Monthly Art Contest 3!!!

The Smogon Monthly Art Contest!

Welcome to the third ever Smogon Monthly Art Contest! A competition for both digital and traditional artists to show their stuff and boast their skills.

This Month's Theme: Stark Contrast
Theme suggestion by Wickdaggler

Description:Draw a Pokemon of your choice using only two main colors that are extremely different to create a strong contrast! Example: White & Black, Purple & Yellow, Red & Blue, etc. [minimal use of transitional colors are acceptable]

Plus Points For: Strong shading & depth, and make it vivid!

General Rules
[PLEASE READ ALL OF THE RULES BEFORE PARTICIPATING]

1. All Smogon Forum Rules Apply.

2. You're not allowed to ask when the next contest will be out, or when the next poll will be up.

3. If your entry is turned down, no whining, it broke the rules, get over it.

4. Stealing artwork is prohibited, this includes copying another artists’ work (excluding original Pokemon artwork). If you are found to be stealing, you will be disqualified and banned from the current Monthly Art Contest, banned for two MACs after two instances, and permanently banned after three instances.

5. Have a question, or want to suggest a rule or theme? PM Bucky or a current MAC judge with your question or suggestion. Please be practical with your suggestions.

6. Comments & criticisms are welcome, however posts such as “This one is definitely going to win/lose” or “This sucks!” will be deleted and such posts may get you infracted.

7. If you have a problem, take it to PM. We don't want you spamming up the topic.

8. Please don't disrupt this thread (i.e. asking stupid questions repeatedly, trolling, etc). Repeated offenses can get you temporary bans from the MAC.

Pariticipation Rules

1. All entries must fit the theme. The Theme will be specified at the top of the first post. Both traditional and digital pieces are acceptable.

2. All entries MUST fit size restraints.
MIN: 400x400
MAX: 800x800
Entries that do not meet size restraints will be completely ignored.

3. Any users found copying other submissions will be banned and disqualified from the current MAC.

4. DO NOT submit artwork containing vulgar or nude poses. Users who do so will be disqualified and banned from the current MAC.

Judge and Voting Rules and Notes

1. If you want to be a judge, PM Bucky.

2. Judges are allowed to enter the contests, but during judging, ARE NOT allowed to nominate themselves for a poll spot.

3. You are not allowed to vote for yourself on the poll. Anyone caught doing this will have their entry for the poll revoked, and the next runner up in the voting to take their place.

4. Any users found creating multiple accounts to post/vote in any MAC threads/polls will be infracted, disqualified and banned from the current MAC.

The Current Roster of Judges is:
1. Bucky
2. Alchemator
3. Wickdaggler
4. pkmn Trainer Zach
5. Doran Dragon

Judging Process:
Note: Plus Points are now more important than ever! Here's why:
Judges will allot a total of 15 points to each submission:
5 for artistic skill
5 for theme execution
and 5 for scoring the "plus points"

Entries will be tallied and narrowed down based on the number of poll slots which will be regulated as follows:

20+ entries, top 10 selected
10-19 entries, top 7 selected
6-10 entries, top 5 selected
5 and under make it straight to the polls.

Deadline

The deadline is July 22nd. You have 21 days to get your entry in. After the deadline, judges will pick finalists and a poll will be started over the course of 3 days to decide the winner. [Note: Each MAC will generally last 21 days. Winners will be determined during the last week of each month]

Prizes
(New Prize!)
1st place winner will have their art featured in the Smeargle's Art Gallery!
1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will receive an inclusion in the MAC Hall of Fame (currently a work in progress) and will have their art featured in Alchemator's Art Picks in The Smog!! Consecutive wins will also get you cooler trophies!

Good luck everyone!!

You don't have to post "in" or anything to enter, but I'm SOOO looking forward to seeing the submissions!! I'm so excited ^__^

Here's an example of the theme in case anyone was confused.

White is allowed in minimal spots, for example eyes or shiny stuff, but if you can avoid it, more props to you!!

oh gotcha, im doing a greyscale spoink if thats ok? im afriad i didnt quite grasp the theme

im afraid i didnt do a very good job, but it was fun.

its 476x800 pixels, let me know if you need it a sqare

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[I didn't suggest this theme]

I'm looking forward to all of the submissions though! Now you can strive for [some] fame in my article in the Smog!

Good luck ;D

[I didn't suggest this theme]
O___O OOPS!!! Sorry WD!

@filth090: If you're going to stick with a grayscale, I'd suggest intensifying the image a little more; darken the shading and lighten the highlights. I'm looking for EXTREEEMMEEEE!!! Heheheh, other than that, cute Spoink.

I really like the theme for this week. I think it will challenge a lot of artists and the results will be very interesting.

@Bucky Do we have to use complementary colours (e.g. red and green, blue and orange) or can we use any two colours that contrast well?

HellaHellaStyle

The ROCKST☆R connoisseur
is an Artist Alumnus
So after looking through the entire National Pokedex looking for a Pokemon that would look best with the hot-pink and aqua color scheme, I came across Probopass and realized that I could have much more fun with a dark desaturated brown and a lighter bluish silver color.

So yeah, this was my color scheme:

And here is my entry:

And finally, for anyone that wanted to see my entire drawing process:
openCanvas 4.5 event file.

The color of the nose is a lighter variation of the dark brown color (hope that didn't step out of bounds).

"The nose knows."

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Extreme
of a character or kind farthest removed from the ordinary or average

Opposite
situated, placed, or lying face to face with something else or each other, or in corresponding positions with relation to an intervening line, space, or thing

This is a color wheel. It shows the artistic opposites in color quite clearly.

Yes, there is also a real color wheel that shows how light interacts, but this is an art contest and the above is called an Artist's Color Wheel for a reason.

Hella, your picture is amazing, but it's not extreme at all. Just opposite. Same with filth.

HellaHellaStyle

The ROCKST☆R connoisseur
is an Artist Alumnus
Well, now I'm extremely confused.

I might be reading this wrong, but the contest description was:

Draw a Pokemon of your choice using only two main colors that are extreme opposites! Example: White & Black, Purple & Yellow, Red & Blue, etc.
Now, if I'm reading this right, "extreme opposite" means a color and its invert. I'm pretty sure the colors I picked fit the criteria (considering inverting one color gives you the other in Photoshop).

'Course, I'm no expert, so I'd like some clarification from Bucky or any of the judges. Thanks.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Opposite means a color and its invert. But your picture looks very natural. The colors are too desaturated to be called extreme.

Gah, I didn't realize I'd be taken so literally. Sorry everyone! Just use two main colors that create a strong contrast. You aren't necessarily limited to using extreme opposite colors, but be sure that they are extremely different from one another (ex. if I choose yellow as my highlight color, my shading color should NOT be green or orange, but can be blue or purple). And thanks sooo much vonFeidler for posting the color wheel!

I realize that this theme is quite ambiguous, so don't stress out if you can't figure it out. The judges will try to make sure that every submission gets feedback and we'll let you know if your color scheme works.

Also, HellaHellaStyle, I love the drawing! It's fantastic! Personally, I think you should go with a brighter and more vivid color scheme though.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
really like the idea of this theme and i'm keeping my eye on it!

if i get the time after smog artwork i am totally in :)

So after looking through the entire National Pokedex looking for a Pokemon that would look best with the hot-pink and aqua color scheme, I came across Probopass and realized that I could have much more fun with a dark desaturated brown and a lighter bluish silver color.

So yeah, this was my color scheme:
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/7664/oppositecolors.jpg

And here is my entry:
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/9421/monthlyartcontest3entry.jpg

And finally, for anyone that wanted to see my entire drawing process:
openCanvas 4.5 event file.

The color of the nose is a lighter variation of the dark brown color (hope that didn't step out of bounds).

"The nose knows."
I don't normally post in these, but...

I think my reaction will do the talking for me. I really like it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)