Monotype Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Physical Tyranitar

formerly Marquis of Blaze
IMO, the rankings are a little off because, for the most part, the rankings were based on either how necessary that each of them were to their respective type or how they actually affected the meta, which would produce different rankings. Stuff like Torkoal (A), Electric Eelektross (A), and Avalugg (S), Rock Cradily (A) don't have a huge impact on the meta, but they're simply just considered really important on their respective types.

Just looking at Psychic, Mega Medicham definitely should move down to at least A rank. Lots of types don't have a switch-in for it, and it even breaks Flying monotypes pretty well, but it just has tons of competition for the mega slot on Psychic. Mega Gardevoir's Fairy STAB is a lot more useful than Mega Medicham's Fighting STAB IMO, and Mega Gallade has proven to be really dangerous with Psychic's support and a higher Speed stat. Mega Medicham also just has poor overall bulk, so it definitely won't want to switch into Dark-types as much as Gardevoir or Gallade, and it is a lot more afraid of faster Pokemon. It'll need help switching in, so it does also need more support in that area too.
Meloetta also should move down to A rank, mostly for what's already been said. It's main niche of countering Ghost monotypes is now shared with Hoopa-U, and Hoopa-U does it arguably better since it can break through Mega Sableye and Aegislash with more ease. It still has the Ghost immunity over Hoopa-U though, so handles Shadow Sneak from the Doublade and Aegislash even if they've SD'd up.
The rest of the S-rank Psychic mons are pretty equally viable IMO, so I wouldn't mind keeping them up there if having 6 S-rank mons is fine :x

I think that the other S ranks that I'd like to see drop were already mentioned, so I'll just mention a few A ranks that should move.
Mega Audino (Normal) A rank -> B rank I've really only seen this used well on stall Normal, and it definitely can't be put on just any Normal monotype team. Although its main niche is serving as an answer to Fighting-types, Mega Lopunny and Mega Pidgeot can do so just as well, although they admittedly can't switch in well.
Lucario (Fighting) A rank -> B rank It has a nice typing, but its Speed stat just lets it down, allowing other Pokemon to revenge kill it pretty easily. I don't have much to say about it really, since I haven't actually used it, but it just isn't on par with the other A ranks.
Scizor (Steel) A rank -> B rank This really shouldn't be in A rank when you could easily just use Mega Scizor instead, which has higher bulk and doesn't have much competition for the Mega slot. It still has the Choice Band set keeping it viable, and, although Steelix and Aggron are considered poor Megas, it does keep the slot open if need be.

Just a few that I felt really needed to drop, so yeah .3.
I agree with everything you said despite maybe the Scizor one. I rarely see Mega Audino used, and it's Wish-Passing job is easily replicated by Chansey, without taking the Mega Slot. Mega Audino lacks the raw power to have an offensive presence, and cannot be buffed because of the Baton Pass clause, which is a shame, because it's very good movepool is put to waste. Mega Lopunny terrorizes Steel and Rock Types, but Mega Audino doesn't, and not even Fighting types worry about it much. Mega Audino cannot land KOs on most reasonable Fighting Pokemon, like Assault Vest Conkeldurr, Infernape, and others. Wish Passing, again, other Normal Types can do that job better, and just isn't viable enough in my opinion. Lucario, in Monotype Fighting, has no absolutely-needed niche and can be replaced by Special Infernape, etc.

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Honchkrow (Flying) A--->B

I feel like this is similar situation to Staraptor on flying where it is just overshadowed. This Pokemon gets completely overshadowded by Tornadus-T in monotype. Sure this Pokemon is a strong Life orb attacker, but it is not used a lot because most of the time it does not fit or there is another Pokemon that just does the job better. I feel like its niche is it can break steel teams with ease (Which Lando-I does already) and has priority sucker punch. This Pokemon just faces too much competition from other A Rank Pokemon such as Tornadus, Dragonite, and even the B Ranked Staraptor. Overall I feel this Pokemon was overranked because it was high in usage when it was being ranked (Sorry Drak). Overall I fewel like this Pokemon has lost its place on flying, so Honchkrow (Flying) A--->B

IMO, the rankings are a little off because, for the most part, the rankings were based on either how necessary that each of them were to their respective type or how they actually affected the meta, which would produce different rankings. Stuff like Torkoal (A), Electric Eelektross (A), and Avalugg (S), Rock Cradily (A) don't have a huge impact on the meta, but they're simply just considered really important on their respective types.

Just looking at Psychic, Mega Medicham definitely should move down to at least A rank. Lots of types don't have a switch-in for it, and it even breaks Flying monotypes pretty well, but it just has tons of competition for the mega slot on Psychic. Mega Gardevoir's Fairy STAB is a lot more useful than Mega Medicham's Fighting STAB IMO, and Mega Gallade has proven to be really dangerous with Psychic's support and a higher Speed stat. Mega Medicham also just has poor overall bulk, so it definitely won't want to switch into Dark-types as much as Gardevoir or Gallade, and it is a lot more afraid of faster Pokemon. It'll need help switching in, so it does also need more support in that area too.
Meloetta also should move down to A rank, mostly for what's already been said. It's main niche of countering Ghost monotypes is now shared with Hoopa-U, and Hoopa-U does it arguably better since it can break through Mega Sableye and Aegislash with more ease. It still has the Ghost immunity over Hoopa-U though, so handles Shadow Sneak from the Doublade and Aegislash even if they've SD'd up.
The rest of the S-rank Psychic mons are pretty equally viable IMO, so I wouldn't mind keeping them up there if having 6 S-rank mons is fine :x

I think that the other S ranks that I'd like to see drop were already mentioned, so I'll just mention a few A ranks that should move.
Mega Audino (Normal) A rank -> B rank I've really only seen this used well on stall Normal, and it definitely can't be put on just any Normal monotype team. Although its main niche is serving as an answer to Fighting-types, Mega Lopunny and Mega Pidgeot can do so just as well, although they admittedly can't switch in well.
Lucario (Fighting) A rank -> B rank It has a nice typing, but its Speed stat just lets it down, allowing other Pokemon to revenge kill it pretty easily. I don't have much to say about it really, since I haven't actually used it, but it just isn't on par with the other A ranks.
Scizor (Steel) A rank -> B rank This really shouldn't be in A rank when you could easily just use Mega Scizor instead, which has higher bulk and doesn't have much competition for the Mega slot. It still has the Choice Band set keeping it viable, and, although Steelix and Aggron are considered poor Megas, it does keep the slot open if need be.

Just a few that I felt really needed to drop, so yeah .3.
Tbh, Lopunny and Pidgeot are more preferable megas, but Audino is great on more stally normal teams with amazing base hp and defense, plus part fairy typing. I don't see why you would wanna drop it to B rank. Everything else I agree with.

Reactions: DoW

Vid

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
S Rank changes i want to see
Meloetta (Psychic)

Overall I would say this is a very solid Psychic Pokemon but with Hoopa-U decimating Ghost teams with ease I feel like this Pokemon is not longer a must on Psychic but still is a better counter to Aegiliash than Hoopa-U and can serve as a decent special wall

Thundrus-I (Flying)

Overall priority Thunder Wave is nice but this Pokemon is far from an amazing S Rank Pokemon. Overall very good special attacker but not the best flying Pokemon.

Hoopa-U (Psychic)

Overall this Pokemon is a new toy and now we know what it does I feel like it is not as important on a Psychic Team as Victini, Slowbro, Mew is. Very good wallbreaker decimates ghost but it gets picked up by priority easily because of its weak defense. Also if you don't have Melo SD aegi decimates your team

Mega Medicham (Psychic)

Very good wallbreaker but I feel like as the ORAS came out making the Metagame a lot faster this Pokemon has lost lots of the power behind it because in X and Y base 100 is fast but now in ORAS with the many base 110 megas it has lots it being usefull in every matchup. Also with speed boost in the metgame Mega Medichams bulk is terrible to top it off.

None atm I am fine with most of A Rank Pokemon.

Vid

Mandibuzz A--->B Rank (Flying)

Why A---->B
With Zapdos being readded to monotype this Pokemon is not as reliable as a defogger Zapdos is. Also not to mention Pokemon like Togekiss and Skarmory are also option as defoggers on Flying. Overall its niche as flying's best defoger has been taken from it by Zapdos thus making it less useful. Also not to mention its typing does not help flying cover any of its weakness and adds additional weakness. Overall since Zapdos got readded to monotype this Pokemon has lost its niche on flying because Zapdos is a better defoger and covers the electric weakness. Mandibuzz A--->B Rank (Flying)

HA I FINISHED EVERYTHING

Sae Sae are you proud? I didn't even accidentally refresh!

This is the "changelog" since I cba to put down everything. Note this is only B rank and below.

http://pastebin.com/JuDVJTNn
Tbh, I am not sure about a lot of these changes. Granted, some are good, but a lot of them just cross the the line for me (warning, may be a long list :x):
Lando T (Flying): Intimidate, great bulk, great offensive and defensive typing. That should stay S ranked.

Scolipede (Bug): I have little clue why that was opted for S rank tbh. It's a nice mon, but it doesn't benefit a ton besides good speed. It's by no means a Genesect repalcement, A rank is fine for that.

Mega Gardevoir: Great wallbreaker, covers the dark weakness very nicely, and in some ways is just as good or better than gallade. That should remain S rank.

Omastar (Rock): It's nice for sweeping ground, but, it's often unreliable due to sash and no reliable hazards control on rock. B rank suits it best I feel.

Hoopa-U (Dark): Why this was dropped I have no clue. Dark's best way of covering fighting, and another great sweeper against fairy. S Rank imo.

Mega Audino (Normal): As mentioned earlier, it is used less than the other 2 megas, but I feel it's still really great for stally teams, it has amazing defenses, and the part fairy typing is nice for fighting teams. It can still be A rank. (This 1 on the list is probably one of the more debatable ones)

Shuckle (Bug): Great for when you want hazards on 1 mon. Also has astounding defenses and a decent support movepull to go along with it (ex Knock Off, Encore, Toxic). A rank is good for it.

Ambipom (Normal): Why was that ranked up lol? I don't see it as very good at all aside from its good speed stat. It's a gimmick if anything tbh. D rank.

Yanmega (Bug): With the loss of genesect, Yanmega makes a decent special sweeper thanks to speed boost. B rank.

Gourgeist (Ghost: It's a great defensive wall, and leech seed is a nice niche on ghost. Makes a great core with Jellicent as well. I think that should be bumped up to B rank.

Fletchinder (Fire): Ik this was C Rank b4, but it helps with a lot of neutral matchups, including dragon, and after 1 sd, it can basiclaly sweep. I wouldn't mind seeing this B ranked.

Jirachi (Psychic): Idk why this was dropped to C. At least put it at B lol.

Mega Abomasnow (Ice): As it's typing isn't beneficial, I can assure you it is not on the same level as Mega Glalie. Helps a lot against water match ups, and its a nice bulky mon. Put it back at B.

Tyrantrum (Dragon): With the loss of Mega Altaria, there's been a need for a new sweeper, and a lot of people including myself have opted for Dragonite. Tyrantrum is still an amazing wallbreaker nonetheless. I think it should be B ranked again tbh.

Goodra (Dragon): Another sketchy move. It provides great coverage, and not to mention its an astounding defensive tank, with some compeition from Dragalge. They should be on the same level tbh, B rank.

Mega Absol (Dark): Another 1 I'm debatable on. Definatley not Dark's best mega, but, it's on the same level as houndoom in terms of viability. B rank.

Cofagrigus (Ghost): This was another left unchanged, but I thought now would be the chance to say something. It's a nice defensive wall, and has a really nice ability to neutralize abilities on contact. Also, trick room is rly nice on ghost teams, since a lot of the mons bar Gengar and Chandelure are fairly slow. I wouldn't mind seeing this as C rank.

Salamence: Overrated? Yes. Bad? Not at all, still a great sweeper even though it was so last gen. C/B rank.

Granbull: Final 1. This was another mon that was left unchanged, but I wanna say something. As it does have low speed, 1, intimidate is a rly nice niche. 2, it can wreck steel pretty well with a mix of Close Combat and Fire Punch, and 3, overall, it's a nice physical wallbreaker. In a way it is outclassed by Azumarill, but by no means is it that bad. I can tell you it is not worse than running Florges. Plus, trick room fairy op :x. C Rank.

These are my thoughts of the changes, I scrolled through and just made comments on what I didn't agree on. Lemmie know what yall think.

EDIT: Forgot a couple sorry.

Victini (Psychic): Psychic's best way of dealing with bug, and its on almost every team. It's got a ton of options for sets to run, and its overall a powerhouse. Needs to stay S ranked.

Klefki (Steel): While it does provide screens, its a nice fighting neutral, and priority twave, I don't see it being A rank on steel, especially since it has no reliable recovery. Great utility otherwise. I'm gonna vouch for B rank for that.

Luxray (Electric): I get it, it's great, but this 1's very debatable whether it's A or B rank for sure. It is 1 of electric's few viable physical attackers, and it's a powerhouse, but it doesn't have a lot of speed, which is my main concern. B/A (idk about that 1).

Mega Medicham (Fighting): Mega Altaria is gone, but it's still an amazing wallbreaker. The immediate power compared to needing to boost Gallade first is nice. Should stay S rank.

Tyranitar (Dark): This 1 has me scratching my head a little bit, bc this is another very debatable one. It's an astounding special defensive tank, and it is one of Dark's best SR setters, it doesn't help with fighting very much. S/A (tbh leaning more towards A, but again not sure).

Mandibuzz (Flying): As Vid mentioned, with Zapdos back, I don't see much of a reason to keep this at A rank since it's pretty much outclassed, besides foul play. B rank.

Empoleon (Water/Steel): In Steel's case, same situation. I wanna see how this would be at A rank, due to fire neutrality, something that can hit/sweep ground, and is just a nice special attacker. As for Water, it is amazing hazards control, setting sr, and removing all hazards, its rly cool. It's also a nice grass neutrality, and roar is handy. My main problem is it's lack of recovery, hence why iI'm questioning "is it really S rank?" Idk, that's pretty borderline for me tbh. S/A rank.

Last edited:
HA I FINISHED EVERYTHING

Sae Sae are you proud? I didn't even accidentally refresh!

This is the "changelog" since I cba to put down everything. Note this is only B rank and below.

http://pastebin.com/JuDVJTNn
Ummm...... no you did not Anttya. I still see Charizard X listed on Fire.

Sarcasm aside, I have my own nomination to make.

Excadrill S--->A Rank (Ground)

Why S---->A
Ever since the banning of Smooth Rock, it has become much harder for Excadrill to obtain the sweeps that it wants since Sandstorm will only last 5 turns instead of 8 (4 if you account switching out Hippowdon into Excadrill.) Mega Garchomp was affected too although its competitive viability was not affected by much. Excadrill on the other hand needs Sandstorm up in order to get sweeps done as 88 Speed just doesn't cut it by Monotype standards. Excadrill overall is still a solid wallbreaker/revenge killer but its not going to get Sand Rush sweeps as often as it did before. As a result of the Smooth Rock ban, Excadrill no longer defines the metagame but still has a good influence on it. Excadrill S--->A Rank (Ground)

Ummm...... no you did not Anttya. I still see Charizard X listed on Fire.

Sarcasm aside, I have my own nomination to make.

Excadrill S--->A Rank (Ground)

Why S---->A
Ever since the banning of Smooth Rock, it has become much harder for Excadrill to obtain the sweeps that it wants since Sandstorm will only last 5 turns instead of 8 (4 if you account switching out Hippowdon into Excadrill.) Mega Garchomp was affected too although its competitive viability was not affected by much. Excadrill on the other hand needs Sandstorm up in order to get sweeps done as 88 Speed just doesn't cut it by Monotype standards. Excadrill overall is still a solid wallbreaker/revenge killer but its not going to get Sand Rush sweeps as often as it did before. As a result of the Smooth Rock ban, Excadrill no longer defines the metagame but still has a good influence on it. Excadrill S--->A Rank (Ground)
Tbh Wish I disagree with you. Yes, Exca can't sweep as long anymore, and needs to rely on his team mates, but I don't think that lowers his viability much. He is still the reigning best sweeper on ground teams, and a lot of people still use sand. It's still S rank by a long shot, trust me.

I'm gonna make a nomination I never thought I would have to explain, but here we are...

Gengar A--->S Rank (Poison)

Ever since Gen 1, Gengar has been widely regarded as the best poison type in the game (Arceus nonwithstanding). It's easy to see why, with an excellent speed tier, great special attack, an even greater movepool, and coveted typing. Gengar's ability makes it immune to ground type moves, which is essential for a poison mono. Though weak to psychic, it does not share ghost/dark weaknesses with any other poison pokemon, so it has great synergy.

The thing that makes Gengar an S-rank and not just A-rank is the fact that it can be whatever you want. Need something to cripple walls? How about a strong and fast special attacker? Super-fast scarfer? Annoyer? Gengar does it all. Literally every team archetype can benefit from what Gengar brings to the table.

Gengar is certainly better than Nidoking or Scolipede, the current non-mega S-ranks. Nidoking's significantly lower base speed lets it down, and while it is a strong attacker it never runs any non-attack moves (predictable) and will never break through Chansey or other special walls. Scolipede probably would be worthy of S-rank if it could pass speed/atk/def, but with the BP nerf it is usually seen as a physical attacker. While important for a poison team, it will struggle vs prominent physical walls like porygon-2, hippowdon and skarmory.

Gengar, however, can be tailored to beat whatever troubles your team. Its scarf set outruns all common scarfers Excadrill in the sand and OHKOs many of them with the appropriate move. It can run sub/disable to piss off walls, or trick-scarf to piss them off more. As long as you recognize its shortcomings (it will never be a wall or physical attacker), Gengar always pulls its weight in a match.

Its ghost typing is vital in dispatching psychics, and it has a wide enough movepool to cover your team's blind spots. I could go on and on, but the fact that this pokemon was considered anything but S-rank boggles my mind. If Mew is worthy of S-rank on psychic due to its versatility, I don't see how Gengar can be anything but S.

I'm gonna make a nomination I never thought I would have to explain, but here we are...

Ever since Gen 1, Gengar has been widely regarded as the best poison type in the game (Arceus nonwithstanding). It's easy to see why, with an excellent speed tier, great special attack, an even greater movepool, and coveted typing. Gengar's ability makes it immune to ground type moves, which is essential for a poison mono. Though weak to psychic, it does not share ghost/dark weaknesses with any other poison pokemon, so it has great synergy.

The thing that makes Gengar an S-rank and not just A-rank is the fact that it can be whatever you want. Need something to cripple walls? How about a strong and fast special attacker? Super-fast scarfer? Annoyer? Gengar does it all. Literally every team archetype can benefit from what Gengar brings to the table.

Gengar is certainly better than Nidoking or Scolipede, the current non-mega S-ranks. Nidoking's significantly lower base speed lets it down, and while it is a strong attacker it never runs any non-attack moves (predictable) and will never break through Chansey or other special walls. Scolipede probably would be worthy of S-rank if it could pass speed/atk/def, but with the BP nerf it is usually seen as a physical attacker. While important for a poison team, it will struggle vs prominent physical walls like porygon-2, hippowdon and skarmory.

Gengar, however, can be tailored to beat whatever troubles your team. Its scarf set outruns all common scarfers Excadrill in the sand and OHKOs many of them with the appropriate move. It can run sub/disable to piss off walls, or trick-scarf to piss them off more. As long as you recognize its shortcomings (it will never be a wall or physical attacker), Gengar always pulls its weight in a match.

Its ghost typing is vital in dispatching psychics, and it has a wide enough movepool to cover your team's blind spots. I could go on and on, but the fact that this pokemon was considered anything but S-rank boggles my mind. If Mew is worthy of S-rank on psychic due to its versatility, I don't see how Gengar can be anything but S.
I definately see your points, but tbh idk. For 1 it's pretty frail, and usually without LO or specs it won't inflict a ton of damage bar super efficient attacks. I personally see Nidoking and Scoli more viable than him, that's only me though.

all falls down

thanks ugly god
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I don't understand the whole "*do not add anything to the type" thing because the whole reason they're ranked that high is because they add something for the type; Manaphy may be only mono-water typing, but it is the best wallbreaker that Water teams have, and it can also be a status absorber for teams without Lanturn and it can provide rain support. Mega Diancie adds so much to the type; a good mixed attacker and a strong physical move that Fairy teams don't have much of, hazard control (people usually just use scarf/offensive Togekiss without defog), and it's also like the only Pokemon Fairy teams have that's actually fast

My logic: If the Pokemon is very good at something (on their own as you put it), then by definition they add that thing that they are very good to the type.
so either I'm not understanding this or it doesn't make sense :S

Tbh Wish I disagree with you. Yes, Exca can't sweep as long anymore, and needs to rely on his team mates, but I don't think that lowers his viability much. He is still the reigning best sweeper on ground teams, and a lot of people still use sand. It's still S rank by a long shot, trust me.
I definately see your points, but tbh idk. For 1 it's pretty frail, and usually without LO or specs it won't inflict a ton of damage bar super efficient attacks. I personally see Nidoking and Scoli more viable than him, that's only me though.
The thing about Gengar is that it doesn't have to be an all out attacker. It's versatility means that every team has to play around it carefully since Gengar pretty much chooses what will check him. The fact that there are so many different sets for Gengar and it pretty much threatens every team aside from Dark is definitely S Rank material in my eyes. Yes, it has weaknesses to Dark, Ghost, and Psychic while also frail. But those are only minor cons when compared to the pros. Not much on Poison are even weak to Dark or Ghost either. Like Arash said, Nidoking is so predictable with a somewhat lacking speed tier while Scolipede is pretty much stopped by dedicated physical walls. I see no reason for Gengar to not be S Rank on Poison.

Last edited:

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
The thing about Gengar is that it doesn't have to be an all out attacker. It's versatility means that every team has to play around it carefully since Gengar pretty much chooses what will check him. The fact that there are so many different sets for Gengar and it pretty much threatens every team aside from Dark is definitely S Rank material in my eyes. Yes, it has weaknesses to Dark, Ghost, and Psychic while also frail. But those are only minor cons when compared to the pros. Not much on Poison are even weak to Dark or Ghost either. Like Arash said, Nidoking is so predictable with a somewhat lacking speed tier while Scolipede is pretty much stopped by dedicated physical walls. I see no reason for Gengar to not be S Rank on Poison.
I agree with everything, but I just wanted to add that Gengar even threatens Dark teams since it commonly carries Focus Blast and sometimes Dazzling Gleam. I've even been testing a Poison team lately with Destiny Bond on Gengar and I use it as a Mega Sableye check. If Sableye boosts up, I can drag it down with me when it goes for the KO. You have to play carefully, but even Dark teams can be worried about it if it has the right set. Gengar's rank drop was the most surprising for me by far.

dawnmidst

I COULD BE BANNED!
Nominating Solrock (Rock) for C/D Rank on Rock

Explanation:
Solrock has a very unique typing, only shared with his partner in crime, Lunatone. However there are some reasons why it is the better Rock/Psychic Type on Rock and why it deserves at least D Rank. To start things off, Solrock is a very solid switch-in to ground type attacks, such as Landorus-I's Earth Power and any Choiced EQ with its ability Levitate. A lot of people don't see this coming, as Solrock isn't very common to begin with. It has a solid support movepool consisting of Stealth Rock, Will-O-Wisp, Dual Screens, Toxic, Magic Coat, and Baton Pass. Solrock also has access to reliable recovery in the form of Morning Sun, however it can't be relied on too heavily with sand in play. While its stats arent the greatest. It has mediocre defenses of 70 / 85 / 60. However, with its movepool, it is a considerably nice Pivot and Support mon, which Rock doesn't have a lot of. In fact, it is the only legal Rock Type with Will-O-Wisp excluding Magcargo (which is unusable). Solrock comes in quite handy against Ground and Fighting match-ups, as well as Normal, Psychic, Flying, Fire, Poison, Electric, and holds its own against any other type with an Earthquake user. Solrock has a huge 6 amount of weaknesses, so it will require some good teammates to pair with. Cradily covers Grass and Water, Mega Aggron covers Bug, Steel, and Grass, while Diancie, Tyranitar, and Terrakion covers Dark, all of these are pretty common and helpful on Rock Monotype Teams. Solrock is not recommended for newer Monotype players.

Sets:

Defensive Pivot
Solrock @ Leftovers / Babiri Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe OR 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock / Magic Coat
- Will-O-Wisp
- Zen Headbutt
- Morning Sun / Pain Split

This set is a pivot set that helps against primarily Physical teams such as Ground and Fighting. The EVs are just so that it can maximize as most defensive capabilities as possible, then you can either run 4 Speed to outspeed 0 Speed Skarm or you can run 4 Attack for a slight Zen Headbutt boost. The item of choice is a lefties to help aid recovery, however the Babiri Berry can be nice against an opposing Excadrill Iron Head on Ground, which would usually OHKO with a Life Orb or Choice Band, allowing you to get a Willo off on the Exca, but this can be situational so choose wisely. Stealth Rock is going to be your form of entry hazard off of an opposing switch or bad stay in. Magic Coat is also an option for teams with Mega Aggron and a lack of Hazard Control, but Stealth Rock is prefered unless you already have a Rocks setter. Will-O-Wisp is nice for those pesky physical attackers, and if a special one switches in, extra chip damage is always helpful. Zen Headbutt is mainly for Fighting Types since it is neutral to their attacks, can often work well on an incoming Keldeo switch. Lastly for recovery you can have Morning Sun or Pain Split. I would choose Morning Sun personally, but it honestly doesn't matter as long as you have recovery.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-270306300
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/eos-monotype-87707
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/infinite-monotype-8754
Screens Suicide Lead
Solrock @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD OR 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Impish Nature
- Light Screen
- Will-O-Wisp / Stealth Rock / Magic Coat
- Reflect
- Explosion

This is a nice little suicide lead here, it is one of the only screen setters on rock. While Carbink outclasses it on the Defensive Side, Solrock has a more powerful Explosion attack and has access to Will-O-Wisp. The main thing that sets it apart from Carbink is that it is not predicted to set up screens. For EVs you can do Physically or Specially Defensive depending on your teams needs. Light Screen and Reflect are obviously to up the bulk of the team for 8 turns. Your choice of support move in Will-O, Stealth Rock, or Magic Coat again depending on what you need for your team or if you just want a certain move in General. Lastly, Explosion is there to remove Solrock to get as many Screen turns as possible but also for a good chunk of damage against a neutral opponent.

Other Options: Baton Pass is another option with access to boosting moves such as Calm Mind and Cosmic Power. It can also run a Trick Room set on a Trick Room team or just Trick Room on its own. However both of these are better performed by Lunatone, and Diancie is by far the best Trick Room user on Rock.

Why C/D Rank: Solrock can perform well against weaknesses and non-weaknesses, and has a couple of sets it can run. It is the only defensive immunity to Ground on Rock. Has a really nice move in Will-O-Wisp and can provide support for Rock, which lacks in support. Finally it is a nice pivot on Ground Type Attacks and can really help gain momentum for an offensive-based type. However it has its let downs such as mediocre stats, and poor defensive typing.

Last edited:

I would like to mention that I am pretty sure Nidoking gets superpower to hit things like chansey but I agree that Gengar should be moved back to S rank.

I would like to mention that I am pretty sure Nidoking gets superpower to hit things like chansey but I agree that Gengar should be moved back to S rank.
assuming that you are slapping superpower onto an otherwise specially-based set:

4 Atk Life Orb Nidoking Superpower vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 302-356 (47 - 55.4%)

enjoy lowering your attack while chansey heals itself with wish and forces you out. You could run a physical Nidoking and come out on top, but then you are running a crappier physical attacker when compared to Scolipede.

[URL='http://www.smogon.com/forums/members/stunfisk-the-great.229630/']Stunfisk The Great[/URL] said:
Gengar has 60/60/75 bulk, Nidoking gets 81/77/75, and Scolipede has 60/89/69. None of these guys are going to take many neutral hits, especially with no investment in bulk.

Physical Tyranitar

formerly Marquis of Blaze
S Rank changes i want to see
Meloetta (Psychic)

Overall I would say this is a very solid Psychic Pokemon but with Hoopa-U decimating Ghost teams with ease I feel like this Pokemon is not longer a must on Psychic but still is a better counter to Aegiliash than Hoopa-U and can serve as a decent special wall

Thundrus-I (Flying)

Overall priority Thunder Wave is nice but this Pokemon is far from an amazing S Rank Pokemon. Overall very good special attacker but not the best flying Pokemon.

Hoopa-U (Psychic)

Overall this Pokemon is a new toy and now we know what it does I feel like it is not as important on a Psychic Team as Victini, Slowbro, Mew is. Very good wallbreaker decimates ghost but it gets picked up by priority easily because of its weak defense. Also if you don't have Melo SD aegi decimates your team

Mega Medicham (Psychic)

Very good wallbreaker but I feel like as the ORAS came out making the Metagame a lot faster this Pokemon has lost lots of the power behind it because in X and Y base 100 is fast but now in ORAS with the many base 110 megas it has lots it being usefull in every matchup. Also with speed boost in the metgame Mega Medichams bulk is terrible to top it off.

None atm I am fine with most of A Rank Pokemon.
You're contradicting yourself, at first you said that Hoopa-U was important, and now you said that it isn't.

Anyway, I agree with everything you said here besides the Hoopa one, it's one of the main things saving Psychic from Ghost and can sweep it, as you had said. Meloetta is decent, but her role can be replaced.

Vid

You're contradicting yourself, at first you said that Hoopa-U was important, and now you said that it isn't.

Anyway, I agree with everything you said here besides the Hoopa one, it's one of the main things saving Psychic from Ghost and can sweep it, as you had said. Meloetta is decent, but her role can be replaced.
the metagame changes. Hoopa-U was a new toy and people couldn't predict it. Now I feel as if my view on the metagame has changed. A great example of this is tornadus-t if i asked in x and y what do you think about tornadus-t you would say it sucks. Now if i asked you would think it is pretty good. I felt like Hoopa being new made me think it was S Rank material when in reality many types can check it easily and it is pretty slow forcing scarf to be used to make up for slow speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)