1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Welcome to Wi-Fi! Please remember to read the rules and do NOT create a new thread for simple trades or Friend Safari codes.

Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

Discussion in 'Wi-Fi' started by mingot, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Romsstar

Romsstar

Any of your questions could've been answered if you simply checked the Research Thread.

Disconfirming your first point, it takes about 1-2 seconds max to the point where the game seeds which finally concludes that you was way off target.

Of course your seed was clearly incorrect as you hit one that was clearly incorrect.
  2. jErry07

jErry07

By saying this;

What does mingot mean by "this initial seed"? Where should I get that initial seed?

Quote from http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/dpp_rng_part3
  3. Zippo

Zippo

the seed you will find by using the ivs of the poke you caught
  4. jErry07

jErry07

How should I convert the pokemon's IVs that I've caught to a seed?
  5. Zippo

Zippo

In Rng Reporter hit the "Seed Finder" Option:)
  6. mingot

mingot free agent
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

You need to read and understand this before you continue:

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/dpp_rng_part2

I'll clarify the guide, but pay particular attention to "Calibration". You are going to use the same facility (seed finder) to get your initial seed.
  7. jErry07

jErry07

Thanks for the help guys.

Nice vids stavros, by the way.
  8. Ryoku

Ryoku

Verifying your Target Time/Delay

For this step, does the order of the heads and tails matter, or is it just the total number of heads and tails?
  9. Nexus

Nexus Day 358: Believe
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Wi-Fi Commissioner

the order matters for it
  10. Mackenzie

Mackenzie

ok i know i always get the frame right, the minimum is 4.

Im soft resetting for egg ivs. but when i check the stats in an iv calculator, it always ends up getting the wrong ivs as compared to the one given by the rng reporter; verified that using the flip sequence, and they did not match.

i've inputted the correct delays, correct min frame and an arbitrary max one. is there something im doing wrong? :C
  11. Ryoku

Ryoku

Alright, I must be doing something wrong, since I can't seem to match the coin sequence.

I've gotten many initial seeds, most of them being about 14 seconds averaging about 635 delay. Now, say I used 11:07:00 as the starting time, would my synchronize time be 11:06:00 and reset time be 11:06:46?
  12. Strydorman

Strydorman

Sounds like your frame is changing on you, IV's can change with the frame. Even though you've hit your delay properly, you may have gotten the wrong frame.
  13. jerbro

jerbro

Alright, thanks for the info DarkChaos. To clear things up, I tried several times with the Target Frame at 6 and my frame at 6 and even though I lined up the time and delays, the frame was still off, so I think the journal being on the caught pokemon page affects the frame even though you haven't touched it.

I tried a different set using a Target Frame of 10 and it worked perfectly after turning the journal page and turning it back to the caught pokemon page.
  14. Riski

Riski

I have written a noob guide for getting a shiny egg in HGSS. It's in my trade thread for now (link in sig). This is a work in progress but the basics are there for anyone wanting to start hatching shinies on their HGSS game.
  15. dafinal

dafinal

Your guide's huge O_O... compared to what I usually do to get my shinies ._.
  16. Riski

Riski

It's a noob guide with step by step instructions. If you have short cuts to getting a shiny in HGSS, please tell me what they are. I'll adjust the guide.
  17. dafinal

dafinal

When I look for shiny eggs, I typically look for low frames, not a frame of 1. I've found that as long as you hit your Initial Seed correctly and verify that the seed and delay are correct, the frames are usually correct (on rare occasions do undesired results occur).
    The only time I've found the egg frames screwing up is when the date and time is very near the next day. Let's say, on the day 5/6/10, you find a good seed with a time of around 23:49, and you're looking for an egg on frame 3. If you do not get your third egg (frame 3) egg from the Daycare Man BEFORE the time reaches 00:00 (11 minutes later; signifying the next day 5/7/10), your egg will be a fail and the following eggs will all be random fails.
    Make sure to note that they should pay attention to the time and date of the egg they're trying for. If the date changes before they get their egg, the egg will not be shiny. Also, low frames work just as well for the process, but your guide's noob-friendly so I guess that can be left in.
  18. Riski

Riski

Thanks, dafinal. Yeh, I tried a 3 frame seed once, but it failed, so I reverted to earlier advice and aimed for a 1 frame seed.

Oh, and do I have permission to quote your advice in my noob guide?

Do you happen to know if incoming phonecalls (not answered) will advance the frames?
  19. dafinal

dafinal

Sure go ahead.
    I've read somewhere that things that normally advance the frame of the RNG (talking to your Pokemon, adventuring around, radio, phone calls, etc.) do not advance the egg RNG (I think there's a specific name for this somewhere...). For me, taking many steps just to get a phone call from the daycare man is proof enough, because the egg RNG doesn't seem to advance at all (you're taking lots of steps and receiving phone calls from the old man).
  20. Riski

Riski

Thanks, I'll insert your tips into the guide. :-) Much appreciated.
  21. dafinal

dafinal

No problem.
  22. Dark Morford

Dark Morford

Hi all. I'm completely new to RNG abuse—or anything at all regarding competitive Pokemon—and I could use some help getting started. I have SoulSilver, and for now I'm mostly interesting in catching Pokemon with good IVs, and maybe a shiny or two; I'll worry about learning the ins and outs of breeding later.

I've looked over the RNG guides on Smogon, and using RNG Reporter 8.20 and the mash-the-A-button calibration technique, it looks like I consistently hit 15 seconds with a delay of 489–493. Since HG/SS don't have the Poketch, though, I don't know how to tell if I'm hitting seeds correctly. Hell, I'm not even entirely sure how to calculate what seed I want to hit, let alone what to do after that. I don't have any roamers out at the moment (caught both Entei and Raikou, and haven't triggered Lati@s yet), if that makes any difference.

Where do I go from here?
  23. Rayne Sylvan

Rayne Sylvan

I'm trying to get a Boomlax from the Pokewalker, and I can see how to get the IVs I want now, but how would I go about getting a specific desired nature? Or do I just have to keep resetting until the nature is right?

EDIT: I plugged seed B010049 into RNG reporter using Wondercard IV generation to get 31/31/30/2/30/1 at frame 7, and that worked just fine. I tried to calculate what nature I would get using egg PID generation and got Brave on frame 388 (195[first transfer of 3 pokemon]+193[second transfer, just Munchlax]). However, when I tried it this way, he came back Bashful, which, oddly enough, lies on frame 7 O.o. Was my math off, am I doing this wrong entirely, or is something else up?

To put this another way, how can I go about calculating the number of frame advances I need to get a given nature?
  24. Arranf

Arranf

Where should I be looking for this option?
  25. dafinal

dafinal

Incoming Wall of Text
    (PLEASE NOTE: Parts of this post may be very unspecific. For example, it doesn't go over Monster Methods and Frames and skips over many information input fields. More research may be needed. This is just a brief, general guide.)

Okay in HGSS, you can tell if you're hitting the right seed through the Elm Method or the Roamer Method. The Roamer Method includes inputting the route number of the roamers to verify your seed. In your case, I would use the Roamer Method right now, because you still have roamers out.

I personally use the Elm Method because it's much better. Before using the Elm Method, I would recommend catching all roamers and Lati@s first to make sure that there's no trouble. In order to use the Elm Method, you have to have done the following:
    - Hatched Togepi
    - Gotten Pokerus
    - Stepped into the Kanto Region
    After you've done these things, whenever you call Elm, he'll say one of three possible responses. These responses are as follows:

K- "I expect there are some Pokémon in the Kanto region that I don't know. There are probably methods of evolution that I'm not familiar with yet. I should use that perspective and discover what I can."

E- "There are so many different ways that Pokémon evolve, aren't there?! Some Pokémon don't even evolve until they meet certain conditions first!"

P- "It seems that Pokémon that have been infected with Pokérus level up better. We're not quite sure why..."

Now that we know that Elm will say randomly one of these phrases each time you call him, you might be wondering why I emphasized K, E, and P. I did this because RNGReporter refers to these responses using those three letters.

Now you might be wondering "Where might I see this?" and "Why is this important?". These responses come into play when you verify whether or not you hit the right seed and delay. To be specific, I usually find a way to apply these responses in the RNGReporter's "Seed to Time" finder, but that comes in later.

When using the Elm Method, you must use the sequence of "Elm Responses" to check your seed. That means that every time you call Elm, you should make note of what he says. Lets say, for example, Elm says the following responses in the following order:

"I expect there are some Pokémon in the Kanto region that I don't know. There are probably methods of evolution that I'm not familiar with yet. I should use that perspective and discover what I can."

"It seems that Pokémon that have been infected with Pokérus level up better. We're not quite sure why..."

"I expect there are some Pokémon in the Kanto region that I don't know. There are probably methods of evolution that I'm not familiar with yet. I should use that perspective and discover what I can."

"There are so many different ways that Pokémon evolve, aren't there?! Some Pokémon don't even evolve until they meet certain conditions first!"

The sequence would be: K, P, K, E, K. Usually, it takes around 9 or more Elm Responses to check a seed (e.g. K, P, K, E, K, E, P, K, P).

Now that you somewhat know about the Elm Method, let's take a step backwards. "What comes before the Elm Method?" you're asking. Well you have to find your initial seed of course. You do this by hitting a certain target time and delay. That's three things you need to note... confusing isn't it?

Well, it might be good to know that your initial seed depends solely on your target time and delay. So now you have only two things to worry about, the target time and delay. "Okay then, how can I find out what target time and delay I need?" Well it all depends on the Pokemon you're trying to RNG.

"Okay, I know what Pokemon I need, what do I do now?" You put the Pokemon's information somewhere, right? Follow the instructions provided below:

- Open RNGReporter and click on "Time Finder"
    - Choose the upper tab that is most appropriate to your cause (Are you breeding or capturing a Pokemon?)
    - Enter all of the information that may be needed. (Make sure you don't forget about the checkboxes)
    - Now click "Generate", you should see a spread of seeds, times, and delays that match your desired Pokemon (seeds and frames if you're on the "Capture" tab).
    - Right click what seems to be the best seed (pokemon) for you. Now select "Generate More Times".
    - On the top of the new window, check the "HGSS" option.
    - Now choose an appropriate date, time, and delay. All of these will help you get your Pokemon.
    - After selecting and highlighting a row, Click on "Generate" on the middle right of the new window.
    - If you read what I typed previously about the Elm Method, something should definitely click. You now see the sequences I taught you about! Now scroll down until you find the right seed. The seed's hex should match the seed hex in the previous window (other window). The date, time, and delay should match the values of row you chose in the upper section.
    - Here's where your Calibration knowledge comes into play. Now that you have the right seed, all of the information you need is right where you want it. Set up your DS Date/Time settings to get ready to hit your target time (like you used to do in other 4th gen games). When the game starts immediately start up the PokeGear and make sure that there are no wandering NPCs.
    - So you're in game, but did you hit your target time and date? How about your initial seed? Did you hit your delay? Yes no? Let's check all of this using the Elm Method. Give Professor Elm a call on your PokeGear.
    - Take note of how Elm Responds each time and compare the results to the "Elm Responses" on RNGReporter. If the way Elm responds in your game matches up with the required Elm Responses on RNGReporter, you have successfully hit your seed and delay. Congrats!
    - You can also use the "Search Elm" button and input Elm Responses. The program will check which seed, date, time and delay you hit. This information can be useful in calibrating for a next try, as not everybody can get a desired seed on the first seed :-).

To Recap:
    - There are two method to check/verify your seed: Roamer and Elm Method. The Roamer Method uses the routes of roamers to verify a seed while the Elm Method uses the sequence of Elm Responses to verify a seed.
    - When using the Elm Method, the sequence and content of responses from Elm matters. Make notes of what he says.
    - Find a Pokemon and make note of its frame.
    - Search for a desired initial seed, time/date, and delay.
    - Prepare the DS and, using calibration knowledge, start up the game.
    - Check if the desired initial seed was hit by comparing Elm Responses.
    - Make use of the "Search Elm" button.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)