Other Metagames [Monotype Ghost] Immune (core challenge #35)

Wyn

woop
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Hey guys! Its wyn here with the team I got top finisher with, for the #35 core ladder challenge (you should try 'em out too, they're pretty fun). Anyway, the core for this one was the infamous- Shedinja + Mega sableye. Its pretty good in OU given that you have an array of options to support it, which isn't available on a monotype team and was the real challenge in this one.

The team at a glance:

Teambuilding Process:

Starting with Shedinja and Mega Sableye as they were a part of the core, both work really good together- sableye switches in on possible hazard or status moves aimed at shedinja, while the latter switches in on certain stuff that threatens sableye, like landorus, slurpuff, gardevoir, etc.

Next I added Aegislash, which is a kind of essential on any ghost team as it can tank big hits from general threats and KO back due to its amazing stats and ability.

The team is pretty weak to fire types in general, so I decided to add Jellicent and Chandelure. Jellicent gives me a reliable switchin to most special attacks, while Chandelure is scarfed, basically working as a revenge killer since my team lacks speed.

For the last slot, I chose Golurk for the mandatory rocks. Well, ghost monotype is a team of 6 spinblockers so rocks give me a big advantage over teams that rely on rapid spin for hazard removal, like bug monotype.

The sets:

yaksok (Shedinja) @ Safety Goggles

Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Toxic / Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Shadow Sneak

This thing is really fun to use if you can do it right. It completely walls a lot of stuff that generally annoys a ghost team, stuff like Lando-I, Mega Lopunny, Mega Gardevoir, Keldeo, and much more if you know what set your opponent is running, and that explains why I'm using Protect- to scout for possible super effective/status moves. Toxic / WoW is to cripple things to stall them out and Sneak is to finish low HP mons that can still hit Shedinja. Safety Goggles, so that it doesn't die to sandstorm/hail damage (focus sash might be an option, but I prefer Safety Goggles).

suiryu (Sableye) (M) @ Sablenite

Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 208 Def / 36 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dark Pulse

Well, I really wanted to run the utility set (knock off + foul play) since my team revolves around switching in to the right wall, but I'm forced to run calm mind so I can stand a chance against the opponent's cm mega sableye, as it pretty much destroys my entire team. The spread lets me live a Dark Pulse + Draco meteor from a life orbed Hydreigon at +1 (I setup and mega on the turn it uses dark pulse), and speed creep other Mega sableyes so I can try to flinch them with dark pulse xd. Rest of the evs go in defense so it can take physical hits at its best, since calm mind boosts spDef anyway. Cm mega sableye is my win condition vs a lot of types, like dark, poison and steel.

bloodz (Aegislash) (M) @ Weakness Policy

Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Atk / 64 Def / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head / Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

I was originally running mixed defense with sub+toxic as it kind of fits my 'stally' team but decided to change it to SD as I needed something that can end games quicker. The evs may look weird, but they help me live a Hyperspace fury from a max attack Hoopa-U, even after some previous damage so I can KO back, same thing with Bisharp(if running sacred sword). 8 speed evs so that I can outpace uninvested base 60s, like Clefable(if Iron head).

kammi (Chandelure) (F) @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Trick
- Energy Ball

Like I mentioned before, I needed something fast on my team and scarfed chandelure fits the role. Max speed with Timid nature allow it to outspeed and revenge kill anything under base 145 Speed. Energy Ball is useful for dealing more damage to bulky Water and Ground types. Trick is a good option against stall teams or locking general threats into one move, so they're easier to deal with.

shauri (Jellicent) (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Acid Armor
- Recover
- Toxic

This is one of my favourite mons on a ghost monotype team. In general, its my spDef wall and take hits really well on the special side, but with acid armor this thing becomes too much to deal with for a lot of offensive teams, like dragon monotype.

sabella (Golurk) @ Focus Sash

Ability: No Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake / Curse
- Stone Edge
- Dynamic Punch
- Stealth Rock

Golurk is here just for the mandatory stealth rocks. But thats not just it, with Focus Sash this thing also helps me get rid of some big threats that I cannot do much about(like in the replays). Its not that hard to preserve the sash when you have Mega Sableye to bounce back entry hazards so it works for me. Max speed so it can outspeed otherwise faster mons like Mandibuzz, Skarmory, etc. and Adamant nature to hit as hard as possible. Curse is slashed with Earthquake just because I considered using it to deal with Cm mega sableye, as it isn't that threatening after it switches out once.

Threatlist:

The biggest threat to the team, especially with lum berry. I either need golurk with its sash intact, or healthy aegislash (if it hasn't set up) to deal with it.
This thing one hits five of my mons (if it wins the protect mind games with aegislash) and speed boost doesn't let me revenge kill it with Chandelure. I need sashed golurk, or healthy mega sableye to get rid of this.
and other dark types in general are also threatening, but can be dealt with.
This can ohko/2hko everything on my team, but a healthy jellicent can stall out the sun with recover.
Mixed Lo Kyurem-Black does a lot of damage to my team with Epower, Ice beam and Fusion bolt and can also beat shedinja because of Teravolt, but cm sableye or healthy aegislash can deal with it. Chandelure can revenge kill after some previous damage.​
yaksok (Shedinja) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Wonder Guard
Adamant Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Shadow Sneak

suiryu (Sableye) (M) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 208 Def / 36 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dark Pulse

bloodz (Aegislash) (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Atk / 64 Def / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

kammi (Chandelure) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Trick
- Energy Ball

shauri (Jellicent) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Acid Armor
- Recover
- Toxic

sabella (Golurk) @ Focus Sash
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dynamic Punch
- Stealth Rock
Dream Eater Gengar for helping me with this. You're a great friend!
cute user Kammi! (its basically her team which I stole took from suiryu's teambuilder, with a few edits) you're my favourite ghost user xd
scpinion for everything you've done for monotype. You're awesome!
Stunfisk The Great for running the core challenges. Keep up the good work!
A general shoutout to all my friends on showdown (YourKouhai all falls down Anttya Septicus Sabella Arifeen Azelea BlackSchwan Omega-Xis14 BlackBloodz Hazey iGlack Jack. Laxuy Typhozzz slurmz Mega Ridley PK-Kaiser rnbs Zarif Ashaury iWanka and a few others I probably missed. (sorry azelea made me write this ;/))

For those rating this team remember it was used for a Monotype Core Ladder Challenge, which means Mega-Sableye and Shedinja were necessary.

That is all, thanks for reading!​

Last edited:

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
Hey dude! Thanks for the shoutout so here are my thoughts on your team.

First of all, you are hindering yourself by using a way less viable mon!
Frillish > Jellicent - Jellicent hits 339 spdef ONLY with max investments in spdef. A disappoint, really. However, Frillish surpasses it by hitting an astounding 432 spdef WITH the eviolite so it is clearly the better suited mon. Also slapping on a confuse ray > toxic because confusion is way better as a status move. Carrying on...
Driftblim > Chandelure - This balloon is pretty much a better version of chandelure. Flare Boost boosts its attack by a whopping 1.5x which already surpasses Chandelure and it has way better coverage move such as Ominous Wind and Air Cutter to hit those pesky Brelooms everywhere! It is also immune to ground types which chandelure loses to! Overall better mon.
Spiritomb > Sableye - Do you know how hard it is to pull off the mega because sableye is so frail and slow? Spiritomb solves that problem as it has pretty much the exact same moves (WILLOWISP, DARK PULSE, CONFUSE RAY) except it is much bulkier... Its attack stats skyrocket far above thay of Sableye's and it looks cool as a shiny. (Shiny sableye looks bad FYI.)
Well, I would write more but am limited to changing 3 pokemon, sadly. Thanks for reading my reply and I hope these changes take affect soon.

Tl;DR - team kind of needs improvement lol.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Hey dude! Thanks for the shoutout so here are my thoughts on your team.

First of all, you are hindering yourself by using a way less viable mon!
Frillish > Jellicent - Jellicent hits 339 spdef ONLY with max investments in spdef. A disappoint, really. However, Frillish surpasses it by hitting an astounding 432 spdef WITH the eviolite so it is clearly the better suited mon. Also slapping on a confuse ray > toxic because confusion is way better as a status move. Carrying on...
Driftblim > Chandelure - This balloon is pretty much a better version of chandelure. Flare Boost boosts its attack by a whopping 1.5x which already surpasses Chandelure and it has way better coverage move such as Ominous Wind and Air Cutter to hit those pesky Brelooms everywhere! It is also immune to ground types which chandelure loses to! Overall better mon.
Spiritomb > Sableye - Do you know how hard it is to pull off the mega because sableye is so frail and slow? Spiritomb solves that problem as it has pretty much the exact same moves (WILLOWISP, DARK PULSE, CONFUSE RAY) except it is much bulkier... Its attack stats skyrocket far above thay of Sableye's and it looks cool as a shiny. (Shiny sableye looks bad FYI.)
Well, I would write more but am limited to changing 3 pokemon, sadly. Thanks for reading my reply and I hope these changes take affect soon.

Tl;DR - team kind of needs improvement lol.
These are lord suggestions lol

But on a real note Frosslass > Golurk might be a better option since pretty much every team have SR meaning you could send out Sableye to bounce them and Spikes is really good since you have a lot of things that force switch outs like Mega Sableye because they can't let you calm mind, Shedinja because if they can't hit you they have to switch out, and scarf chandelure if they aren't going to sacrifice it. I have never personally tried Spikes by Force in Monotype but I reccomend it's good till you go against mono flying but then Frosslass has a powerful Ice STAB potentially making it better. It also has access to Destiny Bond which is IMO the best move in the game.

And here is the lord part of the comment

Pumpkaboo @ Focus Sash
Ability: Frisk
Level: 1
Serious Nature
- Trick Room
- Destiny Bond
- Leech Seed
- Will-o-Wisp

This set is a lord because you use Trick Room then you use destiny bond and if they switch out you get a leech seed or a burn then you click Destiny Bond and you kill something and then you go out into sableye and then you can mega evolve and then you can outspeed everything and then you win.

Ya this team is pretty boss, i can only suggest a lord set:

Shedinja @ Weakness Policy
Jolly Nature
- Sword Dance
- Endure
- Fury Cutter
- Baton Pass

You sword dance, use endure into a super effective attack to do your weakness police thing and sweep with fury cutter or baton pass to Jellicent or whatever.
Use this set and you win the ladder, k ty bye.

Reactions: Wyn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)