Mono-Ground SS team (1st RMT)

The other day, after Uber-ing for a bit I got a sudden urge to make a monotype team. I thought about many types but the one that jumped out at me was Ground. With the introduction of Excadrill and Landorus and their abilities I thought it would be rude not to make a team based around them.

So Voila!!

In Depth Analysis

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 188 HP / 164 Def / 156 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Substitute
- Stockpile

As this team is a monotype team Tyranitar was out of the picture, so Hippowdon was the obvious choice for a SS team. The EVs are my own. 188 HP give him the opportunity to make 101 HP subs. Sub and Stockpile is there to help him tank hits well. At +3 Perts Ice Beam can't break the sub in 1 hit. Roar is to scout the opponent’s team so that my sweepers can have an easier time and EQ is to stop it becoming Taunt bait. Skarmory absolutely kills this lead because it doesn't take damage from SS and the only thing I can do is Roar it away.

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Outrage

The first of my 2 sweepers. With Sand Force and Life Orb Landorus hits like a truck. SD is on this set because I will almost always get a free turn to set up with the amount of switches he causes. QuakeEdge have great type coverage and are pretty much self explanatory on this set. Outrage is there for surprising Hydreigon and is a nice filler move to round off the set

Excadrill (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
- Return

The 2nd of my two sweepers. QuakeSlide for the coverage. SD for the same reason as Landorus. Thinking about changing Adamant to Jolly to get a leg-up over other Excadrill with the same EVs. Return is there mainly for filler but also has some use against Gliscor and Virizion when it does more damage than RS

Krookodile (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Dragon Tail

This is the first poke that I would change. Anything you suggest to make it better would be appreciated. Bulk Up to raise his respectable Atk stat and patch up his mediocre defence. EQ and Crunch for good STABs and Dragon Tail for a little more phazing. Between Roar and DT I have normally seen 5/6 of my opponent’s team before my sweepers come out. This helps me to find out when and how to play my sweepers to their full extent

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 28 HP / 196 Def / 216 SAtk / 68 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Scald
- Sludge Wave
- Substitute
- Ice Beam

The only Special Attacker on the team, Swampert fills many holes that this team would otherwise have. the EVs let him tank hits and also allow him to hit back reasonably hard with his attacks. Scald over Surf because I prefer the chance to get a burn on a crucial opponent that the extra BP. Ice Beam to hit Grass types hard also hits Ferrothorn neutrally. Sub is to scout an opponent’s move and lets me plan accordingly. Sludge Wave helps with Jellicent and Abomasnow who are big problems to this team, also helps to poison Blissey and opposing Pert.

Garchomp (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang

ScarfChomp was added to be a viable revenge killer. Band Dugtrio used to be in this spot but I found him too slow and weak to do anything. EdgeQuake again!!! Dragon Claw gives him another nice STAB without being locked into Outrage. Fire Fang is there to hit Ferro, Forry and Scizor 4x super and also Skarmory 2x

Threats

Skarmory would have to be the biggest threat to this team. Hippo and Krook can only phaze it, Excadrill and Landorus can't OHKO Max Sdef/Hp variants at +2 this then gives it the opportunity to phaze or set up hazards. Chomp can Fire Fang it but that isn't even a 2HKO.
Priority moves are also a big hurt for this team if Excadrill is down ExtremeSD Lucario can decimate this team. Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave and Ice Shard also wreck this team.

Conclusion

I have won around 50% of my battles with this team but as always I would like to win a little more, so any help you can provide would be awesome.

Thanks!!!

Nidoking's excellent special movepool, coupled with the power of Encourage might be enough to take out walls such as ... You could use him over Krookodile, so as to have more that you can switch in on Fighting types?

Also, Gastrodon seems like a much better Water switchin than Gastrodon. Immunity, Recover and better SpA more than make up for the slightly reduced bulk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)