1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Moar Dragonite Winning

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by KurashiDragon, May 8, 2012.

1. KurashiDragon

KurashiDragon

Introduction
    Hey everyone. This is KurashiDragon coming to you with a RMT. Now I'm that much of a battler anymore. I don't enjoy 5th gen all that much truthfully so I tend to stay away from the battling scene. However, that doesn't mean I don't battle at all or spend a crap ton of time on smogon checking all the latest stuff. Lately I've spent alot of time on Showdown and made a team on there. I'm overall impressed with this team because it has a consistent win record (User: kurashidragon ou: 1717 (GXE:70)(W:59/L:28/T:1) and yes I have only been using this team.) in a team I actually like. (I'll be honest, that's a rarity with me.) Anyway, I've bored you enough. Without further blabbery here's my team.​

Team Preview
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Like it or not this is my team. My team is a bulky offensive team. (I always do this in the end because I love the way it works.) When I got on PS I was having trouble getting my PO teams onto Showdown so in the end I just decided to make my own team. Of course I was gonna base it around Dragonite. The main beast of my team. Rotom-W and Ferrothorn were there because I liked them. I've used them with Dragonite and they all work well together. Gengar came next because I recently read a bunch of different posts about Sub/disable Gengar and decided to see what all the fuss was about. I liked it alot so I stuck with it. Heatran came next because I wanted something powerful and worked well with my team. Alakazam came last and I swear to whoever I HATE PICKING THE LAST POKEMON! It's always so annoying. You can never find that one pokemon that's just perfect. It fits your team together like some sorta puzzle that just doesn't feel right without it. Alakazam is there for many reasons which I'll get into later.​

I have 3 cores on this team. My Double Layered Defensive core. My first Defensive core is my Dragon/Steel Core of Dragonite, Heatran, and Ferrothorn. My second core is my FWG core of Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Rotom-W. My offensive core consists of Dragonite, Heatran, and Rotom-w who not only cover each others weaknesses rather well but also play on each others strengths. Just so you know all 3 are choiced because my offensive core isn't designed to be a set up offensive core. It's supposed to be a offensive core based around putting pressure on my opponents team with many fast and powerful attacks. It works well because my offensive core is integrated into my defensive core which gives me many more options with the limited options of a Choiced Pokemon. My support core is Gengar and Alakazam. They aren't used often and that's what I wanted from them. While making this team, I decided to go with them for last case scenarios. They're just incase I put myself into a corner and I need them to get me out of it. Anyway, I've bored you enough. Let's get started with the Pokemon themselves.​

Individual Team

[​IMG]

Rotom-W@Choice Scarf
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Levitate
    Evs: 4HP, 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spe
    Moves: Hydro Pump, Volt Switch, Will-O-Wisp, Trick
    Bio: This is my Rotom Lead and it's my second most favorite lead so far. (Ditto comes in first :D) The reason I love this as a lead is because it's very good against alot of the leads I go against. Against 3/4 weather, I'll have something to do. Against Politoed, I'll either Volt Switch inflicting major damage and giving me priority or predict the obvious switch to Gastrodon and trick my scarf. Ninetails is a fair bit tougher than Politoed because my Hydro Pump is weakened and it has Energy ball so I'll usually Volt Switch to Heatran to take most of what it has. (Hopefully it doesn't use hypnosis) Against Tyranitar, I'll Will-O-Wisp. Usually tyranitar leads are the Stealth Rock variants but even still that WoW will help when going against crunch. Abamasnow is the only one I have problem with as nothing I had really affects it and it can just Wood Hammer me to death. Luckily, Hail Teams aren't very common so I don't have to worry much.​

One if not the only thing you may be wondering about this Rotom is wtf is it doing with Will-O-Wisp and Scarf Trick? Will-o-trick is very potent in doing what I intend it to do. There's alot of surprise factor in it because nobody really expects a status move with trick. It allows me to get in alot of surprising status inflictions. How many things have set up on me thinking I have no means of defending myself? Dragonites, Scizors, Terrakions, Haxorus', and things like that. Will-o-trick is so fun to do. It's got alot of surprise factor and even without the surprise factor, it really works.​

[​IMG]
    Dragonite@Choice Band
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Multi Scale
    Evs: 248 HP, 252 Atk, 8 Spd
    Moves: Outrage, Extremespeed, Waterfall, Fire Punch
    Bio: There's not much to say about Dragonite. It's my most favorite Pokemon so of course I would make a team out of it. My favorite set in 5th gen is CBnite because of the power it offers and versatility it has. Dragonite's role is in the Defensive and Offensive core. In the defensive core it fills it's role with Ferrothorn or Heatran as the Dragon/Steel Defensive Core. On the offensive core it goes with Heatran and Rotom-w for the offensive core. ​

Dragonite has alot to do on my team. With Outrage it can tear through my opponent's team when I need it to. With Extremespeed it becomes a valuable Revenge Killer that can net kills on the fastest and the well set up Pokemon that the rest of my team probably couldn't handle otherwise. Waterfall allows it to take on things that could take and Outrage or ExtremeSpeed. Fire Punch is for the Steel Types that can take the rest of it's moves.​

A little off topic for a second, the reason why I chose that picture for Dragonite is because a week ago I got a Dragonite Plushie from my Best Friend. It's way to adorable so I had to find a picture to use for it.​

[​IMG]
    Ferrothorn@Leftovers
    Nature: Relaxed
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    Evs: 252 HP, 88 Def, 168 Sp Def
    Moves: Power Whip, Stealth Rock, Leech Seed, Thunder Wave
    Bio: Ferrothrorn does alot for this team. It's a major part of my defensive core because it makes up both the major part of my Dragon/Steel Core and a part of my FWG core. Heatran does the same thing in this regard however, Ferrothron is much more defensive which means it will be the much more used portion of the defensive core on this team. It's also my Stealth Rocker which is needed for this team with Dragonite, Alakazam, Rotom-W, and Heatran needing rocks for doing what they do. Leech seed makes it a pseudo heal that Dragonite appreciates when rocks are up and it needs a way to keep it's health up. It's the Status spreader with Thunder Wave which my team appriciates with Dragonite being so slow and alot of threats needing to be slowed down. Power Whip is just there. XD It's the main and only attack Ferrothorn has that keeps it protected from taunters.​

[​IMG]
    Alakazam@Focus Sash
    Ability: Magic Guard
    Evs: 4 Def, 252 Sp Atk 252 Spd
    Moves: Psychic, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Hp Fire
    Bio: The most weird portion of my team has started. Why is Alakazam here? When you look at the rest of my team you'll see that Alakazam doesn't look like it belongs. it doesn't have very good offensive or defensive synergy with the rest of my team. Well that's because it's apart of the support core as I mentioned before. Alakazam is there just incase a set up sweeper get's to set up and I have no real way out. With Magic Guard, strong Sp Atk and a variety of moves Alakazam makes it easy to stop set up sweepers in their tracks. It works well with Dragonite because even if it does fail in taking down the set up sweeper it put enough damage on it so that Dragonite can come in and hopefully destory it with a +2 priority Extremespeed. Psychic is it's Stab and main attack. Shadow ball is to take on things psychic cant like ghost types. Focus Blast is to take on Steel Types and HP Fire is the secondary attack to take on steel types like scizor. ​

[​IMG]
    Gengar@Leftovers
    Evs: 4 Hp, 252 Sp Atk 252 Spd
    Moves: Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Substitute, Disable
    Bio: Gengar is another Pokemon that doesn't look like it belongs and that's because like Alakazam, it's the support portion of my team. However, unlike Alakazam it's much more complicated than that. Gengar is there to scout and annoy. There are plenty of things that like to switch in on Gengar and alot of those things my team doesn't like so it's good for gengar to be on my team simply because of that but also because it can probably stop those Pokemon. To name one, Tyranitar can be a threat to my team because of it's wide movepool. Gengar provides a valuable check to Tyranitar because it can sub up to protect it from Tyranitar's attack or attacks in general. It can then Focus Blast it to oblivion or disable the crunch and giving me more options as to what I want to do next. Substitute and Disable is a valuable tool for scouting my opponents move and making choices that will likely turn the game in my favor which makes Gengar a valuable support member of my team. ​

[​IMG]
    Heatran@Choice Scarf
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Evs: 4 HP, 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd
    Moves: Overheat, Earth Power, Dragon Pulse, HP Grass
    Bio: Heatran is the last member of my team that I'll have to show you. Heatran completes the team by being apart of my FWG core with Rotom and Ferrothorn, the secondary steel of my Steel/Dragon Core along with Dragonite, and the main offensive core along with Dragonite and rotom. Heatran has always been kind of the black sheep of my team which is strange because of Alakazam and Gengar being there but it's not because it's strange being on my team. It's because I've always had trouble giving it a role. I've chosen between The ballon set, the Life Orb Set, The Specs Set and the Scarf set. The ballon set the the obvious no. It just didn't have the power to run well with the rest of my team and didn't support it as well as I thought. The Life Orb Set while strong also didn't feel right. The Specs set was what I stuck with for a while until I realized that I can work with it much better if it were scarfed. While the specs set was strong there was alot of things that were outrunning this team and Rotom couldn't hold them all off. So I switched to the scarf set and so far I haven't looked back. It works well with the rest of my team because it outspeeds alot of threats to my team. ​

Going into the moves for a second, Overheat is it's Stab Move and the reason I chose Modest instead of timid. While it is true that outspeeding things was the thing I wanted heatran to do I also wanted Overheat to be as strong as it could be so I gave it modest. Earth Power is there for opposing Heatran and things that could likely take an Overheat. Dragon Pulse is for the Dragon Types that can take both Overheat and Earth Power. Finally, HP Grass is for the water types that think they can switch in on heatran no problem. ​

Here's the export for you guys​

Show Hide
    Rotom-W@Choice Scarf
    Evs: 4 HP / 252 Sp Atk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+ Spd -Atk)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Volt Switch
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Trick

Dragonite@Choice Band
    Ability: Multi Scale
    Evs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk -Sp Atk)
    - Outrage
    - Extremespeed
    - Waterfall
    - Fire Punch

Ferrothorn@Leftovers
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    Evs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 Sp Def
    Relaxed Nature (+Def -Spd)
    - Power Whip
    - Stealth Rock
    - Leech Seed
    - Thunder Wave

Alakazam@Focus Sash
    Ability: Magic Guard
    Evs: 4 Def / 252 Sp Atk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd - Atk)
    - Psychic
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power (Fire)

Gengar@Leftovers
    Timid Nature (+Spd -Atk)
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Substitute
    - Disable

Heatran@Choice Scarf
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Modest Nature (+Sp Atk -Atk)
    - Overheat
    - Earth Power
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Hidden Power (Grass)

That's my Team. I hope you enjoyed reading my RMT. Like I thought, it took me a few hours to do simply from editing and getting it all down just right. So I hope you all enjoy the way it looks. I'm all tired and stuff because I did this in the middle of the night. Plz give me your opinions even if you don't find any major problems with this team. I'm not gonna overestimate this team because no team is entirely perfect. If there are ways I can make this team better don't hesitate to give your opinion. I'm always looking to make myself better. ​

Alright I'm done. It's way to late for me to still be awake. Plz give your opinions and I'll ttyl. ;D​
  2. Professor Birch

Professor Birch

Nice team you got here. I have a few item recommendations. Alakazam from Focus Sash to Life Orb. It takes no life orb damage but gets the boost. For Gengar change Leftovers to Focus Sash or Life Orb. It can not take a hit so Leftovers is pointless. Then for Heatran change Choice Sacrf to Air Balloon. These should all work better. Good Luck with the team!
  3. Professor Science

Professor Science

Uhh Pokemasta77, read the descriptions. The Focus Sash is to survive a hit- he mentioned that ALakazam is to stop set-up sweepers, and against anything faster than it, (especially Dragon Dancers) Alakazam will be OHKOd without a chance to stop them / severely damage them. Having said that, Life Orb is completely viable and a pretty good item for Alakazam, but not in this situation.

As for Gengar, it absolutely needs Leftovers to heal off Substitute damage, or else it's annoying longevity will be cut quite short.

Anyway I really like this team, great work. I don't see any major flaws here.
  4. DestinyUnknown

DestinyUnknown in other words...
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus

Hi KurashiDragon, you got a cool team here!

Onto the rate, I strongly think you should replace Alakazam. I know you've said it's your way to deal with setting up sweepers but, in my opinion, this can be handled with a more effective way, which is using a bulkier pokemon to check some threats. As such, I think your team would benefit a lot of using Gliscor, as you're pretty weak to fighting types, especially Terrakion and Conkeldurr. Gliscor also makes a great partner for Heatran and Ferrothorn, thus creating a good defensive core.

Gliscor@Toxic Orb | Poison Heal
    Nature Impish | 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
    Earthquake / Substitute / Protect / Toxic

Since you already have Scarf Rotom-W, I don't see any reason to use Scarf Heatran. Your team lacks a solid reply to Volcarona (scarf Heatran just gets set up on) as well as sun sweepers, so I think you should replace your current heatran set with a Specially Defensive one. Here's the set:

Heatran@Leftovers | Flash Fire
    Nature Calm | 252 Hp / 100 SpD / 160 Spe
    Lava Plume / Protect / Stealth Rock / Roar

Finally, I would replace Stealth Rock with Spikes on Ferrothorn, because Heatran can already provide you with Stealth Rock support, and your team has an spinblocker (Gengar) to make sure your hazards aren't spun.

Good Luck!
  5. Lazyboy

Lazyboy

Hey KurashiDragon, really nice team here with very few weaknesses (although there are a couple).

First off, as you said yourself, alakazam is an odd choice for a final poke. Whilst it does act as a great catch all check for setup sweepers, it gets 1 chance per game. With several offensive cores you may need an answer to threats such as Rock Polish Terrakion and Dragon Dance Salamence multiple times throughout the game. You could possibly use CB Scizor over Alakazam to help with these threats. Whilst it isn't the most original suggestion, Scizor has great synergy with your team. It can take Ice and Dragon moves aimed at Dragonite and force them out, it also pairs well with Rotom-W forming a VoltTurn core. It also draws Fire-type moves to no end, giving Heatran free Flash Fire boosts.

Speaking of Heatran, you mentioned that you disliked the Balloon set, but I feel it would be better suited for your team. For starters, your team is pretty weak to DD Salamence, as it outspeeds everything at +1 and can do serious damage to everything on your team. It won't sweep you clean, Dragonites Extremespeed prevents that, but getting Dragonite in safely either requires you to sacrifice something else or risk switching into a scarf'd Outrage or Mixmence's Draco Meteor, both of which will Ohko without multiscale. Balloon Heatran gives you a really safe switch into almost all forms of Salamence (bar Mixmence's Brick Break or Specs Hydro Pump). Secondly, Balloon Heatran can use Stealth Rock as it's support move of choice, freeing up a move slot on Ferrothron for Spikes. The added residual damage can really help Dragonite turn some 2hko's into Ohko's, as well as helping your new VoltTurn core do more damage (should you decide to use scizor). Finally, choiced Heatran is set up bait for a lot of threats when locked into the wrong move. Dragonite, Haxorus and Salamence can set up on anything bar Dragon Pulse, Terrakion can set up on Heatran locked into Fire Blast or Dragon Pulse (Earth Power too if it has a Balloon). Whereas Balloon Heatran is more difficult to set up on, due to it's wider coverage. Also, if you do decide to use Scizor, some of the pressure is taken off of Heatran, so his revenging duties will be less vital.

Finally, the team is particularly weak to Substitute Hydreigon. At the moment, it can come in on Heatran locked into anything bar Dragon Pulse, Rotom-W locked into Hydro Pump and Ferrothorn if it avoids Thunder Wave or Leech Seed. It can then proceed to sub up and do massive damage to your team with Draco Meteor, Focus Blast and Fire Blast, almost always netting at least 1 KO. Jellicent would be the best answer to this, but detracts from the offensive nature of the team. Otherwise, just be wary of the possible threat.

So that's my general thoughts on the team, overall it's really solid. Good luck with the team and I hope you found my suggestions useful

Peace~
  6. KurashiDragon

KurashiDragon

Thank you for your suggestions everyone. To Lazyboy and DestinyUnknown, I see your options have value in Gliscor as it's able to check most of the things you stated would give my team problems. I'll test Gliscor out on this team and get back to you. tywm for your suggestions. While I'm testing please don't hesistate to continue to give advice. Thanks everyone :D
  7. alexwolf

alexwolf King of Conquerors
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

In the 2nd paragraph of your team's Team Preview, you say that Dnite, Heatran and Rotom-W are all scarfed, while you meant that they are choiced. Nice team btw!
  8. KurashiDragon

KurashiDragon

ty Alex. I've corrected it.
  9. Shurtugal

Shurtugal The Enterpriser.
    is a Pre-Contributor

I play on showdown too! I think I seen this before (I'm dragonrider cre 1888.)

Anyways,

Nice team, but I don't see how scarftran is good. I would run modest flame charge heatran, whith balloon instead. Can switch attacks, nice speed, and 393 SAtk is more than enough offense so I don't see how "the ballon set isn't offensive enough."

Also, why alakazam? Cb scizor helps out tran, and is great with rotom-w. I would change him. Also, waterfall has redundant coverage compared to earthquake, and eq is stronger. Waterfall is only viable in rain, change it :) On rotom-w, I would go with hp ice, or fire, over wow. Hitting dragonite with the ability to outspeed +1 variants is handy, just make sure eskeed can't kill. Hp fire hits scizor / abanasnow so it's a thought.

Threat:

Double Dancing Terrakion (easily rock polishes on heatran, gg)

Gl

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)