[Monotype] Clefable

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
QC: Lax / Eien / scpinion
GP: The Dutch Plumberjack / P Squared

[OVERVIEW]

The combination of Clefable's decent bulk, a good defensive typing in Fairy that leaves it only weak to Steel and Poison, its abilities, and its movepool makes it incredibly versatile and able to fulfill a lot of different roles on the team. Clefable is great at compressing many roles due to its vast movepool and good bulk backed by two great abilities. Its primary roles on the team can be to check Scizor, get entry hazards up, and be a wincon in a lot of match-ups. Its two primary abilities are Magic Guard and Unaware. Magic Guard is very nice for absorbing moves like Toxic, Will-O-Wisp, and Leech Seed, coming in on hazards without taking any damage, and even negating Life Orb recoil to let Clefable be used as an offensive tank. Unaware on the other hand lets it check setup sweepers such as Mega Gyarados and Mega Scizor and stop them from sweeping your team. Additionally, Clefable's wide movepool gives it many options. It has access to Stealth Rock, which not many other Fairy-type Pokemon do. It can be a cleric with access to Wish and Heal Bell, it has nice utility options in Encore, Knock Off, and Thunder Wave, it has very solid coverage in Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, and Moonblast, and Calm Mind can turn it into a very dangerous setup sweeper that's not easy to deal with. It's one of the few Pokemon on Fairy that are able to survive an unboosted Bullet Punch from Mega Scizor and have access to Fire-type moves in Flamethrower and Fire Blast, and that makes it a very important asset to Fairy.

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
name 1: Moonblast
name 2: Calm Mind
name 3: Soft-Boiled
name 4: Fire Blast / Thunder Wave
item: Leftovers
ability: Magic Guard
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Moonblast is the strongest Fairy-type move Clefable gets. It gets STAB, it's consistent, and not many Pokemon resist Fairy. Calm Mind boosts Clefable's Special Attack and Special Defense, which makes it very dangerous because it can be very hard to take out. Depending on the match-up, the game could already be over if Clefable gets to set up a few Calm Minds. Soft-Boiled allows Clefable to restore its HP, which is very helpful when it's trying to set up. Fire Blast allows Clefable to hit Steel-types, which otherwise wall it. It's especially useful for Mega Scizor, which otherwise can set up for free against Clefable. Unlike Flamethrower, which requires it to come in on Stealth Rock first, Fire Blast gets the OHKO on Mega Scizor at full HP. Thunder Wave is an alternative option that provides great support for the rest of the team, allowing it to handle faster Pokemon like Mega Lopunny, Terrakion, Victini and Mega Pinsir, and also supports the Calm Mind sweep. Stealth Rock applies a lot of pressure in certain match-ups such as against Flying, Bug, Fire, and Ice, and Clefable is one of the only Fairy-type Pokemon to get access to it.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP EVs are used to make Clefable as bulky as possible, as it needs to be able to take hits to fulfill its many roles. Maximum Defense EVs allow Clefable to check physical attackers, which it's the go-to Fairy-type Pokemon to do, and it also helps it take both physical and special hits after setting up a Calm Mind. An alternative spread of 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD with a Calm nature gives Clefable a little more Special Defense and allows it to avoid getting 2HKOed by Mega Diancie's Moonblast and Mega Manectric's and Thundurus's Thunderbolt. However, if that spread is used, strong physical attackers such as Mega Swampert and Mega Garchomp become hard to check or switch into, as they'll all be able to 2HKO Clefable. Leftovers allows Clefable to check Pokemon better by restoring a bit of health each turn and increasing its longevity. Magic Guard is very helpful for absorbing crippling status such as burn and poison and avoiding damage from entry hazards, Leech Seed, and weather.

Usage Tips
========

Clefable can serve as a defensive pivot, as it takes neutral hits pretty easily for the most part, but it can't switch in on very powerful attackers such as Choice Specs Keldeo, Landorus, Choice Band Azumarill, and other strong wallbreakers, as they can all 2HKO it. It can also pivot into Pokemon that want to spread burns or poison due to Magic Guard, and those Pokemon are usually easy setup fodder. It can set set up with Calm Mind against Pokemon that aren't able to 2HKO it or aren't threats to it at all such as Rotom-W, Sableye, and non-Taunt Mew. It should not be used on physical attackers that 2HKO Clefable, as it's only able to boost its Special Defense. Before setting up a Calm Mind, though, Clefable is vulnerable to strong special attacks, as it's not able to tank them as well as it tanks physical attacks. Calm Mind doesn't always have to be used with the intention to sweep; it can be useful early-game for checking specially attacking threats and dealing with them more effectively. Although its Speed isn't high, Clefable should avoid getting paralyzed so it can be more reliable at fulfilling its roles. Clefable can survive a Bullet Punch from Choice Band Scizor and take it out with Fire Blast, but to do so its health has to be preserved. Thunder Wave can be used on any Pokemon whether it's faster than Clefable or not because the full paralysis chance is always nice, and it helps in beating Pokemon such as +1 Gyarados, which would otherwise beat Clefable one-on-one.

Team Options
========

Klefki's ability to set up Reflect and Light Screen helps support the Clefable sweep a ton. Dual screens combined with Clefable's bulk allow it to use Calm Mind as much as it wants as well as slow down the foe with Thunder Wave and potentially just win the game right there. Pokemon that resist Moonblast can stop the Clefable sweep, notably Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Empoleon, which are very bulky and can even beat a +6 Clefable. Azumarill, being a very strong physical wallbreaker, can take care of Heatran and Empoleon, while Ferrothorn can be weakened by any Fire move such as Hidden Power Fire on Mega Diancie and Sylveon or Fire Blast on Togekiss. Gardevoir's Psychic typing allows it to check Poison-type Pokemon for Clefable to have an easier time setting up. When equipped with a Choice Scarf, its Trace ability also allows it to be a check to Sand Rush Excadrill, which is a big threat while sand is up. Gardevoir may also use Trick to cripple Pokemon that Clefable doesn't like, such as Taunt Mew. Choice Specs Sylveon is another great partner to deal with Taunt Gliscor, which shuts down Clefable.

[SET]
name: Utility
name 2: Soft-Boiled
name 3: Stealth Rock
ability: Magic Guard / Unaware
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Moonblast is a strong and consistent Fairy-type attack and is Clefable's best STAB option. Soft-Boiled allows Clefable to replenish its health. Stealth Rock applies a lot of pressure in certain match-ups such as against Flying, Bug, Fire, and Ice. Fire Blast lets Clefable hit Steel-types, which otherwise wall it. It's especially useful for Mega Scizor, which otherwise can set up for free against Clefable. Unlike Flamethrower, which requires it to switch in on Stealth Rock first, Fire Blast gets the OHKO on Mega Scizor at full HP. Thunder Wave is an alternative option that provides great support for the rest of the team by allowing it to handle faster Pokemon like Mega Lopunny and Terrakion.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP is used to make Clefable as bulky as possible, as it needs to be able to take hits to fulfill its many roles. 84 Special Defense EVs with a Calm nature are used to check Kyurem-B, Mega Manectric, Mega Diancie, and Thundurus, while the rest of the EVs go in Defense so Clefable can take a Bullet Punch from Choice Band Scizor and take it out with Fire Blast if it's running it. Leftovers allows Clefable to check Pokemon better by restoring a bit of health each turn and increasing its longevity. Magic Guard is very helpful for absorbing crippling status such as burn and poison and avoiding damage from entry hazards, Leech Seed, and weather. Unaware lets Clefable check +2 Mega Scizor and take it out with Fire Blast.

Usage Tips
========

Clefable is a great defensive pivot, as it takes neutral hits pretty well, but it cannot switch in on very powerful wallbreakers such as Mega Gardevoir, Mega Charizard Y, and Volcanion, because it's going to get 2HKOed. The given EV spread allows it to switch in on most Electric-types and Kyurem-B, thus covering the lack of good Electric switch-ins on Fairy. It can pivot into Pokemon that want to spread crippling status if it's running Magic Guard. If Unaware is the chosen ability, Clefable can check +2 Mega Scizor, but it still needs to be kept healthy, as it's not able to switch in on a Bullet Punch. It has a good match-up against most Defog users, so Stealth Rock should go up as early as possible to support the rest of the team. Thunder Wave can be used on any foe to cripple them, but it's especially useful against setup sweepers if not running Unaware.

Team Options
========

Klefki's immunity to Poison and neutrality to Steel make it a great partner for Clefable. Steel-types that annoy Clefable such as Heatran and Empoleon are big threats to Fairy. Azumarill is a very strong physical wallbreaker that has the ability to deal with both of those two. Pokemon with Fire-type coverage such as Togekiss and Mega Diancie are good partners for dealing with Steel-types that threaten Clefable. Gardevoir checks Poison-type Pokemon that Clefable can't do much against. When it's equipped with a Choice Scarf, its Trace ability also allows it to be a check to Sand Rush Excadrill, which is a big threat while sand is up. Gardevoir can also use Trick to cripple Pokemon that Clefable doesn't like facing, such as Mew and Gliscor. Choice Specs Sylveon is a very strong wallbreaker that's able to 2HKO Gliscor.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Using Stealth Rock over Thunder Wave or Fire Blast on the Calm Mind set is a viable option for teams that want the role compression. Unaware can be used to check setup sweepers such as Mega Gyarados and set up alongside them. It's only recommended to use Unaware if you're running Fire Blast so Clefable can check Mega Scizor, the biggest threat to Fairy. Flamethrower is an option over Fire Blast for better accuracy and more PP. Stealth Rock can be used over Fire Blast or Thunder Wave on the Calm Mind set if you're unable to fit it anywhere else on the team and you already have something to check Scizor. Ice Beam allows Clefable to hit Gliscor, which shuts down Clefable if it has Taunt; however, by running Ice Beam you miss out on more important moves. On top of Calm Mind, Cosmic Power can be used to make Clefable an even more dangerous and bulky setup sweeper that's very hard to deal with for some types. Wish can provide great support to the rest of the team thanks to Clefable's high HP stat. Heal Bell is an option on the utility set for getting rid of status that may annoy your team; however, Togekiss is the superior option to use this move.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Even if it's carrying Fire coverage, Clefable still can't touch Heatran and Empoleon, and numerous fast and powerful Steel-type Pokemon can potentially take it out such as Bisharp and Excadrill.

**Fire-types**: Fire-type Pokemon resist Clefable's two standard moves, and a lot of Fire-type Pokemon are strong wallbreakers that are able to take on Clefable.

**Poison-types**: Poison-type Pokemon resist Clefable's STAB Moonblast, and powerful Poison-type wallbreakers such as Gengar and Nidoking have no problem taking it out even if it has used Calm Mind a couple of times.

**Taunt Users**: Taunt users prevent Clefable from setting up, healing, or spreading status, therefore forcing it to switch out.

**Chansey**: Chansey's amazing special bulk allows it to reliably check Clefable and eat up its attacks.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Clefable is only able to boost its Special Defense with Calm Mind, leaving it vulnerable to strong physical attackers such as Choice Band Azumarill.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Before setting up a Calm Mind, Clefable is quite vulnerable to strong special attackers such as Choice Specs Keldeo and Sludge Wave Landorus.

**Setup Sweepers**: Certain setup sweepers such as Gyarados and Mega Scizor can set up against Clefable if it doesn't have the right move to deal with them.

Last edited:

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
Hi- lots of things I see here.

First of all, "only" Pokemon that live a BP is an extreme understatement, half of the viable mons on Fairy (Azu, Klefki, Clef) are able to tank a BP so I would change it to "Clefable is one of the few Fairy type mons able to live a hit from Mega Scizor unboosted, which is major due to the amount of pressure Scizor applies on Fairy teams.
Order the "Pros" in order of relevancy because people reading are going to check that out first. My order would be: Bulk, Scizor, Fire Move, Magic Guard, Rocks, Calm Mind, and other Utility moves.

I wouldn't name the set "Calm Mind" because Clefable can serve SO many options on Fairy Teams. For example, I and a decent amount of other users run Stealth Rocks on their Clef to support certain match-ups so I think it definitely should be slashed. Getting rocks up vs Fire, Bug, Flying, or Ice teams can apply a ton of pressure. I'd slash Calm Mind and Rocks, the Flamethrower and Thunder Wave slash is fine.
This might seem odd but considering the rocks, Unaware should at least get its own mention. While it does not need to be slashed, unaware is a fine set on its own. Unaware means you live any Scizor hit guaranteed and get a nice Fire move off, it also means you wall things like Sub CM Keld, Regular Dos, Dragonite, etc.

Landorus I does not counter or check Clefable if it already has a CM up. Same with Volcanion. Mention how Taunt users need to resist Clefable's attacks or Clef can still deal with it.

After implementations, QC: 1/3

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This mon needs more than one set.

I think we need 3 (other qc may disagree, though)
1. the standard cm set from OU, with fire coverage emphasized
2. a support set with rocks
3. An unaware set.

On mobile so I don't want to really elaborate on each set, but we at least need an unaware set in this.

Edit: Some of this was sniped by lax. Rip.

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Hi- lots of things I see here.

First of all, "only" Pokemon that live a BP is an extreme understatement, half of the viable mons on Fairy (Azu, Klefki, Clef) are able to tank a BP so I would change it to "Clefable is one of the few Fairy type mons able to live a hit from Mega Scizor unboosted, which is major due to the amount of pressure Scizor applies on Fairy teams.
Order the "Pros" in order of relevancy because people reading are going to check that out first. My order would be: Bulk, Scizor, Fire Move, Magic Guard, Rocks, Calm Mind, and other Utility moves.

I wouldn't name the set "Calm Mind" because Clefable can serve SO many options on Fairy Teams. For example, I and a decent amount of other users run Stealth Rocks on their Clef to support certain match-ups so I think it definitely should be slashed. Getting rocks up vs Fire, Bug, Flying, or Ice teams can apply a ton of pressure. I'd slash Calm Mind and Rocks, the Flamethrower and Thunder Wave slash is fine.
This might seem odd but considering the rocks, Unaware should at least get its own mention. While it does not need to be slashed, unaware is a fine set on its own. Unaware means you live any Scizor hit guaranteed and get a nice Fire move off, it also means you wall things like Sub CM Keld, Regular Dos, Dragonite, etc.

Landorus I does not counter or check Clefable if it already has a CM up. Same with Volcanion. Mention how Taunt users need to resist Clefable's attacks or Clef can still deal with it.

After implementations, QC: 1/3
Implemented everything except the title of the set, not sure what the name should be.

Edit: I'll just do what scpinion suggested. I thought about that at first but I was hesitant to making an Unaware set because I haven't seen that used in Monotype. I'll get it done tomorrow.

scpinion

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Implemented everything except the title of the set, not sure what the name should be.

Edit: I'll just do what scpinion suggested. I thought about that at first but I was hesitant to making an Unaware set because I haven't seen that used in Monotype. I'll get it done tomorrow.
Unaware used to be really common. Talk with dirpz about the set he used if you're unfamiliar with it.

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
This mon needs more than one set.

I think we need 3 (other qc may disagree, though)
1. the standard cm set from OU, with fire coverage emphasized
2. a support set with rocks
3. An unaware set.

On mobile so I don't want to really elaborate on each set, but we at least need an unaware set in this.

Edit: Some of this was sniped by lax. Rip.
2 is sufficient enough, the set I ran tied both Unaware and Rocks together.

Hey, first a few formatting things. Clefable is only Fairy-type, so you should probably change the thread title to [Monotype] Clefable [QC: 1/3]. Also, you didn't write it up yet, it's still in bullet point format, so don't say so. Writing is only after the 2nd QC. Also, anywhere you do **Fairy** remove that, since Clefable is only for Fairy-type anyway.

About the Overview, I have honestly never seen Heal Bell or Encore Clefable. Are they actually used? I would also mention that it's quite vulnerable to special attackers if it doesn't have Calm Mind boosts under its belt. It has decent bulk, but really only physically. I would also mention its ridiculous splashability, perhaps as your first sentence even. It fits on pretty much every single Fairy team thanks to its ridiculous movepool and set options.

For the first set:
In Moves, I would like to see better explanations for Flamethrower and Thunder Wave. Why should I use one or the other? Make it easier for the reader to decide, right now all I get is 1 positive for each. Spreading Thunder Wave is also important for helping the relatively slow Fairy team handle faster Pokemon, many of which Clefable can try to wall, such as Terrakion or Mega Lopunny. This gives Clefable a more utility/support role on the team without compromising its sweeping abilities too much. Flamethrower on the other hand should be noted to be specifically for Mega Scizor, which otherwise sets up on Clefable for free, since Thunder Wave is relatively painless for the priority using Bug-type.

By the way, isn't Fire Blast superior to Flamethrower for its ability to guarantee an OHKO on Mega Scizor, which Flamethrower requires Stealth Rock support to do? The very same Stealth Rock support that Clefable is trying to provide. This is your call, but personally I'd rather risk the 15% to miss than the 68.7% to not OHKO with Flamethrower in a situation where you only have 1 turn to kill it.

I too think Unaware needs a bigger mention. Lax said it didn't need to be slashed, so that's fine, but I would move it out of OO and into Set Details because I feel it's actually a important part of this set. Unaware, in my opinion, should only be used on sets with Calm Mind, don't use it with Stealth Rock. Unaware is huge for stopping Mega Scizor straight up, as with Reflect, it cannot 2HKO Clefable, allowing Clefable to set up its own boosts with relative freedom. Unaware also prevents opposing BD Azumarill sweeps, but be aware this does make Gliscor a bigger problem, as Toxic poison will now be able to chip Clefable down. Make sure you cover the pros and cons for both abilities. Oh by the way, you should probably mention that Moonlight has to be used with Unaware, as Soft-boiled is incompatible.

In Usage Tips, talk about Clefable's weakness to special attackers before Calm Mind boosts. It may be worth using Calm Mind even early-game to check special switch-ins that think they can threaten Clefable. On the other hand, Calm Mind is a wasted turn if the opponent goes to a more reliable check, so going for the sweep should be saved for late-game or at least until after its checks are gone.

Talk about its other move options that you've slashed. If Clefable has Thunder Wave, it should be spreading paralysis early-game to support its team quickly. If it manages to paralyze its check early-game, that's huge for its sweep late-game. If Clefable has Stealth Rock, it has a pretty good matchup against many Defog users, so it should try to get them ASAP and keep them up for the team. In general, differentiate the Clefable play early from late, that is, Clefable should be supporting early and think of sweeping later.

In Team Options, Klefki's Poison immunity should definitely be mentioned alongside its screens support. A Choice Band Hoopa-U Gunk Shot OHKOes even the bulkiest of Clefables, so having Klefki is huge for stopping that.

Mention Heatran specifically for Togekiss when you say "Steel-types that wall Clefable", as with Flamethrower most other Steel-types aren't as big of an issue. Even better, I would qualify Clefable to be Clefable without Flamethrower so that it's more clear.

Mega Venusaur is a bit of a problem for Clefable before it gets boosts. Maybe mention that Mega Gardevoir can 2HKO Mega Venusaur, while Choice Scarf Gardevoir cannot. Choice Scarf Togekiss also beats it pretty handily.

Speaking of Gardevoir, it's not even mentioned at all. Gardevoir is wonderful for its Trace, making it able to Trace and outspeed Sand Rush Adamant Excadrill, whose Iron Head almost always OHKOes Clefable, and Swift Swim Modest Kingdra, whose Hydro Pump in rain also almost always OHKOes Clefable.

Gardevoir and Togekiss can also Trick their Choice Scarf onto the extremely bulky Pokemon Clefable cannot boost high enough to beat, such as Chansey, due to its amazing bulk, and Tentacruel, due to its Acid Spray. Choice Scarf can also be Tricked to stallbreakers such as Mew and Gliscor which can slowly but surely defeat Clefable with Taunt.

For the second set:
I would put Thunder Wave before Flamethrower on this set, as it is a far more "utility" type move and fits better with the goal of this set.

In Usage Tips, talk about Stealth Rock! Clefable has a great matchup against most Defog users, so it can easily come in and put them up early-game and keep them up too. Clefable is pretty reliable for this, and thanks to its longevity, can do so throughout the game. Also, again, talk about spreading Thunder Wave if it's being used for obvious reasons: paralyzing Skarmory for Azumarill sweep, etc.

Team Options, much the same comments as for the other set. Klefki's Poison immunity, Togekiss still handles Heatran, etc.

A Mega Venusaur answer is much more important for this set, as Mega Venusaur now beats Clefable because it has no Calm Mind.

In Other Options, I know I asked you to move Unaware out when I talked about it for the CM set so it's empty. Still, you could mention Unaware for specifically the support set, as that is a possibility, though Magic Guard is generally preferred. Unaware should only be used if it has Flamethrower or Fire Blast though, so it can still check Mega Scizor, the primary problem.

As I mentioned I think Fire Blast is superior, so I'd put Flamethrower here for reliability especially against foes such as Bisharp, which at +1 gets OHKOes after Life Orb Recoil. Flamethrower also reliably stalls out the Synthesis of Mega Venusaur and can't miss, although you would need to be quite unlucky to lose to Mega Venusaur once boosts start stacking with Fire Blast.

I would also mention that Clefable can make huge Wishes and pass them to its teammates. If you choose to do so, put Wish in the Overview list of support too!

On utility sets, Heal Bell potentially can be used and should be mentioned here? You talked about it in the Overview, so it's weird to not see Heal Bell at all. I don't really know much about it so I'm just guessing here. My first assumption is that it's useful for fooling Mews into using Will-O-Wisp on Mega Diancie to Synchronize the burn and later using Heal Bell to cleanse it. I would probably mention that Togekiss is a better cleric though, as it has fewer options that are unique to it. If you keep Encore, talk about it.

For Checks and Counters, strong special attackers are also problems. Landorus, Keldeo, etc. can all stop Clefable before it sets up Calm Mind, or completely stop it if it's the support set.

I would also mention certain setup sweepers, as Clefable may lack the tools to stop them. Without Thunder Wave, Gyarados sets up, without Fire Blast or Flamethrower, Mega Scizor can set up. That sort of idea.

Sorry this is so long, I don't usually bold sections, but I did here so that it's easier for you to see what section is what. This is such an important Pokemon, I want to make sure it's the best it can be!

QC 2/3

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Hey, first a few formatting things. Clefable is only Fairy-type, so you should probably change the thread title to [Monotype] Clefable [QC: 1/3]. Also, you didn't write it up yet, it's still in bullet point format, so don't say so. Writing is only after the 2nd QC. Also, anywhere you do **Fairy** remove that, since Clefable is only for Fairy-type anyway.

About the Overview, I have honestly never seen Heal Bell or Encore Clefable. Are they actually used? I would also mention that it's quite vulnerable to special attackers if it doesn't have Calm Mind boosts under its belt. It has decent bulk, but really only physically. I would also mention its ridiculous splashability, perhaps as your first sentence even. It fits on pretty much every single Fairy team thanks to its ridiculous movepool and set options.

For the first set:
In Moves, I would like to see better explanations for Flamethrower and Thunder Wave. Why should I use one or the other? Make it easier for the reader to decide, right now all I get is 1 positive for each. Spreading Thunder Wave is also important for helping the relatively slow Fairy team handle faster Pokemon, many of which Clefable can try to wall, such as Terrakion or Mega Lopunny. This gives Clefable a more utility/support role on the team without compromising its sweeping abilities too much. Flamethrower on the other hand should be noted to be specifically for Mega Scizor, which otherwise sets up on Clefable for free, since Thunder Wave is relatively painless for the priority using Bug-type.

By the way, isn't Fire Blast superior to Flamethrower for its ability to guarantee an OHKO on Mega Scizor, which Flamethrower requires Stealth Rock support to do? The very same Stealth Rock support that Clefable is trying to provide. This is your call, but personally I'd rather risk the 15% to miss than the 68.7% to not OHKO with Flamethrower in a situation where you only have 1 turn to kill it.

I too think Unaware needs a bigger mention. Lax said it didn't need to be slashed, so that's fine, but I would move it out of OO and into Set Details because I feel it's actually a important part of this set. Unaware, in my opinion, should only be used on sets with Calm Mind, don't use it with Stealth Rock. Unaware is huge for stopping Mega Scizor straight up, as with Reflect, it cannot 2HKO Clefable, allowing Clefable to set up its own boosts with relative freedom. Unaware also prevents opposing BD Azumarill sweeps, but be aware this does make Gliscor a bigger problem, as Toxic poison will now be able to chip Clefable down. Make sure you cover the pros and cons for both abilities. Oh by the way, you should probably mention that Moonlight has to be used with Unaware, as Soft-boiled is incompatible.

In Usage Tips, talk about Clefable's weakness to special attackers before Calm Mind boosts. It may be worth using Calm Mind even early-game to check special switch-ins that think they can threaten Clefable. On the other hand, Calm Mind is a wasted turn if the opponent goes to a more reliable check, so going for the sweep should be saved for late-game or at least until after its checks are gone.

Talk about its other move options that you've slashed. If Clefable has Thunder Wave, it should be spreading paralysis early-game to support its team quickly. If it manages to paralyze its check early-game, that's huge for its sweep late-game. If Clefable has Stealth Rock, it has a pretty good matchup against many Defog users, so it should try to get them ASAP and keep them up for the team. In general, differentiate the Clefable play early from late, that is, Clefable should be supporting early and think of sweeping later.

In Team Options, Klefki's Poison immunity should definitely be mentioned alongside its screens support. A Choice Band Hoopa-U Gunk Shot OHKOes even the bulkiest of Clefables, so having Klefki is huge for stopping that.

Mention Heatran specifically for Togekiss when you say "Steel-types that wall Clefable", as with Flamethrower most other Steel-types aren't as big of an issue. Even better, I would qualify Clefable to be Clefable without Flamethrower so that it's more clear.

Mega Venusaur is a bit of a problem for Clefable before it gets boosts. Maybe mention that Mega Gardevoir can 2HKO Mega Venusaur, while Choice Scarf Gardevoir cannot. Choice Scarf Togekiss also beats it pretty handily.

Speaking of Gardevoir, it's not even mentioned at all. Gardevoir is wonderful for its Trace, making it able to Trace and outspeed Sand Rush Adamant Excadrill, whose Iron Head almost always OHKOes Clefable, and Swift Swim Modest Kingdra, whose Hydro Pump in rain also almost always OHKOes Clefable.

Gardevoir and Togekiss can also Trick their Choice Scarf onto the extremely bulky Pokemon Clefable cannot boost high enough to beat, such as Chansey, due to its amazing bulk, and Tentacruel, due to its Acid Spray. Choice Scarf can also be Tricked to stallbreakers such as Mew and Gliscor which can slowly but surely defeat Clefable with Taunt.

For the second set:
I would put Thunder Wave before Flamethrower on this set, as it is a far more "utility" type move and fits better with the goal of this set.

In Usage Tips, talk about Stealth Rock! Clefable has a great matchup against most Defog users, so it can easily come in and put them up early-game and keep them up too. Clefable is pretty reliable for this, and thanks to its longevity, can do so throughout the game. Also, again, talk about spreading Thunder Wave if it's being used for obvious reasons: paralyzing Skarmory for Azumarill sweep, etc.

Team Options, much the same comments as for the other set. Klefki's Poison immunity, Togekiss still handles Heatran, etc.

A Mega Venusaur answer is much more important for this set, as Mega Venusaur now beats Clefable because it has no Calm Mind.

In Other Options, I know I asked you to move Unaware out when I talked about it for the CM set so it's empty. Still, you could mention Unaware for specifically the support set, as that is a possibility, though Magic Guard is generally preferred. Unaware should only be used if it has Flamethrower or Fire Blast though, so it can still check Mega Scizor, the primary problem.

As I mentioned I think Fire Blast is superior, so I'd put Flamethrower here for reliability especially against foes such as Bisharp, which at +1 gets OHKOes after Life Orb Recoil. Flamethrower also reliably stalls out the Synthesis of Mega Venusaur and can't miss, although you would need to be quite unlucky to lose to Mega Venusaur once boosts start stacking with Fire Blast.

I would also mention that Clefable can make huge Wishes and pass them to its teammates. If you choose to do so, put Wish in the Overview list of support too!

On utility sets, Heal Bell potentially can be used and should be mentioned here? You talked about it in the Overview, so it's weird to not see Heal Bell at all. I don't really know much about it so I'm just guessing here. My first assumption is that it's useful for fooling Mews into using Will-O-Wisp on Mega Diancie to Synchronize the burn and later using Heal Bell to cleanse it. I would probably mention that Togekiss is a better cleric though, as it has fewer options that are unique to it. If you keep Encore, talk about it.

For Checks and Counters, strong special attackers are also problems. Landorus, Keldeo, etc. can all stop Clefable before it sets up Calm Mind, or completely stop it if it's the support set.

I would also mention certain setup sweepers, as Clefable may lack the tools to stop them. Without Thunder Wave, Gyarados sets up, without Fire Blast or Flamethrower, Mega Scizor can set up. That sort of idea.

Sorry this is so long, I don't usually bold sections, but I did here so that it's easier for you to see what section is what. This is such an important Pokemon, I want to make sure it's the best it can be!

QC 2/3
I used your title as an example and it had "[Written]" in it, didn't realize how it worked, my bad.'

The moves you mentioned aren't standard on Clefable in Monotype but they're mentioned to show Clefable's wide movepool.

Will be implemented soon.

scpinion

Was on mobile yesterday so I couldn't write this out.

I think we need to expand upon the Unaware stuff in OO. Unaware sets aren't just used to check Scizor (although that is all people seem to use it for recently). Unaware Clef also makes for a good late game win condition (similar to the MG CM set) if the proper Pokemon have been removed—typically defensive Pokemon that carry status or Taunt users. That isn't a terribly difficult task with the offensive pressure Fairy can apply.

I prefer Cosmic Power + Rest/Wish + Moonblast + Calm Mind. However, you can also run a Stored Power set since the rest of the team can cover Dark teams. The idea is to set up 1-2 Cosmic Power boosts, then CM up. Crit's and Taunt are the only concern. Regardless of the attacking move you chose, Klefki's screens are crucial to let you set up the defensive boosts without being overpowered. Alternatively, you can get it into a favorable last mon scenario. This set shifts the Scizor checking responsibilities over to Togekiss (Babiri Berry + Fire attack) and Klefki (Foul Play).

OO also needs a mention of Ice Beam. That lets you bop Gliscor, which can just 6-0 Fairy with the correct set.

You've done a really nice job on a really important 'mon btw.

all falls down

thanks ugly god
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I don't really know about this -- I have always used CM + SR Clefable on Fairy teams and have found that the best role compression for Clefable. I think it should be slashed in the first set.. but this means the second set is useless.

In addition, I don't know why you've made the CM set max hp/max spd, all of those benchmarks that the other spread has are really important -- what else is going to be switching into Thundurus or Manectric? (Fairy literally has no Electric resist) I think you should use the same spread on both sets. Really, every way I think about it the second set is becoming more and more useless.

I'll give this a full QC once you write it up but those are my thoughts.

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
I don't really know about this -- I have always used CM + SR Clefable on Fairy teams and have found that the best role compression for Clefable. I think it should be slashed in the first set.. but this means the second set is useless.

In addition, I don't know why you've made the CM set max hp/max spd, all of those benchmarks that the other spread has are really important -- what else is going to be switching into Thundurus or Manectric? (Fairy literally has no Electric resist) I think you should use the same spread on both sets. Really, every way I think about it the second set is becoming more and more useless.

I'll give this a full QC once you write it up but those are my thoughts.
I recall Lax suggesting full Defense investment for Clefable for being a more reliable answer to physical attacks in another thread so I went with that. You make a good point about Thundurus and Manectric though so I'll go with that spread.

As for the two sets, I agree. I've always used either CM + SR or no Stealth Rock at all. I'll remove the second set and add the one scpinion suggested.

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Finished writing the analysis and implemented Eien's suggestions.

scpinion I gave that set a mention in OO, I don't feel like it should be put as a set of its own.

all falls down In my opinion the Calm Mind set should run max Defense as it has a way of boosting it's Special Defense. I put the spread you suggested for the second set though. I talked to Eien about this and he agreed, pretty sure Lax does as well considering I've seen him suggest a max Defense spread for CM Clefable before.

Apologies for the double post, I wanted a notification to appear to people who already posted here.

scpinion

Nice job! Comments in bold. QC 3/3

QC: Lax / Eien / x
GP: x / x

[OVERVIEW]

The combination of Clefable's decent bulk, good defensive typing in Fairy which is only weak to Steel and Poison, it's abilities and it's movepool make it incredibly versatile and able to fulfill a lot of different roles on the team. It's two abilities are Magic Guard and Unaware. Magic Guard is very nice for absorbing Toxic, Will'O'Wisp, Leech Seed etc. and coming in on hazards without taking any damage and it can even be used as an offensive tank with Life Orb as it Magic Guard prevents the recoil. Unaware on the other hand lets it check set-up sweepers such as Mega Gyarados and Mega Scizor, and stop them from sweeping your team. As previously mentioned, Clefable's movepool is wide and there are many options for it. It has access to Stealth Rock which not many other Fairy type Pokemon do. It can be a cleric with access to Wish and Heal Bell, it has nice utility options in Encore, Knock Off and Thunder Wave and it also has very solid coverage in Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Moonblast and Calm Mind that can turn it into a very dangerous set-up sweeper that's not so easy do deal with. It's one of the few Pokemon on Fairy that are able to survive an unboosted Bullet Punch from Mega Scizor and access to a Fire move in Flamethrower and Fire Blast and that makes it a very important asset to Fairy.

Don't say things like "It's two abilities are Magic Guard and Unaware". That information will be directly above your write up. Something like "Clefable has access to two excellent abilities. <sentences about abilities>" is much better. You need to emphasize clefable's primary role(s) (SR, Scizor check, win con) on a fairy team in the first 2-3 sentences, opposed to listing "things" about it. Don't remove that stuff, just put the primary role(s) before it.

[SET]
name 3: Calm Mind

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Moonblast is the strongest Fairy type move Clefable gets. It's STAB, it's consistent and not many Pokemon resist Fairy. Calm Mind boosts Clefable's SpA and SpD which makes it very dangerous after it's done so as it can be very hard to take out. Depending on the match-up the game could already be over if Clefable gets to set-up a few Calm Minds. Soft-Boiled allows Clefable to restore its HP which is something bulky Pokemon like itself appreciate, and it's very helpful when trying to set up. Fire Blast allows Clefable to hit Steel-types which otherwise wall it. It's especially useful for Mega Scizor which otherwise can set-up for free against Clefable. Unlike Flamethrower, Fire Blast gets the OHKO on Mega Scizor at full HP while Flamethrower needs Mega Scizor to come in on Stealth Rock to get the OHKO. Thunder Wave is an alternative option and it provides great support for the rest of the team allowing it to handle faster Pokemon like Mega Lopunny and Terrakion (shouldn't clef just click Moonblast vs. these? What about Char-Y, Mega-Pinsir and/or Victini?) and also supports the Calm Mind sweep. Stealth Rock is a great support move which applies a lot of pressure in certain match-ups such as against Flying, Bug, Fire and Ice (mention how clef is one of the only options for SR).

Set Details
========
Maximum HP EVs are to make Clefable as bulky as possible as it needs to be able to take hits to fulfill it's many rolls. Maximum Defense EVs allow Clefable to check physical attackers because it's the go-to Fairy-type Pokemon to do so and it also helps it take hits on both sides after setting up a Calm Mind. An alternative spread of 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD with a Calm nature gives Clefable a little more Special Defense and allows it to avoid getting 2HKO'd by Mega Diancie's Moonblast, Mega Manectric's Thunderbolt and Thundurus' Thunderbolt. However if that spread is used, strong physical attackers such as Mega Swampert and Mega Garchomp become hard to check or switch in to as they're all able to 2HKO Clefable. Leftovers allows Clefable to check Pokemon better by restoring a bit of health each turn and increasing its longevity. Its Magic Guard is ability is very helpful for absorbing health crippling status such as burn and poison and avoiding damage from hazards, Leech Seed, weather etc.

Usage Tips
========

Clefable can serve as a defensive pivot as it takes neutral hits pretty easily for the most part, but it can't switch in on very powerful attacks such as Choice Specs Keldeo, Landorus-I, Choice Band Azumarill and other strong wallbreakers as they can all 2HKO Clefable. It can also pivot around on Pokemon that want to spread burns or poison due to it's ability Magic Guard, and those Pokemon are usually easy set-up fodders. It can set set up with Calm Mind against Pokemon that aren't able to 2HKO or aren't threats to it at all such as Rotom-W, Sableye, Mew without Taunt etc. It should not be used on physical attackers that 2HKO Clefable as it's only able to boost it's Special Defense. Before setting up a Calm Mind though, Clefable is vulnerable to strong special attacks as it's not able to tank them as well as it tanks physical attacks. Calm Mind doesn't always have to be used with the intention to sweep, it can be useful early game for checking special attacking threats and dealing with them more effectively. Although it's Speed isn't high, letting it get paralyzed should be avoided so it can be more reliable at fulfilling its roles. Clefable can live a Bullet Punch from Choice Band Scizor and take it out with Fire Blast, but to do so its health has to be preserved. Thunder Wave can be used on any Pokemon whether it's faster than you or not because it's always nice to have the chance to fully paralyze the opponent and it helps in beating Pokemon such as +1 Gyarados who would otherwise beat Clefable one on one.

Team Options
========

Klefki's ability to set-up Reflect and Light Screen helps support the Clefable sweep a ton. Dual Screens being up combined with Clefable's bulk is gonna allow it to Calm Mind as much as it wants as well as slow down the opponent with Thunder Wave and potentially just win the game right there. Pokemon that stop the Clefable sweep are obviously Pokemon that resist Moonblast. Notably Ferrothorn, Heatran and Empoleon which are very bulky and even a +6 Clefable can't take them on. Azumarill being a very strong physical wallbreaker can take care of Heatran and Empoleon, while Ferrothorn can be weakened by any Fire move such as Hidden Power Fire on Mega Diancie or Sylveon and Fire Blast on Togekiss. Gardevoir's Psychic typing allow it to check Poison-type Pokemon for Clefable to have an easier time setting up. When equipped with a scarf, Its Trace ability also allows it to be a check to Sand Rush Excadrill which is a big threat while sand is up. Gardevoir may also use Trick to cripple Pokemon that Clefable doesn't like, such as Taunt Mew. Choice Specs Sylveon is another great partner as Gliscor with Taunt shuts down Clefable and it's able to take on most Fairy types with it's high special defense.

[SET]
name: Support
name 4: Thunder Wave / Fire Blast

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Moonblast is the strongest Fairy type move Clefable gets. It's STAB, it's consistent and not many Pokemon resist Fairy. Soft-Boiled allows Clefable to restore its HP which is something bulky Pokemon like itself appreciate, and it's very helpful when trying to set up. Stealth Rock is a great support move which applies a lot of pressure in certain match-ups such as against Flying, Bug, Fire and Ice. Fire Blast allows Clefable to hit Steel-types which otherwise wall it. It's especially useful for Mega Scizor which otherwise can set-up for free against Clefable. Unlike Flamethrower, Fire Blast gets the OHKO on Mega Scizor at full HP while Flamethrower needs Mega Scizor to come in on Stealth Rock to get the OHKO. Thunder Wave is an alternative option and it provides great support for the rest of the team allowing it to handle faster Pokemon like Mega Lopunny and Terrakion.

Set Details

========

Maximum HP is to make Clefable as bulky as possible as it needs to be able to take hits to fulfill it's many rolls. 84 SpD EVs with a Calm Nature is used to check Kyurem-B, Mega Manectric, Mega Diancie and Thundurus while the rest of the EVs go in Defense so Clefable can take a Bullet Punch from Choice Band Scizor and take it out with Fire Blast if it's running it. Leftovers allows Clefable to check Pokemon better by restoring a bit of health each turn and increasing its longevity. Its Magic Guard is ability is very helpful for absorbing health crippling status such as burn and poison and avoiding damage from hazards, Leech Seed, weather etc.

Usage Tips
========

Clefable can serve as a defensive pivot as it takes neutral hits pretty easily for the most part, but it can't switch in on very powerful attacks such as Choice Specs Keldeo, Landorus-I, Choice Band Azumarill and other strong wallbreakers as they can all 2HKO Clefable. It can also pivot around on Pokemon that want to spread burns or poison due to it's ability Magic Guard, and those Pokemon are usually easy set-up fodders. Although it's Speed isn't high, letting it get paralyzed should be avoided so it can be more reliable at fulfilling its roles. Clefable can live a Bullet Punch from Choice Band Scizor and take it out with Fire Blast, but to do so its health has to be preserved. It has a good match-up vs most Defog users so Stealth Rock should go up as early as possible to support the rest of the team. Thunder Wave can be used on any Pokemon whether it's faster than you or not because it's always nice to have the chance to fully paralyze the opponent and it helps in beating Pokemon such as +1 Gyarados who would otherwise beat Clefable one on one.

Team Options
========

Klefki's immunity to Poison and neutral from Steel makes it a great partner for Clefable and an important asset to all Fairy-type teams. Its ability to set-up Reflect and Light Screen allow Clefable to take hits even better than it already does. Steel-types that even a Fire Blast Clefable can't touch such as Heatran and Empoleon are big threats to Fairy. Azumarill being a very strong physical wallbreaker can take care of Heatran and Empoleon, while Ferrothorn can be weakened by any Fire move such as Hidden Power Fire on Mega Diancie or Sylveon and Fire Blast on Togekiss if Clefable isn't carrying Fire-type coverage of its own. Gardevoir's Psychic typing allow it to check Poison-type Pokemon for Clefable to have an easier time setting up. Its Trace ability also allows it to be a check to Sand Rush Excadrill which is a big threat while sand is up. It's another Trick user which can take care of Pokemon that Clefable doesn't like. Choice Specs Sylveon is another great partner as Gliscor with Taunt shuts down Clefable and it's able to take on most Fairy types with it's high special defense.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

The Unaware ability can be used to check set-up sweepers such as Mega Gyarados and set-up along with them. It's only recommended to use Unaware if you're running Fire Blast so you can check the biggest threat which is Mega Scizor. Flamethrower is an option on over Fire Blast for better accuracy and more PP. Stealth Rock can be used over Fire Blast or Thunder Wave on the Calm Mind set if unable to fit them anywhere else on the team and you already have something to check Scizor. Ice Beam allows Clefable to hit Gliscor which shuts down Clefable if it has Taunt, however by running Ice Beam you miss out on more important moves. On top of Calm Mind, Cosmic Power can be used to make Clefable an even more dangerous and bulky set-up sweeper that's very hard to deal with for some types. Running Wish can provide great support to the rest of the team thanks to Clefable's high HP stat. Heal Bell is an option on the utility set for getting rid of status that may annoy your team, however Togekiss is the superior option to use this move.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Even if it's carrying Fire coverage it still can't touch Heatran and Empoleon and numerous fast and powerful Steel-type Pokemon and potentially take it out such as Bisharp and Excadrill.

**Fire-types**: Fire-type Pokemon resist Clefable's two standard moves and a lot of Fire-type Pokemon are strong wallbreakers that are able to take on Clefable.

**Poison-types**: Poison-type Pokemon resist Clefable's STAB Moonblast, and powerful Poison-type wallbreakers such as Gengar and Nidoking have no problem taking it out even if it has used Calm Mind a couple of times.

**Taunt users**: Taunt users prevent Clefable from setting up, healing or spreading status therefore forcing it to switch out.

**Chansey**: Chansey's amazing special bulk allow it to reliably check Clefable and eating up its attacks.

**Strong physical attackers**: Clefable is only able to boost it's Special Defense with Calm Mind, leaving it vulnerable to strong physical attackers such as Choice Band
Azumarill.

**Strong special attackers**: Before setting up a Calm Mind, Clefable is quite vulnerable to strong special attackers such as Choice Specs Keldeo and Landorus-I.

**Set-up sweepers**: Certain set-up sweepers such as Gyarados and Mega Scizor can set-up against Clefable if it doesn't have the right move to deal with them.
[SET]

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Nice job! Comments in bold. QC 3/3
Implemented.

It's better for Clefable to Thunder Wave Terrakion and Mega Lopunny first to get Leftovers recovery after doing so. Moonblast doesn't OHKO either of those so it's always safer to go for Thunder Wave first. I included Victini and Mega Pinsir but not Mega Charizard Y. Anything that can deal with Mega Charizard Y already outspeeds it and can 1v1 it such as Mega Diancie and Scarf Togekiss. And the other Pokemon like Sylveon, Clefable and Whimsicott can't beat a paralyzed Zard Y anyway.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
genuine question: does this analysis really warrant two sets? asking cuz the writing for the second set is basically entirely copypasted from the first one--while this is poor form / shows laziness as is, it also implies that the second set doesn't really have anything to set itself apart from the first one. if this is indeed the case, slashing SR on the first set and expanding on UT / TO a bit accomplishes the same thing with less reading / redundancy; if this is not the case (which is what my gut tells me, because an SR setter very much isn't a sweeper, but i cannot tell from the analysis), the writing (especially UT / TO) should be changed to better highlight the second set's different niches. gonna hold off on stamping this till this is sorted out, but currently the writing for the two sets is just way too similar to go onsite.

tagging scpinion so he can bring this up with the others

remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
[OVERVIEW]

The combination of Clefable's decent bulk, a good defensive typing in Fairy which is that leaves it only weak to Steel and Poison, it's its abilities, (AC) and it's its movepool make makes it incredibly versatile and able to fulfill a lot of different roles on the team. Its primary roles on the team can be to check Scizor, get entry hazards up, (AC) and be a win-condition wincon in a lot of match-ups. Clefable has access to two excellent abilities. Magic Guard is very nice for absorbing moves like Toxic, Will'O'Wisp, Will-O-Wisp, and Leech Seed, (AC) etc. and coming in on hazards without taking any damage, (AC) and it can even be used as an offensive tank with negating Life Orb recoil as it Magic Guard prevents the recoil. to let Clefable be used as an offensive tank. Unaware on the other hand lets it check set-up setup sweepers such as Mega Gyarados and Mega Scizor (RC) and stop them from sweeping your team. As previously mentioned, Additionally, (AC) Clefable's wide movepool is wide and there are gives it many options for it. It has access to Stealth Rock, (AC) which not many other Fairy type Pokemon do. It can be a cleric with access to Wish and Heal Bell, it has nice utility options in Encore, Knock Off, (AC) and Thunder Wave, (AC) and it also has very solid coverage in Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, and Moonblast, (AC) and Calm Mind that can turn it into a very dangerous set-up setup sweeper that's not so easy do deal with. It's one of the few Pokemon on Fairy that are able to survive an unboosted Bullet Punch from Mega Scizor and have access to a Fire move in Flamethrower and Fire Blast, (AC) and that makes it a very important asset to Fairy.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Moonblast is the strongest Fairy-type (AH) move Clefable gets. It's It gets STAB, it's consistent, (AC) and not many Pokemon resist Fairy. Calm Mind boosts Clefable's SpA Special Attack and SpD Special Defense, (AC) which makes it very dangerous after it's done so as because it can be very hard to take out. Depending on the match-up, (AC) the game could already be over if Clefable gets to set up (RC) a few Calm Minds. Soft-Boiled allows Clefable to restore its HP, (AC) which is something bulky Pokemon like itself appreciate, and it's very helpful when it's trying to set up. Fire Blast allows Clefable to hit Steel-types, (AC) which otherwise wall it. It's especially useful for Mega Scizor, (AC) which otherwise can set up (RC) for free against Clefable. Unlike Flamethrower, which requires it to come in on Stealth Rock first, Fire Blast gets the OHKO on Mega Scizor at full HP while Flamethrower needs Mega Scizor to come in on Stealth Rock to get the OHKO. Thunder Wave is an alternative option and it that provides great support for the rest of the team, (AC) allowing it to handle faster Pokemon like Mega Lopunny, Terrakion, Victini and Mega Pinsir, and also supports the Calm Mind sweep. Stealth Rock is a great support move which applies a lot of pressure in certain match-ups such as against Flying, Bug, Fire, (AC) and Ice, and Clefable is one of the only Fairy-type Pokemon to get access to Stealth Rock it.

Set Details
========
Maximum HP EVs are used to make Clefable as bulky as possible, (AC) as it needs to be able to take hits to fulfill it's its many rolls roles. Maximum Defense EVs allow Clefable to check physical attackers, (AC) because which it's the go-to Fairy-type Pokemon to do, (AC) so and it also helps it take both physical and special hits on both sides after setting up a Calm Mind. An alternative spread of 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD with a Calm nature gives Clefable a little more Special Defense and allows it to avoid getting 2HKO'd 2HKOed by Mega Diancie's Moonblast (RC) and Mega Manectric's Thunderbolt and Thundurus's Thunderbolt. However, (AC) if that spread is used, strong physical attackers such as Mega Swampert and Mega Garchomp become hard to check or switch in to into, (AC) as they're they'll all be able to 2HKO Clefable. Leftovers allows Clefable to check Pokemon better by restoring a bit of health each turn and increasing its longevity. Its Magic Guard is ability is very helpful for absorbing health crippling status such as burn and poison and avoiding damage from entry hazards, Leech Seed, and weather etc.

Usage Tips
========

Clefable can serve as a defensive pivot, (AC) as it takes neutral hits pretty easily for the most part, but it can't switch in on very powerful attacks attackers such as Choice Specs Keldeo, Landorus-I Landorus, Choice Band Azumarill, (AC) and other strong wallbreakers, (AC) as they can all 2HKO Clefable it. It can also pivot around on into Pokemon that want to spread burns or poison due to it's ability Magic Guard, and those Pokemon are usually easy set-up setup fodders. It can set set up with Calm Mind against Pokemon that aren't able to 2HKO it or aren't threats to it at all such as Rotom-W, Sableye, and non-Taunt Mew without Taunt etc. It should not be used on physical attackers that 2HKO Clefable, (AC) as it's only able to boost it's Special Defense. Before setting up a Calm Mind, (AC) though, Clefable is vulnerable to strong special attacks, (AC) as it's not able to tank them as well as it tanks physical attacks. Calm Mind doesn't always have to be used with the intention to sweep; (SC) it can be useful early-game (AH) for checking special attacking threats and dealing with them more effectively. Although it's its Speed isn't high, letting it get Clefable should avoid getting paralyzed should be avoided so it can be more reliable at fulfilling its roles. Clefable can live survive a Bullet Punch from Choice Band Scizor and take it out with Fire Blast, but to do so its health has to be preserved. Thunder Wave can be used on any Pokemon whether it's faster than you Clefable or not because it's the full paralysis chance is always nice, (AC) to have the chance to fully paralyze the opponent and it helps in beating Pokemon such as +1 Gyarados, (AC) who which would otherwise beat Clefable one-on-one. (AH)

Team Options
========

Klefki's ability to set up (RH) Reflect and Light Screen helps support the Clefable sweep a ton. Dual screens being up combined with Clefable's bulk is gonna allow it to Calm Mind as much as it wants as well as slow down the opponent foe with Thunder Wave and potentially just win the game right there. Pokemon that resist Moonblast that can stop the Clefable sweep, (AC) are obviously Pokemon that resist Moonblast. notably Ferrothorn, Heatran, (AC) and Empoleon, (AC) which are very bulky and even beat a +6 Clefable can't take them on. Azumarill, (AC) being a very strong physical wallbreaker, (AC) can take care of Heatran and Empoleon, while Ferrothorn can be weakened by any Fire move such as Hidden Power Fire on Mega Diancie or Sylveon and o Fire Blast on Togekiss. Gardevoir's Psychic typing allow it to check Poison-type Pokemon for Clefable to have an easier time setting up. When equipped with a Choice Scarf, its Trace ability also allows it to be a check to Sand Rush Excadrill, (AC) which is a big threat while sand is up. Gardevoir may also use Trick to cripple Pokemon that Clefable doesn't like, such as Taunt Mew. Choice Specs Sylveon is another great partner, (AC) as Taunt Gliscor with Taunt shuts down Clefable and it's able to take on most Fairy types with it's its high Special Defense.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Moonblast is the strongest Fairy-type (AH) move Clefable gets. It's gets STAB, it's consistent, (AC) and not many Pokemon resist Fairy. Soft-Boiled allows Clefable to restore its HP, (AC) which is something bulky Pokemon like itself appreciate, and it's very helpful when it's trying to set up. Stealth Rock is a great support move which applies a lot of pressure in certain match-ups such as against Flying, Bug, Fire, (AC) and Ice. Fire Blast allows Clefable to hit Steel-types, (AC) which otherwise wall it. It's especially useful for Mega Scizor which otherwise can set-up for free against Clefable. Unlike Flamethrower, which requires it to switch in on Stealth Rock first, (AC) Fire Blast gets the OHKO on Mega Scizor at full HP while Flamethrower needs Mega Scizor to come in on Stealth Rock to get the OHKO. Thunder Wave is an alternative option and it that provides great support for the rest of the team by allowing it to handle faster Pokemon like Mega Lopunny and Terrakion.

Set Details

========

Maximum HP is used to make Clefable as bulky as possible, (AC) as it needs to be able to take hits to fulfill it's its many rolls roles. 84 SpD Special Defense EVs with a Calm Nature is are used to check Kyurem-B, Mega Manectric, Mega Diancie, (AC) and Thundurus, (AC) while the rest of the EVs go in Defense so Clefable can take a Bullet Punch from Choice Band Scizor and take it out with Fire Blast if it's running it. Leftovers allows Clefable to check Pokemon better by restoring a bit of health each turn and increasing its longevity. Its Magic Guard is ability is very helpful for absorbing health crippling status such as burn and poison and avoiding damage from entry hazards, Leech Seed, and weather etc.

Usage Tips
========

Clefable can serve as a defensive pivot, (AC) as it takes neutral hits pretty easily for the most part, but it can't switch in on very powerful attacks attackers such as Choice Specs Keldeo, Landorus-I, Choice Band Azumarill, (AC) and other strong wallbreakers, (AC) as they can all 2HKO Clefable. It can also pivot around on into Pokemon that want to spread burns or poison due to it's ability Magic Guard, and those Pokemon are usually easy set-up setup fodders. (no CM on this set) Although it's Speed isn't high, letting it get Clefable should avoid getting paralyzed should be avoided so it can be more reliable at fulfilling its roles. Clefable can live survive a Bullet Punch from Choice Band Scizor and take it out with Fire Blast, but to do so its health has to be preserved. It has a good match-up vs versus most Defog users, (AC) so Stealth Rock should go up as early as possible to support the rest of the team. Thunder Wave can be used on any Pokemon whether it's faster than you Clefable or not because it's the full paralysis chance is always nice to have the chance to fully paralyze the opponent and it helps in beating Pokemon such as +1 Gyarados, (AC) who which would otherwise beat Clefable one on one.

Team Options
========

Klefki's immunity to Poison and neutral from Steel makes it a great partner for Clefable and an important asset to all Fairy-type teams. Its ability to set up (RH) Reflect and Light Screen allow allows Clefable to take hits even better than it already does. Steel-types that even a Fire Blast Clefable can't touch such as Heatran and Empoleon are big threats to Fairy. Azumarill, (AC) being a very strong physical wallbreaker, (AC) can take care of Heatran and Empoleon those two, while Ferrothorn can be weakened by any Fire move such as Hidden Power Fire on Mega Diancie or Sylveon and or Fire Blast on Togekiss if Clefable isn't carrying Fire-type coverage of its own. Gardevoir's Psychic typing allow allows it to check Poison-type Pokemon for Clefable to have an easier time setting up. (setting up what?) When equipped with(space)a Choice Scarf, its Trace ability also allows it to be a check to Sand Rush Excadrill, (AC) which is a big threat while sand is up. Gardevoir may also use Trick to cripple Pokemon that Clefable doesn't like, such as Taunt Mew. Choice Specs Sylveon is another great partner, (AC) as Gliscor with Taunt shuts down Clefable and it's is able to take on most Fairy types with it's its high Special Defense.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

The Unaware ability can be used to check set-up setup sweepers such as Mega Gyarados and set up (RH) alongside with them. It's only recommended to use Unaware if you're running Fire Blast so you Clefable can check Mega Scizor, (AC) the biggest threat to Fairy which is Mega Scizor. Flamethrower is an option on over Fire Blast for better accuracy and more PP. Stealth Rock can be used over Fire Blast or Thunder Wave on the Calm Mind set if you're unable to fit them it anywhere else on the team and you already have something to check Scizor. Ice Beam allows Clefable to hit Gliscor, (AC) which shuts down Clefable if it has Taunt; (SC) however, (AC) by running Ice Beam you miss out on more important moves. On top of Calm Mind, Cosmic Power can be used to make Clefable an even more dangerous and bulky set-up setup sweeper that's very hard to deal with for some types. Running Wish can provide great support to the rest of the team thanks to Clefable's high HP stat. Heal Bell is an option on the utility set for getting rid of status that may annoy your team; (SC) however, (AC) Togekiss is the superior option to use this move.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Even if it's carrying Fire coverage, (comma) it Clefable still can't touch Heatran and Empoleon, (AC) and numerous fast and powerful Steel-type Pokemon and can potentially take it out such as Bisharp and Excadrill.

**Fire-types**: Fire-type Pokemon resist Clefable's two standard moves, (AC) and a lot of Fire-type Pokemon are strong wallbreakers that are able to take on Clefable.

**Taunt Users**: Taunt users prevent Clefable from setting up, healing, (AC) or spreading status, (AC) therefore forcing it to switch out.

**Chansey**: Chansey's amazing special bulk allow allows it to reliably check Clefable and eating up its attacks.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Clefable is only able to boost it's its Special Defense with Calm Mind, leaving it vulnerable to strong physical attackers such as Choice Band Azumarill.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Before setting up a Calm Mind, Clefable is quite vulnerable to strong special attackers such as Choice Specs Keldeo and Landorus-I.

**Set-up Setup Sweepers**: Certain set-up setup sweepers such as Gyarados and Mega Scizor can set up (RH) against Clefable if it doesn't have the right move to deal with them.

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
I did originally include one set but after getting QC's a second set was recommended. There's really nothing more to say about the stuff that's the same which is why I c/p'd. I asked scpinion if that's fine and he approved.

scpinion

genuine question: does this analysis really warrant two sets? asking cuz the writing for the second set is basically entirely copypasted from the first one--while this is poor form / shows laziness as is, it also implies that the second set doesn't really have anything to set itself apart from the first one. if this is indeed the case, slashing SR on the first set and expanding on UT / TO a bit accomplishes the same thing with less reading / redundancy; if this is not the case (which is what my gut tells me, because an SR setter very much isn't a sweeper, but i cannot tell from the analysis), the writing (especially UT / TO) should be changed to better highlight the second set's different niches. gonna hold off on stamping this till this is sorted out, but currently the writing for the two sets is just way too similar to go onsite.

[OVERVIEW]

The combination of Clefable's decent bulk, a good defensive typing in Fairy which is that leaves it only weak to Steel and Poison, it's its abilities, (AC) and it's its movepool make makes it incredibly versatile and able to fulfill a lot of different roles on the team. Its primary roles on the team can be to check Scizor, get entry hazards up, (AC) and be a win-condition wincon in a lot of match-ups. Clefable has access to two excellent abilities. Magic Guard is very nice for absorbing moves like Toxic, Will'O'Wisp, Will-O-Wisp, and Leech Seed, (AC) etc. and coming in on hazards without taking any damage, (AC) and it can even be used as an offensive tank with negating Life Orb recoil as it Magic Guard prevents the recoil. to let Clefable be used as an offensive tank. Unaware on the other hand lets it check set-up setup sweepers such as Mega Gyarados and Mega Scizor (RC) and stop them from sweeping your team. As previously mentioned, Additionally, (AC) Clefable's wide movepool is wide and there are gives it many options for it. It has access to Stealth Rock, (AC) which not many other Fairy type Pokemon do. It can be a cleric with access to Wish and Heal Bell, it has nice utility options in Encore, Knock Off, (AC) and Thunder Wave, (AC) and it also has very solid coverage in Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, and Moonblast, (AC) and Calm Mind that can turn it into a very dangerous set-up setup sweeper that's not so easy do deal with. It's one of the few Pokemon on Fairy that are able to survive an unboosted Bullet Punch from Mega Scizor and have access to a Fire move in Flamethrower and Fire Blast, (AC) and that makes it a very important asset to Fairy.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Moonblast is the strongest Fairy-type (AH) move Clefable gets. It's It gets STAB, it's consistent, (AC) and not many Pokemon resist Fairy. Calm Mind boosts Clefable's SpA Special Attack and SpD Special Defense, (AC) which makes it very dangerous after it's done so as because it can be very hard to take out. Depending on the match-up, (AC) the game could already be over if Clefable gets to set up (RC) a few Calm Minds. Soft-Boiled allows Clefable to restore its HP, (AC) which is something bulky Pokemon like itself appreciate, and it's very helpful when it's trying to set up. Fire Blast allows Clefable to hit Steel-types, (AC) which otherwise wall it. It's especially useful for Mega Scizor, (AC) which otherwise can set up (RC) for free against Clefable. Unlike Flamethrower, which requires it to come in on Stealth Rock first, Fire Blast gets the OHKO on Mega Scizor at full HP while Flamethrower needs Mega Scizor to come in on Stealth Rock to get the OHKO. Thunder Wave is an alternative option and it that provides great support for the rest of the team, (AC) allowing it to handle faster Pokemon like Mega Lopunny, Terrakion, Victini and Mega Pinsir, and also supports the Calm Mind sweep. Stealth Rock is a great support move which applies a lot of pressure in certain match-ups such as against Flying, Bug, Fire, (AC) and Ice, and Clefable is one of the only Fairy-type Pokemon to get access to Stealth Rock it.

Set Details
========
Maximum HP EVs are used to make Clefable as bulky as possible, (AC) as it needs to be able to take hits to fulfill it's its many rolls roles. Maximum Defense EVs allow Clefable to check physical attackers, (AC) because which it's the go-to Fairy-type Pokemon to do, (AC) so and it also helps it take both physical and special hits on both sides after setting up a Calm Mind. An alternative spread of 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD with a Calm nature gives Clefable a little more Special Defense and allows it to avoid getting 2HKO'd 2HKOed by Mega Diancie's Moonblast (RC) and Mega Manectric's Thunderbolt and Thundurus's Thunderbolt. However, (AC) if that spread is used, strong physical attackers such as Mega Swampert and Mega Garchomp become hard to check or switch in to into, (AC) as they're they'll all be able to 2HKO Clefable. Leftovers allows Clefable to check Pokemon better by restoring a bit of health each turn and increasing its longevity. Its Magic Guard is ability is very helpful for absorbing health crippling status such as burn and poison and avoiding damage from entry hazards, Leech Seed, and weather etc.

Usage Tips
========

Clefable can serve as a defensive pivot, (AC) as it takes neutral hits pretty easily for the most part, but it can't switch in on very powerful attacks attackers such as Choice Specs Keldeo, Landorus-I Landorus, Choice Band Azumarill, (AC) and other strong wallbreakers, (AC) as they can all 2HKO Clefable it. It can also pivot around on into Pokemon that want to spread burns or poison due to it's ability Magic Guard, and those Pokemon are usually easy set-up setup fodders. It can set set up with Calm Mind against Pokemon that aren't able to 2HKO it or aren't threats to it at all such as Rotom-W, Sableye, and non-Taunt Mew without Taunt etc. It should not be used on physical attackers that 2HKO Clefable, (AC) as it's only able to boost it's Special Defense. Before setting up a Calm Mind, (AC) though, Clefable is vulnerable to strong special attacks, (AC) as it's not able to tank them as well as it tanks physical attacks. Calm Mind doesn't always have to be used with the intention to sweep; (SC) it can be useful early-game (AH) for checking special attacking threats and dealing with them more effectively. Although it's its Speed isn't high, letting it get Clefable should avoid getting paralyzed should be avoided so it can be more reliable at fulfilling its roles. Clefable can live survive a Bullet Punch from Choice Band Scizor and take it out with Fire Blast, but to do so its health has to be preserved. Thunder Wave can be used on any Pokemon whether it's faster than you Clefable or not because it's the full paralysis chance is always nice, (AC) to have the chance to fully paralyze the opponent and it helps in beating Pokemon such as +1 Gyarados, (AC) who which would otherwise beat Clefable one-on-one. (AH)

Team Options
========

Klefki's ability to set up (RH) Reflect and Light Screen helps support the Clefable sweep a ton. Dual screens being up combined with Clefable's bulk is gonna allow it to Calm Mind as much as it wants as well as slow down the opponent foe with Thunder Wave and potentially just win the game right there. Pokemon that resist Moonblast that can stop the Clefable sweep, (AC) are obviously Pokemon that resist Moonblast. notably Ferrothorn, Heatran, (AC) and Empoleon, (AC) which are very bulky and even beat a +6 Clefable can't take them on. Azumarill, (AC) being a very strong physical wallbreaker, (AC) can take care of Heatran and Empoleon, while Ferrothorn can be weakened by any Fire move such as Hidden Power Fire on Mega Diancie or Sylveon and o Fire Blast on Togekiss. Gardevoir's Psychic typing allow it to check Poison-type Pokemon for Clefable to have an easier time setting up. When equipped with a Choice Scarf, its Trace ability also allows it to be a check to Sand Rush Excadrill, (AC) which is a big threat while sand is up. Gardevoir may also use Trick to cripple Pokemon that Clefable doesn't like, such as Taunt Mew. Choice Specs Sylveon is another great partner, (AC) as Taunt Gliscor with Taunt shuts down Clefable and it's able to take on most Fairy types with it's its high Special Defense.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Moonblast is the strongest Fairy-type (AH) move Clefable gets. It's gets STAB, it's consistent, (AC) and not many Pokemon resist Fairy. Soft-Boiled allows Clefable to restore its HP, (AC) which is something bulky Pokemon like itself appreciate, and it's very helpful when it's trying to set up. Stealth Rock is a great support move which applies a lot of pressure in certain match-ups such as against Flying, Bug, Fire, (AC) and Ice. Fire Blast allows Clefable to hit Steel-types, (AC) which otherwise wall it. It's especially useful for Mega Scizor which otherwise can set-up for free against Clefable. Unlike Flamethrower, which requires it to switch in on Stealth Rock first, (AC) Fire Blast gets the OHKO on Mega Scizor at full HP while Flamethrower needs Mega Scizor to come in on Stealth Rock to get the OHKO. Thunder Wave is an alternative option and it that provides great support for the rest of the team by allowing it to handle faster Pokemon like Mega Lopunny and Terrakion.

Set Details

========

Maximum HP is used to make Clefable as bulky as possible, (AC) as it needs to be able to take hits to fulfill it's its many rolls roles. 84 SpD Special Defense EVs with a Calm Nature is are used to check Kyurem-B, Mega Manectric, Mega Diancie, (AC) and Thundurus, (AC) while the rest of the EVs go in Defense so Clefable can take a Bullet Punch from Choice Band Scizor and take it out with Fire Blast if it's running it. Leftovers allows Clefable to check Pokemon better by restoring a bit of health each turn and increasing its longevity. Its Magic Guard is ability is very helpful for absorbing health crippling status such as burn and poison and avoiding damage from entry hazards, Leech Seed, and weather etc.

Usage Tips
========

Clefable can serve as a defensive pivot, (AC) as it takes neutral hits pretty easily for the most part, but it can't switch in on very powerful attacks attackers such as Choice Specs Keldeo, Landorus-I, Choice Band Azumarill, (AC) and other strong wallbreakers, (AC) as they can all 2HKO Clefable. It can also pivot around on into Pokemon that want to spread burns or poison due to it's ability Magic Guard, and those Pokemon are usually easy set-up setup fodders. (no CM on this set) Although it's Speed isn't high, letting it get Clefable should avoid getting paralyzed should be avoided so it can be more reliable at fulfilling its roles. Clefable can live survive a Bullet Punch from Choice Band Scizor and take it out with Fire Blast, but to do so its health has to be preserved. It has a good match-up vs versus most Defog users, (AC) so Stealth Rock should go up as early as possible to support the rest of the team. Thunder Wave can be used on any Pokemon whether it's faster than you Clefable or not because it's the full paralysis chance is always nice to have the chance to fully paralyze the opponent and it helps in beating Pokemon such as +1 Gyarados, (AC) who which would otherwise beat Clefable one on one.

Team Options
========

Klefki's immunity to Poison and neutral from Steel makes it a great partner for Clefable and an important asset to all Fairy-type teams. Its ability to set up (RH) Reflect and Light Screen allow allows Clefable to take hits even better than it already does. Steel-types that even a Fire Blast Clefable can't touch such as Heatran and Empoleon are big threats to Fairy. Azumarill, (AC) being a very strong physical wallbreaker, (AC) can take care of Heatran and Empoleon those two, while Ferrothorn can be weakened by any Fire move such as Hidden Power Fire on Mega Diancie or Sylveon and or Fire Blast on Togekiss if Clefable isn't carrying Fire-type coverage of its own. Gardevoir's Psychic typing allow allows it to check Poison-type Pokemon for Clefable to have an easier time setting up. (setting up what?) When equipped with(space)a Choice Scarf, its Trace ability also allows it to be a check to Sand Rush Excadrill, (AC) which is a big threat while sand is up. Gardevoir may also use Trick to cripple Pokemon that Clefable doesn't like, such as Taunt Mew. Choice Specs Sylveon is another great partner, (AC) as Gliscor with Taunt shuts down Clefable and it's is able to take on most Fairy types with it's its high Special Defense.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

The Unaware ability can be used to check set-up setup sweepers such as Mega Gyarados and set up (RH) alongside with them. It's only recommended to use Unaware if you're running Fire Blast so you Clefable can check Mega Scizor, (AC) the biggest threat to Fairy which is Mega Scizor. Flamethrower is an option on over Fire Blast for better accuracy and more PP. Stealth Rock can be used over Fire Blast or Thunder Wave on the Calm Mind set if you're unable to fit them it anywhere else on the team and you already have something to check Scizor. Ice Beam allows Clefable to hit Gliscor, (AC) which shuts down Clefable if it has Taunt; (SC) however, (AC) by running Ice Beam you miss out on more important moves. On top of Calm Mind, Cosmic Power can be used to make Clefable an even more dangerous and bulky set-up setup sweeper that's very hard to deal with for some types. Running Wish can provide great support to the rest of the team thanks to Clefable's high HP stat. Heal Bell is an option on the utility set for getting rid of status that may annoy your team; (SC) however, (AC) Togekiss is the superior option to use this move.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Even if it's carrying Fire coverage, (comma) it Clefable still can't touch Heatran and Empoleon, (AC) and numerous fast and powerful Steel-type Pokemon and can potentially take it out such as Bisharp and Excadrill.

**Fire-types**: Fire-type Pokemon resist Clefable's two standard moves, (AC) and a lot of Fire-type Pokemon are strong wallbreakers that are able to take on Clefable.

**Taunt Users**: Taunt users prevent Clefable from setting up, healing, (AC) or spreading status, (AC) therefore forcing it to switch out.

**Chansey**: Chansey's amazing special bulk allow allows it to reliably check Clefable and eating up its attacks.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Clefable is only able to boost it's its Special Defense with Calm Mind, leaving it vulnerable to strong physical attackers such as Choice Band Azumarill.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Before setting up a Calm Mind, Clefable is quite vulnerable to strong special attackers such as Choice Specs Keldeo and Landorus-I.

**Set-up Setup Sweepers**: Certain set-up setup sweepers such as Gyarados and Mega Scizor can set up (RH) against Clefable if it doesn't have the right move to deal with them.
The Dutch Plumberjack, the big problem with this is people typically try to compress as many roles into Clef as possible on Fairy teams. Thus, most sets end up as an amalgamation of the sweeper and support sets (depending on what the team needs). Here, this manifested itself as two analyses that were very similar. Thanks for helping us out.

Confluxx, the QC discussed this and this is what we decided.

– rewrite/reword the Usage Tips and Team Options to emphasize the different roles each set plays. Focus on sweeping with the 1st one and support with the 2nd.
- for the 2nd set make sure you emphasize how that EV spread makes clef a generally useful switch in. Among other things, it can switch in on most electric types (fairy lacks a good resist) and Kyu-B. I think you and Eien talked about this stuff in pm's, but just pm us for more details/examples.​
– Mention how good clef is at compressing roles in the introduction.
– Begin the Other Options paragraph by saying CM sets with SR over Twave/Fire Blast are viable for teams want the role compression.

On the 2nd set:
– slash Unaware (it can check +2 Mega-Scizor when using Fire Blast)
– rename it to Utility or Stealth Rock Setter

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.

[OVERVIEW]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Set Details

========

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Checks and Counters
===================

The Dutch Plumberjack, the big problem with this is people typically try to compress as many roles into Clef as possible on Fairy teams. Thus, most sets end up as an amalgamation of the sweeper and support sets (depending on what the team needs). Here, this manifested itself as two analyses that were very similar. Thanks for helping us out.

Confluxx, the QC discussed this and this is what we decided.

– rewrite/reword the Usage Tips and Team Options to emphasize the different roles each set plays. Focus on sweeping with the 1st one and support with the 2nd.
- for the 2nd set make sure you emphasize how that EV spread makes clef a generally useful switch in. Among other things, it can switch in on most electric types (fairy lacks a good resist) and Kyu-B. I think you and Eien talked about this stuff in pm's, but just pm us for more details/examples.​
– Mention how good clef is at compressing roles in the introduction.
– Begin the Other Options paragraph by saying CM sets with SR over Twave/Fire Blast are viable for teams want the role compression.

On the 2nd set:
– slash Unaware (it can check +2 Mega-Scizor when using Fire Blast)
– rename it to Utility or Stealth Rock Setter
Implemented both of these, thanks!

tdp edit: ill quickly go over again this in a bit to check the edits, so it's not at 1/2 yet

Last edited by a moderator:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Confluxx i gave the sections you changed another quick once-over, so after you implement this you can consider it 1/2. while identifying your changes i also noticed that you missed some changes from my main check, so the easiest and most foolproof way to implement checks is click reply -> delete reds -> address comments -> deformat the blues using the Tx button in the upper left corner -> copypaste the finished thing into the OP

[OVERVIEW]

The combination of Clefable's decent bulk, a good defensive typing in Fairy that leaves it only weak to Steel and Poison, its abilities, and its movepool makes it incredibly versatile and able to fulfill a lot of different roles on the team. Clefable is great at compressing many roles due to its vast movepool and good bulk backed by two great abilities. Its primary roles on the team can be to check Scizor, get entry hazards up, and be a wincon in a lot of match-ups. It's Its two primary abilities are Magic Guard and Unaware. Magic Guard is very nice for absorbing moves like Toxic, Will-O-Wisp, and Leech Seed, coming in on hazards without taking any damage, and even negating Life Orb recoil to let Clefable be used as an offensive tank. Unaware on the other hand lets it check setup sweepers such as Mega Gyarados and Mega Scizor and stop them from sweeping your team. Additionally, Clefable's wide movepool gives it many options. It has access to Stealth Rock, which not many other Fairy type Pokemon do. It can be a cleric with access to Wish and Heal Bell, it has nice utility options in Encore, Knock Off, and Thunder Wave, it has very solid coverage in Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, (AC) and Moonblast, and Calm Mind can turn it into a very dangerous setup sweeper that's not easy do deal with. It's one of the few Pokemon on Fairy that are able to survive an unboosted Bullet Punch from Mega Scizor and have access to a Fire move in Flamethrower and Fire Blast, and that makes it a very important asset to Fairy.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Moonblast is the strongest Fairy-type move Clefable gets. It gets STAB, it's consistent, and not many Pokemon resist Fairy. Calm Mind boosts Clefable's Special Attack and Special Defense, which makes it very dangerous because it can be very hard to take out. Depending on the match-up, the game could already be over if Clefable gets to set up a few Calm Minds. Soft-Boiled allows Clefable to restore its HP, (AC) which is very helpful when it's trying to set up. Fire Blast allows Clefable to hit Steel-types, which otherwise wall it. It's especially useful for Mega Scizor, (AC) which otherwise can set up for free against Clefable. Unlike Flamethrower, which requires it to come in on Stealth Rock first, Fire Blast gets the OHKO on Mega Scizor at full HP. Thunder Wave is an alternative option that provides great support for the rest of the team, allowing it to handle faster Pokemon like Mega Lopunny, Terrakion, Victini and Mega Pinsir, and also supports the Calm Mind sweep. Stealth Rock applies a lot of pressure in certain match-ups such as against Flying, Bug, Fire, and Ice, and Clefable is one of the only Fairy-type Pokemon to get access to it.

Set Details
========
Maximum HP EVs are used to make Clefable as bulky as possible, as it needs to be able to take hits to fulfill its many roles. Maximum Defense EVs allow Clefable to check physical attackers, which it's the go-to Fairy-type Pokemon to do, and it also helps it take both physical and special hits after setting up a Calm Mind. An alternative spread of 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD with a Calm nature gives Clefable a little more Special Defense and allows it to avoid getting 2HKOed by Mega Diancie's Moonblast and Mega Manectric's and Thundurus's Thunderbolt. However, if that spread is used, strong physical attackers such as Mega Swampert and Mega Garchomp become hard to check or switch into, as they'll all be able to 2HKO Clefable. Leftovers allows Clefable to check Pokemon better by restoring a bit of health each turn and increasing its longevity. Magic Guard is very helpful for absorbing crippling status such as burn and poison and avoiding damage from entry hazards, Leech Seed, (AC) and weather.

Usage Tips
========

Clefable can serve as a defensive pivot, as it takes neutral hits pretty easily for the most part, but it can't switch in on very powerful attackers such as Choice Specs Keldeo, Landorus, Choice Band Azumarill, and other strong wallbreakers, as they can all 2HKO it. It can also pivot into Pokemon that want to spread burns or poison due to Magic Guard, and those Pokemon are usually easy setup fodder. It can set set up with Calm Mind against Pokemon that aren't able to 2HKO it or aren't threats to it at all such as Rotom-W, Sableye, (AC) and non-Taunt Mew. It should not be used on physical attackers that 2HKO Clefable, as it's only able to boost it's Special Defense. Before setting up a Calm Mind, though, Clefable is vulnerable to strong special attacks, as it's not able to tank them as well as it tanks physical attacks. Calm Mind doesn't always have to be used with the intention to sweep; it can be useful early-game for checking special attacking threats and dealing with them more effectively. Although its Speed isn't high, Clefable should avoid getting paralyzed so it can be more reliable at fulfilling its roles. Clefable can survive a Bullet Punch from Choice Band Scizor and take it out with Fire Blast, but to do so its health has to be preserved. Thunder Wave can be used on any Pokemon whether it's faster than Clefable or not because the full paralysis chance is always nice, and it helps in beating Pokemon such as +1 Gyarados, which would otherwise beat Clefable one-on-one.

Team Options
========

Klefki's ability to set up Reflect and Light Screen helps support the Clefable sweep a ton. Dual screens combined with Clefable's bulk allow it to Calm Mind as much as it wants as well as slow down the foe with Thunder Wave and potentially just win the game right there. Pokemon that resist Moonblast can stop the Clefable sweep, notably Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Empoleon, which are very bulky and can even beat a +6 Clefable. Azumarill, being a very strong physical wallbreaker, can take care of Heatran and Empoleon, while Ferrothorn can be weakened by any Fire move such as Hidden Power Fire on Mega Diancie and Sylveon or Fire Blast on Togekiss. Gardevoir's Psychic typing allow it to check Poison-type Pokemon for Clefable to have an easier time setting up. When equipped with a Choice Scarf, its Trace ability also allows it to be a check to Sand Rush Excadrill, which is a big threat while sand is up. Gardevoir may also use Trick to cripple Pokemon that Clefable doesn't like, such as Taunt Mew. Choice Specs Sylveon is another great partner to deal with Taunt Gliscor, which shuts down Clefable.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Moonblast is a strong and consistent Fairy-type attack and is Clefable's best STAB option. Soft-Boiled allows Clefable to replenish its health. Stealth Rock applies a lot of pressure in certain match-ups such as against Flying, Bug, Fire, (AC) and Ice. Fire Blast lets Clefable hit Steel-types, which otherwise wall it. It's especially useful for Mega Scizor which otherwise can set-up for free against Clefable. Unlike Flamethrower, which requires it to switch in on Stealth Rock first, Fire Blast gets the OHKO on Mega Scizor at full HP. Thunder Wave is an alternative option that provides great support for the rest of the team by allowing it to handle faster Pokemon like Mega Lopunny and Terrakion.

Set Details

========

Maximum HP is used to make Clefable as bulky as possible, (AC) as it needs to be able to take hits to fulfill its many rolls roles. 84 Special Defense EVs with a Calm Nature are used to check Kyurem-B, Mega Manectric, Mega Diancie, and Thundurus, while the rest of the EVs go in Defense so Clefable can take a Bullet Punch from Choice Band Scizor and take it out with Fire Blast if it's running it. Leftovers allows Clefable to check Pokemon better by restoring a bit of health each turn and increasing its longevity. Its Magic Guard is ability is very helpful for absorbing crippling status such as burn and poison and avoiding damage from entry hazards, Leech Seed, (AC) and weather. Unaware lets Clefable check +2 Mega Scizor and take it out with Fire Blast.

Usage Tips
========

Clefable is a great defensive pivot, as it takes neutral hits pretty well, but it cannot switch in on very powerful wallbreakers such as Mega Gardevoir, Mega Charizard Y, and Volcanion, because it's going to get 2HKOed. The given EV spread allows it to switch in on most Electric-types and Kyurem-B, which covers thus covering the lack of good Electric switchins on Fairy. It can pivot into Pokemon that want to spread crippling status (RC) if it's running the Magic Guard ability. If Unaware is the chosen ability choice, Clefable can check +2 Mega Scizor, but it still needs to be kept healthy, as it's not able to switch in on a Bullet Punch. It has a good match-up vs against most Defog users, so Stealth Rock should go up as early as possible to support the rest of the team. Thunder Wave can be used on any Pokemon foe (clarity) to cripple them, but it's especially useful against setup sweepers if not running Unaware.

Team Options
========

Klefki's immunity to Poison and neutrality to Steel makes make it a great partner for Clefable. Steel-types that annoy Clefable (RC) such as Heatran and Empoleon are big threats to Fairy. Azumarill is a very strong physical wallbreaker (RC) that has the ability to deal with both of those two. Pokemon with Fire-type coverage such as Togekiss and Mega Diancie are good partners for dealing with Steel-types that threaten Clefable. Gardevoir checks Poison-type Pokemon that Clefable can't do much against. When it's equipped with a Choice Scarf, its Trace ability also allows it to be a check to Sand Rush Excadrill, which is a big threat while sand is up. Gardevoir can also use Trick to cripple Pokemon that Clefable doesn't like facing, such as Mew and Gliscor. Choice Specs Sylveon is a very strong wallbreaker that's able to 2HKO Gliscor.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Using Stealth Rock over Thunder Wave or Fire Blast on the Calm Mind set is a viable option for teams that want the role compression. Unaware can be used to check setup sweepers such as Mega Gyarados and set up alongside them. It's only recommended to use Unaware if you're running Fire Blast so Clefable can check (RC) Mega Scizor, the biggest threat to Fairy. Flamethrower is an option over Fire Blast for better accuracy and more PP. Stealth Rock can be used over Fire Blast or Thunder Wave on the Calm Mind set if you're unable to fit it anywhere else on the team and you already have something to check Scizor. Ice Beam allows Clefable to hit Gliscor, which shuts down Clefable if it has Taunt; however, by running Ice Beam you miss out on more important moves. On top of Calm Mind, Cosmic Power can be used to make Clefable an even more dangerous and bulky setup sweeper that's very hard to deal with for some types. Wish can provide great support to the rest of the team thanks to Clefable's high HP stat. Heal Bell is an option on the utility set for getting rid of status that may annoy your team; however, Togekiss is the superior option to use this move.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Even if it's carrying Fire coverage, Clefable still can't touch Heatran and Empoleon, and numerous fast and powerful Steel-type Pokemon can potentially take it out such as Bisharp and Excadrill.

**Fire-types**: Fire-type Pokemon resist Clefable's two standard moves, and a lot of Fire-type Pokemon are strong wallbreakers that are able to take on Clefable.

**Taunt Users**: Taunt users prevent Clefable from setting up, healing, or spreading status, therefore forcing it to switch out.

**Chansey**: Chansey's amazing special bulk allows it to reliably check Clefable and eat up its attacks.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Clefable is only able to boost its Special Defense with Calm Mind, leaving it vulnerable to strong physical attackers such as Choice Band Azumarill.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Before setting up a Calm Mind, Clefable is quite vulnerable to strong special attackers such as Choice Specs Keldeo and Sludge Wave Landorus if it has Sludge Wave.

**Setup Sweepers**: Certain setup sweepers such as Gyarados and Mega Scizor can set up against Clefable if it doesn't have the right move to deal with them.

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Confluxx i gave the sections you changed another quick once-over, so after you implement this you can consider it 1/2. while identifying your changes i also noticed that you missed some changes from my main check, so the easiest and most foolproof way to implement checks is click reply -> delete reds -> address comments -> deformat the blues using the Tx button in the upper left corner -> copypaste the finished thing into the OP

[OVERVIEW]

The combination of Clefable's decent bulk, a good defensive typing in Fairy that leaves it only weak to Steel and Poison, its abilities, and its movepool makes it incredibly versatile and able to fulfill a lot of different roles on the team. Clefable is great at compressing many roles due to its vast movepool and good bulk backed by two great abilities. Its primary roles on the team can be to check Scizor, get entry hazards up, and be a wincon in a lot of match-ups. It's Its two primary abilities are Magic Guard and Unaware. Magic Guard is very nice for absorbing moves like Toxic, Will-O-Wisp, and Leech Seed, coming in on hazards without taking any damage, and even negating Life Orb recoil to let Clefable be used as an offensive tank. Unaware on the other hand lets it check setup sweepers such as Mega Gyarados and Mega Scizor and stop them from sweeping your team. Additionally, Clefable's wide movepool gives it many options. It has access to Stealth Rock, which not many other Fairy type Pokemon do. It can be a cleric with access to Wish and Heal Bell, it has nice utility options in Encore, Knock Off, and Thunder Wave, it has very solid coverage in Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, (AC) and Moonblast, and Calm Mind can turn it into a very dangerous setup sweeper that's not easy do deal with. It's one of the few Pokemon on Fairy that are able to survive an unboosted Bullet Punch from Mega Scizor and have access to a Fire move in Flamethrower and Fire Blast, and that makes it a very important asset to Fairy.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Moonblast is the strongest Fairy-type move Clefable gets. It gets STAB, it's consistent, and not many Pokemon resist Fairy. Calm Mind boosts Clefable's Special Attack and Special Defense, which makes it very dangerous because it can be very hard to take out. Depending on the match-up, the game could already be over if Clefable gets to set up a few Calm Minds. Soft-Boiled allows Clefable to restore its HP, (AC) which is very helpful when it's trying to set up. Fire Blast allows Clefable to hit Steel-types, which otherwise wall it. It's especially useful for Mega Scizor, (AC) which otherwise can set up for free against Clefable. Unlike Flamethrower, which requires it to come in on Stealth Rock first, Fire Blast gets the OHKO on Mega Scizor at full HP. Thunder Wave is an alternative option that provides great support for the rest of the team, allowing it to handle faster Pokemon like Mega Lopunny, Terrakion, Victini and Mega Pinsir, and also supports the Calm Mind sweep. Stealth Rock applies a lot of pressure in certain match-ups such as against Flying, Bug, Fire, and Ice, and Clefable is one of the only Fairy-type Pokemon to get access to it.

Set Details
========
Maximum HP EVs are used to make Clefable as bulky as possible, as it needs to be able to take hits to fulfill its many roles. Maximum Defense EVs allow Clefable to check physical attackers, which it's the go-to Fairy-type Pokemon to do, and it also helps it take both physical and special hits after setting up a Calm Mind. An alternative spread of 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD with a Calm nature gives Clefable a little more Special Defense and allows it to avoid getting 2HKOed by Mega Diancie's Moonblast and Mega Manectric's and Thundurus's Thunderbolt. However, if that spread is used, strong physical attackers such as Mega Swampert and Mega Garchomp become hard to check or switch into, as they'll all be able to 2HKO Clefable. Leftovers allows Clefable to check Pokemon better by restoring a bit of health each turn and increasing its longevity. Magic Guard is very helpful for absorbing crippling status such as burn and poison and avoiding damage from entry hazards, Leech Seed, (AC) and weather.

Usage Tips
========

Clefable can serve as a defensive pivot, as it takes neutral hits pretty easily for the most part, but it can't switch in on very powerful attackers such as Choice Specs Keldeo, Landorus, Choice Band Azumarill, and other strong wallbreakers, as they can all 2HKO it. It can also pivot into Pokemon that want to spread burns or poison due to Magic Guard, and those Pokemon are usually easy setup fodder. It can set set up with Calm Mind against Pokemon that aren't able to 2HKO it or aren't threats to it at all such as Rotom-W, Sableye, (AC) and non-Taunt Mew. It should not be used on physical attackers that 2HKO Clefable, as it's only able to boost it's Special Defense. Before setting up a Calm Mind, though, Clefable is vulnerable to strong special attacks, as it's not able to tank them as well as it tanks physical attacks. Calm Mind doesn't always have to be used with the intention to sweep; it can be useful early-game for checking special attacking threats and dealing with them more effectively. Although its Speed isn't high, Clefable should avoid getting paralyzed so it can be more reliable at fulfilling its roles. Clefable can survive a Bullet Punch from Choice Band Scizor and take it out with Fire Blast, but to do so its health has to be preserved. Thunder Wave can be used on any Pokemon whether it's faster than Clefable or not because the full paralysis chance is always nice, and it helps in beating Pokemon such as +1 Gyarados, which would otherwise beat Clefable one-on-one.

Team Options
========

Klefki's ability to set up Reflect and Light Screen helps support the Clefable sweep a ton. Dual screens combined with Clefable's bulk allow it to Calm Mind as much as it wants as well as slow down the foe with Thunder Wave and potentially just win the game right there. Pokemon that resist Moonblast can stop the Clefable sweep, notably Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Empoleon, which are very bulky and can even beat a +6 Clefable. Azumarill, being a very strong physical wallbreaker, can take care of Heatran and Empoleon, while Ferrothorn can be weakened by any Fire move such as Hidden Power Fire on Mega Diancie and Sylveon or Fire Blast on Togekiss. Gardevoir's Psychic typing allow it to check Poison-type Pokemon for Clefable to have an easier time setting up. When equipped with a Choice Scarf, its Trace ability also allows it to be a check to Sand Rush Excadrill, which is a big threat while sand is up. Gardevoir may also use Trick to cripple Pokemon that Clefable doesn't like, such as Taunt Mew. Choice Specs Sylveon is another great partner to deal with Taunt Gliscor, which shuts down Clefable.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Moonblast is a strong and consistent Fairy-type attack and is Clefable's best STAB option. Soft-Boiled allows Clefable to replenish its health. Stealth Rock applies a lot of pressure in certain match-ups such as against Flying, Bug, Fire, (AC) and Ice. Fire Blast lets Clefable hit Steel-types, which otherwise wall it. It's especially useful for Mega Scizor which otherwise can set-up for free against Clefable. Unlike Flamethrower, which requires it to switch in on Stealth Rock first, Fire Blast gets the OHKO on Mega Scizor at full HP. Thunder Wave is an alternative option that provides great support for the rest of the team by allowing it to handle faster Pokemon like Mega Lopunny and Terrakion.

Set Details

========

Maximum HP is used to make Clefable as bulky as possible, (AC) as it needs to be able to take hits to fulfill its many rolls roles. 84 Special Defense EVs with a Calm Nature are used to check Kyurem-B, Mega Manectric, Mega Diancie, and Thundurus, while the rest of the EVs go in Defense so Clefable can take a Bullet Punch from Choice Band Scizor and take it out with Fire Blast if it's running it. Leftovers allows Clefable to check Pokemon better by restoring a bit of health each turn and increasing its longevity. Its Magic Guard is ability is very helpful for absorbing crippling status such as burn and poison and avoiding damage from entry hazards, Leech Seed, (AC) and weather. Unaware lets Clefable check +2 Mega Scizor and take it out with Fire Blast.

Usage Tips
========

Clefable is a great defensive pivot, as it takes neutral hits pretty well, but it cannot switch in on very powerful wallbreakers such as Mega Gardevoir, Mega Charizard Y, and Volcanion, because it's going to get 2HKOed. The given EV spread allows it to switch in on most Electric-types and Kyurem-B, which covers thus covering the lack of good Electric switchins on Fairy. It can pivot into Pokemon that want to spread crippling status (RC) if it's running the Magic Guard ability. If Unaware is the chosen ability choice, Clefable can check +2 Mega Scizor, but it still needs to be kept healthy, as it's not able to switch in on a Bullet Punch. It has a good match-up vs against most Defog users, so Stealth Rock should go up as early as possible to support the rest of the team. Thunder Wave can be used on any Pokemon foe (clarity) to cripple them, but it's especially useful against setup sweepers if not running Unaware.

Team Options
========

Klefki's immunity to Poison and neutrality to Steel makes make it a great partner for Clefable. Steel-types that annoy Clefable (RC) such as Heatran and Empoleon are big threats to Fairy. Azumarill is a very strong physical wallbreaker (RC) that has the ability to deal with both of those two. Pokemon with Fire-type coverage such as Togekiss and Mega Diancie are good partners for dealing with Steel-types that threaten Clefable. Gardevoir checks Poison-type Pokemon that Clefable can't do much against. When it's equipped with a Choice Scarf, its Trace ability also allows it to be a check to Sand Rush Excadrill, which is a big threat while sand is up. Gardevoir can also use Trick to cripple Pokemon that Clefable doesn't like facing, such as Mew and Gliscor. Choice Specs Sylveon is a very strong wallbreaker that's able to 2HKO Gliscor.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Using Stealth Rock over Thunder Wave or Fire Blast on the Calm Mind set is a viable option for teams that want the role compression. Unaware can be used to check setup sweepers such as Mega Gyarados and set up alongside them. It's only recommended to use Unaware if you're running Fire Blast so Clefable can check (RC) Mega Scizor, the biggest threat to Fairy. Flamethrower is an option over Fire Blast for better accuracy and more PP. Stealth Rock can be used over Fire Blast or Thunder Wave on the Calm Mind set if you're unable to fit it anywhere else on the team and you already have something to check Scizor. Ice Beam allows Clefable to hit Gliscor, which shuts down Clefable if it has Taunt; however, by running Ice Beam you miss out on more important moves. On top of Calm Mind, Cosmic Power can be used to make Clefable an even more dangerous and bulky setup sweeper that's very hard to deal with for some types. Wish can provide great support to the rest of the team thanks to Clefable's high HP stat. Heal Bell is an option on the utility set for getting rid of status that may annoy your team; however, Togekiss is the superior option to use this move.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Strong Special Attackers**: Before setting up a Calm Mind, Clefable is quite vulnerable to strong special attackers such as Choice Specs Keldeo and Sludge Wave Landorus if it has Sludge Wave.

Implemented, thanks again.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

The combination of Clefable's decent bulk, a good defensive typing in Fairy that leaves it only weak to Steel and Poison, its abilities, and its movepool makes it incredibly versatile and able to fulfill a lot of different roles on the team. Clefable is great at compressing many roles due to its vast movepool and good bulk backed by two great abilities. Its primary roles on the team can be to check Scizor, get entry hazards up, and be a wincon in a lot of match-ups. Its two primary abilities are Magic Guard and Unaware. Magic Guard is very nice for absorbing moves like Toxic, Will-O-Wisp, and Leech Seed, coming in on hazards without taking any damage, and even negating Life Orb recoil to let Clefable be used as an offensive tank. Unaware on the other hand lets it check setup sweepers such as Mega Gyarados and Mega Scizor and stop them from sweeping your team. Additionally, Clefable's wide movepool gives it many options. It has access to Stealth Rock, which not many other Fairy-type Pokemon do. It can be a cleric with access to Wish and Heal Bell, it has nice utility options in Encore, Knock Off, and Thunder Wave, it has very solid coverage in Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, and Moonblast, and Calm Mind can turn it into a very dangerous setup sweeper that's not easy do to deal with. It's one of the few Pokemon on Fairy that are able to survive an unboosted Bullet Punch from Mega Scizor and have access to a Fire-type moves in Flamethrower and Fire Blast, and that makes it a very important asset to Fairy.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Moonblast is the strongest Fairy-type move Clefable gets. It gets STAB, it's consistent, and not many Pokemon resist Fairy. Calm Mind boosts Clefable's Special Attack and Special Defense, which makes it very dangerous because it can be very hard to take out. Depending on the match-up, the game could already be over if Clefable gets to set up a few Calm Minds. Soft-Boiled allows Clefable to restore its HP, which is very helpful when it's trying to set up. (on the set, the order is Soft-Boiled and then Calm Mind, but here it's Calm Mind and then Soft-Boiled. the order has to match, so fix one of them) Fire Blast allows Clefable to hit Steel-types, which otherwise wall it. It's especially useful for Mega Scizor, which otherwise can set up for free against Clefable. Unlike Flamethrower, which requires it to come in on Stealth Rock first, Fire Blast gets the OHKO on Mega Scizor at full HP. Thunder Wave is an alternative option that provides great support for the rest of the team, allowing it to handle faster Pokemon like Mega Lopunny, Terrakion, Victini and Mega Pinsir, and also supports the Calm Mind sweep. Stealth Rock applies a lot of pressure in certain match-ups such as against Flying, Bug, Fire, and Ice, and Clefable is one of the only Fairy-type Pokemon to get access to it.

Set Details
========
(space)
Maximum HP EVs are used to make Clefable as bulky as possible, as it needs to be able to take hits to fulfill its many roles. Maximum Defense EVs allow Clefable to check physical attackers, which it's the go-to Fairy-type Pokemon to do, and it also helps it take both physical and special hits after setting up a Calm Mind. An alternative spread of 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD with a Calm nature gives Clefable a little more Special Defense and allows it to avoid getting 2HKOed by Mega Diancie's Moonblast and Mega Manectric's and Thundurus's Thunderbolt. However, if that spread is used, strong physical attackers such as Mega Swampert and Mega Garchomp become hard to check or switch into, as they'll all be able to 2HKO Clefable. Leftovers allows Clefable to check Pokemon better by restoring a bit of health each turn and increasing its longevity. Magic Guard is very helpful for absorbing crippling status such as burn and poison and avoiding damage from entry hazards, Leech Seed, and weather.

Usage Tips
========

Clefable can serve as a defensive pivot, as it takes neutral hits pretty easily for the most part, but it can't switch in on very powerful attackers such as Choice Specs Keldeo, Landorus, Choice Band Azumarill, and other strong wallbreakers, as they can all 2HKO it. It can also pivot into Pokemon that want to spread burns or poison due to Magic Guard, and those Pokemon are usually easy setup fodder. It can set set up with Calm Mind against Pokemon that aren't able to 2HKO it or aren't threats to it at all such as Rotom-W, Sableye, and non-Taunt Mew. It should not be used on physical attackers that 2HKO Clefable, as it's only able to boost it's its Special Defense. Before setting up a Calm Mind, though, Clefable is vulnerable to strong special attacks, as it's not able to tank them as well as it tanks physical attacks. Calm Mind doesn't always have to be used with the intention to sweep; it can be useful early-game for checking specially attacking threats and dealing with them more effectively. Although its Speed isn't high, Clefable should avoid getting paralyzed so it can be more reliable at fulfilling its roles. Clefable can survive a Bullet Punch from Choice Band Scizor and take it out with Fire Blast, but to do so its health has to be preserved. Thunder Wave can be used on any Pokemon whether it's faster than Clefable or not because the full paralysis chance is always nice, and it helps in beating Pokemon such as +1 Gyarados, which would otherwise beat Clefable one-on-one.

Team Options
========

Klefki's ability to set up Reflect and Light Screen helps support the Clefable sweep a ton. Dual screens combined with Clefable's bulk allow it to use Calm Mind as much as it wants as well as slow down the foe with Thunder Wave and potentially just win the game right there. Pokemon that resist Moonblast can stop the Clefable sweep, notably Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Empoleon, which are very bulky and can even beat a +6 Clefable. Azumarill, being a very strong physical wallbreaker, can take care of Heatran and Empoleon, while Ferrothorn can be weakened by any Fire move such as Hidden Power Fire on Mega Diancie and Sylveon or Fire Blast on Togekiss. Gardevoir's Psychic typing allows it to check Poison-type Pokemon for Clefable to have an easier time setting up. When equipped with a Choice Scarf, its Trace ability also allows it to be a check to Sand Rush Excadrill, which is a big threat while sand is up. Gardevoir may also use Trick to cripple Pokemon that Clefable doesn't like, such as Taunt Mew. Choice Specs Sylveon is another great partner to deal with Taunt Gliscor, which shuts down Clefable.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Moonblast is a strong and consistent Fairy-type attack and is Clefable's best STAB option. Soft-Boiled allows Clefable to replenish its health. Stealth Rock applies a lot of pressure in certain match-ups such as against Flying, Bug, Fire, and Ice. Fire Blast lets Clefable hit Steel-types, which otherwise wall it. (why do you talk about Fire Blast first if it's the second slash on the set? change it so they match) It's especially useful for Mega Scizor, (AC) which otherwise can set up for free against Clefable. Unlike Flamethrower, which requires it to switch in on Stealth Rock first, Fire Blast gets the OHKO on Mega Scizor at full HP. Thunder Wave is an alternative option that provides great support for the rest of the team by allowing it to handle faster Pokemon like Mega Lopunny and Terrakion.

Set Details
(remove space)
========

Maximum HP is used to make Clefable as bulky as possible, as it needs to be able to take hits to fulfill its many roles. 84 Special Defense EVs with a Calm nature are used to check Kyurem-B, Mega Manectric, Mega Diancie, and Thundurus, while the rest of the EVs go in Defense so Clefable can take a Bullet Punch from Choice Band Scizor and take it out with Fire Blast if it's running it. Leftovers allows Clefable to check Pokemon better by restoring a bit of health each turn and increasing its longevity. Magic Guard is very helpful for absorbing crippling status such as burn and poison and avoiding damage from entry hazards, Leech Seed, (AC) and weather. Unaware lets Clefable check +2 Mega Scizor and take it out with Fire Blast.

Usage Tips
========

Clefable is a great defensive pivot, as it takes neutral hits pretty well, but it cannot switch in on very powerful wallbreakers such as Mega Gardevoir, Mega Charizard Y, and Volcanion, because it's going to get 2HKOed. The given EV spread allows it to switch in on most Electric-types and Kyurem-B, thus covering the lack of good Electric switch-ins on Fairy. It can pivot into Pokemon that want to spread crippling status, (RC) if it's running Magic Guard. If Unaware is the chosen ability, Clefable can check +2 Mega Scizor, but it still needs to be kept healthy, as it's not able to switch in on a Bullet Punch. It has a good match-up against most Defog users, so Stealth Rock should go up as early as possible to support the rest of the team. Thunder Wave can be used on any foe to cripple them, but it's especially useful against setup sweepers if not running Unaware.

Team Options
========

Klefki's immunity to Poison and neutrality to Steel make it a great partner for Clefable. Steel-types that annoy Clefable such as Heatran and Empoleon are big threats to Fairy. Azumarill is a very strong physical wallbreaker that has the ability to deal with both of those two. Pokemon with Fire-type coverage such as Togekiss and Mega Diancie are good partners for dealing with Steel-types that threaten Clefable. Gardevoir checks Poison-type Pokemon that Clefable can't do much against. When it's equipped with a Choice Scarf, its Trace ability also allows it to be a check to Sand Rush Excadrill, which is a big threat while sand is up. Gardevoir can also use Trick to cripple Pokemon that Clefable doesn't like facing, such as Mew and Gliscor. Choice Specs Sylveon is a very strong wallbreaker that's able to 2HKO Gliscor.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Using Stealth Rock over Thunder Wave or Fire Blast on the Calm Mind set is a viable option for teams that want the role compression. Unaware can be used to check setup sweepers such as Mega Gyarados and set up alongside them. It's only recommended to use Unaware if you're running Fire Blast so Clefable can check, (RC) Mega Scizor, the biggest threat to Fairy. Flamethrower is an option over Fire Blast for better accuracy and more PP. Stealth Rock can be used over Fire Blast or Thunder Wave on the Calm Mind set if you're unable to fit it anywhere else on the team and you already have something to check Scizor. Ice Beam allows Clefable to hit Gliscor, which shuts down Clefable if it has Taunt; however, by running Ice Beam you miss out on more important moves. On top of Calm Mind, Cosmic Power can be used to make Clefable an even more dangerous and bulky setup sweeper that's very hard to deal with for some types. Wish can provide great support to the rest of the team thanks to Clefable's high HP stat. Heal Bell is an option on the utility set for getting rid of status that may annoy your team; however, Togekiss is the superior option to use this move.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Strong Special Attackers**: Before setting up a Calm Mind, Clefable is quite vulnerable to strong special attackers such as Choice Specs Keldeo and Sludge Wave Landorus.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)