BW LC MMMMystery on the LC Express! (Peaked #1)

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
What's the mystery you ask? If I knew, then it wouldn't be a mystery!

Ever since I first played LC in the HGSS era, LC has been one of my favorite tiers. I have switched back and forth between it and Ubers, OU, DW, and whatever other tier happens to be the flavor of the month for me. I like Little Cup a lot more this gen now that Eviolite has given some breadth to the tier, and now that the metagame has sort of settled down a bit, I'm hooked. For my new team, I wanted to use a core I have been seeing used very successfully recently, which is that of Mienfoo, Murkrow, and Misdreavus. I built the team originally around CB Mienfoo, since slapping a Choice item on an already powerful Pokemon is usually how I begin any team, and while it did have some success, Ghost-types and Water-types were running through me. After changing Mienfoo's set to that which is here, and adding Chinchou and Deerling over Croagunk and Slowpoke, this team was born:

Mienfoo @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 238 Atk / 238 Spd
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Fake Out

Mienfoo is the first part of my offensive core, and provides priority and ridiculous power. This is my favorite Mienfoo set, and while the Eviolite Knock Off set is nice too, the pure power this set offers is the reason why I went with it. Fake Out breaks Sturdy, Sashes, and offers good damage overall. It also allows me to completely prevent Dwebble from setting up hazards if Stone Edge hits. Hi Jump Kick wields such awesome power, being able to OHKO and 2HKO a large portion of the metagame. Stone Edge provides the best coverage I can get, hitting Flying- and Bug-types super effectively, such as the aforementioned Dwebble. It is also my strongest move against Ghost-types, which can be useful if I successfully predict a switch-in, though I'm more likely to U-turn out to Murkrow. U-turn deals damage and activates Regenerator, healing all the Life Orb recoil damage I just took as well as any weather damage. Mienfoo makes an excellent offensive pivot, and I have yet to make a successful LC team without it.

Murkrow @ Eviolite
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 188 Spd / 36 HP / 20 Def / 236 Atk / 20 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Sucker Punch
- Brave Bird

Originally a SubCM set, I switched to this set when I realized how hard it is to successfully pull off a sweep with mono-Dark coverage. It still provides the Substitute user I wanted, while offering a second priority move to complement Mienfoo. The SubRoost combination becomes 10x more effective with Prankster, making sure that nothing can status me before I throw up a Sub. It also begins a deadly guessing game in tandem with Sucker Punch. Sucker Punch can threaten pretty much every set-up sweeper in the metagame that isn't Scraggy, allowing me to possibly stop a sweeper that got out of hand. Brave Bird hits all the Fighting-types that resist Sucker Punch super effectively, and since Murkrow outspeeds all of them, there is little risk in trying to wipe them out with Brave Bird.

Misdreavus @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 240 Spd / 240 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Scarf Misdreavus wraps up my offensive core by providing a Fighting- and Ground-type immunity, access to Trick, and high power. Shadow Ball is an obvious STAB move, dealing a large amount of damage to enemy Misdreavus, Abra, and Slowpoke, all big threats to my team. Thunderbolt dispatches Murkrow and deals more damage to Staryu than Shadow Ball does, but Chinchou makes using this move risky if it is present. HP Fighting gives me perfect coverage and a way to hit Ferroseed and Munchlax, if only for a decent amount of damage. Trick messes up walls and sticks Pokemon like Ferroseed, Croagunk, and Bronzor with a highly unwanted Choice item. Misdreavus glues the team together in a way, and if I am unsure about what Pokemon to send in next, it will usually be Misdreavus.

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 52 Def / 232 SAtk / 224 Spd
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Grass]
Chinchou I added because I was still feeling very Staryu weak. It can KO Mienfoo all the time and Murkrow if it loses the Speed tie, and with support from Chinchou or another Electric-type resist, Misdeavus becomes a shaky check. I went with a bulky Agility set, because it actually doesn't miss the power Life Orb gives too much. Hydro Pump, in my opinion, is one of the best moves in LC because of the sheer power it provides, along with the Water-types excellent coverage. STAB Thunderbolt complements it wonderfully by roasting other Water-types not named Chinchou. Hidden Power Grass I have been running solely for opposing Chinchou, but I am giving serious thought to changing it to HP Fire. I have experienced a ton of missed set-up opportunities just becausee the opponent had a Snover or Ferroseed in the wings, ready to sop up any attack I could possibly throw at them.

Magnemite @ Occa Berry
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 240 SAtk / 236 HP
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon​

This set was designed to be the best Murkrow counter and lure possible (the fact that its name starts with M as well is a bonus!) Packing a 4x resistance to Brave Bird, a resistance to Sucker Punch and HP Grass, and a surprise Occa Berry to tank Heat Wave and retaliate with Thunderbolt for an OHKO. It also functions excellently as a way to remove enemy Magnemite and Snover, as I take 50% from their HP Fire and OHKO both back with mine. HP Fire can also trap Ferroseed too, but unfortunately Eviolite Bronzor escapes with a 3HKO and carries Earthquake to destroy Magnemite. Flash cannon provides a secondary STAB move that can hit Ground-types, as well as OHKO Snover if HP Fire is a risky option. Volt Switch is a filler move since Magnemite can't waste any HP on Substitutes without dying way too easily. Since Magnemite is so slow, it almost guarantees a free switch plus a large chunk of damage. It can also help me feign a Choice scarf in a pinch.

Deerling @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVs: 36 Def / 196 Atk / 36 SDef / 236 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Jump Kick
- Return
- Nature Power

While it is a strange set, Scarf Deerling is actually a lot better than I had imagined. Even with Chinchou, Water-types were still giving me problems, and so I sought out a Grass-type to fit my team. Deerling is the only Grass-type in LC with what I thought were good Choice item user stats, a high Speed that can outpace Mienfoo without the Scarf (if I were running Jolly, as it is now I only Speed tie without the scarf), and a good attack stat. Seed Bomb makes this kind of set viable and is a great gift to Deerling from B2W2, giving it a reliable Grass STAB to KO weakened Water-types with. Return 2HKOes Dragon Dance Axew, Eviolite Mienfoo, and other stuff I can't name off the top of my head. Jump Kick murders Snover and gives me a move to hit Ferroseed. Nature Power hits Fire-types and Magnemite, as well as being sort of filler-y since Deerling doesn't really get much. While it isn't a murder machine, Deerling can clean up late-game very efficiently, especially with the surprise factor a scarf set carries.

Threat List

Offensive Threats

Mienfoo: Mienfoo can be hard to play around, but Misdreavus is almost a hard counter, and Murkrow can outspeed and KO easily.
Chinchou: Not a threat anymore thanks to Deerling and my own Chinchou. Even so, it completely shuts down Magnemite which can be annoying sometimes.
Misdreavus: Murkrow can set up a Sub on Will-o-Wisp variants and use Sucker Punch on offensive variants.
Staryu: Deerling can get rid of it if it has taken a little bit of residual damage., Misdreavus can also outspeed it, and Chinchou doesn't care about it at all.
Croagunk: Now that they are running Shadow Ball it's harder to beat, but I usually just Trick it a Scarf and it loses a lot of versatility and bulk.
Gastly: Misdreavus
Hippopotas: Chinchou can OHKO it
Murkrow: Magnemite was made specifically to wreck this thing, and Chinchou offers solid back-up.
Drilbur: This thing can be real dangerous, especially if paired with a Ghost-type or with Magnemite. Deerling can smash it if it's not carrying X-Scissor.
Snover: Deerling is faster, Magnemite tanks HP Fire easily and KOes back.
Magnemite: My own Magnemite, Mienfoo, Chinchou, Deerling.
Dwebble: Mienfoo completely shuts it down.
Stunky: Magnemite can take a possible Flamethrower and do a lot with Thunderbolt, and Chinchou can drown it.
Abra: Possibly the biggest threat so far, it outspeeds my whole team and carries Protect to keep Mienfoo at bay. Even if I do get a hit in, its Sash will activate. Unless Murkrow is behind a Sub, I'm losing a lot of Pokemon to this thing.
Diglett: Misdreavus, Murkrow.
Shellder: Mienfoo shuts this down too if it hasn't gotten a boost yet.
Houndour: Mienfoo doesn't like Fire Blast, but can take a Dark Pulse easy. Mienfoo is a good answer as well.
Munchlax: Mienfoo OHKOes it.
Clamperl: Chinchou can kill it if it has no boosts or if I have an Agility.
Drifloon: Apparently, Stone Edge on Mienfoo isn't common because I always net surprise OHKOes on these things.
Omanyte: Mienfoo shuts it down.
Larvesta: Mienfoo has Stone Edge to murder it, and Murkrow has Brave Bird.
Tailow: Mienfoo deals a lot to it with Fake Out, and it can't OHKO Magnemite.
Timburr: Murkrow is my best bet, but if it has too many Bulk Ups I can try to Trick it a Scarf.
Pawniard: Deerling has a sneaky trick in that Nature Power doesn't trigger Sucker Punch, but besides that, if it uses Swords Dance, I'm in big trouble.
Dratini: I haven't faced one yet
Tirtouga: Mienfoo again.
Vullaby: Magnemite is immune to Toxic, 4x resists Brave Bird, and OHKOes with Thunderbolt.
Ponyta: Deerling lures and eliminates it.
Elekid: Deerling can switch in on an Electric-type move and nuke it with Nature Power, and Mienfoo can Fake Out for excellent damage.
Darumaka: Chinchou is my best switch in but it hits really hard. Deerling can lure it and KO it.
Meowth: Misdreavus can Trick it a Scarf or try using HP Fighting.
Porygon: Mienfoo can put a hurting on it.
Exeggcute: U-turn kills it easy, and if sun is up I still have Murkrow.
Axew: Deerling can 2HKO it if it uses Dragon Dance, but folds to any other move.
Aron: Mienfoo has Fake Out + Hi Jump Kick to crush it with, just like every other Sturdy Rock-type in the tier
Mantyke: Chinchou.
Archen: Misdreavus has Thunderbolt to OHKO it with, but besides that it can be a pain.
Deino: Mienfoo can revenge kill it if it is locked into Outrage, but this is another hard hitter that I can't switch into.
Joltik: Magnemite shuts it down easily.
Solosis: Murkrow doesn't care about Trick Room because of all its priority moves.
Cranidos: Mienshao can beat all but scarf variants, but can't switch in. Deerling can beat Scarfers.
Doduo: Can't touch Magnemite.
Machop: Confusion sucks, but Murkrow can OHKO it and Misdreavus can weaken it enough for Mienfoo to revenge it.
Voltorb: Deerling outspeeds and OHKOes before the rain goes up.
Oddish: Even a sun boosted HP Fire fails to OHKO Magnemite, while my HP Fire will OHKO it.

LC Defensive Threats
Bronzor: Magnemite only does 40% with HP Fire, so if Bronzor has Earthquake I have to use Mienfoo to finish it off.
Misdreavus: Defensive sets are a pain but if Murkrow gets up a Sub, it can wreck it.
Hippopotas: Chinchou.
Murkrow: Magnemite, Chinchou if that is gone.
Ferroseed: Magnemite traps and kills it.
Frillish: Magnemite and Chinchou can OHKO it, Deerling 2HKOes but fears scald burns.
Munchlax: Mienfoo.
Lileep: Magnemite and Mienfoo kill it easily.
Tentacool: Deerling can 2HKO with Nature Power, Murkrow can set up a Sub while I fail to care about Toxic Spikes.
Natu: Murkrow, Mienfoo, Misdreavus, Chinchou, and Magnemite.
Slowpoke: Chinchou dispatches it, Magnemite too.
Koffing: Haven't facedit, but I'm quite sure Magnemite can destroy it.
Vullaby: Magnemite doesn't care about it at all.
Wynaut: It can't trap Mienfoo or Magnemite, Murkrow can beat it with prediction, Misdreavus can Trick it or OHKO if it is weakened a little.
Porygon: Mienfoo is my best bet, but it hates Thunder Wave.
Cottonee: Sap Sipper Deerling absorbs most of its moveset, especially Stun Spore which can be annoying.
Shelmet: Murkrow OHKOes it.
Aron: Mienfoo stops it cold.
Oddish: Murkrow can crush it easily.

Conclusion

I haven't hit #1 on any ladder for a very long time, so I'm excited to finally claim the spot for myself again. While I'm still not satisfied with how weak I can be to some common pairs, including the vast majority of what user raseri brings to the battle, I'm still very pleased with this team overall.

I'm terrible with conclusions so I'm just gonna say rate hate steal and be done with ok

Importable:

Mienfoo (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SDef / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Murkrow (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 40 HP / 236 Atk / 20 Def / 20 SDef / 192 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Roost
- Sucker Punch
- Brave Bird

Misdreavus (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 240 SAtk / 240 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Chinchou (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 56 Def / 232 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Agility
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Magnemite @ Occa Berry
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 112 Def / 240 SAtk / 156 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Deerling (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sap Sipper
EVs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SDef / 236 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Seed Bomb
- Return
- Jump Kick
- Nature Power

Not much to say Hawkstar, this is a very solid team. One change that I can recommend is to use Magnet Rise in the place of Volt Switch on your Magnemite. You will be able to trap Bronzer easily, helping Deerling, Murkrow, and Misdreavus especially. If your Occa Berry remains intact, you're also down to just a single weakness, and while Fighting types are common you should get in some more good hits before going down. Also a great strategy against sand, because even the Magnemite they're likely to have can't beat you due to Occa, and Hippo / Drilbur can't hit you until Magnet Rise wears off, allowing Magnemite to sifficiently weaken the opposing team.

My only other suggestion is to consider using an Eviolite Misdreavus in place of your scarf set. The main reason I say to do this is because Misdreavus is the main counter to Fighting-types for your team. Without extra bulk or recovery, Misdreavus is prone to being worn down or Pursuited, which means Croagunk or Mienfoo can spam STAB moves easily. With Murkrow's Sucker Punch, Mienfoo's Fake Out, and Scarf Deerling, you should not miss the revenge killing opportunities, especially considering that Misdreavus is quite fast even without its scarf.

Anyways, it's a cool team with some unique sets. Hope I helped a little bit.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Not much to say Hawkstar, this is a very solid team. One change that I can recommend is to use Magnet Rise in the place of Volt Switch on your Magnemite. You will be able to trap Bronzer easily, helping Deerling, Murkrow, and Mismagius especially. If your Occa Berry remains intact, you're also down to just a single weakness, and while Fighting types are common you should get in some more good hits before going down. Also a great strategy against sand, because even the Magnemite they're likely to have can't beat you due to Occa, and Hippo / Drilbur can't hit you until Magnet Rise wears off, allowing Magnemite to sifficiently weaken the opposing team.

My only other suggestion is to consider using an Eviolite Misdreavus in place of your scarf set. The main reason I say to do this is because Misdreavus is the main counter to Fighting-types for your team. Without extra bulk or recovery, Misdreavus is prone to being worn down or Pursuited, which means Croagunk or Mienfoo can spam STAB moves easily. With Murkrow's Sucker Punch, Mienfoo's Fake Out, and Scarf Deerling, you should not miss the revenge killing opportunities, especially considering that Misdreavus is quite fast even without its scarf.

Anyways, it's cool team with some unique sets. Hope I helped a little bit.
Those are some really good suggestions and I'll try them out as soon as possible. I especially like the idea of Magnet Rise, since I also outspeed Hippopotas barely, so I can set up on that too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)