Project Monotype Core Laddering Challenge [INDEX THREAD]

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
approved by scpinion

Welcome to the Monotype Core Laddering Challenge Index Thread! The Core Laddering Challenge obviously involves laddering...with a core! Seeing as this is the Monotype Core Laddering challenge, we will be laddering on the Monotype ladder on Pokemon Showdown!. It is a competition encompassing multiple elements of competitive play: teambuilding, adapting, and battling! Various types will get a core every week, but you will have 2 weeks to ladder with core in order to achieve a Hall of Fame rank. After you've gotten the core, it's time to teambuild! The only restriction is that you'll have to use the Pokemon in the core; you may decide the move-sets, EVs and items yourself, as well as the partners. If a Pokemon capable of mega-evolving is provided, and it is not stated that you must use the mega-evolution, then it is your choice as to whether or not it gets a mega-stone.

Overview of Challenge Rules
by Sly Mav/Rum & Coke
  • To register, reply to the challenge you are participating in with the following information: Your Username, and your Laddering Alt (which must have the required tag) (Click here for example post)
  • To apply for a Hall of Fame level, or submit a peak, state your Username, your Laddering Alt, the HoF Level you are applying for (or your new peak), and proof (i.e. Replays, Screenshots, ect)
  • While you are laddering on your CC alt, you are only allowed to use a CC team, which corresponds with the CC tag of your alt. If you are found to have broken this rule on purpose, you will be disqualified. You must use the correct CC tag (CCXxN) as specifed, if you wish to be eligible for the Hall of Fame (HoF). Failure to do so, will render your challenge invalid.
  • Asking your opponent for a free win or asking your opponent to forfeit is STRICLY PROHIBITED. Anyone caught doing this will be disqualified from competing in the Core Challenges.
  • It is strictly prohibited to share an account with another user, so that they may ladder for you. If caught you will be disqualified from competing in the Core Challenges.
  • Your CC team must contain the 2 members of the core at all times. You are free to change the other 4 members of your team as you wish, however.
Beginner's Guide to the Core Ladder Challenge
by Sly Mav/Rum & Coke
  • Step 1: Choose a core that you wish to compete with, observing what the CC tag for that core is. CC tags have a format of "CCXxN" [CC=Core Challenge; Xx=Type, N= The Cycle/Round of the type]. So for example, "CCWa2" is the 2nd cycle/round of the Water type cores.
  • Step 2: Create an alternate account ("alt" for short) using the CC tag. For example: "CCWa2 YourName"
  • Step 3: Reply to the challenge in which you want to participate in, and provide your Username, and the Laddering Alt you will be using. Your PS Username is your regular account and the CC alt is the alternate account you just created.
  • Step 4: Build a Monotype team, which includes the two (2) pokemon listed in the Core you're doing. Please note carefully whether the Pokemon in the core are capable of Mega Evolution and whether or not they must hold their Mega Stone, as specified.
  • Step 5: When you are sure that your team is ready, log into your CC alt and begin battling on the Monotype Ladder.
  • Step 6: When you reach a milestone ELO, for example 1300 / 1350 ELO for the "Silver" rank, save the replay and submit the link in the thread for proof.
  • Step 7: If you reach the "Platinum" rank of 1550/1600 ELO, save the replay of each new ELO peak that you achieve which is greater than the listed HoF level. Before the challenge ends, submit the replay that shows your highest overall peak. The Top Finisher of each Core is the person with the highest ELO peak overall, in a submitted replay.
Do not cheat in this challenge! It is a global PS! offense to boost your ladder ranking. Within the confines of this challenge, this includes asking opponents to forfeit so you don't lose ELO.
People caught boosting their ELO in any way will be disqualified. No exceptions, you've been warned.

Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use more than one type in each challenge?

Yes, just make sure you have a tagged alt for each one.

When can I start laddering?
As soon as you post in the challenge thread here on Smogon, you can start laddering.

Do I need to save/submit all my replays?
NO! Please submit replays that show you reaching a Hall of Fame level, or ones that provide proof of a laddering peak (screenshots are also fine). If you forget to save the replay when you first pass a Hall of Fame level, then just save another replay proving you were above the Hall of Fame level.
Do I have to keep the same team for all the ladder matches?
Nope, feel free to change the team around the Pokemon in the core as often as you like. However, if you are caught on the ladder without the core on a tagged alt you will be disqualified.

I think these cores are stupid. When will there be better ones?
New cores will be up every week. They will eventually cover all 18 types and multiple play-styles. If you have a suggestion for a core, pm it to Dece1t accompanied by a brief description of why those Pokemon support one another and the it will consider it for future challenges.

For any questions or concerns regarding the challenge, please contact myself (iLlama) via Private Message (PM) on Smogon forums or in the Monotype Room on Pokemon Showdown.

Previous Cycles (SUMO)
Previous Cycles (ORAS)

Last edited:

iLlama

Top Finishers

Calucha's Fire Team (SM Challenge #1, peaked 1511 ELO)

terrors's Ghost Team (SM Challenge #1, peaked 1512 ELO)

iExca's Flying Team (SM Challenge #1, peaked 1624 ELO)

Clearly's Poison Team (SM Challenge #2, peaked 1533 ELO)

Mateeus_1's Normal Team (SM Challenge #2, peaked 1578)

Jo' Z's Psychic Team (SM Challenge #2, peaked 1467)

6ti's Dragon Team (SM Challenge #3, peaked 1604)

Crimson Torrent's Grass Team (SM Challenge #3, peaked 1556)

Ticken's Ground Team (SM Challenge #4, peaked 1557)

terrors's Dark Team (SM Challenge #4, peaked 1292)

GnralLao's Electric Team (SM Challenge #5, peaked 1565)

Garbagery's Ice Team (SM Challenge #5, peaked 1614)

Garbagery's Bug Team (SM Challenge #6, peaked 1533)

Devinp0's Fairy Team (SM Challenge #6, peaked 1621)

Moosical's Fighting Team (SM Challenge #7, peaked 1522)

Alpha Harpreet's Rock Team (SM Challenge #7, peaked 1429)

Shine Drive (No Steel Team Available) (SM Challenge #8, peaked 1328)

Keahi's Water Team (SM Challenge #8, peaked 1469)

Last edited:

iLlama

approved by scpinion

SM Challenge #1

3 Cores, Dec 16 - Dec 30

Flying

Celesteela + Mantine
tag: CCFl9
Hall of Fame Rankings:
Platinum: 1550+
Gold: 1450+
Silver: 1350+
Bronze: 1250+

Ghost

Decidueye + Alolan Marwoak
tag: CCGh9
Rankings
Platinum: 1500+
Gold: 1400+
Silver: 1300+
Bronze: 1200+

Fire

Mega Charizard X + Salazzle
tag: CCFi9

Note: To register to participate in a core challenge, you must reply to this forum with the proper information to be eligible! See the example post here for details. This also applies for submitting peaks (with that said please keep all of your information onto 1 post)! Otherwise, refer to the Index Thread for the official rules and info on this project.

As an additional side note, the HoF rankings for the new few or so challenges will start lower than we normally have them due to the fact that the ladder is still developing. They'll be bumped back up once its easier to make 1600 ELO.​

Last edited by a moderator:
approved by scpinion

Challenge #70

3 Cores, Dec 16 - Dec 30

Flying

Celesteela + Mantine
tag: CCFl9
Hall of Fame Rankings:
Platinum: 1550+
Gold: 1450+
Silver: 1350+
Bronze: 1250+

Ghost

Decidueye + Alolan Marwoak
tag: CCGh9
Rankings

Fire

Mega Charizard X + Salazzle
tag: CCFi9

Note: To register to participate in a core challenge, you must reply to this forum with the proper information to be eligible! See the example post here for details. This also applies for submitting peaks (with that said please keep all of your information onto 1 post)! Otherwise, refer to the Index Thread for the official rules and info on this project.
Challenge Registration:
PS! Name: Dece1t
Laddering Alt(s): CCFl9 Stun, CCGh9 Stun, CCFi9 Stun
HoF Replays/Peaks:
None

Dharma

komorebi
is a Top Artist
Challenge registration
PS Name: HNBL
Laddering Alt: CCFi9 Rip Han, CCGh9 Rip Han
HoF:
Gold
2016-12-20 09.15.12.png

Last edited:
Challenge Registration
Ps name: AB Garry2Scary / Best Ghost user
Alt:
CCGH9 Garry

Back to challenge cores :)

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give decidueye I'd give it like a 4 or 5 it gets out classed by other ghost and grass types that are bulkier and stronger and it's stats is all over the place.

Last edited:

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Challenge Registration
PS Name: geerat/darksylvion
Laddering Alt: CCFl9 darks
HoF: None yet

Challenge Registration:
PS Name(s): aGroove/Omega Groove
Laddering alt(s): CCFl9 Flap Flaps

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)