1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Momentous Offense (Peaked #1 ~1524)

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by FruitSeller, Jun 11, 2012.

1. FruitSeller

FruitSeller

MOMENTOUS OFFENSE
    [​IMG]

What I like most about this team is that it requires a lot on prediction and thus has forced me to learn how to predict well. Previously, I have been a very stall oriented player, and had very limited success with using offensive teams. After having used this team and figuring out how it can deal with threats that it seems like it would outright lose to, I have to say that I have become much better at using offensive teams. Overall, it's just really fun to use and beat people when they have what you would think could just run over the team (water types, dark types mostly)!

With that intro of my personal experience out of the way, this team is to show a different team style than I’ve seen most of the time. It’s similar to a hyperoffensive team, yet there are many bulky defensive members that do more than just set up entry hazards, and the entire team has a seemingly crippling weakness to various Pokémon and even an entire type (waters). However, it still manages to win and has gotten to #1 on the ladder (at the very beginning of this round – sorry, this is a really late RMT, but the point is more to show the team style than how it works in the metagame). It’s played very suicidally (I do save my Pokémon, not just throwing them away, but I will sacrifice things to take out something dangerous) and the bulky Pokémon are not really expected to take a lot of hits, focusing more on straight out dishing out damage than using passive toxic/entry hazard damage. I would call this… Momentous Offense.

Note: I won't even bother with typing the type synergy thing... that would look pretty bad for this team, and it doesn't even matter, since I don't depend on that.

[​IMG]
    Chandelure (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Shadow Ball
    - Fire Blast
    - Overheat
    - Energy Ball

No surprise here. Many UU players use specs Chandelure, and for good reason. It 2hkoes most everything in UU with the correct move, bar Snorlax and Porygon2. However, its real use in this team is not necessarily getting that 2hko. For my team, Chandelure’s main use is to weaken my opponent’s water types for the rest of the sweepers, and contrict my opponent to a very limited set of options so that I can keep the momentum. I play this without expectations for it to survive long – I just want to get the opponent’s team weakened enough for a late game sweep. I don’t have any great switch-ins to waters, so I often sac this and energy ball the water type so that I can sweep later with Victini/Flygon. Specs Chandelure puts so much pressure on the opponent and has so few checks that I can quite consistently double switch to another of my offensive Pokémon, giving my team much needed offensive momentum, and also is a formidable threat if I can double switch or U-turn to it.
    This thing’s typing is also absolutely ridiculous. Ghost typing is imperative for this team to combat Stoutlands, as it gives me offensive momentum that switching Bronzong in does not. Also, I like to keep Bronzong for other threats. Fire type moves from Will-o-wispers and choicers like Darmanitan and Victini are fairly obvious; I am not afraid to switch in Chandelure into them and take advantage of that. Abusing immunities and double switching/U-turn are how I use Chandelure to its greatest potential. The speed is for the tie with other Chandelures, as the case where it’s Chandelure vs. Chandelure actually happens pretty often, considering Blastoise is physically defensive and can’t hold up too well.

[​IMG]
    Victini @ Choice Band
    Trait: Victory Star
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - V-create
    - Fusion Bolt
    - U-turn
    - Zen Headbutt

The original basis of this team. I wanted to use band Victini as I hadn’t seen anyone use it very effectively, and it seemed like such a strong threat to me. V-create is incredibly powerful and Zen Headbutt is actually quite strong. Because V-create is such a threat water types are the main switch-in and a CB Zen Headbutt can do a great deal of damage, while preventing switch-ins to many other Pokémon (unlike fusion bolt, which allows easy Flygon switch-ins). U-turn for offensive momentum, and Fusion Bolt for water types. It plays a very similar role to Chandelure (powerful fire type that limits the opponent to a limited set of options and takes advantage of it). After the one good water type/fire type check on a team falls, Victini can spam V-create and/or Zen Headbutt easily, but after it gets a kill it gets forced out by a faster Pokemon. Victini is adamant because most of the time this revenger is already faster than Victini and adamant vs. jolly doesn’t matter. Also, it is a wallbreaker, and though I have regretted having it over jolly in some situations (offensive roserade), I am hesistant to change because the extra power can be essential to getting faster kills on the bulky waters (with Zen Headbutt).

[​IMG]
    Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Earthquake
    - Outrage
    - Stone Edge

A lot of people have told me that scarf Flygon sucks, but I really love it. This is often my last and only Pokémon, and cleans for me. Synergistically, this is perfect for Chandelure and Victini. Flygon brings out water types, Gligar, or Bronzong most commonly. All provide a great opportunity to switch to Chandelure via U-turn.
    This is just the generic revenge killer set, and the resistance to stealth rock is really useful, as with my playstyle, I don’t like spinning if there is just stealth rock because I lose all the momentum I’ve worked for. Immunity to ground type attacks and electric is essential for me, as I have no other electric resistance and switching this into a ground attack keeps the offensive momentum in my favor. Out of my whole team, this is the one Pokemon I don’t play recklessly with. I can lose other Pokémon in trades, but I NEED this at the end if I want to win after weakening the opponent, as it’s my only fast Pokémon.

[​IMG]
    Blastoise (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Rapid Spin
    - Ice Beam
    - Roar

Hey, it’s a rapid spinner! On a team with my main attackers being weak to stealth rock and based on lots of switching, it’s a given. However, I try not to spin if it’s just stealth rock, as I can usually use momentum in my favor to kill the opponent before I die from stealth rock.
    Blastoise is really the best rapid spinner I have to say, as Hitmontop just doesn’t do that much for a team and provides too much setup opportunity for the opponent. In fact, Blastoise is the opposite, and needs to be given that I don’t want a useless member when I don’t spin! Roar on Blastoise is very good for this team because many choiced attackers means that after a kill, I am forced to switch out and let the opponent set up; roar is an all-purpose check to set-up. Physically defensive because I use this as a normal bulky water – switch into physical attacks from Weavile, Krookodile, Darmanitan, etc.

[​IMG]
    Bronzong @ Choice Band
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 168 Def
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Gyro Ball
    - Earthquake
    - Trick

General support bronzing EVs and most of the set, but played extremely differently. Stealth rock is used only if I have the chance or feel like I have no way to beat a team without residual damage, as that one turn of set-up loses my momentum. Trick is surprisingly useful, as things that try to set up get crippled instead of coming in for free – I don’t know why more people don’t use it over toxic! I actually had a bit of trouble in general before changing the standard zong set to trick, which makes a lot of walls easy to deal with (e.g. bronzong, milotic) and gives me more momentum if they are forced to switch out after getting locked into a bad move.
    The first part of the glue on my team. CB actually helps me kill dangerous threats, which makes the set better for my team. This is my best check for Weavile, Bisharp, Shaymin, offensive Roserade, Hitmonlee, Stoutland, and a bunch of fast threats that Flygon doesn’t deal with. It’s really amazing how much Bronzong handles. I actually used to run special defense instead of physical defense on this, as it lets me handle CM raikou better and stay in on waters longer to trick them, but I think defense will help me more against the most dangerous threats for my team.

[​IMG]
    Porygon2 @ Eviolite
    Trait: Download
    EVs: 252 HP / 248 SAtk / 8 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Recover
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Tri Attack

It’s the second part of my glue. If I don’t want to lose team members, this will be my best trade for a water type. Also, its bulk is much appreciated in general for when the rest of my team falls before a threat. The mixture of coverage, power, and bulk is nice, but this is probably the least essential Pokemon on the team. I’ve considered changing it to Shaymin so that I would have a reliable switch-in for water types, but Porygon2 has done really well in some games that seem lost, so I haven’t yet had the motivation to change it. This is the team slot that I really have not been able to figure out and would like help on.

Threats:
    [​IMG]
    Water types:

· Sacrifice Chandelure for the energy ball and keep the offensive pressure on so they can’t recover
    · Burn with Blastoise’s scald, stall with Bronzong
    · Go to Porygon2 and get as much damage in before dying, keep offensive pressure up

[​IMG]
    Chandelure:
    Really annoying with my main attackers being choiced fire types. My prediction has to be really good so that I don’t let it have too much setup opportunity – switch in Chandelure on the fire moves (most of the time I go to Chandelure) and Porygon2 into shadow ball.

[​IMG]
    Sharpedo:
    really dangerous if the enemy team manages to get spikes up. I rely on Porygon2 if there aren’t too many entries on my side; otherwise, I make sure to keep Bronzong very healthy and try to stop it with that.

[​IMG]
    Bisharp: roar each time it sets up when blastoise is healthy, hope the rest of the team is dead by the time it comes out next so that flygon can kill. Extremely dangerous, and it might come down to just CB EQ from Bronzong+thunderbolt from Porygon2 if nothing else.

[​IMG]
    Weavile: CB=Blastoise/P2/Bronzong, SD=Bronzong, Blastoise to roar

[​IMG]
    Kingdra: Roar first time with blastoise, if RD: don’t let it come in before their team is dead, if DD: sac something to prevent +2 so that flygon can revenge. Very dangerous.

Rate, Steal, etc. Have fun!
    Importable:

Show Hide
    Bronzong @ Choice Band
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 168 Def
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Gyro Ball
    - Earthquake
    - Trick
    Victini @ Choice Band
    Trait: Victory Star
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - V-create
    - Fusion Bolt
    - U-turn
    - Zen Headbutt
    Blastoise (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Rapid Spin
    - Ice Beam
    - Roar
    Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Earthquake
    - Outrage
    - Stone Edge
    Porygon2 @ Eviolite
    Trait: Download
    EVs: 252 HP / 248 SAtk / 8 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Recover
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Tri Attack
    Chandelure (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Shadow Ball
    - Flamethrower
    - Overheat
    - Energy Ball
  2. TheStarRapper

TheStarRapper

I have some decent experience in UU, and may be offer some clarity on your Porygon2 situation. I will suggest Suicune, as he can counter every single 'mon on your threat list, or at least phase them out.

Suicune @ leftovers
    Bold: 252 hp, 252 Def, 4 Spd (feel free to speed creep a bit)
    -Scald
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    -Roar

This set is so darn bulky, it can easily take on frail pokes (Weavile, Bisharp, Chandelure), set up on bulkier ones (Swampert), and roar out the other two (Kingdra, Sharpedo). Because momentum is very important for your team, you can easily disrupt the opponent with roar.

This Suicune fixes your current problems but adds a few threats that Porygon 2 was better equipped to handle, namely electrics (Rotom, Zapdos, Raikou) and Shaymin/Roserade. If you think you can deal with these (and you'd be surprised how well he takes electric/grass moves after a calm mind), then go for gold. It really is a trade off depending on the threats you are more likely to see.
  3. Psychotic

Psychotic Foulest thing about time; it still ticks when you gone

Waddup, Fruit, my boy. I think Trace should be on every single P2 at this point, but that is just my opinion. Chandelure can defeat P2 way too easily otherwise by subbing up and firing off attacks, and you never want to give a Chandy a free sub against your team or it gets a kill every time. Anyway, the team is awesome and it looks like it puts enormous pressure on the opponent, limiting the number of times major threats can setup. Luvdisc <3.
  4. FruitSeller

FruitSeller

@TheStarRapper
    The problem with that suicune set is that by resting, it gives my opponent momentum, and the spot for roaring/scalding is already taken by Blastoise. And I can't really switch out Blastoise due to entry hazards being so dangerous >.> Thanks for the suggestion though!

@PsYch071c
    Hey, Psych. I guess that shift to Trace for Porygon2 does make sense given that Chandelure is so common nowadays... I've mostly tried to beat Chandelure by either double switching to Flygon and predicting (U-turn vs. EQ), so that would make it a lot easier to deal with. Thanks for the luvdisc :)
  5. DestinyUnknown

DestinyUnknown in other words...
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Hey Fruit,

Your team is pretty good, but it looks like it has problems with some water-type pokemon (as you have said in the threatlist). This could be fixed using Shaymin over Chandelure, as it can easily beat pokemon like Swampert or Sharpedo (you can't switch in though...) and it still provides offensive pressure. Here's the set:

Shaymin@Life Orb | Natural Cure
    Timid Nature | 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Seed Flare / Earth Power / Psychic / Rest

I guess you could use Synthesis over Rest if you aren't worried about sand teams, Psychic is for Roserade and Heracross.

I also second Psych071c's suggestion of using Trace on Porygon2, as it would help a lot with your Chandelure's problem.

Good luck!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)