Moody (Ubers Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disklike the idea of having an ability, solely based on luck allowing anyone to win if the manage to get a +2 speed or evasion boost.

I dislike this ability, but look at this:

Octillery @ Leftovers
200 HP/220 SpAtk/88 Spe
Modest / Moody

Scald/Surf
Acid Spray
Substitute
Protect

This doesn't even need toxic to beat its counters, since there is no steel-type that is going to enjoy being burned. The only thing that can withstand it if you can start the cycle is BU Dialga, and if you have rain it gets 2hko'ed by Scald at +6. It also gives it a reliable way to beat Chansey/Blissey and the rare rest-talkers like Giratina other than just stalling them out by time. Speed outspeed 4 spe Blissey, I don't think he can outspeed much of anything else. :P

lol @ all the butthurt nigletts crying about Inconsistent.

My beloved Arceus losing to Bibarel? There must be justice! Let's ban in a tier where bans don't take place!

lol @ all the butthurt nigletts crying about Inconsistent.

My beloved Arceus losing to Bibarel? There must be justice! Let's ban in a tier where bans don't take place!
I believe your mistaking ubers with street pokemon. Ubers has several things banned including but not limited to, sleep moves when a pokemon is already asleep, evasion moves, and OHKO moves.
Also no one is upset that Bibarel is KOing Arceus, they're upset because of HOW Bibarel was able to OHKO Arceus. If you Baton Pass +6/6 to a Bibarel, you'll be hard-pressed to find someone who thinks you did something cheap. If you sweep someone with a Blissey who Minimized to +6 evasion, most people will probably think you did something cheap.

Four counters to sub/protect in general

Roar, Whirlwind, Perish Song and Taunt. Alternatively you could also use Attract, Curse(on a ghost) or Destiny Bond.

Beyond the Aura Spheres, I'm sure someone can fit one of these moves into their team. Phazing and Taunt are already viable enough, I just see Moody as opening up a few more quirky moves to be more useful (thinking of perish song and attract).

It's ubers, the OU banlist. When thrown a curveball, swing at it.

That being said, it's still super broken.

Four counters to sub/protect in general

Roar, Whirlwind, Perish Song and Taunt. Alternatively you could also use Attract, Curse(on a ghost) or Destiny Bond.

Beyond the Aura Spheres, I'm sure someone can fit one of these moves into their team. Phazing and Taunt are already viable enough, I just see Moody as opening up a few more quirky moves to be more useful (thinking of perish song and attract).

It's ubers, the OU banlist. When thrown a curveball, swing at it.

That being said, it's still super broken.
Roar and Whirlwind can miss due to evasion boosts. Also some of the Moody users have Taunt, such as Glalie and Smeargle.

Perish Song is just asking the Moody user to Baton Pass to Wobuffet and you are screwed because you can't switch out but Wob can. Attract fails cause of Substitute. Destiny Bond sucks with just 8 PP which can be easily stalled out.

Taunt? Which Moody user cares about Taunt? You still get all the boosts and Taunt ends in 3 turns. The user can just attack your Taunt user until you die, or wait till Taunt's effect ends.

I believe your mistaking ubers with street pokemon. Ubers has several things banned including but not limited to, sleep moves when a pokemon is already asleep, evasion moves, and OHKO moves.
Also no one is upset that Bibarel is KOing Arceus, they're upset because of HOW Bibarel was able to OHKO Arceus. If you Baton Pass +6/6 to a Bibarel, you'll be hard-pressed to find someone who thinks you did something cheap. If you sweep someone with a Blissey who Minimized to +6 evasion, most people will probably think you did something cheap.
No, I'm not mistaking Ubers for Street Pokemon. There's no reason to ban Moody from Ubers, and that's it. There are clauses in place to avoid things like "boosting evasion ftw" or "relying on 30% acc moves for OHKOs." Moody gives you, like a 1/7 chance of gaining evasion per turn, and at the cost of losing out in another stat. Not only do they have to be lucky enough to get the evasion boost, but they'd have to be lucky enough to dodge. We're also talking about Ubers, the metagame where everyone has perfect accuracy moves (Thunder and Aura Sphere). It'd be rare to find an Uber team without either of those moves.
Not sure what's up with the second part of your post. Perhaps you need to work on understanding different ideas and coming up with better ways to get your points across.

What about that boost in speed? Speed = subs. 2/7 + protect. After a couple of turns, almost guaranteed to get a good boost. There is just too much chance of it being OP.

Nobody should enjoy playing against moody. Even if it doesn't lead to a straight up 6/0 when it comes into play, more often then not it will lead to a 23-26 turn stall, possibly longer than that. It has the potential to be an insane stall utility. Glalie having taunt and hitting every uber but Kyogre and Manaphy for at least neutral damage with its STAB is a very intimidating thing, since its not as slow, nor as vulnerable as Bibarel and Octillery, who are both weak to Thunder, which is far more common than Aura Sphere. The only crying niglets are those who want this idiotic ability unbanned so they "CaN tr0ll ub@r noobz for epik winz teh lulz!!1". No self respecting player should want to ladder with this nonsense anyway. This thread should be closed already.

...Whatever Gypsy just said.
The only time I've seen a "self respecting player" play with Moody are those abusing it to get it banned. Moody, if not banned to Street, should atleast be a clause.

Even though ubers is traditionally the domain of everything bar none...moody is stupid. Clause it. Don't introduce it into the tier. It's no fun. While no good player would ever use it, and while no bad player can ever be consistent using inconsistent, it's annoying when you lose to it.

The thing is, without a speed boost moody does jack shit and unless you're going up against stall you're going to have pretty limited opportunities to switch in, use protect and hope for the right boost, in which situation you still can fail granted you don't have the right two moves other than sub and protect to take down whatever your opponent sends out, because unless you have the right attack or the right support move in those slots, something or other is gonna take you out, which really frankly seems no different than any other uber to me. Maybe no one good with moody has played against me, but objectively it doesn't seem any more broken than anything else in ubers. At least we should wait for the official release of Moody Smeargle with Stored Power/Baton Pass, since that's probably about as ridiculous as moody's gonna get, though obviously all the individual users have their indivdiual upsides/downsides, and collectively they're all weak to all entry hazards and aren't so much afraid of the stats that get lowered as the stats that haven't been boosted since without defense boosts their subs are gonna get constantly broken, and even with them there's a chance they still will get broken anyways, and certainly even stuff like Glalie Ice Beam on non 4x weak dragons isn't gonna have the necessary oomph without a boost.

PS: Remember turns where they're using protect can get pretty predictable which is time in which you can boost and guarantee you get the boost you need, in which case you're probably coming out ahead causing even a Glalie with +2 speed is dead meat against a Groudon with +2 speed and even no defense investment Groudon can survive everything weaker than Blizzard. You can also use protect turns to switch, once again basically leaving the opponent with the same effect as if they'd boosted those pokemon regularly. Basically, yeah it can be boring and predictable to fight against moody pokemon, but it takes as many turns or more turns to reach a definite win condition with them as with other pokemon, and in the meantime you're just hoping your opponent doesn't outplay you, which once again really isn't different from any other strategy.

The good Smeargle set:
EVs: I dunno will figure out later, probably 252HP/252Spe/4SpDef
Protect
Substitute
Assist Power
Baton Pass

Good team Partners include::
Arceus-Poison, Groudon, Arceus-Ground, Giratina-O, Arceus-Ghost, and other BP users.
Arceus-Poison absorbs toxic spikes and is resistant to Fighting(Aura Sphere). The other four are immune to Electric and Fighting respectively and with nutty boosts passed to them, they can easily sweep. Get in like any other Moody user and start getting boosts. If they send out a dark poke pass a sub to something else once you have enough boosts.

Which just proves of the obscurity required to check inconsistent.
lol so by this logic SR and spikes and toxic spikes should be bannable because you need to pack an obscure, rare move like rapid spin (seriously there are only like 6 worthwhile spinners in the whole game :/ and SR alone makes half of the FE pokemon in the game unusable in OU/Ubers)

I wouldn't mind a moody clause, but it's ridiculously easy to counter, there are so many ways to counter it:

Clear Smog
Haze
Whirlwind
Roar
Unaware
Psych Up
Heart Swap
Power / Guard Swap
Skill Swap
Roleplay
Dragon Tail
Circle Throw

Not hard to plan a team that has one of these moves on someone bulky. Seriously. And they're good even if your enemy lacks a moody pokemon.

lol so by this logic SR and spikes and toxic spikes should be bannable because you need to pack an obscure, rare move like rapid spin (seriously there are only like 6 worthwhile spinners in the whole game :/ and SR alone makes half of the FE pokemon in the game unusable in OU/Ubers)

I wouldn't mind a moody clause, but it's ridiculously easy to counter, there are so many ways to counter it:

Clear Smog
Haze
Whirlwind
Roar
Unaware
Psych Up
Heart Swap
Power / Guard Swap
Skill Swap
Roleplay
Dragon Tail
Circle Throw

Not hard to plan a team that has one of these moves on someone bulky. Seriously. And they're good even if your enemy lacks a moody pokemon.
Really...have you ever played moody teams? You realize all of the moves you stated have accuracy, and can miss once evasion is boosted. This coupled with the fact that many of the moves stated have no effect on subs/don't phaze through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)