1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Monotype Grass (yes, really!)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by KevinJohnKaisar, Jun 25, 2013.

1. KevinJohnKaisar

KevinJohnKaisar

Yes, you read that right. Monotype Grass.

In a metagame where the Grass Type is seriously underrated, with only a select few being granted the status of being in the OU Tier, I decided to get off the beaten track and do something off-beat. So, I made this team, designed not only to be a Monotype Grass team, but one that can hold its own against most of the tier and even take down the common threats, and actually function out of the Monotype sub-tier as well.

So without further ado, here is the team!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Analysis:

[​IMG]
    Whimsicott @ Heat Rock
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Impish Nature
    - Sunny Day
    - Encore
    - Leech Seed
    - U-turn

This little demon is there as my wonderful lead to set Sunny Day up. Yep, nobody expects Sunny Day on Whimsicott. Sunny Day is essential for two of the main attackers, Shiftry and Venusaur, which both rely on Chlorophyll. The other moves are pretty standard.
    However, if I see Ninetales in Team Preview, I will not lead with Whimsicott, but apply a different strategy.

[​IMG]
    Sceptile @ Flying Gem
    Trait: Unburden
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Acrobatics
    - Earthquake
    - Leaf Blade

Sceptile is a beast. As it is, Acrobatics + Flying Gem has insane power, top that off with a Swords Dance boost and you're suddenly blazing past everything with 240 Base Speed. Leaf Blade is your typical STAB which obliterates stuff even without a crit, while Earthquake rounds off the set for coverage. It is difficult, however, to set this set up, as Sceptile is pretty frail, but when you do, you can be pretty sure something's going down.

[​IMG]
    Shiftry @ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Rash Nature
    - Growth
    - Dark Pulse
    - Giga Drain
    - Low Kick
    Shiftry is another unique monster which relies on Chlorophyll to boost its Speed to respectable levels, and Growth to boost its offenses, making it a killing machine. Again, frailty is an issue, especially due to limited sun from Whimsicott, and the Life Orb doesn't exactly help. It's also destroyed by U-Turn and the occasional X-Scissor. Priority is the thorn to the rose that is Shiftry, in which case Dark Pulse can always be swapped with Sucker Punch, although I quite like the flinch hax Dark Pulse has.

[​IMG]
    Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Power Whip
    - Gyro Ball
    - Bulldoze
    - Explosion
    The Grass type that features on almost every OU team finds its place here too, however with a different set. This set relies on the element of surprise, while everyone will be expecting a support set. I'd forsake the Choice Band for Leftovers, since this guy comes out mostly late-game, which is not the best time to be locked in to a move. I can't count the number of times I was locked in to Gyro Ball and had Jellicent taking hits like there was no tomorrow. Since everyone expects it to be banded too, I can use the element of surprise.

[​IMG]
    Virizion @ Life Orb
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Close Combat
    - Leaf Blade
    - Stone Edge
    The main reason Virizion exists is to get rid of stuff once the sun goes down. It outspeeds most of the stuff I've battled, and puts dents in teams. Swords Dance is the optional set up, because Virizion manages to OHKO stuff even while unboosted; this proves useful when I can outspeed and KO stuff which can take me down. It also has Stone Edge to KO Volcarona, which is a common switch-in.

[​IMG]
    Venusaur @ Life Orb
    EVs: 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
    - Growth
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Sludge Bomb
    Venusaur too is a common Grass type, and relies on sun to sweep up stuff. This set is no exception, and it has the standard moves to round off coverage nicely and take down a large number of monsters. Common switch-ins are the Lati@s, though, which don't really take much damage and can Psyshock Venusaur, KOing it easily. If I'm lucky, I can switch into Shiftry if it's still alive and render Psyshock useless, giving me a free turn to boost if Latios is Scarfed.

It's not all sunshine and daisies, though.

Not sunshine at all, with Whimsicott being able to provide only 8 turns of sun, which is nowhere near enough to set up and defeat an entire team of Pokémon, thus reinforcing the importance of Virizion and Sceptile. The Chlorophyll duo are pretty much useless outside of sun, since they're outsped by pretty much everything. If your opponent has a Ninetales though, they've pretty much handed you the victory.

Honorable Mentions

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sawsbuck and Ludicolo deserve to be mentioned, since both can also fit in quite well in the team, replacing Ferrothorn. Ludicolo serves as a switch-in to Fire types and can then proceed to Surf/Scald them, while Sawsbuck is a reliable Chlorophyll sweeper that can also dent teams.

Notable Threats: (this section will be updated in course of time and testing)

[​IMG]
    Scarf Infernape spells death for this team, as it can outspeed Venusaur and unboosted Sceptile, its only counters, and then wreak havoc on everything else.
  2. Im Skalayle

Im Skalayle

I like the mono team but Sawsbuck would be way better.

EVs: 252Hp / 252 A/ 4 Speed or you could switch it with Max speed and attack
    Timid Adamant
    - Swords Dance
    - Horn Leech
    - Jump Kick
    - Return

Horn Leech stab +2 w/LO can kill a defensive gliscor and with Horn Leech it can get its health back to cancel out Life Orb.
  3. Pikachuun

Pikachuun

I use Sawsbuck, and the ability to outspeed Venusaur is very valuable. Set up a SD on the switch to Venusaur/Heatran/Something else, and outspeed and murder everything without priority. 100% win right here.
  4. Im Skalayle

Im Skalayle

you got ninja'd :]]
  5. Pikachuun

Pikachuun

I was just telling you it was a good idea :L
  6. Neeko

Neeko

I honestly don't know why people don't use Sawsbuck over Venasaur. Its Faster, has better coverage and after a SD can check alot of common threats. I use mine on my drought team and it has scored me a lot of crucial kills.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)