Other Metagames Mono-Fighting Balance w/ Mega-Medicham (please RMT)

This is a Monotype team I built for the fighting type.

I started the team off with Mega Medicham, running a viable (at least in OU) set of Fake Out for chip damage, Drain Punch for my main STAB, Poison Jab to hit Fairy types, and Psycho Cut for secondary STAB.
Next, I started my second step of teambuilding, and picked Conkeldurr for my Bulky Physical Sweeper due to his little weaknesses, using an AV Guts set with Earthquake to hit Klefki, Drain Punch for STAB recovery, Knock Off to help against Chansey, and Poison Jab, to, again, hit fairy types.
Next, I chose to use a Specs Keldeo variant with Hydro Pump, for my main STAB, Scald, for burns (which I later decided to change to Icy Wind for speed drops, and to hit Flying types), Secret Sword for secondary STAB, and HP Electric to hit Flying types (which I later decided to change to Dark to hit Psychic types, with Icy Wind covering Flying).
Next I decided to try Calm Mind Lucario, running Calm Mind for setup, Dragon Pulse for coverage, Flash Cannon for a STAB answer to Flying and Fairy, and Focus Blast for main STAB.
I next picked Cobalion for a defensive wall, running Toxic for passive damage, Protect for Scouting and whatnot, CC for STAB (which was later replaced with Stealth Rocks for hazards), and Poison Jab to hit Fairy types (which was later replaced by Iron Head, because it does Poison Jabs role, and more, while STAB)
I finished off my second step by throwing on a very wierd Hitmontop set, running an AV specially defensive sweeper with rapid spin to eliminate opposing hazards, Bullet Punch for priority boosted by Technician, Earthquake to hit Klefki, and Aerial Ace for guarantied hits.
I then, took a better look at my team and decided to replace Conkeldurr with Scrafty to get rid of a pure fighting type, and with Scrafty being Immune to Psychic, and getting Moxie. On that note, I gave it Drain Punch for STAB recovery, Crunch for secondary STAB, Iron Head to hit Fairy and Steel types, and Zen Headbutt for coverage (which was later changed to .
Aftewards, I decided to replace the Steel-Fighting Lucario with Virizion due to the new allowence in Grass STAB. I decided to run Calm Mind for setup, Giga drain for STAB, special, recovery, Focus Blast for Primary STAB, and HP Dark to hit Psychic types, while keeping near perfect IVs for the job (this was later changed to Ground to help out Keldeo).
Finally, to finish the team, I decided to replace Hitmontop with his brother Hitmonchan for the better defensive abilities in Inner Focus and Limber, with the former of the two being used in the team to get other moves on Fake Out users. I decided to run leftovers with Toxic for passive damage, Protect to prevent damage, Rapid Spin to remove hazards, and Brick Break to remove screens.

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Poison Jab
- Psycho Cut

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Dark]

Virizion @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head

Hitmonchan (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Rapid Spin
- Brick Break

EDIT:Tagging Acast for the Monotype Sample Team Thread.

EDIT 2:This is me trying to bump my team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mq

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Hey, cool team! I have a few suggestions to help you improve your team.

• Drain Punch --> High Jump Kick, Poison Jab --> Bullet Punch ; High Jump Kick is much more powerful than Drain Punch and hits insanely hard even if the opponent resists Fighting-type attacks. It also supports Mega Medicham's unmatched wallbreaking capabilities and you're much better off running High Jump Kick over Drain Punch. Although Poison Jab hits Fairy-types really hard, Bullet Punch is much more useful for checking Mega Diancie and picking off foes with double priority in Fake Out and Bullet Punch.
  • Assault Vest --> Bulk Up ; An Assault Vest set really doesn't do much for your team and it's not that good of an option on Scrafty. Instead, I recommend a Bulk Up set with Rest, Drain Punch, Knock Off and maximum investment in Special Defense. This way your Special Defense is still really high and you also have reliable recovery thanks to Rest + Shed Skin, and a way to boost your Defense and Attack.
  • Hydro Pump --> Scald, Hidden Power Dark --> Hidden Power Electric ; Scald is such a spammable move thanks to its high chance to burn and you should always run it on Keldeo, even if it means replacing Hydro Pump. I recommend HP Electric over Dark because it still hits Slowbro, but is also able to hit Azumarill and Gyarados.
  • -->
    ; Breloom is the superior option over Virizion because of its access to Spore which is a very useful move. It's an excellent Focus Sash user which guarantees it will put an opponent to sleep and it also gets access to STAB priority in Mach Punch and a move to hit Flying-types in Rock Tomb, both of which are boosted by its Technician ability. It can also be a setup sweeper thanks to its access to Swords Dance.
  • Max Defense --> Max Speed, Toxic --> Thunder Wave, Protect --> Stone Edge / Taunt ; Max Speed on Cobalion is better than max Defense thanks to its very solid Speed and its ability to Taunt slower Pokemon and get up Stealth Rock first. With this sprad it retains a decent amount of bulk by running max HP and it has the Speed to fulfill its roles. Thunder Wave slows down Pokemon and makes them easier to revenge kill. Taunt prevents the foe's lead Pokemon from setting up hazards or setting up if they're slower. Alternatively Stone Edge can be used to hit Pokemon such as Zapdos, Mega Charizard Y etc.
  • -->
    ; Fighting-type teams focus on Hyper Offense so running Hitmonchan for hazard removal isn't necessary. Terrakion is a much better option and provides a great Choice Scarf user and check to Flying- and Fire-types, among other things.
Medicham-Mega (M) @ Medichamite
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Psycho Cut
- Bullet Punch
- High Jump Kick

Scrafty (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Crunch
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power Electric

Breloom (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb / Swords Dance

Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Taunt / Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Hope I helped, good luck with the team!

Hey, cool team! I have a few suggestions to help you improve your team.

Drain Punch --> High Jump Kick, Poison Jab --> Bullet Punch ; High Jump Kick is much more powerful than Drain Punch and hits insanely hard even if the opponent resists Fighting-type attacks. It also supports Mega Medicham's unmatched wallbreaking capabilities and you're much better off running High Jump Kick over Drain Punch. Although Poison Jab hits Fairy-types really hard, Bullet Punch is much more useful for checking Mega Diancie and picking off foes with double priority in Fake Out and Bullet Punch.
I understand the Poison Jab swap and can't believe I didn't see that myself, but I picked Drain Punch for Recovery, so that I could actually do more with it.
Assault Vest --> Bulk Up ; An Assault Vest set really doesn't do much for your team and it's not that good of an option on Scrafty. Instead, I recommend a Bulk Up set with Rest, Drain Punch, Knock Off and maximum investment in Special Defense. This way your Special Defense is still really high and you also have reliable recovery thanks to Rest + Shed Skin, and a way to boost your Defense and Attack.
I like this idea a lot, and now I know, thanks to you, that Shed Skin gets rid of sleep.
Hydro Pump --> Scald, Hidden Power Dark --> Hidden Power Electric ; Scald is such a spammable move thanks to its high chance to burn and you should always run it on Keldeo, even if it means replacing Hydro Pump. I recommend HP Electric over Dark because it still hits Slowbro, but is also able to hit Azumarill and Gyarados.
I absolutely agree with the Hydro Pump swap, but HP Dark helps hit Psychic types, which the team doesn't have much to hit hard.
-->
; Breloom is the superior option over Virizion because of its access to Spore which is a very useful move. It's an excellent Focus Sash user which guarantees it will put an opponent to sleep and it also gets access to STAB priority in Mach Punch and a move to hit Flying-types in Rock Tomb, both of which are boosted by its Technician ability. It can also be a setup sweeper thanks to its access to Swords Dance.
I picked Virizion to hit the physical bulk of the tier. So unless you give me good calculations, Virizion is staying.
Max Defense --> Max Speed, Toxic --> Thunder Wave, Protect --> Stone Edge / Taunt ; Max Speed on Cobalion is better than max Defense thanks to its very solid Speed and its ability to Taunt slower Pokemon and get up Stealth Rock first. With this sprad it retains a decent amount of bulk by running max HP and it has the Speed to fulfill its roles. Thunder Wave slows down Pokemon and makes them easier to revenge kill. Taunt prevents the foe's lead Pokemon from setting up hazards or setting up if they're slower. Alternatively Stone Edge can be used to hit Pokemon such as Zapdos, Mega Charizard Y etc.
I absolutely understand this. How would Taunt instead of Toxic work with no Thunder Wave?
-->
; Fighting-type teams focus on Hyper Offense so running Hitmonchan for hazard removal isn't necessary. Terrakion is a much better option and provides a great Choice Scarf user and check to Flying- and Fire-types, among other things.
I kind of get this, but we already have Iron Head doing double duty on Cobalion, also hitting Poison. Maybe put Conkeldurr back in instead?

Medicham-Mega (F) @ Medichamite
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Psycho Cut

Scrafty (M) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Crunch
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Dark]

Virizion @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head

Conkeldurr (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Drain Punch
- Facade
- Fire Punch

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
I understand the Poison Jab swap and can't believe I didn't see that myself, but I picked Drain Punch for Recovery, so that I could actually do more with it.

I like this idea a lot, and now I know, thanks to you, that Shed Skin gets rid of sleep.

I absolutely agree with the Hydro Pump swap, but HP Dark helps hit Psychic types, which the team doesn't have much to hit hard.

I picked Virizion to hit the physical bulk of the tier. So unless you give me good calculations, Virizion is staying.

I absolutely understand this. How would Taunt instead of Toxic work with no Thunder Wave?

I kind of get this, but we already have Iron Head doing double duty on Cobalion, also hitting Poison. Maybe put Conkeldurr back in instead?

Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Psycho Cut

Scrafty (M) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Crunch
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Dark]

Virizion @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head

Conkeldurr (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Drain Punch
- Facade
- Fire Punch
Drain Punch's base power is much lower than High Jump Kick's and you're really missing out by not running it. Recovery isn't that important on Mega Medicham because usually you're just gonna be getting kills with HJK.

If you want another special attacker that's completely fine. Keep in mind though that Keldeo is already a very strong special wallbreaker and Fighting-type teams don't need more than that. Breloom also outclasses Virizion because of the reasons I listed in my rate.

Iron Head on Cobalion isn't enough, and Iron Head isn't the main reason to use Terrakion. You don't have a Choice Scarf user and Terrakion is one of the best choices for that on Fighting-type teams. Iron Head is just a coverage move to hit Fairy-types because Terrakion's coverage isn't all that. I strongly advise you use it.

If you want another special attacker that's completely fine. Keep in mind though that Keldeo is already a very strong special wallbreaker and Fighting-type teams don't need more than that. Breloom also outclasses Virizion because of the reasons I listed in my rate[/quote]

Do you have other special mon suggestions?

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Nope, I'd just stick with Keldeo as my only special attacker but it's up to you, you can test out other 'mons and see what you like best.

So here's my final team (at this moment)

Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Bullet Punch
- Psycho Cut

Scrafty (M) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Crunch
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Dark]

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head

Breloom (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)