Monotype Good Cores (see post 136 for updates)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gonna reserve possible Offensive Bug and Fighting Cores.
Awesome! Just make sure you don't post the same core as Clearly (Cobalion, Terrakion, Keldeo) or DM, who has already reserved the offensive combo of Genesect / Mega-Pinsir / Heracross for bug.

Croven

certified genius
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
DPL Champion
K so let's be real here and stop using that shitty generic Flying core. Let's be a little....creative. I'm a flying user so I had to look up what that word meant: resulting from originality of thought,expression,etc.;imaginative. But now I'm confused about this 'originality' and 'imaginative' ;n;

Anyway, here's a balanced (I think it's balanced, and not defensive....) core I've used to great success in Flying.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze => Tough Claws
EV's: 248 HP/ 228 SpDef/ 32 Spe
Careful Nature
-Will-o-Wisp
-Dragon Claw
-Flare Blitz
-Roost

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EV's: 248 HP/ 128 Def/ 128 SpDef
Careful Nature
-Dragon Dance/Thunder Wave
-Waterfall
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

Landorus-T @ Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Atk
IV's: 29 Spe
Impish Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Knock Off
-U-Turn

Explanation:
Ok, so before you nerds diss me for using a SpDef Char and DD Resttalk Gyara, go use it yourself before calling me a nub. If you use it well enough, then you'll realize that it's actually pretty good. Anyway, onto the core itself. SpDef Char is an amazing answer to so many things, such as Genesect and Thundurus, and even Kyu-W if you haven't M-Evolved yet, and they're not Specs (kinda shaky tho). Char takes any Electric attack or any HP Ice coming at Gyarados and Landorus. BoltBeam coverage? What's that? What's best is WoW. People think they can get up free Rocks with Lando or free setup with TTar, only to be met with a burn in the face. Not too much of a problem after that. Flare Blitz is for the sole reason of being able to 2HKO Clefable after a Knock Off, and have a chance at 2HKO'ing it if it still has Leftovers. Gyarados is actually a really good win condition, as long as you're not facing Electric and have gotten rid of the Electric coverage on the opposing team. Paras, Burns, and passive damage isn't doing too much to it with Rest. It's pretty much the physical variant of CroCune, and everyone knows how effective that is. It is a secondary check to Ice attacks, and also serves as the first check to Ground moves that threaten Zard X. Early-mid game, its best for dealing some damage to the other team with Waterfall, because a DD could just cost you a turn if they still have some good checks to Gyara. It could possibly lose you momentum against a prepared team. However, don't be afraid to sweep early game once say, a poke with Rock coverage has been eliminated, since it has the bulk to tank many hits and DD up against certain types, such as Fire. Just be cautious using this set. Finally, we have a standard Lando-T. Lando is the secondary check to Ground moves for Zard, and is also the sole check to Rock coverage on the core. Zard can burn before they setup (he has some decent speed), and Gyara can Waterfall, but they're not switching in on any day of the week. However, Lando-T is an amazing check to Rock and Ground moves, so it doesn't have to worry about much. He can also take Electric attackers lacking HP Ice for Gyarados. Sets up Rocks, which is great help for any team. It can also provide some momentum with U-Turn, or have the utility of Knocking Off items.

Gyarados set can be tweaked as necessary; I literally threw on EV's because I had no idea what to use. You'll notice the identical 128/128 split <.< Thunder Wave can be opted over DD for a more defensive approach, crippling threats such as M-Medi and Kyu-W instead of damaging them. I used that set in OU to great success, and I'm pretty sure it'll work out great in Monotype as well. Change EV's and moves as necessary for Gyara.

Threats:
Again, powerful mixed attackers pose a threat to this core. However, with the great typing and added bulk to this one, there are few that can actually break it. They are rare, but exist, such as mons like these:

Ok, not much in Flying is switching into these monsters regardless. Garchomp is taking a chunk off of anything with Draco Meteor, and can outright OHKO Gyarados and Charizard if it gets a free switch with Stone Edge. Its bulk is also a pain to deal with, as it takes several hits to eventually KO. Kyu-B is just a menace for Flying to face. Ice Beam and Fusion Bolt provide incredible strong coverage, and with a Dragon STAB, it can also KO Char X, and thus makes itself a pain to deal with. What REALLY SUCKS is that both can be used legally on a Dragon mono, WITH A HEALING WISH LATIAS!! omg, I don't even remember how I deal with them. It must be my pure luck and flying hax immense skill that triumphs in the end.

-___________________________-
Why do I have to deal with this thing again? Please remind me why this is still in Monotype. Kyu-W just nukes everything on this core. Gyarados is the sole check, being able to survive a Draco from Scarf after Rocks, and can allow some playing around. Of course, it's not doing much back, unless you run Twave, All it's doing is lowering the SpAtk, forcing a switch, and giving you a bit of time to set up Rocks and figure out how to deal with it again. Please, someone find a way to deal with this besides a defensive Zard Y, consistent 50% weakness to Rocks is very annoying against a team with Mamoswine, one of the most reliable Rocks setters against Flying.

Mega-Medicham breaks every monotype core :s
-1 252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Gyarados: 153-180 (38.9 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Medicham: 118-141 (45.2 - 54%) -- 44.1% chance to 2HKO

Shaky checks are love, shaky checks are life.

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 128+ SpD Gyarados: 133-156 (33.8 - 39.6%) -- 20.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
lol.

Team Support:

This isn't even my fanboying coming out here; Togekiss can support the core really well. If you notice above, two of the three major threats are usable on Dragon, which defensive Togekiss has some fun with. It can also Heal Bell away status from Lando and Char, as Gyara isn't always an option to status absorb. It can also Defog if you really want.

Hazard Control is bae. Seriously, what Flying core doesn't need hazard removal if it doesn't carry it. Rocks totally just fuck up this core, as Gyara loses the ability to check a plethora of mons with Rocks up, and Landorus gets worn down easily. Charizard isn't appreciating them too much either.

Answers to the threats above work as well. Special attackers come in handy, as literally all of this core is purely physical. It has varied coverage, but there's only so much a purely physical core can do to physical core, or just a mon like Slowbro itself. Togekiss works well here too, as does Zapdos (generic much?).

Replays may come if I get enough energy to find that one replay where I missed a WoW on an Azu that BD'ed on my Zard and still managed to win with double Intimidate and Banded Dnite and Zard X taking the rest of the Fairy team. And if I get calm enough to not ladder with my Togetic team. We'll see how it goes.

Anyway, that's the core we have today. I really like it; answers to Greninja and M-Medi on a Flying team are usually worshipped. Zard X can pretty much 6-0 a Fairy team by itself, even with screens and Mawile and Azumarill. Electric and Ice are handled pretty easily, Zard X and Gyara put in work. Rock is a bit tougher to take, as they usually run coverage to get by Lando, but it's not too difficult if you have the right team support. DON'T hate on the Gyara and Zard sets, they work too well. Now go out and use them and realize not everyone in Flying is generic q.q (not me but some others aren't o3o)

Bug Offensive Core

And

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 251 HP / 4 Atk / 1 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Swords Dance

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- Pin Missile
- Arm Thrust

This set is simple, BP Swords Dance and Speed Boost to MegaCross and sweep. Heracross can usually take any nonSTAB attack that's meant to kill Scolipede(provided it's not SE). His moves are also meant to cover almost every type combination with a SE or normal damage attack(Bar Mega Venasuar) Scoli's EQ can be swapped for another attack because its current set is walled by Flying. Also, Scoli may be swapped out for Ninjask(same set, swap EQ for something else) This set can also work for Mega Pinsir, but seriously. You think Mega Pinsir needs more attack power? Also, Heracross' resistance to dark and ground are also quite useful.
Keep away from priority moves with your Scolipede. ESPECIALLY WHIRLWIND.

This set is a bit fragile, falling apart at the slightest entry hazard on Scoli's part. But, you can quickly pass the speed and it'll do fine. Although it's best to carry a Forretress to Rapid Spin those off(Along with some help for Hera with those Spikes/Rocks).

Sticky Web. That is all.

Hera cannot take anything that has Rough Skin because he will just die.

This guy. Right here. Outspeeds a 2x speed boost and Twaves the boost down. Followed by a special flying type attack.

Scarfed can also outspeed a 2x speed boost and OHKO with Air Slash.

Same deal as Togekiss.

These two can outspeed a 2x speed boost and Zard X gets DDance.

Pokes that go well:

Last edited:

Croven

certified genius
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
DPL Champion
Bug Offensive Core

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Swords Dance

Heracross @ Heracronite
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- Pin Missile
- Arm Thrust

This set is simple, BP Swords Dance and Speed Boost to MegaCross and sweep. Heracross can usually take any physical attack that's meant to kill Scolipede(provided it's not SE). His moves are also meant to cover almost every type combination with a SE or normal damage attack(Bar Mega Venasuar) Scoli's EQ can be swapped for another attack because its current set is walled by Flying. Also, Scoli may be swapped out for Ninjask(same set, swap EQ for something else) This set can also work for Mega Pinsir, but seriously. You think Mega Pinsir needs more attack power? Also, Heracross' resistance to dark and ground are also quite useful.
Keep away from priority moves with your Scolipede.

This set is a bit fragile, falling apart at the slightest entry hazard on Scoli's part. But, you can quickly pass the speed and it'll do fine. Although it's best to carry a Forretress to Rapid Spin those off(Along with some help for Hera with those Spikes/Rocks).

Sticky Web. That is all.

This guy. Right here. Outspeeds a 2x speed boost and Twaves the boost down. Followed by a special flying type attack.

Same deal as Togekiss.

Pokes that go well:
Small nitpick, but Close Combat is superior to A Thrust. AT gets 75 total base power while CC gets 120. Also, the lack of added Rough Skin damage is great. It's definitely worth the lowered defense drops, so IMO put that over AT.

Small nitpick, but Close Combat is superior to A Thrust. AT gets 75 total base power while CC gets 120. Also, the lack of added Rough Skin damage is great. It's definitely worth the lowered defense drops, so IMO put that over AT.
That could work, but he could get killed by priority.

Last edited:

scpinion

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bug Offensive Core

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Swords Dance

Heracross @ Heracronite
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- Pin Missile
- Arm Thrust

This set is simple, BP Swords Dance and Speed Boost to MegaCross and sweep. Heracross can usually take any nonSTAB attack that's meant to kill Scolipede(provided it's not SE). His moves are also meant to cover almost every type combination with a SE or normal damage attack(Bar Mega Venasuar) Scoli's EQ can be swapped for another attack because its current set is walled by Flying. Also, Scoli may be swapped out for Ninjask(same set, swap EQ for something else) This set can also work for Mega Pinsir, but seriously. You think Mega Pinsir needs more attack power? Also, Heracross' resistance to dark and ground are also quite useful.
Keep away from priority moves with your Scolipede. ESPECIALLY WHIRLWIND.

Sticky Web. That is all.

Same deal as Togekiss.

Pokes that go well:
Awesome core mate! Thanks for posting it.
A couple suggestions:
  • Like Croven said, Close Combat>Arm Thrust. With the speed boosts you don't care about the defensive stat drops.
  • Also, how about slashing Substitute on Scolipede so you can pass to Hera w/o worry of it taking massive damage on the switch. This can also fix the priority T-wave problem from Thundy. :)
  • Scolipede currently has 251 HP / 4 Atk / 1 SpD / 252 Spe. Lets go with 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe on Scolipede. This continues to help w/ SR damage, but doesn't waste 4 EVs (you only get an extra point for every multiple of 4).
  • With protect and speed boost you can get away w/ not running Jolly on Scolipede. My personal preference is Adamant>Jolly on this Scoli set, but either is fine. Just mention the other in the usage section.
  • Finally, you may wish to put a bit of speed on Hera so it can speed creep on some of the threats in your list at +2. This is something the chat on PS! should be great at helping with b/c they will give you a number of speed tiers to hit and you can chose what you think would be best!

Lastly, a general comment for the thread:
If people have more ideas for 2 'mon cores such as this one, we would love to see them!

Last edited:
Offensive Fighting Core

Choose 2

Lucario @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Vacuum Wave
- Flash Cannon

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Secret Sword
- Endeavor
- Scald

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Facade
- Spore
- Fling

Infernape @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- ThunderPunch
- Power-Up Punch
- Mach Punch

These four work quite well, with Steel added to the already powerful Fire/Grass/Water core.
The sets for Breloom, Infernape, and Keldeo are my own, so feel free to make the following changes:
-Swap Nape's PuP for Rocks and replace AssVest with Sash.
-You can run Mach Punch over Fling/Drain Punch but make sure you don't get walled by Ghost.
-You can also run SubPunch or Technician Breloom, this set's flexible
-Replacing Endeavour for HP Fire is good type coverage, but I like using Endeavour for a last minute trick.
-Running NP over CM for a riskier Lucario
-Running Dark Pulse over Extrasensory for different type coverage

Lucario becomes a great special wall after 1 or 2 CM's, provided he doesn't get SE'd. Infernape can be used to set up or sweep, early-game, mid-game, or late-game. Breloom gives support with his Spore and can handle some Flying with Facade if they're weakened/Asleep. Also, Fling can be used to Toxic any wall he encounters, like Slowbro. Keldeo can take down physical walls, outspeeds most, and can kill Special Walls that are weak/neutral to Fighting. Given enough time, Lucario can sweep Poison and usually other Fighting with Extrasensory, Ghost and Psychic with Dark Pulse, Fairy/Rock/Ice with Flash Cannon, and Ice/Rock/Steel with Priority Vacuum Wave.

You can use any two of these four in combination with each other and they should work well, except Lucario/Infernape

Threats

An EQ here, an EQ there and...Nape and Luc are dead. Keldeo can usually take care of them.

Air Slash. That is all. You need a strong hit with Lucario to kill(if he isn't already dead from flinching)

Wimbly Wombly Wall.

This lil bitch.

Aargh.

Works well with:

Last edited:

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Bugging Out - Offensive core (Bug)

Genesect @ Choice Specs
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Bug Buzz
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Set: There are lots of viable Genesect sets, such as the scarf sets that are very popular, but this is my personal favourite for this core, as Specs gives it the necessary power to smash through the walls that the other two need gone. Pretty standard moves and EVs too, I suppose you could run Flamethrower over Bug Buzz, but I love the cleaning power Bug Buzz has when Download boosted.

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie / Guts
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake / Knock Off

Set: While the other two pokemon in the core are the big names so to speak, they couldn't function to their maximum without Heracross doing it's job. This set checks so many would be threats to this core it's not even funny, notably Sand Rush Excadrill who it outspeeds if Webs are up and Exca can't KO it anyway, giving extra insurance against it. Either nature can work, I prefer Adamant as with Webs support it still outspeeds everything it needs to, but Jolly is fine if you're worried you won't be able to get Webs or would rather not run them. Move choice is pretty standard, first 3 slots are non-negotiable in my opinion, however either option is viable for the last slot. The choice of ability is quite important too, as while Moxie gives you great lategame sweeping potential, Guts give's you a great status absorber and can punish the likes of Sableye trying to prevent a Pinsir sweep.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter / Moxie / Mold Breaker
Happiness: 0
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Earthquake / Close Combat
- Swords Dance / Knock Off / Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Set: The best of the three megas available to Bug in my opinion, the power this thing packs is nothing short of incredible. There aren't many things taking unresisted Frustrations from this set, and for those that do resist it, the coverage of choice smacks most stuff hard. Quick Attack provides strong priority after the Aerilate boost, and if you can get a Swords Dance up, becomes a great cleaning tool. About Swords Dance, while it gives great power if you can get one set up, it can be quite difficult to find a chance to due to Pinsir's frailty, so running an all-out attacker set is definitely an option. Choice of nature and pre-mevo ability is down to personal preference, I like Jolly for always being able to know that you outspeed everything in the 91-104 Speed tier, particularly max Speed Landorus-T(as rare as it is). Adamant is viable for the noticeable power boost it gives though. The ability choice is also pretty inconsequential too, I prefer Hyper Cutter for random Intimidate mons trying to weaken Pinsir's gigantic attack stat, Moxie can work for trying to get an Attack boost before you Mevo and Mold Breaker can hurt Rotom formes trying to wall you if you run Earthquake.

Explanation: With the unbanning of Genesect came one of the strongest offensive cores currently present in Monotype, the Bug Hyper Offense core. Mega-Pinsir has always been strong, but with the support of Genesect to break down it's counters and Heracross generally being a good check to things that threaten it, this core is capable of smashing it's way through pretty much all the defensive cores listed here. As mentioned above, when playing with this, you should aim to wear down the opposing team to such a point where one of the three can sweep, usually Pinsir or Heracross. The best way to do this is with smart double switches, eg. drawing out the threats that wall you and predicting them so you can get the appropriate check in, eg. Genesect for Zapdos or Skarmory, Heracross for Heatran and Terrakion etc etc.

Threats to this core: This is kinda difficult, as it pretty much beats most defensive builds so mainly you have to worry about offensive checks.

Stealth Rock: This core absolutely detests Stealth Rock, as it hampers Genesect's ability to pivot, and generally racking up hazards damage isn't great for the core. To patch this somewhat, it's a good idea to pair the core with a spinner such as Forretress or Armaldo.

Terrakion: If running the scarf set, this can be a real issue as only Heracross can take a hit and it's not taking repeated Stone Edges so some way of dealing with this reliably is a must. If you can get Webs down, Heracross will always outspeed and can dispatch it. Otherwise Physically Defensive Forretress can take it on quite well if it runs Gyro Ball.

Fletchinder: As rare as it is lol, it can really do work on this core thanks to it's priority Acrobatics wiping Hera and Pinsir out and punching quite a hole into Genesect. Armaldo can help here, being neutral to both STABs and responding with 4x super effective STAB.

Scarfed Fire types: The likes of Darmanitan and Victini can be really troublesome if Webs aren't up, as they can smash through this pretty easily. The best solution here is to try and gets Webs up if you can, or failing that Armaldo can check them to an extent.

Good partners:

Forretress+Armaldo - Both good spinners who can also take on some threats to this core.

Galvantula+Shuckle - Both provide Webs which give this core the Speed advantage it loves.

Volcarona - Can help Gene in breaking down Physical walls, also isn't a bad switchin to most special Fire moves if running a bulkier set.

Offensive Core

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

Mawile @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head / Fire Fang
- Swords Dance

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower

This post is under Construction.

Obviously this is the most common offensive core for fairy teams, and all of these pokemon have defensive options to allow them to setup vs specific threats, and as bulky attackers, each of them is able to use dual screen support better than offensive mons like gardevoir.

Azumarill is a standout for hitting fire types who resist fairy attacks and wall clefable, as well as forcing mawille to use its weakest attacks, taking neutral hits from steel attacks, and being able to immediately threaten after busting out its +6.

I use this mawile over sic(A faster spread of 252 HP / 164 Atk / 92 Spe EVs with a Speed IV of 31 and an Adamant nature can be used to outspeed Pokemon such as 0 Spe Tyranitar and Scrafty) Because the team will often be called to start its sweep with or without spikes support, and the full damage helps to avoid people tanking in your face.

Clefable's magic guard allows it to handle sableye with impunity, although it dosen't get to use unaware to beat down the second most popular clefable or allow you to spam full hazards against calm mind pokes.

anything that carries will o wisp annoys Clefable and Azumarill especially if they dont take enough from aqua jet.

Ditto. Use azumarill and clefable against normal teams carrying with this monster, setting up (iron head) mawille can easily lead to your most of your team being OHKOd.

Encore. While aqua jet has priority, whimsicott has faster priority even uninvested, and laughs at swords dance. Also smart playing by sending a fast threat in to lure sucker punch and then switching to an encore poke can force mawile out.

lando-T and gyarados intimidate stop mawile and hit back with earthquake,

rotom-W and mew take a hit and status/kill both mawile and azumarill.

Random sub+3 attack using things can screw mawille over as well even if they would be OHKO d by sucker punch, keep this in mind if they send in something suspicous, and consider using iron head to beat their plan.

Taking prior damage Is clefable's main check, as while it can tank specific physcial attacks and is almost never OHKO, the turns it needs to heal up and get it's moonblast into dangerous levels with calm mind are often enough for the opponet to stop it cold.

Tentacruel Is a hard counter for clefable, as it takes squat from you attacks and will kill you through boosts with acid spray.

Quagsire The counter set and the curse set can mess up all three of these pokemon respectively.

Skarmory can force either out if it needs to. scizor has equal that bulk and can set up or hit hard in kind despite the neutrality.

Priority Mindgames although mawille will never die to an ice shard, sucker punch, or extreme speed, things like honchcrow and mamoswine may repeatedly use the move to make sucker punch fail, and choosing play rough over sucker punch after the 2-3rd round to break it may lead to them dropping earthquake or a similar lethal move.

Sleep Powder/Spore. Mawille is also completely vulnerable to any sleep move, as is azumarill to resistant grass types such as venasaur, and you can't really hope to outspeed common users.

Tanks like garchomp and tyranitar can take a sucker punch and OHKO back, both being able to go mixed to help get the desired screen down.

Usually the team's weakness is made up for by a defensive core of klefki, togekiss, and a revolving spDef wall (florges,diancie,sylveon) whose support allows easier setup, an emergency pivot, clerical support, limited coverage on some defensive threats, chip damage through hazards to allow the sweep to go more smoothly.

Good Partners
  • Klefki
  • Togekiss
  • Diancie
  • Sylveon
  • Florges

Last edited:

all falls down

thanks ugly god
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Perhaps we should start putting the threats in a hide tag so they don't stretch for like half a page

EDIT: just edited all of my 7 cores with hide tags

Speaking of 7 cores, try to beat my record :^)

Last edited:
Poison Balanced Core

Tentacruel @Assault Vest
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Acid Spray
- Scald
- Giga Drain
- Rapid Spin

Weezing Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will o Wisp
- Pain Split
- Stockpile
- Psywave/Fire Blast

Venasaur-Mega @Venasaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 spA
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed/Stun Spore/Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power Fire
- Synthesis/Earthquake

How to Use: Weezing walls Physical, Venasaur walls Special, and Tentacruel walling is versatile and can change as needed. This core has a decent chunk of resistances and recovery, as well as offensive presence. The key is switching between the appropiate wall and using rapid spin to keep hazards from punishing this.

Counters/Checks: Again, Psychic and Ground are the two weaknesses Poison suffers from. Weezing's ground immunity can help, but if the opponent has moldbreaker (excadrill or mega-gyarados) you need Mega-Venasaur to bulk it out. The other weakness this core shares is Psychic, for which you need Drapion or Skuntank.

Some specific Pokemon to watch out for include...

Excadrill, why u so scurry? Mold Breaker Scarfed Excadrill can tear through poison teams if you've lost crobat, so you'll need a safe switch in on either Mega-Venasaur or Weezing to Cripple it as quickly as possible with status.

OML make it go away ;~;. A LO Landorus-I, with it's combination of Earth Power and Psychic, puts this team in serious trouble. The response I use on my team is the response I have to most set up sweepers and the like. Scarfed Gengar with Destiny Bond :P Though seriously, nothing can switch in safely on Landorus-I, something must die so that Crobat or another attacker can revenge kill.

Reccomended Partners:

Drapion, because Psychic Immunity, mostly. Also can pursuit trap and OHKO nuisances like Meloetta or a -2 Victini.

Nidoqueen, cause she provides all the coverage you'll need to cripple Steel's favorite walls (ferrothorn, skarmory, heatran), as well as the bulk to live hits from major offensive players like Kyurem-W and Landorus-I.

Crobat, because Ground Immunity that avoids moldbreaker as well as the ability infiltrator. Crobat can take down Sub/Keldeo, Mega-Venasaur, Sub/Shaymin-Sky, greninja, and other threats easily. U-turn and it's impressive speed lets you pivot into the appropiate wall if need be.

Last edited:
Poison Offensive Core:

Drapion Choice Band
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Attack/252 Speed
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock off
- Cross Poison
- Earthquake

Nidoqueen Life Orb/Assault Vest
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 Speed
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam/Thunderbolt

Crobat Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Attack/252 Speed
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Pursuit/Cross Poison
- Roost

How to Use: Crobat is a nuke and a pivot, as LO bravebird hits hard enough to KO a variety of typical threats. Crobat also has Ground Immunity that avoids moldbreaker as well as the ability infiltrator. Crobat can take down Sub/Keldeo, Mega-Venasaur, Sub/Shaymin-Sky, greninja, and other threats easily. U-turn and it's impressive speed lets you pivot into the appropiate wall if need be. Nidoqueen provides all the coverage you'll need to cripple Steel's favorite walls (ferrothorn, skarmory, heatran), as well as the bulk to live hits from major offensive players like Kyurem-W and Landorus-I. And Drapion because, well, Psychic Immunity, mostly. Also can pursuit trap and OHKO nuisances like Meloetta or a -2 Victini.

Checks/Counters: Nidoqueen can be walled by a healthy amount of special walls, namely Mega-Venasaur, Jellicent, Meloetta. And Crobat can be walled by most steel types. Working around this comes down to predicting correctly and using Crobat's U-turn for the momentum. If a pokemon can wall Nidoqueen, chances are it will be threatened by Drapion or Crobat, and so on.

Optional:

Gengar @Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Speed
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Destiny Bond
- Trick
Why?: Choice Scarfed Gengar outspeeds other scarfs and +1 boosted pokemon (Mega-Gyarados, Mega-Zard X, etc) and can bring them down with Destiny Bond, as well as finishing off weakened pokemon with shadow ball. Trick/Scarfing also cripples threats like Volcarona, Crocune, etc.

scpinion

Perhaps we should start putting the threats in a hide tag so they don't stretch for like half a page

EDIT: just edited all of my 7 cores with hide tags

Speaking of 7 cores, try to beat my record :^)
AFD brings up a two good points. Hide tags would make this much more accessible. The Posting Format in the OP has been updated to reflect this. Please PM me on PS! or here on the forums if you're having trouble getting the hide tags to work.

and

We're still missing loads of type/style combinations! Surely someone has a great core for Ice with it's recent rise in usage? :)

Zar

What a time
is a Contributor Alumnus
Offensive Core (Fire)

Infernape @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Focus Blast
- SolarBeam

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blue Flare
- Energy Ball
- Psyshock
- Glaciate

Introduction:
This core is one of the most offensive cores Fire has access to. Charizard-Mega Y provides Sun support, which helps Victini and Infernape to hit even harder (particularly Victini since Infernape doesn't really need the added power). Infernape makes it so that Special Walls don't wall this core to oblivion. Victini is really the main sweeper here with the Choice Scarf. Glaciate helps you against Fire's most common threats like Garchomp (although it doesn't OHKO which is a shame) but,the speed lowering can help you win matches with your other pokemon. But what's great about this core is that each pokemon counters the other pokemon's weakness/wall. Such as Infernape gets walled by Hippowdon,Gliscor,Slowbro. But Charizard helps cover that. Charizard and Victini both get walled by Chansey,Blissey but Infernape's brute power overthrows Chansey. Infernape and Charizard get screwed by Scarf Landorus-Therian.But Victini with Glaciate outspeeds and OHKO's it with Stealth Rock support

252 SpA Victini Glaciate vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 288-340 (90 - 106.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

How to use: Get rid of your opponent's Special wall if he/she has any and then start sweeping with Charizard,Victini.
  • Torkoal, now Torkoal in my opinion is a must-have pokemon in Fire. Its main work is to set up rocks and get rid of rocks. It also works as an amazing physical wall and it can throw out Yawns and Lava Plume to try and get some Status going.
  • Entei
    , Entei can rip-apart Generic Flying-monotypes with a life orb and Stone Edge. It also gives Fire some coverage against Fairy-monotypes.
  • Rotom-Heat
    , serves as a great Special wall for Fire. Plus it gets Light Screen/Reflect/Will-O-Wisp/Thunder Wave. I personally love using Screens Rotom-H,as it helps give out some much needed bulk to Fire-monotype for atleast 7-8 turns. It can also cripple physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp.
  • Darmanitan
    , provides amazing power and an amazing late-game sweeper with a Choice Scarf.With Sun,this Pokemon wrecks almost anything that isn't a physical wall.

Terrakion - Now Terrakion is a major prick for almost all Fire-monotypes. There isn't any clear-cut solution to this,except something like Sash Infernape. With a Choice Scarf,nothing survives a Stone Edge from this thing except Torkoal, who really can't do anything to Terrakion except Yawn.

How to defeat it?: Well Now it becomes alot more complicated and it involves sacking Entei. First you have to make sure you have Stealth Rocks up.Then you have to use Extreme Speed with Entei and then follow up with a Mach Punch from Infernape. And even then you might not KO it...

252+ Atk Life Orb Entei Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 62-74 (19.1 - 22.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Infernape Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 218-260 (67.2 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Yeah..Shits Complicated in Fire

Azumarill - Azumarill...now if Azumarill gets a Belly Drum up and you don't Yawn/Burn it. With its priority and amazing Attack.Its over.

How to defeat it?: Simple,Just don't let it Belly Drum and use Solar Beam with Charizard.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 366-432 (90.5 - 106.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Garchomp/Garchomp-Mega - Now if your opponent has Scarf Garchomp,you have to do this magical command, /forfeit.Now seriously there isn't really anything that can help you against a scarf Garchomp unless you get lucky with a Lava Plume Burn. Now with Garchomp-Mega its a different story. Its not the biggest threat but with the added bulk, its tough to kill it.

How to defeat it?: I'm not going to go into Scarf Garchomp, but to kill Garchomp-Mega.You have to wait until it Mega Evolves and sack Infernape/Charizard/Victini. Against Dragon monos,its best to sack Charizard. Against Ground,its best to sack Infernape or Victini (if the opponent has an Excadrill).

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Garchomp: 158-187 (44.2 - 52.3%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Infernape Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Garchomp: 223-264 (62.4 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Victini Glaciate vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Garchomp: 248-296 (69.4 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Gyarados-Mega - Gyarados-mega will probably sweep and crush this core, if the Gyarados has Substitute and leads with it while you lead wit Torkoal, it can easily set up a substitute and start Dragon Dancing and it wil sweep you.

How to defeat it?: Always lead with Rotom-H against Flying-monotypes.With Volt Switch you can just scout out what he's leading with.There's another option which doesn't really work if your opponent gets more than 1+ Speed.You could use Extreme Speed to break the sub and Mach Punch with Infernape and then use Energy Ball with Victini.

252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Infernape Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gyarados: 188-224 (56.6 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Victini Energy Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 132-156 (39.7 - 46.9%) -- 34% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Now overall I'd say this is a great Core for Fire-monotype.Feel free to point out any any flaws.

Last edited:
Ghost Balanced Core

AND

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Knock Off

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
Adamant Nature
- King's Shield
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Overall, this set is pretty generic and is used the way you'd expect it to be used. But, the one catch is swapping one of Sableye's moves for Momento. This ensures a free boost for Aegislash either through a Swords Dance during a switch or through a hit and activating Weakness Policy. Also, if you need to save Sableye for something else and a Fairy Type is threatening him, switch to Aegislash for a free boost during the switch. Just keep the momentum and Boost when needed, and this set can lead to an easy sweep. But, you could also get OHKO'ed by Fire Blast the next turn, you never know.

Threats

Works with

scpinion

Ghost Balanced Core

AND

Sableye @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Knock Off

Adamant Nature
- King's Shield
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Overall, this set is pretty generic and is used the way you'd expect it to be used. But, the one catch is swapping one of Sableye's moves for Momento. This ensures a free boost for Aegislash either through a Swords Dance during a switch or through a hit and activating Weakness Policy. Also, if you need to save Sableye for something else and a Fairy Type is threatening him, switch to Aegislash for a free boost during the switch. Just keep the momentum and Boost when needed, and this set can lead to an easy sweep. But, you could also get OHKO'ed by Fire Blast the next turn, you never know.

Threats

Works with
Thanks for posting another core, but I can't add this one to the OP because it is essentially the same as AFD's Balanced Ghost core. The movesets are barely different and it plays essentially the same as his core. However, if you would like to make a core w/ some of the mons in the "Works with" category that would be awesome!

Last edited:
Ghost Defensive Core

Nelson (Golurk) @ Assault Vest
Ability: No Guard/ Iron Fist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge/Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Dynamic Punch/Fire Punch

E-Series (Aegislash) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
IVS: 0 Atk
Calm Nature
- King's Shield
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball

Zeno (Sableye) @ Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Introduction:

The way this core works is pretty much self explanatory. The sableye set is to take many of the physical moves aimed at mono ghost teams and with max def sableye can also take knock offs and deal with many physical dark types. Taunt is to hopefully stop the opponent from setting up, inflicting status or stopping entry hazards. Knock off is a great support move as it can get rid of eviolites and other items making some walls go down easier. Will o wisp cripples physical attackers and recover is for longevity. There are ways to experiment and alter this set, one that i know of besides finding a better spread is using confide which lets sableye take special hits better but you have aegis for that. Aegis being back doesn't have to be an offensive presence for ghost as its most popular set in ubers was more defensive and it can wall a lot of the meta with this spread. 0 ivs and - atk makes it so that foul play wont break sub and the rest is just to take care of special threats aegis can wall. Finally golurk is here just to deal damage to other pokes. With AV, golurk lives much longer and its pretty much better than any other item on golurk as it lacks the bulk to live long with just 252 hp. Fire punch can 3HKO skarm with iron fist while dynamic punch can be used for killing off dark types. One of the most notable things this golurk set does is live hits from a special dark type and getting rid of them or scaring them out to their wall. Aegis and sableye cover each others weaknesses pretty well as sableye can burn most physical ground types and aegis can take special hits and fairy hits for sableye.

This core plays differently from AFD's balanced core
Balanced Core (Ghost)

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Sableye @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Foul Play

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Brave Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword

OR

EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 244 SpA
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Introduction: Ghost is another underrated core, and one of my favorites. Here is a balanced core that combines offense with defense, which Aegislash actually quite literally epitomizes.

How to use: Sableye is an amazing Pokemon that is hard to deal with for many monotypes, and can stall many Pokemon to death. It is weak to some things, however, such as fairy-type moves, which Aegislash can happily take. Spiritomb can absorb status aimed at Sableye and Aegislash and it can also be a late game cleaner after its checks are taken care of. In many games you will find Sableye and Spiritomb able to shuffle around the opponent's team crippling and softening them leading up to a sweep with Aegislash. Hazards also pair well with this core, whether it be Froslass and spikes, or Golurk and stealth rocks. Be mindful of Spiritomb; be sure not to just start the match off by trying to boost and sweep with it. Use it like a Suicune; the Smogon set for it is does happen to be called CroTomb for a reason, :).

Good partners:
  • Chandelure
  • Jellicent
  • Golurk
  • Froslass
  • Banette
  • Gourgeist
  • Cofagrigus
  • Dusclops

Charizard y's STAB boosted, sun boosted fire blast will easily decimate all 3 members of this core with ease, not to mention they cannot retaliate with anything either.
How to play around: You will have to deal with Charizard with the other members of your team, Chandelure with flash fire does a nice job taking all of Charizard's common coverage moves and hits it neutrally with Shadow ball.

Charizard x can easily set up on Spiritomb, and can OHKO Sableye and Aegislash with Flare Blitz.
How to play around: Mindgames with King's shield can help soften Charizard for spiritomb to handle. Mega Banette can hit it hard and finish it off with priority, or it can cripple it with Thunder Wave or have it kill itself with Destiny Bond.

Strong Dark-type moves can 2HKO all 3 members of this core and also every ghost Pokemon in the game, as unfortunately there is nothing that is both neutral to dark type moves and has high defense stats.
How to play around: Usually the case is kill it before it kills you. Scarf Chandelure can kill Greninja, for example. In other cases there is some hope, for example Sableye can burn things like Bisharp.
In how aegislash and sableye are meant to do completely different things. Sableye now takes physical hits and will go down very easily to special ones and aegislash doesnt sweep, instead it toxic stalls special threats to the team

Threats to The Core

Fire Types-
The core cant do much to fire types as they are immune to getting burnt by sableye making him dead weight and aegislash is weak to fire. Golurk can live a special hit and snag a KO but it wont be alive for very long with sun boosted physical fire hits. Outside of that it depends on what you have on the rest of your team. Jellicent is really bulky and can take many hits from fire in general and chandelure with flash fire can always switch in on an obvious fire move but you have to be careful of them being worn out.

Dark Types- Dark types that are physical tend to get walled by sableye, but special ones can pretty much switch in at any point and guarantee that something will take a lot of damage or die. Aegislashs lack of recovery makes this matchup worse as it can only take so much before going down. Golurk will need a free switch in to scare out the threat. Another thing in the dark category is pursuit. This core appreciates being able to switch between its pokes to get to sableye for physical dark hits and if they get trapped the team will fall much quicker.

Garchomp-Mega- The core doesn't appreciate taking hits from both sides and one of the most prominent ones is garchomp, which can draco sableye and eq aegislash.

Good Partners-
Jellicent
Chandelure
Gengar
Doublade (Its good, trust me)
Dusclops
Cofagrigus
Banette-Mega

Last edited:
Defensive Core (dragon)

zyg.gif

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

goodra.gif

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

kyurem-black.gif

Kyurem-Black @ life orb/choice scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe or alternatively 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- ice beam
- earth power/outrage
- roost/iron head

How does this core work exactly?

Using Kyurem-b to sponge ice attacks and being able to handle fairies are a major plus in my book pairing that with goodra.
You're able to patch up Zygardes weak points one of them being a four times weakness to ice and fairies. Although it can tank some special attacks, so long as its not stab and couple that with Goodra's special bulk makes it even more amazing, being able to tank fairy moves and removing major threats to Zygarde such as Togekiss and Whimmiscott which they both completely wall Zygardes moves

Other team mates to consider running to help support Zygarde more or to buff your team overall are.

Using Druddigon as a lead Pokemon, lead Druddigon is good in particular due to it have access to glare Stealth rocks which can cripple your opponents team from turn one while also setting up hazards.

Another good team mate to consider would be Latios, Latios can be either used as a defogger where you can also run Dragonite for the synergy. Another set to consider would be scarf Latios, scarf Latios can be used effectively to speed creep your opponent and also trick your opponents Pokemon if they're setting up in your face.

And lastly another pokemon to consider would be Latias, if you choose to run Latios as your scarfer you can run Latias as a defogger, one thing to mention that Latias has access to that Latios doesn't is healing wish, healing wish can save you from losing the game being able to fully recovery your Pokemon
and status conditions, while also keeping up the offensive pressure by using a life orb with two stab moves.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting another core, but I can't add this one to the OP because it is essentially the same as AFD's Balanced Ghost core. The movesets are barely different and it plays essentially the same as his core. However, if you would like to make a core w/ some of the mons in the "Works with" category that would be awesome!
I would have one with Cofragrigus, but Sableye can't learn Hex. D:

Here's a couple of Fairy cores that I've played with and had some decent success with. I use all of the pokemon listed on my Fairy team, but I've seperated the offense from the defense to keep it clean. I know there will be critics of these setups, but as most would say...don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

I've included replays to show how this team works when both cores work together.

UPDATE (10-17/2014): Post edited to include standard "252'd" sets, my personal (recommended) sets, and Checks/Counters. Post will be edited to include good partners later on as I'm still testing the team as a whole.

Standard Core Sets:

Censorship (Klefki) @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave
- Draining Kiss/Spikes

Stallancie (Diancie) @ Enigma Berry OR Light Clay
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD /
Relaxed Nature
- Reflect/Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room/Diamond Storm
- Light Screen/Toxic/Moonblast

PURPOSE: Set up defenses and pivot to Offense.

Klefki sets up your screens and Diancie gets in the Stealth Rock to help your offense get set up with little hassle. Aromatisse or Florges would make a good addition to this core as they can use Aromatherapy to cure status ailments on your team.

Klefki is your starting point for this team as it lays the "foundation" for your Fairy team to either put a serious hurting on your opponent's team or set up and sweep it altogether.

Draining Kiss is for recovery purposes when necessary. Thunder Wave neutralizes some faster threats and can help give you a clean set up when/if the hax take effect. It's best to run one of the screens first to help you get a clean set up.

The main purpose of the Diancie set is to lay down the SR and pivot to your offense, but can serve as a versatile pokemon with mutiple purposes. You can also use Diancie to set up the screens should your Klefki get KO'd but it will take a couple of turns to get fully set up, hence the need for Trick Room. Alternatively, you can also use Diancie to stall and wear down your opponent using Toxic and Protect. The Relaxed Nature helps this set hold up well to some of the strongest Physical attacks from Steel, Ground, Water, and Grass types and helps you get the first move when you use Trick Room. The offensive moves on Diancie helps it defend itself when necessary but optional.

Heartbreaker (Mawile-Mega) @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 HP /252 Atk/4 Def
Careful Nature
- Iron Head/Fire Fang
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

AND

Random Cloud (Togekiss) @ Wide Lens OR Wise Glasses
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed/
Timid Nature
- Air Slash/Psyshock/HP Ground
- Thunder Wave/Nasty Plot/Roost
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Heat Wave

OR

7-11 Slurpee (Slurpuff) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Belly Drum
- Aromatherapy/Cotton Guard
- Play Rough

PURPOSE: Over-power and/or outspeed your opponent significantly.

Mega Mawile is your standard set with max investments in HP and Attack. The Attack boost from Huge Power ensures every hit Mega Mawile makes will leave a mark or even OHKO your opponent and Swords Dance will double that significantly. I suggest giving it the Hyper Cutter ability (pre-Mega Evolution) to avoid Attack drops from Intimidate. Strong Physical or Special attackers like Landorus will waste Mega Mawile without a hitch, so make sure Klefki's screens are set up first before switching Mega Mawile in. Pokemon like Heatran, Aggron, and Steelix will wall Mega Mawile, so having Togekiss in this core is essential.

Togekiss, is your hard-hitting, fast-flying Special attacker designed to get around Steel and/or Poison types and pokemon with low Special Defense (like Skarmony, Mega Aggron and Steelix). You can give it Wide Lens to boost accuracy of Air Slash and Heat Wave or Fire Blast, or Wise Glasses if you'd rather have the extra kick in Sp. Atk. power (if you don't want to use Nasty Plot).

Slurpuff should not be switched in when the screens aren't up because of its low defenses. The HP EV setting is to ensure Sitrus Berry activates after using Belly Drum. Aromatherapy can help alleviate Slurpuff of Paralysis/Burn/Poison so you can get the the best use of its Speed boost from Unburden and maxed out Attack, but Facade gives you a boosted alternative if necessary.

This set should ONLY be used after the Defensive core sets up the screens and Stealth Rock, but if your Defensive core gets hit with Taunt or Tricked with a Choice Scarf, do what you must!

My Recommended Sets

NOTE: The EV settings in my recommended sets are to my personal preferences as I like to even out defenses and have each stat (where appropriate) end on either a 0 or 5. Set the stats/EVs to your preferences.

Modest Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave
- Draining Kiss/Spikes

Rock Hoe (Diancie) @ Enigma Berry
EVs: 56 HP / 136 Atk / 16 Def / 136 SpA / 16 SpD / 20 Spe
Serious Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stealth Rock
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast

PURPOSE: Same as the Standard Balanced/Defensive core with a balanced transition to offense.

My recommended Klefki set is no different from the Standard set in any way. Its purposes remain the same and should be used as such.

My recommended Diancie set has generous investments in Attack and Special Attack to be offensive when necessary. Remember that Diancie should be switched in AFTER the screens are set up and it's main purpose is to lay down Stealth Rock and pivot to your Offensive core. HP Fire helps Diancie deal with most Steel types. Diamond Storm can deal with Volcaronas and most Flying-types, and Moonblast is a good choice to deal with Sableyes that can nerf Diancie's Attack power. Ground/Steel/Grass/Water attacks bring great pain to Diancie, hence the need for Enigma Berry so it can stand tall after getting hit super-effectively.

EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 16 Def / 152 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head/Fire Fang
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

AND

Random Cloud (Togekiss) @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpA / 36 SpD / 164 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave/Nasty Plot/Roost
- Dazzling Gleam

OR

EVs: 4 HP / 148 Atk / 8 Def / 96 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Belly Drum
- Cotton Guard/Aromatherapy
- Play Rough

PURPOSE: Wreck your opponent with strong attacks and tank hits if need be.

This set is designed with longevity in mind, allowing them to be hard hitters that can eat a hit if need be. Slurpuff is the obvious exception to this but its Unburden ability allows it to be a swift, heavy hitter when it sets up successfully. This core should be used AFTER the defensive core has set up the screens and Stealth Rock.

Togekiss is designed to be the counter to Steel-type pokemon. Either suggested Fire-type attack will work, but I use Flamethrower for accuracy. Thunder Wave neutralizes some faster threats which you can then paraflinch with Air Slash. Dazzling Gleam for STAB. The bulk that Togekiss has (with my EV settings) gives it comparable bulk to that of Dragonite and the screens can act as a Multiscale allowing it to hold up to a super effective attack, get the Weakness Policy boosts, and possibly sweep your opponent. Roost will allow for Togekiss to keep fighting when the going gets tough and help you keep those Weakness Policy boosts (thanks to Scpinion for the suggestion!).

Mega Mawile is basically a carbon copy of most "generic" Mega Mawile setups, only with a generous investment in Sp. Def. to help it hold up against some strong special attackers. Fire Fang is a great alternative for Iron Head, but I prefer Iron Head for the good STAB as it works better against pokemon like Azumarill and Carracosta who eat Fire attacks with no sweat. Ground/Fire attacks and burns will hurt it a bit hence the need for Swords Dance. Sucker Punch is a good priority "finish 'em off" move. Play Rough is a must for good STAB and possibly reducing your opponent's Atk. stat.

As for Slurpluff, you have to be careful if you pull it out when Stealth Rocks or Spikes/Tox Spikes are on your side of the field; it's best to bring it out if the field is clean. Aromatherapy helps cure status if you have to swap it in when Toxic Spikes are out. The 4 EVs for HP are to ensure that the Sitrus Berry activates when you use Belly Drum. Cotton Guard is a good move to help raise Defense when you need to ward off physical Steel and Poison attacks. Facade will work wonders if you get burned/poisoned/paralyzed.

Defensive Core: Pokemon with Shadow Tag or Mean Look could stop the core in its tracks as it prevents switching. Taunt, Switcheroo, or being Tricked with a Choice item will require a quick change to offense, so be prepared to do so if that happens.

Pokemon like Landorus (either forme) or Swampert are dangerous to the core as they're immune to Klefki's Thunder Wave, can send out some Stealth Rocks of their own, and then RoarRock to force switches and wear you down. In that case, you may need to pivot directly to offense by switching to Togekiss to check them.

Offensive Core:
Pranksters will give Slurpuff a hard time with status issues and pokemon with Unaware ability nerf Slurpuff considerably and may use Toxic in return. Having Facade helps overcome this (if your opponent isn't a Ghost type), but Toxic will put you on a timer. Using Aromatherapy when your opponent uses Protect to cure status (along with good predictions) help considerably.

Pokemon like Terrakion will do major harm to Togekiss if the screens aren't up with its high Attack and Rock STAB, so its necessary to have the screens up before switching to it. Stealth Rock also hurts a bit as well

Arcanine, Gyarados, and a few others can check/counter Mega Mawile with their Intimidate ability, slightly nerfing its Attack power.

REPLAYS:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-166967479

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-168514285

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-169847024

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-171150049

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-172774833

Last edited:

scpinion

Here's a couple of Fairy cores that I've played with and had some decent success with. I use all of the pokemon listed on my Fairy team, but I've seperated the offense from the defense to keep it clean. I know there will be critics of these setups, but as most would say...don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

NOTE:
The EV settings are to my personal preferences as I like to even out defenses and have each stat (where appropriate) end on either a 0 or 5. Set the stats/EVs to your preferences.

I've included replays to show how this team works when both cores work together.

This post is under construction as I'm testing other pokemon to fit in with either of these cores.

Modest Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave
- Draining Kiss/Spikes

(Is there a Diancie sprite available?)
Rock Hoe (Diancie) @ Enigma Berry
EVs: 56 HP / 136 Atk / 16 Def / 136 SpA / 16 SpD / 20 Spe
Serious Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stealth Rock
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast

Explanation: Klefki sets up your screens and Diancie gets in the Stealth Rock to help your offense get set up with little hassle. Aromatisse or Florges would make a good addition to this core as they can use Aromatherapy to cure status ailments on your team.

Klefki is your starting point for this team as it lays the "foundation" for your Fairy team to either put a serious hurting on your opponent's team or set up and sweep it altogether.

Draining Kiss is for recovery purposes when necessary. Thunder Wave neutralizes some faster threats and can help give you a clean set up when/if the hax take effect. It's best to run one of the screens first to help you get a clean set up. Ground/Fire attacks, Taunt, and Trick/Switcheroo users mess things up horribly, so be prepared to change strategy should that happen.

The offensive moves on Diancie helps it defend itself. Other than that, it should only be used to lay down the SR and pivot to your offense. Diancie definitely comes in handy for offense against some Bug and Ice teams, but Ground/Steel/Grass/Water attacks bring great pain to Diancie. Let Klefki get the screens up before switching.

Pokemon with Shadow Tag or Mean Look could stop this core (and your whole team) in its tracks.

EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 16 Def / 152 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head/Fire Fang
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

AND

Random Cloud (Togekiss) @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpA / 36 SpD / 164 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave/Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam

OR

EVs: 4 HP / 148 Atk / 8 Def / 96 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Belly Drum
- Cotton Guard
- Play Rough

Explanation: These three are mainly designed with longevity in mind, allowing them to be hard hitters that can eat a hit if need be. Slurpuff is the obvious exception to this, but its Unburden ability allows it to be a swift, heavy hitter when it sets up successfully. This core should be used AFTER the defensive core has set up the screens and Stealth Rock.

Togekiss is designed to be the counter to Steel-type pokemon. Either suggested Fire-type attack will work, but I use Flamethrower for accuracy. Thunder Wave neutralizes some faster threats which you can then paraflinch with Air Slash. Dazzling Gleam for STAB. The bulk that Togekiss has (with my EV settings) gives it comparable bulk to that of Dragonite and the screens can act as a Multiscale allowing it to hold up to a super effective attack, get the Weakness Policy boosts, and possibly sweep your opponent.

Mega Mawile is basically a carbon copy of most "generic" Mega Mawile setups, only with a generous investment in Sp. Def. to help it hold up against some strong special attackers. Fire Fang is a great alternative for Iron Head, but I prefer Iron Head for the good STAB as it works better against pokemon like Azumarill and Carracosta who eat Fire attacks with no sweat. Ground/Fire attacks and burns will hurt it a bit, hence the necessity of Swords Dance. Sucker Punch is a good priority "finish 'em off" move. Play Rough is a must for good STAB and possibly reducing your opponent's Atk. stat.

As for Slurpluff, you have to be careful if you pull it out when Stealth Rocks or Spikes/Tox Spikes are on your side of the field; it's best to bring it out if the field is clean. The 4 EVs for HP are to ensure that the Sitrus Berry activates when you use Belly Drum. Cotton Guard was just thrown in, but it's a good move to help raise Defense when you need to ward off physical Steel and Poison attacks. Facade will work wonders if you get burned/poisoned/paralyzed. Pokemon with Unaware will nerf this pokemon.

Once again, it's best to pivot to this core AFTER your defensive core has set up the screens and Stealth Rock. Azumarill (who I can't stand) and Gardevoir make good partners/substitutions for either member of this core.

REPLAYS:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-166967479

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-168514285

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-169847024

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-171150049

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-172774833
Hey mate, thanks for posting the cores from your team! I'll link this in the OP and sprite gallery, but would you please add a couple things for me before I do?

First, I know you mention you like creating your own EV spreads, which is all fine and good; but, would you please put a standard EV spread with each poke to accompany your preferred spread. Many people use the damage calculator to help inform their play within the course of a battle, which relies on a more standard approach with EV spreads to be most effective.

Alternatively, if you can post calc's that demonstrate the relevant OHKO's and 2HKO's your spreads avoid/create then that will work.

The main goal is for people playing your core to know the threats each member can check/KO with the given EV spreads. If you use standard EV spreads, the damage calculator becomes their resource for this information; however, with non-generic spreads you need to inform the community why that spread is beneficial (beyond just balanced defenses). Also, you place speed EV's on each 'mon; make sure to let us know what threats you're speed creeping if you opt for explaining your EV spreads over adding standards spreads.

Lastly, I like your idea with Weakness Policy Togekiss, but will you slash Roost on that set. Roost will give it better longevity to continue utilizing your Weakness Policy boosts.

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/diancie.gif

Hello, My name is Ghast and this is my first post.
Here is my defensive ghost core.

Dusky (Dusclops) @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Pain Split
- Night Shade/Seismic Toss
- Will-O-Wisp

Ocean King (Jellicent) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Acid Armor
- Toxic

Groot (Trevenant) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Horn Leech

Introduction: Ghost is my favorite type and sadly it's an underrated core. I figured I would post my version of a defensive core. This core has successfully worked for me time and time again.

Click the hide button below for information on how to use ;)

How to use: Dusclops is one of my favorite pokemon and one of the better defensive walls in the ghost meta. With its awesome defense, it can tank some of the greatest physical attacks. I added Eviolite to optomize its defensive power. Pain split is great for recovery and will-o-wisp cripples the opponent even more. Using counter with Dusclops can be tricky, but if used correctly, it can be a big pay off. Now lets move on to Jellicent. Jellicent is a great special wall. Recover + Toxic make it a great toxic staller. The great thing about Jellicent is that opponents will most likely get annoyed at the special walling power of Jellicent, so they are most likely to switch to a physical attacker. This is the prime opportunity for you to use Acid Armor & Scald. Acid Armor boosts the Defensive power of Jellicent and Scald is great for burns. Now I added Trevenant to this core because it can easily take status that is directed at Jellicent or Dusclops. Lum berry + Harvest allows you to continuously take on status while also giving you the opportunity to use Rest for recovery. I added Will-O-Wisp and Leech seed to it for additional support moves. All in all, this core keeps most things in check and provides great coverage for each other.

Threats: This core is unfortunately threatened by Sableye and most taunters. One good way to get around Sableye and those taunt threats is by partnering this core with Sableye itself. That way you can cripple the other team while keeping your team safe. Other big threats are "Knock Off". With Knock off on most teams this day, another way to get around that is Sableye or Spritiomb.

Advantages of this core:
Jellicent is able to wall most special attacks + recover
Dusclops is able to wall most physical attacks + pain split & will-o-wisp
Trevenant is able to take status directed at Jellicent & Dusclops + lum berry/harvest

Disadvantages:
Taunt + Knock off + Trick are the biggest threats to this core. If you have Sableye with speed EVs, you can easily counter those threats.

Good partners:
  • Sableye: Best partner for this core. Provides coverage for taunters. Make sure to add some Speed EVs if you're going to partner Sableye with this core.
  • Mega-Banette: Mega Banette is a great partner for this core. It also provides coverage for taunters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)