Most frustrating pokemon moments!

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I was grinding and a Shiny Graveler showed up.

I whittled it down to a sliver of heath, and the turn before I was going to start chucking Dusk Balls it used Selfdestruct.

;-;

At least I get Pokerus on something every game I play. That luck sorta makes up for it.

I had just beaten the E4 in HeartGold and had two incredibly frustrating moments:

- First, against Bruno. He starts with Hitmontop as usual and I lead with Slowbro. Psychic + Surf = bye, bye Bruno's team. I have my Slowbro equipped with a Quick Claw to speed battles up (if I'm lucky).
First turn:
Hitmontop uses Dig, Slowbro uses Psychic. Miss.
Second turn:
Quick Claw activates and Slowbro uses Psychic before Hitmontop has resurfaced... Miss again.
Third turn:
Turn #1 all over again
Fourth turn:
Turn #2 all over again

Continue for 2 more turns before Psychic finally makes contact on the seventh turn. I've never seen Quick Claw activate so many times in a single battle before, let alone on-off like that.

- Second, facing off against Lance I have a pretty good start. Ampharos takes out Gyarados, and Slowbro OHKO's all 3 Dragonite's one after another with Blizzard. Outcomes Aerodactyl, so I switch in Poliwrath (probably could have just handled Aerodactyl + Charizard easily with Slowbro, but I wanted Poliwrath to get some shine). Rock Slide does minimal damage, and Poliwrath strikes with Waterfall which reduces Aerodactyl down to a sliver of HP, and Poliwrath takes a Aerial Ace (leaving it with just a few HP remaining as well). Lance uses a Full Restore as I Super Potion. Again, Aerodactyl barely survives and Lance uses Full Restore, and then again... And then again. Finally it died.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Man people, you're all talking about shinies getting away, I've still never seen one! ;_;

And Wishy, that quick claw story was just hilarious! :D

My Magnezone has only hit with Thunder 2 times since I taught it a few days on my White 2. I think I might cry.

Also, more props to Wishy's story. That was great.

Back when I was playing Silver, I caught a shiny Scyther in the Bug Catching Contest. I took second.
Later, I restarted the game just for the hell of it (no intention of saving over my file), when the FIRST Pokemon I encountered (before the first rival battle) was a shiny Sentret.

Edit: Three days ago, I was replaying Black 2, and used up all ten of my Great Balls and lost half my team trying to catch... a freaking Buneary. Which then used Endure when I tried to kill it in a rage after wasting all my Great Balls.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Oh, you don't know how to catch Pokemon?
LOL

Anyway, just wanted to add that I had to go through the plasma frigate again (visit after 8th badge). Every single f***ing garbodor on there knows AND USES toxic: Every. Effing. Fight. I flew back to castelia just to get some more casteliacones after my supply of 15 or so ran out from having to heal so many toxics!

Bull of Heaven

The first Pokemon I ever got to level 100 was an Alakazam in Silver. I still remember how proud I was that it could solo Red. At some point my brother borrowed it to help him beat some opponent (which he had done at least once before), then forgot he had it and restarted his game.

I used an Alakazam in my first SoulSilver run in its memory, but I chose not to replicate the Psychic/Fire Punch/Recover/Flash moveset. I also kind of remember my surprise at how much damage an Abra could do with a Fire Punch TM back in the day.

Edit: Also finding a shiny Donphan in Silver, only to discover that my box was full.

LOL

Anyway, just wanted to add that I had to go through the plasma frigate again (visit after 8th badge). Every single f***ing garbodor on there knows AND USES toxic: Every. Effing. Fight. I flew back to castelia just to get some more casteliacones after my supply of 15 or so ran out from having to heal so many toxics!
Bro, do you even Magnemite?

I've never had the misfortune of an uncatcheable shiny and I've yet to make a serious effort at the battle facilities. Missing my frame when RNGing has hacked me off; recently in Pearl I decided to do most of the advancement by cycling, it takes longer but the Poketch counts the steps so you can't lose count.

So the most frustrating moment...that would be way back when I was a kid and playing Red for the first time, I couldn't get past the Snorlax. I thought you had to push it out the way, it's a big heavy Pokemon and I knew there was a Strength HM, so I searched EVERYWHERE over and over looking for it. Never did it occur to me to wake Snorlax up and in the end I quit the playthrough.

I was on vacation at the time, so likewise, I was relaxed and lazy.
The only tech thing i brought on that trip was my trusty Dsi, and a copy of White 2.
I saved right before you get to Cobalion, which has a catch rate of 3. I spent tons and tons of Quick Balls and Ultra Balls to capture that piece of shit, and after around 40 minutes filled of agony and reset buttons, I caught it. I then proceeded with the game, catching Virizion and Terrakion, which was around 2 hours.

Later on, my little cousin took my ds while it was charging (it was on btw) and changed the game to Littlest Petshop, which she brought with her on the vacation. She didn't use her ds because "I like the color black :D"

I didn't save. 3 hours down the drain.

Magnemite makes BW2 a cakewalk. But that's neither hear nor there.

If we're really looking for frustration, I think anything related to beating Pokemon Stadium should be high on the list.

The original Red...switch Charmeleon in, at which point my enemy's Oddish uses Stun Spore...alright, no prob. Not THAT bad. Well...things happen like this...Absorb, fully paralyzed, absorb, fully paralyzed, absorb, fully paralyzed. My Charmeleon was TEN LEVELS HIGHER AND GOT PARAHAXED TO DEATH BY AN ODDISH. A. FREAKING. ODDISH. Needless to say, I hate those stupid little things. Unless they're shiny. Then I catch them and name them Goku :D

Oh, that reminds me of another incident that occurred before in RBY that I've related before. NPC trainer sends out a Clefairy, I paralyze it, it uses Metronome which calls Dig, then it's fully paralyzed on the second turn of Dig. Thanks to a glitch this means I'm now facing an invincible Clefairy; it can attack me with impunity while I can do nothing because it's still underground. Since it doesn't actually know Dig it's not likely to use it again (which would get things back to normal.)

I didn't want to lose and lose half my cash, and I hadn't saved for a while so I didn't want to reset either. I thought I could stall it out until it Struggled, though now I've a feeling NPC Pokemon have unlimited PP in RBY so that could never work.

In the end Metronome called Dig again, and finally I could KO the Clefairy. That remains to date my longest duration in-game battle, I think it took the best part of an hour.

Whitney anyone?
I wonder why this isn't the first comment of the thread. It's a classic. That little girl ruined childhoods.

In my opinion, battling Palace Maven Spenser was really frustrating. Is there anything worse than his Bright Powder Crobat spamming Double Team or his Lapras hitting with Horn Drill? What about... "Your Pokémon appears incapable of using its power".

Oh, I just remembered another one. That challenge against the maids of the Pokémon Mansion in Platinum, where you had to KO their Pokémon in a exact number of turns. Everything is OK until Clefairy uses Endure and messes up your beautiful plan.

This actually happened yesterday(on my birthday nonetheless). I was playing the Battle Arena in Emerald and was at a particularly high streak(The battle I lost at was #52), and I was actually not doing too bad, I wasn't even that nervous!

After Battle 50 and 51, I fought against a trainer who first sent out a Gyarados. Seeing as my team was Gengar/Salamence/Tyranitar, I was a bit concerned, but never-the-less, Gengar OHKO'd Gyarados with Thunderbolt. Feeling a bit more confident with myself, the trainer sends out a Dewgong. My first thought was "Eh, thunderbolt it."

And then it happened.

That Dewgong's quick claw had activated, and it had used Sheer Cold on me. Bam, Gengar was done. Starting to feel nervous, out went Salamence who was going to try to hit it hard with Brick Break. Again, it's quick claw activates and sends a crit Ice Beam my way. Out goes Salamence. Now extremely nervous, I sent out Tyranitar, who was going to try to Rock Slide it. Sure enough, Sheer Cold hit me one last time, ending my streak.

I have never felt so mad in all my years of playing Pokemon. I was almost ready to throw my Gameboy at the wall before I put it down on my bed and instead hit my table extremely hard with my fist. I've had bad moments playing Pokemon, but this, this took the cake.

I'd say something frustrating, looking back, was that they didn't really explain shinies in Sapphire. At least they had references to them in Gold/Silver/Crystal/Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/Black/White/Black 2/White 2, but none of the Gen 3 games made a mention of them. NONE OF THEM.

Long story short, I ran into a shiny Skarmory and decided that there was something wrong with my game, so I ran. All because I had no idea what a shiny was.

I'd say something frustrating, looking back, was that they didn't really explain shinies in Sapphire. At least they had references to them in Gold/Silver/Crystal/Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/Black/White/Black 2/White 2, but none of the Gen 3 games made a mention of them. NONE OF THEM.

Long story short, I ran into a shiny Skarmory and decided that there was something wrong with my game, so I ran. All because I had no idea what a shiny was.
My brother did the same thing with a Shiny Tropius on Sapphire- he thought it was a glitch and ran!

I've come across claims that stuff like move accuracy and hax item chances are actually biased against the player in the Battle facilities, ie the computer outright cheats. No idea if it's true or not.

Reactions: JES
That old lady that wants to keep you at her house........

You keep pressing the "A" button rapidly and wind up in a cycle of healing ;_;
I once spent 5 minutes there trying to leave....

I've come across claims that stuff like move accuracy and hax item chances are actually biased against the player in the Battle facilities, ie the computer outright cheats. No idea if it's true or not.
This wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to be honest. I also think it has something to do with Emerald's broken/predictable RNG, but I don't know if that's true.

Reactions: JES

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)