Resource Monotype Sample Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I appreciate the enthusiasm for submitting teams with the new megas, but I'm going to give the meta a little while to settle down before evaluating any teams with Mega Diancie, Mega Latias, Mega Altaria, and the other less relevant new megas.

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey, I appreciate the enthusiasm for submitting teams with the new megas, but I'm going to give the meta a little while to settle down before evaluating any teams with Mega Diancie, Mega Latias, Mega Altaria, and the other less relevant new megas.
Mmk, my bad, I simply thought it was a solid idea to make one.

Also to answer Rabbit, I like Icium Z but the fact that the speed is slower than Mimikyu and Diancie makes the team very vulnerable to Fairy setup; and that's not something dragon can usually afford.

Mega Houndoom Dark

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 56 SpA / 120 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 7 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Dark Pulse

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory
- Gunk Shot

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Tyranitar: The supportive core along with Mandibuzz as it provides rocks and can slow threats down with twave running stone edge as STAB and fire blast for steel coverage.

Mandibuzz: Second part of the core mandibuzz can remove hazards with defog and also take physical hits that ttar and the rest of the team can't.

Mega-Houndoom: Standard set running Dark Pulse and Fire Blast as STAB, Sludge Bomb for Fairy types and Nasty Plot to increase SpA for major damage.

Bisharp: Physical Attacker of the team running Steelium Z packing tremendous power hitting walls hard at +2

Greninja: It outspeeds most of the meta and hits hard with protean based moves. Ice beam hitting flying and dragon mus, while Gunk Shot and Extrasensory hitting fairy and fighting respectively.

Hydreigon: Hard Special attacker running Specs, giving some matchups a hard time against it, running uturn for momentum and flamethrower for coverage.

Last edited:

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
This is definitley a weird team.
Bulky Offense Ghost

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

Golurk @ Focus Sash
Ability: No Guard
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Mimikyu @ Fairium Z
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Banette-Mega @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Shadow Sneak
- Knock Off
- Destiny Bond

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Earthquake

Dhelmise @ Assault Vest
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Anchor Shot

Gengar is our usual scarfer with the same coverage moves on my other ghost teams.

Golurk is a sash lead that is able to set rocks, allowing Alolan Marowak to run Rock Head and Flare Blitz to activate its full potential.

Mimikyu is a late game cleaner capable of defeating Dark types. Unlike many other Mimikyu sets, you may notice that Mimikyu is holding a Fairy Z-Crystal. This allows it to knock out many Bulky Dark and Dragon types without a boost, such as Mega Sableye, Garchomp, Dragonite, and Mandibuzz. This also allows Mimikyu to hit Normal types with a Z-Move.

Mega Banette is a stallbreaker and suicide lead on Ghost. Taunt locks the opposing Pokemon into attacking moves, and Destiny Bond takes the opposing Pokemon down with Mega Banette. can also be used to take down random ass shit that the opposing team throws at you such as volcarona or mega scizor.

note: i have mega banette over mega sableye on this team because of Mega Sableye's lack of offensive presence on more offensive teams

Alolan Marowak is this team's wallbreaker, with Rock head in order to spam Flare Blitz without any drawbacks. It can make use of its good defensive typing with Substitute, which allows it to set up on defensive walls such as Ferrothorn, Celesteela, Forretress, and Chansey in some situations.

Dhelmise is our offensive pivot, similarly to what Goodra does on Dragon teams. It can absorb Water, Ground and Electric type attacks with its grass typing, and even more with its bulk in conjunction with Assault Vest. Power Whip allows it to deal significant damage to anything that doesn't resist it, and rapid spin allows it to clear away hazards if they are set.

replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/azure-gen7monotype-209665
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotypesuspecttest-611535767
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-607569352

Namranan

:)))))))))))
Since I made the original, why not remake it?
Updated Balance Steel

Ferrothorn- Ferrothorn allows the team to deal with water ground types better and potentially spread heals around. Ferrothorn runs lefties so that paired with leech seed it can get quite a bit of health back, and maintains healthy passive recovery. Power whip is used to deal with most water ground types like swampert and seismitoad. Ferrothorn also uses protect to scout moves and bait out choice users, and spikes is used for extra pressure on switch ins. The spread for ferrothorn allows it to have good dual defenses.

Skarmory- Skarmory is a great physical tank and hazard setter and can help spread damage across a whole team. Sturdy is used to guarantee rocks and rocky helmet is used to punish those who try to make contact with skarmory. Stealth rock is used for obvious reasons, roost is for recovery, whirlwind is to spread damage (but use it at your own risk), and Brave Bird is used to make sure skarmory doesn't suffer from taunt and can apply extra damage on top of its rocky helmet. The EV spread maximizes survivability.

Heatran- Heatran is a staple on steel teams, without it fire would have a fun time destroying this team. Do I even need to tell you why Heatran has flash fire? Well other than granting a fire immunity it also boosts trans' fire moves, which literally means that heatran will essentially have 2x STAB on its fire moves. A balloon is used so that it can switch into scarfed eq's and also prevent ground attacks from completely destroying it. Magma Storm is used because as mentioned before you essentially have an 225BP fire move after STAB and with flash fire activated, this is notably helpful in damaging mega-venusaur. Heatran also has earth power, which allows it to hit other fire types that may have just boosted its power. Stone edge is also used to help apply damage on flying types or those who are weak to the move. Taunt is used to make sure breloom and other slow status users are prevented from doing so. Heatran uses full speed and a lot of special attack investment to help increase its revenge killing power. However, it has 24 EVs on attack that despite the Timid nature on it, allows it to OHKO charizard-y and possibly volcarona with stone edge.

Scizor- Mega-Scizor is a great wincon against some types once it gets +2 set up. Light metal is used so that base scizor will take less damage from low kick or other weight based moves, and is also the most useful ability imo. Bullet Punch can tear through teams thanks to mega-scizor's technician ability, and at +2 can sweep teams that aren't resistant to it. Roost is used for recovery and u-turn is for the slow pivot option. Now to explain those strange EV's, with 56 Speed Mega-Scizor can outspeed alola-wak and Azumarill and give them some damage with u-turn so it can switch into something that can handle them. This also helps with alolan-golem and can get mega-scizor out of magnet pull from a non-speed invested magnezone. The EV's in special defense, and health help mega-scizor survive a little more against weaker attacks.

Bisharp - Bisharp is the teams way of making sure defog users are scared out of the fight in fear of triggering its defiant ability. If bisharp is switched in on defog, it becomes very powerful and capable of destroying teams with its stab combo and strong priority move in sucker punch. Being adamant allows bisharp to maximize its power once it gets set up.

Excadrill- Excadrill provides great sweep potential and speed control for the team. Scarfed with mold breaker helps deter levitate users from switching in, and can force them to switch out. Excadrill uses dual stabs with rock slide for coverage and has toxic as a way of spreading harmful status. The EV's allow excadrill to sweep with ease and do it effectively.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Protect

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird

Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 24 Atk / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 128 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Toxic

Edit: Thanks Zmeeed
Edit2: Changes have been made Tyke

Last edited:
Not submitting anything yet, but few things caught my eyes:
Dragonite: DD Dnite without a dragon move and a Lum berry in order to setup sweep in breaking down Normal/Steel lategame. This mon could go without a dragon move considering that Mega Altaria + Scarf Latios creates enough pressure in a Dragon Ditto, and there already are 4 mons on the team with a Dragon move.
Outrage on Dragonite would still apply immense pressure and actually do the sweeping when all the Fairies are out and Steel-types are weakened down enough (a somewhat common scenario, considering some types that can run both Fairy and Steel-types don't do that often enough), not to mention you don't have a brutal physical wallbreaker here. Sure, I know Dragon Monotype is different from many other types and that some seemingly odd stuff can work decently, but I really find a Dragonite without a Dragon STAB too questionable to be a serious option for a sample team.

Kyurem's ability doesn't care about Mimikyu's Disguise, so i don't think Mimikyu may try to set up in front of it
The point is, you can get a first OHKOing hit on Mimikyu even with Disguise up without getting outsped (unlike with Dragonite, tank Garchomp and non-scarf Kyurem-Black) or Shadow Sneaked to oblivion (unlike with Latios), while Iron Head or Fusion Bolt spam is at least often safe against Fairy and Ghost respectively (and please, don't tell me Mimikyu is not a thing on Fairy; tell that to people who use it). And still, scarfed Kyurem-Black is a good response to Mega Diancie, Mega Gardevoir and Mega Gallade, as well to less "relevant" threats such as Mimikyu, Alolan Ninetales, Weavile and just fast Fairy and Ice-types in general while not being 4x weak to Ice Shard, unlike Salamence or Garchomp. It goes very well in teams that can work without Black Kyurem's sheer power (example, Latios can run Energy Ball and/or Ice Beam to make it up for Water, Ground and Flying matchups while these moves already have a good number of relevant targets to be worth using; another example is simply having a monster like Specs Hydreigon)

Heatran- Heatran is a staple on steel teams, without it fire would have a fun time destroying this team. Do I even need to tell you why Heatran has flash fire? Well other than granting a fire immunity it also boosts trans' fire moves, which literally means that heatran will essentially have 2x STAB on its fire moves. A balloon is used so that it can switch into scarfed eq's and also prevent ground attacks from completely destroying it. Lava plume is used because as mentioned before you essentially have an 160BP fire move after STAB and with flash fire activated, this is notably helpful in damaging mega-venusaur. Heatran also has earth power, which allows it to hit other fire types that may have just boosted its power. Stone edge is also used to help apply damage on flying types or those who are weak to the move. Taunt is used to make sure breloom and other slow status users are prevented from doing so. Heatran uses full speed and a lot of special attack investment to help increase its revenge killing power. However, it has 24 EVs on attack that despite the Timid nature on it, allows it to OHKO charizard-y and possibly volcarona with stone edge.
Not being "that guy", but Lava Plume has 180 BP (after factoring STAB in) with Flash Fire boost, since:
1.5x * 1.5x = 180
2.25x=180
1x=80

:P

Balanced Fire
Importable:

Volcanion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Steam Eruption
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Solar Beam

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Taunt

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Hasty Nature
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Air Slash

Torkoal @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Rapid Spin
- Clear Smog
- Will-O-Wisp

Heatran @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz

Quick Background:

I play almost exclusively mono-fire on my main account with what I consider to be large amounts of success. I have hit 1600 many times and am pretty consistently in the top 500 of the ladder. This team has had many transitions with Pokemon such as Victini having been in the roster at some point. My rating is 1509 at the time of this post.

Descriptions:

Volcanion:
This is a choice scarf special attacker set that is one of my many answers to water, rock, and ground teams. In the sun, it can catch opponents off guard with solar beam, making it hard to switch in Gastrodons or other Volcanions. It has a high special attack even with timid, which allows it to 2hko most opponents. This is especially important in the steel monotype match up where you can click steam eruption over and over, as it not only 2hko's everything on a mono-steel team but also prevents Heatran from switching in on a fire blast (a mono-steel match up should be an easy win regardless, but this is the safest option). Hidden Power Ice is good against mono-flying, as it is 4x effective against many threats like Landorus or Dragonite. In this matchup, however, steam eruption is often adequate because many of those Pokemon are ground types as well. I run HP Ice as a soft counter to dragon teams. This matchup is very difficult even with this move, because HP Ice isn't powerful enough in many cases.

The other variation of this set that I have been through had Earth Power and Sludge Wave instead of Solar Beam and HP Ice. I liked Earth Power because it hit other fire types without fearing the Volcanion switch-in. Sludge Wave was meant for mono-fairy teams, but I found it to be unnecessary and useless most of the time. I would suggest running Earth Power over HP Ice if you find you need it because HP Ice is the least important move on this set.

Infernape:
This set is just a simple suicide lead meant to set up Stealth Rocks and Taunt enemy hazard setters. In most matchups, you will only need to set up Stealth Rocks, Taunt an enemy, and die while possibly dealing damage with one of its STAB moves. Infernape might be useful in the normal type matchup because of its fighting STAB in Close Combat, and there are some teams that you can tell will not be too bothered by the Stealth Rocks. In these matchups, it is fine to switch Infernape out before setting hazards, but I recommend leading with it anyway if your opponent has a hazard setter of their own in order to taunt them.

Mega-Charizard-Y:
No fire type team is complete without one of two versions of this monster. Fire Blast in the sun is so overwhelmingly powerful that it can OHKO almost anything that does not resist it. One important OHKO is on Zapdos after Stealth Rocks, as you want to kill the Zapdos before it can defog your rocks away. This set is different from most others in that it has a physical move. Earthquake on Charizard is solely for the purpose of killing Heatran, as Heatran is the hardest counter to Charizard in the game. Although Charizard does lose defense because of its nature, I find this to be a decent trade-off because Earthquake is much more reliable than Focus Blast, the other alternative to killing Heatran.

The only change I would consider is Dragon Pulse instead of Earthquake because you have other Heatran answers, and mono-dragon is the hardest matchup for this team. A dragon pulse might help your chances a little, but I have not invested in too much to counter dragons because most of their Pokemon are faster than Charizard anyway, so your odds of actually firing a Dragon Pulse off are close to none.

Torkoal:
I have seen a lot of other Torkoal sets with Stealth Rocks on it rather than Infernape. My biggest problem is that mono-fire has very few ways to deal with Choice Scarf Terrakion if this option is chosen. I cannot say this enough: Terrakion single-handedly manhandles mono-fire unless played around masterfully. It is because of this single Pokemon that fighting is the second hardest matchup after dragon. I have found that your best hope to kill Terrakion is to send in Torkoal at 100% health, take a massive Earthquake or Stone Edge (which will OHKO every other Pokemon on your team), Will-O-Wisp it, and switch Volcanion in to kill it with Steam Eruption. Volcanion should survive as long as the Terrakion is burned, but if this fails, your entire team loses to that one Pokemon. The only other alternative that I have seen is Choice Scarf Infernape, but that comes down to a speed tie. Except in the event of a crit, Torkoal survives any one hit from Terrakion and can hit it back or rest, then burn it. The important anti-Terrakion calcs are below.

252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 186-222 (54 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Terrakion Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 124-148 (36 - 43%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 278-330 (80.8 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 186-220 (54 - 63.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Other than being the only reliable counter to Terrakion, Torkoal is just an amazing defensive wall. I run Clear Smog to beat all Pokemon that set up, and Will-O-Wisp can cripple any offensive threat for good. Rest is good because you can burn a target, rest, and switch out so that you can burn another threat. The main problem with this set is that it has no way to deal significant damage to your opponents, meaning that sometimes the opponent will spam Quiver Dance or some other stat boosting move while you are stuck clicking Clear Smog. In the end, you just trade your Torkoal for a revenge kill with one of your Choice Scarf Pokemon, but try to play around this situation.

Heatran:
I made this set because I was in desperate need of a special wall, but I decided to not invest in Spdef evs because a Spdef Heatran was just too weak. I don't really know what it was that was weak about it, but it wasn't good at all. I don't have much to say on why I picked this Pokemon over anything else. It was the best special wall I could think of that also had enough coverage to be an offensive threat. This is probably the least important Pokemon on the roster, as it is easily replaced with assault vest Victini (which gets Glaciate to combat the fast Dragon types), and I am considering going back. Heatran is still a solid pick against Rock type teams and can easily switch into Cradily unlike Victini, and Heatran's offensive power makes it tough to switch anything else into it without suffering massive damage.

Although it may be redundant because two Pokemon on this team already have it, Solar Beam is good on Heatran if you find that one of the other moves are useless. I initially had Earth Power on Volcanion and Solar Beam on Heatran, but I switched that around because I could switch Volcanion into a Water type safely, then hit it with a Solar Beam in the sun.

Darmanitan:
This Pokemon is heavily underrated in my opinion because it hits like a truck. Flare Blitz in the sun might as well be a 2HKO to anything relevant in the meta game regardless of resistances, making it very hard to switch into anything. Sheer Force also boosts the power of Flare Blitz and Rock Slide, adding to the already destructive power of this monster. It is very fast with the Choice Scarf, so it is often my endgame sweeper. The downside is that Darmanitan is fairly fragile, so you have to protect it and send it out mostly just for revenge kills or to start your endgame.

I have recently swapped Superpower for U-Turn because I found Psychic type teams to be mildly annoying. I initially ran Superpower for an easy way to beat Normal teams, but Infernape already does that job decently well. Even without the super effective hit, Flare Blitz is generally enough to kill anything that isn't a tank, so Superpower wasn't all that important. If Normal types do pose a problem for you though, feel free to go back. Rock Slide is another move that I could see removed from this set. It is very strong against Flying types, but most teams run both Landorus and Gliscor, which Rockslide isn't great against. Scarf Darmanitan outspeeds Landorus every time, and assuming you don't have an intimidate debuff, you can generally OHKO it in the sun after Stealth Rocks (which you should set up immediately because of how strong they are against Flying!). Gliscor is tougher to kill, but I switch out to Volcanion because it can OHKO with Steam Eruption.

General Information:
Mono-fire is a tough team to play because of the many types that have an advantage to it. I already mentioned the difficulties in beating Terrakion and Dragon teams, but good Ground type and Rock type players can be difficult to beat regardless of Solar Beam Volcanion. It is important to know how to play around different threats and be a good player in general before trying a balanced Fire team.

Fire does have its advantages, though. Despite what a lot of people may think, Fire has a good matchup against Mono-water. Of course, Water teams can be difficult to beat, but the weather effects are very strong in conjunction with Solar Beam. One important tool you have against a Mono-water is Torkoal, which can be used against Gyarados the same as you would against Terrakion.

Fire has some matchups that should be automatic victories. Steel, Bug, Grass, and Ice. You can consider these teams as free ELO. Steel might be a problem if you play around their Heatran poorly, but with everything that I have put in my team, there should be no problem most of the time.

Edit: Someone please tell me how to put my text inside an expandable box. I see everyone else doing it, and I can't figure it out at all.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-622355843
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-622421379

Last edited:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Mega Diancie Fairy

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 16 HP / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Nature Power / Earth Power

Clefable @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes / Foul Play

- Mega Diancie's insane coverage, fantastic offensive stats and a great natural speed tier there is only a select few that can really wall Mega Diancie in this metagame. From being able to 2ohko threats to Fairy such as Heatran and Mega Venusaur with Diamond Storm and Psychic, respectively. Moonblast and Diamond Storm are just simply fantastic stabs with the added bonus of Diamond Storm being able to raise Diancie's defensive stat by 2 stages. Earth Power is an option over Hidden Power Fire, depends on which steel types you want to hit.
- Clefable serves a few roles on this team. To check steel types with Fire Blast+Babiri Berry and to set rocks on the field for hazard damage. Behind screens with a Babiri Berry Clefable can tank a +4 bullet punch from defensive mega Scizor and returns the favor with Fire Blast which severely dents Scizor's health.
- Tapu Koko, how great of a pokemon. Being able to stall break with Taunt or prevent hazards from getting up, hit insanely hard with Thunderbolt, be a fantastic pivot with U-turn along with Electric Terrain preventing any pokemon from falling asleep. Tapu Koko also has the ability to dent pokemon that it wouldn't usually be able to touch with such as Garchomp, Landorus and Gliscor with HP Ice.
- All around revenge killer and fantastic physical attacker. With access to Grassy Terrain being set upon entry and Wood Hammer, Tapu Bulu can really only be stopped by a resistance such as flying or steel types. Horn Leech allows Tapu Bulu to regain health and clean through weakened teams. Superpower and Stone Edge are great coverage allowing Tapu Bulu to hit steel allows rend flying types that it usually wouldn't be able to such as Heatran and Zapdos. Grassy Terrain also halfs the damafe of opposing earthquakes and heals any grounded pokemon on the field to get some of their health back.
- The teams setup sweeper and priority abuser. Azumarill can 6-0 any team without a real water resist as +6 aqua jet can seriously dent just about everything even leaving the bulkiest of walls such as Mandibuzz afraid after some prior chip damage. Azumarill reallyonly sets upBelly Drum when most of the opposing team can be cleaned up with Aqua Jet, however, if Play Rough or Knock Off are more effective like against Dragon.
- Sets up screens majorly increasing the teams overall defensive capacity while also allowing Azumarill to setup with ease. Spikes chips the other team whenever the switch leaving it easier for Azu and Bulu to clean through the team. Foil play in tandem with reflect can be used tomput a stop to physical setup sweepers more easily. However, Thunder Wave is an option over Foul Play which can be used to slow down the opponents team. 12 speed is used to outpace other Klefkis and defensive Mega Scizor. Thunder Wave is an option over foul play as that provides the team with a way to slow down fast threats such as Scarf Victini

Edited Tpthe team to Tyke's suggestions. Also added Nature Power as the fourth slash being able to break past Celesteela and Gastrodon counters to MDiancie outside of the terrains.

Last edited:
Just asking, but when will the Fairy and Steel samples be updated and replaced after the Magearna ban? In my opinion, it should be done ASAP so new players or sample team users will not have to struggle looking for a replacement for a banned Pokémon.

Thanks!

Mega Diancie Fairy

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Clefable @ Babiri Berry
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Klefki @ Light Clay
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Foul Play
- Spikes

- Mega Diancie's insane coverage, fantastic offensive stats and a great natural speed tier there is only a select few that can really wall Mega Diancie in this metagame. From being able to 2ohko threats to Fairy such as Heatran and Mega Venusaur with Diamond Storm and Psychic, respectively. Moonblast and Diamond Storm are just simply fantastic stabs with the added bonus of Diamond Storm being able to raise Diancie's defensive stat by 2 stages. Earth Power is an option over Hidden Power Fire, depends on which steel types you want to hit.
- Clefable serves a few roles on this team. To check steel types with Fire Blast+Babiri Berry and to set rocks on the field for hazard damage. Behind screens with a Babiri Berry Clefable can tank a +4 bullet punch from defensive mega Scizor and returns the favor with Fire Blast which severely dents Scizor's health.
- Tapu Koko, how great of a pokemon. Being able to stall break with Taunt or prevent hazards from getting up, hit insanely hard with Thunderbolt, be a fantastic pivot with U-turn along with Electric Terrain preventing any pokemon from falling asleep. Tapu Koko also has the ability to dent pokemon that it wouldn't usually be able to touch with such as Garchomp, Landorus and Gliscor with HP Ice.
- All around revenge killer and fantastic physical attacker. With access to Grassy Terrain being set upon entry and Wood Hammer, Tapu Bulu can really only be stopped by a resistance such as flying or steel types. Horn Leech allows Tapu Bulu to regain health and clean through weakened teams. Superpower and Stone Edge are great coverage allowing Tapu Bulu to hit steel allows rend flying types that it usually wouldn't be able to such as Heatran and Zapdos. Grassy Terrain also halfs the damafe of opposing earthquakes and heals any grounded pokemon on the field to get some of their health back.
- The teams setup sweeper and priority abuser. Azumarill can 6-0 any team without a real water resist as +6 aqua jet can seriously dent just about everything even leaving the bulkiest of walls such as Mandibuzz afraid after some prior chip damage. Azumarill reallyonly sets upBelly Drum when most of the opposing team can be cleaned up with Aqua Jet, however, if Play Rough or Knock Off are more effective like against Dragon.
- Sets up screens majorly increasing the teams overall defensive capacity while also allowing Azumarill to setup with ease. Spikes chips the other team whenever the switch leaving it easier for Azu and Bulu to clean through the team. Foil play in tandem with reflect can be used tomput a stop to physical setup sweepers more easily. However, Thunder Wave is an option over Foul Play which can be used to slow down the opponents team. 12 speed is used to outpace other Klefkis and defensive Mega Scizor. Thunder Wave is an option over foul play as that provides the team with a way to slow down fast threats such as Scarf Victini
Also, I don't have a sample team here now because I'm not a good player to be honest, but I personally think that in the top Diancie sample, if Thunder Wave is used, Klefki will have no means of offensive attack, meaning that if it is the last Pokémon alive, the player will be doomed. I do agree with Foul Play though (and I see the misspell in the description lol).

Edit: Thanks for updating Tyke!

Last edited:
Apologies for the extended hiatus: Here is the first large update for the sample teams.

The following teams have been removed from the OP:
These teams are severely outdated and in some cases made illegal by recent bans. They are no longer effective in or representative of the relevant meta-game.

The following teams have been edited from the OP:
These teams are outdated and needed small tweaks to be effective in the meta. These are minor changes to movesets, EVs, or at the most, a teamslot. These changes are documented below in detail.
Mega Scizor Offensive Bug:
  • Pursuit > Earthquake on Heracross
  • Stone Edge > Rock Blast on Armaldo

Mega Pinsir Offensive Bug:
  • Pursuit > Earthquake on Heracross
  • Stone Edge > Rock Slide on Armaldo

Mega Heracross Offensive Bug:
  • Yanmega > Scolipede
  • Pursuit > Knock Off on Scizor

Balance Dark:
  • Chople Berry > Leftovers on Tyranitar
  • Thunder Wave > Earthquake on Tyranitar
  • Rock Slide / Shadow Sneak > Fire Blast on Muk-Alola
  • Extrasensory > HP Fire on Greninja

Offensive Electric:
  • Change Zapdos EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
  • Explosion > Earthquake on Alola Golem
  • Focus Blast > Surf on Alola Raichu

Mega Charizard X Offensive Fire:
  • Band Victini > Rotom-Heat
  • Earthquake > Stone Edge on Infernape

Mega Charizard Y Offensive Fire:
  • Alola Marowak > Victini

Balance Flying:
  • Fire Blast > Flamethrower on Charizard
  • Scarf Landorus-T > Togekiss

Balance Ghost:
  • Trick > Destiny Bond on Gengar
  • Gourgeist > Dhelmise
  • Taunt > Acid Armor on Jellicent

Offensive Ground:
  • Sludge Wave > Memento on Dugtrio
  • Jolly > Adamant on Excadrill
  • Gravity > Rock Slide on Landorus-I

Balance Poison:
  • Thunderbolt > Stealth Rock on Nidoking
  • Stealth Rock > HP Ice on Nihilego

Hyper Offensive Psychic:
  • Mega Gallade > Meloetta
  • Scarf > Band on Victini
  • Memento > Surf and Soul Dew > Life Orb on Latios

Balance Psychic:
  • Colbur Berry > Leftovers on Jirachi
  • Leftovers > Colbur Berry on Mew
  • Band > Choice Scarf on Victini
  • Scarf > Life Orb on Latios

Offensive Ice:
  • Max SpA + Rash Nature on Kyurem-Black

Balance Steel:
  • Bisharp > Magnezone
  • Toxic > Rapid Spin on Excadrill
  • Magma Storm > Lava Plume on Heatran
  • Changed EVs for Skarmory: [252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe] > [252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe]
  • Changed EVs for Mega Scizor: [248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe] > [248 HP / 116 Def / 128 SpD / 16 Spe]

Swift Swim Water:
  • Sludge Wave > Stone Edge on Mega Swampert
  • Adamant > Jolly on Mega Swampert
  • Keldeo > Azumarill
  • Taunt > Earthquake on Gyarados
The original contributors may want to update their OPs to reflect these new updates and keep their descriptions relevant and informative for new players.

Special shoutouts to Moosical and Eien for helping me put together this update: it was a lot of work.

Last edited:
Here is a review of the recent team submissions.
Trick Room Ghost

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Dazzling Gleam

Brave Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Shadow Bone

Mimikyu @ Red Card
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw

Dhelmise @ Choice Band
Brave Nature
- Power Whip
- Anchor Shot
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake

Cofagrigus @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Night Shade
- Memento
- Trick Room
- Knock Off
Rejected.

Balanced Mega Gardevoir Psychic

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 152 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Iron Head
- U-turn

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Blue Flare

Gothitelle @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt / Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Counter
Rejected.

Mega Gardevoir HO Psychic

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Substitute / Will-O-Wisp

Deoxys-Speed @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

Victini @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Memento

Mew @ Mewnium Z
Ability: Synchronize
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Rock Polish
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Counter
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
Mega Gallade > Mega Voir on Hyper Offense, and we don't need two virtually equivalent teams.

Rejected.

Offensive Dark

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Protect

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
Defensive Mandibuzz and Tyranitar on an offensive Dark Team? If it's bulky offense, then you still need a stronger defensive backbone to work with and if it's offense you have too many momentum sinks.

Rejected.

Mega Lopunny Balanced Normal
Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Foul Play

Staraptor @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

Diggersby @ Choice Band
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Fire Punch

Meloetta @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- U-turn
- Focus Blast
Change Mega Lopunny's set: Power up Punch > Fake Out and Slash Encore over Ice Punch. Also consider Ditto over scarf Meloetta so you don't get completely floored by Mega Altaria. Switch Toxic and Thunder Wave on P2 (Toxic) and Chansey (Thunder Wave).

Approved, pending these changes.

Offensive Rock
Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Calm Mind

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Golem-Alola @ Firium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 144 Atk / 136 SpA / 228 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Knock Off
- Encore

Omastar @ Air Balloon
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Shell Smash
Use Rhypherior over Alola Golem. It's far more broadly viable outside of just checking Mega Scizor.

Approved, pending this change.

myb tyke I finally got my new laptop so i can post this now.

Offensive Dark

Krookodile @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Hydreigon @ Expert Belt
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Taunt

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Psychic Fangs

Tyranitar @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
Approved.

Double Scarf Ghost

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

Golurk @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Jellicent @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Scald

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball
Rejected, since we already have a solid Ghost team.

Mega Altaria Dragon

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Roost
- Agility
- Fire Blast

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Trick
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head
- Outrage

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Lax Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast
Rejected.

Mega Houndoom Dark

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 56 SpA / 120 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Dark Pulse

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory
- Gunk Shot

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- U-turn
Rejected.

This is definitley a weird team.
Bulky Offense Ghost

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

Golurk @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Mimikyu @ Fairium Z
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Banette-Mega @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Shadow Sneak
- Knock Off
- Destiny Bond

Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Earthquake

Dhelmise @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Anchor Shot
Rejected.

Balanced Fire
Volcanion @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Steam Eruption
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Solar Beam

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Taunt

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Hasty Nature
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Air Slash

Torkoal @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Rapid Spin
- Clear Smog
- Will-O-Wisp

Heatran @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
Rejected.

Mega Diancie Fairy

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Clefable @ Babiri Berry
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Klefki @ Light Clay
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Foul Play
- Spikes
Slash Earth Power for HP Fire, add T-wave on Klefki and make the last moveslot Foul Play / Spikes.

Approved, pending these changes.

Mew @ Mewnium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Rock Polish

Deoxys-Speed @ Light Clay
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Def
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Focus Blast
- Counter

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Blue Flare

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Trick
Approved.

Eien said:
Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Steel]

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Blast

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Refresh
- Roost

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost
- Earth Power
Approved.
The following teams have been added to the OP:
The following teams are Approved, pending changes:
-

We are now looking for some new sample teams to fill the gaps left by outdated samples and to account for new archetypes in the metagame. Here are the cliffnotes.
  • Mega Latias Dragon
  • Trick Room Ghost
  • Flying
  • Vincune Balance Water
  • Offensive Steel
  • Sandless Ground
  • and some others...
Thanks for being patient with me, and for contributing to this project!

Last edited:

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Balanced Water Team
Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Scald

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 200 SpD / 60 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Substitute
- Protect
- Calm Mind

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Ice Fang

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump

This is a Balanced water team around Suicune, the team has hazard stacking in the form of stealth rock and toxic spikes which suicune appreciates since it allows it to pressure opposing teams through the vincune set.
: Standard defensive swampert set for the team to provide stealth rock utility,electric immunity to the team and a physical wall. scald is useful to fish for burns and spread residual damage. Earthquake being a STAB move hits decently even when uninvested. Toxic is used to cripple opposing walls such as zapdos and mantine. Toxic also allows to cripple a set up sweeper and stop a possible sweep. Toxic is used here over roar to cripple flying types that won't be affected by toxic spikes.
: Tentacruel on the team is specially defensive counter part to swampert, tanking special hits for the team while also providing toxic spikes support and hazard control in the form of rapid spin. Scald is used to spread burns and for residual damage. Sludge bomb allows it to take out banded tapu bulu or to help out vs breloom since the speed evs on tentacruel allows to outspeed it.Liquid ooze is used as ability to deter mega venusaur.
:Due to its good bulk and typing suicune performs as a great calm mind sweeper for the team able to pp stall with subsitute and protect thanks to its ability pressure. Calm mind is used to boost suicune's special defense and special attack stat which makes it harder to take down while also gaining offensive presence.Scald is the only attacking move on the set and is used to wear down threats since it has a nifty burn chance. Max hp allows suicune to make 101 HP Substitutes, which don't break to one seismic Toss.216 speed allows it to outspeed base 80 speed pokemon, while 40 evs are dumped into sp.def so that rotom wash does not breaks substitue with volt switch after +1.
: Gyarados is another set up sweeper of the team utilizing a Flyinium Z set, this set allows gyarados to take out pokemon such as Mega Venusaur and banded tapu bulu for the team which otherwise can prove trouble. Dragon dance is used to boost its speed and attack making gyarados harder to stop,taunt allows it to stop pokemon from using status moves vs gyarados,such as haze toxapex or whirlwind skarmory. Waterfall has good coverage along with Bounce on the set. Ev spread is standard.
: Mega Sharpedo is an amazing cleaner late game due to its pre mega ability in speed boost. Mega Sharpedo appreciates the hazard stacking by tentacruel and swampert to wear down opposing teams so that Mega Sharpedo can clean up late game effectively. As for the moveset, Crunch is the main STAB moves that hits hard due to strong jaw ability, it is the main move used most of the time to clean up. Psychic fangs allows it to take out weakened Mega venusaur and toxapex while also helping vs fighting types like keldeo. I decided to drop Water stab move on Mega sharpedo to run Ice-fang for dragon types.
: Greninja is the speed control of the team sporting a choice scarf set. Its high speed along with choice scarf allows it to outspeed a huge portion of the metagame including common scarf users. U-turn is for momentum and to bring in a teammate safely.Ice beam is mainly used for flying and dragon types like Landorus and Dragonite. Gunk shot is used for fairy and grass types like Tapu koko,Tapu bulu and Mega Gardevoir. Hydro pump is used to hit hard neutrally.

Hyper Offense Psychic
Deoxys-Speed @ Light Clay
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt

Gallade-Mega (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Victini @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Memento

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Def
- Counter
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Mew @ Mewnium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Rock Polish
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

: Deoxys-S provides the team not only dual screen support in the form of light screen and reflect but it also provides stealth rock support to the team which is very well appreciated by offensive teammates on the team.Deoxys-S has great speed allowing it to outspeed most other leads and taunt to stop opposing lead from setting hazards up. Light clay is used as an item to increase the turns of light screen and reflect which makes revenge killing harder against the team.
: Mega gallade is the set up sweeper of the team, its STAB combination in zen headbutt and close combat has great coverage able to pressure a lot of types.Mega gallade can also take up the role of a wall breaker with a swords dance under its belt. Close combat helps vs pokemon that resist its psychic STAB move such as steel types.Mega gallade can also demolish the fat poison core of Mega venu+Muk+toxapex. Ice punch is used for flying and dragon types like dragonite or garchomp.
: Choice banded victini serves as a powerful wall breaker in the team able to heavily dent its normal switch ins such as porygon2 on normal. Choice banded victini provides the team with much needed immediate power and the ability to open up big holes in opposing teams.Bolt strike is used for water types like mantine,pelipper etc while zen headbutt is useful in poison match up. U-turn is used for gaining momentum and to bring in a teammate safely.
: Latios is the speed control of the team with a choice scarf set,it has great speed that is further supplemented by a choice scarf allowing it to outspeed common scarf users. Draco Meteor hits hard and it is a stab move. Latios functions as an hit and run attacker since draco meteor has stat drop.Psychic is used to clean up late game when the opposing team has been weakened. Defog is to clear off hazards that may plague the team such as stealth rock and spikes.Lastly memento provides set up opportunities to teammates like Mew or Mega Gallade.
: Sash Counter Alakazam on the team functions as a blanket check to a number of threats such as Mega Sharpedo,Bisharp and Excadrill.Psychic is its STAB move that does decent damage since alakazam has a good special attack stat. Shadow ball is mainly used for ghost types like mimikyu or gengar while focus blast is run for steel and dark types like heatran and hydreigon.
: With memento support from latios,dual screen support from deoxys-S and thanks to good natural bulk of mew, it finds plenty of opportunities to set up nasty plot and rock polish which wrecks havoc pretty easily.Nasty plot increases its special attack dramatically allowing it to wall break with mewnium z.Focus blast has great coverage with psychic and so it allows it to get past steel and dark types however the accuracy can be a let down.

Last edited:
I have a small correction to bring regarding the current Dragon team sample. M-Altaria's spread (EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 Spe with a Jolly Nature) is inefficient. With a spread of 252 HP / 8 Def / 240 Spe and an Impish Nature, you get the exact same stats but with 8 EVs still remaining (it'd probably better to put them in Def).

I've got a few suggestions

Offensive Rock

• 4 Attacks > Calm Mind Mega Diancie: This change does a better job of improving the Steel matchup for the team, especially since Alolan Golem isn't on the team and Terrakion is carrying a Choice Scarf. Here's the optimal set:

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

• Cradily > Omastar: Omastar's main role is pretty much mainly to win the Ground matchup, but the team already does a great job of pressuring Ground offensively with Sticky Web and Mega Diancie, as well as Rhyperior to blanket check nearly every physical attacker on Ground, and Scarf Terrakion to revenge kill Excadrill after Sticky Web. Cradily also improves this matchup due to being a decent switch-in to Ground type attacks while also improving the Water matchup thanks to its immunity and being one of the few reliable Mega Diancie checks that Rock has. Here's the set to go with:
Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Def / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Toxic
- Recover
- Mirror Coat

Offensive Ice

• Change Lapras's spread to 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Speed: Max Speed on Lapras doesn't outspeed any particularly notable target, and it's just a sacrifice in bulk. 176 Speed allows it to outspeed Belly Drum Azumarill in order to KO it with Freeze-Dry.
  • Oblivious > Thick Fat on Mamoswine: Mamoswine should never really be taking many hits, so Thick Fat is pretty much worthless on it. Oblivious allows it to guarantee Stealth Rock against HO Psychic.
  • Hidden Power Fire > Outrage on Kyurem-Black: This lets it break through Steel's defensive core easier, preventing Ferrothorn from simply setting up Spikes/Leech Seed in front of it, removing Forretress immediately to prevent Stealth Rock thanks to Teravolt, and making sure Mega Scizor can't just switch into it and start setting up.

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Offensive Steel Team:
Skarmory @ Salac Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Taunt

Celesteela @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Modest Nature
- Autotomize
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower

Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 28 Atk / 224 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stone Edge

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Toxic

This is an offensive Steel Team:
: Suicide lead Skarmory set with dual hazards in spikes and stealth rock to pressure opposing teams. Spikes and stealth rock by skarmory is essential to offensive teammates on the team like Scizor to score easy KOs or to clean up effectively.Taunt along with max speed is used to stop opposing hazard setter or leads. Once skarmory is done to sturdy brave bird can be used to faint itself with the recoil which provides momentum to the team.
: Celesteela is the special set up sweeper of the team, Autotomize makes it a big a threat vs offensive teams and also acting as a cleaner. It has great natural bulk which eases in setting up Autotomize and clean weakened teams late game. Flyinium Z allows it to kick start it's beast boost snow ball or to take out/Severely dent Pokemon that can stop it. Giga drain is for recovery and puts in good work vs water teams once it has few boosts under its belt. Flamethrower allows celesteela to get past steel types such as ferrothorn. Modest nature is used for more power. This set allows celesteela to threatening types like bug and fighting easily.
: Offensive heatran set is used here that can stall break with magma storm and taunt which completely shuts down walls since taunt prevents recovery moves. Stall breaker set allows heatran to take out walls that may trouble other teammates such as Toxapex,Chansey,Porrygon2 etc. Earth power allows it some decent coverage along with magma storm and it is used to hit opposing heatran and pokemon that resist magma storm such as Toxapex to wear it down. Stone edge is used to check Mega Charizard Y and Volcarona which are otherwise threats to the core.
: Mega Scizor on the team acts a cleaner, thanks to its good typing and bunch of resistances mega scizor is a great set up sweeper as well. Mega Scizor appreciates the hazard stacking provided by this team to score easy KOs or to weaken its checks or counters. Swords dance allows mega scizor to threaten opposing teams and bullet punch allows it to clean effectively since it is a priority move. Bug bite being its STAB move has decent coverage along side bullet punch, hitting targets that resist bullet punch like water types. Superpower is used for opposing steel types like bulky heatran,ferrothorn etc.
: Bisharp on the team acts as wall breaker/sweeper. Bisharp deters defog users thanks to its ability defiant which gives bisharp a +2 attack.Knock off provides utility as it removes items, it also cripples item reliant pokemon like chansey or porygon2. Sucker punch is a priority move and is used for faster targets. Iron head has decent coverage in tandem with knock off. Life orb and adamant nature is used for more power.
: Excadrill is the speed control of the team utilizing a choice scarf set.Excadrill also checks threatening fire types for the team like Mega charizard Y and Volcarona with rock slide. Earthquake along with mold breaker allows excadrill to damage levitate users like rotom-wash and latios. Iron head is its other stab move that hits pokemon immune to earthquake for good damage such as landorus. Lastly toxic is run on excadrill to cripple mega sableye as mold breaker ignores magic bounce. Toxic allows excadrill to cripple walls that switch on it without much fear like mandibuzz.

Made some changes.
Edited

Last edited:
Not my project but this needs to be said. Submitters need to make sure to actually test their teams and use meta sets. This is samples, a resource for players that might not know the metagame well. Submitters must be extra diligent to make sure your team is acceptable and capable of capturing the metagame for new users. Submitting off meta and niche sets or bad teams is not acceptable for this project.

For example, all of these Steel submissions are using Lava Plume Heatran. That'd be fine if you guys actually put a real Poison answer on the team. Unfortunately, all these teams just get 6-0d by Mega Venusaur + Toxapex.

We also had a submission with Mega Banette (which is unranked on the viability rankings) and another with RestChesto Torkoal. If you want to show off your teams and maybe get suggestions, check out RMT. This is not the place.

I'm glad so many people want to contribute, but some of these posts are only creating more work for Tyke and not helping. Sample teams need to be representative of the metagame and of a high quality.

Please don't hesitate to contribute. That being said, we do need to have some standards for this project. Let's continue to work together to provide accurate and good sample teams.

A quick change for the Jellicent set on Balanced Ghost

Jellicent @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic

The 12 speed evs are for defensive Celesteela so jellicent can taunt before it gets toxic/leech seeded.
Cursed body>Water Absorb There isn't a lot of threatening water moves that need to be absorbed basically Vincune is the only one which gets taunt+disabled. It can also generate some momentum if it disables a Pokemon with a choiced item.

Last edited:

Scholar

Shinjiro's babe
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mega Latias Dragon

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power Steel
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch
- Superpower
- Outrage

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Flamethrower

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpA
Lax Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Recover
- Refresh

Latios-Latios is the defog scarfer of the team. Its 350 spe can help outspeed other common scarfers such as Heracross on bug, Nihlego on poison etc.After finally getting a fairy on ladder, I realized I had no way to deal with diance and changed ice beam to hp steel to deal with that threat

Kyurem Black- The physical wallbreaker of the team. I decided life orb to help not be forced to switch out since mega Altaria is a big threat to dragon. Outrage does huge damage to other mons, as this is a monster once it comes outs.

Dragonite- Dragonite is a way for dragon to beat normal. Superpower is there for a way to break normal walls. Extreme speed helps with raichu A in terrain, scarf ninja, chip sand rush drill (if damaged or haxed by iron head), and can help with swift swim water. Fire punch helps KO a scizor even at x2 as long as mutiscale has not been broken.

Hydreigon- The special wallbreaker of the team. Hydregion is a must for the psychic mu as it helps with many threats. Dark pulse is a great stab neutral move and a great lead to a neutral mu. Hydreigon focus blast helps with the dark mu and the normal mu. Taunt aids in the normal mu with keeping the two walls Chansey and p2 from recovering. It also blocks setup sweepers from setting up.

Garchomp- The rock settler of the team. I decided rocky helmet to help with sand rush drill and damage other physical attackers as it is a great switch in to pivot users. I invested a little bit in special attack for garchomp to take out steel mons. Dragon tail is to get rid of sweepers that set up and to chip mons to break sash.

Latias Mega- Last but not least is Latias-mega. I went for the stored power set since the bulk that mega latias has can support it and can become a big threat. I went for refresh to keep Latias from getting taken down with toxic, or being paralyzed.

(Edited the move set for latias mega , forgot to change explanation)
(Edited again after seeing as my team had no way to deal with mega diance)
(Edited based on tykes suggestions, btw you did spell my username wrong. :<)

Last edited:

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Bulky Offense Dragon (M-Latias)

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 140 HP / 252 Def / 116 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute/Refresh
- Recover
- Stored Power

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Iron Head
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage
- Ice Beam

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Roost

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Lax Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Trick/Ice Beam
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Dragonite @ Protective Pads
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Superpower/Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage

It's a very neat Dragon team centered around Mega Latias. While it seems average on paper, there are some neat tricks and spreads that help to break down many threats that Dragon should normally lose.

Latias: The main centerpoint of the entire team, Latias' amazing bulk overall makes it currently Dragons' best defensive mon. 116 Speed outspeeds the likes of Buzzwole, Mamoswine, Adamant Excadrill, Tapu Bulu, Mega Heracross, and more. Max Def Bold nature coupled with 140 HP allows it to tank Physical hits very nicely; For example, this set allows Latias to live Ice Punch/Return from Mega Lopunny, LO Iron Head from Adamant Excadrill, and Scarf Terrakion Stone Edge solidly, even with prior Stealth Rock damage. Couple the great defenses with Calm Mind and Substitute, and this thing becomes a flying fortress. Recover is self explanitory to heal off damage, Stored Power to abuse the Calm Mind Boosts and in some cases, acts as a bulky sweeper. Refresh can be swapped over Substitute to be utilized as a status Cleric, taking away status from Prankster mons or those naturally faster, such as Klefki, Cobalion, Whimsicott, Sableye before Mega Evolution, and more. Overall, the best mon on this team, as well as the best answer to Normal and Water teams.

Kyurem-B: Pretty Standard Kyurem set. It's all the moves you expect, added with a Choice Scarf to deal with the likes of Mega Diancie, Mimikyu, Mega Gallade, Mega Gardevoir, and a bunch of other faster threats minus Deoxys-S hazard setup.

Hydreigon: Overall, this teams best answer to Steel. LO + Fire Blast/Earth Power/Dark Pulse makes any hit that lands OHKO or 2OHKO everything Steel has to offer. Roost is there to extend Hydreigons' longevity and puts a thorn in anyone's side. Fire Blast can be substituted for Flamethrower if you're worried about accuracy.

Garchomp: Classic TankChomp. Reliably sets up Stealth Rock for Sash/Sturdy users; Rough Skin plus Helmet damage chunks most Physical attackers; Earthquake for STAB, Fire Blast for Coverage, Dragon Tail to faze out Setup Sweepers. It is and should be a staple on nearly every Dragon team.

Latios: Standard Latios with a Scarf. Ice beam and Trick can be used interchangeably, for Ice Beam creates better offensive pressure when facing the likes of Mega Altaria, Landorus, Zapdos, Hippowdon, and others, While Trick can be applied to switch items on Celesteela, Chansey, Porygon2, Toxapex, and others to make Wallbreaking/Stallbreaking much easier for you.

Dragonite: Standard Dragonite, but coupled with a cool toy in Protective Pads. Since Protective Pads shield Dragonite's Physical Moves from making contact, it is very simple to click Outrage on TankChomp without suffering damage. This is applied to all Helmet users and contact ability users alike, such as Ferrothorn, Garchomp, Skarmory, Defensive Staraptor, Mandibuzz, and even shields itself from stat changing/status contact users like Goodra, Volcarona, Static Zapdos, while damaging them with little to no risk involved. Superpower and Earthquake are interchangeable, though I'd prefer Superpower to have a better chance with this team in the Dragon vs. Dark Matchup.

Again, a very solid team on paper with some neat tricks involved. It may not be the most "optimal sets" according to what the "standards" of a "normal" Dragon team are today, however, that doesn't mean that the meta can't develop, or at least make the attempt to.

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Again, a very solid team on paper with some neat tricks involved. It may not be the most "optimal sets" according to what the "standards" of a "normal" Dragon team are today, however, that doesn't mean that the meta can't develop, or at least make the attempt to.​
There's nothing wrong with the meta developing, but this is not the place to encourage that development. As Eien said only a few posts up, this thread is for new players to learn the current metagame.
Submitting off meta and niche sets ... is not acceptable for this project.
The closing comment in your post shows that you're aware your team is atypical. Eien made it very clear that unusual sets and teams should not be posted here. The RMT forum and the Creative/Underrated Sets thread are both perfect places for metagame development to occur, so I would suggest posting your team/sets in those places instead of this thread. Otherwise, if you have any teams that are more standard with "tried and true" sets, we would be happy to have you post them here. In the future, please follow what the forum moderators say.

Havens

WGI World Champion
My apologies, I promise not to make the same mistake to return to this forum again and pestering you with teams that belong somewhere else. It was wrong of me to do here and I will only post standard from now on.

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic

The 12 speed evs are for defensive Celesteela so jellicent can taunt before it gets toxic/leech seeded.
Cursed body>Water Absorb There isn't a lot of threatening water moves that need to be absorbed basically Vincune is the only one which gets taunt+disabled. It can also generate some momentum if it disables a Pokemon with a choiced item.
It was like that but people told me Cursed Body was bad and I had to change it to Water Absorb. I'll take the 12 Evs thingy though.

It was like that but people told me Cursed Body was bad and I had to change it to Water Absorb. I'll take the 12 Evs thingy though.
Like the only thing water absorb is useful for is not getting scald burns which most of the time it's worse because then you could get poisoned/toxiced. Water moves should cause 0 problems with a jellicent and gourgeist core...

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic

Right so about Water Absorb vs Cursed Body. First, without even going into specific uses, if you can choose between taking damage and not taking damage, it's really not even an argument to begin with. Cursed Body is not only unreliable but actually outright useless in many cases. Considering its alternative not only makes it immune to Water-type moves but gives it healing opportunities, why would you ever use it?

Anyway, even if we're pretending that Cursed Body is actually ever useful, it still isn't better than Water Absorb even for the example you gave because, as it turns out, neither are useful at all against Suicune anyway. Suicune isn't going to beat Jellicent with Scald with Cursed Body or with Water Absorb. Suicune either wins because you get PP stalled or loses because idk they misplayed hard somewhere.

Speed EV change is fine, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)