RU Moltres

Overview
########

Thanks to its sky high base 125 Special Attack and 90 / 90 / 85 defenses, Moltres is one of the most fearsome Pokemon in RU. When it's given the right support, Moltres is capable of OHKOing or 2HKOing the entire tier with its powerful STAB moves. It's also able to boost its middling Speed to absurd levels with Agility to become an even deadlier sweeper. Moltres isn't limited to offense; it can run a defensive moveset to take advantage of its above average defenses, great typing, great ability in Pressure, and access to reliable recovery in Roost. Moltres should always have Rapid Spin or Defog support because of its weakness to Stealth Rock. Moltres also has common Rock-, Water-, and Electric-type weaknesses. Despite its flaws, Moltres is a lethal attacker that should never be overlooked.

Life Orb Attacker
########
name: Life Orb Attacker
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Hurricane
move 3: Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Roost
ability: Pressure
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

This is arguably the best Moltres set in RU; its power, versatility, and coverage are qualities that set it apart from the tier's offensive Pokemon. Fire Blast is Moltres's most useful STAB move, as it's capable of hitting a majority of the tier for large amounts of damage. Hurricane is Moltres's secondary STAB move that hits most things for great damage and covers most of the Pokemon that resist Fire Blast. Hidden Power Grass rounds out Moltres's coverage, and allows Moltres to hit Ground-, Water-, and Rock-types for super effective damage. Roost is handy, enabling Moltres to recover from Stealth Rock and Life Orb damage as well as resisted hits, increasing its longevity.

Set Details
========

A Timid nature and maximum EV investment in Special Attack and Speed ensures that Moltres will hit as hard and fast as possible. It's also possible to give Moltres a Modest nature but it won't be able to outspeed Pokemon such as Rotom-C that it would normally. Life Orb adds to Moltres's exceptional power and is useful for ensuring Fire Blast and Hurricane attain crucial KOs. The 4 EVs in Defense instead of in HP will allow Moltres to switch into Stealth Rock twice without being KOed.

Usage Tips
========

Because of Moltres's Fire / Flying typing, it loses 50% of its health every time it switches into Stealth Rock, which means Moltres should always be paired with a Pokemon who can remove entry hazards. Moltres also needs a teammate that can set hazards up as they are crucial to secure numerous OHKOs and 2HKOs. For example, after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes, Assault Vest Slowking is 2HKOed by Hurricane.

Team Options
========

Moltres needs a teammate that can clear the field of hazards because Stealth Rock cuts its health in half every time it switches in. Hitmonlee is RU's best offensive spinner because of its incredibly strong STAB move High Jump Kick, which allows Hitmonlee to eliminate hazard setters like Rhyperior and Druddigon. Shiftry is another Pokemon that shares great synergy with Moltres because of its ability to clear the field of all hazards with Defog, and at the same time, challenge Moltres's biggest counters, which are the tier's bulky Water-type Pokemon. Giving Moltres hazard support is just as important as pairing it with a teammate who can remove hazards. Druddigon is one of the best Pokemon to consider for a hazard supporting role, as with its great bulk and Dragon-typing, it's able to absorb Water- and Electric-type attacks aimed at Moltres. Druddigon is no sitting duck; it has a huge base 120 Attack and a plethora of moves that can take advantage of its sky-high Attack. Zoroark is another great option because of its ability to challenge Moltres's counters with its powerful attacks such as Knock Off, Grass Knot, Flamethrower, and Sucker Punch. Grass Knot allows it to beat Rock-, Water-, and Ground-type switch-ins and Knock Off devastates everything else. It's also able to masquerade as Moltres thanks to its ability, Illusion, and can confuse the opponent longer through the use of Flamethrower. Also, a Pokemon that can spread paralysis can also be very useful and it would make it possible for Moltres to beat Pokemon such as Cobalion, Virizion, and Delphox that outspeed it.

Agility
########
name: Agility
move 1: Hurricane
move 2: Flamethrower / Fire Blast
move 3: Agility
move 4: Roost / Hidden Power Grass
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
evs: 104 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
nature: Modest

Moves
========

Agility is an extremely useful supporting move that enables Moltres to increase its base 90 Speed stat. After one boost, Moltres's Speed is propelled to an insane 506, which allows it to outspeed everything up to Choice Scarf base 105 Speed Pokemon. Flamethrower is used over Fire Blast because this set is mainly for mid- or late-game sweeping, which means Moltres can't afford to miss. Also, around that time in the game, most of the opponent's Pokemon would be weakened, so Flamethrower would clean up nicely. However, if you prefer the extra power, Fire Blast can be used over Flamethrower. Hurricane is Moltres's other insanely strong STAB attack that rounds out Moltres's near-perfect coverage. Roost is used to recover HP lost from resisted hits, Life Orb recoil, and Stealth Rock damage. Hidden Power Grass is a viable option over Roost, which allows Moltres to pick off weakened Water-, Rock-, and Ground-type Pokemon.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack, a Modest nature, and a Life Orb ensure Moltres hits as hard as possible. This moveset only recommends 148 Speed EVs because that's all the investment that's necessary for Moltres to outspeed the entire tier after using Agility. The rest of the EV investment was placed into HP for a little bulk. You can always use a 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe spread if you want Moltres to outspeed Pokemon like Hitmonlee and non-Choice Scarf Rotom-C. Be wary of Rock- and bulky Water-type Pokemon like Slowking and Lanturn because they can wall this set. There's no need to ever run a positive Speed nature since you'll be increasing your speed with Agility. The extra Speed may be nice but the drop off in power is noticeable.

Usage Tips
========

This moveset functions just like the all-out attacking Life Orb moveset. The goal is to blast the opposing Pokemon with Moltres's extremely powerful STAB attacks after boosting Moltres's Speed with Agility. This moveset is best when used mid- or late-game, or after most of Moltres's checks and counters have been eliminated. For example, you would switch Moltres in on a resisted Grass-type attack from a Pokemon Moltres forces out, then boost its Speed with Agility as your opponent switches. It's also possible to masquerade as the conventional Life Orb wall breaking set in order to lure your opponent into a false sense of security. Your opponent is guaranteed to be stumped by this tactic, as their checks would be overwhelmed when matched against Moltres's insane Speed after using Agility.

Team Options
========

Support from Substitute + Baton Pass Jolteon can prove to be very useful. With Substitute Moltres is able to avoid status moves and attacks, and set up Agility safely. Both Pokemon share decent synergy as Jolteon only has one weakness, which is to Ground. Moltres is a Flying-type Pokemon and is immune to the Ground-type moves aimed at Jolteon, so thanks to its typing, there's a higher probability Moltres will be passed a Substitute. Rotom-C is a great partner as well as it resists every one of Moltres's weaknesses. It's also able to remove some of Moltres's counters with its Grass- and Electric-type STAB attacks. It can also avoid Ice- and Fire-type attacks through the use of Volt Switch, which is a very effective way to switch Moltres in safely since Moltres can take Ice- and Fire-type attacks well. Moltres always needs a Pokemon that can rid the field of entry hazards. Hitmonlee and Shiftry are amazing offensive hazard removers that can eliminate Moltres's checks and counters and remove Stealth Rock at the same time. Hitmonlee's High Jump Kick is insanely strong and even 2HKOes Pokemon that resist Fighting-type attacks. Shiftry's ability to force out bulky Water-, Rock-, and Ground-type Pokemon with its Grass-type STAB attacks and its overpowered Knock Offs is unmatched.

SubRoost
########
name: SubRoost
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Toxic / Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Flamethrower
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe

Moves
========

This moveset is geared to take advantage of Moltres's ability Pressure, its amazing defensive typing, and its decent bulk. Pressure is an exceptional ability for a Pokemon that's used on stall or balanced teams because of its ability to shorten the PP of moves directed at Moltres. Substitute is used to avoid status ailments, but it can also be used in conjunction with Roost to PP stall opposing Pokemon. Moltres is able to wear down opponents with Toxic or cripple physical threats with Will-O-Wisp. Although Toxic is more useful because its passive damage increases every turn, Will-O-Wisp can be used if your team has problem with powerful physical attackers. Flamethrower is used so Moltres is not completely shut down by Taunt or Steel- and Poison-type Pokemon who are immune to Toxic. Roost is a very important part of this set because it allows Moltres to recover HP lost from passive damage and resisted hits.

Set Details
========

Pressure is an amazing ability, especially for a set like this one. With Pressure, Moltres is able to limit the amount of PP a Pokemon has, which can prove to be very useful when used with Roost and Substitute. This moveset is difficult for bulky offensive and balanced teams to break through without losing a lot of PP or being crippled by Toxic. Leftovers are essential because they provide Moltres with much needed passive recovery. This moveset is geared to take advantage of Pressure and Moltres's great resistances, in order to Toxic stall the opponent. Moltres is given a Timid nature and 136 Speed EVs in order to outspeed everything up to Adamant Hitmonlee. The rest of the EVs are dumped into HP and Defense to give Moltres as much bulk as possible. The 124 Defense EVs can easily be moved to Special Defense to handle an uninvested Scald from Lanturn or Slowking.

Usage Tips
========

Defensive SubRoost Moltres is best if used on a balanced, stall, or semi-stall team. Moltres is fast for a defensive Pokemon so it'll have the advantage against most of the tier's other defensive Pokemon. This is essential for this set because it's built to take advantage of Moltres's ability to PP stall with Pressure and wear down the opponent with Toxic. Moltres can switch in on many common defensive Pokemon such as Aromatisse, Amoonguss, Bronzong, Gligar, and Registeel, and then proceed to Toxic stall the aforementioned Pokemon and more into submission.

Team Options
========

Like every Moltres moveset, this one needs a bulky Pokemon who can remove hazards. Hitmontop is a great defensive hazard remover. Hitmontop has great Defense and its ability, Intimidate, helps it when dealing with top-tier physical threats. Intimidate can also make it easier for Moltres to deal with physical threats. Hitmontop's Special Defense is also very high, so it's able to take Electric- and Water-type attacks aimed at Moltres. A powerful Ground-type Pokemon who can set up hazards would also be appreciated because it's able to get rid of Poison-type Pokemon who are immune to Toxic. Dragalge can also be a great supporting teammate because it can take the Water- and Electric-type attacks aimed at Moltres, as well as spread poison around with Toxic Spikes, thus making it easier for Moltres to Pressure stall the opponent. Drapion is also a great option for a defensive Toxic Spikes stacking Pokemon. A Pokemon with the ability to phaze opposing Pokemon is useful too, along with a Toxic Spikes stacking Pokemon and Moltres.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 4: U-turn
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA /252 Spe
nature: Modest / Timid

Moves
========

Fire Blast is Moltres's main STAB move that can OHKO or 2HKO most of the tier. Hurricane is its second STAB move that is only resisted by Rock-, Steel-, and Electric-type Pokemon. Flamethrower is a much more reliable STAB which can be used on weakened Pokemon or for a late-game sweep if you can't afford to miss. U-turn is used in order to scout and keep or gain momentum. Roost is also an option but when your opponent realizes you're Choice-locked into it, Moltres becomes setup bait. Tailwind can be a last ditch move that allows Moltres to support its teammates after being KOed.

Set Details
========

A Choice Scarf mitigates Moltres's awkward Speed and allows it to beat its normal checks along with its Choice Scarf checks and counters such as Jolteon, Heliosk, Rotom-C, and Cobalion. A Modest nature is preferred over a Timid nature for some extra power, although a Timid nature allows Moltres to outspeed Choice Scarf Rotom-C. U-turn is just a filler move and is used to gain momentum. As it won't be OHKOing anything, nothing wrong with a nature that lowers its Attack.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Scarf Moltres can be used as an effective lead Pokemon. Choice Scarf Moltres also holds a bit of surprise factor because most people would assume it's a Life Orb or defensive variant. Its Choice Scarf allows it to get rid of its normal checks and counters, such as Jolteon, Cobalion with Stone Edge, Heliolisk, Virizion with Stone Edge, and Choice Scarf Rotom-C.

Team Options
========

Moltres needs Rapid Spin support for every set it runs because of its severe weakness to Stealth Rock. Defog support is equally as effective as Rapid Spin is but at the cost of your own entry hazards. Hitmonlee is RU's best offensive spinner and does a great job of removing this set's counters. Shiftry can also be considered because it can eliminate the opposing teams bulky Water-, Rock-, and Ground-types that can cause huge problems for this moveset. Hazard support is a necessity as well. Druddigon is a good teammate because it can eat the Water- and Electric-type moves that Moltres can't handle. Cobalion is also a great option that offers great hazard support with Stealth Rock and provides a nice Rock-type resist. Spikes-stacking Pokemon such as Qwilfish, Roselia, and Accelgor are also excellent partners for Moltres. Accelgor and Qwilfish should be utilized on offensive teams as suicide lead support Pokemon. Heliosk and Jolteon are great teammates and they form a nice Volt-Turn core with Moltres because they can effectively switch into the others counters.

Other Options
########

A set utilizing Sunny Day with Solar Beam could prove to be useful; this would allow Moltres to get past its biggest counters with little problems. Air Slash could be used on the Life Orb and Agility sets for greater accuracy but at the cost of a drop in power. Tailwind is also an interesting move that could allow Moltres to boost its teammates' Speed late game to ensure a win. Choice Specs is another option, it's used the same way as the Life Orb moveset just without the option of switching moves.

Checks & Counters
########

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock is Moltres's biggest counter because it rips 50% of its health every time it switches in.

**Bulky Water-type Pokemon**: Lanturn, Slowking, and Jellicent are also huge checks, they remain at the top of its check list because they are able to avoid being 2HKOed or 3HKOed by Moltres's Hidden Power Grass. They can also hit Moltres hard with Scald.

**Specially Defensive Rhyperior**: Despite being 2HKOed by Hidden Power Grass Rhyperior can still serve as a decent Moltres check. Rhyperior resist both of Moltres's STAB attacks and is able to KO Moltres with Rock Blast or Stone Edge.

**Electric-type Pokemon**: Both Jolteon and Heliosk outspeed and KO Moltres with their STAB Thunderbolt. Choice Scarf Rotom-C can also outspeed and KO Moltres with Thunderbolt.

**Strong Priority Abusing Pokemon**: Moltres resist Mach Punch so there's no problem there. However Pokemon that abuse Aqua Jet are able to KO Moltres or deal a huge amount of damage to Moltres. Sucker Punch users can be a problem for the Choice Scarfed moveset but are otherwise susceptible to being PP stalled with the use of Roost, Toxic, or Substitute.

Last edited:
Okay this looks decent, you mentioned Slowbro instead of Slowking 3-4 times so go back and fix that up please.

In the subroost team options I would also mention Toxic Spikes support, definitely helps alot not having to manually Toxic everything.

I'm not sure if the Agility set should be 2nd, I would probably move it to after SubRoost what are everyone's opinions on that? Also slash Hidden Power Grass with Roost on the Agility set as a late game sweeper should probably only need to set up once if proper support is required and allows for you to sweep when checks/counters aren't fully removed but just weakened.

A small nitpick too, you mention rapid spin support but not defog so you should probably make it clear that defog support is just as good.

Once that's all sorted then QC APPROVED 1/3

I am not qc, so it might be a little cotroversial.
I was on irc when you were discussing this. And, i posted it there too and i am repeating myself. Scarf is not good, at least in the current metagame imo. There are some very good SR setters such as Shuckle, Rhyperior, Cobalion, druddigon and Gligar to an extent that can set stealth rock repeatedly. Clearing hazards is vdry difficult due to the prominence of Doublade, Bannette, and Braviary. I have tried scarftres, but the sr weakness has always been a huge pain in the ass. Maybe I have not been using it well in that case, QC please enlighten me.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I am not qc, so it might be a little cotroversial.
I was on irc when you were discussing this. And, i posted it there too and i am repeating myself. Scarf is not good, at least in the current metagame imo. There are some very good SR setters such as Shuckle, Rhyperior, Cobalion, druddigon and Gligar to an extent that can set stealth rock repeatedly. Clearing hazards is vdry difficult due to the prominence of Doublade, Bannette, and Braviary. I have tried scarftres, but the sr weakness has always been a huge pain in the ass. Maybe I have not been using it well in that case, QC please enlighten me.
I've used Scarf Moltres briefly and Scarf Delphox for a while, and I'll have to say that Delphox outclasses it as a scarfer. I know U-turn is neat and all but Delphox also has Switcheroo, better speed, isn't as weak to SR (although susceptible to sw and still x2 weak) and has a reliable secondary STAB.

Maybe move the scarf to OO, but I'm also fine with it being the last set.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, pretty sure I have a few helpful thoughts here, with Agility and Choice Scarf in particular.

[Agility]

- I'd keep the HP Grass slash after Roost. I've never found a need for it in all my time of using it, but it really can help if you can't get rid of Rhyperior, Gastrodon, etc. before you start a sweep.
- Note that you can sort of wallbreak with this set early on before sweeping as you still have a powerful STAB combination
- Hitmonlee is a really cool partner for this set. Spins easily, keeps offensive pressure, and wrecks AV Slowking, Rhyperior, and Gastrodon pretty easily.

[Choice Scarf]

- I'm ok with this set staying. However, HP Grass needs to go. It's weak af without a boost and can't even OHKO Rhyperior after SR AND 3 layers of Spikes (yeah... that pitiful) Instead, I'd use Flamethrower over it so you actually have a reliable cleaning move late-game.
- Slash Timid. Otherwise, you're dying to Scarf Rotom-C every time

I'll hold off on a QC Check since some of this (especially the Scarf suggestions) probably need discussing.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You should mention that Roost on the Agility set makes Moltres a much better check to Doublade and other Pokemon Moltres can check.. and Moltres is one of the few offensive Pokemon that can switch into Hitmonlee, is there a reason you're not running enough speed to outspeed it? Modest with 232 EVs outspeed Adamant Lee, it also outspeeds Modest Rotom-C if that's a thing. I know its hard for Moltres to check things with its x4 SR weakness but it's still something to consider.

Just a few thoughts.

Ok, I'd just like to post my experience with the Choice Scarf set.

In my experience, Choice Scarf is worthy of a set. Yes, it may not have the Speed and consistency of Delphox, and yes, it does hate SR. However, there a few positive traits that make it worth using.
  1. U-turn! I cannot stress enough how awesome this is. Unlike Delphox, Moltres doesn't necessarily lose momentum every time it is brought out onto the field. I mean, it's quite obvious that your opponent is going to switch into their Slowking / Jelli / w/e to counter you, and U-turn capitalizes on this fact. Yes, I understand Delphox has Switcheroo to counter these switch-in's as well. However, with U-turn, you not only get momentum, but also the ability to keep your Choice Scarf and sweep late-game.
  2. Typing While both Moltres and Delphox have similar typing, I do feel that Moltres's Flying typing does give it some differences that I feel should be considered. For example, the ability to switch into Earthqauke is very helpful, as well as a 4x Grass and Bug resistance, while still keeping the same Fighting resist that Delphox has. This can let it synergize better with certain teams, making it a superior option.
  3. Power Moltres is stronger, having 11 more points in Special Attack, as well as having a much stronger STAB move in Hurricane. I understand the miss chance can be seriously devastating, but the power has been worth it IMO.
  4. Hazards are easier to handle now With plenty of Rapid Spin and Defog users (Hitmonlee, Hitmontop, Kabutops, Gligar, Golbat, Shiftry) it's really not that hard to remove the hazards that make CS hard to use. Not only that, but with the best lead hazard setter in Shuckle (most likely being) gone, I think it's made Choice Scarf Moltres's job a lot easier.
Anyways, with that that out of the way, I'd like to get onto the set itself. First, I think both Roost and Tailwind should be removed from the set completely and moved to Moves. Yes, I know they have their uses, but like I've said, U-turn is REALLY the main reason you'd want to use this thing. I'd also mention a Pokemon to take Rock-type moves for Moltres in the Team Options. In my experience, Doublade and Cobalion wok well for that, and Coba can also set hazards and keep momentum up with Volt Switch, though they hate EdgeQuake from Rhyperior, so mention shit like Gligar cause it can also Defog.

Anyways, yeah those are my thought on Scarf, I've had a lot of positive experiences with it so I think it should stay n_n

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Could have sworn I had given this a full check already. Sorry Rob.

[Overview]

- Note Fire / Flying's perks defensively. Ground immunity, resistance to Fighting, 4x Grass and Bug resistances. The latter one is huge, making Tres one of the only offensive mons capable of tanking Specs Tinted Lens Bug Buzz from Yanmega

[Life Orb Attacker]

- Mention fast Special Attackers that can clean up what Moltres leaves in its wake. Jolteon, Sceptile, and Scarf Rotom-C are good mentions here
- Make special mention of Hitmonlee and Kabutops considering they share good offensive and defensive synergy with Moltres while providing Spin support

[Agility]

- Mention Arikado's faster spread in Set Details for if your team struggles with Hitmonlee
- Move the HP Grass point out of Set Details and put it in the Moves section
- In Usage Tips, state that it can be used as a wallbreaker early-mid game to weaken some of its own checks and counters (especially Rhyperior and Lanturn, whom lack reliable recovery)
- Make note of Virizion for its ability to sweep if the opponent overplays Moltres.
- SubPass Jolteon is really cool for this set considering it can give Moltres a free switch-in / setup chance with Sub + BP

[SubRoost]

- Move the Pressure tidbit to Set Details
- Put Timid as the nature
- Add a point about Roost considering it's a staple for this set
- Maybe Will-O-Wisp in Moves?
- Mention what you want to come in on in Usage Tips (defensive Grasses or choice locked resisted moves primarliy)
- Qwilfish and Roselia are good TSpikes users in particlular.
- Tbh, the only Poison-type that is really annoying for this set is Qwilfish due to its Fire resistance. Drap doesn't take Flamethrower well, Roselia and Amoonguss are donked by Flamethrower, and Rhyperior is only beating Drap out of these. Electrics destroy Qwilfish easily enough.

[Choice Scarf]

- Yeah, kinda agreeing with LightningLuxray on de-slashing Roost + Tailwind. Keep them in moves, but U-turn is really damn important for a Scarfer
- Remove the HP Grass point and replace it with a Flamethrower point (more accurate, good cleaning move, etc.)
- Remove the tidbit about the last slot in Set Details. U-turn should be the only move there
- Mention that Timid allows you to outpace Scarf Rotom-C, a threat that is destroying Moltres if it doesn't outspeed
- Mention Hitmonlee and Kabutops as specific spinners. Good synergy and can weaken teams for Moltres
- Druddigon can set Rocks, come in on Water and Electric moves, and wear down some thing to boot
- Cobalion has great defensive synergy with Moltres and can either attempt a sweep with SD, or form a VoltTurn core with Tres on top of setting Rocks
- Accelgor and Qwilfish are good offensive Spikers if Tres is on an offensive team
- Scarf Tres also works well on balance and bulky offense, so Roselia and defensive Qwilfish are good Spikes choices for these teams

[Other Options]

- Remove the Will-O-Wisp tidbit. Should probably be in Moves of SubRoost should you have TSpikes support
- Flamethrower is already the primary Fire STAB on the Agility set

[Checks and Counters]

- Note that Sucker Punch users have to play around Roost on most sets, making them somewhat unreliable at times
- Slower Scarf Pokemon (Braviary, Emboar, and Rotom-C) have to be wary of Scarf Moltres
- Any offensive check has to be wary of SubRoost and Agility sets.

I agree with everything except the part about mentioning running 232 Speed evs in order to outrun Hitmonlee, there would be no difference between this set and the Life Orb attacker set without the added bulk. Moltres already forces Hitmonlee out which gives it a chance to use Agility, even if Hitmonlee stays in, Moltres can take a HJK and OHKO with Fire Blast or Hurricane. Rotom-C is also forced out if it's not Scarfed for the same reasons. Moltres can also take a T-Bolt or a Volt Switch and OHKO with its dual stabs after using Agility.

Edit: Made your edits EonX n_n

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Remove all mentions of Shuckle as a teammate from all sets since it already has a supermajority in the suspect vote. If you're gonna keep mentions of Sticky Web in replace Shuckle's mentions with mentions of leavanny, which doesn't just set up webs for moltres, but matches up well against the bulky Water-types that can be annoyances for Moltres if still around later in the game.

When mentioning hazard removing Pokemon in all sets i'd be sure to give special mention to Shiftry, once it gets in safely it pretty much guarentees hazard removal, and the two make a solid offensive core together, with Shiftry threatening rhyperior and bulky water-types that try to switch in on moltres, and moltres blasting through things such as bulky grass-types and cobalion for shiftry.

On a similar note, Zoroark makes a p. nice teammates for this thing as well, hazards might ruin the illusion, but the physically based mixed Zoroark set pretty much poops on all of Moltres's checks and counters with the combination of Knock Off and Grass Knot, and considering you should be using hazard control with Moltres either way it isn't uncommon that you can get rid of hazards midgame to protect your illusion. On top of this, Zoroark's Flamethrower lets it potentially masquerade as Moltres for longer, luring opponents into a false sense of security.

do this and you can consider this QC Approved 2/3

EonX

Battle Soul
  • I would just limit the priority section to Aqua Jet users (Kabutops, Samurott, and Feraligatr) as Moltres resists Mach Punch and, outside of the Choice Scarf set, will always have a way to navigate around Sucker Punch.
  • Be sure to proofread this before GP goes over this in-depth. Noticed a few small grammatical issues that can easily be fixed, thus letting GP check this a bit quicker.
Looks solid otherwise.

QC Approved 3/3

RockRocks

Banned deucer.
This is so damn long I'm not doing all this but I'll try to do as much as I can.
AM check,
Add
Remove
(Comments)

Overview
########

Moltres is one of the most fearsome Pokemon in the Rarelyused metagame, thanks to its sky high base 125 Special Attack and 90 / 90 / 85 defenses. When If Moltres is given the right support, (AC) it's capable of OHKOing or 2HKOing the entire tier with its powerful STAB moves. Flying- and Fire-type STABs. It's also able to boost its middling Speed to absurd levels with Agility and to become an even deadlier sweeper. Moltres isn't limited to offense; it can run utilize a defensive moveset to and take advantage of its above average defenses, great typing, its amazing great ability in Pressure, and access to reliable recovery in its ability to recover health with Roost. Moltres should always have Rapid Spin or Defog support bBecause of its huge Stealth Rock weakness, Rapid Spin or Defog support is mandatory. which causes it to lose 50% of its health every time it switches in. Although Moltres It also has common weaknesses to Rock-, Water-, and Electric-type moves. Despite its flaws, (AC) Moltres is weaknesses it's a lethal attacker that should never be overlooked.

Life Orb Attacker
########
name: Life Orb Attackeroo Attacker

Moves
========

This is arguably the best Moltres set in the Rarelyused metagame because of its ; Its power, versatility, and awesome coverage. (Add period) are qualities that set it apart from the tiers offensive Pokemon. Fire Blast is Moltres' go-to Moltre's most used STAB attack that move, (AC) hitting the majority of the tier for big damage. is capable of devastating the entire RU tier, especially if Moltres is given hazard support. Hurricane is Moltres's Moltres' secondary STAB move, hitting most things for great damage and covering most of the Pokemon that resist Fire Blast. other powerful STAB attack that's also capable of inflicting an incredible amount of damage to most of the tier. Hurricane hits more Pokemon for neutral damage because Flying-type Pokemon only have two resist, it's only listed second to Fire Blast because of its lackluster 70% accuracy. Hidden Power Grass rounds out Moltres' Moltre's superior coverage, and allows Moltres to hitting Ground-, Water-, (RC) and Rock-types Pokemon for super effective damage. effectively. Roost is handy, enabling Moltres to recover from Stealth Rock and Life Orb damage as well as resisted hits, increasing its survivability. enables Moltres to recover HP lost from taking resisted hits and residual Life Orb damage, and also to recover health lost from switching into Stealth Rock.

Set Details
========

Moltres is given a A Timid nature and maximum EV investment in Special Attack and Speed ensure that Moltres will hit in order to hit as fast and hard as possible. It's also possible to give Moltres a A Modest nature, (AC) may be used for more power; however, by doing this, it won't be able to outpace certain Pokemon, such as Rotom-C. (Add period) if you choose to swap natures remember Moltres will no longer be able to outspeed Pokemon it could with a Timid nature, like non-Choice Scarf Rotom-C. Life Orb adds to Moltres's exceptional power and is useful in ensuring crucial Fire Blast or Hurricane OHKO's OHKOs and 2HKO's 2HKOs. The 4 Def EVs in Defense allow Moltres to switch into Stealth Rock twice without being KOed.

Usage Tips
========

Because of Moltres's Fire / Flying dual typing, (AC) hazard removal via Rapid Spin or Defog is essential to Moltres' success. it loses 50% of its health every time it switches into Stealth Rock, which means Moltres should always be paired with a Pokemon who can remove hazards. Moltres also appreciates hazard support, (AC) as hazards are often needs a teammate that can setup hazards since hazards are crucial to secure numerous OHKO's OHKOs and 2HKO's 2HKOs. For example, (AC) after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes Assault Vest Slowking is 2HKO'd by Hurricane after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes. A Pokemon that can spread paralysis can also be very useful, (AC) helping it outpace faster Pokemon such as and it would make it possible for Moltres to beat Pokemon that outspeed it, like Cobalion, Virizion, and Delphox.
(Why is all this stuff in Usage Tips? This is TEAM OPTIONS stuff! In Usage a Tips you're supposed to give tips on how to use it, not list Pokemon that help it out. Idk maybe you're a beginner, and I apologize for the tone of this comment, but those are not "Usage Tips")
That's all for right now because damn this thing is long. This needs a lot of improvements but don't worry too much about it and remember to keep your head up Rob.!

This is so damn long I'm not doing all this but I'll try to do as much as I can.
AM check,
Add
Remove
(Comments)

That's all for right now because damn this thing is long. This needs a lot of improvements but don't worry too much about it and remember to keep your head up Rob.!
I feel like a lot of the changes are subjective. I do admit that some sentences are bad but it seems like you just chopped and reworded alot of em that didn't fit your personal taste. Thanks for the help though, I'll fix alot of the errors later to make this easier. I misplaced the thunder wave support bit, but the slowbro mention was an example of why hazard support is important.

Last edited:

RockRocks

Banned deucer.
I feel like a lot of the changes are subjective. I do admit that some sentences are bad but it seems like you just chopped and reworded alot of em that didn't fit your personal taste. Thanks for the help though, I'll fix alot of the errors later to make this easier. I misplaced the thunder wave support bit, but the slowbro mention was an example of why hazard support is important.
Yeah, some of the changes were kind of subjective but I was simply trying my best to improve the grammar. You are welcome for the help

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi
Overview
########

Moltres is one of the most fearsome Pokemon in the Rarelyused metagame, tThanks to its sky high base 125 Special Attack and 90 / 90 / 85 defenses, Moltres is one of the most fearsome Pokemon in RU. When it's given the right support, it'Moltres is capable of OHKOing or 2HKOing the entire tier with its powerful STAB moves. It's also able to boost its middling Speed to absurd levels with Agility to become an even deadlier sweeper. Moltres isn't limited to offense; it can run a defensive moveset to take advantage of its above average defenses, great typing, and great ability in Pressure, and access to reliable recovery in Roost. Moltres should always have Rapid Spin or Defog support because of its weakness to Stealth Rock weakness. Moltres also has common Rock-, Water-, and Electric-type weaknesses. Despite its flaws, Moltres is a lethal attacker that should never be overlooked.

Life Orb Attacker
########

Moves
========

This is arguably the best Moltres set in the Rarelyused metagameRU; its power, versatility, and coverage are qualities that set it apart from the tier's offensive Pokemon. Fire Blast is Moltres's most used STAB move that's capable of hitting a majority of the tier for biglarge amounts of damage. Hurricane is Moltres's secondary STAB move that hits most things for great damage and coverings most of the Pokemon that resist Fire Blast. Hidden Power Grass rounds out Moltres's coverage, and allows Moltres to hit Ground-, Water-, and Rock-types for super effective damage. Roost is handy, enabling Moltres to recover from Stealth Rock and Life Orb damage as well as resisted hits, increasing its longevity.

Set Details
========

A Timid nature and maximum EV investment in Special Attack and Speed ensures that Moltres will hit as fast and hard as possible. It's also possible to give Moltres a Modest nature but it won't be able to out speed Pokemon such as Rotom-C that it would normally, like Rotom-C. Life Orb adds to Moltres's exceptional power and is useful in ensuring crucial Fire Blast orand Hurricane OHKOs and 2Hattain crucial KOs. The 4 EVs in Defense allow Moltres to switch into Stealth Rock twice without being KOed.

Usage Tips
========

Because of Moltres's Fire / Flying dual typing, it loses 50% of its health every time it switches into Stealth Rock, which means Moltres should always be paired with a Pokemon who can remove hazards. Moltres also needs a teammate that can setup hazards up, asince hazards are crucial to secure numerous OHKO's and 2HKO's. For example, after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes, Assault Vest Slowking is 2HKO'ed by Hurricane.

Team Options
========

Moltres needs a teammate that can clear the field of hazards because Stealth Rock cuts its health in half every time it switches in. Hitmonlee is RU's best offensive spinner because of its incredibly strong STAB move High Jump Kick, which allows Hitmonlee to eliminate hazard setters like Rhyperior and Druddigon. Shiftry is another Pokemon that shares great synergy with Moltres because of its ability to clear the field of all hazards with Defog and, at the same time, challenge Moltres's biggest counters. W, which are the tier's bulky Water-type Pokemons. Zoroark is another great option because of its ability to challenge Moltres's counters with its powerful attacks likesuch as Knock Off, Grass Knot, Flamethrower, and Sucker Punch. Grass Knot allows it to beat Rock-, Water-, and Ground-type switch-ins and Knock Off devastates everything else. It's also able to masquerade as Moltres thanks to its ability, Illusion ability, and can confuse the opponent longer through the use of Flamethrower. Giving Moltres hazard support is just as important as pairing it with a teammate who can remove hazards. Druddigon is one of the best Pokemon to consider for a hazard supporting role, because ofas with its great bulk and Dragon-typing, it's able to absorb Water- and Electric-type attacks aimed at Moltres. Druddigon is no sitting duck,; it has a huge base 120 Attack and a plethora of moves that can take advantage of its sky -high Attack. A Pokemon that can spread paralysis can also be very useful and it would make it possible for Moltres to beat Pokemon that out speeds it, likesuch as Cobalion, Virizion, and Delphox that outspeed it.

Agility
########

Moves
========

Agility is an extremely useful supporting move that enables Moltres to increase its awkward base 90 Speed stat. After one boost, Moltres's Speed is propelled to an insane 506, which allows it to outspeed everything up to Choice Scarfed base 105 Speed Pokemon. Flamethrower is used over Fire Blast because this set is mainly for mid- or late -game sweeping, which means Moltres can't afford to miss. PlusAlso, around that time in the game, most of the opponent's Pokemon would be weakened, so Flamethrower would clean up nicely. ButHowever, if you prefer the extra power then use, Fire Blast can be used over Flamethrower. Hurricane is Moltres's other insanely strong STAB attack that rounds out Moltres's near -perfect coverage. Roost is used to recover HP losst from resisted hits, Life Orb recoil, and Stealth Rock damage. Hidden Power Grass could beis a viable option over Roost, which would allows Moltres to pick off weakened Water-, Rock- and Ground-type Pokemon.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack, a Modest nature, and a Life Orb are used to ensure Moltres hits as hard as possible. This moveset only recommends 148 Speed EVs because that's all the investment that's necessary for Moltres to outspeed the entire tier after usingle Agility. The rest of the EV investment wais placed into HP for a little bulk. You can always use a 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe spread if you want Moltres to outspeed Pokemon likesuch as Hitmonlee and non-Choice Scarfed Rotom-C. Be wary of Rock- and bulky Water-type Pokemon likes such as Slowking and Lanturn because they can wall this set. There's no need to ever run a positive Speed nature asince you'll be increasing your speed with Agility. The extra sSpeed may be nice but the drop offecrease in power is noticeable.

Usage Tips
========

This moveset functions just like the all-out attacking Life Orb moveset. The goal is to blast the opposing Pokemon with Moltres's extremely powerful STAB attacks after boosting Moltres's sSpeed with Agility. This moveset is best ifwhen used mid- or late -game, or after most of Moltres's checks and counters have been eliminated. For example, you would switch Moltres in on a resisted Grass-type attack from a Pokemon Moltres would otherwise forces out, then boost its Speed with Agility as your opponent swaps Pokemonitches out. It's also possible to masquerade as the conventional Life Orb wall breaking set in order to lure your opponent into a false sense of security. Your opponent is guaranteed to be stumped by this tactic, as their checks would be overwhelmed when matched against Moltres's insane Speed after using Agility.

Team Options
========

Support from Substitute and+ Baton Pass Jolteon couldan prove to be very useful. By usingWith a Substitute, Moltres is able to avoid status moves and attacks, and set up Agility safely. Both Pokemon share decent synergy asince Jolteon only has one weakness, which is to Ground-type. Moltres is a Flying-type Pokemon and is immune to the would-be Ground-type moves aimed at Jolteon, so thanks to its typing, there's a high probability Moltres is passed a Substitute. Rotom-C is a great partner as well asince it resists every one of Moltres's weaknesses. It's also able to remove some of Moltres's counters with its Grass- and Electric-type STAB attacks. It can also avoid Ice- and Fire-type attacks through the use of Volt Switch, which is a very effective way to switch Moltres in safely asince Moltres can take Ice- and Fire-type attacks well. Moltres always needs a Pokemon that can rid the field of hazards. Hitmonlee and Shiftry are amazing offensive hazard removers that can eliminate Moltres's checks and counters and remove Stealth Rock andt the same time. Hitmonlee's High Jump Kick is insanely strong and even 2HKO'es Pokemon that resist Fighting-type attacks. Shiftry's ability to force out bulky Water-, Rock-, and Ground-type Pokemon with its Grass-type STAB attacks and its overpowered Knock Offs is unmatched.

SubRoost
########
name: Sub/Roost
move 2: Toxic / Will-o-Wisp

Moves
========

This moveset is geared to take advantage of Moltres's ability, Pressure, its amazing defensive typing, and its decent bulk. When a Pokemon with the ability Pressure is targeted by an opposing Pokemon's move, one additional PP is deducted. Pressure is an exceptional ability for a Pokemon that's used on stall or balanced teams because of its ability to shorten the PP of moves directed at Moltres. Substitute is used to avoid status ailments, but it can also be used in conjunction with Roost in order to PP stall opposing Pokemon. Moltres is able to wear down opponents with Toxic or cripple physical threats with Will-oO-Wisp. Although Toxic is more useful because its passive damage increases every turn, Will-oO-Wisp can be used if your team has problem with powerful physical attackers. Flamethrower is used so Moltres is not completely shut down by Taunt or Steel- and Poison-type Pokemon who are immune to Toxic. Roost is a very important part of this set because it allows Moltres to recover HP lost from passive damage and resisted hits.

Set Details
========

Pressure is an amazing ability, especially for a set like this one. With Pressure, Moltres is able to limit the amount of PP a Pokemon has, which can prove to be very useful in conjunctionwhen used with Roost and Substitute. This moveset is difficult for bulky offensive and balanced teams to break through without losing a lot of PP or being crippled by Toxic. Leftovers are essential because they provide Moltres with much needed passive recovery. This moveset is geared to take advantage of Pressure and Moltres's great resistances, in order to tToxic stall the opponent. Moltres is given a Timid nature and 136 Speed EVs in order to outspeed everything up to Adamant nature Hitmonlee. The rest of the EVs are dumped into HP and Defense to give Moltres as much bulk as possible. The 124 Defense EVs can easily be moved to sSpecial dDefense to handle an uninvested sScald from Lanturn or Slowking.

Usage Tips
========

Defensive SubRoost Moltres is best if used on a balanced, stall, or semi-stall team. Moltres is fast for a defensive Pokemon so it'll have the advantage against most of the tiers other defensive Pokemon. This is essential for this set because it's built to take advantage of Moltres's ability to PP stall with Pressure and wear down the opponent with Toxic. Moltres can switch in on many common defensive Pokemon like,such as Aromatisse, Amoonguss, Bronzong, Gligar, and Registeel;, and then proceed to Toxic stall the aforementioned Pokemon and more into submission.

Team Options
========

Like every Moltres moveset, this one needs a bulky Pokemon who can remove hazards. Hitmontop is a great defensive hazard remover. Hitmontop has great dDefense and its ability, Intimidate, helps it when dealing with top -tier physical threats,; Intimidate can also make it easier for Moltres to deal with physical threats. Hitmontop's Special Defense is also very high, so it's able to take Electric- and Water-type attacks aimed at Moltres. A powerful Ground-type Pokemon who can set up hazards would also be appreciated because it's able to get rid of the tiers Poison-type Pokemon who are immune to Toxic. Dragalge can also be a great supporting teammate because it can take the Water- and Electric-type attacks aimed at Moltres, as well as spread Toxicpoison around with Toxic Spikes. T, thus making it easier for Moltres to Pressure stall the opponent. Drapion is also a great option for a defensive Toxic Spikes stacking Pokemon. A Pokemon with the ability to phaze opposing Pokemon is useful too, along with a Toxic Spikes stacking Pokemon and Moltres.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

Fire Blast is Moltres's main STAB, move that can OHKO or 2HKO most of the tier. Hurricane is its second STAB move that is only resisted by Rock-, Steel-, and Electric-type Pokemon. Flamethrower is a much more reliable STAB, which can be used on weakened Pokemon or for a late -game sweep if you can't afford to miss. U-turn is used in order to scout and keep or gain momentum. Roost is also an option but when your opponent realizes you're cChoice -locked into it, Moltres becomes set up bait. Tailwind couldan be a last ditch move that allows Moltres to support its teammates after being KO'ded.

Set Details
========

A Choice Scarf mitigates Moltres's awkward sSpeed and allows it to beat its normal checks along with its Choice Scarfed checks and counters likesuch as Jolteon, Heliosk, Rotom-C, and Cobalion. A Modest nature is preferred over a Timid nature for some extra power, although a Timid nature allows Moltres to outspeed Choice Scarfed Rotom-C. U-turn is just a filler move and it's used to gain momentum, it won't be OHKOing anything so no need to worry about havthere is nothing a negativewrong with an attack-lowering nature.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Scarfed Moltres can be used as an effective lead Pokemon. Choice Scarfed Moltres also holds a bit of surprise factor because most people would assume it's a Life Orb or Ddefensive variant. Its Choice Scarf allows it to get rid of its normal checks and counters, likesuch as Jolteon, Cobalion with Stone Edge, Heliolisk, Virizion with Stone Edge, and Choice Scarfed Rotom-C.

Team Options
========

Moltres needs rRapid sSpin support for every set it runs because of its severe rock weakness to Stealth Rock. Defog support is equally as effective as rRapid sSpin is, but at the cost of your own hazards. Druddigon is a good teammate because it can eat the Water- and Electric-type moves that Moltres can't handle. Cobalion is also a great option that offers great hazard support with Stealth Rock and provides a nice Rock-type resist. Spike s-stacking Pokemon likesuch as Qwilfish, Roselia, and Accelgor are also excellent partners for Moltres. Roselia should be used on bulky offensive teams and would make an excellent partner for the SubRoost Moltres moveset. Accelgor and Qwilfish should be utilized on offensive teams as suicide lead support Pokemon. Heliosk and Jolteon are great teammates and they form a nice Volt-Turn core with Moltres because they can effectively switch into the others counters. Hazard Ssupport is a necessity. Hitmonlee is the tierRU's best offensive spinner and does a great job of removing this set's counters. Shiftry can also be considered because it can eliminate the opposing team's bulky Water-, Rock-, and Ground-type Pokemon whos that can cause huge problems for this moveset.

Other Options
########

A set utilizing Sunny Day with Solarb Beam could prove to be useful; this tandem would allow Moltres to get passed its biggest counters with little problems. Air Slash could be used on the Life Orb and Agility sets for greater accuracy but at the cost of a drop off in power. Tailwind is also an interesting move that could allow Moltres to boost its teammates s' Speed late -game to ensure a win. Choice Specs is another option, it's used the same way as the Life Orb moveset just without the option of switching moves.

Checks & Counters
########

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock is Moltres's biggest counter because it rips 50% of its health every time it switches in.

**Bulky Water-type Pokemon**: Lanturn, Slowking and Jellicent are also huge checks, they remain at the top of its check list because they are able to avoid being 2HKO'ed or 3HKO'ed by Moltres's Hidden Power Grass. They can also hit Moltres hard with Scald.

**Specially Defensive Rhyperior**: Despite being 2HKOed by Hidden Power Grass Rhyperior can still serve as a decent Moltres check. Rhyperior resist both of Moltres's STAB attacks and is able to KO Moltres with Rock Blast or Stone Edge.

**Electric-type Pokemon**: Both Jolteon and Heliosk outspeed and KO Moltres with their STAB Thunderbolt. Scarfed Rotom-C can also outspeed and KO Moltres with Thunderbolt.

**Strong Priority Abusing Pokemon**: Moltres resist Mach Punch so there's no problem there. ButHowever, Pokemon whothat abuse Aqua Jet are able to KO Moltres or deal a huge amount of damage to Moltres. Sucker Punch users can be a problem for the Choice Scarfed moveset but are otherwise susceptible to being PP stalled with the use of Roost, Toxic, or Substitute.

gp 1/3
this wasn't very well-written so requesting 3 checks

Last edited:

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove
Add
Comment

Overview
########

Thanks to its sky high base 125 Special Attack and 90 / 90 / 85 defenses, Moltres is one of the most fearsome Pokemon in RU. When it's given the right support, Moltres is capable of OHKOing or 2HKOing the entire tier with its powerful STAB moves. It's also able to boost its middling Speed to absurd levels with Agility to become an even deadlier sweeper. Moltres isn't limited to offense; it can run a defensive moveset to take advantage of its above average defenses, great typing, great ability in Pressure, and access to reliable recovery in Roost. Moltres should always have Rapid Spin or Defog support because of its weakness to Stealth Rock. Moltres also has common Rock-, Water-, and Electric-type weaknesses. Despite its flaws, Moltres is a lethal attacker that should never be overlooked.

Life Orb Attacker
########

Moves
========

This is arguably the best Moltres set in RU; its power, versatility, and coverage are qualities that set it apart from the tier's offensive Pokemon. Fire Blast is Moltres's most usedful STAB move,(AC) thas it's capable of hitting a majority of the tier for large amounts of damage. Hurricane is Moltres's secondary STAB move that hits most things for great damage and covers most of the Pokemon that resist Fire Blast. Hidden Power Grass rounds out Moltres's coverage, and allows Moltres to hit Ground-, Water-, and Rock-types for super effective damage. Roost is handy, enabling Moltres to recover from Stealth Rock and Life Orb damage as well as resisted hits, increasing its longevity.

Set Details
========

A Timid nature and maximum EV investment in Special Attack and Speed ensures that Moltres will hit as fasthard and hardfast(Totally subjective change right here.) as possible. It's also possible to give Moltres a Modest nature but it won't be able to out speed(One word) Pokemon such as Rotom-C that it would normally. Life Orb adds to Moltres's exceptional power and is useful infor ensuring Fire Blast and Hurricane attain crucial KOs. The 4 EVs in Defense allow Moltres to switch into Stealth Rock twice without being KOed.(I'm pretty sure Defense doesn't affect the damage that Stealth Rock deals. However, HP does. I think what you're trying to say is that this keeps you at an odd HP, which allows you to switch in three times, correct? Change the sentence to have more that idea than what you have now.)

Usage Tips
========

Because of Moltres's Fire / Flying typing, it loses 50% of its health every time it switches into Stealth Rock, which means Moltres should always be paired with a Pokemon who can remove entry hazards. Moltres also needs a teammate that can set hazards up as hazardsthey are crucial to secure numerous OHKOs and 2HKOs. For example, after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes, Assault Vest Slowking is 2HKOed by Hurricane.

Team Options
========

Moltres needs a teammate that can clear the field of hazards because Stealth Rock cuts its health in half every time it switches in. Hitmonlee is RU's best offensive spinner because of its incredibly strong STAB move High Jump Kick, which allows Hitmonlee to eliminate hazard setters like Rhyperior and Druddigon. Shiftry is another Pokemon that shares great synergy with Moltres because of its ability to clear the field of all hazards with Defog, and at the same time, challenge Moltres's biggest counters, which are the tier's bulky Water-type Pokemon. Giving Moltres hazard support is just as important as pairing it with a teammate who can remove hazards. Druddigon is one of the best Pokemon to consider for a hazard supporting role, as with its great bulk and Dragon-typing, it's able to absorb Water- and Electric-type attacks aimed at Moltres. Druddigon is no sitting duck; it has a huge base 120 Attack and a plethora of moves that can take advantage of its sky-high Attack. Zoroark is another great option because of its ability to challenge Moltres's counters with its powerful attacks such as Knock Off, Grass Knot, Flamethrower, and Sucker Punch. Grass Knot allows it to beat Rock-, Water-, and Ground-type switch-ins and Knock Off devastates everything else. It's also able to masquerade as Moltres thanks to its ability, Illusion, and can confuse the opponent longer through the use of Flamethrower. Giving Moltres hazard support is just as important as pairing it with a teammate who can remove hazards. Druddigon is one of the best Pokemon to consider for a hazard supporting role, as with its great bulk and Dragon-typing, it's able to absorb Water- and Electric-type attacks aimed at Moltres. Druddigon is no sitting duck; it has a huge base 120 Attack and a plethora of moves that can take advantage of its sky-high Attack. A Also,(AC) a Pokemon that can spread paralysis can also be very useful and it would make it possible for Moltres to beat Pokemon such as Cobalion, Virizion, and Delphox that otherwise outspeed it.

Agility
########

Moves
========

Agility is an extremely useful supporting move that enables Moltres to increase its awkward base 90 Speed stat. After one boost, Moltres's Speed is propelled to an insane 506, which allows it to outspeed everything up to Choice Scarfed base 105 Speed Pokemon. Flamethrower is used over Fire Blast because this set is mainly for mid- or late-game sweeping, which means Moltres can't afford to miss. Also, around that time in the game, most of the opponent's Pokemon would be weakened, so Flamethrower would clean up nicely. However,(AC) if you prefer the extra power, Fire Blast can be used over Flamethrower. Hurricane is Moltres's other insanely strong STAB attack that rounds out Moltres's near-perfect coverage. Roost is used to recover HP lost from resisted hits, Life Orb recoil, and Stealth Rock damage. Hidden Power Grass is a viable option over Roost, which allows Moltres to pick off weakened Water-, Rock-,(AC) and Ground-type Pokemon.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack, a Modest nature, and a Life Orb to ensure Moltres hits as hard as possible. This moveset only recommends 148 Speed EVs because that's all the investment that's necessary for Moltres to outspeed the entire tier after using Agility. The rest of the EV investment was placed into HP for a little bulk. You can always use a 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe spread if you want Moltres to outspeed Pokemon like Hitmonlee and non-Choice Scarfed Rotom-C. Be wary of Rock- and bulky Water-type Pokemon like Slowking and Lanturn because they can wall this set. There's no need to ever run a positive Speed nature since you'll be increasing your speed with Agility. The extra Speed may be nice but the drop off in power is noticeable.

Usage Tips
========

This moveset functions just like the all-out attacking Life Orb moveset. The goal is to blast the opposing Pokemon with Moltres's extremely powerful STAB attacks after boosting Moltres's Speed with Agility. This moveset is best when used mid- or late-game, or after most of Moltres's checks and counters have been eliminated. For example, you would switch Moltres in on a resisted Grass-type attack from a Pokemon Moltres forces out, then boost its Speed with Agility as your opponent switches out. It's also possible to masquerade as the conventional Life Orb wall breaking set in order to lure your opponent into a false sense of security. Your opponent is guaranteed to be stumped by this tactic, as their checks would be overwhelmed when matched against Moltres's insane Speed after using Agility.

Team Options
========

Support from Substitute + Baton Pass Jolteon can prove to be very useful. With Substitute, Moltres is able to avoid status moves and attacks,(RC) and set up(Two words) Agility safely. Both Pokemon share decent synergy as Jolteon only has one weakness, which is to Ground. Moltres is a Flying-type Pokemon and is immune to the Ground-type moves aimed at Jolteon, so thanks to its typing, there's a higher probability Moltres iswill be passed a Substitute. Rotom-C is a great partner as well as it resists every one of Moltres's weaknesses. It's also able to remove some of Moltres's counters with its Grass- and Electric-type STAB attacks. It can also avoid Ice- and Fire-type attacks through the use of Volt Switch, which is a very effective way to switch Moltres in safely since Moltres can take Ice- and Fire-type attacks well. Moltres always needs a Pokemon that can rid the field of entry hazards. Hitmonlee and Shiftry are amazing offensive hazard removers that can eliminate Moltres's checks and counters and remove Stealth Rock at the same time. Hitmonlee's High Jump Kick is insanely strong and even 2HKOes Pokemon that resist Fighting-type attacks. Shiftry's ability to force out bulky Water-, Rock-, and Ground-type Pokemon with its Grass-type STAB attacks and its overpowered Knock Offs is unmatched.

SubRoost
########
name: SubRoost
move 2: Toxic / Will-oO-Wisp(Make sure to get this change.)

Moves
========

This moveset is geared to take advantage of Moltres's ability Pressure, its amazing defensive typing, and its decent bulk. Pressure is an exceptional ability for a Pokemon that's used on stall or balanced teams because of its ability to shorten the PP of moves directed at Moltres. Substitute is used to avoid status ailments, but it can also be used in conjunction with Roost to PP stall opposing Pokemon. Moltres is able to wear down opponents with Toxic or cripple physical threats with Will-O-Wisp. Although Toxic is more useful because its passive damage increases every turn, Will-O-Wisp can be used if your team has problem with powerful physical attackers. Flamethrower is used so Moltres is not completely shut down by Taunt or Steel- and Poison-type Pokemon who are immune to Toxic. Roost is a very important part of this set because it allows Moltres to recover HP lost from passive damage and resisted hits.

Set Details
========

Pressure is an amazing ability, especially for a set like this one. With Pressure, Moltres is able to limit the amount of PP a Pokemon has, which can prove to be very useful when used with Roost and Substitute. This moveset is difficult for bulky offensive and balanced teams to break through without losing a lot of PP or being crippled by Toxic. Leftovers are essential because they provide Moltres with much needed passive recovery. This moveset is geared to take advantage of Pressure and Moltres's great resistances, in order to Toxic stall the opponent. Moltres is given a Timid nature and 136 Speed EVs in order to outspeed everything up to Adamant Hitmonlee. The rest of the EVs are dumped into HP and Defense to give Moltres as much bulk as possible. The 124 Defense EVs can easily be moved to Special Defense to handle an uninvested Scald from Lanturn or Slowking.

Usage Tips
========

Defensive SubRoost Moltres is best if used on a balanced, stall, or semi-stall team. Moltres is fast for a defensive Pokemon so it'll have the advantage against most of the tier's(Add apostrophe) other defensive Pokemon. This is essential for this set because it's built to take advantage of Moltres's ability to PP stall with Pressure and wear down the opponent with Toxic. Moltres can switch in on many common defensive Pokemon such as Aromatisse, Amoonguss, Bronzong, Gligar,(AC) and Registeel, and then proceed to Toxic stall the aforementioned Pokemon and more into submission.

Team Options
========

Like every Moltres moveset, this one needs a bulky Pokemon who can remove hazards. Hitmontop is a great defensive hazard remover. Hitmontop has great Defense and its ability, Intimidate, helps it when dealing with top-tier physical threats.(Period, not a comma.) Intimidate can also make it easier for Moltres to deal with physical threats. Hitmontop's Special Defense is also very high, so it's able to take Electric- and Water-type attacks aimed at Moltres. A powerful Ground-type Pokemon who can set up(Two words) hazards would also be appreciated because it's able to get rid of Poison-type Pokemon who are immune to Toxic. Dragalge can also be a great supporting teammate because it can take the Water- and Electric-type attacks aimed at Moltres, as well as spread poison around with Toxic Spikes, thus making it easier for Moltres to Pressure stall the opponent. Drapion is also a great option for a defensive Toxic Spikes stacking Pokemon. A Pokemon with the ability to phaze opposing Pokemon is useful too, along with a Toxic Spikes stacking Pokemon and Moltres.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

Fire Blast is Moltres's main STAB move that can OHKO or 2HKO most of the tier. Hurricane is its second STAB move that is only resisted by Rock-, Steel-, and Electric-type Pokemon. Flamethrower is a much more reliable STAB which can be used on weakened Pokemon or for a late -game(Add hyphen) sweep if you can't afford to miss. U-turn is used in order to scout and keep or gain momentum. Roost is also an option but when your opponent realizes you're Choice-locked into it, Moltres becomes set up(One word) bait. Tailwind can be a last ditch move that allows Moltres to support its teammates after being KOed.(Add period.)

Set Details
========

A Choice Scarf mitigates Moltres's awkward Speed and allows it to beat its normal checks along with its Choice Scarfed checks and counters such as Jolteon, Heliosk, Rotom-C, and Cobalion. A Modest nature is preferred over a Timid nature for some extra power, although a Timid nature allows Moltres to outspeed Choice Scarfed Rotom-C. U-turn is just a filler move and it's used to gain momentum,. As it won't be OHKOing anything so,(AC) nothing is wrong with a nattack-ure that lowering natures its Attack.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Scarfed Moltres can be used as an effective lead Pokemon. Choice Scarfed Moltres also holds a bit of surprise factor because most people would assume it's a Life Orb or defensive variant. Its Choice Scarf allows it to get rid of its normal checks and counters, such as Jolteon, Cobalion with Stone Edge, Heliolisk, Virizion with Stone Edge, and Choice Scarfed Rotom-C.

Team Options
========

Moltres needs Rapid Spin support for every set it runs because of its severe weakness to Stealth Rock. Defog support is equally as effective as Rapid Spin is but at the cost of your own entry hazards. Hitmonlee is RU's best offensive spinner and does a great job of removing this set's counters. Shiftry can also be considered because it can eliminate the opposing teams bulky Water-, Rock-, and Ground-types that can cause huge problems for this moveset. Hazard support is a necessity as well. Druddigon is a good teammate because it can eat the Water- and Electric-type moves that Moltres can't handle. Cobalion is also a great option that offers great hazard support with Stealth Rock and provides a nice Rock-type resist. Spikes-stacking Pokemon such as Qwilfish, Roselia, and Accelgor are also excellent partners for Moltres. Accelgor and Qwilfish should be utilized on offensive teams as suicide lead support Pokemon. Heliosk and Jolteon are great teammates and they form a nice Volt-Turn(Remove hyphen) core with Moltres because they can effectively switch into the others counters. Hazard support is a necessity. Hitmonlee is RU's best offensive spinner and does a great job of removing this set's counters. Shiftry can also be considered because it can eliminate the opposing teams bulky Water-, Rock-, and Ground-types that can cause huge problems for this moveset.

Other Options
########

A set utilizing Sunny Day with Solar Beam could prove to be useful; this would allow Moltres to get passedt its biggest counters with little problems. Air Slash could be used on the Life Orb and Agility sets for greater accuracy but at the cost of a drop in power. Tailwind is also an interesting move that could allow Moltres to boost its teammates' Speed late game to ensure a win. Choice Specs is another option, it's used the same way as the Life Orb moveset just without the option of switching moves.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Water-type Pokemon**: Lanturn, Slowking,(AC) and Jellicent are also huge checks, they remain at the top of its check list because they are able to avoid being 2HKOed or 3HKOed by Moltres's Hidden Power Grass. They can also hit Moltres hard with Scald.

**Electric-type Pokemon**: Both Jolteon and Heliosk outspeed and KO Moltres with their STAB Thunderbolt. Choice Scarfed Rotom-C can also outspeed and KO Moltres with Thunderbolt.

**Strong Priority Abusing Pokemon**: Moltres resist Mach Punch so there's no problem there. However Pokemon that abuse Aqua Jet are able to KO Moltres or deal a huge amount of damage to Moltres. Sucker Punch users can be a problem for the Choice Scarfed moveset but are otherwise susceptible to being PP stalled with the use of Roost, Toxic, or Substitute.

You're going to look at the Team Options section and be all like, "What the heck?" Don't worry, these changes are good. Right now it's really out of order. Good otherwise.
2/2 or something

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)