Move Mastery

An interesting idea, but it needs some refining. For example, shouldn't Pokémon with Synchronize get moves that cause status afflictions relavent to the ability, like Thunderwave, Poison Powder, and Fire Blast?

It also seems like Telepathy should get Ally-affective moves like Explosion and Earthquake, although that may be arguable for a singles format. It should certainly be allowed if this ever goes into doubles.

Abilities like Flash Fire and Fluffy interact with offensive fire-type attacks, but not every fire-type attack qualifies. Sunny Day, for example, doesn't activate Flash Fire. The same can be said of Dry Skin, Volt Absorb, Water Absorb, Lightning Rod, and Storm Drain (Magnet Rise, Eerie Impulse, Rain Dance, Withdraw).

You should probably tie banned abilities to the clause that they fall under, as well. Aerialate, Liquid Voice, and Normalize are allowed, for example, while Pixilate, Galvanize, and Refridgerate are banned. Normalize would allow Delcatty access to every offensive move, at least, and it should probably fall under the Umbrella Clause. I didn't see the clause that caused the differentiation in the other abilities - or even one that would cause Pixilate, Galvanize, and Refridgerate to be banned, however.
for synchronize- no, because status clause. telepathy has previously been answered 2 posts above to fit under damage clause because it blocks any attack aimed at an ally even in doubles. flash fire and fluffy already dont grant the mentioned moves. same goes for the immunity abilities you mentioned. eerie impulse triggers lightningrod so it is granted by it, while magnet rise is not. did you check the link with the movelists? its all there.

normalize already falls under umbrella clause. aerialate was unbanned because it doesnt get given to any base form mons, so nothing can take advantage of it. liquid voice is unrelated to those moves, and only grants sound moves. that being said, its also unreleased.

http://pastebin.com/J0ADe4Sf

edit: regarding synchronize i see what you mean in that it only transmits 3 status conditions. will look into this to see if its banworthy, otherwise will implement

This is a cool meta. I thought up some sets that might be interesting, but I can't be assed to make a big write-up right now so here they are.

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Liquid Voice
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Moonblast
- Parting Shot
- Psychic

Boomburst is obvious, but not as many people know Parting Shot is a sound move, and it gives Primarina momentum capabilities.

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Moonblast
- Steam Eruption
- Psychic

The other flavour of Primarina might be even better. Specs Water Shuriken does a lot of damage, and Steam Eruption is better than Hydro Pump.

Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Shard
- Return
- Earthquake

Here's a little workaround that allows you to get Refrigerate Fake Out. It's still Mega Glalie so it isn't great, though.

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Terrakion finally gets the priority it always wanted. No Gengar or Alakazam shall stand in his path.

Stoutland @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed
- Ice Fang
- High Jump Kick

It's weaker than Gumshoos but it's bulkier, faster, works against Ghost types, and has better coverage.

Swoobat @ Fairium Z
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Stored Power
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast

Swoobat has done it again, folks. After two turns it's at +2/+2/+6/+6/+6.

Cloyster @ White Herb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Shell Smash

Obvious. Some other coverage over Rock Blast might be better.

Cloyster @ White Herb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast Bone Rush / Bullet Seed
- Shell Smash[/hide]
Bone Rush and Bullet Seed provide much better coverage than Rock Blast, with Bone Rush hitting Steels and Bullet Seed hitting bulky Waters.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
And here are my suggestions.
Attacks with negative priority?

All Dark and Fairy attacks?

What's the point? They won't be able to use them.

Also Rain Dance and Sunny Day?

Sleep-inducing moves and Wake-Up Slap?

There are a bunch of Abilities relating to non-volatile status. Rather than allow all moves with a chance of status, perhaps just limit it to status (!) moves? Or maybe just Aromatherapy, Heal Bell and Refresh?

Wake-Up Slap?

Moves with a burn chance?

There are a bunch of Abilities relating to items. Why not give them all the same list that you did for Sticky Hold?

Moves that reduce speed?

Will-O-Wisp?

Aurora Veil, Mist?

Moves that reduce attack?

Hail and Sandstorm?

Moves with a poison chance?

Priority moves? (Compare Dazzling.)

Switching and phazing moves?

Moves with a paralysis chance? Or Glare, at least.

Moves with a flinch chance? (Except, that those are the moves that stench doesn't affect...)

(OKHO... oh, never mind.)

Moves with an increased crit rate?

Moves that reduce speed?

Moves that would hit your ally in Doubles?

Recharge moves?
I disagree with almost everything on this list actually. Most of these seem to be moves that are related, but do not interact directly with the ability in question. For example for Heatproof, Will-O-Wisp burning the Heatproof mon is not effected by Heatproof itself. Heatproof doesn't DO anything until it takes burn damage, at the end of the turn. Run Away may be thematically related to phazing, but has no actual technical relation. I realize this is a pet mod not an om, but if as it seems to me you want to stick with things that are mechanically related (which I would suggest, it will make this cool pet mod less likely to turn into a clusterfuck) I would steer away from things like the above mentioned.

Anyways, some sets
Darmanitan @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Diamond Storm
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn

Gets everything with a secondary effect. Other types worth considering are Ice (Icicle Crash, hits Ground types) or Fairy (Play Rough, hits Dragon types) or half a dozen other things

Nidoking (M) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Flare Blitz

More of the same. Scarf or LO would work on either or these fellas. I nearly put Bulldoze but then I realized that on Scarf EQ is 100% better. Also EQ isn't a terrible move.

Rampardos @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Shadow Bone
- Icicle Crash
- Rock Polish

and another, probably bad.

Bibarel @ Focus Sash
Ability: Simple
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Jet
- Frustration
- Crunch

Derp.

I'll be back to say more tomorrow but now g'night I'm tired bye

Last edited:

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Small question, why do moves like Swarm get only the attacks if Torrent/Blaze etc are listed as all moves?

What about pokemon who had their hability changed upon evolution? I'm assuming they don't keep the moves

That out of the way, hello Explosion Mega Swampert.

Also we can run Oricorio with Quiver/Fiery/Revelation dance. Sure, stat wise it's very meh, but can work. I think that Electric would be the best form to run with this for a Electric/Fire offensive combo. p

where is imposter (ok)

but i think physically defensive levitate bronzong might be nice for the normals
it learns thousand waves, spikes, toxic spikes, sticky web, and other interesting stuff

i cant make sets but maybe

Bronzong @ Leftovers/Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic/Explosion/Thousand Waves
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Heavy Slam

for sticky web and rocks

also there are many more options such as trick room support, resttalk cause idek, spikes and toxic spikes set up...

not great recovery though

EDIT: heavy metal aint too good but heatproof provides v-create, heat crash, and sacred fire for your daily needs

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
Wow, this pet mod looks nice !
I'm a little bored, so i'll just put these two sets here :

Venusaur @ Grassium Z
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Forest's Curse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Seed Flare

First of all, boost your stats and give the opponent a Grass type with Z-Forest's Curse...
Then, you can use Sludge Bomb, or HP Fire if your opponent is a Steel type.
Seed Flare is here for a strong STAB.

Klinklang @ Lum Berry / a Z-Crystal
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Fire Lash / Trop Kick / Play Rough / Defog
- Shadow Bone / Liquidation / Parting Shot

Finally, Klinklang have a movepool !
There's a lot of possibilities for the two last slots.

Last edited:

Klinklang @ Lum Berry / a Z-Crystal
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Fire Lash / Trop Kick / Play Rough / Defog
- Shadow Bone / Liquidation / Parting Shot

Finally, Klinklang have a movepool !
There's a lot of possibilities for the two last slots.
I don't quite understand this pet mod. Why does Klinklang suddenly get access to all of these moves?

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I don't quite understand this pet mod. Why does Klinklang suddenly get access to all of these moves?
All of those moves can lower a stat, and Clear Body interact with moves that lower stat by not letting foe lower your stat. So for example you would never have a Clear Body mon getting it's attack lowered because Lunge was used against it. As all these moves interact with Clear Body, you get access to them

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
A couple of things I'm thinking:

Synchronise: All status moves that cause a major status condition (Toxic, WoW, Thunder Wave)

Wonder Skin: All status moves that don't have 100% accuracy

Galvanize: Why is this banned when Aerilate isn't?

Pixilate: Why is this banned when Aerilate isn't?

Refridgerate: Why is this banned when Aerilate isn't?

Wimp Out/Emergency Exit: Moves that switch the user out? not too sure about this one

and a few sets:

Toxicroak @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Anticipation
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Drain Punch
- Dragon Ascent

Your all round coverage mon, I guess.

Heliolisk @ Life Orb/Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Very fast mon with the ability to spam Steam Eruption and Flamethrower, aswell as pivot out with a Volt switch.

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon

Now it can pivot out with Volt Switch and keep up it's health, becoming a bulky pivot that is very difficult to take down

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Specs Adaptability Boomburst on Porygon-Z. Good god, run!

Carracosta @ Focus Sash
Ability: Solid Rock
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Jet
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

I guess it's your average late game sweeper

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
- Sacred Fire
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough

Nice coverage, and It can spam out attacks like no tomorrow, aswell as sweep

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
- Sacred Fire
- Icicle Crash
- Waterfall
- Play Rough

Massive coverage, and can hit almost anything for SE damage

Last edited:

charizard8888

Catch The Wave
Galvanize: Why is this banned when Aerilate isn't?

Pixilate: Why is this banned when Aerilate isn't?

Refridgerate: Why is this banned when Aerilate isn't?
Aerilate is not banned because it just prevents Mega Pinsir from being used and only two Megas (Pinsir and Salamence get this ability) so it doesn't make any difference.
Q: How does move granting work with Mega Evolution?
A: The pokemon with the mega stone will be granted moves from the ability of its base form. When it mega evolves, it will retain those moves, but it can't be given moves based on its mega evolved form in the teambuilder. For instance, Mega Beedrill can learn Megahorn, not because of Adaptability but because of Swarm on regular Beedrill. Mega Beedrill cannot learn Gunk Shot.
About the other abilities
A couple of things I'm thinking:

Synchronise: All status moves that cause a major status condition (Toxic, WoW, Thunder Wave)

Wonder Skin: All status moves that don't have 100% accuracy

Wimp Out/Emergency Exit: Moves that switch the user out? not too sure about this one
Yeah Synchronize should be getting all the major status causing moves and all status moves with imperfect accuracy for Wonder Skin, not sure about Wimp Out/Emergency Exit though.

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
Aerilate is not banned because it just prevents Mega Pinsir from being used and only two Megas (Pinsir and Salamence get this ability) so it doesn't make any difference.
Galvanize is only for Gololan Golem though, and refrigerate is only for Aurorus and Mega Glalie (Both kinda suck), and pixilate is only on Mega Gardevoir, Gallade and Sylveon. So the same argument can be made there too

Galvanize is only for Gololan Golem though, and refrigerate is only for Aurorus and Mega Glalie (Both kinda suck), and pixilate is only on Mega Gardevoir, Gallade and Sylveon. So the same argument can be made there too

What charizard means is that it literally doesn't make any difference with Aerilate, as the only Pokemon that have it can't even use it.

Aerodactyl @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Head Smash
- Brave Bird
- Wood Hammer
- Flare Blitz

Neat set I thought up. Hits hard while recovering any damage dealt. You could have a Life Orb to boost output but I personally prefer Leftovers.

Don't think I've seen anyone post this set:
Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
So that's cool. But ready for the most broken thing ever?

This gets insomnia, so all sleep moves. Including Spore. And what does mega Banette get for an ability? Prankster. Tl;dr: Banette gets Prankster Spore.

*Ahem* Hello.
I am obsessed with the ability Flower Veil. Unfortunately, it has no use except in multiples settings and OMs.
I have noticed some patterns (and breaks in pattern) of Pokémon with this ability:
Both have access to Grassy Terrain and Flower Shield, and are Fairy Type (thus unaffected by their own ability).

Comfey @ Normalium Z
Ability: Triage, Flower Veil, Natural Cure
Type: Fairy
Egg group: Grass
(Comfey is the ONLY Pokémon in the Grass group that is not Grass type! What the Florges, Gen 7?!)
- Camouflage
- Grassy Terrain
- Flower Shield
- Z-Celebrate

Well, that's all for that. I'm not that good at constructing stuff, but I thought this was worth mentioning. Florges already has access to Camouflage and Grassy Terrain.
Now on to Triage:

Comfey @ a Z-Crystal
Ability: Triage, Flower Veil, Natural Cure
- Leech Seed
- Grassy Terrain
- Aromatherapy/Heal Bell
- Psych Up

Some of these moves have the [Z-]effect of recovery, but are not prioritized by Triage. The Move Mastery effect would boost the priority of these moves.
That's all.

(Contrary) + moves such as Overheat, Superpower (legal with Rapid Spin on Spinda), Psycho Boost, and Ice Hammer: Thanks to Contrary, these can boost whatever stat they what. Do you want a special Malamar? Psycho Boost and Overheat, dude! Want a Spinda with better coverage for Fighting-types? Got you covered with Dragon Ascent! Want an even more broken Serperior? Do Overheat and Ice Hammer strike your fancy?

Much to the name of its Ability, it Lurantis contradicts the pre-established pattern that Contrary Pokémon cannot learn more than one attack with the primary effect of dropping a stat value.
This Pokémon can already learn both Superpower and Leaf Storm, granting it balanced coverage. However, it's slow. I would add it to the list, since it's just begging for Hammer Arm and V-Create.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
So I looked through the ability list and noticed there a lot of discrepancies and exceptions that I believe should be corrected. OP, take these suggestions at your leisure. Everyone else, comment on this list and give suggestions.

All -ates: Gives you all normal moves like Aerilate does.
Analytic: Gives you moves that get some kind of boost for being slow/will almost always go last (Gyro Ball, phasing attacks like Dragon Tail and Storm Throw, etc.)
Battery: All special attacks (the only mon that gets it is motherfucking Charjabug, I highly doubt it'll be OP)
Berserk: All special attacks (Is this specifically to jerk off Drampa? Yes. Will it be OP? Unlikely. Drampa is slow and frail, and its pool of viable moves will probably be a lot smaller than you think due to meta trends and some moves not really doing a whole lot for it.)
Cloud Nine: Moves that summon/are affected by weather
Defeatist: All moves that lower stats
Download: Moves that boost either Attack stat
Drizzle: All Water moves + Weather Ball (Its two setters are both defensive, the only tangible improvement for them is Steam Eruption)
Drought: All Fire moves + Weather Ball
Early Bird: Sleep-inducing moves (it works this way for Insomnia sooo)
Effect Spore: Status-inducing moves
Emergency Exit: Moves that switch out the user
Flame Body: Moves that can inflict burns
Flower Veil: Moves that inflict status or lower stats
Forecast: All moves affected in some way by weather (it's god damn Castform, there's no way it could possibly be broken)
Forewarn: Any attacks stronger than the highest BP move the user can naturally learn.
Gooey: All moves that lower speed
Healer: Any moves that heal/remove status
Hydration: Rain Dance
Illusion: All moves naturally learned by the Pokemon in the last slot of your party in teambuilding
Intimidate: All moves that lower the foe's Attack
Leaf Guard: Sunny Day
Long Reach: All contact moves
Magnet Pull: All Steel-type moves
Marvel Scale: All moves that inflict status or raise the user's Defense
Mold Breaker: All moves that ignore/suppress abilities (Gastro Acid, Photon Geyser, Core Enforcer, etc.)
Multitype/RKS System: User can use all moves of the type it is set to.
Normalize: All attacks affected by it (its sole user is Delcatty, at worst it would be a better Smeargle)
Pickpocket: All contact moves, but only if it isn't holding an item to begin with
Sand Stream: Weather Ball
Snow Warning: Blizzard + Weather Ball
Stall: Gives you moves that get some kind of boost for being slow/will almost always go last (Gyro Ball, phasing attacks like Dragon Tail and Storm Throw, etc.)
Sturdy: Endure
Super Luck: All attacks with increased crit ratios
Wonder Guard: All moves this mon is weak to (Why is it banned? Shedinja is fine on its own, and I don't think a few new moves would really change that a lot)

Some of those are a little confusing... tell me if this is better wording.
Galvanize, Aerilate, Refrigerate, Pixilate: All Normal-type and Same-type moves
Analytic: Grants access to moves that are boosted for hitting last, or almost always go last (e.g. Gyro Ball, Payback, Metal Burst, etc., and negative priority attacks, i.e. Dragon Tail and Circle Throw, Vital Throw, Avalanche, Revenge, Counter, Focus Punch, Beak Blast, Mirror Coat, Shell Trap)
Battery: All special attacks (the only Pokémon with this Ability is Charjabug)
Berserk: All special attacks (Is this specifically to jerk off Drampa? Yes. Will it be OP? Unlikely. Drampa is slow and frail, and its pool of viable moves will probably be a lot smaller than you think due to meta trends and some moves not really doing a whole lot for it.)
Cloud Nine: Moves that summon/are affected by weather
Defeatist: All moves with the effect of lowering the user's stat stages (like has been done for Contrary)
Download: Choice of moves that boost either Atk or SpA (but not both)
Drizzle: All Water moves + Weather Ball (Its two setters are both defensive, the only tangible improvement for them is Steam Eruption)
Drought: All Fire moves + Weather Ball
Early Bird: Sleep-inducing moves (it works this way for Insomnia sooo)
Effect Spore: Status-inducing moves
Emergency Exit/Wimp Out: U-Turn, Volt Switch, Parting Shot, Baton Pass (Golisopod and Wimpod don't pose any threats, except maybe with Parting Shot)
Flame Body: Will-O-Wisp and moves with a secondary effect chance to Burn (Tri-Attack included)
Flower Veil: Moves inflicting status or lower stats (with base power below 100, because Inferno Zap Cannon Focus Punch) and change type, (i.e. Camouflage, Reflect Type, Soak, Trick-Or-Treat, Forest's Curse), Hex, Venoshock, Smelling Salts, Wake-Up Slap, and all Terrain-setting moves
Forecast: All moves affected by weather (except Sandstorm) e.g. Solar Beam, Solar Blade (considering it's just Castform, it won't be broken)
Forewarn: Any attacks with higher base power than the move of highest fixed base power in the species' natural learnset (that are also compatible with this Ability in the Generation for which they could learn that move).
Gooey: All moves guaranteed to lower speed, be it the user's or the target's
Healer: Any moves that heal/remove status, including Psycho Shift
Hustle: All Physical moves with reduced accuracy (really, this isn't that bad)
Hydration: Rain Dance
Illusion: Empty slots will be replaced with moves from the move set of the last healthy Pokémon its party arrangement
Intimidate: All moves that lower a target's Atk stat stage, and Will-O-Wisp (85% accurate, this is not OP)
Leaf Guard: Sunny Day
Long Reach: All contact moves (not bad because it's only the Rowlet evolution line)
Magnet Pull: All moves that are super-effective against Steel
Marvel Scale: All Status moves that inflict status or raise the user's Defense
Metalworker: All Steel-type moves
Mold Breaker: All moves that ignore/suppress abilities (Gastro Acid, Photon Geyser, Core Enforcer, Sunsteel Strike, Moongeist Beam, Simple Beam, Worry Seed)
Multitype/RKS System: User can use all moves of the type it is set to.
Normalize: All attacks with a fixed Type, and Revelation Dance (its sole user is Delcatty/Skitty, the most effective it would be is a better Smeargle)
Pickpocket: All contact moves, but only if it has no initial held item
Power of Alchemy/Receiver: All abilities can be received by any fainted ally, not just adjacent ones
Sand Stream: Weather Ball
Snow Warning: Blizzard + Weather Ball
Stall: Gives you moves that get some kind of boost for being slow/will almost always go last (Gyro Ball, phasing attacks like Dragon Tail and Storm Throw, etc.)
Sturdy: Endure, Partial dodge moves (e.g. Dig, Dive, Phantom Force, Shadow Force, Fly, Bounce, Sky Drop)
Super Luck: All attacks with increased crit ratios, Focus Energy, and moves with Z-Effect achieving the Focus Energy effect
Unnerve: Moves affecting Berries (i.e. Bug Bite, Pluck, Incinerate, Belch, Natural Gift)
Wonder Guard: All moves this Pokémon (Shedinja) is weak to (except Status)

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Can we please revive this as a standard OM? This idea is gold and way too good to be left to die like this. Besides, I don't really think this fits as a Pet Mod.
This idea unfortunately doesn't fit the definition of an Other Metagame, specifically because what moves "interact" with your ability is rather up to interpretation with no real hard and fast way to judge.

It's one of those ideas that sits in the space between Pet Mods and OMs, and doesn't really fit perfectly in either category.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)