Ladder Monotype [Read post #393 for Tiering Updates]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pidgeot's awesome on normal tbh. You can have BulkyRaptor while having a Bird Spam mon. 121 speed outspeeds every viable non scarfed Fighting mons, and HP Ground + Heat Wave gets rid of troublesome steels (aka Ferrothorn & Heatran)

Edit: I'm not biased or anything ;)

Last edited:
Pidgeot's awesome on normal tbh. You can have BulkyRaptor while having a Bird Spam mon. 121 speed outspeeds every viable non scarfed Fighting mons, and HP Ground + Heat Wave gets rid of troublesome steels (aka Ferrothorn & Heatran)

Edit: I'm not biased or anything ;)
Idk.

It's fast, but mega-lopunny hits as hard and normal isn't starving for flying coverage. Dazzling Gleam Mega-Audino plows through fighting teams as well, and keeps most set ups for subbing on it (mega-dos, keldeo, etc). Mega-Lopunny has abusable speed (enough to run adamant if you like), HJK, and other abusable stabs (sub/encore ftw). Idk, it doesn't rank high for me. Even modest Mega-Pidgeot feels.... underwhelming.

I just wish it had a broader movepool (inb4 hydro pump/fire blast/focus blast and wynaut, just give it stone miss and dynamic punch .3.)

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
The Pidgeot-Mega Hype disgusts me... at 77th there are plenty of things below it that just send my blood boiling. The most interesting trend after that is using control+f to look for pokemon with a single type that are nearly always members of a team. A dragon mvp like goodra or a ghost staple like aegislash appears way down, while the ground exclusive hippowdon lags a bit at 55 and for big bad psychic-flying-normal-fairy-and bug? mons you won't have to scroll at all.

Water is by far the most diverse type atm, with the only concession seeming to be greninja/azumaril, as their next listings are gyarados at 40th place and then swampert at 62nd.. which indicates a plain lack of trendsetting regarding what to use and wildly different team compositions.

Also I was wrong, it DOES seem to be lopunny making normal teams so badass in this metagame.

Psychic and to a degree flying and steel, seem to be much less willing to use their "other option" pokemon, and are happy to just play a game of swap the mega. The best example is lucario's and deoxys-D's distance from their brethren. The confidently high placement of jirachi and duoblade surprises.

A handful of really nice pokemon get stuck in the hell that is 150-300 that seem more deserving than the lower end of the most used mons.

All I really have to say after sifting through this is... when did bug become a first string type?
Pidgeot may not be the best mega option that Normal has access to, but saying that its usage disgusts you is a little unreasonable. TM93 and Anttya both explained why it's good. There's no reason not to at least try it and some people probably really like the special attacking power and sweeping potential it brings, so they stick with it.

A type that's as diverse as water would make sense to have such low usage statistics for its members. Like you said, there are different team compositions and because there are such a ridiculously high number of water types, a much higher percentage of those compositions are likely to be successful because you have more pokemon available to fill each role on a team.

The nice pokemon towards the 150-300 range that you mention are probably due to type usage. Flying, Bug, Dark, Psychic, etc are all common types and therefore the oddball pokemon that you might put on a team of one of those types might get higher usage than a common pokemon that's on a much less common type, such as Ice or Grass for example.

Also, I'm a little surprised you didn't realize Bug was so prevalent. Genesect, Mega Pinsir, Mega Scizor, reg Scizor, Mega Heracross, reg Heracross, Volcarona, multiple viable spinners in Forretress and Armaldo, easy access to Sticky Web. It's an extremely viable type at the moment.

Funny to see how some mons are actaully "UU Monotype" even if this doesn't mean anything due to the fact that Mon having two types can be played in both. Few ones I saw were Ice, Grass, Ghost and Electric mons, like Kyurem-White, Shaymin-Sky, Aegislash, Thundurus, Rotom-Wash, Gengar, Venusaur, and Manectric. Also Deo-D and Deo-s has incredibly low usage.

WTF Avalugg is only 109 when Mamoswine, Cloyster, Weavile and Articuno have a better rank double type. But I was surprised by Artcinuo anyway. And Kyu-W has actually more usage than Avalugg when ALL Ice-team should have that, so disappointing.

And it's actually true that the Bug type is really common, but the Dark one really grew up in usage recently to what I've seen. I think we all know the reason of that : having access to the amazing Greninja, and the new Mega-Sableye, both being suspectworthy is already a thing. But they also have a great special wall + stealth rock setter named TTar, a Sweeper that can really destroy everything including MSable and MBro, also having acces to priority named Bisharp (currently running a lot of Lum), a reliant defoger in the from of Mandibuzz and finally another great special attacker, either scarf or choice : Hydreigon. This is a typical Dark team I faced a lot of time and really gave me trouble particularly against my Mono-ghost è_é

Apologies for the double post, but I'm just going to put this here so people know where it is: http://www.smogon.com/stats/2014-11/monotype-1760.txt

Those represent the usage stats for the top end of the ladder for Monotype for last month, and while you should never base an argument for a poke to be suspected on usage, it does give an interesting insight into the current metagame and what types are popular in particular. As we can see, Flying looks popular, with Skarmory, Togekiss, Dragonite and Zapdos all finding places in the top 10. Water also retains a strong position in the meta, with Azu, Greninja and Keldeo filling 3 of the spots in the top 10, however they are very popular on their other types too. This is an important point to consider too, that pokemon with two popular types that are useful on both kinds of teams will inevitably be higher in usage. Looking at weaker types in the metagame, it's noticeable that Grass and Ice have very little presence in the top end of the list, with the first Grass type coming in at #38 and the first Ice at #29, and even this can largely be attributed to popularity on other type teams. Anyway I just found this quite interesting, feel free to comment on any other trends you see, but I'll say it again, don't use usage as an argument as to whether something should be suspected or not.
If you're interested in looking at how common the various monos are, you're better off using the metagame statistics instead of trying to figure it out from Pokemon usage: http://www.smogon.com/stats/2014-11/metagame/monotype-1760.txt

To summarize, at the 1760 level the most popular monotype by a wide margin is flying (12.6%). Next are bug and psychic (9.9%), then steel (9.3%), then normal (8.4%), fairy (8.1%), dragon (7.5%), water (6.9%), dark (6.8%) and fighting (6.2%). The least common by far is electric (0.6%), followed by rock and grass (1.0%).

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you're interested in looking at how common the various monos are, you're better off using the metagame statistics instead of trying to figure it out from Pokemon usage: http://www.smogon.com/stats/2014-11/metagame/monotype-1760.txt

To summarize, at the 1760 level the most popular monotype by a wide margin is flying (12.6%). Next are bug and psychic (9.9%), then steel (9.3%), then normal (8.4%), fairy (8.1%), dragon (7.5%), water (6.9%), dark (6.8%) and fighting (6.2%). The least common by far is electric (0.6%), followed by rock and grass (1.0%).
Do you have a thread that explains what constitutes a hit on some of the other playstyles? I have read your post on Stalliness, but I'm curious about voltTurn and the weather teams? How many voltTurn users are required? Is it just the presence of weather, or must it be accompanied by abilities that can abuse it? Is an item such as Damp, Smooth or Heat Rock required?

DoW

formally Death on Wings
I'm curious as to how it determines the playstyle as well (for example, most ground teams are hippowdon/excadrill, but sand offense is far lower than ground usage). I'd also like to know how dragmag is supposed to work O_O (It doesn't include magnezone/mega ampharos perhaps? That's the only way I can think of...)
Code:
dragmag....................... 0.00622%
And how the stalliness is measured would be interesting as well. I don't suppose it'd be possible to look at the stalliness for each type perhaps?

I'm trying to figure out why people aren't laddering with Fire anymore. I have always hated playing it with my own psychic teams as well, it's pretty nasty against the other "laddering" types, with the only ones going even or better being flying and water.

Do you have a thread that explains what constitutes a hit on some of the other playstyles? I have read your post on Stalliness, but I'm curious about voltTurn and the weather teams? How many voltTurn users are required? Is it just the presence of weather, or must it be accompanied by abilities that can abuse it? Is an item such as Damp, Smooth or Heat Rock required?
Amusingly, the answer to your question was linked to in the post you linked to in your subsequent reply: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/metagame-analyses-gen-vi-changes.3470954/

(for example, most ground teams are hippowdon/excadrill, but sand offense is far lower than ground usage).
Sand: must have at least Pokemon with Sand Stream, two with Sandstorm, or one with Sandstorm + Smooth Rock
Offense: Stalliness < 0

I'd also like to know how dragmag is supposed to work O_O (It doesn't include magnezone/mega ampharos perhaps? That's the only way I can think of...)
Code:
dragmag....................... 0.00622%
  • DragMag: At least two Dragon-type pokemon and at least one pokemon with Magnet Pull, Arena Trap or Shadow Tag.
So... Garchomp + Zygarde + Dugtrio? Latios + Latias + Wobbuffet?

DoW

formally Death on Wings
I'm trying to figure out why people aren't laddering with Fire anymore. I have always hated playing it with my own psychic teams as well, it's pretty nasty against the other "laddering" types, with the only ones going even or better being flying and water.
The problem with fire is it's a constant struggle against Stealth Rock, with their most viable method of getting rid of rocks being torkoal (which isn't amazing) and they can't just ignore the problem due to how useful Zard Y and Volcarona are, not to mention their only really useful rocks neutralities I can think of off the top of my head are heatran and infernape. It's still a decent type due to the damage it can put out, but against a team that can get stealth rock up easily and counter zard y with relative ease it's probably not going to win.

The problem with fire is it's a constant struggle against Stealth Rock, with their most viable method of getting rid of rocks being torkoal (which isn't amazing) and they can't just ignore the problem due to how useful Zard Y and Volcarona are, not to mention their only really useful rocks neutralities I can think of off the top of my head are heatran and infernape. It's still a decent type due to the damage it can put out, but against a team that can get stealth rock up easily and counter zard y with relative ease it's probably not going to win.
Fire has to be very aggresive about keeping stealth rocks off the field. Taunt Infernape is what I typically see.

TBH Fire would be top tier if a fire type had Magic Bounce or if heatran could use rapid spin

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Fire has to be very aggresive about keeping stealth rocks off the field. Taunt Infernape is what I typically see.

TBH Fire would be top tier if a fire type had Magic Bounce or if heatran could use rapid spin
I agree if it were a decent magic bouncer. Gen V Xatu didn't help flying out much TBH, though something like rapid spin heatran would certainly make fire plenty more viable.

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I've done a lot of battling lately outside of the ladder. I'm not sure if the ladder is the same, but I'm noticing a trend in the Normal teams I've been facing. It seems like almost all of them have Ditto and they've been surprisingly effective compared to how I remember Ditto being before ORAS. I asked in the monotype chatroom if anyone else had this experience and more or less half of the people that responded agreed that they had seen more Ditto lately. Have any of you noticed this trend or is it just my imagination? My theory is that it's because of all the new megas and how many of the most useful ones are checked by Ditto (Sableye, Gallade, Altaria, Latias, Metagross, Lopunny, and Pidgeot are the ones I can think of at the moment that are checked). I think Ditto might be more viable now in ORAS than it was in XY. Thoughts on this?

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've done a lot of battling lately outside of the ladder. I'm not sure if the ladder is the same, but I'm noticing a trend in the Normal teams I've been facing. It seems like almost all of them have Ditto and they've been surprisingly effective compared to how I remember Ditto being before ORAS. I asked in the monotype chatroom if anyone else had this experience and more or less half of the people that responded agreed that they had seen more Ditto lately. Have any of you noticed this trend or is it just my imagination? My theory is that it's because of all the new megas and how many of the most useful ones are checked by Ditto (Sableye, Gallade, Altaria, Latias, Metagross, Lopunny, and Pidgeot are the ones I can think of at the moment that are checked). I think Ditto might be more viable now in ORAS than it was in XY. Thoughts on this?
Ditto is definitely more viable in ORAS (or at least in our current metagame), and for exactly the reason you mentioned: Most of the new Mega's run set-up sets. In addition, the new Mega's have a trickle-down effect where other Pokemon that can setup "faster" become more viable. Manaphy is a prime example of this, but I think I've noticed more SD/NP users on the ladder as well.

I saw normal teams everywhere today, and almsot all of them had ditto. I agree that the shifts have been kind to it. It can keep you from sending things out for a long time, but none of the people I played were prepared for the eventuality of say, azumarill using play rough when it had won a free turn rather than bellydruming instantly. It's still very possible to turn ditto into a double edged sword for the opponent. Also no one I saw used smeargle. Not a single one.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Honestly I think ditto's always been very useful on stall normal monos. They need a way to deal with setup sweepers, and don't have access to unaware mons, so while the standard defensive core (formerly chansey/porygon2, now chansey/audino) deals with most things, ditto's extremely useful for discouraging setup and punishing those that do. For example, Zard X would be a big threat to normal monos if it weren't for ditto as at +2 flare blitz will hurt everything a whole load (though it's got to be careful of recoil vs. chansey). With ditto, however, if it gets to +2 it's in danger of massive damage being done against its own team, so can't afford to set up. This means chansey or one of the other walls can wall it and toxic stall it.

Honestly I think ditto's always been very useful on stall normal monos. They need a way to deal with setup sweepers, and don't have access to unaware mons, so while the standard defensive core (formerly chansey/porygon2, now chansey/audino) deals with most things, ditto's extremely useful for discouraging setup and punishing those that do. For example, Zard X would be a big threat to normal monos if it weren't for ditto as at +2 flare blitz will hurt everything a whole load (though it's got to be careful of recoil vs. chansey). With ditto, however, if it gets to +2 it's in danger of massive damage being done against its own team, so can't afford to set up. This means chansey or one of the other walls can wall it and toxic stall it.
Ditto still can't beat set ups with substitute or those that abuse calm mind or bulk up. It's still terrific for discouraging most set ups though.

It's also an unnerving switch in for many match ups, providing status or type immunity for those well versed in prediction.

Tbh I use ditto to scout out opponent's sets more than anything.

Last edited:
scpinion has been on me for a while now to give him access to the raw usage data so he can do some in-depth analysis. Part of that is looking at Pokemon usage for specific monotypes. I felt inspired, so I went ahead and coded it up (scpinion, no worries, I'm still planning on giving you access to the raw data). I've got a little more to do, but just as a teaser...

Pokemon usage for Mono-flying:
Code:
 Total battles: 55232
 Avg. weight/team: 0.012
 + ---- + ------------------ + --------- + ------ + ------- + ------ + ------- + 
 | Rank | Pokemon            | Usage %   | Raw    | %       | Real   | %       | 
 | 1    | Skarmory           | 74.70388% | 5038   | 57.166% | 4334   | 63.209% | 
 | 2    | Zapdos             | 70.75921% | 3822   | 43.368% | 3014   | 43.957% | 
 | 3    | Togekiss           | 60.44511% | 4105   | 46.579% | 3189   | 46.509% | 
 | 4    | Charizard          | 53.25008% | 4022   | 45.637% | 3151   | 45.955% | 
 | 5    | Landorus-Therian   | 50.02052% | 2845   | 32.282% | 2382   | 34.740% | 
 | 6    | Thundurus-Therian  | 36.10044% | 2283   | 25.905% | 1753   | 25.566% | 
 | 7    | Dragonite          | 33.28056% | 2825   | 32.055% | 2035   | 29.679% | 
 | 8    | Landorus           | 30.22261% | 1771   | 20.095% | 1359   | 19.820% | 
 | 9    | Gyarados           | 28.99107% | 2384   | 27.051% | 1861   | 27.141% | 
 | 10   | Salamence          | 22.86795% | 1950   | 22.126% | 1431   | 20.870% | 
 | 11   | Thundurus          | 20.93672% | 1400   | 15.886% | 1070   | 15.605% | 
 | 12   | Gliscor            | 16.92428% | 2783   | 31.578% | 2165   | 31.575% | 
 | 13   | Staraptor          | 15.90049% | 1895   | 21.502% | 1413   | 20.608% | 
 | 14   | Hawlucha           | 11.25289% | 1412   | 16.022% | 1066   | 15.547% | 
 | 15   | Mandibuzz          |  9.81325% | 1215   | 13.786% | 895    | 13.053% | 
 | 16   | Altaria            |  7.98280% | 738    |  8.374% | 595    |  8.678% | 
 | 17   | Honchkrow          |  6.59982% | 1005   | 11.404% | 752    | 10.967% | 
 | 18   | Crobat             |  6.32348% | 1322   | 15.001% | 995    | 14.511% | 
 | 19   | Pidgeot            |  6.12500% | 1172   | 13.299% | 912    | 13.301% | 
 | 20   | Articuno           |  5.92632% | 686    |  7.784% | 498    |  7.263% | 
 | 21   | Aerodactyl         |  5.66956% | 1167   | 13.242% | 873    | 12.732% | 
 | 22   | Tornadus-Therian   |  5.64046% | 511    |  5.798% | 390    |  5.688% | 
 | 23   | Noivern            |  4.59801% | 765    |  8.680% | 613    |  8.940% | 
 | 24   | Yanmega            |  2.81517% | 565    |  6.411% | 382    |  5.571% | 
 | 25   | Sigilyph           |  2.59324% | 547    |  6.207% | 374    |  5.455% | 
 | 26   | Xatu               |  1.58466% | 300    |  3.404% | 248    |  3.617% | 
 | 27   | Chatot             |  1.38682% | 265    |  3.007% | 229    |  3.340% | 
 | 28   | Swellow            |  1.35818% | 592    |  6.717% | 429    |  6.257% | 
 | 29   | Vivillon           |  0.73042% | 210    |  2.383% | 157    |  2.290% | 
 | 30   | Moltres            |  0.67590% | 163    |  1.850% | 109    |  1.590% | 
 | 31   | Archeops           |  0.57640% | 226    |  2.564% | 196    |  2.859% | 
 | 32   | Togetic            |  0.46842% | 219    |  2.485% | 128    |  1.867% | 
 | 33   | Swoobat            |  0.38139% | 137    |  1.555% | 103    |  1.502% | 
 | 34   | Ninjask            |  0.30786% | 258    |  2.927% | 220    |  3.209% | 
 | 35   | Scyther            |  0.29710% | 105    |  1.191% | 79     |  1.152% | 
 | 36   | Mantine            |  0.25824% | 195    |  2.213% | 156    |  2.275% | 
 | 37   | Tropius            |  0.25258% | 141    |  1.600% | 99     |  1.444% | 
 | 38   | Fletchinder        |  0.21904% | 212    |  2.406% | 180    |  2.625% | 
 | 39   | Drifblim           |  0.20849% | 111    |  1.260% | 95     |  1.386% | 
 | 40   | Farfetch'd         |  0.19721% | 43     |  0.488% | 34     |  0.496% | 
 | 41   | Golbat             |  0.16266% | 40     |  0.454% | 29     |  0.423% | 
 | 42   | Braviary           |  0.13379% | 169    |  1.918% | 136    |  1.983% | 
 | 43   | Unfezant           |  0.13223% | 243    |  2.757% | 199    |  2.902% | 
 | 44   | Emolga             |  0.09296% | 126    |  1.430% | 113    |  1.648% | 
 | 45   | Tornadus           |  0.09095% | 43     |  0.488% | 30     |  0.438% | 
 | 46   | Gligar             |  0.08127% | 22     |  0.250% | 18     |  0.263% | 
 | 47   | Fearow             |  0.07139% | 44     |  0.499% | 39     |  0.569% | 
 | 48   | Rotom-Fan          |  0.06941% | 121    |  1.373% | 102    |  1.488% | 
 | 49   | Noctowl            |  0.06782% | 233    |  2.644% | 216    |  3.150% | 
 | 50   | Swanna             |  0.05682% | 63     |  0.715% | 50     |  0.729% | 
 | 51   | Vespiquen          |  0.05641% | 22     |  0.250% | 14     |  0.204% | 
 | 52   | Pelipper           |  0.05489% | 67     |  0.760% | 52     |  0.758% | 
 | 53   | Starly             |  0.05100% | 9      |  0.102% | 6      |  0.088% | 
 | 54   | Delibird           |  0.04753% | 55     |  0.624% | 43     |  0.627% | 
 | 55   | Jumpluff           |  0.04509% | 35     |  0.397% | 24     |  0.350% | 
 | 56   | Mantyke            |  0.03523% | 8      |  0.091% | 6      |  0.088% | 
 | 57   | Dodrio             |  0.03065% | 30     |  0.340% | 26     |  0.379% | 
 | 58   | Murkrow            |  0.02832% | 30     |  0.340% | 24     |  0.350% | 
 | 59   | Mothim             |  0.01896% | 8      |  0.091% | 3      |  0.044% | 
 | 60   | Ledian             |  0.00752% | 12     |  0.136% | 10     |  0.146% | 
 | 61   | Masquerain         |  0.00595% | 11     |  0.125% | 7      |  0.102% | 
 | 62   | Butterfree         |  0.00524% | 22     |  0.250% | 16     |  0.233% | 
 | 63   | Natu               |  0.00203% | 4      |  0.045% | 3      |  0.044% | 
 | 64   | Pidgey             |  0.00000% | 2      |  0.023% | 2      |  0.029% | 
 | 65   | Taillow            |  0.00000% | 2      |  0.023% | 1      |  0.015% | 
 | 66   | Pidgeotto          |  0.00000% | 1      |  0.011% | 1      |  0.015% | 
 | 67   | Hoothoot           |  0.00000% | 1      |  0.011% | 1      |  0.015% | 
 | 68   | Skiploom           |  0.00000% | 2      |  0.023% | 2      |  0.029% | 
 | 69   | Beautifly          |  0.00000% | 2      |  0.023% | 1      |  0.015% | 
 | 70   | Spearow            |  0.00000% | 1      |  0.011% | 1      |  0.015% | 
 | 71   | Pidove             |  0.00000% | 1      |  0.011% | 1      |  0.015% | 
Metagame Analysis for Mono-Flying:
Code:
 monotype......................100.00000%
 monoflying....................100.00000%
 weatherless...................79.38722%
 balance.......................45.68187%
 offense.......................30.39421%
 sun...........................20.44449%
 semistall.....................14.62442%
 voltturn...................... 5.49571%
 stall......................... 4.95969%
 hyperoffense.................. 4.33982%
 sunoffense.................... 0.69693%
 rain.......................... 0.16829%
 mononormal.................... 0.14052%
 sunstall...................... 0.10384%
 rainoffense................... 0.04969%
 choice........................ 0.04636%
 monodragon.................... 0.00054%
 hail.......................... 0.00000%
 multiweather.................. 0.00000%
 dragmag....................... 0.00000%
 monopsychic................... 0.00000%
 monofire...................... 0.00000%

Stalliness (mean:  0.352)
 -1.5|####
     |#####
 -1.0|##
     |##########
 -0.5|########
     |##############################
  0.0|#########################
     |########################
 +0.5|#############################
     |####################
 +1.0|#################
     |####################
 +1.5|####
     |##
 +2.0|########
     |
 more negative = more offensive, more positive = more stall
 one # =  0.48%
In case you're wondering, you can get DragMag on a Mono-Flying team by running moves like Mean Look or Block. DragMag just means 1 trapper + 2 dragons.

scpinion has been on me for a while now to give him access to the raw usage data so he can do some in-depth analysis. Part of that is looking at Pokemon usage for specific monotypes. I felt inspired, so I went ahead and coded it up (scpinion, no worries, I'm still planning on giving you access to the raw data). I've got a little more to do, but just as a teaser...

Pokemon usage for Mono-flying:
Code:
Total battles: 55232
Avg. weight/team: 0.012
| Rank | Pokemon            | Usage %   | Raw    | %       | Real   | %       |
| 1    | Skarmory           | 74.70388% | 5038   | 57.166% | 4334   | 63.209% |
| 2    | Zapdos             | 70.75921% | 3822   | 43.368% | 3014   | 43.957% |
| 3    | Togekiss           | 60.44511% | 4105   | 46.579% | 3189   | 46.509% |
| 4    | Charizard          | 53.25008% | 4022   | 45.637% | 3151   | 45.955% |
| 5    | Landorus-Therian   | 50.02052% | 2845   | 32.282% | 2382   | 34.740% |
| 6    | Thundurus-Therian  | 36.10044% | 2283   | 25.905% | 1753   | 25.566% |
| 7    | Dragonite          | 33.28056% | 2825   | 32.055% | 2035   | 29.679% |
| 8    | Landorus           | 30.22261% | 1771   | 20.095% | 1359   | 19.820% |
| 9    | Gyarados           | 28.99107% | 2384   | 27.051% | 1861   | 27.141% |
| 10   | Salamence          | 22.86795% | 1950   | 22.126% | 1431   | 20.870% |
| 11   | Thundurus          | 20.93672% | 1400   | 15.886% | 1070   | 15.605% |
| 12   | Gliscor            | 16.92428% | 2783   | 31.578% | 2165   | 31.575% |
| 13   | Staraptor          | 15.90049% | 1895   | 21.502% | 1413   | 20.608% |
| 14   | Hawlucha           | 11.25289% | 1412   | 16.022% | 1066   | 15.547% |
| 15   | Mandibuzz          |  9.81325% | 1215   | 13.786% | 895    | 13.053% |
| 16   | Altaria            |  7.98280% | 738    |  8.374% | 595    |  8.678% |
| 17   | Honchkrow          |  6.59982% | 1005   | 11.404% | 752    | 10.967% |
| 18   | Crobat             |  6.32348% | 1322   | 15.001% | 995    | 14.511% |
| 19   | Pidgeot            |  6.12500% | 1172   | 13.299% | 912    | 13.301% |
| 20   | Articuno           |  5.92632% | 686    |  7.784% | 498    |  7.263% |
| 21   | Aerodactyl         |  5.66956% | 1167   | 13.242% | 873    | 12.732% |
| 22   | Tornadus-Therian   |  5.64046% | 511    |  5.798% | 390    |  5.688% |
| 23   | Noivern            |  4.59801% | 765    |  8.680% | 613    |  8.940% |
| 24   | Yanmega            |  2.81517% | 565    |  6.411% | 382    |  5.571% |
| 25   | Sigilyph           |  2.59324% | 547    |  6.207% | 374    |  5.455% |
| 26   | Xatu               |  1.58466% | 300    |  3.404% | 248    |  3.617% |
| 27   | Chatot             |  1.38682% | 265    |  3.007% | 229    |  3.340% |
| 28   | Swellow            |  1.35818% | 592    |  6.717% | 429    |  6.257% |
| 29   | Vivillon           |  0.73042% | 210    |  2.383% | 157    |  2.290% |
| 30   | Moltres            |  0.67590% | 163    |  1.850% | 109    |  1.590% |
| 31   | Archeops           |  0.57640% | 226    |  2.564% | 196    |  2.859% |
| 32   | Togetic            |  0.46842% | 219    |  2.485% | 128    |  1.867% |
| 33   | Swoobat            |  0.38139% | 137    |  1.555% | 103    |  1.502% |
| 34   | Ninjask            |  0.30786% | 258    |  2.927% | 220    |  3.209% |
| 35   | Scyther            |  0.29710% | 105    |  1.191% | 79     |  1.152% |
| 36   | Mantine            |  0.25824% | 195    |  2.213% | 156    |  2.275% |
| 37   | Tropius            |  0.25258% | 141    |  1.600% | 99     |  1.444% |
| 38   | Fletchinder        |  0.21904% | 212    |  2.406% | 180    |  2.625% |
| 39   | Drifblim           |  0.20849% | 111    |  1.260% | 95     |  1.386% |
| 40   | Farfetch'd         |  0.19721% | 43     |  0.488% | 34     |  0.496% |
| 41   | Golbat             |  0.16266% | 40     |  0.454% | 29     |  0.423% |
| 42   | Braviary           |  0.13379% | 169    |  1.918% | 136    |  1.983% |
| 43   | Unfezant           |  0.13223% | 243    |  2.757% | 199    |  2.902% |
| 44   | Emolga             |  0.09296% | 126    |  1.430% | 113    |  1.648% |
| 45   | Tornadus           |  0.09095% | 43     |  0.488% | 30     |  0.438% |
| 46   | Gligar             |  0.08127% | 22     |  0.250% | 18     |  0.263% |
| 47   | Fearow             |  0.07139% | 44     |  0.499% | 39     |  0.569% |
| 48   | Rotom-Fan          |  0.06941% | 121    |  1.373% | 102    |  1.488% |
| 49   | Noctowl            |  0.06782% | 233    |  2.644% | 216    |  3.150% |
| 50   | Swanna             |  0.05682% | 63     |  0.715% | 50     |  0.729% |
| 51   | Vespiquen          |  0.05641% | 22     |  0.250% | 14     |  0.204% |
| 52   | Pelipper           |  0.05489% | 67     |  0.760% | 52     |  0.758% |
| 53   | Starly             |  0.05100% | 9      |  0.102% | 6      |  0.088% |
| 54   | Delibird           |  0.04753% | 55     |  0.624% | 43     |  0.627% |
| 55   | Jumpluff           |  0.04509% | 35     |  0.397% | 24     |  0.350% |
| 56   | Mantyke            |  0.03523% | 8      |  0.091% | 6      |  0.088% |
| 57   | Dodrio             |  0.03065% | 30     |  0.340% | 26     |  0.379% |
| 58   | Murkrow            |  0.02832% | 30     |  0.340% | 24     |  0.350% |
| 59   | Mothim             |  0.01896% | 8      |  0.091% | 3      |  0.044% |
| 60   | Ledian             |  0.00752% | 12     |  0.136% | 10     |  0.146% |
| 61   | Masquerain         |  0.00595% | 11     |  0.125% | 7      |  0.102% |
| 62   | Butterfree         |  0.00524% | 22     |  0.250% | 16     |  0.233% |
| 63   | Natu               |  0.00203% | 4      |  0.045% | 3      |  0.044% |
| 64   | Pidgey             |  0.00000% | 2      |  0.023% | 2      |  0.029% |
| 65   | Taillow            |  0.00000% | 2      |  0.023% | 1      |  0.015% |
| 66   | Pidgeotto          |  0.00000% | 1      |  0.011% | 1      |  0.015% |
| 67   | Hoothoot           |  0.00000% | 1      |  0.011% | 1      |  0.015% |
| 68   | Skiploom           |  0.00000% | 2      |  0.023% | 2      |  0.029% |
| 69   | Beautifly          |  0.00000% | 2      |  0.023% | 1      |  0.015% |
| 70   | Spearow            |  0.00000% | 1      |  0.011% | 1      |  0.015% |
| 71   | Pidove             |  0.00000% | 1      |  0.011% | 1      |  0.015% |
Metagame Analysis for Mono-Flying:
Code:
monotype......................100.00000%
monoflying....................100.00000%
weatherless...................79.38722%
balance.......................45.68187%
offense.......................30.39421%
sun...........................20.44449%
semistall.....................14.62442%
voltturn...................... 5.49571%
stall......................... 4.95969%
hyperoffense.................. 4.33982%
sunoffense.................... 0.69693%
rain.......................... 0.16829%
mononormal.................... 0.14052%
sunstall...................... 0.10384%
rainoffense................... 0.04969%
choice........................ 0.04636%
monodragon.................... 0.00054%
hail.......................... 0.00000%
multiweather.................. 0.00000%
dragmag....................... 0.00000%
monopsychic................... 0.00000%
monofire...................... 0.00000%

Stalliness (mean:  0.352)
-1.5|####
     |#####
-1.0|##
     |##########
-0.5|########
     |##############################
  0.0|#########################
     |########################
+0.5|#############################
     |####################
+1.0|#################
     |####################
+1.5|####
     |##
+2.0|########
     |
more negative = more offensive, more positive = more stall
one # =  0.48%
In case you're wondering, you can get DragMag on a Mono-Flying team by running moves like Mean Look or Block. DragMag just means 1 trapper + 2 dragons.
haha.. I love how my Flying team's the top 6 Pokemon... #Generic

Mence will def drop back down since there's no point using it anymore w/o its Mega Stone.

Tbh, I'm pretty surprised that the therians are more popular than the incarnates. (I remenber the good ole days when people laughed at me for using Lando-T and Thundy-T) I can see why people would use Thundy-T (Volt Absorb, and a great scarf user), but I guess people like the bulk Lando-T gives.

I'm very surprised that VoltSwitch's so low. Chances are, if you're running both Lando-T + Thundy-T, you're running U-turn + Volt Switch respectively. Maybe because people mix and match? I've seen a couple of people running Nasty Plot Thundy-Ts, but idk

Not surprised that Skarm + Zapdos are #1 & 2. A little surprised that Togekiss is used more than Charizard + Lando-T. I can see Charizard + Lando-T competing w/ other megas & its other form respectively, but they're just "better" compared to Togekiss.

lol, I can see how Azumarill would be on 98% of Fairy teams

Ditto is used more than P2 in Normal monotypes. Either people are generally offensive, or they only use Staraptor as their wall. Lol to Staravia being #11. He will always be my true bird jesus :]

Mamo is used more than Kyurem-W on Ice. Probs because people don't know that it's unbanned. It faces competition w/ Kyurem-B, but W generally outclasses it. Piloswine sits at #13 with a 15% usage. That means that ~15% of Ice users use choiced Mamoswine.

Ferrothorn + Breloom are used more than Venusaur which surprises me. Skymin outclasses Mega Sceptile, and it doesn't have to take up your mega slot. Mega Venu is just plain awesome w/ Thick Fat as well. Ludicolo is seen on 45% of Grass teams so ~45% of people use Ludi as their Fire check. (Maybe a weather team? That'd be interesting to see)

A little surprised that Torkoal is only seen on 38% of Fire teams. Infernape is 60% so I'd assume that the people who don't use Torkoal either have Defog Zard or Taunt Infernape.

Nice stuff Antar, can't wait to see more ^^

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Here's a download link for all eighteen. A question I anticipate getting is how it's possible to have, say a Mono-bug team that's ALSO Mono-steel. The answer is to have less than six Pokemon on the team.
Scizor, Wormadam-Trash, Escavalier, Durant, Forretress, and Genesect's unbanned on bug teams.

And yeah thanks for the stats, they're great :D

Edit: Genesect's unbanned on bug but banned on steel, how does the server's code deal with both bug and steel? I guess it takes it as bug if it checks type in alphabetical order of types? Something to look into I guess.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
LOL at those Ground usage stats, I can't say I'm surprised though, outside out those top 7, you really don't have much scope to change. I found the Water stats to be very interesting as it really reflects the options you have to work with, and in fairness, while Flying was easy to see as most used, Water is generally where you see the greater variety in builds, as exemplified by the greater spread of higher percentages rather than having higher defined staples. Was surprised to see Greninja out on top mind, I thought it might have been Keldeo but I suppose both are easy to throw on a team, Greninja especially so because of how you can tailor it to remove the threats you need.

Thank you Antar for doing this, it's nice to see concrete stats and to be able to discuss them with our own experiences in the metagame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)