Mood Swings

Approved by Eevee General

Idea by Jernmax and Ghoul King

MOOD SWINGS

The Change: Natures bolster the stat they increase by 50%, but lower the stat they decrease by 50%, replacing the normal 10% modification each way. (This is equivalent to a one stage modification up or down)

The Implications: Well, obviously little, if anything is different when comparing something like an Adamant attacker slamming into Physically Defensive Quagsire -the damage calculations will work out a little different because of rounding, but not a lot. But otherwise...

+Speed Natures can allow Pokemon who are otherwise dependent on Scarves to jump past faster Pokemon -Timid Rotom-Wash can outspeed Calm Keldeo and still carry Leftovers. This radically alters the meaning of Speed tiers.

Walls struggle much more to wall their off-Nature defense when dealing with +Attack or +Special Attack Nature opponents. Conversely...

Attackers have a much more difficult decision to be made than usual -Speed? Or Offense? If they go for Speed and hit a relevantly Natured wall, that's thirding their damage output. But if they go for offense and something normally quite slow comes along with Speed and whams them for a OHKO before they OHKO it with their overwhelming offense, well, that sucks.

Nature-locked Pokemon -that is, assorted Event Pokemon- much more strongly feel the difference between the Nature they got vs the Nature they'd prefer.

Mixed attackers suffer enormously -if Garchomp wants to have an at all competent Fire Blast for hitting Skarmory, then it needs to accept a real hit to its durability or Speed, or run a neutral Nature outright!

Trick Room is improved substantially, with more relatively speedy Pokemon being valid Trick Room choices and the fact that Trick Room turns both ends of Nature modification into a plus is better than ever. In particular, Trick Room can run mixed attackers without suffering the problems that will normally occur.

Sticky web might also make a comeback, as it's the only way to control speed!

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
The Change: Natures bolster the stat they increase by 50%, but lower the stat they decrease by 50%, replacing the normal 10% modification each way. (This is equivalent to a one stage modification up or down)
Actually, a stage modification down corresponds to a loss of 33.3333...%. Just a fyi

EV

Banned deucer.
Actually, a stage modification down corresponds to a loss of 33.3333...%. Just a fyi
Assuming they're not making it a custom change, but since the OP lists it as "This is equivalent to a one stage modification up or down" I'm guessing it was a mistake.

Choiced (Band and Specs) will really hurt with this change. Assault Vest looks nice because you basically get a free Calm Mind now with that item and a +SAtk nature. I don't even want to consider the ramifications of Eviolite....

Well even if it will not deter some quick pokes to hit first, at least will help some neutral natured pokes to hit first against not so high speed based positive natured pokes... Which it is still usefull..

It might mean that almost anything can hit hard, almost anything can be defensively and you can never know how fast something is. It can be very interesting in action

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Assuming they're not making it a custom change, but since the OP lists it as "This is equivalent to a one stage modification up or down" I'm guessing it was a mistake.
Yeah, the "one stage modification down" confused me a bit.
config/formats.js
Code:
    {
        name: "Mood Swings", //Thank goodness it's not about every Pokemon getting Moody
        section: "Other Metagames",

ruleset: ['Pokemon', 'Standard', 'Team Preview', 'Swagger Clause', 'Baton Pass Clause'],
        banlist: ['Uber', 'Soul Dew', 'Gengarite', 'Kangaskhanite', 'Lucarionite', 'Mawilite', 'Salamencite'],
        onModifyPokemon: function (pokemon) {
            for (var q in pokemon.side.pokemon) {
                var p = pokemon.side.pokemon[q];
                if (!p.statCalc) {
                    p.newBaseStats = p.template.baseStats;
                    for (var statName in p.newBaseStats) {
                        var stat = p.newBaseStats[statName];
                        stat = Math.floor(Math.floor(2 * stat + p.set.ivs[statName] + Math.floor(p.set.evs[statName] / 4)) * p.level / 100 + 5);

var nature = p.battle.getNature(p.set.nature);
                        if (statName === nature.plus) stat *= 1.5;
                        if (statName === nature.minus) stat *= 0.5;
                        p.newBaseStats[statName] = Math.floor(stat);
                    }
                    p.statCalc = true;
                }
                p.baseStats = p.stats = p.newBaseStats;
            }
        }
    },
Yes I am that fast

Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
config/formats.js
Code:
    {
        name: "Mood Swings", //Thank goodness it's not about every Pokemon getting Moody
        section: "Other Metagames",

ruleset: ['Pokemon', 'Standard', 'Team Preview', 'Swagger Clause', 'Baton Pass Clause'],
        banlist: ['Uber', 'Soul Dew', 'Gengarite', 'Kangaskhanite', 'Lucarionite', 'Mawilite', 'Salamencite'],
        onModifyPokemon: function (pokemon) {
            for (var q in pokemon.side.pokemon) {
                var p = pokemon.side.pokemon[q];
                if (!p.statCalc) {
                    p.newBaseStats = p.template.baseStats;
                    for (var statName in p.newBaseStats) {
                        var stat = p.newBaseStats[statName];
                        stat = Math.floor(Math.floor(2 * stat + p.set.ivs[statName] + Math.floor(p.set.evs[statName] / 4)) * p.level / 100 + 5);

var nature = p.battle.getNature(p.set.nature);
                        if (statName === nature.plus) stat *= 1.5;
                        if (statName === nature.minus) stat *= 0.5;
                        p.newBaseStats[statName] = Math.floor(stat);
                    }
                    p.statCalc = true;
                }
                p.baseStats = p.stats = p.newBaseStats;
            }
        }
    },
Yes I am that fast
This has been implemented on Aqua!

One hour and sixteen minutes and already coded and implemented on Aqua. If that says anything about the quality of this meta (I hope it does) good job Jernmax .
Haha, I might've just gotten lucky. I do enjoy the premise of a metagame where almost anything can preform any roll, atleast to some extent.

You can run a special Bisharp

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Bisharp Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 208-246 (62.2 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Mixed Mega Lopunny

+1 148 SpA Mega Lopunny Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Slowbro: 200-236 (50.7 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mega Alakazam is fearsome!

+1 252 SpA Mega Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Chansey: 355-418 (50.4 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Kyurem-B might be a massive threat

+1 56 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Chansey: 334-394 (47.4 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 56 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Suicune: 333-393 (82.4 - 97.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 56 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 556-655 (138.6 - 163.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Jirachi: 263-309 (65 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

I don't see a counter here...

That's because I wrote the OP, and then Jernmax modified it and posted it... and either doesn't know how stat stages work or forgot to edit the OP appropriately, I don't know which. I wrote it as 1/3rd reduction.

Coded+hosted
0_0

I was offline like 3 hours!

You can run a special Bisharp

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Bisharp Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 208-246 (62.2 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Seems mostly good as a lure set, though really you can do that with a ton of things here... and then Skarmory can be Specially Defensive and you're not so hot anymore.

I do wonder where walls will tend to fall on this spectrum. Will they prefer, as in Standard, to reinforce their strength, or patch up their weakness instead?

+1 252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 203-239 (63.2 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 213-251 (71.2 - 83.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

RIP Raikou and Thundurus. You're no longer birdspam check. Especially Thundurus, as it has a chance of getting 1HKO'd, meaning it can't even revenge kill it.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
I'm thinking that Modest Keldeo could be a powerful wallbreaker in this meta, with either Specs or SubCM. It can hit physically or specially with its boosted SpA stat, so even resists won't want to switch in too much: +1 252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 88 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 201-237 (56.9 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
I can also see things like Mega Slowbro being strong, with an effective +1 def and a calm mind boost or two making it pretty difficult to take down.

I'm thinking that Modest Keldeo could be a powerful wallbreaker in this meta, with either Specs or SubCM. It can hit physically or specially with its boosted SpA stat, so even resists won't want to switch in too much: +1 252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 88 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 201-237 (56.9 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
I can also see things like Mega Slowbro being strong, with an effective +1 def and a calm mind boost or two making it pretty difficult to take down.
Yay another meta where keldeo is op, jeez haven't seen that in a while.
But yeah psychock too seems like it's going to be pretty strong since walls can't boost both defense stats.

Adamant 252 Att Mega Heracross has a 703 Attack stat.
Relaxed 252 Def Mega Steelix has a 838 Defence stat.
Modest 252 SpAtt Mega Alakazam has a 673 Sp. Attack stat.
Calm 252 SpDef Regice has a 748 Sp. Defence stat (and Shuckle has a 838 Sp. Def Stat)

Kind of scary. All natures essentially have a 37% boost on what they originally had (1.1 x 1.37 = 1.5 approx) and a 25% decrease in what they originally had (0.9 x 0.75 = 0.67 approx ).

I actually foresee mixed attackers having trouble in this metagame. While their offenses will be scary on both sides, either they will be slow as fuck or very frail on one side, rendering them suscpetible to priority which they could normally take. Basically, something can either go mixed or avoid revenge killers, but not both. I foresee Lucario's Vacuum Wave being quite good for revenge killing.

Really though, attackers can buff their attacking stats and walls can buff their defending stats and everything will be well and good, but the speed tiers will absolutely fuck everything up. I wouldn't dare run a non-Speed-boosting nature on something without a good deal of bulk, because otherwise it might not even get to attack against other offense.

Suffice to say that Trick Room teams might be fun -- they can run mixed sets without compromising bulk!

I actually foresee mixed attackers having trouble in this metagame. While their offenses will be scary on both sides, either they will be slow as fuck or very frail on one side, rendering them suscpetible to priority which they could normally take. Basically, something can either go mixed or avoid revenge killers, but not both. I foresee Lucario's Vacuum Wave being quite good for revenge killing.

Really though, attackers can buff their attacking stats and walls can buff their defending stats and everything will be well and good, but the speed tiers will absolutely fuck everything up. I wouldn't dare run a non-Speed-boosting nature on something without a good deal of bulk, because otherwise it might not even get to attack against other offense.

Suffice to say that Trick Room teams might be fun -- they can run mixed sets without compromising bulk!
Yeah! Speed tiers are all messed up! I can foresee something running a 252/4+/252 spread to get great mixed defences. Trick room is definitly viable in this metagame, being able to have a boosted offensive nature and a decreasing speed nature!

There is also a wider range of pokemon for trick room teams, as the speed decrease is greater. Things in the 90-100 range are now much more viable.

Super simple, but such a good idea. Your investments truly matter in this, and that can show some true teambuilding skill. I am definitely going to try this on Aqua soon.

Reactions: EV
Gothitelle might be really good at trapping things like Heatran. In regular play Lava plume is a 3HKO unless you invest, now you can just boost your special defence and you'll take it and easily recover off. You open up a wider arrange of pokemon who you can trap as you'll escape the 3HKO.

I'm noticing a lot of pokemon with monstrous offensive stats that will be extremely scary with a + Speed nature.

Physically we have:
Mega Heracross, Kyurem-B, Mega Garchomp, Rampardos, (mega) Tyranitar, Mega Scizor, Haxorus and maybe even Darmanitan to name a few.
Just imagine a couple of them banded, while still having great speed.

Where as specially there is:
Mega Gardevoir, Chandelure, Thundurus-T, Porygon-Z, Mega Blastoise, Magnezone, Glaceon, Heatran, Kyurem, Meloetta, Hydreigon, etc, etc.
Again, just ridiculous speed and power.

Just looking at the pokemon above I got from looking at the top 100 Atk and SpA stat pokemon, I'm noticing a few cool things.

Firstly Magnezone can have speed from Timid and power from Specs at the same time, making it far more effective at its role and leaving very little reason to ever use Magneton over it.

Another thing I noticed is the rise of Ice types.

We all know that Ice is epic offensive typing. Well now lots of previously poor Ice types can really shine. Timid Specs Glaceon is one thing I imagine to be quite strong. I've also listed Kyurem Black and standard Kyurem. Both of these with +Speed nature will be great as well as Mamoswine.
The next thing I'm thinking is Rotom-Frost. With a +Speed nature along side LO or Specs it could finally abuse that epic STAB BoltBeam.
Also there are plenty of Ice type mixed attackers which I'm sure will strive on Trick Room teams.
The most obvious being Mega Abomasnow, with great mixed offenses and strong Priority vs other priority attackers.
In fact, with -Speed natures reducing speed much more now, even things that aren't that slow like Mega Glalie and Kyurem (B) could prove to be terrific mixed attackers in Trick Room. Even Freeze Dry Mamoswine.

Anyway, on the flip side of my first point you could have really fast pokemon running +SpA natures and boosting items to actually deal strong damage.

Modest Specs Electrode retains its great speed while nuking and pivoting around with Volt Switch. Electric Mega Beedrill
+1 252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 140-165 (53.6 - 63.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Choice Specs Electrode Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 186-220 (46 - 54.4%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Speaking of Mega Beedrill.
+1 252 Atk Choice Band Ninjask U-turn vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 142-168 (46.8 - 55.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Adaptability Mega Beedrill U-turn vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 134-158 (44.2 - 52.1%) -- 75.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Obviously this is standard OU Mega Bee, and Adamant Mega Bee will still out damage Ninjask in this meta. But is it worth it anymore?

Any way I think that is enough for now. Great meta guys :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)