Ladder Monotype [Read post #393 for Tiering Updates]

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Gnief friar, All your suggestion, I have tried. Sometimes it work, sometimes it not and not gonna make ferrothorn just for counter togekiss either and also do you think I would have chance to even do all that if I got 6 flinch in a row? I just battled this scenario again.... yesterday and all flinch in a row stop me from did anything possible good that I have cradily plus amnesia to hold out but it cost nearly 2 of my team just to kill one. So I know how to counter it but it bulkiness compensate for its medicore speed is sure dangerous as for skymin who has its speed to compensate for its fragility. I still think that paraflinchkiss is not fun at all and turn game into hax abused as you said with skymin so please take a look at it if you dont mind.

PS. By the way, serperior is not the answer to compensate us with the lost while others still untouched atm. Serp is good against fellow grass to some degrees and type that neutral but it wont help against fire, ice nor bug, they will not give it a chance to spam leaf storm anyway.
If you aren't going to find a way to effectively counter the threats to your team (insert Rotom-Mow here as saviour) then you will continue to get beat by them--asking to ban them is not the answer. My Normal team used to struggle with Victini, so I added StallTank, who tanks V-Create all day long. Monotype is partially about working around your threats, and finding creative ways to win. Serperior actually does help vs. Ice if you bring it in to Leaf Storm against something like Walrein for example, then HP Fire sweep. It also gets a free Scarf vs. Bug teams that set Webs, letting it outspeed pretty much everything and it can sweep with HP Fire once your teammates have banged up the other team a bit and you got a Leaf Storm boost revenge killing a weakened Pokemon. I will admit it is pretty much deadweight vs. Fire tho ;-; BUT, Ludicolo+Cradily+Mega Venusaur exist, with the first two being neutral and hitting back with STABs, and Mega Venusaur having Thick Fat and being an excellent tank.
On a side note, you can Reply to someone's post directly by clicking the Reply button at the bottom right hand corner of the post, or tag them by doing @ username without the space. Also, it would help if you made your posts a bit more clear, I could hardly understand most of that post the first time I read it.
Also guys, thoughts on Johto starters HAs? Sheer Force Gatr looks pretty good to me, with D-Dance/Waterfall/Crunch/Ice Punch or Aqua Jet and LO, while Flash Fire seems a bit redundant on Typhlosion in mono (who uses Fire moves vs. Fire, especially when Heatran and Chandelure already have Flash Fire ?_?). I think Leaf Guard Meganium will have a niche on Sun teams as a great status absorber that can set screens.

If you aren't going to find a way to effectively counter the threats to your team (insert Rotom-Mow here as saviour) then you will continue to get beat by them--asking to ban them is not the answer. My Normal team used to struggle with Victini, so I added StallTank, who tanks V-Create all day long. Monotype is partially about working around your threats, and finding creative ways to win. Serperior actually does help vs. Ice if you bring it in to Leaf Storm against something like Walrein for example, then HP Fire sweep. It also gets a free Scarf vs. Bug teams that set Webs, letting it outspeed pretty much everything and it can sweep with HP Fire once your teammates have banged up the other team a bit and you got a Leaf Storm boost revenge killing a weakened Pokemon. I will admit it is pretty much deadweight vs. Fire tho ;-; BUT, Ludicolo+Cradily+Mega Venusaur exist, with the first two being neutral and hitting back with STABs, and Mega Venusaur having Thick Fat and being an excellent tank.
On a side note, you can Reply to someone's post directly by clicking the Reply button at the bottom right hand corner of the post, or tag them by doing @ username without the space. Also, it would help if you made your posts a bit more clear, I could hardly understand most of that post the first time I read it.
Also guys, thoughts on Johto starters HAs? Sheer Force Gatr looks pretty good to me, with D-Dance/Waterfall/Crunch/Ice Punch or Aqua Jet and LO, while Flash Fire seems a bit redundant on Typhlosion in mono (who uses Fire moves vs. Fire, especially when Heatran and Chandelure already have Flash Fire ?_?). I think Leaf Guard Meganium will have a niche on Sun teams as a great status absorber that can set screens.
You sir, all your suggestion is a mandatory things that I have all tried, please, I think I one of a few who seriously use grass left, it not helping much and it will still struggle, just do something with bug, and also all the tank you mention, I have tried it all. You must understand that we can't build the team to counter just bug becuz that would be a worst team against other types, I have to balance team structure so it can be use against other also so it not going to help me much with that suggestion which I already used. I would not bother to type in this forum if the situation isn't this dire.

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
You sir, all your suggestion is a mandatory things that I have all tried, please, I think I one of a few who seriously use grass left, it not helping much and it will still struggle, just do something with bug, and also all the tank you mention, I have tried it all. You must understand that we can't build the team to counter just bug becuz that would be a worst team against other types, I have to balance team structure so it can be use against other also so it not going to help me much with that suggestion which I already used. I would not bother to type in this forum if the situation isn't this dire.
You are essentially arguing that your favorite type sucks so the entire community should feel bad for you and do everything we can to make your life easier. I don't want to be this blunt, but you just don't seem to get it. Type viability is not something we are concerned with anymore unless a type can literally never win, which is not the case for Grass. Our current concerns are Greninja, Mega Metagross, and to a lesser extent Mega Sableye. I don't want to discourage discussion outside of the current topics, but you need to realize that we're not all going to jump to attention because you want Grass to be one of the top 5 types.

If you really want to help grass, my suggestion to you would be to advocate for the bans of Greninja and Mega Metagross. Greninja's Ice Beam and Gunk shot rip right through grass teams and Mega Metagross can OHKO Mega Venusaur with Zen Headbutt. Having those two out of the way wouldn't make grass good again, but it would definitely help the type somewhat.

You are essentially arguing that your favorite type sucks so the entire community should feel bad for you and do everything we can to make your life easier. I don't want to be this blunt, but you just don't seem to get it. Type viability is not something we are concerned with anymore unless a type can literally never win, which is not the case for Grass. Our current concerns are Greninja, Mega Metagross, and to a lesser extent Mega Sableye. I don't want to discourage discussion outside of the current topics, but you need to realize that we're not all going to jump to attention because you want Grass to be one of the top 5 types.

If you really want to help grass, my suggestion to you would be to advocate for the bans of Greninja and Mega Metagross. Greninja's Ice Beam and Gunk shot rip right through grass teams and Mega Metagross can OHKO Mega Venusaur with Zen Headbutt. Having those two out of the way wouldn't make grass good again, but it would definitely help the type somewhat.
Erm, if i recall, my first post is to call for banning genesect back or at least mega pinsir. I f you forget just go back and read it and I don't need your petty community to feel sorry for my type, it useless, just do something with genesect or or maybe score bonus for weaker types, either is fine, instead of coming back and try to point out something I already knew. Btw I didn't mean to take care of it now, just want some guarantee that committee will look on to what I concern. You sir, can call my type suck that ok, it truly one of the weakest type, I can't defend on that. Good that your favorite type do not fall hard as this so it good for you. I don't want any further reply from anyone unless it about an assurance that the community will take a look on what I voiced my opinion.
PS. To all others, if you don't have any magnificent idea or something that out-of-box suggestion about grass strategy and how to use it, please don't suggest, it a waste of your typing time and my reading time

Erm, if i recall, my first post is to call for banning genesect back or at least mega pinsir....if you don't have any magnificent idea or something that out-of-box suggestion about grass strategy and how to use it, please don't suggest, it a waste of your typing time and my reading time
There doesn't need to be a direct reply from a moderator for you to know your concern has been read. Keep in mind that not all concerns will be dealt with in the way you wish, or at all. I am pretty sure genesect has been talked about a long while ago, and pinsir... I am certain he is in it for the long haul.

For suggestions, I have watched you play. You run 6 chlorophyll pokes and only one of them outspeeds pinsir or genesect outside of the sun (jumpluff). My suggestion would be to grab a scarfed rotom-c, which can force pinsir out or kill it with a volt switch. Hp fire from mega venusaur can take on a genesect as I am pretty sure it even takes less than 50% from boosted uturns.

As a final note, while I am unsure who the oldest grass user is in the room, I do know there are talented ones. The grass core challenge has been going on and I'm sure someone has gotten in the 1500s with it. The point is, I have seen a few users try to help you and it seemed to go in one ear and then out the other. This forum is full of great players and the advice, while not always, is usually at least decent. Anyways good luck fighting bug, I know it is an uphill battle.

Erm, if i recall, my first post is to call for banning genesect back or at least mega pinsir. I f you forget just go back and read it and I don't need your petty community to feel sorry for my type, it useless, just do something with genesect or or maybe score bonus for weaker types, either is fine, instead of coming back and try to point out something I already knew. Btw I didn't mean to take care of it now, just want some guarantee that committee will look on to what I concern. You sir, can call my type suck that ok, it truly one of the weakest type, I can't defend on that. Good that your favorite type do not fall hard as this so it good for you. I don't want any further reply from anyone unless it about an assurance that the community will take a look on what I voiced my opinion.
PS. To all others, if you don't have any magnificent idea or something that out-of-box suggestion about grass strategy and how to use it, please don't suggest, it a waste of your typing time and my reading time
To be honest, you haven't done much for yourself here. You have a right to voice an opinion here, that is true. However, if you're just going to shoot down everyone that replies to you with suggestions and then proceed to insult everyone then you're really not going to be welcomed here, and your opinion becomes even less likely to get consideration because of poor presentation. Don't expect people to do what you want after insulting them. I'm going to quote Acast here.
If you disagree with someone and want to present an argument as to why you disagree, that is acceptable and encouraged as long as you do it respectfully. I don't want to overstep my boundaries, but this needs to be said: If you're looking to simply insult someone because you think they're inferior to you, I suggest you go somewhere else. You're not welcome here.

Hiya, I forgot I was in the process of typing this up a few hours ago, but forgot to say what I needed to say.

Now, reading of what ArVaDa said, I don't understand why run six grass Pokemon with Chlorophyll. That really doesn't help you much at all because you'll have to rely a lot on sunlight for the ability to happen which wastes your turn to set it up.

Lets take a step back for a minute. First, we're focusing on Greninja and Mega Metagross so you'll have to wait which is what Acast is saying. Second, Grass-types can actually put a stop to Mega Pinsir hence Technician Breloom with Focus Sash + Spore and Rock Tomb which Mega Pinsir is 4x week to after mega evolving (OHKOing it). You can even Spore regular Pinsir and go for a Rock Tomb since it's a 2HKO. Anything on grass that has focus sash on it can be a check to Mega Pinsir such as Ferrothorn with T-Wave in paralyzing it. I've dealt with Mega Pinsir enough to know what Pokemon to use to check it. Scarf Rotom-Mow is neutral to Flying-type attacks so you would be 2HKOed. Also you wouldn't need to worry about Earthquake nor Close Combat when you can run a physical defensive set and burn it. Anttya already said that Genesect is being looked at soon.

I have to say, I'm not going to allow you to insult the community who's trying their very best to make this metagame fair and enjoyable to all of us, especially Acast who you direct it towards. Listen and try out suggestions we have given you cause Grass "can" actually stand up to Bug-types. We do listen to what everyone has to say but don't be mean about it. Rather it's best to respect others on here, lets not make a fuss about this situation and keep it civilized and mindful of others.

Have fun and good day to you!!!

Gnief friar, All your suggestion, I have tried. Sometimes it work, sometimes it not and not gonna make ferrothorn just for counter togekiss either and also do you think I would have chance to even do all that if I got 6 flinch in a row? I just battled this scenario again.... yesterday and all flinch in a row stop me from did anything possible good that I have cradily plus amnesia to hold out but it cost nearly 2 of my team just to kill one. So I know how to counter it but it bulkiness compensate for its medicore speed is sure dangerous as for skymin who has its speed to compensate for its fragility. I still think that paraflinchkiss is not fun at all and turn game into hax abused as you said with skymin so please take a look at it if you dont mind.

PS. By the way, serperior is not the answer to compensate us with the lost while others still untouched atm. Serp is good against fellow grass to some degrees and type that neutral but it wont help against fire, ice nor bug, they will not give it a chance to spam leaf storm anyway.
Of course you're not gonna make a Ferrothorn JUST to be a Togekiss check(key word: check). I feel that Ferrothorn is a very needed Pokemon on a Grass team. It can do so much for a Grass team. I don't feel the need to sing it's praises or anything, but I recommend using it not just for Togekiss, but for the entire team.

I said it once, and I'll say it once again. Skymin has the same(if not more) haxing powers as Togekiss. If you get 6 flinches against Togekiss, then people would get 6 flinches against Skymin. It's even worse because Skymin is a lot faster. Other than what I've told you about Ferrothorn, you can use Breloom to Spore the Togekiss, then kill it with Rock Tomb. If you know it's Scarfed, then use the Ferrothorn, if it's paraflinch, then use Breloom.

Of course I've had experiences with both Togekiss and Skymin. If I didn't, then it'd be tough for me to state a solid opinion without looking like a total fool. As for hax abusing games...Togekiss is a hax-reliant Pokemon as is Skymin, Jirachi, Focus Energy Kingdra etc. Does this instantly make it bannable? Hell no. A Pokemon need to make MULTIPLE match-ups incredibly one-sided for it to be ban-worthy. Skymin fits the bill here.

While Serperior definitely doesn't fill in for Skymin, I say live with it. Serperior is amazing against SOME match-ups, but useless in others. A lot of Pokemon are like that(for example, Scizor vs Ice and Scizor vs Steel). In fact, Serperior is MORE useful than Skymin when against Ice. Skymin's verdict has been decided, and I feel that the reasons are just.

As for this, we are trying to help you here. Take our suggestions into consideration. We can't NOT help someone who needs help. I'm not sure what you mean by magnificent idea or out-of-the-box suggestion, but we have given you tips on how to use Grass. If it doesn't work, too bad, we tried. Don't be rude, don't disregard us, insults will not get you anywhere with us.

I have heard something about Nani Man looking into Genesect, but that'll come later. Maybe.

Tbf, Grass does have an extremely hard time beating Mega Pinsir. Most of these scenarios listed will almost never happen since rocks will be up 90% of the time and Shiftry's not the most reliable Defogger out there. Ferrothorn spreads are purely Max HP / Def or Max HP / SpDef since there's no need to live 2 Ice Beams from Manaphy or whatever it says in the analysis. Also, any half decent Flying user isn't going to leave their Togekiss in a Ferrothorn when they have a CharX / Zap / Skarmory etc. As for Breloom being a Pinsir check, it's not going to happen either unless it's turn 1. Bug can easily set up hazards with Forretress / Armaldo since nothing can 1HKO it. (As for Breloom sporing it, most Bug users lead with Galvantua anyways.) The problem with Rotom-M is that it can't constantly switch into Quick Attacks, and even then, every time you switch it in is a 50/50. Will Pinsir Quick Attack or will they predict it and go for the Return? As for the Defensive set, it gets outsped and gets hit with a Return.

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-C: 169-201 (55.5 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (You're not switching in, and the bug user can easily switch out.)
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rotom-C: 93-109 (38.5 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Sorry if my thoughts are all jumbled up, I'm kinda tired rn. But please, be nicer in these threads. It'd be nicer for everyone c:

Tbf, Grass does have an extremely hard time beating Mega Pinsir. Most of these scenarios listed will almost never happen since rocks will be up 90% of the time and Shiftry's not the most reliable Defogger out there. Ferrothorn spreads are purely Max HP / Def or Max HP / SpDef since there's no need to live 2 Ice Beams from Manaphy or whatever it says in the analysis. Also, any half decent Flying user isn't going to leave their Togekiss in a Ferrothorn when they have a CharX / Zap / Skarmory etc. As for Breloom being a Pinsir check, it's not going to happen either unless it's turn 1. Bug can easily set up hazards with Forretress / Armaldo since nothing can 1HKO it. (As for Breloom sporing it, most Bug users lead with Galvantua anyways.) The problem with Rotom-M is that it can't constantly switch into Quick Attacks, and even then, every time you switch it in is a 50/50. Will Pinsir Quick Attack or will they predict it and go for the Return? As for the Defensive set, it gets outsped and gets hit with a Return.

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-C: 169-201 (55.5 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (You're not switching in, and the bug user can easily switch out.)
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rotom-C: 93-109 (38.5 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Sorry if my thoughts are all jumbled up, I'm kinda tired rn. But please, be nicer in these threads. It'd be nicer for everyone c:
Thank you anttya for your valuable information. I thank you that is what we have problem rn.
There doesn't need to be a direct reply from a moderator for you to know your concern has been read. Keep in mind that not all concerns will be dealt with in the way you wish, or at all. I am pretty sure genesect has been talked about a long while ago, and pinsir... I am certain he is in it for the long haul.

For suggestions, I have watched you play. You run 6 chlorophyll pokes and only one of them outspeeds pinsir or genesect outside of the sun (jumpluff). My suggestion would be to grab a scarfed rotom-c, which can force pinsir out or kill it with a volt switch. Hp fire from mega venusaur can take on a genesect as I am pretty sure it even takes less than 50% from boosted uturns.

As a final note, while I am unsure who the oldest grass user is in the room, I do know there are talented ones. The grass core challenge has been going on and I'm sure someone has gotten in the 1500s with it. The point is, I have seen a few users try to help you and it seemed to go in one ear and then out the other. This forum is full of great players and the advice, while not always, is usually at least decent. Anyways good luck fighting bug, I know it is an uphill battle.
Yes, I currently run sun team for the time being just becuz to look if it still viable or not. And thank you for your suggestion for team members which I might overlook. For the grass user part Koren, Anttya, me and Mast3r Mind are actively use grass if I recall and Mast3r mind used to reach to top 10 I believed, before unban genesect. So yes there are better grass user than me, I just like to make several grass teams and try them on to see its ability by laddering with it.
Hiya, I forgot I was in the process of typing this up a few hours ago, but forgot to say what I needed to say.

Now, reading of what ArVaDa said, I don't understand why run six grass Pokemon with Chlorophyll. That really doesn't help you much at all because you'll have to rely a lot on sunlight for the ability to happen which wastes your turn to set it up.

Lets take a step back for a minute. First, we're focusing on Greninja and Mega Metagross so you'll have to wait which is what Acast is saying. Second, Grass-types can actually put a stop to Mega Pinsir hence Technician Breloom with Focus Sash + Spore and Rock Tomb which Mega Pinsir is 4x week to after mega evolving (OHKOing it). You can even Spore regular Pinsir and go for a Rock Tomb since it's a 2HKO. Anything on grass that has focus sash on it can be a check to Mega Pinsir such as Ferrothorn with T-Wave in paralyzing it. I've dealt with Mega Pinsir enough to know what Pokemon to use to check it. Scarf Rotom-Mow is neutral to Flying-type attacks so you would be 2HKOed. Also you wouldn't need to worry about Earthquake nor Close Combat when you can run a physical defensive set and burn it. Anttya already said that Genesect is being looked at soon.

I have to say, I'm not going to allow you to insult the community who's trying their very best to make this metagame fair and enjoyable to all of us, especially Acast who you direct it towards. Listen and try out suggestions we have given you cause Grass "can" actually stand up to Bug-types. We do listen to what everyone has to say but don't be mean about it. Rather it's best to respect others on here, lets not make a fuss about this situation and keep it civilized and mindful of others.

Have fun and good day to you!!!
I run it because, I testing it at the moment. Next week or month, I might just use something else, standard grass team maybe. My goal is to try to make most of the grass if we build it correctly like bellossom which everyone think it suck for example, that why I abhor some standard pokemons atm i.e. mega venusaur. I do have standard team and still it had hard time like anttya said even more so than fighting fire.

And I would like to say sorry, to all people, I just very irritate and impatient on the subject and in the midst of anger, use inappropriate words and rude. I'm sorry, truly, and thank you for all the lovely replies will it be advice, suggestion and all, it will always have usefulness in it, that you all gave to me and no, I don't think I'm the best grass user in the room. The monotype community is where I have dwelled in for the past 3 three years, things change, people come and go, but it still friendly as always so it is nice to be know this place. see you all in the room

Sorry if this sounds silly, but has anyone tried a 18 Monotype Round Robin?

A full 18 player round robin tournament would probably be a bit awkward to complete, so to make it easier to organise I've come up with a method of splitting it up into 21 mini-tours which can be played separately and then totalled as each team still plays the other 17.
  • Normal
  • Fighting
  • Flying
  • Poison
  • Normal
  • Ground
  • Rock
  • Bug
  • Normal
  • Ghost
  • Electric
  • Psychic
  • Normal
  • Steel
  • Water
  • Ice
  • Dark
  • Normal
  • Fire
  • Grass
  • Dragon
  • Fairy
  • Fighting
  • Ground
  • Ghost
  • Steel
  • Fire
  • Fighting
  • Rock
  • Ice
  • Dragon
  • Fighting
  • Grass
  • Psychic
  • Dark
  • Fighting
  • Bug
  • Water
  • Electric
  • Fairy
  • Flying
  • Ground
  • Dark
  • Fairy
  • Poison
  • Ground
  • Grass
  • Electric
  • Ice
  • Ground
  • Water
  • Psychic
  • Dragon
  • Flying
  • Rock
  • Ghost
  • Water
  • Grass
  • Flying
  • Bug
  • Fire
  • Psychic
  • Ice
  • Flying
  • Steel
  • Electric
  • Dragon
  • Rock
  • Fire
  • Electric
  • Dark
  • Poison
  • Rock
  • Steel
  • Psychic
  • Fairy
  • Poison
  • Bug
  • Ghost
  • Dragon
  • Dark
  • Ghost
  • Ice
  • Fairy
  • Poison
  • Fire
  • Water
  • Bug
  • Steel
  • Grass
The rules normally applied to a tournament would of course be in force for the full duration of all 21 mini-tours.

Grass isn't one of those types that has counters to everything... it's just something you have to accept. Mega pinsir doesn't just auto-win against grass, it requires some actual playing. Since rocks are pretty easy to get up with grass, it's fairly likely that they will have to take 25% just to bring in pinsir. Now if they want to kill your ferrothorn, they're either going to have to set up a lot on it and get twaved/gyro balled or have like close combat because iirc jolly max atk pinsir frustration doesn't OHKO ferrothorn, unless you aren't running much defense. Either way they have to take a lot of damage from iron barbs + rocky helmet and will probably be at a point where they won't be able to bring mega pinsir back in or else it will die to SR. (Bug doesn't have the most prominent defog/spinners mind you because they often have to nearly sacrifice forretress to get up rocks) Then after letting ferrothorn die, as it isn't doing much in the match other than this vs. bug, you can bring in rotom-mow and go for volt switch and force them to either sack pinsir and go for quick attack or give you a ton of momentum and possibly losing pinsir when they bring it back in if they haven't defog'd yet.

I'll admit, it's a threat. You still do have ways to deal with it, and even if you didn't, monotype doesn't have counters for everything on every monotype. Wouldn't ice/steel like something to deal with scizor? Wouldn't psychic like something to deal with bisharp? Wouldn't ground like something to better deal with greninja? Wouldn't dark like to have something to deal with mega altaria? Yeah, but they aren't getting it anytime soon. There are some things you just have to deal with in mono.

Grass isn't one of those types that has counters to everything... it's just something you have to accept. Mega pinsir doesn't just auto-win against grass, it requires some actual playing. Since rocks are pretty easy to get up with grass, it's fairly likely that they will have to take 25% just to bring in pinsir. Now if they want to kill your ferrothorn, they're either going to have to set up a lot on it and get twaved/gyro balled or have like close combat because iirc jolly max atk pinsir frustration doesn't OHKO ferrothorn, unless you aren't running much defense. Either way they have to take a lot of damage from iron barbs + rocky helmet and will probably be at a point where they won't be able to bring mega pinsir back in or else it will die to SR. (Bug doesn't have the most prominent defog/spinners mind you because they often have to nearly sacrifice forretress to get up rocks) Then after letting ferrothorn die, as it isn't doing much in the match other than this vs. bug, you can bring in rotom-mow and go for volt switch and force them to either sack pinsir and go for quick attack or give you a ton of momentum and possibly losing pinsir when they bring it back in if they haven't defog'd yet.

I'll admit, it's a threat. You still do have ways to deal with it, and even if you didn't, monotype doesn't have counters for everything on every monotype. Wouldn't ice/steel like something to deal with scizor? Wouldn't psychic like something to deal with bisharp? Wouldn't ground like something to better deal with greninja? Wouldn't dark like to have something to deal with mega altaria? Yeah, but they aren't getting it anytime soon. There are some things you just have to deal with in mono.
I'm not saying anything should be banned / suspected just because Grass struggles with it. I'm trying to explain why some scenarios that were listed would never happen. :P

Art Vandelay

Banned deucer.
OK, had to refrain myself from commenting on the recent bans/suspects. But here it is:

- Bans: what bothers me is not the bans themselves, is how hypocritical the argument for them was. "We don't want to generate matchup dependance" "Kyu-W is autowin against Grass, etc, etc" <- Nothing wrong with those statements as standalone arguments BUT what follows is this "you gotta accept Steel auto wins Ice, is a fact" "Grass isn't supposed to beat everything" "Steel is gonna murder Fairy, deal with it". Sounds like the "matchup reliance" bs got forgotten in between sentences and only applies when types other than Water, Steel and Flying get an inch of slack against better types. "ZOMG my Flying team has a hard time with Kyu-W, how is this thing allowed?" This brings me to the next point.

- Suspects: Ok, some of those def need to leave (MGross for one) but if we are trying to nerf the best type why haven't we looked at the possibility of banning M-CharX on flying? Not even talking about a sweeper set, we all know that thing is ridiculous. Is more about the key resistances it brings to an already super versatile type that relies on a much more varied poke typing pool to deal with threats, hence its dominance. You got Togekiss, Zappy, Lando/Gliscor, Skarm all possess great utility but MCharX not only has lots of resistances, it removes the flying type further assisting on cover key resistances. That's HUGE. To put it into perspective is like Ice having a Mega with >600 BST with a Ghost/Water typing instead. For sure it will give tons of flexibility on team building. So I'd propose to ban it from Flying type. It won't be a crippling ban (like it will still be top 3) but it would favor other types on their respective matchups against it.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
- Suspects: Ok, some of those def need to leave (MGross for one) but if we are trying to nerf the best type why haven't we looked at the possibility of banning M-CharX on flying? Not even talking about a sweeper set, we all know that thing is ridiculous. Is more about the key resistances it brings to an already super versatile type that relies on a much more varied poke typing pool to deal with threats, hence its dominance. You got Togekiss, Zappy, Lando/Gliscor, Skarm all possess great utility but MCharX not only has lots of resistances, it removes the flying type further assisting on cover key resistances. That's HUGE. To put it into perspective is like Ice having a Mega with >600 BST with a Ghost/Water typing instead. For sure it will give tons of flexibility on team building. So I'd propose to ban it from Flying type. It won't be a crippling ban (like it will still be top 3) but it would favor other types on their respective matchups against it.
We have considered banning it from flying. The problem is, we don't know if it would even nerf flying particularly much against types like grass, while it would make matchup worse against things like electric and ice where the variety that flying offers means that for once, type advantage isn't that great a thing. There's plenty of arguments either way, and if you skip back ~10 pages maybe, you'll probably find them. But in a nutshell:
  • Replacements: What Zard X does isn't all that unique. Zard Y beats a whole load of the same threats despite being special, so the types that currently struggle with fire stabs... wouldn't get much help. M-Gyara, the next best mega replacement... Is a bulky DD mon that still wreaks havok on a whole load of things that dislike Zard X. The two are less amazing, perhaps, but building an OP flying team would still be very easy even with a zard X ban from an offensive point of view.
  • Flying weakness: Perhaps the biggest thing about Zard X is its neutrality to ice and resistance to electric. kgreat, so what? Say you replace it with M-Gyara. Ice neutrality right there, and who doesn't run lando anyway? The problem comes with boltbeam: there simply won't be any amazing switch-ins for many boltbeam users unless zapdos can wall them. Except... wait, zapdos walls pretty much all of them. 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zapdos: 144-172 (37.5 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery In fact, only glaciate physical victini gives flying real trouble, and even then it needs to predict correctly. Flying's perhaps a little weaker, but electric still struggles to get past zapdos (togekiss has heal bell support remember).
So sure, Zard X is an extremely nice pokemon. If we were going to ban a pokemon for being OP, it wouldn't be banned but it would be up there among those discussed. But if we want to ban something to help the meta, it needs to weaken flying a reasonable amount. The simple fact of the matter is that there's a number of decent options to cover weaknesses caused by banning zard, and it wouldn't actually weaken flying all that much. Looking at something like Zapdos seems far more likely to give results, despite it being far less powerful in and of itself.

I've just been reminded of the check that flying does in fact have to Greninja, which would be Articuno. Despite Articuno's Stealth Rock weakness it still beats greninja, as anything less than Rock Slide Greninja or at least Life Orb Greninja Gunk Shot with investment (neither of which are really used) doesn't ohko even after rocks. It isn't even bad, as proven by Arvada. It does great work in both the mirror and the water match (Freeze-Dry) and is a sturdy special wall for other matches, as well as carrying Heal Bell for its teammates.

16 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Articuno: 164-192 (42.8 - 50.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(16 is the minimum to even have a chance)

4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Articuno: 161-191 (42 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Articuno: 204-242 (53.2 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Articuno: 122-146 (31.8 - 38.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Articuno: 101-121 (26.3 - 31.5%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
(Not even a guarantee after rocks?)

4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Articuno: 406-484 (106 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4 Atk Protean Greninja Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Articuno: 312-372 (81.4 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Rock Slide is practically unused, as is physical Greninja. In preparing for mixed greninja we understand that its ordinarily specially based, which articuno checks just fine. Physically based Greninja generally aren't considered as threatening as specially based ones beyond their ability to surprise you. And this is all ignoring the fact that flying can viably use double-Defog and has Choice Scarf users that outspeed LO Greninja anyway. The Stealth Rock users of Water and Dark, Swampert and Tyranitar, lack reliable recovery so they get worn down. Choice Scarf Greninja is even less threatening to Articuno, meaning Articuno can make up for it in those matches. Scarf Greninja can't even clean up until Zapdos is weakened anyway (assuming no Togekiss), so flying isn't incapable of dealing with it. If you find Greninja that scary then you could use Articuno. If mixed Greninja start to use rock slide popularly then you've won the moral victory anyway by forcing them to give up coverage moveslots better spent elsewhere.

I've just been reminded of the check that flying does in fact have to Greninja, which would be Articuno. Despite Articuno's Stealth Rock weakness it still beats greninja, as anything less than Rock Slide Greninja or at least Life Orb Greninja Gunk Shot with investment (neither of which are really used) doesn't ohko even after rocks. It isn't even bad, as proven by Arvada. It does great work in both the mirror and the water match (Freeze-Dry) and is a sturdy special wall for other matches, as well as carrying Heal Bell for its teammates.

16 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Articuno: 164-192 (42.8 - 50.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(16 is the minimum to even have a chance)

4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Articuno: 161-191 (42 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Articuno: 204-242 (53.2 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Articuno: 122-146 (31.8 - 38.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Articuno: 101-121 (26.3 - 31.5%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
(Not even a guarantee after rocks?)

4 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Articuno: 406-484 (106 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4 Atk Protean Greninja Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Articuno: 312-372 (81.4 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Rock Slide is practically unused, as is physical Greninja. In preparing for mixed greninja we understand that its ordinarily specially based, which articuno checks just fine. Physically based Greninja generally aren't considered as threatening as specially based ones beyond their ability to surprise you. And this is all ignoring the fact that flying can viably use double-Defog and has Choice Scarf users that outspeed LO Greninja anyway. The Stealth Rock users of Water and Dark, Swampert and Tyranitar, lack reliable recovery so they get worn down. Choice Scarf Greninja is even less threatening to Articuno, meaning Articuno can make up for it in those matches. Scarf Greninja can't even clean up until Zapdos is weakened anyway (assuming no Togekiss), so flying isn't incapable of dealing with it. If you find Greninja that scary then you could use Articuno. If mixed Greninja start to use rock slide popularly then you've won the moral victory anyway by forcing them to give up coverage moveslots better spent elsewhere.
Um. Standard greninja is like 40 atk and 212+ sp atk with Hydro Pump/Dark Pulse, Ice beam, gunk shot, coverage for whatever mono you want to kill. That being said, articuno is a check. You can't switch into it on greninja if rocks are up against you, as ice beam + gunk shot will kill you after rocks (quite easily).

I know of rock slide being somewhat common on water users because they have some issues with flying monos that have articuno. They don't really need coverage for anything else on greninja because their team already beats ground, and they don't have issues with bulky steel types whatsoever.

I acknowledge that articuno is a good check, but it isn't a counter by any definition and doesn't solve all of the issues.

OK, had to refrain myself from commenting on the recent bans/suspects. But here it is:

- Bans: what bothers me is not the bans themselves, is how hypocritical the argument for them was. "We don't want to generate matchup dependance" "Kyu-W is autowin against Grass, etc, etc" <- Nothing wrong with those statements as standalone arguments BUT what follows is this "you gotta accept Steel auto wins Ice, is a fact" "Grass isn't supposed to beat everything" "Steel is gonna murder Fairy, deal with it". Sounds like the "matchup reliance" bs got forgotten in between sentences and only applies when types other than Water, Steel and Flying get an inch of slack against better types. "ZOMG my Flying team has a hard time with Kyu-W, how is this thing allowed?" This brings me to the next point.
Well you see it is hypocritical, and you are right in saying that. But what are you going to do about it?

No one has any clue. The reason kyu-w getting banned is a better idea than banning everything that beats a type is that kyu-w is already an uber. It has superior stats and can carry the team on its own. It also gets amazing coverage and is pretty bulky as well. We knew that for sure checking broken with broken isn't a good strategy and only causes further dismay in the metagame. You are failing to see the big picture here. Being hypocritical in one sense may prevent future issues in another. Steel is just a better type than ice purely because it has better offensive and defensive presence. It has a large pool of usable pokemon, unlike ice. Ice has very limited amounts of good pokemon, and they all share terrible weaknesses defensively. Almost none of them have amazing stats either, and the ones that do (kyu-w) are too threatening for the majority of the metagame. Ice is a terrible type and will continue to be because of the lack of a good pool of pokemon, movepool, and altogether terrible typing. (Ice's only resistance is Ice, while it is weak to the most common offensive types in the game)

So what do you propose is done about it? Should we ban everything that creates an issue for another type and end up eventually playing a tier that looks something like PU because all pokemon are so weak nothing gets accomplished because we decided to ban everything that was scary looking. Or should we start keeping all broken things and have a tier with mega-blaziken, mega-lucario, mega-kangaskhan, megagross, and other broken stuff, like kyu-w?

The obvious answer is no. We are trying to create a tier right now that is as close to perfect as possible. It never will be perfect. But in order to get close to this we need to make some hypocritical decisions. It's like being a judge for a court case. Maybe one criminal gets a fine and another gets the death penalty. It's hypocritical because everyone isn't being treated the same, but it is trying to account for each situation based on the extent of the issue. We can't make a game where everything is banned because then no one wins because some type will always have the advantage. We can't have a tier full of broken stuff or else it will start to look like some terrible ubers monotype/anything goes and everyone will just try to sweep with said broken pokemon. What is being done now is the most optimal solution if you ask me.

Articuno I said almost everything in response to this, which basically amounted to, "Flying has answers for everything char x does regardless, so a ban wouldn't accomplish much."
I agree with this a lot because I know that gyarados can put in just as much work as mega char x in flying teams because it has good defensive typing to pair with flying's selection of bulky mons. Hitting char x wouldn't even really do much to flying, and they'd be just as borked as ever.

Here's my proposal to try and nerf flying, and feel free to disagree.
What if instead of trying to hit a specific pokemon on the team like bans usually try to do, we do something different.
I think we can all agree that flying's core is borked and no pokemon particularly stands out as the reason for it. They basically have something to switch in to everything not named greninja. I'm aware that complex bans are a no-no, for what reason I'm not sure (laziness ?_?), but just listen for a sec.

What if we ban not a specific pokemon on flying, but make a complex ban that doesn't allow flying to use a mega stone.

Whaaaaat?!? I know right. It sounds stupid in theory, but think about it a little more closely. Mega pokemon provide the final pieces of armor and offense to flying. Without mega pokemon they still have a really good core, but it isn't broken by any means. They'd lose a lot of ways to take ice beams (char x, bulky dos), and they'd also lose a ton of offensive presense (altaria, char x, char y, gyarados). It wouldn't kill the type though, because they have a ton of options. It would directly nerf the core because they would lose the ability to go on the offensive. You can have a great core all you want, but if it causes you to play too slowly, you're done for. We've already been dealing with flying for a long time and have found ways to get around them, but the mega pokemon always push the type over the edge because they allow them to shift from eating up every move to incredible set-up sweeping offense at a glance. If we ban megastones we cause them to lose formidable offense while indirectly hitting their core. Please consider this thoroughly and bring up any reasons why or why not you like this idea.

Art Vandelay

Banned deucer.
You don't have to make a "complex" ban for that. You could just pitch it in a way that a poke has to retain its type even after Mega evolving. That wouldn't touch any other type iirc. So it would mean that CharY is still available for flying but not Mega Gyara/CharX/LOLtaria.

replying to the Zapdos argument; it would be a matter of cutting down redundancy. If Zappy is a solid answer to boltbeam coverage at least it can get overwhelmed as oppose of having CharX to back him up. So let's say my RotomF is against Skarm. Skarm switches into Zapdos while RotomF Voltswitches. Now Zapdos is 30ish% less hp and Weavile can either Knock Off predicting the Skarm or Pursuit Zapdos crippling him for the rest of the match. This scenario wouldn't happen if CharX was available as CharX is untouchable by say Lanturn, RotomF or any weak SpAtker and gives a nice pivot to flying due to its typing

DoW

formally Death on Wings
You don't have to make a "complex" ban for that. You could just pitch it in a way that a poke has to retain its type even after Mega evolving. That wouldn't touch any other type iirc. So it would mean that CharY is still available for flying but not Mega Gyara/CharX/LOLtaria.
It bans MegAggron from rock, and although they still have M-Diancie it's a big hit for bulkier rock teams. Moreover you're effectively banning three pokemon at once, two of which are barely even used rn, which simply seems to be banning a lot of mons for not much reason. And finally, it has been discussed whether zard x should be banned on flying due to not retaining flying typing, I made a fairly strong argument against this maybe 30 pages ago.
replying to the Zapdos argument; it would be a matter of cutting down redundancy. If Zappy is a solid answer to boltbeam coverage at least it can get overwhelmed as oppose of having CharX to back him up. So let's say my RotomF is against Skarm. Skarm switches into Zapdos while RotomF Voltswitches. Now Zapdos is 30ish% less hp and Weavile can either Knock Off predicting the Skarm or Pursuit Zapdos crippling him for the rest of the match. This scenario wouldn't happen if CharX was available as CharX is untouchable by say Lanturn, RotomF or any weak SpAtker and gives a nice pivot to flying due to its typing
Yeah but it's easier to just ban zapdos. I don't see why you're so keen on banning Zard X when it'd be simpler and more effective to ban Zapdos.

Um. Standard greninja is like 40 atk and 212+ sp atk with Hydro Pump/Dark Pulse, Ice beam, gunk shot, coverage for whatever mono you want to kill. That being said, articuno is a check. You can't switch into it on greninja if rocks are up against you, as ice beam + gunk shot will kill you after rocks (quite easily).

I know of rock slide being somewhat common on water users because they have some issues with flying monos that have articuno. They don't really need coverage for anything else on greninja because their team already beats ground, and they don't have issues with bulky steel types whatsoever.

I acknowledge that articuno is a good check, but it isn't a counter by any definition and doesn't solve all of the issues.
First of all, that is in fact not the standard set. I referenced the stats page when typing my points out. The set you listed, Naive 40/216/252, is among the very rare spreads, 2.3% of Greninja on Water. The Hasty version of that is 0.7% of Greninja on Water, adding to a total of 3% of Greninja on Water. The standard spreads would be the most common spreads, in this case Hasty and Naive 4/252/252, which together make up 43.1% of Greninja on Water.

Second, I didn't call it a counter even once, although it is capable of doing so to the standard LO Greninja when rocks are not up. And as for rock slide, that would be 12.9% of Greninja on Water. Consider that the top eight moves for Greninja on Water are, in descending order, Ice Beam, Gunk Shot, Dark Pulse, Extrasensory, Shadow Sneak, Hidden Power Fire, Grass Knot, and Hydro Pump. That tells me that Rock Slide Greninja really isn't what most Water players choose to run, instead preferring to cover a wide range of types other than Flying, which Ice Beam already covers with a few exceptions.

Also:
40 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Articuno: 165-196 (43 - 51.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

40 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Articuno: 165-196 (43 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

212 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Articuno: 121-142 (31.5 - 37%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

212 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Articuno: 99-117 (25.8 - 30.5%) -- 47.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Note: Rock Slide is the 13th most popular move for Greninja on Water.

Reactions: DoW
First of all, that is in fact not the standard set. I referenced the stats page when typing my points out. The set you listed, Naive 40/216/252, is among the very rare spreads, 2.3% of Greninja on Water. The Hasty version of that is 0.7% of Greninja on Water, adding to a total of 3% of Greninja on Water. The standard spreads would be the most common spreads, in this case Hasty and Naive 4/252/252, which together make up 43.1% of Greninja on Water.

Second, I didn't call it a counter even once, although it is capable of doing so to the standard LO Greninja when rocks are not up. And as for rock slide, that would be 12.9% of Greninja on Water. Consider that the top eight moves for Greninja on Water are, in descending order, Ice Beam, Gunk Shot, Dark Pulse, Extrasensory, Shadow Sneak, Hidden Power Fire, Grass Knot, and Hydro Pump. That tells me that Rock Slide Greninja really isn't what most Water players choose to run, instead preferring to cover a wide range of types other than Flying, which Ice Beam already covers with a few exceptions.

Also:
40 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Articuno: 165-196 (43 - 51.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

40 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Articuno: 165-196 (43 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

212 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Articuno: 121-142 (31.5 - 37%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

212 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Articuno: 99-117 (25.8 - 30.5%) -- 47.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Note: Rock Slide is the 13th most popular move for Greninja on Water.
Ok so, I never said that you said articuno was a counter. I just wanted to acknowledge that it isn't the be-all end-all to greninja.
I don't really understand why people don't run rock slide more considering how much work it does against flying but w/e. Same with the EVs. I'd personally run 40 attack, but that's just me.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To clarify the Greninja EVs...

Just because it isn't the most common on the stats page doesn't mean you won't run into against the top players.

The 40 atk evs are so you get the OHKO on Azu before it can bop you w/ anything other than aqua jet.
40 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 406-478 (101.2 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

212 SpA is still plenty to 2HKO Zapdos:
212 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zapdos: 242-289 (63 - 75.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

If you're looking to troll a Flying then you run 92 Atk evs to guarantee the OHKO on max HP Togekiss, although 40 gives you a good shot (~70%), and you run rock slide to beat the Articuno. This still lets you 2HKO Zapdos and put a serious dent in bulky ZardX.
92 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 374-439 (100.2 - 117.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
164 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 148+ SpD Mega Charizard X: 134-160 (37.3 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
164 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zapdos: 234-276 (60.9 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Mega Metagross will be discussed along with Greninja. I want community input before making a decision about this which is why it wasn't banned along with the others. As I said before, everyone's opinion is valued and now is the time to share them. Please do not make empty posts and give reasoning to your stance. I will make a post about my thoughts on them soon.
Replying to this as a reminder that mega-metagross is on the discussion list but has been overshadowed it seems by greninja.

A few layman opening comments would be that its BST is exceptional (700), has a blistering speed of 110, dank movepool, great defenses, and notable physical prowess in tandem with tough claws (I rarely see mixed / special variants).

Metagross-Mega
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 spDef / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Grass Knot
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

Myself and a few others have used this set. I like grabbing the stabs, especially Zen headbutt to soften the fight against fighting. Grass knot makes the fight against ground and water (among others) a lot easier, with ice punch hitting the rest of ground for hefty damage. I like priority over mash just to have a solid hit against something fast that could potentially sweep otherwise.

Some other notable moves include: Earthquake, rockslide, meteor mash, and thunder punch (just sticking to the physical side).

Anyhoo, just mentioning this as a reminder so that if there are anti-ban metagross users out there, it would be a shame to not hear points for keeping this and just see it enter the shadow realm.

Edit: all falls down did a good job earlier going in to detail on page 65 for the reasons it should be banned. Kyosuru Jets and InfernapeTropius11 have also have sided with the ban and it would seem that is how the community feels since there are a lack of comments against them.

Last edited:
Replying to this as a reminder that mega-metagross is on the discussion list but has been overshadowed it seems by greninja.

A few layman opening comments would be that its BST is exceptional (700), has a blistering speed of 110, dank movepool, great defenses, and notable physical prowess in tandem with tough claws (I rarely see mixed / special variants).

Metagross-Mega
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 spDef / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Grass Knot
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

Myself and a few others have used this set. I like grabbing the stabs, especially Zen headbutt to soften the fight against fighting. Grass knot makes the fight against ground and water (among others) a lot easier, with ice punch hitting the rest of ground for hefty damage. I like priority over mash just to have a solid hit against something fast that could potentially sweep otherwise.

Some other notable moves include: Earthquake, rockslide, meteor mash, and thunder punch (just sticking to the physical side).

Anyhoo, just mentioning this as a reminder so that if there are anti-ban metagross users out there, it would be a shame to not hear points for keeping this and just see it enter the shadow realm.

Edit: all falls down did a good job earlier going in to detail on page 65 for the reasons it should be banned. Kyosuru Jets and InfernapeTropius11 have also have sided with the ban and it would seem that is how the community feels since there are a lack of comments against them.
We can also note that MegaGross can single handedly (or with a tiny bit of rocks support, not hard to maintain on steel or psychic,) sweep many types, or put the opposing player in a situation where it's nigh on impossible to return. To list them (I'll be considering meteor mash as opposed to BP in my explanation because I see more MM and so does usage statistics):
Fighting:
Zen Headbutt is ouchies, what does eat it up like Scrafty or Gallade can't take a Meteor Mash or can't retaliate enough with the exception being Cobalion, which most teams don't even run (32.29% have Cobalion) in favor of an HO build. Bulk Up Scrafty can beat it but forcing every Fighting team to run Scrafty to beat two of the most common types seems like an example of overcentralization, no?
Dragon:
Frankly, Meteor Mash + Ice Punch sweeps every dragon team period. Scarfchomp can't finish the job in combination with Bandnite and then you're going to have to run a second scarf to deal with it and at that point you've lost a large portion of your team in an already disadvantageous matchup, provided you do somehow manage to beat it (I usually don't, although I do run only 1 scarf.) lets bring down dialga to beat megagross guys
Rock and Ice:
lol, destiny bond froslass man!!!11!!!!11!1!!!11!
I feel like I shouldn't need to explain this, but nothing likes Meteor Mash here. Nor will anything eat Meteor Mash. Avalugg and Shuckle may be able to but they're too passive and don't have access to a good enough crippling move. Switching after Power Split just returns you to nomal.
Fairy:
Klefki with Prankster Twave can cripple it, which is honestly negligible on Psychic since most do run a healer, Azumarill can take a meteor mash but can't retaliate, although +6 aqua jet can KO if you've put on damage already, other than that it's pretty much your loss, Mawile and Granbull do have intimidate but that is only a temporary solution and I'm sure neither of them would enjoy coming in on a Meteor Mash or staying in on one even after Intimidate.

With these matchups, MegaGross has only used its STABs, meaning MegaGross still has the option to run coverage moves without sacrificing matchup superiority. Most of my personal success beating MegaGross (using Dragon, Fighting, and Rock) has been catching it with a special move on the turn it megas, as the physical bulk is TOO DAMN HIGH (for perspective, MegaChomp has only a 25% chance to OHKO with EQ, and that's only the strongest non boosted EQ in the game). Fighting does this with Infernape, Dragon with Hydreigon, and its still not a 100% success rate. Rock can hope and pray it already has Ddances on Ttar or Meteor Mash misses.

This is a Talonflame situation. Was Talonflame not banned for setting up certain wins versus certain types or forcing them to run certain sets in order to beat it?
MegaGross is an even bigger culprit, with 5 types versus Talon's 3.

tl;dr Ban MegaGross, it's Talonflame all over again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)