Other Metagames Monotype Core Challenge #35 - Sakis' Balanced Flying Team [Peaked 1576 ELO]

Sakis

Banned deucer.

Hello everyone! I am Sakis and this is my Mono Flying Team that won the Flying Core Challenge #35. The pokemon needed for the core were Gliscor and Zapdos as you can see here: http://monotypeps.weebly.com/challenge-35.html , and here is a proof of the peak: http://prnt.sc/8qez7u . I would also like to note that Gliscor is a pokemon I wasn't using on a Mono-Flying team because I like going Hyper-Offensive so making a team around it was a Challenge to me because i would have to change my playstyle from Hyper Offense to Balance. Hopefully that worked alright. This team utilizes the Defensive abilities of Gliscor, Zapdos and Skarmory (and Gyarados potentially) to damage the opposive mons and allows Dragonite, Landorus and potentially Gyarados to sweep easier.

Infections (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 196 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost
The Gliscor set i decided to run was this one because it provides a reliable mega-diancie answer and a good Balance breaker. Knock Off is there for utility while the SpDef investment allows it to tank Ice Beams from Porygon2 while you Knock Off its Eviolite and most Specially offensive mons and also take on Mega-Venusaur which is rather annoying for this team to deal with and set up on mons like Clefable.
  • 0 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 196+ SpD Gliscor: 248-296 (70.4 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
  • 252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 244 HP / 196+ SpD Gliscor: 118-141 (33.5 - 40%) -- 99.6% chance to 4HKO after Poison Heal
  • +1 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 244 HP / 196+ SpD Gliscor: 135-159 (38.3 - 45.1%) -- 46% chance to 3HKO after Poison Heal (After a Calm Mind)
  • +2 0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 216-255 (54.8 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (After a Swords Dance)

Wall Of Lightning (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 4 SpA / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

Zapdos is pretty much a standard mon to use on Mono Flying Teams. This one is a Heat Wave variant as in my opinion it fits Mega-Gyarados teams more. The 16 Speed Evs are there to outspeed Adamant Breloom and Adamant Bisharp. Its the only Defog user of the team so you better use it carefully.
  • 32 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Zapdos: 182-216 (47.5 - 56.3%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Offensive scarf)
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Zapdos: 307-367 (80.1 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Not the best way to face that thing but it can take a hit which can be useful info)
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Zapdos: 216-255 (56.3 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Surf vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Zapdos in Rain: 229-270 (59.7 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Wasting Rain turns can be really nice or getting a Defog on that thing can be useful)
  • 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Zapdos in Sun: 246-289 (64.2 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Zapdos can defog on that thing as well)

Starscream (Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 208 Def / 36 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Iron Head
Skarmory is a must if you dont want to get swept by Ice. I am using a Stealth Rock - Whirlwind variant for utility and Iron Head because i dont like Diancie :D . I m using some SpDef investments just to take Diancie hits a little better and Rocky Helmet for breaking Sashes and Multiscales which can be annoying. This thing is the only mon in this team that actually wants to take physical hits since Gliscor is spdef so you better use it carefully as well.
Calcs:

Waterwall (Gyarados-Mega) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 204 HP / 72 Atk / 44 Def / 88 SpD / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

When I decided to use Gyarados as a Mega, I had this specific set in mind. This Set can potentially sweep ice monotypes when Mega-Abomasnow and Kyurem-B are weakened as well as Rock. This thing easily sets up on defensive mons that most of the times try to toxic stall or burn you like Mega-Sab. I have won many battles where my opponent thought this was a regular d-dance set and it costed him. The key in using this thing right is mega-evolving in the right time, Its flying type can be useful in beating volcaronas or Charizard-Y 1v1 because Giga Drain-Solar Beam does neutral be4 mega evolving. I used this spread because i need this thing as bulky as possible while not lacking the damage to kill certain mons.

Nitemare (Dragonite) @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Bulky Band Dragonite is such an amaizing mon for this team. Banded e-speed can make up for the lack of speed in this team while banded outrage can wallbreak things like chansey and porygon2 , especially once eviolites are gone. Fire punch helps in killing Ferros and scizors while earthquake kills Heatrans and empoleons. The 56 speed evs are for outspeeding uninvested Rotom-W.

Landbreaker (Landorus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave

I decided to use Landorus-I as my special wallbreaker because this thing just shits on teams. Its definately the best special wallbreaker on flying and its coverage is exactly what i needed on this team. I decided to use Rock Slide Because it allows me to take down Zapdos-Skarm Cores along with Focus Blast. I also use Sludge Wave over psychic because it helps dealing better with fairies who can be annoying.

This things poses the biggest threat on my team mainly because of the variety of things it can do. This thing can either be scarf , band , av or life orb and for each set i have a different way to beat it. If its scarf / band i can see what move he lock himself into and try to counterplay. If its life orb i can sac , go into Lando and hope that Focus Blast hits. If its AV i can sac again go to lando and rock slide. Although there are ways to deal with it , it still does a good amount of damage to my team because i have to sac mons to do so. What i usually do to deal with it is start with gliscor protect and sac it trying to figure out its moveset. Thats literally the only thing i can do

This thing can also be a huge threat for this team , especially when using HP Fire. I have no real switch ins to the HP Fire Variant , however i can sac something, go to Skarmory and kill it with Iron Head since HP Fire does around 70%. If it has protect tho , it probably doesnt have HP Fire , in that case Skarmory can wall it in that case so the best way to deal with it is to Lead with Landorus-I to scout his moveset and potentially kill it 1v1 as landorus can take a hit and retaliate.

To sum up I would like to say that I think that this is a fun team to play with and it can be very threatening when used well. I would like to thank you guys for hearing me out and i hope you have the same fun I had while using this team. I would also like to say goodbye to one of the most amaizing battlers i have seen as well as one of the people that I really enjoy battling and I always looked up to : Shoutouts to Booty as he will leave Showdown soon , I hope you have a great life from now on pal, good luck on the OLT and thanks for inspiring me and for helping me to get better ! :)

You can find my team here :

Infections (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 196 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost

Wall Of Lightning (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 4 SpA / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

Starscream (Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 208 Def / 36 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Iron Head

Waterwall (Gyarados-Mega) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 204 HP / 72 Atk / 44 Def / 88 SpD / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Nitemare (Dragonite) @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Landbreaker (Landorus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)