Mr. Mime[GP 2/2]

wow soz i'm lazy
So as I did in the RU revamp, I'm gonna remove offensive np (jynx says hai and stuff)
[Overview]

• Mediocre Pokemon in the metagame
  • Has a decent niche in Baton Pass, along with moves such as Nasty Plot and Encore
  • Rather outclassed by most Psychic-types, and is mostly passed in favor of them
  • Poor physical bulk+pursuit weakness, but has baton pass to get around it
[SET]
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Nasty Plot
move 3: Substitute / Encore
move 4: Psychic
item: Leftovers
ability: Filter
nature: Timid
evs: 144 HP / 112 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• Two great abilities along with Baton Pass and boosting moves makes Mr. Mime a great Baton Passer
  • Baton Pass duh
  • Baton pass can also be used for dry-passing to maintain momentum
  • Nasty Plot gives it an immediate boost to bp
  • Substitute protects it from status and Dragon Tail phazing and can be passed to a frailer partner essentially granting it a free switchin, Encore gives setup opportunities, disrupts momentum and can also allow free switchins
  • Psychic prevents it from being taunt bait and lets it take advantage of np boosts
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • EV spread prevents dtail licki and defensive probo's power gem from breaking subs letting it set up also it outspeeds base 80's, also speed tie w/ max speed zangoose
  • Filter is preferred to take stuff like uturn
  • Soundproof mention
  • Calm Mind lets it set up against various special attackers
  • Pokemon that can take advantage of Nasty Plot boosts, such as Charizard and Jynx, make for great partners
  • Salac Berry can be used in conjunction with sub, and lum berry in conjunction with encore

[Other Options]
  • Dual screens+encore+bp
  • Taunt prevents status and block setup, but both the support moves do that
  • Technician+Charge beam
  • Icy Wind and 60 BP Hidden Powers for above
  • Choice item+trick
  • Signal Beam, shadow ball, thunderbolt and focus blast are good coverage moves
  • Confuse Ray, twave and TR can be used as support moves
[Checks and Counters]
  • Taunt completely prevents mr mime from doing anything. However, mimey can still use its nasty plot boost if it has gotten it to hit hard
  • Mandibuzz can Taunt, hit it with Foul Play, and phaze it
  • Liepard shits over it, can also encore it into a support move while being immune to psychic and pursuit trap ofc
  • Metang
  • Scolipede and Swellow can easily hit it hard with their powerful STAB attacks
  • Adding stuff later /lazy

[Overview]

<p>With mostly average stats across the board and a horrible defensive typing that gives it a Pursuit weakness, Mr. Mime is a very mediocre Pokemon in the NU metagame. Even though its Special Defense is respectable, most of the time it is outclassed by its competitors; Musharna performs a support role better, while Gardevoir and Kadabra perform an offensive role better. However, its access to Baton Pass and support options such as Nasty Plot and Encore let it carve itself a niche as a Baton Passer. However, keep in mind that for any other purpose you are generally better off using one of the other Psychic-types in the tier.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a choice of two great abilities along with Baton Pass and a range of boosting moves, Mr. Mime is quite the Baton Passer. Baton Pass is a necessary and obvious move on this set, and Mr. Mime can use it to pass boosts to a teammate, as well as being able to dry-pass to maintain momentum and escape Pursuit from Skuntank, one of the premier users of Pursuit and Taunt in the tier. Keep in mind, however, that Mr. Mime will not be able to escape from pivot Liepard due to priority Encore, letting it trap Mr. Mime with Pursuit if you predict wrongly. Nasty Plot is the boosting option of choice as it allows Mr. Mime to grant an immediate +2 Special Attack boost to something that can make better use of it. Substitute is preferred to avoid status and provide an essentially free switch in for a teammate if Mr. Mime Baton Passes with the Substitute intact. Encore can be used instead to provide setup opportunities for Mr. Mime. In the last slot, Psychic is necessary to prevent Mr. Mime from becoming Taunt bait, as well as to giving Mr. Mime the option to utilize the Nasty Plot boosts itself.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread means that Mr. Mime's Substitutes cannot be broken by support Lickilicky's Dragon Tail or defensive Probopass's Power Gem, letting it set up on these Pokemon with ease. Filter is the ability of choice, as it lets Mr. Mime take super effective moves such as U-turns and Shadow Balls more effectively, the latter being especially important as Mr. Mime can 2HKO defensive Misdreavus with +2 Psychic, while Misdreavus cannot 2HKO back. Soundproof can be used instead to let Mr. Mime ignore Roar and Perish Song, both of which are irritating for a Baton Passer, but it's rather unreliable in terms of effectiveness; while it can indeed set up on some users of these moves, such as Camerupt, Bastiodon, and Eelektross, it also loses to other Pokemon such as Misdeavus, Mandibuzz, and Zweilous. Calm Mind is a fine alternative to Nasty Plot in order to let Mr. Mime set up against special attackers more easily, but Mr. Mime prefers the immediate boost from Nasty Plot most of the time, and is outclassed by Musharna in this role. While Leftovers is typically the best item in order to offset Substitute damage, Salac Berry can be used in conjunction with Substitute to boost Mr. Mime's Speed in a pinch and either Baton Pass to a teammate or sweep on its own. On a similar note, Lum Berry can be used in conjunction with Encore to shrug off status that would otherwise cripple Mr. Mime. </p>

<p>Pokemon that can utilize said Nasty Plot boosts to sweep, such as Charizard and Kadabra, make for great partners. Fighting-type Pokemon also make for good partners, being able to defeat most of the Dark-types that give Mr. Mime trouble. Pokemon such as Ludicolo and Seismitoad can be a threatening force under rain, and even more so after being Baton Passed a Nasty Plot boost, making them excellent partners too. As Mr. Mime can Baton Pass Special Attack boosts to it, Victreebel does not need to waste a slot for Growth, and can afford to run more coverage. It is also a threatening sweeper under harsh sunlight.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A dual screens set along with Encore and Baton Pass can be used to provide utility and preserve momentum. Taunt can prevent status and stop the opponent from using Mr. Mime as setup bait, but both the moves in the third slot of the set can do either, and more besides. Mr. Mime can use its hidden ability, Technician, with moves such as Magical Leaf, Icy Wind, and 60 Base Power Hidden Powers, but as previously mentioned, is typically wasted as an offensive threat. A Choice item can be used in conjunction with Trick, but this deviates from Mr. Mime's niche. Signal Beam, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, and Focus Blast are good coverage moves which Mr. Mime can utilize, but it is hard-pressed for moveslots as it is. Confuse Ray, Thunder Wave, and Trick Room are support moves that Mr. Mime can use, but it cannot utilize these moves very efficiently compared to other Pokemon.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Taunt is a great stop to anything Mr. Mime can do if it hasn't already used Nasty Plot. However, if it is at +2 and Taunted, it can still hit the opponent hard with Psychic. As far as Pokemon go, Mandibuzz is a full stop to Mr. Mime, as it can Taunt it, hit it with Foul Play or Brave Bird, and Whirlwind it out to render its boosts useless. Liepard can come in on any move, use Encore on Mr. Mime, and then can Pursuit trap it. Even though Skuntank can Taunt it and trap it with Pursuit, Mr. Mime is faster and can Baton Pass out; however, none of the typical recipients of its boosts like taking a STAB Sucker Punch at all. Metang can easily take even boosted Psychics and can hit it hard with STAB Meteor Mash. Tauros and Swellow can easily hit Mr. Mime hard with their powerful STAB moves; however, keep in mind that if Mr. Mime is behind a Substitute, it can do considerable damage to them on the counter-attack.</p>

Last edited by a moderator:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Since you're still working on this, you need to put "WIP" in the title to reflect that.

In the meantime, here's what I think the set should be:

[SET]
ability: Soundproof
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

CM in AC because Nasty Plot is better for boosting faster / passing bigger boosts. Sub and Encore should be the only moves in the third slot, since Barrier just sucks and Sub > Taunt. Max SpA investment so Mimey can double as an offensive threat if need be (though a more complex one with HP investment might be in order; idk though since I can't run calcs atm) and Soundproof is the best ability b/c you're immune to Roar + Perish Song, which is awesome for a Baton Passer.

Implement pls Kingler12345

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Mr. Mime could have a bulky pivot set. I know that it is mostly outclassed by Mushy at this but it does have perks like Filter and Confuse Ray. I like it at least! :(

Blast

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not a full check, but now that I take a second look at this, Filter is probably the way to go here. It lets you take Shadow Balls from Missy and U-turns from Primeape, which is pretty cool.

Also I think the EV spread should be changed to 144 HP / 112 SpA / 252 Spe. The HP EVs let your Sub survive Licky's Dragon Tail and defensive Probopass's Power Gem so you can set up on them. The SpA EVs are used to 2HKO Missy with a +2 Psychic, as well as OHKO Tangela with the same after rocks.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In general, Filter is probably the better ability for Mime for the reasons Dat Blast listed (I think the EV spread he listed is fine). I want a special mention of Soundroof in AC, but specify that it is best used on a Baton Pass chain type team, where they can actually use Baton Pass on the predicted Roar/Perish Song (except from Murkrow) and pass to Mr. Mime.

K whitedmist
Oh yeah and the written up points will be quite a lot more extensive than this, atm im just lazy

Last edited:

Blast

[Overview]
  • In the second point, remove the mention of CM b/c it's not on the full set anymore.
  • You need to mention Mimey's negatives (other than competition), such as its crappy physical bulk and Pursuit weakness (which Filter can't save).
[SET COMMENTS]
  • Mention that Baton Pass can be used early-game for dry passing, so you can gain momentum.
  • Mention that Subs can also be passed to teammates for further support, while Encore can disrupt momentum and allow free switch-ins.
  • Explain what Psychic does: prevents Mimey from being Taunt bait and lets it take advantage of its own NP boosts if it needs to.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Defensive Probo, not offensive.
  • Merge the first and fourth points together since they both explain the EV spread.
  • Mention Salac and Lum Berry here; Salac can be used with Sub to pass Speed boosts, while Lum can be used with Encore to let you set up against status with less fear.
[Other Options]
  • Add Dual Screens I suppose, you can disrupt momentum with Encore and maybe dry pass after setting up.
  • Put Taunt here for to block status and prevent setup, but mention that Sub and Encore can already do this. Taunt is decent in the sense that it can do both at the same time, but the other two moves have more utility.
  • Add T-bolt to the list of coverage moves.
  • Mr. Mime actually has a reeaaally wide movepool, so it's probably worth looking into it to see what's cool enough to be mentioned here. I'll leave that up to you, though. :)
[Checks and Counters]
  • This section needs a LOT of work. Cut the mention of Jynx and Exeggutor since they're really random and really aren't counters. Cut the mention of D-Tail Licky b/c the given EV spread sets up all over it. Instead, say how physical attackers can often force Mimey out due to its terrible physical bulk. Taunt can prevent Mimey from boosting / Baton Passing and essentially doing its job. Also mention Metang since it takes shit from Psychic, and can hurt it with Meteor Mash while also having Bullet Punch to pick off a weakened one. I'm not gonna specifically point out everything since you can probably figure out this stuff yourself, but you need to add a lot more stuff here.

Last edited:

Blast

[Overview]
  • Tie in the second and third points to say it "Has a decent niche in Baton Pass, along with moves such as Nasty Plot and Encore." Don't mention Taunt because it's not on the full set.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Also say max Speed Timid is vital to tie w/ Zangoose.
[Checks and Counters]
  • Physical attackers go here as checks, esp. faster ones like Swellow or Scolipede. Priority users also get a mention to kill it at low health.
  • Remove Skunk, Mimey plays around it with Speed + Baton Pass to avoid Pursuit / Taunt.
Do all this and QC Approved 1/3

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mandibuzz goes in CC, it forces Mr. Mime to immediately Baton Pass or risk a Taunt. It can also carry Whirlwind to render Mr. Mime's boosts useless. I'll look into this more when I have time.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
I think it would be better to combine the first two points about its letdowns and then specifically mention how the Psychic-type Pokemon that rival it make it a lesser choice in a following sentence. For example you can make the first sentence talk about its average stats, awful physical bulk, and Pursuit weakness making it mediocre like you did in the first two sentence, but then separate the mentions of its competition in the sentence after it. Specifically mention how Musharna outdoes Mr. Mime in pure support roles and how Jynx and Gardevoir outdo it in pure offensive roles. The parallels to Jynx/Gardy I feel are pretty important to have.

[Set Comments]
Looks pretty good, just remove mentions of "for the nth slot" and just go straight to talking about the moves. I think specifically mentioning how Baton Pass escapes Skuntank would be good too since it allows Mr. Mime to not be fodder to Skuntank, one of the most prevalent Taunt and Pursuit users in the tier. (Still forced out but better than just straight dying)

[Additional Comments]
When mentioning Filter I think it would be better to mention Shadow Ball and U-turn rather than than U-turn and Pursuit as you shouldn't be having to take Pursuits when you have Baton Pass and Shadow Ball is actually pretty relevant since Filter allows Mr. Mime to take on defensive Misdreavus quite well. (+2 Psychic 2HKOes while its Shadow Ball doesn't. If you NP as Missy switches in you'll have KOed it and have more than half your health left which is a pretty good trade off)

I think you should elaborate more on Soundproof than what you have now. I would say it's more of a hit or miss ability, with it working extremely well vs some users and being pretty useless vs others. For example Roar Bastiodon cannot touch Sub Soundproof Mr. Mime whatsoever and just becomes huge set up fodder while something like Roar Zweilous just walls it completely and can still Dragon Tail to phaze or Crunch it to death. The match up vs Missy is somewhat 50/50 since Mr. Mime actually wins even without Filter if it gets off the Nasty Plot as Missy comes in. Roar Eelektross and Camerupt lose to Mr. Mime since they cannot do enough damage before Mr. Mime KOes with Psychic. That and against something like Whirlwind Mandibuzz, Soundproof is completely useless.

On the mention of CM passing, Musharna honestly does better than Mr. Mime for this, so that's something to add. Give Ludicolo and Seismitoad a mention as NP recipients as +2 Colo/Seis under Rain is extremely threatening, especially when you can't revenge it with Scarf Pokemon unlike Zard or Jynx. While you're at it Victreebel would be a pretty good choice as well since it can Sunny Day and make use of its +2 without having to waste a slot on Growth.

[Checks and Counters]
Add Skuntank as a counter as Mr. Mime can't hurt it at all and is forced to Baton Pass whether it has boosts or not. None of the recipients really like taking a Crunch + Sucker Punch combo either (In fact none of the mons you have listed as partners can lol)

Kingler12345 Tag me back when you finish implementing and I can stamp. :)

Reactions: DTC

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[AC]
Missy doesn't just not OHKO back, it can't 2HKO Filter Mime back either. So replace OHKO with 2HKO. You mention Camerupt twice, one of them should be Eelektross.

Just look over it and fix any grammatical errors you find. Especially in the Overview.

QC Approved 3/3

Reactions: DTC

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
REMOVE
ADD
COMMENT

[Overview]

<p>With average stats across the board barring Special Defense, a horrible defensive typing, and its poor physical bulk combined with its a Pursuit weakness [got to be honest, "horrible defensive typing" and "Pursuit weakness" could be a combined statement, as could "average stats" and "poor physical bulk" since at the moment it reads rather strangely. I haven't changed it as there's nothing technically wrong with it, but maybe consider rewording it a little], Mr. Mime is a very mediocre Pokemon in the NU metagame. Most of the time it is outclassed by its competitors; Musharna performs a support role better, while Gardevoir and Jynx perform an offensive role better. However, its access to Baton Pass and support options such as Nasty Plot and Encore let it carve itself a niche as that of a Baton Passer. However, keep in mind that for any other purpose you are generally better off using one of the other Psychic-types in the tier.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a choice of two great abilities along with Baton Pass and a range of boosting moves, Mr. Mime is quite the Baton Passer. Baton Pass is a necessary and obvious move on this set, and Mr. Mime can use it to pass passing boosts to a teammate, as well as being able to dry-pass to maintain momentum and escape Pursuit from Skuntank, one of the premier users of Pursuit and Taunt in the tier. Keep in mind, however, that Mr. Mime will not be able to escape from pivot Liepard due to priority Encore,(comma) letting it trap Mr. Mime with Pursuit if you predict wrongly. Nasty Plot is the boosting option of choice as it allows Mr. Mime to grant passes an immediate +2 power Special Attack boost to something that can make better use of it. Substitute is preferred to avoid status and provide an essentially free switch in for a teammate if it Mr. Mime Baton Passes with the Substitute intact. Encore can also be used instead to provide setup opportunities for Mr. Mime. In the last slot, Psychic is necessary to prevent Mr. Mime to become from becoming Taunt bait, as well as to enable Mr. Mime to utilize the Nasty Plot boosts itself.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread lets Mr. Mime survive means that Mr. Mime's Substitutes cannot be broken by Support Lickilicky's Dragon Tail as well as defensive Probopass's Power Gem, letting it set up on these Pokemon with ease. Filter is the ability of choice, as it lets Mr. Mime take super effective moves such as U-turns and Shadow Balls better, the latter being especially important as Mr. Mime can 2HKO defensive Misdreavus with +2 Psychic, while Misdreavus cannot 2HKO back. Soundproof can be used instead to let Mr. Mime ignore Roar and Perish Song, both of which are irritating for a Baton Passer, but it's rather 50 / 50 in terms of effectiveness as while it can indeed set up on some users of it these moves, such as Camerupt, Bastiodon, and Eelektross, while it also loses to other Pokemon such as Misdeavus, Mandibuzz, and Zweilous. Keep in mind, however, that Misdreavus is 2HKOed by a +2 Psychic, so the matchup is not always in its favor. [you just said that] Calm Mind is a fine alternative to Nasty Plot in order to let for letting Mr. Mime set up against special attackers more easily, but Mr. Mime prefers the immediate boost from Nasty Plot most of the time, and is outclassed by Musharna in this role. While Leftovers is typically the best item in order to offset Substitute damage, Salac Berry can be used in conjunction with Substitute to boost Mr. Mime's Speed in a pinch and either Baton Pass to a teammate or sweep on its own. On a similar note, Lum Berry can be used in conjunction with Encore to shrug off status that would otherwise cripple Mr. Mime. Pokemon that can utilize said Nasty Plot boosts to sweep, such as Charizard and Jynx, make for great partners to Mr. Mime. Fighting-type Pokemon also make for good partners, being able to defeat most of the Dark-types that give Mr. Mime trouble. Pokemon such as Ludicolo and Seismitoad can be a threatening force under rain, and even more so after being Baton Passed a Nasty Plot boost, making them excellent partners too. As Mr. Mime can Baton Pass Special Attack boosts to it, Victreebel does not need to waste a slot for Growth, and can afford to run more coverage. It is also a threatening sweeper under harsh sunlight.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A dual screens screen set along with Encore and Baton Pass can be used to provide utility and preserve momentum. Taunt can prevent status and stop the opponent from using Mr. Mime as setup bait, but both the moves in the third slot of the set can do either, and more besides. Mr. Mime can use its alternate hidden ability, Technician, with moves such as Magical Leaf, Icy Wind, and 60 Base Power Hidden Powers, but as previously mentioned is typically wasted as an offensive threat. A Choice item can be used in conjunction with Trick, but this deviates from Mr. Mime's niche. Signal Beam, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, and Focus Blast are good coverage moves which Mr. Mime can utilize, but it is hard-pressed for moveslots anyway. Confuse Ray, Thunder Wave, and Trick Room are support moves that Mr. Mime can use, but these cannot be utilized very efficiently by it it cannot utilize these moves very efficiently compared to other Pokemon.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Taunt is a great stop to anything Mr. Mime can do if it hasn't gotten a Nasty Plot boost. However, if it is at +2 and it is Taunted, it can still hit the opponent hard with Psychic. As far as Pokemon go, Mandibuzz is a full stop to Mr. Mime, as it can Taunt it, hit it with Foul Play or Brave Bird, and Whirlwind it out to render its boosts useless. Liepard can come in on any move, use Encore on Mr. Mime, and then can Pursuit trap it. Skuntank can Taunt it and trap it with Pursuit; although Mr. Mime is faster and can Baton Pass out, none of the typical recipients of its boosts like taking a STAB Sucker Punch at all. Metang can easily take even boosted Psychics and can hit it hard with STAB Meteor Mash. Scolipede and Swellow can easily hit Mr. Mime hard with their powerful STAB moves; however, keep in mind that if Mr. Mime is behind a Substitute, it can do considerable damage to them on the counterattack.</p>

GP 1/2

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>With mostly average stats across the board barring Special Defense and a horrible defensive typing that gives it a Pursuit weakness, Mr. Mime is a very mediocre Pokemon in the NU metagame. Even though its Special Defense is respectable, most of the time it is outclassed by its competitors; Musharna performs a support role better, while Gardevoir and Jynx perform an offensive role better. However, its access to Baton Pass and support options such as Nasty Plot and Encore let it carve itself a niche as a Baton Passer. However, keep in mind that for any other purpose you are generally better off using one of the other Psychic-types in the tier.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a choice of two great abilities along with Baton Pass and a range of boosting moves, Mr. Mime is quite the Baton Passer. Baton Pass is a necessary and obvious move on this set, and Mr. Mime can use it to pass boosts to a teammate, as well as being able to dry-pass to maintain momentum and escape Pursuit from Skuntank, one of the premier users of Pursuit and Taunt in the tier. Keep in mind, however, that Mr. Mime will not be able to escape from pivot Liepard due to priority Encore, letting it trap Mr. Mime with Pursuit if you predict wrongly. Nasty Plot is the boosting option of choice as it allows Mr. Mime to grant an immediate +2 Special Attack boost to something that can make better use of it. Substitute is preferred to avoid status and provide an essentially free switch in for a teammate if Mr. Mime Baton Passes with the Substitute intact. Encore can be used instead to provide setup opportunities for Mr. Mime. In the last slot, Psychic is necessary to prevent Mr. Mime from becoming Taunt bait, as well as to giving Mr. Mime the option to utilize the Nasty Plot boosts itself.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread means that Mr. Mime's Substitutes cannot be broken by support Lickilicky's Dragon Tail as well as or defensive Probopass's Power Gem, letting it set up on these Pokemon with ease. Filter is the ability of choice, as it lets Mr. Mime take super effective moves such as U-turns and Shadow Balls more effectively, the latter being especially important as Mr. Mime can 2HKO defensive Misdreavus with +2 Psychic, while Misdreavus cannot 2HKO back. Soundproof can be used instead to let Mr. Mime ignore Roar and Perish Song, both of which are irritating for a Baton Passer, but it's rather 50 / 50 unreliable in terms of effectiveness; while it can indeed set up on some users of these moves, such as Camerupt, Bastiodon, and Eelektross, it also loses to other Pokemon such as Misdeavus, Mandibuzz, and Zweilous. Calm Mind is a fine alternative to Nasty Plot in order to let Mr. Mime set up against special attackers more easily, but Mr. Mime prefers the immediate boost from Nasty Plot most of the time, and is outclassed by Musharna in this role. While Leftovers is typically the best item in order to offset Substitute damage, Salac Berry can be used in conjunction with Substitute to boost Mr. Mime's Speed in a pinch and either Baton Pass to a teammate or sweep on its own. On a similar note, Lum Berry can be used in conjunction with Encore to shrug off status that would otherwise cripple Mr. Mime. </p>
[[new topic, new paragraph]]
<p>Pokemon that can utilize said Nasty Plot boosts to sweep, such as Charizard and Jynx, make for great partners to Mr. Mime. Fighting-type Pokemon also make for good partners, being able to defeat most of the Dark-types that give Mr. Mime trouble. Pokemon such as Ludicolo and Seismitoad can be a threatening force under rain, and even more so after being Baton Passed a Nasty Plot boost, making them excellent partners too. As Mr. Mime can Baton Pass Special Attack boosts to it, Victreebel does not need to waste a slot for Growth, and can afford to run more coverage. It is also a threatening sweeper under harsh sunlight.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A dual screens set along with Encore and Baton Pass can be used to provide utility and preserve momentum. Taunt can prevent status and stop the opponent from using Mr. Mime as setup bait, but both the moves in the third slot of the set can do either, and more besides. Mr. Mime can use its hidden ability, Technician, with moves such as Magical Leaf, Icy Wind, and 60 Base Power Hidden Powers, but as previously mentioned, is typically wasted as an offensive threat. A Choice item can be used in conjunction with Trick, but this deviates from Mr. Mime's niche. Signal Beam, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, and Focus Blast are good coverage moves which Mr. Mime can utilize, but it is hard-pressed for moveslots as it is. Confuse Ray, Thunder Wave, and Trick Room are support moves that Mr. Mime can use, but it cannot utilize these moves very efficiently compared to other Pokemon.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Taunt is a great stop to anything Mr. Mime can do if it hasn't gotten a already used Nasty Plot boost. However, if it is at +2 and it is Taunted, it can still hit the opponent hard with Psychic. As far as Pokemon go, Mandibuzz is a full stop to Mr. Mime, as it can Taunt it, hit it with Foul Play or Brave Bird, and Whirlwind it out to render its boosts useless. Liepard can come in on any move, use Encore on Mr. Mime, and then can Pursuit trap it. Even though Skuntank can Taunt it and trap it with Pursuit, Mr. Mime is faster and can Baton Pass out; however, none of the typical recipients of its boosts like taking a STAB Sucker Punch at all. Metang can easily take even boosted Psychics and can hit it hard with STAB Meteor Mash. Scolipede and Swellow can easily hit Mr. Mime hard with their powerful STAB moves; however, keep in mind that if Mr. Mime is behind a Substitute, it can do considerable damage to them on the counter-attack.</p>
2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)