Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

Two questions:

1. In attempting to RNG a starter of Platinum (Chimchar), if saving in front of the bag with the Poke Balls, does the frame stay on 1 even after selecting the starter, or does that advance the frame to 2?
2. If attempting to RNG Feebas on the same game, if a Feebas tile is found on a particular day/time, will that tile always have Feebas if the day/time is altered to another date and switched back?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Going for the easy ones, huh? Iirc...
1) Selecting the starter shouldn't mess with the frame
2) Not 100% sure, but I don't think so. It could (and probably will) change. With that said, I came across this post which seems to suggest that changing the date may not always change the tile. Haven't given it too much thought, but practically you'll probably have to find your tile on the day you want to rng.

Could be wrong, but someone will correct me if so :P

Going for the easy ones, huh? Iirc...
1) Selecting the starter shouldn't mess with the frame
2) Not 100% sure, but I don't think so. It could (and probably will) change. With that said, I came across this post which seems to suggest that changing the date may not always change the tile. Haven't given it too much thought, but practically you'll probably have to find your tile on the day you want to rng.

Could be wrong, but someone will correct me if so :P
I RNG'd a 31/31/31/30/31/31 Timid Cyndaquil on HG, so I figured I could try on Platinum *shrug*

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Hello all! I'm trying to RNG the odd egg in Crystal VC version, vba 23.6. I use the gsc lua bots master, i chose the gift bot but no luck in an entire night... Any help?

Is it possible to RNG the eggs given by Primo in HG/SS? I didn't see it under the Method 1 Pokemon list in the Gen 4 guide, but I assume it's the same idea as the Togepi egg?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Sorry about the double post, can Chatot be used to advance the frame in Lance's room in HG/SS in order to RNG the roamers?
Yup. As long as you can view their summaries you can advance the frame. From our guide:

HGSS

All HGSS roamers are generated by Method 1 and have a starting frame of 1. It is recommended to release all roamers first. To get your dream roamer you need to KO the roamer you want to get, and leave the other two alive.

Then you need to head to the Elite 4 and save one step before entering the battle with Lance. At this point you will need to hit your seed (verify it using the two roamers that are still alive, as you cannot call anybody here) and advance using Chatot or the radio.

Hey I could really use some help if anyone’s still checking in on this thread

I’ve RNG’d my TID/SID in retail Platinum, 61244 and 39440, respectively, and am trying to RNG a Shiny starter (Chimchar)

I have the TID/SID info I need, I just need to know what to do next, as in how to use the information I have, the TID I secured, to get that Shiny starter

Questions I have outside of the “what do I do now” one are things like:

“Am I safe to leave the house and save in front of the briefcase, or does that screw up my ability to know my current seed/RNG the starter?”

or “what main things should I know, different from the usually-emulator guides, to try to successfully achieve this RNG on a retail copy?”

Any help will be very appreciated, thanks

edit: Also: I am willing and capable of replicating/testing desired results on emu prior to attempting replicating those results on retail, if that helps, or helps anyone trying to help me

Last edited by a moderator:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Welcome to Smogon! The starters are Method 1, so any guides you find on that subject would also apply here: Ours for instance (note you can filter the steps for DPP using the dropdown in the top right corner). In a nutshell, now you have to search for a Method 1 seed in the Time Finder for your desired spread, then set the date/time for that seed and try to hit its delay, much like when your RNG'd your IDs. Then in the game advance the frame and collect your starter.

You'll want to save directly in front of the case where you pick up your starter. Tbh, I forget exactly when the stats are fixed, but somebody may chime in if they recall (our guide mentions that the sprite will be shiny when you look at the pokeball if you did everything correctly, so maybe it's when you interact with the case...). Either way, it's going to be a very tough project on retail since there is no good way to verify your seed or to advance the frame. You'll have to rely on the WNPCs to advance the frame for you, hoping along the way you actually hit your seed. Doable, but be prepared for it to take a while.

Your alternatives to toughing it out are to do it all on an emulator (which would be considerably easier since you can see your seed/frame) or--if all you are after is a shiny chimchar and only want to use a cart--to breed it later on.

If you have any more questions on this, feel free to continue to post here. It might be old, but the thread is still looked at ;)

P.S. Please remember to use your post's edit button to add on new content rather than double posting.

Welcome to Smogon! The starters are Method 1, so any guides you find on that subject would also apply here: Ours for instance (note you can filter the steps for DPP using the dropdown in the top right corner). In a nutshell, now you have to search for a Method 1 seed in the Time Finder for your desired spread, then set the date/time for that seed and try to hit its delay, much like when your RNG'd your IDs. Then in the game advance the frame and collect your starter.

You'll want to save directly in front of the case where you pick up your starter. Tbh, I forget exactly when the stats are fixed, but somebody may chime in if they recall (our guide mentions that the sprite will be shiny when you look at the pokeball if you did everything correctly, so maybe it's when you interact with the case...). Either way, it's going to be a very tough project on retail since there is no good way to verify your seed or to advance the frame. You'll have to rely on the WNPCs to advance the frame for you, hoping along the way you actually hit your seed. Doable, but be prepared for it to take a while.

Your alternatives to toughing it out are to do it all on an emulator (which would be considerably easier since you can see your seed/frame) or--if all you are after is a shiny chimchar and only want to use a cart--to breed it later on.

If you have any more questions on this, feel free to continue to post here. It might be old, but the thread is still looked at ;)

P.S. Please remember to use your post's edit button to add on new content rather than double posting.
I’m curious if what I’m trying would work, and if you could help me through the process

If I can successfully replicate the RNG’ing of my TID/SID combo that I got on my retail cart, on emu, then could I use lua script and RAM watch to try to advance to a targeted frame?

Save-state while in my house (RNG does not advance while in houses in Twinleaf Town), then try to walk different paths to land on the seed I’m looking for?

If that is possible, then the one question I’m left with is that in this video guide to the method I’m considering employing for a Shiny starter
the creator of the video guide gets his Shiny, but it and another starter appear normal before he selects Piplup and gets the intended spread. How is this happening if the preview in the briefcase is supposed to show it? The only games I know that do this, that preview Shininess before even selecting your starter, from having seen it happen in videos, are HG/SS. Am I wrong on this?

(P.S.: if this form of replying is what you were telling me not do I’m sorry; should these questions just be edited into my old comment or..? I just didn’t know what you meant by “new post.” Like, a new reply to a user, like this reply to your comment?)

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
I'll admit that I'm an old fashioned guy that doesn't know the first thing about emus, so I can't really help on that front. Otherwise I'll do what I can!

I think your idea would work. Assuming you do the exact same thing on both, you should be able to scope out the process on the emu and then try to replicate it on cart. It looks like in the video they mapped out what movements the NPCs do with different delays, which would be quite helpful to know when you go to do it on your retail cart (if you don't know what seed [delay] you hit, you can't update the Eon/Zomg Timer). If you've done your timer calibration already from the TID abuse, that'll save time now as well. Otherwise you may have to play through a bit to find your calibrated delay since updating the timer just based on the starter will be tough.

Based on the video/your research, it appears that the shiny sprite in the case would only apply to HGSS and not DPP. Our guide is admittedly not very clear on that. So it would seem that it doesn't apply here.

I just didn’t know what you meant by “new post.” Like, a new reply to a user, like this reply to your comment?)
Yes.

What you did now is fine. I just meant try to avoid having multiple posts in a row that are yours. If you have something to add to your old post and no one has responded yet, edit the info into your most recent post (it's a site-wide policy to avoid flooding). Otherwise, making a new reply like you did to my comment is fine :) If you need me to clarify on the posting thing further, feel free to post on my profile or start a convo with me like you did before.

Hey, I got some questions about RNG Abuse in Gen 7. Are most routes too erratic for wild catches because of NPCs? I've been trying to catch naive Abra with synchronize ability (route 2) but I think I'll just transport myself one from past games soon...

But yeah... about 3DS RNGTool
1) What does on x and o actually mean on "synch?" column? My logic says x means "synchronized" and o means "not"
2) When picking locations same route might have 2 possible locations like Route 2 (1) and Route 2 (2). How do I know where I'm at?
3) Does "day" or "night" affect on rng significantly or is that option only there because some pokémon appear less often on night and vice versa?
Is the day/night based on 3DS clock or whether it's night or day ingame?
4) #NPCs gets automatically filled when I choose route. Should I change it if PCalc shows that there is higher or lower NPC count?
5) Route 2 has "consider delay" checked and got 8+4F... what does that mean?

Sorry I feel like making things too complicated... I somehow managed to rng abuse nihilego with synchonizer with no issues at all but I can't get one bloody abra caught. :D

//edit. yeah i give up and get elgyem from black

Last edited:

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey, I got some questions about RNG Abuse in Gen 7. Are most routes too erratic for wild catches because of NPCs? I've been trying to catch naive Abra with synchronize ability (route 2) but I think I'll just transport myself one from past games soon...

But yeah... about 3DS RNGTool
1) What does on x and o actually mean on "synch?" column? My logic says x means "synchronized" and o means "not"
2) When picking locations same route might have 2 possible locations like Route 2 (1) and Route 2 (2). How do I know where I'm at?
3) Does "day" or "night" affect on rng significantly or is that option only there because some pokémon appear less often on night and vice versa?
Is the day/night based on 3DS clock or whether it's night or day ingame?
4) #NPCs gets automatically filled when I choose route. Should I change it if PCalc shows that there is higher or lower NPC count?
5) Route 2 has "consider delay" checked and got 8+4F... what does that mean?

Sorry I feel like making things too complicated... I somehow managed to rng abuse nihilego with synchonizer with no issues at all but I can't get one bloody abra caught. :D
1) X = No, O = Yes
2) Trial and error I guess - different parts of different routes have different encounter slots so basically make sure what you're after is available where you are... There used to be a list of the locations on NOOB forums but I can't seem to find it now, feel free to look for yourself though.
3) It changes what's available. Based on in game.
4) There will always be a spot on the route with the number of NPCs displayed by the tool, do your best to try and find that spot because the less NPCs the more stable the RNG. There's a list of these spots again on NOOB but I can't seem to find it D:
5) Everything has consider delay checked, for the most part you can ignore it but if you keep missing your target then try adjusting it up or down by however much you miss by

Anyone know an ideal EonTimer alternative for Mac? I’ve got the Java-based ZomgTimer by ToastPlusOne on my MacBook, but I sometimes question its accuracy even though I’ve gotten a few Shinies on Emerald using it.

Anyone know an ideal EonTimer alternative for Mac? I’ve got the Java-based ZomgTimer by ToastPlusOne on my MacBook, but I sometimes question its accuracy even though I’ve gotten a few Shinies on Emerald using it.
And also, any tips on honing in on (nearly) exactly what frame the Battle Video I recorded is on?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
And also, any tips on honing in on (nearly) exactly what frame the Battle Video I recorded is on?
This might help:
hozu said:
To find out the PRNG value stored in the video, simply use EonTimer set at a low frame like 1000, start the timer at the same time you press B to exit the video, and encounter a Pokemon when the timer runs out. A stationary Pokemon Pokemon would be ideal, as it's easier to find out what frame you hit. Determine the frame you landed on, subtract that value from your target frame, and add that to the value in EonTimer.
Sub EonTimer for your timer of choice.

Not sure about the ZomgTimer. That's the best one afaik.

All right...so I've been attempting to RNG breed a Jolly 5 IV Gible in SoulSilver on a DS Lite and after 2-3 hours, I haven't had any luck so far, so I decided to come here, as there aren't many better places to look. (Sorry if this post is too long, but I wanted to be sure I got down EVERYTHING I did. Also, I'm not exactly an RNG noob; I've successfully RNG'd in Generations 3 and 5.)

Here's everything that I've done so far: First of all, I followed along with the guide on this website when setting up everything. I am using RNG Reporter 9.96.6 Beta and EonTimer 1.6. In EonTimer, I set the Calibrated Delay to 490 and the Calibrated Seconds to 14. Then in RNG Reporter, I went to "4th Generation Time Finder", then to "Egg IVs". I input 2019 as the year, min/max delay to 500/2000, and min/max frame to 9/15. For the parent IVs, Parent A is a male Jolly Tyranitar holding an Everstone with flawless Attack, Special Defense, and Speed. Parent B is a female Gible with a Careful nature and flawless Speed. The Daycare Man has a Jolly male Gible egg waiting. I checked "HG/SS" and "Show Inheritance" and searched for an IV spread of 31/31/31/x/31/31. I am using the seed 070B03D4 with a delay of 961 and a frame of 11. With this seed, the egg inheritance is 31/A/31/30/A/A. I went to "4th Gen. Tools", then to "Seed to Time". I selected HG/SS, set the year to 2019, copy/pasted the seed, set the seconds to 23, then hit Generate. I left the roamers blank, as I KO'd all of them, and I'm not looking for a shiny egg. Among the options given to me, I selected July 30, 2019, with a time of 11:30.23. Back in EonTimer, I set the Target Delay to 961 and the Target Seconds to 23, and Minutes Before Target gave me 1. I set the DS's date to July 30, 2019, then I set a time of 11:29, while making sure to simultaneously hit Start on EonTimer and A on the DS. I then went back to the DS's main menu and hit A when EonTimer first hit 0. I got to the main menu of SoulSilver and waited until the 2nd timer hit 0 before hitting A. Within the game, I hit the pause menu as fast as I could and loaded the PokeGear's phone. Now, here's where I've been having problems. I've been attempting to use Elm calls from the main RNG Reporter window (Breeding (HGSS) set under method, seed pasted) to verify my seed, but the calls hardly ever match up. My call sequence from frames 1-10 is listed as KEKEEEPKPP, and I do know to stop one short of the target, but on the rare chance that it does match up (with PKPP being the sequence that comes up), I end up getting a different IV spread. So...am I doing something wrong here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for double-posting, but I managed to work out what I was doing wrong, and I now have my Jolly 5 IV Gible! First of all, I decided to get off my lazy butt and figure out the exact IVs of the original Gible (I already had the IVs for Tyranitar), as well as figure out what delay I hit. I found out that I had hit a delay of 950, well off of the 961 that I was aiming for. So, in EonTimer, I put 950 into "Delay Hit" and clicked update. EonTimer gave me a new calibrated delay of 479. Another thing I remembered while looking into this further; prior to attempting to RNG, I watched a couple videos by bearsfan092. While I wasn't able to fully understand the HG/SS breeding video (possibly because he was going after a shiny, which I wasn't), I did take note of one interesting tidbit from the calibration video: the player could hit only even delays or only odd delays depending on whether a Generation 3 cartridge was in the Advance slot. So I tried again with the new calibrated delay, with the Advance slot occupied and unoccupied. Unfortunately, I was still not getting my desired results. So, I searched for what delay I hit for one of the non-Advance slot results, as my target delay was odd, and the 1st attempt hit an even delay. This time, I was hitting a delay of 967, which upon being put into EonTimer, gave me another new calibrated delay of 483. The very first attempt with 483 and no Advance slot was successful. So...thanks to everyone who contributed to the guide and to RNG research in general!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)