1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Morte Et Dabo - an OU sun team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Amaura, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Amaura

Amaura formerly TCR
    is a Contributor to Smogon

[​IMG]
    Hey guys, me again with a new team. This team is titled "Morte Et Dabo" because 1)AA is an amazing band, and 2) this team won't take **** from top meta threats, like politoed and tyranitar. I built this team with 2 goals in mind, to make Kyurem-b a huge offensive threat, and to use sun to the fullest in a rain-dominated environment. This team may seem like its based off lavos spawn's team, and that's because it is. Deal with it.

Preview
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sets
    [​IMG]
    Dugtrio @Focus Sash
    - Arena Trap -
    252 Speed/ 252 atk/ 4 def
    jolly
    21 hp ivs
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Reversal
    - Stealth Rock

Here, we have a god trapper, who works great with xatu in luring in tyranitar. And then it's like, **** you, I win. It can also check other things, like sd terrakion, heatran, volcarona, and other massive sun threats. It also happens to set up rocks, if it can find the time and xatu hasn't gotten round to it. Earthquake is very useful for nailing tyranitar, terrakion, tentacruel, etc. stone edge hits volc hard, but is mainly filler. Reversal is useful for Chansey/blissey, and 21 HP ivs gives duggy exactly 201 HP, allowing it to survive 2 seismic tosses and hit back with a full powered reversal.

[​IMG]
    Kyurem-B @Choice Scarf
    - Teravolt -
    252 Atk/ 4 SpA/ 252 Speed
    Naive
    - Outrage
    - Fusion Bolt
    - Dragon Claw
    - Ice Beam

The main sweeper of the team. It's also just absolutely amazing in sun. It's main counter, ferrothorn, is either afraid to come in, or is already dead due to xatu. Outrage is its most powerful attack and is actually the most powerful in the game! It 2hkoes scizor, while bullet punch can't hook, and it also 2hkoes heatran with rocks. Fusion bolt always 2hkoes, and also 2hkoes bulky jirachi. Dragon claw is for when I don't want to be locked into outrage, like early game wall breaking, and sleep talk is there to help counter sleep mons, like venusaur, breloom, and amoongus. It also has the benefit of not locking me into outrage, which is a huge plus. The given Evs allow Kyurem-b to survive an unboosted cc from terrakion, focus blast from life orb thunderus-t, secret sword from specs Keldeo, and 2 hydro pumps from specs politoed. And I don't even lose out on much, because my attack is still about equivalent to 252 terrakion. I decided to use scarf Kyurem-b, as one, I just couldn't use Latias effectively, and 2, it still hits super hard, and out speeds more problem pokes, like specslatios. Ice beam was chosen over sleep talk because with xatu, I don't need it, and this way I can lure in things like landorus-t, or I can revenge kill lando-I.

[​IMG]
    Xatu @Rocky Helmet
    - Magic Bounce -
    248 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpD
    Relaxed
    Ivs: 10 speed

- Heat Wave
    - U-turn
    - Roost
    - Toxic

This is one of my favorite sets to use. This thing is the bane of all hazard layers, and lavos really went well with this. With 3 pokemon hating stealth rock, magic bounce is a godsend. It's extremely easy to switch into an opposing ferrothorn, and then hit it with a heat wave, or thunder wave a switch in first. Gyro ball does a pitiful 31-37% to this set, and in return ferrothorn gets damaged. Volt switch from forretress does about 27-32%, while xatu hits back with 76-91%. Amazing. And all that was max SpD/max HP sets. Roost is for obvious healing as I want xatu to stay in to take out key threats and keep rocks off my side. U turn is great for grabbing momentum, and lastly, toxic lets me stall hippowdon and get ttar into ko range.

[​IMG]
    Heatran @Air Balloon
    - Flash Fire -
    4 hp/ 252 SpA/ 252 speed
    Timid
    - Sunny Day
    - Magma Storm
    - Solarbeam
    - HP Ice

This set is officially my favorite set of the month! Not only does it help immensely against sun teams, it also helps beat up on hippowdon. Its super fun to troll poli as well, with sunny day switching in, and then magma trapping the switch out. Magma storm is its strongest attack, and is super fun to spam when it's not needed anymore. Solarbeam helps with getting the 2hko on politoed, hippowdon, and tyranitar.

[Spoiler=Calcs]252SpAtk Flash Fire Heatran (+SAtk) SolarBeam in Sun vs 252HP/252SpDef Leftovers Hippowdon (+SpDef): 60% - 71% (254 - 300 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

252SpAtk Heatran (+SAtk) Magma Storm in Sun vs 252HP/252SpDef Leftovers Hippowdon (+SpDef): 68% - 80% (286 - 337 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

252SpAtk Heatran (+SAtk) SolarBeam in Sun vs 252HP/252SpDef Leftovers Tyranitar (+SpDef): 51% - 60% (208 - 246 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.[/spoiler]
    So with prior damage, I ko them all :) HP ice is there for filler, but helps stop garchomp and landorus and gliscor. I chose it over earth power because druggy already takes care of heatran for me.

[​IMG]
    Ninetales @Leftovers
    - Drought -
    252 hp/ 120 Def/ 136 Speed
    Timid
    - Flamethrower
    - Sunny Day
    - Roar
    - Will-o-Wisp

What's a sun team without ninetales? Not a very good one. Unfortunately ninetales is a terrible pogey and is a must have on this team. Out of 600+ pokemon, Gamefreak gave drought to ninetales. Idiots :/ Anyway, this is ninetales' best set, and it performs well. Sunny day tales is very good at winning the weather war. Sunny day is for those nasty switchins, like politoed or tyranitar, and helps keep my weather on the field. Will-o-Wisp allows me to cripple attackers such as dugtrio, tyranitar, and incoming dragons. 120 def Evs allows me to always survive dugtrio's earthquakes, as well as giving me some nice overall bulk, and 136 speed Evs outpaces haxorus and toxicroak, so I can cripple them with WoW. Roar allows me to phaze out incoming threats, like heatran, and allows me to phaze lum + dd dragons, such as Salamance, or dragonite.

[​IMG]
    Venusaur @Life Orb
    - Chlorophyll -
    76 hp/ 252 SpA/ 180 speed
    Timid
    IVs: 30 Atk/ 30 Def
    - Growth
    - Giga Drain
    - HP Ice
    - Sludge Bomb

This set is fairly self-explanatory, as I'm sure we've all seen sweeper venusaur. Anyway, I use this to sweep late game, after heatran is gone, as at +2 nothing much can really stand in the way. Growth is obvious and is the crux of the set, as getting to +2 is actually fairly easy. Giga drain was a godsend when black and white 2 came out, as it allows venusaur to get most of her health back from the life orb damage. HP fire decimates steels not named heatran. Lastly, sludge bomb provides a nice alternate STAB to use, instead of using a 75% accurate move (sleep powder). I use timid over modest, because I feel the power difference isn't as noticeable at +2 and I like outspeeding scarflatios, as I can ohko them at plus 2.

Things I'm currently trying

Some Logs
    http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou10053160 Successful X-Swish leads to a forfeit
    http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou10054071 a successful predict leads to a ragequit, dont bother after the guy leaves...
    http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou10054952 this was a little tougher, another sun team. no rain teams seen yet :(
    http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou10097565
    http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou10100415
    http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou10102919
    http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou10104590 - straight trolling with xatu

So there's the team. Rate, hate, steal, it's your prerogative. I prefer rate though.​
  2. Teemo

Teemo

One weakness I see is you have 3 weak to Rock, SR and Scarf Terrakion can do a number on this team. I would recommend Donohan over Dugtrio

Donphan@Leftovers
    Nature: Adamant
    EV: 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Speed
    1. Rapid Spin
    2. Ice Shard
    3. Earthquake
    4. Fire fang/Stone edge/Stealth Rock
  3. LittleBigPlanet2

LittleBigPlanet2

Hay man!

I like sun teams, I think that's a job for me!

First of all, the good sun teams have the same structure, xatutrio + tales + chloro + fire + strong offensive mon, and sadly the only way to build a very good sun team is this, or sun stall/sun HO (credit to Neliel Tu Oderschwank <3)

this team seems pretty good, but I think it's not a good idea to use a pokémon that locks itself into a move resisted by steel types, which usually can set up stealth rocks. You gave to kyurem a spread that avoids a rkill and gives u the same power of cbterrakion? why you didn't put a cbterrakion instead of cbkyurem here? xD Or SD protect terrakion, an awesome pokémon coupled with your tran and xatu, if a scizor enters to rkill you, you can check the move and send out your heatran to setup your flame charge. Same thing for breloom, if he joins the party he can risk the xatu with his rocky helmet. Yea, terrakion here can be really a tough guy to deal with. Your choice, sdkion can be troublesome for the opponent, but CBterrakion gives you instant power to take down strong things. Imo cbkion can be more useful here.

Terrakion:
    Show Hide
    Terrakion @ Choice Band
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - Filler (EQ/Xscissor/Quick Attack)
    - Filler (EQ/Xscissor/Quick Attack)

CBkyurem is just a beast, but it's rkillable by a lot of stuff, a well-built team can rkill it easly after a kill, but against a sun team the opponent can just send out a ferrothorn on his outrage and set stealth rocks, breaking your team. I think terrakion can be better, his close combat is strong as outrage and doesn't lock you the move. Now hmm, what do you do against dragons? You don't have any rkiller. A dragon can just enter and destroy everything. Just think about HP Ice > HP Fire on your venusaur, and sleep powder > sludge bomb, to take down annoying pokemons like jirachi.

Now let's see ninetales. You don't need energy ball, lol, with that move you can only do a little damage to politoed, but you have sunny day, so who cares :P. Try hp rock > energy ball/substitute, which allows you to "counter" volcarona. Trust me, that crazy moth of doomsday can be annoying. Roar is usually a better choice, but hp rock allows you to pop heatran's balloon, I know it's a little thing but it can be usefull. And yea, change your defense evs spread to special defense, to take water moves better.

Xatu hmmm, what about toxic > thunder wave? It can be really helpful against Hippowdons and Landoruses (t), and ground types in general.

I'd suggest you a protect set on heatran, or a balloon one with magma storm + sunny day + solar beam to win easly the weather wars, but it's also good this way, I like flame charge tran, sometimes it can surprise the opponent and sweep. I used it even into a hail team lol, and it worked well.

tl; dr

Show Hide
    just read the blue words -____

Luvdisc'd, gl with the team =)!

ps:
    Show Hide
    don't leave dugtrio for any reason, without it the sun will work bad and you'll lose against every heatran/ttar/terrakion and a lot of creepy stuff. there's no reason to use a sun xatu team without dugtrio, lol
  4. MCBarrett

MCBarrett i love it when you call me big hoppa

Hey, minime, I actually posted a team with the exact same pokes on it a couple months ago so you must know what you're doing lol. Anyways though it would be easy for me to help so onto the rate!

First of all, this team has a huge weakness to specs latios. Other than heatran everything else gets destroyed. Therefore, I would suggest using Mamoswine over Dugtrio. I implemented this change and it helped tremendously with the latios weakness plus mamoswine still has access to stealth rock and strong ground type stab.

Next, on you kyurem-b you could run a scarf to outspeed more threats and still have a ton of power but that's up to you really. I would definitely change sleep talk to ice beam though, no matter which set you are going to run. You don't really need to worry about sleep inducers at all with xatu on your team plus ice beam provides excellent coverage and is still powerful enough to ohko gliscor, landorus and put a great dent into grass mons, even with a negative nature so you don't need to change your spread.

On your xatu I would recommend using toxic over thunder wave. I find it much more useful to allow xatu to stall out things like hippo, deoxys-d the blobs and jellicent with toxic than to thunder wave a few threats that are outsped by venusaur anyways.

My last suggestion is just to try a different set on heatran. I enjoyed using the trapping set with magma storm and sunny day to help keep your sun up. It also helps take out bulky waters (namely politoed) by surprise, and magma storm under the sun deals insane damage. It has a chance to ohko salamence at 100% hp!

Many of these changes were suggested to me and i found them all very useful so you should definitely try them out. I'll post the sets below. Hope they help and good luck with the team!

Show Hide
    Mamoswine @ life orb
    Adamant nature
    252 att/ 4 hp/ 252 speed
    Stealth rock
    Ice shard
    Icicle crash
    Earthquake

Heatran @ life orb/air balloon
    Timid nature
    252 speed/ 252 sp att/ 4 hp
    Magma storm
    Solarbeam
    Earth power/ hp ice
    Sunny day
  5. Amaura

Amaura formerly TCR

thanks for the rate man! Now, right now, I'm trying out Latias, to help deal with a lot of threats, such as non scarved garchomp, landorus-I, politoed, and a slew of other random earthquake users, as I have a hard team with ground types in general. So far it's doing well, so I don't think I'll go with cbterra, even though I agree, it is devastating.

I will definitely try out HP ice! HP fire was only put there for ferrothorn, who walls it otherwise, but between xatu, heatran, and ninetales, I don't think it will be a problem. Sadly, i dont think I'll do sleep powder, as I always get fucked over by its accuracy, allowing things like heatran and other fire types a free hit.

yeah, lol that was mostly filler. Roar is working for me right now, to stop lum dd dragons, but I will definitely try out HP rock, as sub roost volcs can be really annoying, and can stall heatran to infinite.

at first, I was really against toxic, as thunder wave has been doing great for me, but I will definitely try out toxic, as it'd be nice to do something other than u-turn out.

I really like the flame charge set, but i will try out the magma trapper set. It looks fun, and its on my list of things to try as well :)

Thanks! I've never gotten a luvdisc before, I don't think :) thanks for the rate as well!

dude, I'm so sorry :( I swear I didn't just take your team.

hmm, I generally just try and play around it, but if worse comes to worse, venusaur out speeds it with timid. Dugtrio has just been great in taking out pokes for a venu sweep, and if I take him out, It leaves me weaker to sand and without a good revenge killer. Duggy is also my main v-create switch in, as otherwise victini destroys me. I switch in, it loses speed and def, and I earthquake it. I don't think I will run Mamo, sorry.

hmm, that's a good idea! 380 ish attack is nothing to laugh about, and it would be good to outspeed a lot of dragons. Ill try it! Ice beam is probably also a yes

already covered :)

I think I'll end up liking that set as well. Scarf toed might be a bitch though

Thanks for the rates guys!
  6. MCBarrett

MCBarrett i love it when you call me big hoppa

Hey no problem, there aren't many options for sun at the moment so there are bound to be similar teams, we had no identical sets either so I know you didn't steal it.

Anyways, it is possible to play around latios but unboosted sludge bomb only does around 50% so you're going to have to wear it down before taking it out with venusaur. Plus offensive heatran takes close to 40% from specs Draco meteor. But putting a scarf on kyurem-b will help you deal with non-scarf sets too. And just something I noticed, you only need 180 speed Ev's with timid to outspeed scarf latios with venusaur so I would put the remaining Ev's into hp for a little extra bulk
  7. Amaura

Amaura formerly TCR

Bump, op updated with all updated with all changes. Nice catch on the ev spread MCBarrett

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)