1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

MonoPsychic with no Legendaries...

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Gatesy, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Gatesy

Gatesy

Some friends and I have begun a "Pokemon League" of sorts. Each of us have chosen or were assigned a specific type, and soon we will hold a tournament to decide placement in the "League". I was lucky enough to get the Psychic type. For this league we will be using OU rules with one exception. Unfortunately for me, legendaries have been banned. Sooo... that sort of put a damper on my initial plan when I chose the type. I have made successful OU teams in the past, but have never made a single-type team, so I'm not so confident about making this team. I think I have a decent start, but some outside input would be helpful.

This is it so far:

Alakazam.
    Modest. 252 Sp.A/ 252 Spe/ 4HP
    Magic Guard.
    Focus Sash.
    Psychic/Psyshock
    Focus Blast
    Shadow Ball/ Energy Ball
    Hidden Power (Fire)

Alakazam is one of my favorite pokemon of all time, so for me he was a must. I tend to use him as sort of an "anti-lead". I normally come out of the gate hard and KO as many as possible, so I would like to have good coverage with him. Shadow Ball is a good move, but while the Ghost type is one of my worries, there are more types that Energy Ball or Grass Knot would hit hard. And then there's the endless debate about Psychic or Psyshock.

Starmie.
    Timid. 252 Spe/ 252 Sp. A/ 4 Sp. D
    Natural Cure.
    Life Orb.
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Thunderbolt
    Recover

Starmie is my other Special Attacker. I normally use him to tank fire and ground type moves. He is also a good revenge killer and sweeper. Also: Bolt-Beam. Enough said.

Metagross.
    Adamant. 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
    Clear Body.
    Choice Band.
    Bullet Punch
    Fire Punch
    Earthquake
    Pursuit

Metagross is another must for me, but I'm not sure what I think about this setup. I like Pursuit, because I normally switch him in after a special attacker is walled and hope for a force out. I was thinking about putting an Air Balloon on him, or an Occa berry, or possibly even an Expert Belt. No clue. I also like the priority of Bullet Punch, but Meteor Mash may be a better option. Any help would be nice.

Medicham.
    Adamant. 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Pure Power.
    Choice Scarf.
    Hi Jump Kick
    Ice Punch
    Thunder Punch/ Rock Slide
    Psycho Cut/ Zen Headbutt

Medicham was one pokemon that I had always looked over... until I read what his ability was. His attack stat is down right dirty. He is a bit of a high risk high reward kind of guy, with the whole 50% recoil if he misses with Hi Jump Kick. I'm not sure about his move set, though. Thunder Punch would be good for water types which I am a bit weak against, but I'm more weak against Bug types. Not sure what to do with this one. Gallade would be my other choice for this spot, but I think I want Medicham. (I like underdogs.)

Bronzong.
    Relaxed. 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Levitate.
    Leftovers.
    Stealth Rock
    Toxic
    Gyro Ball
    Earthquake

Bronzong is a tank. I can switch him in on anything other than a strong fire type attack. I like him because he can take a hit, set up stealth rock and poison some things with Toxic.

Reuniclus.
    Bold. 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
    Magic Guard.
    Flame Orb.
    Trick
    Calm Mind
    Psychic
    Recover

Reuniclus was a recent acquisition for me. I needed something that could take some hits, and with his HP and after a Calm Mind or two, he fits perfectly. I really like him because of his little trick, unfortunately its a one-time wil-o-wisp. I'm not dead set on Psychic as his only attacking move, but it is a STAB move and I don't know what I would change it to.

Right now the only types that are included in the "League" that I am worried about, which aren't all of the types, are Bug, Rock, Ground, Dark, Ghost, Fire, and Water. I realize I probably can't win them all, but it sure would be nice. Any comments or help would be appreciated.
  2. Flaresun

Flaresun

Welcome to smogon!
    I think that your team could greatly benefit from Trick room, since most of your pokemon are slow.
    If you decide to change your strategy to trick room, give your Reuniclus, Bronzong, Medicham and Metagross 0 Speed IVs and change your Reuniclus' moveset to Offensive trick room, since it will set up Trick room and keep offensive pressure on your opponents.
    I suggest you to replace Starmie with Trick Room Nasty Plot Slowking, who benefits from Trick room, has simular coverage to Starmie (unfortunately, not Bolt-beam, but it's still great) and has two times more power after a Nasty Plot.
    Unfortunately, Metagross doesn't learn Fire punch, I'd replace it with Ice punch.
    If you decide to try my changes, replace Choice Scarf on Medicham and use Lum berry instead. It can help him against burn, freeze and sleep status and they really hinder his effectiveness. Try using Substitute + Bulk Up Medicham instead of your current set too, it gives him more survivability.
    tl;dr (open)
    Change Reuniclus to Offensive Trick room
    Change Starmie to Nasty Plot Slowking
    Change Fire punch to Ice punch on Metagross
    Change Medicham to Substitute + Bulk Up + Lum berry

sets (open)
    Reuniclus @ Life orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def/ 252 SpA
    0 Spe IVs
    - Trick room
    - Psychic / Psyshock
    - Focus Blast
    - Shadow ball

Slowking @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
    - Trick Room
    - Nasty Plot
    - Surf
    - Hidden Power Grass

Medicham @ Lum Berry
    - Bulk Up
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Drain puch
    - Substitute
  3. Don Honchkrorleone

Don Honchkrorleone

Hi and welcome to Smogon, Gatesy. I have a special place on my heart for Monopsychics because they are without a bout the most versatile type. Be it HO, Stall, Anti-weather, Gravity or Trick Room, Psychics can do almost everything. But the toll you're paying is to not use any legendary, which is a great hindrance since you're losing key members such as Lati@s, Victini, Meloetta and Celebi. Don't worry, though, as I'll sure help you make your team doesn't even mind the lack of a legend. Your team seems to have three very nasty enemies to deal with: Sableye, Volcarona and Houndoom. Sableye stops everyone of your pokemon with exception of Starmie, although a well-timed Taunt and Recover can shutit down easily, especially if Sableye focus in Special Defense. For Volcarona, it's incredibly easy to grab a boost from everythig bar Starmie, and then proceed to use her STABs to destroy your team. Houndoom is in the same boat, and if it's mixed with Scker Punch it can actually destroy your team once Alakazam breaks its Sash. To tell the truth, without Legendaries it's hard to break through any of those, but there are some tactics to relief your team against them.

Flaresun made an extremely viable point into transforming your team in a Trick Room one. She even suggested the OTR Reuniclus I would suggest!!! It's nice to accept most of her suggestions, most notably Reuniclus and Slowking (although for the latter you might want an All-out attacker with Fie Blast or Psyshock replacing NP and Grass Knot replacing HP Ground). Trick Room will somewhat relief your Volcarona and Houndoom problem provided that you use TR before they kill you. f you opt for Trick Room, you could use a Trick Room Gallade over Medicham. The drop of power will be noticeable, but Gallade has some advantages named Trick Room, Special bulk and Destiny Bond. Close Combat is more reliable than Hi Jump Kick and Gallade has a colorful offensive (and defensive) movepool to be a nice addition to your team.

Dealing with Sableye is tricky but not impossible. And it's possible in two ways: The first is with a single tweak in your pokemon's moveset: Add Trick to your Metagross, possibly replacing Pursuit. It's not that Pursuit is going to score many notable kills, since you can destroy almost any Ghost with a Steel STAB move and the ones you can't will either kill you (Chandelure, Specs Jellicent) or try to burn you at any cost (Jellicent, Cofagrigus, Dusclops). Trick can deal with the latter. The second way I don't kow if you'll accept since he is your favorite, but swapping Alakazam for CM Espeon is a nice idea. Espeon is a great addition since it can bounce away that damn Spikes that a certain Bug Pokemon loves to use, and Spikes are actually kind of a danger to your team. It would also be able to send back any Toxic, Thunder Wave or Spore your opponent may carry.

The only other thing I want to suggest is to find room for Trick Room somewhere for Bronzong. It's not a must since 3 of your Pokemon would have it (3 if you accept Gallade), but Bonzong's excellent type and Bulk allow it to set up Trick Room easily. If you add Espeon. You can forego either SR or Toic for Trick Room, but this is up to you.

Summary of Changes: (open)

The Reuniclus and Slowking Flaresun suggested. She's as cute as they're powerful :3

Gallade > Medicham
    Espeon > Alakazam
    Metagross: New CB set

[​IMG]

Gallade @ Lum Berry / Focus Sash | Justified
    Brave | 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpDef
    IVs: 0 Speed
    - Trick Room
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge / Night Slash / Psycho Cut / Will-o-Wisp
    - Destiny Bond

[​IMG]

Espeon @ Leftovers | Magic Bounce
    Timid | 252 SpA / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
    - Calm Mind
    - Psyshock / Psychic
    - Hidden Power Fire / Hdden Power Fighting
    - Baton Pass / Morning Sun

[​IMG]

Metagross @ Choice Band | Clear Body
    Brave | 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    - Meteor Mash
    - Hammer Arm / Earthquake
    - Bullet Punch / Thunderpunch
    - Trick

Optional
    Slowking: Grass Knot > HP Grass | Fire Blast or Psyshock > Nasty Plot
    Bronzong: Trick Room > Toxic or Stealth Rock

Goodluck with your gym, and I hope I helped ^^

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)