Monotype Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sae

In the midst of Orre
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I disagree and think mega zard Y should be A Rank for fire teams.
This version of charizard will be forced out by the likes of keldeo, latios, and thundrus-I which are all on everyteam's watch list, therefore most prepared team will have something for it. Worse for charizard, if they use something lando-t a volturn or terrakion, for this job... then you put your already overworked defensive pokemon at risk, especially if an expected stone edge or volt turn turns into a stealth rock or substitute. Enhancing its own and your team's ability to hammer walls is difficult to capitalize on when their first response to a KO threatens to force you to chose between the core of your offense or defense.
You're not thinking in terms of the entire team though. MegaY literally defines Fire Monotypes. By itself from full health, it can threaten almost every single Water type with Solar Beams and it won't usually die from one hit from water mons thanks to Sun being out. The only water types that can counter, being able to to take a hit on the switch and beat it one v one, are normally Tentacruel and Sap Sipper Azu since everything else gets 2HKO'd at best or just outright OHKO'd. Also, setting up Sun for Fire teams allow it the rest of team to function: V-Create/Blue Flare spam from Victini, Flare Blitz from Entei or Darmanitan, etc. Also it allows other mons like Specially Defensive Heatran to take on things like Latios without worrying about Surf as much allowing Heatran to give residual damage via status and lava plumes to Latios or setup SR. Also Keldeo is a check to MegaY, not an outright counter.

• 252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 236-278 (79.4 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 330-390 (102.1 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yeah in a 1v1 situation first turn, Keldeo can't even OHKO with specs meaning that Keldeo is forced out first turn. Debatable point since Keldeo will just switch into Tentacruel or Sap Sipper Azumarill, but if the water team doesn't carry that, something's going to die. Maybe the Keldeo will stay in and sacrifice itself so MegaY is forced out next turn and thus can't setup sun, or maybe Keldeo misses the hydro and you lose your check. Yeah Mega Y can carry a Fire team in a Water v Fire matchup. Also against Politoed which does rain, technically the mega comes after so you get a free Drought against Politoed the turn you mega.

So basically MegaY gives Fire the ability to play against it's most common weakness. Also most things still don't appreciate taking a Sun boosted Fire Blast, and in cases of rock types like Terrakion, a smart player could just predict Solar Beam.

In cases like VoltTurn offense, most common users are: bug teams, flying teams, electric teams. Maybe Volt Switch will cause a slight loss in momentum from Electric, but between Heatran and Rotom-H it should be manageable. In cases of bug teams, lol what's to fear. In cases of Flying teams, most people on Fire teams use their own pivot Scarfs against them like Rotom-H or Victini (which can run Glaciate js).

So yes MegaY can be beaten by these things, but a well prepared fire team has ways around them, and a good player will bait out certain threats. This doesn't mean that it's plagued to the point that it's A rank. No, MegaY is definitely S-rank. Is there anything else you want me to bring up? I can reply to any other arguments you or anyone else may say, but I'm pretty sure majority of Fire users would vehemently defend Mega Y's spot as S rank so I'm not alone.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
n64lord said:
I disagree and think mega zard Y should be A Rank for fire teams.
This version of charizard will be forced out by the likes of keldeo, latios, and thundrus-I which are all on everyteam's watch list, therefore most prepared team will have something for it. Worse for charizard, if they use something lando-t a volturn or terrakion, for this job... then you put your already overworked defensive pokemon at risk, especially if an expected stone edge or volt turn turns into a stealth rock or substitute. Enhancing its own and your team's ability to hammer walls is difficult to capitalize on when their first response to a KO threatens to force you to chose between the core of your offense or defense.
Is this not the same for the likes of other S Ranked pokemon such as Skarmory and Landorus-I who are forced out by all 3 of the mons that you mention and will give away the same free turns that you speak of? I admit the Stealth Rock weakness makes this more of an issue, but it's still the same scenario. At the end of the day it comes down to whether the Stealth Rock weakness is worth it against the fantastic support Charizard Mega Y provides for it's team, and as I type this, Sae has literally said it for me. Charizard Y defines the current archetype of Fire monotype, and gives it's team a better chance against it's so called bad matchups, with Water, Rock and Ground all having very little that can switch into it's powerful solar beams repeatedly.

Meloetta (Psychic) for A Rank

Meloetta is one of the most most versatile and effective pokemon one can chose for a psychic team. It is capable of running a variety of sets, and excelling at each role with proper support. 100/77/128 bulk allows it to absorb multiple specially-based hits, before retaliating with a broad range of coverage attacks that really hurt coming off its base 128 SpA (as a point of reference, Keldeo has 129 SpA). Similar to most other pokemon on a psychic mono, Meloetta requires support to function effectively; but, said support is an integral part of any top tier team. Meloetta's Normal/Psychic typing provides an immunity to Ghost attacks and is an important part of the resistance/immunity core psychic teams often build around. This is all placed on top of an amazing ability: Serene Grace (T-wave+Rest+Snore if you want to abuse it :D). Finally, Meloetta is unique in that it can to change to a pirouette-form by using the move Relic Song--trading it's 128/128 special stats for 128 Atk and 128 Speed in the process. Although rare on psychic teams because of powerful physical attackers such as mega-Medicham or Metagross, when the pirouette form shows up it is always a threat.

Meloetta seems to fit the definition of A rank perfectly. Many S rank qualities (versatility, unique typing, ability), but has a screaming weakness to physical attackers, especially the ever-present U-turn.

A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that have S rank qualities, but need support (which can be easily given) in order for them to be successful. Defensive Pokemon of this tier can fulfill its role really well most of the time. They may get moves/abilities that are rare in their Type and they're still decent Pokemon overall. These Pokemon can play a role against most type matchups, but they may be hard walled by 1-2 types. However, these Pokemon are mostly used for one or two of their sets meaning that they can be predictable. These Pokemon influence the metagame.

Meloetta @ Assault Vest
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball/Energy Ball/Dazzling Gleam/Hyper Voice/Trick
Meloetta @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball/Energy Ball/Dazzling Gleam/Hyper Voice/Trick
Meloetta @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
Meloetta @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD (consider investing in speed if using relic song)
Careful Nature
- Heal Bell
- Perish Song/Relic Song
- Knock Off/U-turn
- Thunder Wave/Toxic
Hey, i totally agree with you but i think you should add a all out attacker pirouette set, something like this:

Meloetta @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat/Drain Punch
- Quick Attack/Return
- Knock Off/Stone Edge/Ice Punch/U-Turn
- Relic Song

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Galvantula (Electric) -> D Rank

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball / Hidden Power Ice

Why D rank? Like other Sticky Webbers, Galvantula is only used for Sticky Webs, and unlike Bug, Electric's already fast enough to outspeed a majority of the tier. It's also outclassed in an all out attacker since Thundurus has higher speed and power. One would only use this to abuse Specs + Modest sets. Otherwise, there's no point using Galvantula. The set stays the same, except I feel like Volt Switch isn't that necessary on Electric Monotypes since they have all the Electric STAB they need to hit Flying types.
I disagree with the idea that electric's fast enough already. While a good number are plenty fast enough already: Thundurus, Mega Manectric, there are others that quite enjoy the boost to speed such as Eelektross, Electivire, Zapdos (to roost on a predicted stone edge for example), Rotom-W etc. For this reason I think it still holds a valid niche, if smaller than the niche on bug teams, and therefore deserves a C rank.

I disagree with the idea that electric's fast enough already. While a good number are plenty fast enough already: Thundurus, Mega Manectric, there are others that quite enjoy the boost to speed such as Eelektross, Electivire, Zapdos (to roost on a predicted stone edge for example), Rotom-W etc. For this reason I think it still holds a valid niche, if smaller than the niche on bug teams, and therefore deserves a C rank.
Zapdos is almost always used as a Defogger since Electric gets no hazard remover otherwise, and wasting a team slot just to Roost last is kind of wasteful. Almost every single Monotype as access to Defog / Rapid Spin and Electric can't really prevent it from happening (Unless if you use Rotom). Elektross is normaly paired with an Assault Vest w/ Drain Punch, and with its 50 base speed stat it's not going to outspeed anything unless if it's Jolly. This may not seem important, but the power loss is extremely noticeable since it doesn't really hit hard unless if its SE / STAB. Also, Electivire outclasses Elektross as an physical attacker.
Electivire is usually used as an solution to Dragons, Chansey / Blissey, Ferrothorn, and maybe Mega Venusaur (Psychic). Dragons are dealt by HP Ices, and Thundurus / Jolteon already outspeeds every non scarfed Dragon bar Noivern. Chansey's already slow so web's aren't that important. Ferrothorn's slow as well, and Electivire already outspeeds Mega Venusaur, even before webs. Yes, you get to run Adamant / Modest, but everthing that Electivire's meant to kill is already mostly slow.
For Rotom, it'll be running a Defensive set with Will-o-Wisp or a Trick Scarf set. It shouldn't be running anything else lol. One of the sets already has speed, while the other doesn't really care. Overall, you shouldn't really run Webs because it has no viable purpose
Edit: Electivire also needs to run a mixed set to fufill reach its full potential. Obviously, it'll take some of your precious EVs :[

Reserving Ninetales!

Last edited:
Ninetales (Firefox) for C Rank!

Ninetales @ Leftovers / Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic / Hypnosis
- Flamethrower
- Roar / Disable
- Solar Beam / Energy Ball

Explanation: Ninetales always had mediocre stats and a lot of beginners wonder why it was in OU during BW. The answer was that it got one of the best abilities in the game: Drought. With that, people could run Sun teams w/o wasting a turn to set up. However, in XY Charizard-Y came and shoved Ninetales all the way back to NU. The same thing has happened here, but Ninetales could still find some use in a Fire Monotype Team. Mostly if you extremely hate Water teams. The fact that it has a pretty limited support move pool sucks too.

How to Use: Ninetales is only used as a Water move absorber. It actually gets a pretty decent special defenses meaning it can tank a good amount of Water moves before dying. However, it doesn't get reliable Recovery like Charizard Y (Charizard gets better defenses too js). After taking a Water move, Ninetales can proceed to status something or hit it with a Solar Beam (Nowhere near as strong as Charizards. But it can 2HKO a majority of Water types).

Max HP + Sp Def for better Water tanking
Will-o-Wisp cripples physical attackers like Hippowdon. Toxic puts set up sweepers on a timer. Hypnosis is for unreliable trolling
Flamethrower is for reliable STAB. Does decent damage under sun.
Roar is for phasing, while Disable helps to some extent. There are no better options :P
Solar Beam can 2HKO a majority of Water types, while Energy Ball might be able to 3HKO them.

Where's Mega Ninetales with Harsh Sunlight?!

Do not use Ninetales as a Charizard replacement unless if you're using Mega Houndoom

Last edited:
Mega Pinsir S Rank (Bug)

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Earthquake/ Close Combat/ Stone Edge

General Info
Couple reasons why the number 1 reason is it is similar to mega Mawy if it gets up an sd it sweeps and has decent bulk to take hits. It works as a wall breaker (although not as great as mega hera, but it is faster than mega herra with a base speed of 105 being pretty fast). couple things it does is with its amazing coverage moves you can eliminate the one thing that walls your Pinsir and proceed to sweep with it later in match with little to no effort.
Abilities before mega evolution
The two good abilities are mold breaker and moxie. One reason mold breaker be used is to kill rotom-w with eq and to kill magenzone without worrying about sturdy. Moxie is the ability that is used more you can kill something that is weak with quick attack and get plus 1 for free.
Stealth rocks
One cool thing about Mega Pinsir is that before it megas up unlike Zard-x it does not get raped by Stealth Rocks before mega evolution. Also similar to fire with Zard-y Mega Pinsir on bug needs a spinner (Armaldo or Forretress) or Scizor with defog. To conclude Mega Pinsir should be S rank for being able to sweep with little effort and a very strong priority and good coverage moves.

Mega Houndoom for C-rank (Fire):

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Grass]/Flame Charge/Any really other notable move this thing gets

Mega Houndoom (Especially in sun) is a pretty devastating wall-breaker, though its main issue is that you have to use Ninetales in order to use Mega Houndoom effectively. Costing up your mega slot (When you could use the Charizards instead on Mono-Fire) and its various amount of weaknesses prevent me from ranking it higher.

Edit: Turns out the current Houndoom ranking is for Mono-Dark. Ok then.

Last edited:
Mega Pinsir S Rank (Bug)

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Earthquake/ Close Combat/ Stone Edge

General Info
Couple reasons why the number 1 reason is it is similar to mega Mawy if it gets up an sd it sweeps and has decent bulk to take hits. It works as a wall breaker (although not as great as mega hera, but it is faster than mega herra with a base speed of 105 being pretty fast). couple things it does is with its amazing coverage moves you can eliminate the one thing that walls your Pinsir and proceed to sweep with it later in match with little to no effort.
Abilities before mega evolution
The two good abilities are mold breaker and moxie. One reason mold breaker be used is to kill rotom-w with eq and to kill magenzone without worrying about sturdy. Moxie is the ability that is used more you can kill something that is weak with quick attack and get plus 1 for free.
Stealth rocks
One cool thing about Mega Pinsir is that before it megas up unlike Zard-x it does not get raped by Stealth Rocks before mega evolution. Also similar to fire with Zard-y Mega Pinsir on bug needs a spinner (Armaldo or Forretress) or Scizor with defog. To conclude Mega Pinsir should be S rank for being able to sweep with little effort and a very strong priority and good coverage moves.
Nice write up, but Floe already wrote Pinsir lol I'll still quote it tho

Lando-I S Rank (Flying)
Landorus (M) @ Life Orb

Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off/ Rock Slide/U-turn/ Hidden Power (Ice)/Psychic (note you must change evs & nature (ivs for hp ice) hidden power ice and Psychic)

General Info
Lando-I alone is a threat with Earth Power plus focus blast coverage it breaks steel's core with close to 0 effort. the standard set listed above shows that lando is more than capable of kill many threats and has good fillers. Knock off makes it so chansey is no longer a counter to it (then it will to 2 hit ko with focus blast). One of the best moves on lando-i is Sludge Wave, this moves makes it so grass has to be scared of lando. it also grants flying an advantage over fairy which it does not have. the other move that is common is rock slide this is mainly used to kill Volcarona before it even gets a chance to boost. the next viable move is u-turn which is most often used to get out of an unfavorable matchup. Psychic is used to beat certain fighting types such as herracross which it could not ohko before Psychic is a good filler move if you are worried about fighting types. the last filler move is hp ice which is used to beat lando(I and T) and Gliscor as well. Overall lando's special movepull is just fantastic.

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Gravity
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave/ Psychic

Gravity lando-i
Gravity on flying may sound like a bad idea but it is actually a good idea it enables lando to never miss a focus blast and kill alot more mons without even needing a coverage move to do it. Gravity also makes lando able to kill pokemon like Zapdos in one shot which it could only 2 hit ko.

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off/ Superpower
- Rock Slide

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf

Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

Other Options
Although scarf special and physical sets are not as good as special life orbed Lando they are still options to look out for. Not much not much power on moves cause they are as big s a threat lo lando but are worth mentioning. In conclusion Lando's diverse movepull makes it fit on any flying team with ease and fill in any role a team needs. Another option i forgot to mention is cm and rock polish which are a dangerous sweepers . Lando is easy S rank for flying as it was for ground but it gives flying more than ground.

Last edited:
Nominating Scizor and Mega Scizor for S rank. (Bug)

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP 252 ATK 4 DEF/SP.DEF
Adamant nature
-Bullet Punch
-U-turn/Bug Bite
-Knock Off/U-turn
-Superpower

Scizor @ Life Orb
Adamant nature
-Bullet Punch
-U-turn/Bug Bite
-Knock Off/U-turn/Superpower
-Roost

Scizor @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Adamant nature
-Bullet Punch
-U-turn/Bug Bite (U-turn isnt very recommended but can also work)
-Knock Off/Superpower/Roost
-Swords Dance

Scizor @ Leftovers/Life Orb/Mental Herb (if you're desperate on defogging)
Adamant nature
-Bullet Punch
-U-turn/Knock Off/Tailwind
-Defog/Tailwind
-Roost

Mega Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant nature
-Bullet Punch
-U-turn/Knock Off/Tailwind
-Defog/Tailwind
-Roost

Mega Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant nature
-Bullet Punch
-Bug Bite/U-turn
-Knock Off/Superpower
-Roost/Knock Off/Superpower

Mega Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant nature
-Bullet Punch
-U-turn/Bug Bite (U-turn isnt very recommended.)
-Swords Dance
-Roost/Knock Off

Summary of his sets: It can run a variety of sets with its small movepool of 5-7 relevant moves and that is the reason he is so versatile. With technician, it can tear apart fairy and rock monotypes that give alot of trouble to bug monos, because of the almighty bullet punch. but just imagine it at +2. It isn't the best at supporting, but offers defog that is extremely handy for bug mono and tailwind that can also be very useful, specially if you have mega heracross.

Why does it deserve to be S rank? Should you even be asking that question? This thing is so versatile that i took half an hour just to write his movesets, its also so powerful that its not even funny. As i mentioned before, this thing can wreck rock and fairy monos that bug has alot of problems with, it also isnt too bad against disadvantages as it can serve as a nice revenge killer with his priority, and being that he isnt weak to any sort of priority, it buffs his revenge killing abilities even better. It can also serve as a fake out absorber. As if it wasn't good enough, even after the fact that its a great revenge killer, it has defog that surely can change the game, offering even more problems to fairy mono, removing klefki's screens that are only more annoying than god knows what. Mega Scizor can run all the same sets but with more bulk, speed and power, although choice band/life orb scizor is stronger.It also works as a bulky pivot, offering oppotunities to bring out the right pokemon without any sort of prediction.

Last edited:
Slowbro (Psychic) for A-rank

Slowbro @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Bold
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind / Toxic / Psychic / Psyshock / Focus Blast / Ice Beam
- Another option from above

With its 95 HP and 110 defense, slowbro serves as a supreme physical wall. On top of that, it gets regenerator, allowing it to switch out at low health and eventually reach full health again through double switches. While it does not have the support capabilities that mew does, it makes up for it through regenerator and the effective use of calm mind. Calm mind simultaneously patches up slowbro's special defense (making it very difficult to take down both physically and specially) and increase the power of its special moves; if slowbro's counters are removed, slowbro can sweep very reliably. Scald is even useful without a boost for burns (which is highly likely given slowbro's bulk). Optionally, one can also opt for toxic to get past special walls, assuming one is not using psyshock. Although slowbro is an amazing pokemon, it has three major downsides. First of all, its low speed makes it rather easy to revenge kill, given it is weak enough, forcing it to switch out and loose its boosts. In addition, its average special defense combined with its low speed makes it easy for powerful or super effective special attacks to take down slowbro before it can calm mind. Finally, it is very weak to status, and requires either rest (a waste of a moveslot) or status cure support to get around opposing stall. These downsides have lead me to believe that slowbro should be A-rank. can't wait for mega slowbro

Nani Man

__what__ does nani mean
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Heracross (A rank) for Bug

Heracross has great potential when used in Bug. Due to the beneficial support Bug offers in Sticky Web, Stealth Rocks, Spikes and Toxic Spikes, it wears down the enemy over time and allows Heracross to be an extremely good late game sweeper. Some sets that utilize this well include:
ScarfCross
########
Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie / Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

BandCross
########
Heracross @ Choice Band
Ability: Moxie / Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

The use of Sticky Web can allow you to use Adamant natured Heracross and lay in heavy damage to the opponent, whilst still outspeeding fast threats with the use of a Choice Scarf. The band set is most appropriate to reserve for use against walls that are a problem for your team as well as slower offensive threats that are effected by Sticky Web. Since Heracross' powerful attack stat can be used in conjunction with a Choice Band, Moxie boosts and high base power moves, it really leaves a massive dent and is why its abilities as a late game sweeper are great. However, the reason to opt into Jolly Nature is because of Web-immune pokemon, such as flying types and levitating ones. Despite this, I'd still say Adamant is sufficient enough because most scarf threats on Flying outspeed you regardless, exception of Togekiss (if it's Timid).

Some bug teams that run hyper offence can be vulnerable to status moves, mainly including burns. Heracross is the only bug type to be equipped with Guts and can allow for absorbing potential burns or other status moves. If you notice that your team has no way of handling status ailments, this is a good option and should be considered, despite losing the precious Moxie boosts. It aids with those pesky Sableyes, Rotoms, Mews and many others, and can punish them with a Guts boosted Megahorn.

all falls down

thanks ugly god
DRAGONITE (DRAGON) -> A RANK [Potentially S]
DRAGONITE (FLYING) -> A RANK

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch / Earthquake / ThunderPunch

Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Flamethrower / Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Tail

Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 64 Atk / 228 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

DRAGON
Dragonite is a very common Pokemon in the Monotype metagame, and it is for a very good reason. On Dragon monotypes, Dragonite is probably the best dragon dancer that they have, with multiscale assuring many opportunities to set up with defog support from Latias and Latios. Once Dragonite is boosted, it will have no problems smashing through Pokemon that dragons struggle to defeat, like Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Scizor, Heatran, Mew, and Slowbro. Dragonite is also one of Dragon's best late game sweepers and cleaners, both with the Dragon Dance set and the Choice Band set, as Dragonite's extremspeed is the best and only priority Dragon has to offer, aside from Zygarde's extremespeed, allowing it to kill weakened would-be threats such as Greninja, Mega - Medicham, and Gardevoir. Dragonite also has great versitility in that it can also run an effective specially defensive thunder wave shuffler set similar to Gyarados that will soften the opponent's team by controlling speed and hopefully weakening their Pokemon through the use of hazards from Garchomp, Druddigon, or Tyrantrum.

FLYING
On flying, Dragonite is mainly used for its Dragon Dance set for its amazing offensive core that it forms with Charizard Mega X. Dragonite and Charizard X when boosted effectively share the same checks and counters, and as a result of them boosting, they will weaken these Pokemon for each other to sweep later in the game. Many monotypes struggle to handle the Dragonite / Charizard combination due to the sheer power and ease of setting up. Dragonite can also use an effective choice banded set for late game sweeping and wall breaking, but it is less common on Flying monotypes. The strong priority in Extreme Speed is very helpful for flying monotypes too, however.The specially defensive thunder - wave set is not use often on Flying monotypes due to the number of better specially defensive walls that do not have the crippling 4x ice weakness, however it still has the potential to be effective.

Last edited:
Klefki A Rank Fairy
Klefki @ Light Clay

Ability: Prankster
Bold Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play/Spikes

General set on Klefki
Klefki is one of the best support pokemon on fairy having access to screens thunder wave with prankster is pretty good. this allows pokemon like Cefable and Azumaril to set up without much fear. Also it having foul play is key because I have seen so many people set up SD on Klefki and then get rekted by a foul play the next turn. Spikes is another option if you want to have hazards on field to break sashes
Klefki @ Leftovers

Modest Nature
- Iron Defense
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave/ Flash Cannon
- Draining Kiss

Set up sweeper Klefki
Set up sweeper Klefki is not great but it can work if you set it up right and do not get crited this set is worth mentioning cause in monotype room i hear people talking about it. One major flaw with this set is that Klefki can do so much better with support on a fairy team than it can as a set up sweeper which fairy already has multiple of.
Others moves on Klefki
There a couple of moves that deserve mention for Klefki which are most likely filler moves such as Play Rough, Toxic, Switcheroo, Substitute, Torment, Rain Dance, and Sunny Day. There are only a few decent moves that can be used on out of the bunch i listed. Although Rain Dance and Sunny Day are not seen much i felt like it is a good mention. PLay Rough, toxic, and, sub are all awesome moves on Klefki and perfectly viable and non gimmicky. Klefiki gets an A rating for the support it provides for fairy teams in setting up screens paralyzing fast pokes since fairy is a slow type overall and needs t-wave to check certain pokes like Genesect. The support it provides makes sweeping with Pokemon like Azumaril and Clefable a lot easier which makes it A rank since it almost always a must on fairy.

Last edited:

all falls down

thanks ugly god
Klefki A Rank Fairy
Klefki @ Light Clay

Bold Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play/Play Rough( if you use play rough change nature to minus special attack)

General set on Klefki
Klefki is one of the best support pokemon on fairy having access to screens thunder wave with prankster is pretty good. this allows pokemon like Cefable and Azumaril to set up without much fear. Also it having foul play is key because I have seen so many people set up SD on Klefki and then get rekted by a foul play the next turn. also play rough is an option if you want more fairy stab on your fairy team.
Klefki @ Leftovers

Modest Nature
- Iron Defense
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave/ Flash Cannon
- Draining Kiss

Set up sweeper Klefki
Set up sweeper Klefki is not great but it can work if you set it up right and do not get crited this set is worth mentioning cause in monotype room i hear people talking about it. One major flaw with this set is that Klefki can do so much better with support on a fairy team than it can as a set up sweeper which fairy already has multiple of.
Others moves on Klefki
There a couple of moves that deserve mention for Klefki which are most likely filler moves such as Spikes, Toxic, Switcheroo, Substitute, Torment, Rain Dance, and Sunny Day. There are only a few decent moves that can be used on out of the bunch i listed. Although Rain Dance and Sunny Day are not seen much i felt like it is a good mention. Spikes, toxic, and, sub are all awesome moves on Klefki and perfectly viable and non gimmicky. Klefiki gets an A rating for the support it provides for fairy teams in setting up screens paralyzing fast pokes since fairy is a slow type overall and needs t-wave to check certain pokes like Genesect. The support it provides makes sweeping with Pokemon like Azumaril and Clefable a lot easier which makes it A rank since it almost always a must on fairy.
slash spikes over play rough on the first set

Rhyperior (D Rank) for Ground

Rhyperior @ Choice Band
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature

- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Rock Wrecker
- Hammer Arm
- Thunder Punch / Fire Punch

Oh man, where to begin with this thing. Rhyperior is one of those Pokemon that tries too hard to act bad-ass when it's outclassed by almost every other Ground type, including its preevolution Rhydon. Monotype is highly unkind to Rhyperior and its lackluster typing, with some of the most common S/A-tier threats such as Keldeo, MegaZard Y, Thundurus, and Greninja absolutely obliterating it. Rhyperior's abysmal Special Defense is completely suspect to even the simplest of Water, Grass, and Ice special attacks, and the poor Speed prevents it from making use of its powerful Attack for even one turn. Solid Rock is a decent ability (making super effective attacks against it deal 3/4 the damage), but can only really function well against physical-based attacks.

However, not all is lost for the Drill Pokemon. Once its special-attacking threats are eliminated, Rhyperior can make for a decent late-game sweeper thanks to 140 Base Attack. STAB Earthquake is always a reliable must. While Stone Edge is a lesser-risk option than Rock Wrecker, the latter must be considered purely for its unrivaled 150 Power (adding STAB makes it an astonishing 225 Power, and that's not even adding into account Rhyperior's base Attack stat.) Hammer Arm provides coverage against Steel, Ice, and Dark teams without the need to worry about the Speed decrease (as if anyone expects Rhyperior to outspeed). Thunder Punch is for coverage against physical-based Water attackers, and Fire Punch hits physical Grass and Bug.

Adamant is the preferred ability as a pure offensive attacker, and Choice Band is likely the most useful item for it as a late-game sweeper.

Last edited:

all falls down

thanks ugly god
SYLVEON -> A RANK

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Ground / Baton Pass

Sylveon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Hidden Power Ground / Shadow Ball

Sylveon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Ground / Psyshock / Hidden Power Fire

Sylveon is not seen too often in the monotype Metagame mostly because of Fairy monotype's 6 Pokemon syndrome, but is underused and retains its niche of being the best cleric Fairies have to offer. It may receive competition from Clefable, but Sylveon has better stats. Sylveon's Heal Bell is essential for Fairy monotypes because of the fact that status cripples the whole team, whether it is a burn on Azumarill or Mawile, or Thunder wave on Clefable and Togekiss. Wish support is always appreciated, because Pokemon like Azumarill have no reliable recovery and will last much longer with wish
passes.

Sylveon can also use a surprise Choice Specs set that can catch people off guard. Specs Hidden Power Ground can easily dispatch of Heatran, one of Fairies' biggest threats, allowing for Pokemon like Mawile to sweep. In the same sense, Sylveon can take a different approach with Calm Mind and be a nuisance to take down.

all falls down

thanks ugly god
Florges
Florges -> C Rank

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

On paper, Florges seems like a good Pokemon, and it is, but only in tiers where there is no Sylveon and Clefable. Florges is completely outclassed by Sylveon, as Sylveon has higher HP for bigger wishes, and Sylveon's hyper voice is stronger than Florges' moonblast. Florges also receives stiff competition in Clefable as a cleric because of unaware and magic guard, but it holds the better stats. Because of Florges being outclassed and its predictability, really only having one set with deviation in EVs, Florges belongs in C rank.

truedrew

Banned deucer.
and now posting the one the only, DIGGERSBY OVERUSED SHOFU QUOTE!!!~~~~~!!!

Diggersby No For mono normal A rank.
Please Shrek(Diggersby) M
Life Orb/Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eves:
Band: 252 attack, 252 speed, 4 defense: Adamant/Jolly
Scarf: 252 attack, 252 speed, 4 defense: Adamant/Jolly
Life Orb: 76 hp, 252 attack, 176 speed

Moves:
-Return
-Earthquake
-U-turn/Quick Attack/Wild Charge
-Payback/Brick Break/Swords Dance

Introduction: Diggersby is the only normal mon introduced at the start of gen 6 which wasn't shit as has been the case for most of the past generations (yeah fear ratata aint workin no more son) Diggersby is potentially mono normals biggest friend vs steel types as without it mono normal is hard balled by well bulilt steel type monos (cough cough skarm ferro tran doublade cough cough). Digs is so good because of its secondary ground type and its ability HUGE POWER!!!!!!!!!

Explanation: Diggersby has a really high attack stat when coupled with an attack boosting item it allows it to muscle its way through a lot of walls. Watching a stab return tear up your team due to lack of ressists/walls is always a fun thing to watch c:

Now wildcharge seems off putting due to recoil, but its the only way of even toughing skarmory as otw you are hardwalled.
quickattack is there for priority as despite extremespeed being normal, mostly non normals get it. Uturn if you are using band/scarf and want to scout before button clicking for kills

Payback for pesky ghost types not named aegislash (mostly gengar) and brick break because it can.
Swords dance + life orb is scary as fuck like just total wall breaker

calcs:
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 378-446 (95.9 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 160-187 (47.9 - 55.9%) -- 27.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 374-442 (111.9 - 132.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 216-256 (64.6 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

yada yada diggersby is pretty good for mono normal and forms a nice offensive core with staraptor as it kills most of those pesky electric ttypes

upload_2014-9-20_8-39-13.png

Attachments

Diancie B Rank (Fairy)
Diancie @ Leftovers

Ability: Clear Body

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD

Sassy Nature

- Diamond Storm

- Stealth Rock

- Toxic

- Moonblast

General Info

Diancie on fairy typically acts like a mixed supporter. being 1 out of 3 fairy pokemon that has access to stealth rocks (best move in game) makes it a Pokemon that is seen on fairy pretty often since it outclasses Carbrink in every way and Clefable does not have room for Stealth Rocks. The main moves Diancie loves to use are Moonblast and Diamond storm which are the best versions of stab Diancie has for each side. A minus speed nature is ran since Diancie does not need much speed if Diancie is playing a support role.

Diancie @ Life Orb

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA

Quiet Nature

IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 2 Spe

- Trick Room

- Moonblast

- Diamond Storm

- Hidden Power [Fire]

Diancie @ Light Clay

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD

Careful Nature

- Reflect

- Light Screen

- Toxic

- Diamond Storm/Moonblast please note if you are running Moonblast change nature and evs

Other Options

Diancie can run an effective trick room set and can be an effective member on trick room teams because of its good defenses and high offenses. Hidden power fire can be changed with Psyshock/ Psychic/ Hidden Power Ice depending on coverage you want. Diancie also can run screens but it is outclassed in this regard by Klefiki because Klefiki has prankster but it can still be an effective screen setter if used right. Other options include cm sweeper which is ok but fairy has a lot of setup sweepers that are a lot better. Rest talk 2 attacks or 1 attack and toxic can be viable since Diancie does not have recovery outside of rest talk or lefites . One thing to mention it also has rock polish to increase its speed and becomes a fast threat. In Conclusion Diance should be B rank for 1 reason it is because of its typing being 4 times weak to bullet punch and rock type have so many weakness to common attacking types (ground and water). It is considered the best stealth rocker in fairy since it has same defenses as Cabrink but a better moves and offenses. Also it provides a decent check to and/or counter some bug types such as Volcarona. The one thing that holds Diancie back is that it has to be mixed it does not have a big physical or special movepull which makes it more B rank than A rank. The only reason it may be considered A rank is because it has the best move in the game Stealth Rocks (which fairy only has 3 setters that are legal including Diancie) but I consider it a solid B Rank Pokemon in monotype

Last edited:

Rhyperior (D Rank) for Ground

Rhyperior @ Choice Band
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature

- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Rock Wrecker
- Hammer Arm
- Thunder Punch / Fire Punch

Oh man, where to begin with this thing. Rhyperior is one of those Pokemon that tries too hard to act bad-ass when it's outclassed by almost every other Ground type, including its preevolution Rhyhorn. Monotype is highly unkind to Rhyperior and its lackluster typing, with some of the most common S/A-tier threats such as Keldeo, MegaZard Y, Thundurus, and Greninja absolutely obliterating it. Rhyperior's abysmal Special Defense is completely suspect to even the simplest of Water, Grass, and Ice special attacks, and the poor Speed prevents it from making use of its powerful Attack for even one turn. Solid Rock is a decent ability (making super effective attacks against it deal 3/4 the damage), but can only really function well against physical-based attacks.

However, not all is lost for the Drill Pokemon. Once its special-attacking threats are eliminated, Rhyperior can make for a decent late-game sweeper thanks to 140 Base Attack. STAB Earthquake is always a reliable must. While Stone Edge is a lesser-risk option than Rock Wrecker, the latter must be considered purely for its unrivaled 150 Power (adding STAB makes it an astonishing 225 Power, and that's not even adding into account Rhyperior's base Attack stat.) Hammer Arm provides coverage against Steel, Ice, and Dark teams without the need to worry about the Speed decrease (as if anyone expects Rhyperior to outspeed). Thunder Punch is for coverage against physical-based Water attackers, and Fire Punch hits physical Grass and Bug.

Adamant is the preferred ability as a pure offensive attacker, and Choice Band is likely the most useful item for it as a late-game sweeper.
I disagree with you and i think rhyperior deserves C rank, as it has horrible typing,bad special defense and no reliable recovery. But it does have some niches like stealth rock and the fact that not many thing can switch into this thing safely, it also has swords dance and rock polish boosting his already amazing attack stat and its bad speed. Its special defense problem can be solved using assault vest and a max spdef set, although it is easily revenge killed if it doesnt have rock polish set up, but once it is, this thing can deal some nice damage with its fantastic 140 attack. Overall, it isnt such a bad pokemon, but its not too great either, so thats why i think it deserves that rank.

Last edited:
Gardevoir-Mega A Rank (Psychic)

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite

Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]/ Focus Blast
- Protect/ Hidden Power [Fire]

General Info
Mega Gardevoir is just amazing it has one of hardest hitting stabs in the game and decent coverage and moves to back it up. The ability I would go with before mega evolution is trace since on most Psychic teams mew is there. The main reason Mega Gardevoir is an A tier Pokemon is that it gives Psychic a huge advantage over dark and helps Psychic get something with Psychic stab to deal with Poison and the Poison dark types such as Drapion and Skuntank. The rest of moves you have on mega Gardevoir are just preference. Most people pick Hidden Power [Ground] combo which gives decent coverage but not perfect coverage. Protect is used to make Mega Gardevoir a good scout and guarantee that it will get the base 100 speed. the other 2 moves you can run are Hidden Power [Fire] and Focus Blast for perfect coverage (note: you will need to change Ivs for hp fire). Overall Mega Gardevoir's base 165 special attack and its filler moves help remove its counters such as Heatran and get rid of them with no effort. Mega Gardevoir also with the decent special bulk can take special hits as well. Mega Gardevoir is one of those high reward no risk Pokemon on Psychic and is equally as good as Mega Medicham but they play different roles on Psychic.
Other moves
Moves to note it having access to are Destiny Bond, Wish, Healing Wish, Calm Mind, Heal Bell, Grass Knot, Energy Ball, Thunderbolt, and Wil-o-Wisp. All of these are viable some provide support while other provide extra not really needed coverage that might be useful. The support move that sticks out most is Wil-o-Wisp for Bisharp and Heal Bell seem interesting. Calm Mind is used for a late game sweeper Mega Gardevoir. Destiny Bond and healing Wish are interesting moves that you sacrifice yourself for the affect to work. Wish is just a cool form of recovery paired with Protect. In conclusion Mega Gardevoir has amazing coverage and strong moves and a large movepull and a strong dual stab to even hit Chansey. Couple of bad things that cause mega Gardievor for fall short of the mark are Low 80 speed before mega evolution which is mediocre at best and also the frail 68 defense but overall it is pretty good A tier poke hard, but other than that it is a great pokemon if there where an A+ tier i would rate it that because it poscess many qualities of S but it does not quite make it in 2 catagories one which is fixed after mega evoultion. This Pokemon is only scared of Genesect at the moment with iron head and bullet punch users and hard hitting physical attackers in general other than that its coverage and high special attack stat (165) with a superb movepull which makes this Pokemon A rank for Psychic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)