Other Monotype Normal team

I decided to make a normal type team due to them only sharing a single weakness, making it easier to construct a solid team. I started out with a totally different team, but it ended up shifting toward this.

Bibarel @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Scald
- Sleep Talk
- Protect

Not the focus of my team, bibarel is my answer to physical setup sweepers such as azumarril and SD mega Scizor. Max bulk and lefties allows bibarel to turn 2hkos into 3hkos, which helps him get a burn with scald. Rest and rest are there for reliable recovery, while sleep talk lets bibby burn sleep turns with protect, or continue to try for a burn.

Diggersby @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Return
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Diggersby boasts a helpful immunity to electric moves and has good synergy with both heliolisk and pidget thanks to volturn and electric immunity respectively. Maximum speed and a scarf allow diggy plenty of supprise K.O's as most people expect banded or SD variations. Diggersby is my only physical attacker, which does mean that I have to try and keep him unburned and healthy.

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt

Heliolisk is a really solid poke in general, and helps immensely against mono water teams. High speed and good coverage iron out the gaps in mega pidgeot's movepool, also appreciating the ground immunity he has. Dry skin can be a bit of a liability against fire teams, espcially those that have ninetails or mega Zard y, but the water immunity makes it well worth it.

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Pidgeot is an excellent special attacker that has often allowed me to sweep several mono fighting or grass teams. Hurricane is used for obvious purposes, as is heatwave. Defog may seem like an odd choice, but no normal type seems to learn rapid spin, and pidgeot is the poke that cares most about rocks anyway, so he's generally removing rocks for himself. Roost is a little less useful, but it can help negate stealth rock damage by taking advantage of switches or status moves.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock

Chansey is my special wall, status healer and lead rocks setter. Softboiled is more reliable than wish, which is important due to the lack of lefties and full special investment. Heal bell is used to keep status off diggersby and mega pidgeot. Stealth rocks are generally not used right away against mono steel teams, since it's often better to lead with diggersby. The lack of toxic can be annoying when taking down walls, but seismic toss does do solid damage against switch-ins.

Wigglytuff @ Leftovers
Ability: Cute Charm
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Protect

Wigglytuff is supposed to be my physical wall and and answer to fighting types. Wish and protect provide reliable recovery, and a way to health teammates if the need be. Thunder wave slows down speedy phsical attackers and seismic toss allows me to do damage without having to pass on paralysing them.

Changes I am considering

Wigglytuff ---> audino mega. Wigglytuff is surprisingly un-bulky despite his full investment and high base hp, and he really can't absorb knockoff well due to how much he loves lefties. Audino has much better bulk, so she seems like a better option, but it means that I have to give up on mega pidgeot, the one reason I have not made the change.

Pidgeot ---> Noctowl. Noctowl has excellent special bulk and would thus make a better defogger, but his offensive capabilities are pathetic. The other problem is that chansey is already my special wall, and this would shift my team toward stall based.

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi there, glad to see a monotype team. However, I do have a few major suggestions that will improve this team.

1) Give Diggersby Life Orb/Choice Band instead of Choice Scarf, it needs all the power it can get and it doesn't need the extra speed. Also, give Diggersby 1uick attack instead of uturn for priority revenge killing.

2) Noctowl is terrible, don't use it ever. Audino-Mega is good on some teams but don't use that here either. Instead, change Wigglytuff to Ditto. Ditto should have 252 HP, the rest of it's EVs don't really matter because when it transforms it only keeps its HP stat and the rest is copied. Ditto will help you check things that otherwise flat out destroy your team (hi terrakion!) and Breloom. It is really useful for a Normal Monotype like this that doesn't have a stally build (M-audino)

3) Bibarel isn't really viable in Monotype, instead try Porygon 2.
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

This set gives a lot more bulk than just chansey, and can sponge hits on the physical side while Chansey covers special.

Good luck with your team man!

Noctowl does have some pretty good special defenses tho, and mega pidgeot is REALLY hard to Defog with. :/ I'll trust your judgement I guess, but it's still a bit of an issue having to Defog with a speedy special attacker.

I'll definitely use ditto, but I'm fairly sure breloom is wrecked by mega pidgeot if rocks are up to break any sash variants.

Bibarel is actually excellent from my experience, having saved me from several SD scizor, a calm mind sableye and a belly drum azumarril, but I guess ditto does it better.

Also, having another eviolite user makes me REALLY suspceptible to knock off, which is why I wanted to use mega audino in the first place, since pidgeot doesn't really like taking knock off repeatedly.

EDIT: Knockoff has been a MASSIVE nuisance, as pidgeot is having trouble taking them, and things like weaville are impossible to stop knocking off. Right now, the only options I can see are mega audinno or lopunny, but that means I have to forgo either Defog or one of my other team members.

ADDITIONAL EDIT: Here's an example of my having trouble - this guy's electross was threatening my entire team due to knockoff and power charge http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-273762482

Last edited:
Noctowl does have some pretty good special defenses tho, and mega pidgeot is REALLY hard to Defog with. :/ I'll trust your judgement I guess, but it's still a bit of an issue having to Defog with a speedy special attacker.

I'll definitely use ditto, but I'm fairly sure breloom is wrecked by mega pidgeot if rocks are up to break any sash variants.

Bibarel is actually excellent from my experience, having saved me from several SD scizor, a calm mind sableye and a belly drum azumarril, but I guess ditto does it better.

Also, having another eviolote user makes me REALLY suspceptible to knock off, which is why I wanted to use mega audino in the first place, since pidgeot doesn't really like taking knock off repeatedly.
Tbh if you want a non mega defogger try out staraptor but its either that or pidgeot thats the best defogger for normal.

If you want a mega who can sorta eat knock offs try Mega Lopunny, its defenses arent the great but it helps against ghost and audino is for stall oriented teams.

While Chansey + Porygon 2 is suseptible to knock off, it still is practicaly the best core for normal and one of the best cores out of all the types.

Bibarel sucks, like Josh said dont use it. Ditto is there to cover against set up sweepers, and scizor shouldnt be a problem since you can always switch something in, a healthy mega pidgeot survives bp and ohkos with heat wave and if it sets up porygon 2 can rek it with foul play, and if it carries superpower then ditto can do a lot of damage to it. However mega scizor is one if normals biggest problems still, but even that cant justify bibarel.

Ok, here's the updated team:

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

Staraptor @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog

I know banded packs more power, but I didn't want to lock myself into Defog, which meant having to pack roost to help negate move and LO recoil. Double edge and BB are there for stab. Jolly for maximum speed, to help me outspeed anything I can roost up on like ancient power or rock slide. Intimidate is chosen due to reckless being incompatible, and gives star some decent physical staying power.

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch

PuP for attack boosts, since I don't have any setup sweepers, fake out to ensure I have a way to guarantee a good knockoff absorber. Return and HJK are standard. I was tempted to use drain punch over HJK, but in the end I decided power would be more important, most of my team can already heal themselves.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Transform

Also put some evs in speed in case transform fails on a zoroark and I need to transform manually because he's life orb, on low health, and just used a move that was either ghost type or was weak enough for ditto to take it. Yes, not likely, but still more helful than nothing ;).

Last edited:

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi Potatauros, you have a really cool Normal team going here. It has certainly come a long way from the first version you posted!

I'd like to suggest two changes that will shore up the defensive backbone of this team!

First, switch Discharge on Porygon2 to HP Fire and change Trace to Download.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic
- Recover
- Ice Beam

This allows Porygon2 to check SD Mega-Scizor, which is a major threat to your team. HP Fire also 2hko's Bisharp, but Lopunny is already a good answer to it. There is no need for Discharge because LO Heliolisk covers Water teams and Ice Beam+HP Fire+Toxic will cover Flying cores just as well as BoltBeam coverage.

Second, I'd recommend going for a Bulky Staraptor set over the one you've opted for.

Staraptor @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn/Close Combat/Feather Dance

In my opinion Normal teams are best played with a "Hit-and-Run" mentality where you constantly pivot around with your defensive core until you can find an opening to bring in an offensive powerhouse to take out a 'mon. Rarely will you outright sweep an opponent. This Staraptor set facilitates that playstyle perfectly. It is easily able to take the Knock Off's that Porygon2/Chansey don't want to deal with and can consistently Defog throughout a match to keep your field free of hazards while you're pivoting around. I like to run U-turn in the final slot to pivot into my attackers on forced switches, but Superpower or Feather Dance are other options depending on how you like to play.

Here is an example of Staraptor pivoting around on a water team to bring in Diggersby safely: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-271947141

Last edited:
Ok, here's the updated team:

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

Staraptor @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog

I know banded packs more power, but I didn't want to lock myself into Defog, which meant having to pack roost to help negate move and LO recoil. Double edge and BB are there for stab. Jolly for maximum speed, to help me outspeed anything I can roost up on like ancient power or rock slide. Intimidate is chosen due to reckless being incompatible, and gives star some decent physical staying power.

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch

PuP for attack boosts, since I don't have any setup sweepers, fake out to ensure I have a way to guarantee a good knockoff absorber. Return and HJK are standard. I was tempted to use drain punch over HJK, but in the end I decided power would be more important, most of my team can already heal themselves.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Transform

Also put some evs in speed in case transform fails on a zoroark and I need to transform manually because he's life orb, on low health, and just used a move that was either ghost type or was weak enough for ditto to take it. Yes, not likely, but still more helful than nothing ;).
Also make sure to give your ditto ivs for a hidden power, when you transform you still have your own hidden power, some of the most common hidden powers are HP Ice and HP Fire.

For the ditto use 0 or 1 iv for speed (depending on the hidden power) and 0 speed evs with a minus nature, the reason is because zoroark/anything you dont transform on will still outspeed you, and it helps more in ditto on ditto battles since you want to be the last one so you die last from struggle recoil.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

It's a bit of a bittersweet feeling, since I was using this guy as my ferrothorn switchin for trace iron barbs. He'll be able to do it better now, but trace really has been helpful, the most notable one being trace levitate allowing him to avoid earthquake.

Staraptor @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog

Went with u turn for volt-turn with helioisk, for electric and ground moves respectively, along with any strong special water moves, espcially scald.

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Return
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch

I chose drain punch after a few games where lopunny was unable to sweep due to being worn down. She's more of a late game cleaner anyway, as that's when she can score k'os with PuP, drain punch complementing it nicely.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Transform

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

It's a bit of a bittersweet feeling, since I was using this guy as my ferrothorn switchin for trace iron barbs. He'll be able to do it better now, but trace really has been helpful, the most notable one being trace levitate allowing him to avoid earthquake.

Staraptor @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog

Went with u turn for volt-turn with helioisk, for electric and ground moves respectively, along with any strong special water moves, espcially scald.

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Return
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch

I chose drain punch after a few games where lopunny was unable to sweep due to being worn down. She's more of a late game cleaner anyway, as that's when she can score k'os with PuP, drain punch complementing it nicely.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Transform
You know you can edit your original post right? Its on the bottom left part of the post and it looks like:
SubMindRaikou, Today at 1:54 PM Edit Delete
(You click the edit part)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)