Moody (Ubers Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Inconsistent is for noobs who don't know how to PO.(read: China people)
I'm pretty insulted. Inconsistent should be banned because it requires far too obscure checks that have little utility outside of countering inconsistent (save for aura sphere, but that is more a coincidental check than a purposeful one, same goes for thunder). I mean unaware quagsire, really? Admittedly aura sphere and thunder are quite common, thunder much more so, the latter is still situational, and from my experience aura sphere is only run as a staple on mewtwo (or nasty plot lucario, but again, in ubers, really?).

jrp

Banned deucer.
^agreed. aside from the blatant racism there, that's not proving anything.
Inconsistent adds a controllable element of luck to the game. We ban evasion moves. Inconsistent uses very little strategy to use, and on a
Strategy based site, frankly, it's unacceptable imo

Wait, the blatant racism IS proving something then?

"aside from the blatant racism there, that's not proving anything."

I'm not seeing it.

jrp

Banned deucer.
He's stereotyping chinese people as playing unfairly.
*cough* anyway, yeah I shouldn't have brought that up >_<

Do "China People" refer to people like me, trickroom and shiny azelf? Seriously. Anyway, inconsistent deserves a suspect test in ubers. All those in favour, say Aye!

Aye!

Aye.

I feel guilty for agreeing so readily but it's neither skillful nor interesting. Saying that Inconsistent can backfire just as likely as it can destroy, while true, doesn't change the fact that it is less of a strategy and more of (almost entirely, really) a dumb gamble.

People keep comparing it to OHKO moves and I put this forward: technically, since they aren't affected by Accuracy or Evasion modifiers a OHKO move has between 25% and 30% chance to "break" one pokemon. Inconsistent has, again approximately, 7% chance to break an entire team (potentially 6 pokemon; 6*7 = 42). That means if you are to base it against one pokemon it is effectively 50% more likely to "break" (using 42 and 27.5) to break one pokemon. Therefore, if a OHKO move is "too broken" then Inconsistent is definitely too "too broken."

jrp

Banned deucer.
Aye. Get that shit out of this metagame.

(Plus, with the ranking being behind number 15, if there is a suspect test, I'm ranked 16th, was ranked 12th, but lost to an inconsistent team, ironically, but I can easilly get back up, hee hee)

Yeah, your ass bumped me down to 18th, putting me (I think) 3 points out 15th+15.
Jerk.

Kidding. I'll get back up also and we can vote it down once Suspect gets approved.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Aye, but Inconsistent, how I shall miss thee! By the way:
Inconsistent probably won't even remain in Ubers after a while. I'm working to get it banned.
^How did nothing become of this? Smogon bureaucracy waiting for the sort of confirmation offered in this thread?

P.S. Should this be made badge-worthy? You know, those badges are pretty nifty-looking, and I have been quite curious of the "inner workings" of Smogon... ;) Let's see if I can get back to the top 5 on the Smogon server.

olol
I fought an Inconsistent Smeargle just an hour ago.
Thank god for the RestTalk Hera I put on my team just to beat Darkrai. :/

(then again, the opponent was a retard, his moveset was Butterfly/Spore/Sub/Judgement. Trololololol)

Aye.

I'm running a DW Ubers tourney on another forum I frequent and I have Inconsistent banned. It seems like people are enjoying it a lot more.

I haven't played much DW ubers, so forgive me if my comment seems out of sorts, but couldn't you just run something with Perish Song? The Inconsistant user is now on a three turn clock regardless of subs and boosts. Back when it was still legal in OU, I used a rain team with Perish Song + Protect on Politoed, and it beat the shit out of Inconsistant users.

Granted this may not apply to ubers, but I felt it was at least worth a mention?
Although I do agree, it should probably be banned, but there are ways around it. =)

Who the fuck uses Perish Song in Ubers?

Virtually nothing usable in ubers can run it, outside of Arceus. You are faster running an ExtremeKiller/CMJudgement set anyway, period.

You could though the only thing thats commonly seen in ubers and has access to Perish Song iss Arceus and if you're forced to run that its a waste of an Arceus, so its not really a great option though it would counter inconsistent.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
It has gone unmentioned in this entire thread but I counter Inconsistent using Ghost Arceus' Perish Song, which has utility outside of just countering Inconsistent pokes.

This is for stall teams though. Inconsistent is a much better threat to offensive teams.

Yeh, like you said, its fine to use Perish Song on Arceus if it is a defensive variant, but running Persih Song prevents you from running a SD set, or a CM set effectively, since those sets both require the mazimum amount of coverage that they can get, and like having access to recover (CM especially). That being said, Perish Song, along with Curse, Haze and Unaware pokemon are the only real counters to Inconsistent as such.

Does that mean that offense teams can never reliably beat inconsistent? Because offense teams really rely on changing a lot to beat inconsistent while stall has ways of managing it. It is just unfair.

The most reliable way to beat Inconsistent is to beat them before they get enough boosts.

Except it's so easy to stall especially since every single fucking Pokemon ingame(outside of lolRegigigas) that can learn TMs can use Sub and Protect. I only beat that Inconsistent Smeargle because of all the things he used JUDGEMENT, which runs off Smeargle's horrid base SpA. Then again, who the fuck uses Smeargle for offense, his offenses are even lower than Kakuna. :/

I was appalled that something is going to be banned from uber

banned from the land of the banned, how broken can such a thing be

Okay then

Inconsistent, in my opinion, is inconsistent. Because it is inconsistent, it relies on luck. The same luck that powers your so called "hax". And since srs bsns people hate hax, they hate luck.

Yes, actually, this whole place is dedicated to strategy. Pokemon strategy, of course, but strategy nonetheless. Smogon is where serious battlers come to discuss their strategies, and banning stuff to make competitive pokemon a better strategy game for everyone.

Of which, inconsistent is one of the strategies.

It might require luck, and is not as complicated as many other strategies, and easy as hell to pull off, but in the end it still is a strategy. A valid tactic provided by the creators of the game for all the gamblers that whine at the lack of slot machines in HGSS.

So, I say no to banning inconsistent. As much as I hate facing one, it still is a valid strategy.

Eh... perhaps I did not clarify my point enough. Sorry for that.

I take inconsistent as a valid strategy because, unlike minimize which has minimal drawback (2x damage from stomp lol), inconsistent can easily backfire to the user.

Okay, that argument may be over used already, still, I think of it as a valid strategy.

Of course, this is only my opinion. It doesn't really mean anything does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)