Moody (Ubers Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all hate this...

Now that Inconsistent is banned in OU, let's discuss this for Ubers!

Inconsistent

Pokemon that can learn Inconsistent:

Smeargle (DW Unreleased)
Octillery (DW Released)
Glailie (DW Unreleased)
Bibarel (DW Released)

Sets:

Octillery@Leftovers
252HP/252Spd/4SAtk
Timid
-Substitute
-Protect
-Surf
-Flamethrower/Icebeam/Energy ball

Your basic inconsistent sweeper. Get a speed boost on anything harmless with protect, then sweep a team. Surf can be dropped if groudon is in team, energy ball can be used for kyogre.

Bibarel@Leftovers
252HP/252Spd/SAtk
-Substitute
-Protect
-Surf
-Taunt/Ice beam

Taunt can be used to block phazing moves like from lugia or groudon. Pretty much the same but different stat distribution and normal typing.

Weaknesses:

UHHHHHHHHHHHHH..........

Priority when sub is not down, Haze, Moves that can't miss (Aura sphere/Tunder in rain)

Why is inconsistent less broken in Ubers:

In ubers, you'll see a lot more thunders in rain and aura spheres. They can never miss ruining any evasion boosts. Phazing moves can still work and then the boosts reset. Moves are more powerful and may be able to break through substitutes. Toxic spikes is a lot more common, negating lefties. The released octillery and bibarel are also weal to thunder.

Why inconsistent is still broken:

After a lucky speed boost, then it can potentially sweep a team. Can stall out opponents with toxic spikes support. Can PP stall out thunder.

So let's discuss. Please just don't say INCONSISTENT IS FREAKING BROKEN AND NEEDS TO BE BANNED EVEN IN UBERS. We all know that...

You forgot Assist Power Smeargle:

Smeargle@Leftovers
252HP/252 Spe Timid
-Assist Power
-Baton Pass
-Protect
-Substitute

If you say this set is bad, then I highly doubt you have ever used it and / or ever faced it. IT CAN ACTUALLY OHKO JIRACHI AND BLISSEY WITH ENOUGH BOOSTS. Also if it ever faces a dark type, it can just baton pass to something insane like Restalk Kyogre with Calm mind or something else; it doesn't matter when you have boosted defensive and offensive stats from Inconsistant.

EDIT@Acritter: wups changed.

Smeargle@Leftovers
252HP/252 Spe Jolly
-Assist Power
-Baton Pass
-Protect
-Substitute

If you say this set is bad, then I highly doubt you have ever used it and / or ever faced it. IT CAN ACTUALLY OHKO JIRACHI AND BLISSEY WITH ENOUGH BOOSTS. Also if it ever faces a dark type, it can just baton pass to something insane like Restalk Kyogre with Calm mind or something else; it doesn't matter when you have boosted defensive and offensive stats from Inconsistant.
Um, slight problem. Assist Power is special, so your Smeargle should be Timid, not Jolly. Unless you want to boost your Struggles.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
I have had great success using octillery in standard Ubers:

Octillery @ leftovers
248HP / 96Def / 28SpD / 136Spe
Bold

-Substitute
-Protect
-Surf
-Toxic / Energy Ball

The greatest partner that I have come across is this annoying Erufuun:

Erufuun @ Leftovers
240HP / 216Def / 56 Spe
Bold

-Stun Spore
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Hurricane

Rain support is also preferable. With paralysis and/or leech seed support, octillery can more easily start the sub/protect cycle, using Surf and Toxic as necessary.

You might as well use Bidoof, just because it's so hilarious to sweep with a Bidoof, and the very real chance that you'll win even though it's a Bidoof.

Lol, the sets are only for the released pokes yet. But yeah, assist power smeargle definitely deserves a set as well as ice breath glalie.

INCONSISTENT IS FREAKING BROKEN AND NEEDS TO BE BANNED EVEN IN UBERS.

And still, Inconsistent is actually really easy to build a team around. Poison Arceus / Rapid Spinner + Inconsistent mon is amazing, especially since Forretress and Tentacruel can also lay down toxic spikes.

So, is the fact that Inconsistent is going to be in Ubers going to ruin it completely? Although it is merely the banning list for OU, I think this will destroy the Ubers metagame. If your foe has a Nattorei/Blissey/Forretress/what have you out, and you get a Bidoof in, it's game over unless you're incredibly unlucky/you don't have Toxic Spikes up.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Inconsistent probably won't even remain in Ubers after a while. I'm working to get it banned.

I thought nothing is banned in Ubers. Randomly slap in Perish Song or Curse to deal with Inconsistent? or the Unaware Quagsire can deal with them?
Rain Thunders and Aura Sphere helps. I hate evasion boosts since I missed a lot of moves.

Well, things like Evasion moves and OHKOes are banned because they presumably make the game "uncompetitive"; I assume Inconsistent is the same way.

It should be banned for promoting reliance on "hax", also known as decreasing the importance of skill, strategy, and risk management (lol). If we wanted to ban it for power alone, Ho-oh and STag Shandy should be banned because they are (imo) the most powerful Pokemon in Gen V.

No. It should not be banned. Banning it would defeat the purpose of Ubers.

Rather, a standard clause should be implemented, like OHKO and Evasion clauses. Note how OHKO and Evasion are not banned; they are forbidden by a clause. I believe that Inconsistent should receive the same treatment.

It should be banned for promoting reliance on "hax", also known as decreasing the importance of skill, strategy, and risk management (lol). If we wanted to ban it for power alone, Ho-oh and STag Shandy should be banned because they are (imo) the most powerful Pokemon in Gen V.
How is ho-oh so powerful? It's HP is cut in half from SR. While hard to counter, it is by no means the most powerful. ST Shandera hasn't been released yet. While it can pick off a whole team, it isn't that broken.

Most people are now treating ubers as a tier, not a banlist and besides, we can make a clause against it or advancing the evasion clause into abilities.

Stealth Rock is no longer a problem for Ho-oh thanks to Regeneration, and even if its illegal with Roost it still has Recover for healing.

Also supporting Inconsistent clause for it makes Uber even more Inconsistent.

Stealth Rock is no longer a problem for Ho-oh thanks to Regeneration, and even if its illegal with Roost it still has Recover for healing.

Also supporting Inconsistent clause for it makes Uber even more Inconsistent.
On the topic of Ho-Oh, SR really hurts it as it allows Draco Meteors from Palkia and MixQuaza to pick it off more easily.

I think that a check to Inconsistent is the Extreme Killer. If there are no Evasion or Defense boosts, the target will die horribly.

Rather, a standard clause should be implemented, like OHKO and Evasion clauses. Note how OHKO and Evasion are not banned; they are forbidden by a clause. I believe that Inconsistent should receive the same treatment.
You do realize the definition of 'to ban' is 'to forbid' right? What you said means the same thing as "OHKO and Evasion are not forbidden; they are forbidden by a clause."

Yeah, I do. But, I think that that should be the method of banning, not being completely forbidden, like Kyogre is completely forbidden from UU.

Cooky

Banned deucer.

Smeargle@Leftovers
252HP/252 Spe Timid
-Assist Power
-Baton Pass
-Protect
-Substitute

EDIT@Acritter: wups changed.
With those Evs a Smeargle with +6 in every stat (just for arguments sake so Assist Power reaches base 860) deals 19.5% - 23% to standard Blissey and 14.3% - 17% to 4 HP Jirachi with Assist Power. You should probably think before you speak.

edit: absolutely rinsed, apologies man

You forgot to put him at +6 SpAtk for calculation purposes. It does 71.8% - 84.5% to 252/252 calm Blissey.
Also lets not forget the fact that Smeargle can just BP to a Ghost or Ground completely nullifying one of the two moves that can actually ignore your evasion boosts. Another notable BP partner is Arceus-Poison for its ability to absorb Toxic-Spikes while resisting Aura Sphere.

It should be banned because Ubers is NOT a place for stuff that is banned in other tiers. Something that is broken in OU may well be broken in Ubers as well, and in this case Inconsistent is broken in Ubers as well. What has changed from OU to Ubers Inconsistent?

- More chance of getting KO'd thanks to moves like Aura Sphere or Thunder.

So wait, there's a slightly higher chance of getting KO'd from Aura Sphere, if the opponent has that move on their team, if the user doesn't put the counter to sleep/recover/take next to nothing from Aura Sphere. Inconsistent will over centralise the meta-game, as every team will need 1 or 2 things which has Aura Sphere and Thunder, just to deal with Inconsistent.

I believe one of the reasons of banning something from a tier is "overcentralising the metagame". I believe that inconsistent does exactly that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)