ORAS NU Montego Bay Peak #1

GaryTheGengar

I COULD BE BANNED!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Whats good its Gary comin at u with a sweet nu team that I made in like 5 minutes then demolished the ladder with. Somethin about this team just feels special, but unfortunately its gonna be a short lived run at the top for this baby cuz 2 of its key members are boutta get the axe. I peaked #1 under the alt stillness of night and got my reqs for the suspect test, then took another shot at the ladder, making it to 19-0 (3rd, rasta say smoke) before I lost and got bored, so I decided to retire the team and make a RMT.

proof:

I built this team around the deadly combo of specs typhlosion n everyones favorite lizard heliolisk. typh can take advantage of all the free momentum helio brings, as well as wearing down checks like AV hariyama and lanturn. Xatu was next up as typhlosion hates rocks, and I knew i wanted a steady stream of uturns and volt switches, which obviously works much better without hazards wearing down my pokes. I needed a rocks setter of my own, and there is really no reason to not use mega steelix atm, so I threw him on. I paired lix with an assault vest hariyama of my own, protecting my team from the powerful fire attacks flying around the tier as well as giving me a check for opposing heliolisks. I finished the team with a scarf scyther, as I wanted a revenge killer and something to form a u-turn chain with lisk. I played a few matches before mulling over the list of NU pokes, and settling on liepard. The cat offered a powerful sucker punch, u-turn, and most importantly priority encore. After playing a game or two with this team I knew that it was extremely solid, and cruised to the voting requirement rather easily.

Liepard @ Black Glasses
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch
- Encore

Starting us off is this bitchin pokemon. I chose it because I wanted something to revenge kill as well as form a u-turn chain with my other turners. Prio encore is absolutely amazing, and destroys all sorts of garbo strats like smashpass and bp jask, as well as doing some rly cool shit like coming in on DD gatr off of a xatu uturn, or locking NP tales into psyshock. Its applications are really limitless. U-turn is the reason why I chose this poke in the first place, and it forms a nice little voltturn core with xatu and heliolisk. for all the kick ass volt switch users nu has, it has surprisingly few viable uturners, but i think this guy is the best of the bunch. The sets rounded off with knock off and sucker punch, two dark stabs boosted by his sweet ass glasses. Knock off is pretty strong actually, hitting for over 50% on most shit as long as it gets the boost. sucker punch is great with priority encore, ensuring there are 0 mindgames and giving you a pretty powerful prio move. With adamant, you hit helio for 83 - 98.4%, so always a ko after sr and 1 round of lo recoil, and a ko most of the time without (after sr). Liepards sucker and encore combined with hariyama's dual priority ensure I almost never get swept by frail sweepers.

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Surf
- Grass Knot
- Hyper Voice

Helio is a boss. I initially didnt think it had enough to separate it from other powerful volt switchers like rotom-f and lanturn (the ability to deter grounds from blocking volt switch), but it quickly proved me wrong. Hyper voice is a rly powerful neutral stab, and the move that I use 90% of the time. It hits unevolved megalix hard enough so that surf can ko the next turn, while 2hkoing most other grounds such as mega camerupt, as well as most of the tier. Volt switch is the reason why this lil bro is dippin out of the tier, as it gains momentum super easily with helio's coverage destroying all ground types. Grass knot and surf round out the set, 2hkoing mega lix and claydol, as well as ohkoing rhydon and carracosta. Helio makes a great partner for typhlosion, as they share a lot of the same checks like lanturn and hariyama, so they can wear them down for one another to just tear giant holes in the opponents team.

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Extrasensory

this dude is DANGEROUS. people think just cause they got a lanturn or vest yama that they're safe, but nope. you gotta play this dude the exact opposite of the pic. gotta be ready to pounce. I love to make double switches to force this guy in on almost anything slower cuz if they dont resist eruption or are max max specially bulky they're fucked. It also gets a lot of free switches from volt switch and the 2 uturns. Standard ass set, but the best one. Eruption is a nuke, and the cause of most of my wins vs defensive teams after I break down their checks with helio. Fire blast is for when you get below 80ish percent, and is also a huge nuke when you get into blaze range. HP grass is for carracosta, rhydon and other things 4x weak to it. Extrasensory is for AV yama only, but well worth the moveslot. Hit it once with extrasensory with rocks down, and it can no longer check you.

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Psychic
- Roost

Look at this cocky fuck, looking down and laughing at you. He backs up his huge ego tho cuz he is a total badass, fucking over most of the tiers hazard setters. I wanted something to clear hazards to make sure that typhlosion was always at 100% for eruption, as well as for free reign with my volt turn chains. Most spinners in the tier suck ass, and I always run a bulky psychic in NU so xatu was an easy choice. Hes also my boy and we go way back, kicking ass in gen 5 ubers. Standard moveset again, with rocky helmet granting much welcome chip damage vs all sorts of shit like steelix, yama, uturns, fake outs among others. Psychic is basic stab, and deters poisons and fightings, two things I rely on xatu to check as well as blocking hazards. Heat wave is just for mega lix, I'd really rather be using toxic but its necessary atm. Roost is obvious for healing and staying healthy through the match to ensure xatu can do its job. U-turn is the best move on the set, letting xatu block hazards then immediately grab me momentum, as well as doing rly cool shit with liepard. A lotta people like to set up on xatu cause its a weak little shit, but I can use a slowish u-turn to liepard and prio encore their setup attempts. Probably the most satisfying thing to do with this team.

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Best pokemon in the tier, hands down. Steelix walls like half the fuckin meta while just droppin bombs off of almost 400 atk with its dual 100+ bp stabs. On that note, offensive SR setter is definitely its best set. I run 56 speed evs to creep Quagsire as well as other steelix aiming to do the same, and I'm posting it cuz im not a pussy who hides his spreads in rmts lolol (and not just cuz lix is getting banned!!) SR because every competitively viable team needs it, and steelix is a great setter. It threatens most defoggers and spinners because it threatens the entire tier. EQ because it would be a crime not to use it. Heavy slam is steelix's best steel stab, hitting its 120 bp cap against most of the tier and offering great neutral coverage. I round off the set with stone edge, offering coverage against mantine, pelipper and xatu.Toxic is another viable option over stone edge though. Not too much to say about this guy, he does all the talkin in game.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

Hariyama just don't give a fuck. That goes for taking hits from the tiers premier special attackers, and also for living life. I use careful as it can use all the special bulk it can get to take attacks from typhlosion and heliolisk better. Adamant is an option as well, as its priority is pretty weak with a neutral nature. 12 Spe to creep opposing hariyama, as they can be dangerous when paired with a sr setter that can weaken xatu to the point where a knock off on the switch can ko. Close combat is strong stab and has great coverage with knock off. Speaking of, I use knock off like 90% of the time as hari appreciates not having its bulk dropped, and it has perfect neutral coverage with cc. after the opponent has lost a few items through liepard and hariyama, i open up the cc spam. Fake out and bullet punch offer hariyama a niche as a revenge killer, and combined with liepards sucker punch and encore allow fast frail sweepers to be easily revenged, if they can set up in the first place.

Threats:
SR lead archeops can be annoying, but sr getting up doesnt mean that you lose, just puts a timer on your switches

CB fightings can be a bit annoying too as xatu is usually needed to beat them as well as preventing sr, but they can be played around with proper prediction, which is all anyone can do against them rly

shout to cbb for being a strong german, CTC for orderin weed for my after I broke my phone, and finally to good herb, cuz this team wouldn't be around without it. apologies for the huge images but i couldn't figure out how to resize them and making this rmt has already been enough a bitch so im done. Gary out.

import
Liepard @ Black Glasses
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch
- Encore

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Surf
- Grass Knot
- Hyper Voice

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Extrasensory

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Psychic
- Roost

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Could this team get any more standard? Ofc it can! Really isn't to much to say about the team for the first 5 pokes, but the last slot is customizable to w/e you want on your team.

Liepard works, but personally I've been running Choice Scarf Mesprit in the last slot. It works great with Healing Wish support because one poke usually tends to get worn down fairly quickly depending on team matchup and being able to fully heal them late game is amazing. You're a bit weaker to set up sweepers, but this team has amazing momentum and exudes offensive pressure so its not to hard to stop set up sweepers from setting up. Also provides a good revenge killer to hit things like Archeops and other things faster than Heliolisk which is a problem I noticed when I wasn't using scarfed sprit.

@ Choice Scarf | Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid / Modest Nature
Psychic | Energy Ball / Thunderbolt | U-turn | Healing Wish

Edit @ below: seeing as you this team is all about momentum while using it I've personally been able to overpower CM Psychic types with offensive momentum and hard hitting Typhlosion (played correctly this team wont give them a chance to set up with the addition of Mesprit as Mesprit doesn't get rid of any offensive momentum). The last slot is up for grabs and is literally the only thing I would even consider changing on the team. Healing Wish is really really nice as like I said one member of the team tends to get worn down fairly quickly depending on team matchup and being able to heal them up to full is quite nice and allows you to play a bit more recklessly. On top of the Healing Wish support being able to revenge kill stuff like Archeops is pretty important as that is quite a threatening mon to this team as well as DD Gatr with E-ball (which is also a huge threat to this team). Liepard doesn't beat all of the things that Mesprit does as a revenge killer either ?.? I already listed these reasons above, but I guess you must of just glanced over those facts. From playing with Mesprit in the slot extensively (before and after this RMT was posted) it really doesn't open up a hole to set up sweepers as much as you are implying and the Healing Wish is just another option to make it a bit easier as well as offering a solid option of revenging certain threats to this team.

Last edited:

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
i dont see the point of replacing liepard with mesprit since it makes this team a lot weaker to calm mind psychics and boosting sweepers as u said. u havent really listed any real reasons for using mesprit other than healing wish and the stuff u said mesprit beats are already beaten by liepard

as for actual changes theres not much to make since this team is so standard. psyshock is provably better on xatu since it hits hariyama consideranly harder and the rest of your team cant reaply handle it. grass knot over heat wave is also something to consider to let u handle sr setters like rhydon better while ur team doesnt really stuggle with steel types. also jolly is probably bettet on liepard so u can knock off stuff like cm uxie and jynx

GaryTheGengar

I COULD BE BANNED!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
u think I could get away with grass knot FLCL? thats the one change that I've been thinking about, but have kept heat wave so far for megalix. If i used GK i would roll with shock, but for now I like psychic's ability to do more to p much all sr setters. CM uxie isnt rly a threat at all, while jynx is, but i like the power from adamant a lot cuz liepard is a bit of a pussy. you're definitely right on liepard too, i wouldn't call the slot 'up for grabs', I really think liepard is the glue that holds the team together. its a standard af team tho, so you are correct in that its the only member that really could change.

thanks for the rates guys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)