Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

Everstone

Now 100% reliable
is a Contributor Alumnus
Quick question regarding 4th gen RNG (Pearl)

I need to hit a target delay of 2791, but i keep hitting even delays. i have an emerald cart in the DS, but it is still even. is there something else i need to do?
Is the DS actually registering the cart, as in there's an option to Pal Park in your DS game? If it is, try it without the cart and see what happens. Or it could be that you're reading the wrong results and think it's one thing when it should be something else.

I have not unlocked palpark yet, i restarted the game after digging it up because my pc boxes were a cluttered mess.

i found some other spreads that have an even delay, however, and am trying again (the delays i hit are still even)

am i supposed to hit the exact delay, or is that what frame advancement is for?

Cereza

Tastes Like Candy
you need to hit the exact delay. After hitting the right delay, only then, you need to advance the frames.

i am using the time finder in RNG reporter to pick a spread, and then putting that into the seed to time, and that is were i am getting the delay (using your guide btw).

As soon as I am in-game I use the coin flip app and the coin flip window in the RNG program. Also, it seems that I am now getting even delays, but also an odd delay sometimes. Is that normal?

Fishaman P

Mechanics Maniac!
As soon as I am in-game I use the coin flip app and the coin flip window in the RNG program. Also, it seems that I am now getting even delays, but also an odd delay sometimes. Is that normal?
Completely normal.

Also, try waiting at the title screen until the Gamefreaks logo is fully opaque. That should switch your delays pretty consistently.

thanks for the tip. delays switched between odd and evens like you said.

ok so i've hit 2789 like 4 times in the past 10 minutes (aiming for 2791). is there an adjustment i should make on the eontimer or am i just unlucky?

the eon timer is on standard mode, calibrated delay 600, calibrated sec. 14, target sec 30.

using pearl version for all of this, trying to rng that riolu egg.

thanks for the tip. delays switched between odd and evens like you said.

ok so i've hit 2789 like 4 times in the past 10 minutes (aiming for 2791). is there an adjustment i should make on the eontimer or am i just unlucky?

the eon timer is on standard mode, calibrated delay 600, calibrated sec. 14, target sec 30.

using pearl version for all of this, trying to rng that riolu egg.
Personally, I find that if I am constantly hitting the same time like that, adjusting can help. Give it a shot, and if it doesn't work out, just change the delay back to what it was at before.

1 question- are Mt Silver Encounter Slots (HGSS) accurate?
As far as I am aware, yes. I haven't had any problems and I haven't heard of anyone else having issues either. Just make sure you are on the right floor/in the right area, and make sure there are no NPCs or anything around.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The OP has been updated with Everstone's updated RNG articles for DPP and HGSS, make sure to check them out if you need help with any aspecys of 4th gen abuse. Also, thanks to ToastPlusOne for the drop down menu located on the upper right so you can isolate the individual sections for DPP and HGSS as you see fit.

The DPP / HGSS RNG Abuse Guide A comprehensive guide to RNG abuse in DPP and HGSS, thanks to Everstone.

Thanks for letting us know! It's great to have a general guide for all Gen IV games with all the info compiled! I read through it, and one detail caught my attention: specifically, that the newer RNG Reporter accounts for Sweet Scent when displaying frames? I'm assuming this relates to the "Sweet Scent frame" that's different from cart to cart in HgSs? Here's the excerpt:

(NOTE TO USERS OF RNG REPORTER PRE 9.94: The frames are automatically adjusted to account for Sweet Scent/Honey in later versions. In the above example, if you were trying to get this Pokemon you DO NOT have to make any further adjustments if using the most current RNG Reporter. Simply do 144 or 146 advances before Sweet Scenting/using Honey and you should get it.)

Does this mean that when doing HgSs RNGing we can ignore the Sweet Scent frame in newer versions of RNG Reporter and just Sweet Scent when we're one frame away from our target, no matter what?

Thanks for letting us know! It's great to have a general guide for all Gen IV games with all the info compiled! I read through it, and one detail caught my attention: specifically, that the newer RNG Reporter accounts for Sweet Scent when displaying frames? I'm assuming this relates to the "Sweet Scent frame" that's different from cart to cart in HgSs? Here's the excerpt:

(NOTE TO USERS OF RNG REPORTER PRE 9.94: The frames are automatically adjusted to account for Sweet Scent/Honey in later versions. In the above example, if you were trying to get this Pokemon you DO NOT have to make any further adjustments if using the most current RNG Reporter. Simply do 144 or 146 advances before Sweet Scenting/using Honey and you should get it.)

Does this mean that when doing HgSs RNGing we can ignore the Sweet Scent frame in newer versions of RNG Reporter and just Sweet Scent when we're one frame away from our target, no matter what?
It's been awhile since I have done HG/SS abuse specifically, but the NPCs never moved during sweet scent as far as I am aware. I even RNGed a Tentacool while staring at an NPCs, and while sweet scenting, he was kind enough to not move a muscle. Platinum, however, those little SoBs run rampant. I'm not familiar with the newer versions of RNGr (downloaded BETA 5 yesterday ...) so I'm not entirely sure what it is you are referring too, but if anything, I would assume it is more geared towards DPPt then HGSS as NPCs don't move while sweet scenting in those games (unless I have been REALLY lucky all this time ...)

It's been awhile since I have done HG/SS abuse specifically, but the NPCs never moved during sweet scent as far as I am aware. I even RNGed a Tentacool while staring at an NPCs, and while sweet scenting, he was kind enough to not move a muscle. Platinum, however, those little SoBs run rampant. I'm not familiar with the newer versions of RNGr (downloaded BETA 5 yesterday ...) so I'm not entirely sure what it is you are referring too, but if anything, I would assume it is more geared towards DPPt then HGSS as NPCs don't move while sweet scenting in those games (unless I have been REALLY lucky all this time ...)
I don't mean NPCs, I'm referring to the number of frames that Sweet Scent advances in HgSs that supposedly differs from cart to cart. In "A Guide to Sweet Scent in the Fourth Generation" found onsite, there's a section that lists the number of frames advanced by the use of Sweet Scent (which depends on the game version, and if it's a land encounter or a Surf encounter). HgSs apparently have a random number of frames advanced by Sweet Scent which is consistent for a given cartridge.

My question is whether newer versions of RNG Reporter make it so we no longer need to know how many frames are advanced by Sweet Scent in our copy of HgSs (or any Gen IV game, for that matter). The new RNG Guide makes it sound as if you no longer need to know, but I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

Personally, I find that if I am constantly hitting the same time like that, adjusting can help. Give it a shot, and if it doesn't work out, just change the delay back to what it was at before.
i did manage to hit my delay, but i couldn't find the spread i was supposed hit after. i guess i just have to keep trying.

also, on a different topic, is it impossible to catch perfect IV method 1 pokemon in emerald?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i did manage to hit my delay, but i couldn't find the spread i was supposed hit after. i guess i just have to keep trying.

also, on a different topic, is it impossible to catch perfect IV method 1 pokemon in emerald?
The majority of flawless and near-flawless spreads are on ridiculously high frames, but it's technically possible, and becomes a lot easier if you use battle videos.

I have some question about rng in certain gens

3rd gen
Capture
Does anyone know how many frame mewtwo advances before the battle?

Does FR/LG frames really start to advance when you press "a" to hear the cry and go to the continue screen?
If so, if I don't press a, will seeds will continue to by randomly generated until I press a?

Egg pid abuse
In emerald, what is the common offset from the target frame if eontimer haven't been calibrated(lag 0)?

Doing egg pid abuse, is it common for egg to not generate on the 255th step?
(Currently saved where I take one step for the 255th and another to exit the daycare)
4th gen
In Hgss safari abuse, can you advance the days needed for a pokemon to generate by setting the day to 23:59 and saving when it's 00:00?
Thanks in advance

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
Egg pid abuse
In emerald, what is the common offset from the target frame if eontimer haven't been calibrated(lag 0)?

Doing egg pid abuse, is it common for egg to not generate on the 255th step?
(Currently saved where I take one step for the 255th and another to exit the daycare)
If you're standing on the interior doormat, taking the step to exit the building does not count as a step. As for not getting an egg... well the percentages are 20/50/70 depending on what the old man says...

As for the lag value that varies from person to person. I use -50 with the GBA box ticked on a GBA SP.

This is extremely helpful info, hozu thanks.
I'm assuming that if the man said
"These two don't like each other very much" the. I have 1/5 chanceof an egg generating in the 255th step

Thanks

I have some question about rng in certain gens

3rd gen
Capture
Does anyone know how many frame mewtwo advances before the battle?

Does FR/LG frames really start to advance when you press "a" to hear the cry and go to the continue screen?
If so, if I don't press a, will seeds will continue to by randomly generated until I press a?
Mewtwo is generated 4 frames after pressing A.

Seed is set after cry when the screen becomes completely white.

Fishaman P

Mechanics Maniac!
Fr/Lg capture: Frames start after game is seeded (getting to Continue screen iirc) and end when you put away Mewtwo's textbox.

Emerald breeding: DO NOT USE EON TIMER. It's much too confusing. Emerald doesn't require a 2-stage timer, just a stopwatch. Frames start at soft-reset, and end at:

A) Taking the 254th/255th step (for PID) (can't remember, been way too long)
B) Putting away the textbox "Take good care of it" (for IVs)

I'm attempting to do Emerald Shiny Egg PID abuse, but instead of using the spinda method, I migrated the pokemon that hatched from the egg to HG and uploaded it to Pokecheck. I looked at it's PID, converted it into decimal via windows calculator, and put that number in eepid. But the problem is, eepid will not give me the calibration value, even if I put the frames 1 to 100000. Am I missing something here?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)