1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Welcome to Wi-Fi! Please remember to read the rules and do NOT create a new thread for simple trades or Friend Safari codes.

Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

Discussion in 'Wi-Fi' started by mingot, Mar 16, 2009.

1. IronGross

IronGross

Is finding time through sheer stats as effective as listing IVs?
  2. Hamstern

Hamstern

Either find a spread with an odd frame or release one roaming pokémon.
  3. Shika511

Shika511

so your saying I'd have to advance it 115 then? Because the rng reporter said 114, and the frame is 1?
  4. TCCPhreak

TCCPhreak

Improbable TrainerID/SecretID-combinations

Hi there,

Just found out some things and thought I should share them.

Seedsetting at start of game:

1. Before intro comes up, Seed is set to timedate (x1). This has an offset of zero,
    so last byte is year.

2. Then it is set to zero
    2.1 At this point, 18 random numbers are created.
    2.1 of course, with seed being zero, those are not really random

3. When switching to title screen, it is set to x1, again

4. After pressing "continue", it is seeded with new (current timedate)

---

At the beginning of the game (starting new game),

1. Before intro comes up, Seed is set to timedate (x1)
    2. Then zero
    3. then to x1, again

4. Before Prof speech comes up, seed is set to current timedate

5. After TV Scene, a new (current) timedate is put into seed
    5.1 this has a rather high offset (hat 2838 for Year 2009) as prof speech takes some time.

6. Mersenne Twister is called twice. The second roll gives the Trainer IDs.
    (low 16Bit is public ID, high 16 Bit is hidden ID)

7. Three calls to RNG are made afterwards, these seem used to set the pointers

---

The most interesting thing about this is (6). A given seed will always result in the same TrainerID/SecretID-combination.

This throws up a question: Can I hit _every_ number? As this maps 2^32 (seeds) onto 2^32 (possible rolls), two seeds resulting in the same roll would mean that some other number can't be hit - therefore making a specific trainerID/secretID-combination _invalid_.

I know that Mersenne is better RNG than the other one, but is it possible to calculate back from a roll to the seed, given that you know it's the second roll? Is it easily possible?

I answered another question myself: It seems like _every_ seed is possible at the beginning of the game. Given a large delay, you can change the seed as if the game was started in another hour.

Still that means that someone with a TrainerID/SecretID resulting from a Seed xxFFxxxx or even xx00xxxx spent an enormous amount of time listening to the professor at the beginning of the game - thus making these TrainerID/SecretID-combinations rather "unprobable". I waited about 20 minutes just to have the "hour digit" by a single digit. Given that it is 23 =0x17 at max, offsetting it to FF would mean a waittime of 4640 minutes.
    I gotta admit, I did this on emulator so timing might be wrong but if offset is "seconds*60", this still means about 18.2 minutes per digit.

So my main question to the math geniuses is: Can I rollback the second Mersenne roll to the original seed? Or do I have to create a map by bruteforce?

Greetings,

TCC
  5. mingot

mingot free agent
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I don't think you are going to have a whole lot of luck with trying to work Mersenne backwards as you need 624 sequential values to even predict future iterates (you can also likely use them to figure out past, back to seed, too).

Period of 2^19937 − 1 :(

Of course, if the offset is fixed from seed and you have a relatively small pool of candidate seeds to brute force through it might be pretty easy to at lease figure out what the SID is from just a table of ID's. That would be very very useful. Not helpful to exploiting, but useful just the same.
  6. TCCPhreak

TCCPhreak

I don't think I need 624 sequential values, if I know I'm on second roll and I know the algorithm behind the initialisation

t[0] = Initial SEED
    t[n] = (( upper 2bits of t [n-1] ) xor t [n-1]) * 0x6c078965 + n

where n = 1 - 623

(taken from page 21).

I need to check into Mersenne, again - but if I recall correctly, only two or three of these previous values are taken. With second roll, these should be rather fixed.

Still I'm not sure whether this rollback would be possible - if second mersenne roll is not bijective, then we'd be stuck with anyway.

TCC
  7. yngstr

yngstr

Bump
  8. LightningFusion

LightningFusion
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Yes the pokemon is dependent on the frame. That's why there are encounter slots.
  9. yngstr

yngstr

Uh oh, looks like I missed something here... encounter slots? I was under the false impression that once I had a spread picked out, as long as I had my frames correct, it would assign those IVs to the next pokemon I encountered, whatever that may be. Now I'm confused...
  10. Hamstern

Hamstern

I'm not sure what you meaning. But the formula for for how many journal flips you should do is:

((Target frame) - (frame of the legend ) - (number of roamers))/2

So if you release a roaming pokémon the number of journal flips will be (114-1-1)/2 = 56

If you don't wanna release any roamer it's best to find a another IV-spread that has a odd frame.
  11. Shika511

Shika511

thanks, that's what I was asking for. I don't have any pokemon roaming around right now.
  12. RCrayons

RCrayons

why not just catch a magikarp instead?
  13. mingot

mingot free agent
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Check the first page, a few posts down. You'll see the post.

What pokemon you encounter is determined by the random number generator.

When you target a specific frame the calls that determine which monster you will catch are fixed, right along with the ivs that are also fixed. So if you hit the same frame with the same same seed you will always get the same monster. Of the same level. Holding the same item.

Different frames, which may have the same ivs may yield a different monster.
  14. yngstr

yngstr

Can't do that because my spread is such so that old rod will never catch anything.
  15. bizar

bizar

I don't get it I have done everyting right when i started the game my standard frame was 9, but i haved to have 26. so i have done 8 pageflips to capture/defeated and one extra to a other page so that i would make my frame to 26. The delay that i must hit was 595 and i did so i did everything right but I still don't get the right IV's :S
  16. mingot

mingot free agent

Um, 9 + (8 * 2) = 25

Not the 26 that you are targeting.
  17. LightningFusion

LightningFusion

No you didn't do everything right. 9 + 8x2 = 25, not 26. And " one extra to a other page so that i would make my frame to 26" makes no sense.
  18. bizar

bizar

Ooh I see, but then I still should get this magikarp:

31/25/31/31/31/31, I have checked it into my timefinder.
  19. LightningFusion

LightningFusion

Well, you don't always hit the right delay, and sometimes even seconds. Use the adjacent list to find out where you messed up, because RNG reporter isn't going to be wrong.
  20. Muk

Muk
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

If I have a caught Pokemon and a recieved through trade Pokemon on the same journal page, will that do/mess up anything?

Edit: nvm
  21. Shika511

Shika511

this doesn't make any sense, how are you supposed to make a legendary shiny with this information?
  22. The Giritina-man

The Giritina-man

What information are you referring to? It's rather easy, just takes lots of practice and explicit timing.
  23. Shika511

Shika511

I mean I have no idea how to make legendaries shiny. I've been going over this information for the past week and I still don't understand the process.
  24. MB1010

MB1010

when i input my chansey's lv 100 stats in metal kids iv calculator i got at special attack IV 15-16 which one should i put in seed finder?
  25. Shika511

Shika511

try both, and one shouldn't work and the other should. At least in my experiance.

can someone who's experianced in using the rng to catch shiny legendaries pm me with the whole process? I really don't understand it.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)