Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

Hello again:

I read some guides on new order of breeding (as linked above) and had a question about EGG RNG in US/UM. I don't have PCCalc and CFW. Once I use the 8-egg method to determine my 4 egg seeds, am I clear to deposit my parents in the daycare and begin accepting and rejecting eggs in accordance with the program's direction? I'm assuming I just enter the desired IV's/Nature/Gender/Ability etc, find the desired frame, set the desired frame as the target frame, and then select shortest path?

EDIT: also want to give a big thanks to the people who develop these RNG tools and the people that come here and answer questions. I would've never imagined I'd be able to get flawless mons with such comparative ease like we do now.

Last edited:
Is it me or dolphin 5.0 and the other latest builds are always putting the game on pause when i move my mouse?XD It's unbearable, if anyone had a solution I gladly appreciate it

When doing Gen7 Egg RNG, does Ditto function as the Male when breeding with a genderless pokemon? EX: I am breeding Rotom and Ditto, do I check the "Male" box next to the "Is Ditto.."?

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
When doing Gen7 Egg RNG, does Ditto function as the Male when breeding with a genderless pokemon? EX: I am breeding Rotom and Ditto, do I check the "Male" box next to the "Is Ditto.."?
In the case of genderless Pokémon Ditto will always play the role of the female breeding parent.
I don't know which RNG program you're using, but I'm using Quandra's Pokemon SunMoon RNG Tool and the program always automatically corrects you if I accidentally check the "Ditto" box for the male breeding parent and hit the "Search" button:

Last edited:
Doing Gen7 Egg RNG atm and I ran into a strange problem. I'm getting the correct IV and Hidden power spreads on my Eggs but NOT the correct gender or ability? I believe I might have made a mistake earlier and not updated the seeds or something. Is there any way I can fix this?

pilica12

Buriallusion: Phantomic Killer in Night Mist
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Doing Gen7 Egg RNG atm and I ran into a strange problem. I'm getting the correct IV and Hidden power spreads on my Eggs but NOT the correct gender or ability? I believe I might have made a mistake earlier and not updated the seeds or something. Is there any way I can fix this?
If you're getting the correct IV and HP spreads, likely your seed is still correct. It is more likely you've entered something else wrong. Perhaps the gender ratio might be wrong, or you might have entered the wrong parent ability? Check these first; if the IVs and HP were wrong, then it would be more likely for there to be an error, but the fact that they are correct would suggest that your seed is correct.

A quick question to Dolphin users on the GC Pokemon games. Is it even possible to have multiple saves for the exact same playthrough on the same USA raw file? For example, I want to snag a shadowmon for multiple natures by restoring from a previous save state before encountering it and then saving over my file again for another nature and continuing from there. The save protection is extremely annoying.

EDIT: NVM I figured it out.

Last edited:
When setting up a profile on RNG Reporter for 5th gen games, what is that "Held Buttons" thing in the right corner thing in the DS Parameter Finder window? What do I need to choose there? Also, I've read that when you've synched your DS clock with a real one and all that and then want to catch a pokemon immediately after loading the game, you need to wait til the star crashes after the Gamefreak logo before you start mashing the A button. Is that correct? Do you need to also do that when you're actually trying to hit your Seed?

Any reply is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
When setting up a profile on RNG Reporter for 5th gen games, what is that "Held Buttons" thing in the right corner thing in the DS Parameter Finder window? What do I need to choose there? Also, I've read that when you've synched your DS clock with a real one and all that and then want to catch a pokemon immediately after loading the game, you need to wait til the star crashes after the Gamefreak logo before you start mashing the A button. Is that correct? Do you need to also do that when you're actually trying to hit your Seed?

Any reply is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
5th gen questions belong in this thread for future reference, but to answer your question first some context: Held buttons is referring to keypresses. By using them, you can increase the number of possible seeds you can find, since some seeds require a button to be held down when you boot the game in order to hit it.. To use a keypress, hold down the specified button while you boot the game from the DS menu. Most people will say to hold the button until the star crashes, then press A to go through the menus.

So as for your actual questions, "Held Buttons" in the DS Parameter Finder is referring to the buttons you were holding when you booted the game from the DS menu. If you weren't holding anything, leave them set to none. Technically waiting until the star crashes isn't necessary, but it prevents you from accidentally pressing a button and it registering as a keypress by the game, thus making you miss your seed. It's a good habit to develop even when you're trying to hit your seed.

Hope that helps! Welcome to Smogon :)

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
Moving to here because it's not gen 5 related:

Thanks,What do u mean search myself? and just to make sure when u talk to Cynthia thats consider 1 frame right?
He means that unless you get PPRNG so you can calibrate using the other spreads that you first hit unsuccessfully, it's going to be a very very tough RNG (PPRNG will work for method 1 searching so there should be no reason you can't use it - and if for whatever reason you can't, try looking in to something like pokefinder (Google pokefinder GitHub) which is a wip cross platform RNG program).

To the best of my knowledge talking to Cynthia doesn't consume frames but I guess I could be wrong, I have done this specific RNG before.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
My DS does something similar every once in a while, but I've never noticed an issue with it when RNGing. Since it could be a hardware thing, I doubt there's anything you could do. Speculation here, but it's also possible it's just a display lag but the clock is counting correctly. So in reality it's not actually skipping anything...which isn't unheard of with digital clocks (computers, for instance). The delay should definitely be possible to hit.

You may also want to play through a bit so you can practicing RNGing on something easier, just to make sure.

So I just got lucky and encountered a shiny luvdisc in my Ultra Moon. Can I use its stats to find my SID to hatch shiny eggs in USUM? Would really like a shiny Gren!

pilica12

Buriallusion: Phantomic Killer in Night Mist
So I just got lucky and encountered a shiny luvdisc in my Ultra Moon. Can I use its stats to find my SID to hatch shiny eggs in USUM? Would really like a shiny Gren!
It's a tiny bit different in USUM, you don't "need" to worry about your SID, just your TSV (Trainer Shiny Value). You can find information on this here. In that thread, you can also post for a TSV check.

How does the cute charm glitch from Generation 4 work? What do the SID and TID need to be to maximize the shiny chance?

This guide explains the process fairly in-depth. The specific TID/ SID combo you need will depend on which PIDs you are trying to force to be shiny.
Either I'm bad at reading, or the article simply tells me to type PIDs into Pandora's Box and look at the TIDs and SIDs that pop out. Does anyone know the formula for converting a PID into a TID and SID that will make the PID shiny?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Either I'm bad at reading, or the article simply tells me to type PIDs into Pandora's Box and look at the TIDs and SIDs that pop out. Does anyone know the formula for converting a PID into a TID and SID that will make the PID shiny?
As the guide Blueforce linked says, Cute Charm is a bit "bugged" in gen 4 in that it modifies the PID to be 1 of 125 different possibilities. Which one you get is determined by the gender ratio of the target. Those tables in the guide blue linked are all the possible PIDs. Since you know the PID (or at least the few possibilities), you can use the RNGR to search for an ID combo that will make it shiny. The PID and IDs are used to determine whether it's shiny based on this process. You could of course calculate a possible ID combo manually by making up a TID/SID according to this guide, but Pandora's box saves you the effort (and gives you the info you'd need to know to get those IDs).

Practically, to perform the glitch pick a PID out of that table, and insert it into Pandora's box to find a set of IDs. Once you get the IDs, have the proper Cute Charm lead to make all of the Pokemon within the shiny group you chose shiny. Blue's guide also gives an example of what I'm talking about, since I know I'm being a bit vague. To maximize your chances, you'd want to pick a PID out of the first table, as those will work for any female target. Which shiny group you chose is up to you (i.e. whichever set of natures you like best).

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Does anyone know how i can find my SID in HGSS if I already caught red Gyrados or don't have a random shiny caught?
Welcome to Smogon! The easiest method would be to import something with your HGSS game's OT into Gen 6 or 7 and have someone check it for you. It can be any mon, as long as it has your OT. I can do that for you if you'd like. VM/PM me to coordinate (i.e. write a message on my profile, or click on my username > "start a conversation").

I’m trying to hit a very high frame for a Deoxys encounter in Emerald on an emulator. For some reason when my frame counter hits frame 2100000000 it starts to run backwards. Does anyone have any idea what’s happening?

Tolan

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I’m trying to hit a very high frame for a Deoxys encounter in Emerald on an emulator. For some reason when my frame counter hits frame 2100000000 it starts to run backwards. Does anyone have any idea what’s happening?
Are you using a LUA or the built-in counter?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)