1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

MMG-MammothMusicGroup

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Jmoolah, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Jmoolah

Jmoolah

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Whats up smogon, I’m Jmoolah and this is my first RMT post. My team is basically built around each team member having good team synergy with one another and covering each others weaknesses, causing switches for my opponent while wearing them down with hazards and giving breloom and chandelure an opportunity to set up and sweep. So without further ado, here’s my team!

[​IMG]
    Scarface (Skarmory) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 232 SDef / 24 Spd
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Brave Bird
    - Whirlwind
    - Roost
    - Spikes

I lead with Skarmory for the majority of my matches. He is usually able to get up a few layers of spikes, and combined with whirlwind he can phase out setup sweepers like Reuniclus, bulk up Conk and Latios. I made Skarm specially defensive so he can tank draco meteors and other special attacks, and he soaks up those attacks pretty well, and is able to roost back to health when he’s low. His numerous resistances really help the team a lot, and he makes a great defensive pivot mid game. I’ve been using taunt to stop setup sweepers, blissey and ferrothorn, but ive been thinking about switching it to Brave Bird so he’s not taunt bait himself.

Synergy:
    Fire- Chandelure, Starmie
    Electric- Mamoswine, Breloom

[​IMG]
    Boomer (Breloom) (M) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Substitute
    - Focus Punch
    - Spore
    - Seed Bomb

This magic mushroom kangaroo is no joke, and while he’s pretty predictable, he can (literally) punch huge holes in teams that have no answer for him. He puts his opponent to sleep, sets up a sub and then proceeds to wreck shit with focus punch and seed bomb. He’s my main counter to bulky waters, gastrodon, and rain teams in general. Putting dangerous mons to sleep and essentially taking them out of the game for a little while is valuable to the team. He is also my main counter to tyranitar, since he is faster and can put him to sleep and then ko with focus punch. If I see a tyranitar on my opponents team preview, I usually lead with breloom. Everyone knows how this fellow works, but he still shits on unsuspecting players.

Synergy:
    Flying- Skarmory
    Psychic- Skarmory, Starmie
    Poison- Mamoswine, Skarmory
    Ice- Starmie, Chandelure

[​IMG]
    YankeeCandle (Chandelure) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 48 HP / 208 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Fire Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Psychic/HP Fighting

Chandelure is the heart of the team. The recipe for him is simple: come in on an attack he resists, sub on the switch, and proceed to wreck shit with fire blast and shadow ball. I threw psychic on there for coverage against fighting types, who are often surprised by the fact I have it, getting me a nice ko. However, Chandelure is walled hard by dragons and blissey, so I might change that to hidden power fighting for better coverage, or perhaps energy ball to deal with swapert. Chandelure has great synergy with the rest of the team and has some key resists, and he is quite the monster once he gets going.

Synergy:
    Water- Starmie, Breloom
    Ground- Skarmory, Breloom
    Rock- Breloom
    Ghost- Porygon2, Skarmory
    Dark- Breloom, Skarmory

[​IMG]
    Ray Romano (Mamoswine) (M) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Snow Cloak
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    - Stealth Rock
    - Stone Edge/Icicle Crash
    - Ice Shard
    - Earthquake

Everybody loves Raymond here, and he is a badass. Mamo is my stealth rock setter, and with focus sash, he usually gets the chance to set up rocks at the very least. Ice shard helps me pick off weakened dragons and grass types, and earthquake deals serious damage coming off of mamo’s nice attack. I can’t decide between stone edge and icicle crash, as icicle crash nets me some nice KOs that ice shard wouldn’t get, but stone edge seems more consistent in its power. I’ve been thinking of possibly putting a scarf on mamoswine and putting rocks on skarm, since he usually ends up cleaning up my opponent late game, but im not too sure about it, since I like being able to switch moves.

Synergy:
    Steel- Starmie, Chandelure
    Grass- Breloom, Chandelure, Skarmory
    Fighting- Chandelure, Starmie, Breloom
    Water- Starmie, Breloom

[​IMG]
    Maurygon (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Trace
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Discharge
    - Ice Beam
    - Toxic
    - Recover

Porygon is my defensive pivot, and he can tank hits like a mofo. If I see an attack coming that none of my teammates resist, porygon is usually my go to guy. With eviolite, he becomes a defensive monster, and he’s got pretty solid special defense too. He also has great synergy with chandelure. Toxic is there to spread poison, which helps to wear down the opponent, working well with recover to stall out pokes that I have no answer for. Discharge and ice beam form a pseudo boltbeam combo, and are a great counter to dragons since pory can tank outrages.

Synergy:
    Fighting- Chandelure, Breloom, Starmie

[​IMG]
    Patrick (Starmie) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    - Surf/Hydro Pump
    - Thunderbolt
    - Rapid Spin
    - Ice Beam/Recover

With all the switching that my team does, I needed to have a rapid spinner, and since Starmie is the best in the tier, I put Patrick on my team. Starmie works as a great counter to bulky waters because he has thunderbolt, and ice beam completes the boltbeam combo. Surf is for stab, and Ive been thinking of putting hydro pump on Patrick instead for more power, but I don’t really like missing. I also want to possibly include recover, but I don’t know which attack to take out, most likely ice beam. Overall, starmie works as a good fast revenger and does a good job spinning away hazards.

Synergy:
    Electric- Mamoswine, Breloom
    Grass- Skarmory, Breloom
    Ghost- Porygon2, Skarmory
    Dark- Breloom, Skarmory
    Bug- Chandelure, Skarmory

Well that’s pretty much it. The team has trouble with fast pokemon, particularly scarfed pokes like terrakion, who can outspeed and wreck my team, especially if breloom is gone. Another problem for the team is toxicroak in the rain, who can take out chandelure if he doesn’t have a sub up and proceed to kick my ass. Gengar is also a problem, being faster than my sweepers and able to easily kill chandelure. Any help with these threats would be great!

Importable:
    Show Hide

Maurygon (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Trace
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Discharge
    - Ice Beam
    - Toxic
    - Recover

YankeeCandle (Chandelure) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 48 HP / 208 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Substitute
    - Fire Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Psychic

Scarface (Skarmory) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 232 SDef / 24 Spd
    - Brave Bird
    - Whirlwind
    - Roost
    - Spikes

Ray Romano (Mamoswine) (M) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Snow Cloak
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    - Stealth Rock
    - Stone Edge
    - Ice Shard
    - Earthquake

Patrick (Starmie) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    - Surf
    - Thunderbolt
    - Rapid Spin
    - Ice Beam

Boomer (Breloom) (M) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Substitute
    - Focus Punch
    - Spore
    - Seed Bomb
  2. AyoGabos

AyoGabos

Hey, great team! To be perfectly honest the only strikingly noticeable thing I would change would be to 100% change Taunt to Brave Bird on the Skarmory.

Add an importable as well if you would not mind! Because it is much better to give a well-rounded rate once the team has actually been tested.

Best of luck :)
  3. VN.

VN. h a d r i a n +
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Hey, this is a pretty nice team, Jmoolah.

I can definitely see Gengar as a problem for this team, as you mentioned. It can force out pretty much everything on your team between Focus Blast/Shadow Ball [which hurt everything significantly] to set up a Substitute, at which point you're hard pressed to break it and will lose a pokemon in the process. Gengar can definitely beaten, but it's great speed tier, ability to use Subtitute, and coverage make it quite a nuisance. Your best bets at defeating it behind a sub are probably Breloom, Pory2 or Skarmory, but they can't KO it and end up losing in the end. CM Reuniclus is also a pretty big problem; it's able to set up all over breloom if you've already wasted a Spore and sets up on Pory2 as well, and Starmie can't take it on at +1. Chandelure is a decent check, but will eventually faint from constantly switching into Psychic, while Skarmory will hate switching into Focus Blast. You'd essentially have to rely on lots of Special Defense drops to beat it with Chandelure or simply hit it with Spore at the right time with Breloom, but overall, CM Reuniclus still retains its potential to sweep your team, given that you lack a Pokemon to outright beat it. Specs Tornadus is yet another Pokemon that is problematic for this team. In short, Hurricane 2HKOs everything and since you have no means of controlling the weather; it will always hit, so nothing will be able to switch in, and Specs Tornadus will be able to tear a massive, massive hole in this team at the very least. I think you can solve all 3 of these problems by adding a Specially Defensive Jirachi to the team, which functions as a hard counter to Gengar, Tornadus and Reuniclus and also provides team support with Body Slam paralysis and Wish. Jirachi can also lure in Steel-Types like Magnezone, Scizor and Skarmory, which Chandelure can double switch in on and get up a free sub. I think you could probably put Jirachi over Mamoswine, since it seems you're using it as a pseudo-suicide lead, and your defensive core handles most Dragon-types, while Grass types won't get past Chandelure. I'd also like to advocate for the use of Hidden Power Fighting on Chandelure, mainly so you can hurt Tyranitar substantially and do more damage to Specially Defensive Heatran, which will add up in conjunction with entry hazards.

[​IMG]
    Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Spd
    - Iron Head
    - Body Slam
    - Wish
    - Stealth Rock

Change Summary:

Chandelure:
    Psychic-> Hidden Power Fighting
  4. Jmoolah

Jmoolah

Thanks Karpman i think i might do that and replace mamo with spdef rachi, but im really gonna miss the priority kills that mamo gets with ice shard, but i feel like jirachi has a lot of pros like wish and serene grace. However, this gives me no defensive answer to electric types because most of them carry boltbeam, which has good coverage on my only other electric resist, breloom. But I definitely will try out rachi and let you know how he does!
  5. peng

peng

I definitely agree with Karpman's suggestion of SDef Jirachi here, as it patches up many of the team's weaknesses.

I don't like SDef Skarmory at all in BW due to the presence of physical behemoths like Dragonite and Terrakion, but I especially don't like it on this team since you have very little that can handle practically any variant of Terrakion; even the comparatively weak Scarf Terrakion can tear some pretty huge holes through this team by dealing 43-51% to your current Skarmory, who is the most physically sturdy Pokemon on your team. Although a couple of Pokemon on your team can get free set-up once you know what move its locked into, a well-played Scarf Terrakion is going to be shaving upwards of 40% off a Pokemon every time it comes in, and this isn't even considering the possibility of it being Choice Band, SubSD or a Life Orb variant which all have the potential to cause even more damage.

Making Skarmory physically defensive (248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd Impish should do, or you can speed creep loads too) gives you another check to Scarf Terrakion, but also allows you to handle opposing Mamoswine, Conkeldurr and Dragonite better. With Karpman's SDef Jirachi suggestion there little reason to use such a Specially defensive spread on Skarmory since they cover practically all the same things. Making Brave Bird your primary option over Taunt goes in tandem with this change, allowing you to actually hit the Pokemon you are switching-in on.

In Summary:
    Skarmory -> Physically Defensive
    Brave Bird over Taunt

Other than that this a cool team! Nice to see Sub Chandelure getting more love recently!
  6. Jmoolah

Jmoolah

Another threat that really seems to trouble my team is alakazam, who is faster and has good coverage against most of my team memebers, even after replacing mamo with spdef rachi. Any help would be appreciated

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)