1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Mixed Point System

Discussion in 'Other Metagames' started by GreyLane, Feb 5, 2013.

1. GreyLane

GreyLane

As many people around these parts despise, I am one of those equality for all, everything deserves a chance, give anything a shot fools who enjoys mixing tiers. Even so, I love the competitive side of battling, and I was trying to find a way to pit Pokemon of any tier together without changing their stats, movepools or anything of the sort. A balanced metagame, where NU Pokemon are somehow equally viable to Uber Pokemon. While many people have tried mixed tier, I don't think saying "Use this many of X tier Pokemon on each team" really balances things, so much as it causes people depend solely on their strongest Pokemon.

My plan is more detailed than that, but still rather straightforward. A point system, in which players are given a limited amount of points with which to build their team. Each tier would have a point value, with NU being the lowest and Uber being the highest, and would select a team using the points at there disposal. Not only does this allow Pokemon in lower tiers to thrive, as using them means making space for higher tier Pokemon, but it also gives BL/BL2 Pokemon a chance to shine, as they have their own sets of points as well. The point distribution system I've thought of is:

Total Points: 30

Uber: 12
    OU: 8
    BL: 7
    UU: 6
    BL2: 5
    RU: 4
    BL3 (If it comes to exist): 3
    NU/NFEs not in an above tier: 2

I tried to balance things out as much as possible, but still have yet to find people to help play test it. The tier points/total points can be tweaked if necessary (which is likely) and tier changes may be necessary to accommodate the different rules (I can see NU weather sweepers becoming a favorite).

All normal clauses are in effect (Moody/Evasion/OHKO/Species/Sleep) In addition to one more: You must use a full team of six Pokemon. The number for the point total may seem arbitrary, but the Full Team clause combined with the 30 point limit prevents the use of two Ubers on a team, while making any other pairing, up to Uber and OU, available.

If people are interested in helping me play test this, please let me know.
  2. ThisMysteriousGuy

ThisMysteriousGuy

Sounds very similar to another OM proposal that got killed off real quickly: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3468481

This is not exactly equality for all. In my opinion, I think the best teams will revolve around using a few powerful OU and Ubers Pokemon with weather and various Pokemon in the lower tiers that abuse the weather extremely well. Just because a Pokemon is in a low tier doesn't mean they can't become a deadly force given the right conditions...

Also, to quote Arcticblast in the above thread:

3. Arcticblast

Arcticblast It hasn't been as nice at night these last few days
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner

wow way to take my quote out of context >:(

I think this metagame has a higher chance of success than the one TMG linked, but typically these systems tend to work out poorly, with (as TMG said) teams revolving around a couple really good Pokemon and a few that happen to support said good Pokemon well. Realistically, what Pokemon below OU is stopping CM Kyogre?
  4. The Zororoaster

The Zororoaster

TLDR:
    -Make NUs worth 3 points.
    -Add a rule stating that no more than 3 Pokemon of the same tier can be on a team.

Long version:

Interesting idea. I'm not quite sure if points are distributed properly though.

All possible team combinations, I starred all the viable ones:
    * 1 Uber 1 OU 4 NU
    * 3 OU 3 NU
    * 2 OU 1 UU 1 RU 2 NU
    1 OU 3 UU 2 NU
    * 4 UU 1 RU 1 NU
    3 UU 3 RU
    2 UU 4 RU
    1 UU 5 RU

- It seems like it would be better if there were a maximum of 2 OUs on a team, if you truly wanted to make an interesting mixed tier system. Otherwise 3 OUs 3 NUs would be far too prevalent. A weather setting OU. 2 weather abusing OU Pokemon, some weather abusing NU Pokemon. Easy team.

- 1 Uber 1 OU 4 NU. Neat. You may have to remove Ubers all together though. An Uber with an OU teammate to support him could easily dominate everyone.

- 2 OU 1 UU 1 RU 2 NU. Eh. Personally I think this would be the most fun to see and play with, but I don't think the gain of an UU and a RU make up for the loss of one OU pokemon.

- 4 UU 1 RU 1 NU. UU is still pretty viable against upper tier stuff, and this is the way to get the most high tier guys.

Every other option sucks.

Recommendation to improve meta game: Make NUs worth 3 points. Now an Uber cannot be paired with an OU pokemon, there is a maximum of 2 OUs allowed per team. And overall we have a lot more variety. Observe.

Possible team combinations if NUs are worth 3:
    * 1 Uber 1 UU 4 NU
    * 2 OU 2 RU 2 NU
    *1 OU 2 UU 1 RU 2 NU
    1 OU 2 UU 3 NU
    *4 UU 2 NU - PROBLEM
    * 3 UU 2 RU 1 NU
    3 UU 1 RU 2 NU
    2 UU 3 RU 1 NU
    1 UU 4 RU 1 NU

What we see is a lot more variety in the teams, and much more interesting combos! Additionally, with no OU teammates, an Uber could be reasonably balanced in this new system.

My big problem is the 4 UU and 2 NU team. 4 UUs on one team seems a bit imbalanced when compared to the rest of these teams, 4 UU vs 2 OU is just an unfair match-up.

Possible solution to this. Another rule stating that no more than 3 Pokemon of the same tier can be on any team. This means that the Uber can only pair with 2 RU and 3 NU, making the Uber an even weaker option. It also means that the 4 UU 2 NU team does not become too much to handle. Overall I see this point system combined with this one rule to be a good way to create interesting mixed tier teams.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)