Moody (Ubers Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we wouldn't ban it for over-centralization otherwise we would just end up with OU(Kyogre over centralizes). HOWEVER, we can ban it because it's far too luck based. Sometimes your opponent gets the boosts they need while other times you manage to deal with the inconsistent poke before it does too much damage. Neither player has any control over it and its basically a series of crap shoots over several turns. In addition to that its just not fun to play against IMO.

Kyogre doesn't overcentralise the same way that inconsistent does. A team really only just needs one check to kyogre without changing a team too much with it but in order to counter inconsistent, you have to really dedicate stuff like if you use thunder, you need rain team, aura sphere, you may need to sack a move, haze, well duh.

How is ho-oh so powerful? It's HP is cut in half from SR. While hard to counter, it is by no means the most powerful. ST Shandera hasn't been released yet. While it can pick off a whole team, it isn't that broken.

Most people are now treating ubers as a tier, not a banlist and besides, we can make a clause against it or advancing the evasion clause into abilities.
I meant that those two are the most powerful (imo), yet still should not be banned because bans from Ubers i.e. clauses should be due to the ability/pokemon/anything causing a lack of reliance on skill or "risk management".

I believe one of the reasons of banning something from a tier is "overcentralising the metagame". I believe that inconsistent does exactly that.
Not to mention that it removes any element of skill from the game. That's bad, even in the 'broken' tier of Ubers.

Says the guy from HCI :P

Anyway Inconsistent kinda sucks a bit more in Ubers because the enemies hit too fast and hard. SOME even have Priority! Of course it's still broken shit and the fact that a lot of people will RQ after their Glalie dies REALLY REALLY SUCKS.
Last I checked HCI was the name of a chemical. :P

Anyway even though things like Aura Sphere exist moar in ubers Inconsistent should still be banned simply because Octillery still exists. >_>

For Octillery, Thunder handles it nicely.

Anyway, although it would be nice to have it banned, does it really over-centralize the Ubers tier? I've seen a total of two evasion teams and one inconsistent team so far (none of which beat me). It just doesn't seem that common to me, and far more unreliable than it is in OU.

Well, it's more the fact that one pokemon can sweep a WHOLE team just by relying on luck makes any metagame crap.

I thought nothing is banned in Ubers. Randomly slap in Perish Song or Curse to deal with Inconsistent? or the Unaware Quagsire can deal with them?
Rain Thunders and Aura Sphere helps. I hate evasion boosts since I missed a lot of moves.
You aren't going to be able to live long enough to perish song or curse when you're getting hit by +6 attacks. Also, thunder and aura sphere aren't gonna be doing much when your foe is at +6 special defense.

Your automatically assuming they're going to get to +6. If I ever faced an inconsistent user, I'd try to either phaze them or kill them ASAP, because letting them get that many boosts is just silly. Of course with evasion that's not always guaranteed, but that's where Aura Sphere and Thunder come into play. Their Sp.Def won't be at plus six immediately. At worst when you switch in it's +2, and considering the hard-hitting Ubers using these attacks and the frailness of inconsistent users, it will still hurt.

Also, look at the flip side of inconsistent. Who's to say that they're going to get a useful boost?

Haze might prove a useful move to avoid missing, also, it doesn't have negative priority, especially since on Dreamworld Murkrow (backed by Evo-Stone), Haze gains priority with Mischievous Heart.

The thing is, that if they get a speed boost (and they can switch in and try again multiple times), then they can sweep a whole team.

Hmm Why Didn't Anyone Mention Taunt? It Prevents Them from Putting Up a Sub or Using Protect :S and Forces Them to Attack :3
Then the enemy can just spam attacks until Taunt ends. By that time they most likely would already have gotten a +X in X offensive stat. Then, they proceed to kill most of your team.

The problem is that the boosting is AUTOMATIC. It's basically a +2 boosting move without a turn of setup.

Wait. To everyone talking about using Rain Thunders: does Thunder gain Swift accuracy in rain, or is it just because it's a strong, accurate, SE move? If it's the latter, then isn't it no better than any other strong move? Can't Octillery just set up Kyogre's face (sub on switch, protect, sub dies and resub, protect, and so on)?

IMO it shouldn't be allowed to remain in Ubers for a couple of reasons. First I want to say that I only ever play Ubers as a distraction from OU and have never got past 1400 CRE or so.

The main argument, I guess, is whether Ubers is going to remain as a banlist or as a recognised tier. If its a tier, which I and most others believe it should be, then leaving in place an ability which clearly provides the ability to sweep easily given reasonable luck is wrong. If the opponent gets lucky then there's really not a hell of a lot you can do about it. Even if you manage to force them out, that's normally all you're doing; they can come back at almost any stage on a kill or against a wall.

The problem is that the boosting is AUTOMATIC. It's basically a +2 boosting move without a turn of setup.
Aren't you forgetting the -1? On average, it's a +1 per turn, not +2.

Wait. To everyone talking about using Rain Thunders: does Thunder gain Swift accuracy in rain, or is it just because it's a strong, accurate, SE move?
Yes it does. In fact, in DP, it would hit through Protect 30% of the time, though I think that property is gone now.

Yup, Thunder never misses in rain. Unfortunately, they can just run Groudon/Ninetales. And once they kill Kyogre, you're screwed.

If a Bidoof can sweep a team of ubers with this ability (which I've seen happen numerous times) then that speaks for itself. It should be banned.

Aren't you forgetting the -1? On average, it's a +1 per turn, not +2.

Yes it does. In fact, in DP, it would hit through Protect 30% of the time, though I think that property is gone now.
Huh. Wow. Thought it just gained 100 accuracy. Can't it be PP stalled out anyway?

I agree. After playing against one Inconsistent user, I find that I am now totally in favor of banning this from Ubers altogether as well. The other day I had a sweep all but assured with my Uber team, only for Inconsistent Octillery to pop out and totally steal my buzz. I don't feel like I should have lost that battle on a basis of skill, and it even took him quite a long time to get any significant evasion boosts. Quite disappointing.

the chances of getting a speed boost is about 14% right?

so if you use lead octillery, and protect/switch out until you get a speed boost, (saccing your whole team in the process) that gives you 7 tries.

does someone know the formula? if you try 7 times to get the right boost each try at 14%, whats the chance you get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)