I'd say the same applies to college.. going to a totally new place, with totally new people. They may already have their own networks of friends, but that doesn't mean they won't welcome new people. Just be yourself, and be open to new relationships :D

Are there any student organizations you could look into?

Definitely keep in touch with old friends, it wouldn't take too much of your time. It also makes for a good support network if you haven't quite settled comfortably in your new place.

Facebook came out in my freshman year of college, so not sure how its affecting the high school scene @__@; But I guess look into that too? ^^;

If you don't mind me asking, what part of VA are you going to? I've lived here my whole life. It's not that bad, so don't worry too much ^_^;

I'd say the same applies to college.. going to a totally new place, with totally new people.
I disagree. College you've got hundreds, if not thousands of people who are new and looking to make new friends. If you come to a school in the middle of a year, that's a very different situation.

Currently I am 18 years old, and I have lived in roughly 10 different houses. I was born in New Jersey, at age 3 moved to California and then moved 2-3 times within California, then moved to Oregon, moved 2 times within there, then moved back to New Jersey, where I have been for 9 years. Yes I have moved while in the middle of the school year, but for me moving was a natural thing, and making new friends all the time was something I got used to, so I really never thought much of it. Kind of sad actually I got used to leaving good friends behind, but whatever.

Just recently my Dad got a job offer in California, so It looks like my family is set to move back to California now, but this time I am in College so I will not be making the trip, too many good friends here I can't bear to leave behind.

As for your situation, it's going to be tough and it is going to suck for a while, but in the age we live in keeping in touch with people is very easy, facebook, aim, texting, etc. As for making new friends, be open and don't be shy, people are usually sympathetic towards the new guy, so just act like yourself and you'll make friends pretty quickly.

Well, I moved from Miami, FL, to Central FL after living in Miami from the time I was born (I was 14), so I kinda know the feeling. I didn't start school in the middle of the year, exactly, but it was in for quite a bit. I actually made friends quite easily, to my surprise (I'm typically a fairly shy person). The whole "new kid" thing worked wonders for me. Within a month into my school year, I knew practically half, or even more, of my whole pool of 8th grade peers. I guess my advice would be to:

1. Be youself
2. Try to keep a conversation going instead of "yea my name is..."and then shut up. Although, most people will do thet for you lol.
3. Don't worry; worrying just makes you seem desperate and just adds to the stress you're already having from making such a large move and having to go to a new school.

I can't think of much else atm, but I hope I helped and good luck!

I've moved once but when I was a little younger. The only advice I have for you is to be totally receptive to anyone you meet at your new school/location. It's surprisingly easy to figure out exactly who you like/don't like, and you'll adapt just perfectly. This year we had three new people join our class, and within a couple weeks they're just one of the dudes in the group. Be confident without being a douche, and you'll be okay. Also, Facebook helps a ton with communicating with old friends, but it's a remarkably easy way to meet new people at your school, too.

Good luck with the move and in the future!

I disagree. College you've got hundreds, if not thousands of people who are new and looking to make new friends. If you come to a school in the middle of a year, that's a very different situation.
I said -right- after that:
They may already have their own networks of friends, but that doesn't mean they won't welcome new people.
I guess I meant, some people are already in their own cliques... whether it's high school or college... but they're not totally closed off, so don't be demoralized :<
I may be new here but... I'd think it'd be nice to at least try to give some advice, rather than post just to say that I'm wrong >.<
I mean, that's kind of a downer to the OP..
Trying to be encouraging here T__T But sorry if I mislead you..

Shouldn't the thread be about "how to keep them from moving"
I know this sounds selfish, because of your dad's job and all, but if you want to stay you need to make your point across, not just start wondering how you'll start all over again in another place.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
I've moved twice in my life once when I was six, and once when I was in grade six. Both times luckily for me were just moving around the neighborhood, so I've been in riverdale my whole life. Unfortunately both times my the houses I was moving into were under renovations which kinda sucked. Both times getting used to a new house was kinda weird, but my current house is a heluva lot nicer than my first house.

I'm actually moving at the end of this month too, but just basically 5 miles away to be closer to family. I'll still be going to the same school too, so I won't be losing any friends, just some neighbors :P Before this I've only moved once in my life. I've lived in my house for 10 years and before that I moved from Singapore

Keep in touch with your old friends through Email, facebook, etc. I agree with pretty much what Flamewheeler said. To make new friends, open up but make sure to be yourself as well. And don't worry too much, just try to settle in first.

I've moved about eight times since grade school (and those are just the ones I remember), but second grade (1994-95) was particularly weird for me. I was just chillin' at one elementary school for my first two years of school, but then my parents divorced and I got in the middle of a custody battle. Before my second grade started that September, my father took me and moved to a different place about 50 miles away from my old school. I actually changed schools twice during those next two months. It was awkward for me to try and make friends at those new schools because I had no idea if I was going to stay there.

Then, in February, the custody battle was resolved and I got to live with my mother. I moved back to the city I was living in before the divorce and went back to that first elementary school. That was a really strange year on all counts. I was fortunate to be able to see all of my old friends again, but it certainly seems that others here haven't been so lucky.

I don't think I have any advice for you other than what's been said here. I just wanted to share an experience involving divorce because divorce can really be a bitch when it causes little kids to move from place to place. It can be a jarring experience, and perhaps the best thing you could do to cope is to go with the flow. That's what did it for me, anyway.

Honestly? I don't bother with making new friends, and haven't in any meaningful form since I was about thirteen. I use the Internet instead; meet friends on there, go and see them, move vaguely closer to them so I can see them more.

Blackhawk11

one on one
OP: I'm gonna start by apologizing about the length, it's just that I know a bit about this topic and I know how much you're stressing right now.

I was in a similar (though pretty different, since I didn't relocate) situation 2.5 years ago. I moved from my tiny little private school to the big public school in my district. Like, class size of 14 to class size of >300. And I only knew four people in my grade. Through various connections such as soccer and riding the bus home from school, I met a lot of people who I'm now very good friends with.

The key is put yourself out there. Make it so that people want to be your friend. You definately have something going for you since you're the 'new kid,' so use that to your advantage, you'll find somebody who will pity (for lack of a better word) you and talk to you a bit. If you aren't involved in sports, join a club. Find something you like to do and join it. This is really, really good advice. You have to put yourself in a setting where people can talk to you casually. The bus is another good one. If you're in an area where you can ride the bus home from school, do it (at least ride a few times to find out if there are kids your age on it, if there's nobody your age and your parent is willing to pick you up, that's probably better, I used to talk about my day to my mom on the way home from school when she occasionally picked me up). I'll be honest and now that I drive to school, I kinda miss being able to talk to people for 20 minutes on the ride home.

Another trick I learned is talk to the people next to you in class. If you're smart, make sure you help people when they don't understand things. If you don't understand something, ask people around you before going to the teacher (as long as the teacher isn't super strict, but even then there can't possibly be any teacher in the world who would still be mad if you explain that you're trying to fit in and make friends).

Next tip: lunch. In the summer before I switched schools, I went to an all-day soccer camp where I didn't know anybody. This is quite different than being in school, but the principle is the same. I talked with somebody while we were waiting to get subbed into a small-sided match. Afterwards I sat with him and his friend at lunch, then chilled with them after lunch until the next session. So find somebody at lunch from one of your classes who looks decent enough to sit with and ask if you can sit at his table (at my school, specific 3rd period classes go to one of three lunches, so if your school system works like this and you get lucky enough to not have the lunch period that comes before the class, it is easiest to find somebody in that class and walk to lunch with them, so you don't have to search for them in the lunchroom). At first it's gonna be awkward, but things will get better, trust me. Once you get to lunch, make sure you join the conversation every now and then. If you're shy I know you just want to sit there and eat, but that won't do you any good. Figure out what sports teams people like in Virginia (Pittsburgh is close by in PA, and the Steelers are in the NFL playoffs currently, I'll bet people there will be fans), and have a couple jabs at the Lions ready and waiting. (At least they did better this year; next year we're gonna have another draft pick to screw up; now I don't have to root for them solely because they're the hometeam; etc). And most importantly, make sure you know your story, aka, be ready to answer this question: "Hey man, where ya from?" (if you're from a suburb, relate it to a big city. i.e., 'I'm from <city>, that's near Lansing/Detroit/Ann Arbor' or 'It's about here [point to location on your hand like a true L.P. Michigander]/I'm from the U.P., and explain what it means to be a true Yooper.), and the subsequent question: "Why'd ya move?" Those will probably be asked of you many times, especially since you're coming in the middle of the year when it's obvious you're new.

Teachers are there for you. Talk to your first hour teacher to make sure you know where all of your classes are. If you're having trouble fitting in for whatever reason, talk to the teacher. I bet the teacher knows his/her students well enough to figure out who you could be friends with. A girl who just moved to my school was placed in my first period, and the teacher put her schedule under the projecter and asked who had any classes with her, so that they could show her where to go and talk with her some.

Keep in contact with your old friends. If you don't have a cell phone *gasp* this is a perfect excuse for your parents to buy you one. If your parents won't let you get a Facebook, this is how you get one. You need to contact your friends, period. They will understand. If you're a low-tech family or you're moving to an area where there isn't phone/internet service, write a letter to some friends telling them how much VA sucks compared to Michigan.

Last thing, cause I think this post is getting a little long. Don't be a jerk to people you just met. First impression is HUGE. I think I made a mistake at my school by being a little too quiet, however I've worked most of that out in the last 2 years. Being a jerk isn't something you can just work out by talking to people all of a sudden. If you act dumb and people don't want to be around you, they'll stay away. It happened to a kid I know. He came to my school this year and tried out for soccer. Remembering the position I was in two years ago, I talked to him, partnered up with him for drills, etc, because I remember how bad it sucked not knowing anybody and needing to find a partner. Then school started and he acted like he was king of the world and tormented everybody, in addition to being constantly annoying. I'm not sure if he realizes yet that very few people like being around him (for what I know, I haven't had a conversation with him in awhile).

Ok, one more quick thing. Don't stress about it. It will be fine. It will stop being awkward. You will make friends. Most importantly, if all else fails, you've at least got your dad (and whatever other family you have, all you mentioned in your post was dad) waiting at home.

So tl;dr, talk to people, find ways to meet people, but don't overdo it.

EDIT: Since you're posting on a Pokemon forum and I assume that you play Pokemon, I'm just gonna remind you of one simple fact: You don't play Pokemon. Unless you're cool with letting everyone's first impression of you being 'that Pokemon nerd,' I'd keep your (hypothetical) discussion of why Suicune is superior to Swampert to yourself.

EDIT2:
The Quiff said:
It also doesn't help that I now live in what is essentially God's waiting room.
Ahahaha that's what my great grandma called it. She refused to live in Florida.

I didn't move house until I was 18, so it came as a real shock to the system. I still feel the remnants of that shock: I still don't really know anyone here at all.

It also doesn't help that I now live in what is essentially God's waiting room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)