Other [Monotype]-Bug Team

|
|
|
|
|

Hey Guys, My name is Vale this is my first RMT and the team I've chosen to share is my bug team. This is bug team that does not utilize sticky web rather opting to dive right in and gain momentum, keep momentum and try recover it once lost. The team consists of double spin something extremely rare to see. Now without further ado lets get into the meat of the team.

The Team

Armaldo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Armaldo serves as the special tank of the team taking hits such as sun boosted flamethrower from Charizard-Y, Earth Powers from Life Orb Nidoking, Surfs from specs Keldeo, this thing shrugs off special attacks from most mons, and thanks to this ability it can spin away those rocks or other hazards that may plague the team. This thing is no slouch on the attack though capable of hitting anything that doesn't resist it hard with its edge-quake combo, then knock off is a useful move that can hit any opposing spin blockers hard as they come in, as well as incapacitating things such as Chansey ready for Heracross to come in and knock em out.

Forretress @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin

Forretress acts as a physical wall but also as a pivot to help regain handy momentum on your opponent. The rocky helmet is there to deal massive recoil to flare blitzers such as Darmanitan who will otherwise look to sweep, and with sturdy you can set in rocks on this hit handy, the rocky helmet is also good for forcing out any contact users who may be choice locked such as Scizor, Terrakion or Kyurem-B this allows you to volt switch in an appropriate counter to their switch ins or to spin away any hazards around your feet. The Gyro Ball allows it to punish fast attacker such as Lopunny and Diancie who may otherwise do huge amount to this team. The EV layout maximises physical bulk so you can continue to throw this thing in front of physical attackers all day. This forms the spin core with Armaldo and the two in tandem can help you keep momentum or regain it and spin, this is particularly useful as they don't share a weakness.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Energy Ball
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Genesect makes for an extremely fast and potent attacker the choice scarf allows it to act as a fast pivot, or as a revenge killer being able to come in and nab the download boost to avenge a fallen comrade. The Hasty nature on Genesect is more for opposing Genesect it forces them to download physically so Armaldo can come in and take minimal damage and threaten anything else that may come in. The EVs are there to maximise speed and special attack as U-turn is the only physical move that this set has this allows Genesect's special attacks to be potent even without the download boost. Ice beam is there to nail any flying or dragon types. Energy ball may seem an odd choice but it offers a way to deal with the bulky water grounds who think they get a safe switch onto Genesect, then flamethrower rounds off the coverage by one shotting ferrothorn or pretty much any other steel type that comes on in.

Heracross (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Guts
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Megahorn

Time for Beetle Bro #1! Heracross compliments bug very well as it provides an answer to the normal core as well as rock and steel types that try shut down bug. Guts is an underated ability on bug for Heracross but its welcomed addition as it allows heracross to act as a status absorber then as a wall breaker, capable of One or two shotting many physically defencive mons such as slowbro, skarmory and sableye. Thanks to its raw power guts cross can deter pretty much anything that cant resist it in. Close Combat and Megahorn act as 2 extremely powerful STAB options hitting anything neutral extremely hard. Stone edge offers great coverage along side the STAB moves hitting flying types who swap in hard and serving as a back up counter to Charizard Y should Armaldo have fallen. Knock off serves to round off the coverage allowing it to deal massive damage to ghost teams. The EV layout is done due to the few base 85's out there so the speed has been taken down to out speed Gyarados after one DDance the rest in HP then gives Heracross a little bit more bulk.

Pinsir-Mega (M) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Swords Dance

Now onto Beetle Bro #2, Pinsir is the mega of choice on my bug team, Adding much needed priority to the team. Pinsir serves also to clean up in the late game once all of his checks have been wiped out once he's up he can be extremely hard to stop not even resisted mons enjoy taking a return from this thing. Mold Breaker is the Pre mega ability of choice for me as it can nail the likes of Rotom or Magnezone other than that you are best to got straight mega. Moxie can be used but I've always found Pinsir extremely easily forced out so the situations where Mold Breaker is useful outweighs when Moxie is. Earthquake is preferred over CC due to its better coverage and the fact heracross punches things better than Pinsir does. Swords Dance is there for set up when you get the chance to boost the attack stat to a whopping 818 attack. EV's are the standard for pinsir maximising speed and attack to hit hard and fast.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Fiery Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Volcarona serves set up special attacker for the team, able to take on many core combinations that may stop this team in its tracks such as the stall water core and the steel core. Hidden power Ground allows you to deal massive damage to Heatran while scaring off Skarm from coming in and getting Volc in unscathed is easy enough thanks to Forretress' supportive volt switch. The set may be a mix between the bulky set and the Speed set but helps Volc succeed in what it needs to do, the maxed speed allows speed ties with the likes of Victini and Staraptor with the defence allowing Volc to take some physical hits that hurt the fast set such as V-Create and and Quick attack from opposing Pinsir. The Fiery dance provides a solid special STAB move while Giga Drain offers recovery due to the absence of roost. EV's in HP grant volc the ability to take 49.9% from rocks giving an extra switch in on rocks if its needed.
Threats
This team can take on alot of the meta, but there are a few things that can disrupt the team's momentum and then overpower it.

Charizard-X: This thing will maul bug, extremely hard to counter once it Dragon Dance's being able to easily get 2 up and sweep the team, the best bet for this team is to set up the rocks and then let rocky helm recoil whittle it down to range of Pinsir but if its early game you got a bumpy ride ahead.
The Dark Core: The core of Mandibuzz TTar and Sableye causes huge problems for this team as the only team member who threatens them is Heracross who even then needs to have been guts boosted to take on mandi so if they work out your a guts set life gets hard for you, if thats the case just gotta make plays and how you can tackle one of the core members through a relentless assault.

Stall : A stall team is hard to break for this team with no dedicated stall breaker and the only wall breaker being Heracross when guts boosted means that stall will get its recovery up whenever you get close to the kill, predicting things on the switch is how you will get the better of the stall slowly taking things out.
Ditto: If ditto copies the Pinsir it becomes a 50/50 on whether they are Max happiness or not
even if they aren't quick attack is still going to sting. However if played right you can force it into Heracross which is then countered by Pinsir.

scpinion

Last edited:

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
hey vale, nice team you got there! That was the team that beat in Alliance Cup right? Not much can be said about your team as it handles bug's weaknesses relatively well. However, I would suggest Lum Berry > Leftovers on Volcarona. Lum allows you to set up more safely against mega venu, ferrothorn, heatran not packing balloon or stone edge, etc. and is ge erally the preferred item (heh no roost lum was me!!). Other than that, great team and good luck man, we need to talk again : ).

E: failed to notice this, but change your evs to even number and red card > helmet

Last edited:
I'll give the lum berry Volc a go, might be the thing to boost my team back up, it was the team i won AC with while back. And thanks, im sure we'll bump into one another again, maybe in the next AC?

|
|
|
|
|

Hey Guys, My name is Vale this is my first RMT and the team I've chosen to share is my bug team. This is bug team that does not utilize sticky web rather opting to dive right in and gain momentum, keep momentum and try recover it once lost. The team consists of double spin something extremely rare to see. Now without further ado lets get into the meat of the team.

The Team

Armaldo @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Armaldo serves as the special tank of the team taking hits such as sun boosted flamethrower from Charizard-Y, Earth Powers from Life Orb Nidoking, Surfs from specs Keldeo, this thing shrugs off special attacks from most mons, and thanks to this ability it can spin away those rocks or other hazards that may plague the team. This thing is no slouch on the attack though capable of hitting anything that doesn't resist it hard with its edge-quake combo, then knock off is a useful move that can hit any opposing spin blockers hard as they come in, as well as incapacitating things such as Chansey ready for Heracross to come in and knock em out.

Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin

Forretress acts as a physical wall but also as a pivot to help regain handy momentum on your opponent. The rocky helmet is there to deal massive recoil to flare blitzers such as Darmanitan who will otherwise look to sweep, and with sturdy you can set in rocks on this hit handy, the rocky helmet is also good for forcing out any contact users who may be choice locked such as Scizor, Terrakion or Kyurem-B this allows you to volt switch in an appropriate counter to their switch ins or to spin away any hazards around your feet. The Gyro Ball allows it to punish fast attacker such as Lopunny and Diancie who may otherwise do huge amount to this team. The EV layout maximises physical bulk so you can continue to throw this thing in front of physical attackers all day. This forms the spin core with Armaldo and the two in tandem can help you keep momentum or regain it and spin, this is particularly useful as they don't share a weakness.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Energy Ball
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Genesect makes for an extremely fast and potent attacker the choice scarf allows it to act as a fast pivot, or as a revenge killer being able to come in and nab the download boost to avenge a fallen comrade. The Hasty nature on Genesect is more for opposing Genesect it forces them to download physically so Armaldo can come in and take minimal damage and threaten anything else that may come in. The EVs are there to maximise speed and special attack as U-turn is the only physical move that this set has this allows Genesect's special attacks to be potent even without the download boost. Ice beam is there to nail any flying or dragon types. Energy ball may seem an odd choice but it offers a way to deal with the bulky water grounds who think they get a safe switch onto Genesect, then flamethrower rounds off the coverage by one shotting ferrothorn or pretty much any other steel type that comes on in.

Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Megahorn

Time for Beetle Bro #1! Heracross compliments bug very well as it provides an answer to the normal core as well as rock and steel types that try shut down bug. Guts is an underated ability on bug for Heracross but its welcomed addition as it allows heracross to act as a status absorber then as a wall breaker, capable of One or two shotting many physically defencive mons such as slowbro, skarmory and sableye. Thanks to its raw power guts cross can deter pretty much anything that cant resist it in. Close Combat and Megahorn act as 2 extremely powerful STAB options hitting anything neutral extremely hard. Stone edge offers great coverage along side the STAB moves hitting flying types who swap in hard and serving as a back up counter to Charizard Y should Armaldo have fallen. Knock off serves to round off the coverage allowing it to deal massive damage to ghost teams. The EV layout is done due to the few base 85's out there so the speed has been taken down to out speed Gyarados after one DDance the rest in HP then gives Heracross a little bit more bulk.

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Swords Dance

Now onto Beetle Bro #2, Pinsir is the mega of choice on my bug team, Adding much needed priority to the team. Pinsir serves also to clean up in the late game once all of his checks have been wiped out once he's up he can be extremely hard to stop not even resisted mons enjoy taking a return from this thing. Mold Breaker is the Pre mega ability of choice for me as it can nail the likes of Rotom or Magnezone other than that you are best to got straight mega. Moxie can be used but I've always found Pinsir extremely easily forced out so the situations where Mold Breaker is useful outweighs when Moxie is. Earthquake is preferred over CC due to its better coverage and the fact heracross punches things better than Pinsir does. Swords Dance is there for set up when you get the chance to boost the attack stat to a whopping 818 attack. EV's are the standard for pinsir maximising speed and attack to hit hard and fast.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Fiery Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Volcarona serves set up special attacker for the team, able to take on many core combinations that may stop this team in its tracks such as the stall water core and the steel core. Hidden power Ground allows you to deal massive damage to Heatran while scaring off Skarm from coming in and getting Volc in unscathed is easy enough thanks to Forretress' supportive volt switch. The set may be a mix between the bulky set and the Speed set but helps Volc succeed in what it needs to do, the maxed speed allows speed ties with the likes of Victini and Staraptor with the defence allowing Volc to take some physical hits that hurt the fast set such as V-Create and and Quick attack from opposing Pinsir. The Fiery dance provides a solid special STAB move while Giga Drain offers recovery due to the absence of roost. EV's in HP grant volc the ability to take 49.9% from rocks giving an extra switch in on rocks if its needed.
Threats
This team can take on alot of the meta, but there are a few things that can disrupt the team's momentum and then overpower it.

Charizard-X: This thing will maul bug, extremely hard to counter once it Dragon Dance's being able to easily get 2 up and sweep the team, the best bet for this team is to set up the rocks and then let rocky helm recoil whittle it down to range of Pinsir but if its early game you got a bumpy ride ahead.
The Dark Core: The core of Mandibuzz TTar and Sableye causes huge problems for this team as the only team member who threatens them is Heracross who even then needs to have been guts boosted to take on mandi so if they work out your a guts set life gets hard for you, if thats the case just gotta make plays and how you can tackle one of the core members through a relentless assault.

Stall : A stall team is hard to break for this team with no dedicated stall breaker and the only wall breaker being Heracross when guts boosted means that stall will get its recovery up whenever you get close to the kill, predicting things on the switch is how you will get the better of the stall slowly taking things out.
Ditto: If ditto copies the Pinsir it becomes a 50/50 on whether they are Max happiness or not
even if they aren't quick attack is still going to sting. However if played right you can force it into Heracross which is then countered by Pinsir.

scpinion
Nice write up man. I noticed with some of the HP evs, they came out to even #'s making it normally bring you down to exactly 50% after 1-2 sr switches, id note that and make the #S odd

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
Ok I'd just reccomend red card on forretress over rocky helmet, as it can beat set up sweepers which would beat the team with sturdy+red card. Also helps u beat zard x like u said

|
|
|
|
|

The Team

Armaldo @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Energy Ball
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Megahorn

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Swords Dance

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Fiery Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Threats

scpinion
This is a great team that you have here. This team showcases exactly why Bug is so good in the current meta, as it has solid checks to generic threats to the type.

Aside from your aforementioned threats, I also see a pretty big weakness to opposing Genesects, Terrakion, Sashed Breloom (especially with anti lead Infernape/Terrakion), Mega-Diancie, Excadrill, LO/Band/Scarf Mamoswine. Genesect, under Webs, will always guantee itself a kill if running Flamethrower, as Armaldo and Volcarona cannot continuously switch into Genesect, especially at +1 or under rocks.

A Sashed Breloom can be dangerous, as playing the Spore and Rock Tomb mind game can be lethal, and SD sets have the potential to break through Forrestress with ease, or break Forrestress in general, to allow another partner, such as Terrakion, to spam its beautiful EdgeQuake coverage. Once Forrestress has had a tiny bit of prior damage or one rocks switch in, he is then 2HKOd by Moon Blast, which means that Diancie gets a free kill every time that it comes in, as your only way to check Diancie lies in Heracross. Under sand, you have no solid way to check Excadrill, as Heracross is exclusively walled by Hippowdon and is OHKOd by Iron Head after one switch into Stealth Rocks. Sure, Forresstress can come in to stall sand for one round, but Forrestress barely manages to scathe Excadrill with Gyro Ball, and the best that he can do is spin hazards.

Now, running Sticky Webs can help mitigate some of these threats, but overall, I think that run bulky SD Scizor over Forrestress can suit the team better if you're not playing Shuckle.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Atk / 140 Def
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off / Bug Bite / Superpower

The given spread allows you to comfortably live two Stone Edges from a Scarfed Terrakion after rocks damage and allow yourself a set up. Scizor has the luxury of scaring out Diancie, and Excadrill only does about 55% with this spread. Heracross does do about 52% with Close Combat, but you can Roost it off as he gets his Defense drops.

I understand that rocks severely pressure your team due to Volcarona and Pinsir and have a Stealth Rock weak spinner, but Scizor, in general should serve as a greater prospect, as Bug is an HO type and you can pressure your opponents from not setting rocks or use that turn to set up either sweeper.

Last edited:
Nice team! It looks pretty strong. Honestly I just have one problem with your Volcarona set. I understand you are trying to KO Heatran with HP Ground, but as long as you r at like +2 Special Defense with Volcarona, Heatran can't do much to you. Also, instead of running Giga Drain, you should run Roost as more reliable recovery. As you said, rocks can hurt a lot, and Roost seems like the better way to go instead of Giga Drain. Also, as I said b4 with the HP Ground, you should change that to Bug Buzz as another STAB move to KO water-types. Everything else looks pretty good. Have fun with the team!

Ok I'd just reccomend red card on forretress over rocky helmet, as it can beat set up sweepers which would beat the team with sturdy+red card. Also helps u beat zard x like u said
I've always found redcard more disruptive than beneficial and got alot more use from the rocky helm, with the red card forretress is forced to wait on the side lines until its needed losing me my physical rapid spinner not to mention if the switch goes wrong for me.

This is a great team that you have here. This team showcases exactly why Bug is so good in the current meta, as it has solid checks to generic threats to the type.

Aside from your aforementioned threats, I also see a pretty big weakness to opposing Genesects, Terrakion, Sashed Breloom (especially with anti lead Infernape/Terrakion), Mega-Diancie, Excadrill, LO/Band/Scarf Mamoswine. Genesect, under Webs, will always guantee itself a kill if running Flamethrower, as Armaldo and Volcarona cannot continuously switch into Genesect, especially at +1 or under rocks.

A Sashed Breloom can be dangerous, as playing the Spore and Rock Tomb mind game can be lethal, and SD sets have the potential to break through Forrestress with ease, or break Forrestress in general, to allow another partner, such as Terrakion, to spam its beautiful EdgeQuake coverage. Once Forrestress has had a tiny bit of prior damage or one rocks switch in, he is then OHKOd by Moon Blast, which means that Diancie gets a free kill every time that it comes in, as your only way to check Diancie lies in Heracross. Under sand, you have no solid way to check Excadrill, as Heracross is exclusively walled by Hippowdon and is OHKOd by Iron Head after one switch into Stealth Rocks. Sure, Forresstress can come in to stall sand for one round, but Forrestress barely manages to scathe Excadrill with Gyro Ball, and the best that he can do is spin hazards.

Now, running Sticky Webs can help mitigate some of these threats, but overall, I think that run bulky SD Scizor over Forrestress can suit the team better if you're not playing Shuckle.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Atk / 140 Def
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off / Bug Bite / Superpower

The given spread allows you to comfortably live two Stone Edges from a Scarfed Terrakion after rocks damage and allow yourself a set up. Scizor has the luxury of scaring out Diancie, and Excadrill only does about 55% with this spread. Heracross does do about 52% with Close Combat, but you can Roost it off as he gets his Defense drops.

I understand that rocks severely pressure your team due to Volcarona and Pinsir and have a Stealth Rock weak spinner, but Scizor, in general should serve as a greater prospect, as Bug is an HO type and you can pressure your opponents from not setting rocks or use that turn to set up either sweeper.
Ive fallen victim to those mind games all to often, and the thought of scizor has always crossed my mind to mitigate some of the threats i struggled with but i could never get the right set but the set you've just provided looks to be a great asset and is something i will try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)