Move/Ability animations thread

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
if I'm not mistaken the in-game animations for Power Gen (at least as of XY) show the rocks as striking the target and not proceeding past them

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is this the right thread to request working on the Terrain backgrounds? Terrains are prevalent in SM metas, and it would be nice to have distinguishing backgrounds for each of them!

PS: ur awesome B)

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
Is this the right thread to request working on the Terrain backgrounds? Terrains are prevalent in SM metas, and it would be nice to have distinguishing backgrounds for each of them!
It's already on the todo list. They're already uploaded on PS, but not just coded in yet

Could Moonblast go back to the old animation? The little moon at the top is a little odd to me personally, but I'm not sure if other people disagree. !_!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ridaz, I just checked the OP's to-do list and realized that Tectonic Rage (current placeholder being precipice blades) was missing.

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hey can you make the animation of Clanging Scales similar to a sound move? (Boomburst for example but with dragonish colors)
People get confused that it is a sound move because of the current animation misleads it

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
Ridaz, I just checked the OP's to-do list and realized that Tectonic Rage (current placeholder being precipice blades) was missing.
I think I fixed that but forgot to post about it
hey can you make the animation of Clanging Scales similar to a sound move? (Boomburst for example but with dragonish colors)
People get confused that it is a sound move because of the current animation misleads it
So... You want people to be more confused?

Last edited:

Ridaz

Don't @ me
Can we have the old ice beam animation back. I loved the flow of ice stream of the old rather than the new literal beam
That doesn't make much sense. It's supposed to be a beam. Hence the name of the attack.

Could Acid Downpour have an animation similar to Thousand Arrows or Eruption, but purple?
Ok

Ok
That looks awesome! I've actually got another request of a different nature: Would it be possible to have both a weather effect and terrain visible at the same time? Maybe something having the weather on the top half, the terrain on the bottom half, and giving each some sort of alpha gradient so they fade smoothly into each other?

Ridaz

Don't @ me
I'm still trying to figure that one out. I know it's doable, just, not how.

EDIT: Animations of Z-Moves that call specific moves are broken at the moment. Please stand by as we try to fix it

EDIT 2: Fix should be up next client update

Last edited:
Thinking up Acid Downpour's animation was pretty fun. Savage Spin-Out seemed like the hardest animation to design, so I focused on that one next. Here's what I came up with:

The target gets sprayed with webs, like how it is currently (maybe with more webs and/or longer duration). As the webs hit the target, the target becomes a standard white circle. The user then Brave Birds the white circle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)