Most Overrated 4th Gen Pokemon in OU?

Hello electivire. Seriously, that thing is so ridiculous. It can't do anything unless you get the boost, and even when you get the boost, it is still pretty horrible. Only reason to use it anymore is at high level play where no one expects the stupid thing.

You know what stops rapid spin? GHOSTS. And don't even bring up starmie, it doesn't fit on every team. He's about your only good option anyway. If you start attacking most players they'll start setting up sr. The point is he requires PREDICTION and there is no skill predicting on turn 1. It's luck. If you predict right, congrats your lead succeded. If not it failed and chances are you were better off using something else. (Note, that applies to every lead out there, not much of a point.)

I know what scarf heatran loses to and what it doesn't. I pair it with rotom and skarmory and together there isn't a lead I can't handle. Most metagross, machamp, and hippowodon run, and if they kill me guess what, free spikes for skarm. But usually against machamp I go to rotom on the dp and skarm on the payback. Works every time. Alot of azelf and aero waste a turn taunting, or I can just 2hko azelf if I feel like it.

It's not more dangerous, because a speed tie anywhere else can cost you the game. An aero user needs a plan for machamp, metagross, opposing aero, jirachi, and possibly infernape if it wants to be succesful. By the time you check all those threats you have very few spots left for the sweepers you want to employ.
Aerodactyl doesn't exactly need tons of back up. Most of the time you out speed and get your rocks. Machamp you suicide and get rocks, infernape you suicide and get rocks, jirachi you might want to switch or try to rely on luck, and metagross you die and get rocks. I mean its a suicide lead, it will die a lot of the time (and not to mention all most of these you can save aero as death fodder.). Anyway, scarf heatran isn't exactly as good of a lead as you say.
What exactly do you do about infernape with your three poke combo? (Note, it's not that hard to make letters capitol or use apostrophes.)

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You know what stops rapid spin? GHOSTS. And dont even bring up starmie, it doesnt fit on every team. Hes about your only good option anyway.
If you start attacking most players theyll start setting up sr.
This isn't true because there are a lot of players and they all expect the Taunt. Using Taunt, SR and dying is Aerodactyl's most basic function (and kind of a waste of potential IMO) and even if players do this every single game (and they do!), he'll have done his job. Nobody bothers trying to set up against him anymore.

Even if I'm one of the few guys that'll just attack right away, they're not going to completely ignore the fact that he's Aerodactyl and that's what he does for the sole purpose of outpredicting me (it won't work anyway; I break the sash on suicide lead and get my rocks up, Aero does his job. They SR as I attack, I get a free fully-sashed Aero...who STILL gets his guaranteed rocks). God made Aero for offensive leading, and he does it so well that he's basically shaped the leadgame in his image.

Its not more dangerous, because a speed tie anywhere else can cost you the game. An aero user needs a plan for machamp, metagross, opposing aero, jirachi, and possibly infernape if it wants to be succesful. By the time you check all those threats you have very few spots left for the sweepers you want to employ.
Losing Pokemon always costs you a game. Did you forget that this is a team of six? Also, the Pokemon you listed are just regular OU Pokemon. You're supposed to be filling up every slot in your team with a way to deal with them because they're everywhere, even outside of the lead position, and they will give you hell if you don't plan for them. Aerodactyl is completely inconsequential to all of them.

My plan for those guys 90% of the time is SR and switch. As far as I'm concerned, that's a win.

I still wonder how Electivire, Weavile and Ninjask were OU at the end of gen 4. None of them are any good for different reasons which I'm sure have been mentioned several times, so I won't do it again.

I'm definitely going to have to say Gyarados too. Sure it can DD, but it's a shit DDer. It's too slow and not quite powerful enough, and I'd rather use Dragonite every time. Its ResTalk set is pretty good but other than that it's fucking horrible.

I still wonder how Electivire, Weavile and Ninjask were OU at the end of gen 4. None of them are any good for different reasons which I'm sure have been mentioned several times, so I won't do it again.

I'm definitely going to have to say Gyarados too. Sure it can DD, but it's a shit DDer. It's too slow and not quite powerful enough, and I'd rather use Dragonite every time. Its ResTalk set is pretty good but other than that it's fucking horrible.
Weavile is amazing are u serious i love weavile i could wreck ur whole team with a weavile watch this vid

Im gonna agree with aerodactyl. It taunts and SRs then dies. Setting up SR is important but there are many many leads who can also set up a hazard/screens reliably without starting the game 5-6 to your opponent. Bulkier leads such as swampert and metagross can set up SR and also provide some firepower. Yes hes fast and yes he might be the most reliable SR setup lead but starting the game with one pokemon short is a not good.

Here is the problem. Anyone can name a Pokemon and one of it's major shortcomings, and then what? Every Pokemon has it's own failures and strong points. For example:

Aerodactyl: Fastest non-scarf taunt+ Stealth Rock in OU
Blissey: Amazing special wall
Electivire: Benefits greatly from half of Boltbeam

Of course, each one has it's own problem. The main idea is that we need a Pokemon that doesn't do what it is supposed to do as well as it is supposed to. For example, I think Blissey is horrible as a wall because almost any physical move off of decent Base power and attacking stat will do a ton.

Also, some pokemon are obviously not overrated just by looking at certain other pokemon. For example, the only reason Weavile is used ever OU is because Ice Shard was doing massive damage to any Dragon type thanks to great (sarcastic) typing. This means that you can't say Mence was overrated, otherwise Weavile would be in UU for sure.

For me, the most overrated would have to be Dragonite. Almost every pokemon carries Edgequake, or some Ice move. Despite his decent bulk, he just can't handle so many super effective attacks, nor can he outspeed many attackers thanks to low speed, nor can he OHKO many threats without a Life orb/dragon dance. This limits him, in my opinion.

i would say a pokemon thats overrated but not the most overrated would be suicune, ecspecially crocune, yea this thing can easily get through unprepared teams but it was so easy to get past especially with a phazer, and you'd laugh at any crocune when you have vaporeon or any bulky water or grass type really, offensive cunes easily could get phazed by swampert if they have hp electric and gyarados if they had grass . So mostly you would just be switching in taking SR damage sponging hits you switch into eventuall dieing doing nothing,(dont even mention blissey in the picture *even though set up fodder*)

he doesnt have to be a lead lol you can destroy their taunter by the time he is used
If I really wanted to use a BP team I would rather use Scizor who at least has decent bulk, isn't 4x fucking weak to SR, can actually hurt things, isn't fucking weak to SR, oh and did I mention IT'S NOT FUCKING SR WEAK

Seriously there is no reason to use Ninjask at all. It's horrible. Almost as funny as that time where I faced a noob on PO who thought CB Ninjask was good because it could OHKO Colbur Berry Azelf lol

I thought Scizor was quite over rated, yes it had powerful STAB priority as well as powerful uturn, but it was walled by the best defensive type in the game, and with the removal of Salamence and Latias from the metagame it was proved to be as useless as a friggin' Electivire. I guess it was just major overcentralization of the metagame, where everyone ad to carry one for mence, that popularized it, otherwise it just wasn't tat great...

Not to mention the fact that most were cb, and once they were locked in on a move which didn't hurt magnezone, it was deadweight. But I guess it would take a major misplay to allow it to get trapped early game, when uturn is always the way to go.

I don't know, I guess I just feel like there were better ways to use that team slot, although I will admit it had good typing, and access to imho the best move in the game (pursuit).

he doesnt have to be a lead lol you can destroy their taunter by the time he is used
Then you have to deal with the fact that he's SR weak, there's shit like CB Scizor Bullet Punch running around, and that teams with phazers just destroy you (for example, stall with hippo/gyara).

If I really wanted to use a BP team I would rather use Scizor who at least has decent bulk, isn't 4x fucking weak to SR, can actually hurt things, isn't fucking weak to SR, oh and did I mention IT'S NOT FUCKING SR WEAK

Seriously there is no reason to use Ninjask at all. It's horrible. Almost as funny as that time where I faced a noob on PO who thought CB Ninjask was good because it could OHKO Colbur Berry Azelf lol

Fucking fucking FUCKING, fucking fucking? learn to type without cursing

I always thought Tentacruel was overrated. I know it sets up hazards and whatnot but it invites people to set up and is just dead weight if you ask me.

Fucking fucking FUCKING, fucking fucking? learn to type without cursing
i think he's just trying to prove the point of how horrendously terrible ninjask is

also @above: i always found tenta to be a bit underrated in this day and age, it gives alot of teams trouble but maybe thats just me :X

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Blissey, easily. Yeah, she can wall special attackers but she becomes setup fodder for practically everything in OU as even machamp can outspeed her with just 8 EV's in speed.

lol. Blissey is not anywhere close to the most overrated pokemon. Amazing bulk on BOTH sides (252/252+ survives a CB Groudon EQ) along with the ability to switch into any special attacker basically gives it an amazing niche in the metagame. Combine this with amazing support moves like T-Wave and Toxic that prevent set-up, and you've got a pretty good pokemon.

Ninjask is a sweet ass baton passer with a Focus Sash on, then you can use as death fodder after that
I may love that little bug, but yeah, overrated. Perhaps not the most overrated, but still quite. Really it was more of a mind game with ninjask leading, as many opponents go for the greedy SR on the first turn thinking you'd switch for sure, so you can get off a +2 atk +1 spd boost against such people, and BP out next turn at full health, so you wouldn't be KO'd by priority. But it was still too much of a risk, and SR was the final straw.

I'm really tempted to give my vote to Rachi, if only because mine is a piece of crap, but i'm pretty sure he's done better for others. In a fair vote, i'm going to have to go Scizor. While i love the red mantis, he is way too often a deadweight. Maybe i don't know how to play him, maybe i brought him out at the wrong time, but he never seemed to come out well. The only successful Scozr i've used is a Bulky BP Scizor running SD/BP/Bullet Punch/Iron Defense. And that guy had only one job: a backup Ninjask.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Starmie@Life Orb. Sure, it's hard to switch into, but admit it, Timid LO Starmie doesn't hit hard enough. Sure it can Spin, but Rotom-a and Scarf-Tar eat it up, and Surf does jack shit to them (the latter in Sand). Hydro Pump's accuracy hurts way too much when combined with an only "decent" SpA. It can't Recover reliably due to its mediocre defenses. Finally, Blissey completely ruins Starmie's plans, since it's not scared of 388 SpA Surf. IMO Starmie is much better as a Trick-Scarfer, even in the lead position, since it outspeeds and cripples just about any common threat outside of +1 Ninjask (lol).

I completely disagree about Scizor though. Choice Band and U-Turn make it one of the most excellent pivots in the game. It takes a respectable chunk out of Gyarados (even factoring Intimidate and NVE) and can even pick it off with low HP (~20%) with Bullet Punch, assuming he's in later with no Intimidate. Sure, he's slow, but there are so many Pokemon that just switch out when they see him, and he can abuse that fact with U-Turn. However, now that I mention slow, Swords Dance Scizor is just bad unless you're lucky. There are way too many things that resist Bug-Steel-Fighting, Superpower is a bad move, and Brick Break is too weak in general.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)