[Monotype] The normal team strikes again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi! I'm really new to competitive battling, so this RMT might not be good. ^^'

I just kind of like this team, I often get wins with it. It has a few weaknesses though, I'd like to share with you:

A monotype normal team that ROCKS.

I wanted to make a team around the normal type, here's how I got to the actual team:

I wanted to build a team around Zigzagoon, a powerful sweeper. This was my first member: It is also my main sweeper. Say hi to Norman, the Leader of the team!

----------

I needed a second sweeper that could help me take down weakened sweepers or walls: Here's Aipom! Fake out and Return is an awesome combination. Brick Break is used for everything that resists the first moves, and Shadow Claw is there to take care of ghost types. Say hi to Brock, a member that rocks! (Okay I'll stop the puns.)

----------

Then I needed someone to take care of these pesky Fighting types. I tested Doduo, but I didn't really like it. Taillow was the second option: It's one of the main pillars of the team now. With awesome speed stat, Guts-Facade-Stab combination, nothing resists it! It's also my late-game cleaner. Say hi to Winona, the flying beauty!

----------

The team was going really well, but I lacked a setup sweeper, aside from Zigzagoon: Eevee was the first choice that came to my mind. Work Up, Return and Adaptability? Do want! He also has HP fire and Shadow Ball to attack everything that resists. Say hi to Lenora, a girl that packs quite a punch!

----------

Then I realised my team was Offensive only. I needed someone who could take hits and effectively shut down threats. I immediatly thinked of Porygon: With eviolite, that thing is beast. It has three attacking moves: Tri-Attack, removing a huge chunk of everything that comes in bar steel types; Charge Beam is here to make my Sp.Atk comes up, which is really useful if I'm taunted. Finally, Shadow Ball to take care of everything that resists. Recover in the last slot, of course. Say hi to Linux Mint, everyone's favorite Linux distribution!

----------

However, I needed a last team mate. One I could count on when things get nasty, against a +2 attacker that's too quick for the other teammates. One that could make substitute sweepers shut up. I thought exactly about Minccino. It's a shame it doesn't learn Rock Blast and Bullet Seed, I'm wondering why. Tail Slap 2HKOes or 1HKOes everything that doesn't resist it, while Seed Bomb and Aqua Tail kill the steel and rock and ghost types. U-Turn is an useful move for scouting, also KOing a lot of frail psychic and Dark types. Say hi to Whitney, the deadly cutie!

Norman (Zigzagoon) (M) @ Oran Berry
Trait: Pickup
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Atk / 120 Def / 192 SDef
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd
- Belly Drum
- ExtremeSpeed
- Seed Bomb
- Return

"Hah! But Zigzagoons are ridiculously weak!"

That's what everyone say when they encounter Norman.
That's not what they say when their team is stomped flat.
Usually, I send Zigzagoon out first in battle, against something that can't really hit him. Belly Drum, Oran Berry: I'm back to 100% health, with +6 attack, with a Stab priority move that has priority on other priority moves.

This is scary, isn't it?

Seed bomb is here for hitting the likes of Hippopotas, who could otherwise take a hit and retaliate: They are OHKOed. The only true counter to him is the various steel types that run around LC.

252 +6 Atk Zigzagoon (+Atk) Return vs 84 HP/188 Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 45,45% - 54,55% (2-3 hits to KO)

Yeah, Zigzagoon 2/3HKOes one of the bulkiest walls in LC. Just a proof of how good it is. The first pillar of the team.

Brock (Aipom) (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Brick Break
- Shadow Claw

Brock is deadly as fuck. That thing hits like a truck, y'know? Fake out/Return is the answer to every threat. Brick Break's used for killing the rock types that resist him, while Shadow Claw does its job: OHKOing the likes of Gastly. It might not pull a sweep, but it's great at killing threats.

Whitney (Minccino) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Cute Charm
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 SDef / 236 Spd
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Tail Slap
- Aqua Tail
- Seed Bomb

Minccino is as deadly in LC as his big brother. If only it had bulletseed/Rockblast... *sigh*

Anyway. It is a great stallbreaker, really. Got a problem with a troublesome weakened wall? Minccino. Want to get an annoying substitute spammer out? Minccino. His stab move, Tail Slap, 2HKOes everything that doesn't resist normal. Its other moves are mainly for coverage, really. Tail Slap does the entire job. U-Turn is for scouting, and is a great move in general. It's the second pillar of the team.

Winona (Taillow) (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SDef / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- Quick Attack
- Protect

Winona is my answer to all the Grass/Fighting types out there. OHKOing even the bulkiest ones with Brave Bird, while pulling huge sweeps with Facade. I don't know what to say about him... Simply the third pillar of the team.

Lenora (Eevee) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Adaptability
EVs: 236 Atk / 240 Spd
Naive Nature
- Work Up
- Return
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Aaaah... Lenora. A main sweeper. Work up- Return- repeat - HP fire if steel types comes in. That's his main job. I dropped Quick Attack because I don't see why I should drop the power of Return simply for priority. It's not like I'll leave him alone against a fighting type... Simply a beast. Shadow ball takes care of Rock- and Ghost types.

Linux Mint (Porygon) @ Eviolite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 Spd
Bold Nature
- Tri Attack
- Charge Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

Porygon is my wall, and my stat booster. Charge beam - Charge beam - Tri attack. That's basically what it does. Hurt? Recover. Repeat. Shadow Ball in case of Ghost type. He's just a tank, taking hits, slowly becoming powerful with charge beam, and releasing everything to get many KOes. Porygon is the fourth pillar of the team.

However, I have a few weaknesses.

Mainly choice scarf Mienfoo. THAT THING. It ruined so many of my sweeps... I don't know how to defeat it if Zigzagoon's gone. Unless a lucky miss of Hi Jump Kick, basically, I'm doomed.
Scraggy is also a threat, although Taillow can take care of it.

I need some inputs on the team, soooo... Here's the importable version:

Norman (Zigzagoon) (M) @ Oran Berry
EVs: 196 Atk / 120 Def / 192 SDef
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd
- Belly Drum
- ExtremeSpeed
- Seed Bomb
- Return

Brock (Aipom) (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Brick Break
- Shadow Claw

Whitney (Minccino) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Cute Charm
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 SDef / 236 Spd
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Tail Slap
- Aqua Tail
- Seed Bomb

Winona (Taillow) (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SDef / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- Quick Attack
- Protect

Lenora (Eevee) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Adaptability
EVs: 236 Atk / 240 Spd
Naive Nature
- Work Up
- Return
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Linux Mint (Porygon) @ Eviolite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 Spd
Bold Nature
- Tri Attack
- Charge Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

The only thing that even checks fighting types in your team is tailow and when its gone, fighting types just completely dominate your team. I don't think a normal mono-type would really work in lc too imo.

MonoNormal teams are hard to pull off successfully in Little Cup because of the presence of so many Ghost- and Fighting-types. I think you should check out B101!

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I wasn't on Smogon for a month, and, uh, builded a team and it quite worked and oh please don't kill me I'm sorry for that thing forgot LC was about fighting types ;w;

Someone can close this thread, maybe...? ._.

Sarkynin there is no reason to be sorry i can see you don't have to much expereince in Little Cup but summing up what Gengan said mono normal teams simply don't work in LC with Mienfoo on pretty much every single well built team, and a teir dominated by fighting types like Scraggy, Timburr, Croagunk, etc. I would like to direct you to Battling 101 smogons tutoring program. The next sign ups are September 22 all you need to do is sign up and hopefully a expert in Little Cup will come and show you the ropes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)