Most frustrating pokemon moments!

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Now, I know that blob made a thread about most emotional pokemon moments, but most of those are for joy. This thread are for those moments in pokemon where you either feel like crying, or punching your friend/random NPC in the face (prepare for Nuzlocke stories). (If the OI mods think the threads are too similar they can always merge them anyway)

I suppose I should get us going.

I was finally going to beat Lucian in diamond! I had my final pokemon left (can't remember what it was), but all I had to do was heal, then strike a finishing blow the next turn. Making it seem effortless, I selected an item and.. threw it at my opponent? I was completely devastated, knowing the end was near I picked a pokeball instead of a max potion! His Bronzong went and KO'd my final pokemon as he had done many times before, and as for what I did afterwards? I switched off the game and didn't play it for 6 months. When I did play it again, I spent a few weeks trying to take down Lucian, but I never got as far as I did in that one battle so I restarted the game in a fully-psychic oriented team and actually beat it with said team! :D

Found all the games pretty easy. Ghetsis in BW is the only hard one I really remember. Oh and the elite 4 in Red. The psychic twins in Emerald were a pain too now that I think about it.

There is nothing worse then getting haxed out by confusion or paralysis. It is really frustrating to think you can beat out the RGN system only to have it slap you in the face.

I agree with Gokuzbu for the most part, but I did find the E4 in pokemon red to be difficult without having a lot of revives. (However, at this point in my life, I didn't know about IVs and EVs.)

Battle subway, the opponent had a Blaziken and Cradily left both with barely a sliver of health and I still had a Rotom-W, Garchomp, and Choice Specs Infernape left. the turn I got them both down, they knocked out Rotom so I figured it won't take much for Garchomp and Infernape to finish them off. Well..The Cradily's quick claw activated, Blaziken endured, Cradily managed to take out Garchomp and Infernape missed his attack. The very next turn the quick claw activated yet again and Cradily took out my Infernape with a rock slide..

I was in Black Tower competing against Benga. I had my Cloyster to beat his team (since he can Icicle Spear Latios and Garchomp and Rock Blast Volcarona to death with ease, but when it came down to Volcarona I missed Rock Blast twice, which made Volcarona set up 2 Quiver Dances. Luckily my other members were able to beat it.

In past battle towers, I remember a few times where I lost mainly because the opponent had Double Team/Minimize.

I'd say trying to beat Crasher Wake. His Floatzel was a monster. My team was a Torterra, Drifblim, and Pachirisu, and for the first time, I straight banked on Pachirisu beating something. He got parahax, and I was good to go!

Diatom

An enigma
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was battling Fantina in Platinum on a Nuzlocke run once, and I beat her first two Pokémon with no problems. Then she sent out her Mismagius, which promptly destroyed my Luxio and Monferno. All while I had a Staravia in my party. I was so frustrated that I forgot to send him out that I ended up ragequitting the Nuzlocke.

Oh, I have a few of these.

One I remember quite well is trying to get a Khangaskan in Red version in order to complete my Pearl Pokedex. It took DAYS and tbh I don't actually remember if I ever caught the bastard or ended up trading for one. All I remember is the constant, grinding frustration.

More recently, my best run in the Battle Subway was brought to an abrupt stop by luck so bad it made me balk. It was against one of those OHKO attack users, which is scary and all but nothing I couldn't handle... Unless they hit twice in a row with their OHKO moves and then my last Pokemon gets frozen by fucking Blizzard. Seriously, what are the goddamn chances?

I already mentioned the time I accidentally deleted my Pokemon Red file as a kid in the other thread, so I'll just quickly mention it and leave it there.

Then there were all the times I'd lose my Pokemon games. The first time was my Gold version, couldn't find it anywhere and it ended up turning up in the bottom of my closet.

The next times though I wasn't so lucky. I was looking for my Yellow and Red versions to do Scrambles on, and I find that I can't find them. I also can't find my Gold version, though I suspect that wouldn't work anymore anyway. I STILL haven't found them. I think I must have lent them to friends at some point and just never gotten them back. Just thinking about it still riles me up.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Pokémon Pearl: It was a long, boring evening without much to do. I grinded for quite some time before heading through Mt. Coronet, going to Snowpoint to take on its Gym. As I had spent all that time grinding, beating Candice was no problem. I then set off to Mt. Coronet to stop Team Galactic.

On my way up into the wilderness, I took my time. I took care to beat every Galactic Grunt, explored what I could of Mt. Coronet, both the caves inside and the exterior near the top. It took me a couple of hours to see everything and reach the top.

Then I beat Cyrus. Awed, I walked up to Palkia to battle. That awesome music. That majestic sprite. I had plenty of Ultra Balls ready. I just needed to weaken Palkia first. My Garchomp, head of my team, seemed to fit perfectly for the task.

Garchomp used Dragon Claw!
It's a critical hit!
Palkia fainted!

Frustrated, I turned my DS off. Upon restarting, I found out that I had not saved. I was back at the grinding grass again, way before I set out to Snowpoint. My Pokémon were 13 levels lower than they had been after the Cyrus battle. Three and a half hours down the loo.

In SoulSilver, I also had a nasty experience at the Battle Factory. I was at the 48th battle, the one before the Factory Head, and my team consisted of Dragonite, Garchomp and Empoleon. I had plown my way through the opposing team, took her down to her last Pokémon, when I ran into this fellow:
Cradily@something (leftovers?)
- Double Team
- Ingrain
- Toxic
- Stockpile

It used those moves in that order. Garchomp never got off a single hit, but ended up poisoned and eventually fainted. My big mistake was switching into Dragonite next. It too got poisoned, and didn't land a single move. Frustrated, I sent in Empoleon, having learned the opponent's set and knowing it couldn't harm me.

I hit it a few times, doing squat all to damage it thanks to those massive boosted Defenses and Ingrain. Two of my ~50 attacks ever critted. Signal Beam brought its HP down to red twice, the second right after Cradily had recovered fully from the first.

Eventually, I was outstalled and it was down to Struggle for both of us. Empoleon went down, but Dragonite still lived with plenty of PP. Too bad Cradily was at +6 evasion, so I never hit. Its HP bar was barely visible, brought down to its last pixel after Strugge recoil when Dragonite succumbed to poison.

Now I understand why Smogon has banned evasion-raising moves.

Reactions: JES
I was battling evice in colisseum after surviving the orre version of the elite 4, successfully snagging every shadow pokemon, except for nascours metagross, we were down to the final fight between me and the cipher head but tyranitar just did not want to get captured, my teammates were dying left and right, but I finally managed to capture it, evice was defeated the world had been saved but when ho-oh came down during the cutscene my screen went black "the game disc could not be read"

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I also remember once in Pokémon Colosseum. I had fought my way through Mt Battle in Collosseum Mode, and had got all the way to battle 97. I had ~40 continues left, and felt that this was going my way.

Problem with that Mt. Battle Challenge was: You could not exit. The only time you could exit the challenge was after you had won a match. If you lost or turned off the GameCube mid-battle, your entire progress was deleted. Forfeiting and quitting the match was not an option.

So one late evening, I was stuck against team 97. Then I had to turn off my game, as I had to go to bed and the TV was in my room. My parents didn't allow me to sleep with it on. Several weeks of progress down the drain. I tried to find a way to quit, but no. All progress was deleted and I had to start over again.

In SoulSilver, I also had a nasty experience at the Battle Factory. I was at the 48th battle, the one before the Factory Head, and my team consisted of Dragonite, Garchomp and Empoleon. I had plown my way through the opposing team, took her down to her last Pokémon, when I ran into this fellow:
Cradily@something (leftovers?)
- Double Team
- Ingrain
- Toxic
- Stockpile

It used those moves in that order. Garchomp never got off a single hit, but ended up poisoned and eventually fainted. My big mistake was switching into Dragonite next. It too got poisoned, and didn't land a single move. Frustrated, I sent in Empoleon, having learned the opponent's set and knowing it couldn't harm me.

I hit it a few times, doing squat all to damage it thanks to those massive boosted Defenses and Ingrain. Two of my ~50 attacks ever critted. Signal Beam brought its HP down to red twice, the second right after Cradily had recovered fully from the first.

Eventually, I was outstalled and it was down to Struggle for both of us. Empoleon went down, but Dragonite still lived with plenty of PP. Too bad Cradily was at +6 evasion, so I never hit. Its HP bar was barely visible, brought down to its last pixel after Strugge recoil when Dragonite succumbed to poison.

Now I understand why Smogon has banned evasion-raising moves.
This story reminds me of Wallace battle in my emerald mono-grass run. I sent my Cradily against his tentacruel, I used ingrain thinking that Cradily would handle the rest of Wallace's team easily knowing that I wouldn't be able to switch out.
Except I forgot one detail : his Ludicolo has double team ! After tons of ancientpower missing, tons of ether and elixir used (because ancientpower only has 8 PP :/), I was finally able to kill that ludicolo, it took so much time and I would have kill it easily with Cacturne because Faint Attack can't miss.
Wallace was a lot stronger than I thought despite having a type disadvantage against me but after all, only 2 out of 6 pokemon are actually weak to grass.

Another frustrating moment was also against a champion : Cynthia from my Platinum mono-flying team (I like mono teams :p). My Gyarados was my last pokemon at low health but with 1 dragon dance, and Cynthia has only Roserade left. I just needed to hit ice fang to kill Roserade but no I missed and I lost. Why does her Garchomp always hit its 75% accurate dragon rush while I keep missing my 95% accurate ice fang ??
This move ice fang really frustrated me during this run because when my opponent used it, it hits my flying types very hard and when I tried to use it, it freaking misses all the time :(.

Who is the troll in Game Freak who decided to make 95% accurate move ??? It's so annoying, you think they won't miss because 95% is a lot but it's still annoying when you miss them !

Accidentally selecting Rage on my overleveled Charizard against Blue's Pidgeotto in the Pokémon Tower, and Pidgeotto using Sand Attack. All my attacks then missed, and I think it's because of a "feature" in Generation I:

If Rage misses during the turn it is selected, its secondary effects will not activate. If Rage misses due to an accuracy or evasion check when its decision-removing effect is active, the accuracy of Rage will subsequently become 0.4%. The duration of Rage will be paused but not disrupted by anything, including Sleep, Freeze, partial trapping, flinching, or if the user hurts itself due to Confusion.
(Bulbapedia)

In hindsight, I thought I was just unlucky with the misses, so I kept attacking. I was kind of forced to as well, because the last time I had saved was before Rock Tunnel, although in hindsight, after around 40 turns or so, it probably would have been quicker...

Eventually, I did restart the game, although I don't remember at what point this happened.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Playing silver version when I decide to leave vermilion for saffron. I'm traveling north through route 6 and take a shortcut through the grass. Suddenly a shiny Oddish appears. However, my whole party is way overlevelled to weaken the thing, and all I have is pokeballs, and the thing has poisonpowder. 9 year old me is forced to watch as this orange blob kills my whole party through poison and all my pokeballs fail. First horribly frustrating Pokemon moment

I hate that moment when you get so angry at the game because of various hax factors (flinch, crit, paralysis) that you decide to turn it off. Then you realize that the last time you saved the game was like an hour before.

*RAGE ALERT!*

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I hate that moment when you get so angry at the game because of various hax factors (flinch, crit, paralysis)
Yup. Just today I missed a Rollout four times in succession, which makes for a probability of 1/10 000. I was the most maddest.

I played Crystal version for over 200 hours, never really seeing anything special, but then my friend Michael played Silver for literally about 12 and caught 3 shinies (yes, including Red Gyarados). One of them happened to be one of my favorite Pokemon at the time: Zubat. I think I almost threw my game away when that happened.

It once took me 2 hours to catch Regice on my Sapphire version. Hundreds upon hundreds of Pokeballs and quite a few resets. I still don't know why I wasted all that time. Similar situation with the Moltres in Fire Red. Didn't take quite so long, but I had fewer Pokeballs and weaker Pokemon, so I had to reset more often and make sure it didn't kill my team.

Another Michael story, he's the only person I've ever known to legitimately get PKRS in his game, Ruby version. Going back to his insane luck with shiny Pokemon, he also got a shiny Tyrogue in Crystal (from the mystery egg, I believe), which he then used the cloning glitch on to get shiny versions of all three of its evolutions. Found a shiny Psyduck on Diamond, too. Seriously, it's like they just come out of his ass.

It once took me 2 hours to catch Regice on my Sapphire version. Hundreds upon hundreds of Pokeballs and quite a few resets. I still don't know why I wasted all that time. Similar situation with the Moltres in Fire Red. Didn't take quite so long, but I had fewer Pokeballs and weaker Pokemon, so I had to reset more often and make sure it didn't kill my team.
I also had a hell of a time trying to catch a Regi, specifically Regirock. This was on my Sapphire, the old file I had for years before finally restarting it to do my Sapphire Scramble. I didn't do it until a long time after I had beaten the game (I think it might've been part of my effort to complete my Pearl Pokedex), and at this point being well used to catching legendaries I was well prepared.

I had something like 50 Ultra Balls, along with a number of other Pokeballs I still had laying around from my first playthrough of the game. I had a sleep inducing Pokemon and a solid team to face it.

None of it mattered. The motherfucker just would not stay in its goddamn Pokeball. It struggled to death TWICE. I did eventually catch it, but I'm pretty sure that I took a damn long break after those first couple attempts.

Another Michael story, he's the only person I've ever known to legitimately get PKRS in his game, Ruby version. Going back to his insane luck with shiny Pokemon, he also got a shiny Tyrogue in Crystal (from the mystery egg, I believe), which he then used the cloning glitch on to get shiny versions of all three of its evolutions. Found a shiny Psyduck on Diamond, too. Seriously, it's like they just come out of his ass.
I have read somewhere, I don't know if it's true, which said that mystery egg from Crystal has a 14% shiny ratio. In fact, about 10 times I played Crystal, once, I hatched a Pichu shiny from that egg.

About myself, it's funny. Although I have the original games, I used to play Ruby Version few times with Emulators in PC for things like, creating legal hacks for playing in Battle Tower, legendaries difficult to obtain... and the last time, for playing a Nuzlocke, because I didn't want to delete my files on my original games.

In these emulators files, I found 2 shinies, Duskull and Aron, the same number of shinies that I found in RSE original games...

Also, when I was playing GSC Silver, I found a Hoothoot shiny on the wild, but when I was going to throw a PokeBall... the box was full..., at least I found a Noctowl shiny afterwards and catched it. Thankfully Game Freak in the following games changed it and when a box is full and catch a pokemon, it automatically switches to the next non-full box.

In FireRed, when I hadn't known yet the cloning glitch in Emerald, when I was teaching one-obtainable TM to a pokemon for trying it, I tried to battle against a random pokemon at grass to try that TM moves, and it was a Geodude shiny.... I turned off the GBA because they were useful TM....

I remember trying for weeks to catch the event Registeel in Platinum. He just wouldn't go down, I still haven't caught it lol.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
My worst moment was when I was playing Diamond with my friend, so he was playing through at this time. We had beaten the last gym and all the Team Galactic stuff and my friend had just passed Victory Road. So as he was handing the game to me so I could battle the Elite 4, his finger hits the power button (this was on the original DS) and 5-6 hrs of our time just disappeared. I was so sad after that... It was horrible.

Regarding PKRS, I got lucky and obtained it in Platinum on my rerun through it. I couldn't believe it when I saw it, moreso because I only caught ~9 wild pokes throughout the main storyline.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)