MS Paint Gallery

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Wow. Wow. WOW! You are truly the Goddess of Pixel Art!

I am stunned by that Syclant you did. The details are fantastic and shading is flawless. I can't really criticize anything about the drawing. If anything, I think you should increase the saturation on the color. I am viewing your art on a monitor that is very bright (it's the monitor I use to make sure I don't overdo it on my colors), and the greens look a little washed out. I don't know if you were going for that intentionally, but I think bolder colors would look better. But, that's really my only comment. If you don't change a thing -- I am still floored by it!

The Revenankh looks like it will turn out even better than Syclant. That lead hand on Revenankh looks wonderful. I'm very particular when it comes to drawing hands, and I think that one looks great. If I try *really hard* to find a flaw, I would say you may want to revisit the top line on the thumb. I think I know what you are doing representing the two different joints of the thumb, but it looks a bit like a squiggly line. It doesn't stand out as a problem, but it may not be working the way you intended.

Really awesome work Wyverii. This is one of the best art threads in the subforum, IMO.

So, many, bandages. X_X; I'll probably end up revising the hands since i'm not entirely happy with them but i'm taking a break before I become obsessed. After minor tweaks and maybe redoing the hands it'll be on to colouring. It's times like these that make me regret that I can't use a tablet to save my life. At least my attempt at foreshortening on the left arm seems to have worked.

Sweet. Thanks for that Doug. I love thought out comments like yours. I don't really see the colour problem you're talking about on Syclant since i'm using the usual saturation patterns for larger works (which is slightly lower than my small works, I avoid super high saturation since it makes AA so much more difficult). It may be my monitor so i'll heighten the saturation later to see. One of the ice colours is a blending colour so it might be hard to distinguish.

Since you're good at hands yourself any more advice would be cherished. I straightened the thumb line out. Actually, I think rotating the right hand anti-clockwise (towards his face) a bit'll help make it look less awkward. Then again I could just re-do the thing completely.

Wyverii, I can't wait to see Revenankh shaded in. I love how you fixed the left hand (as minute as the difference was), and its right hand looks incredible.

My only complaint is how the bandages on the end look so scraggly, though that's just because they haven't been shaded yet. I think the only part you may be missing is in the original drawing, KoA had the bandages coming down from the back very dark. If you add them in it may make the space look more complete.

The finished products will more than likely be incredible. You're definitely the best pixel artist I've ever seen.

Redid the hand and lay base colours down. I'm happier with it now. It's now time for shading.

I'll add any extra tail bandages during the colouring if I think it needs it. As for the general size of them that's subject to my interpretation and artistic license. So long as it's easily recognizable I feel that I should be able to change aspects and proportion of the art to suit my tastes.

Hurg, this is going to take a while to colour. There's so many bandages to AA and lighten.

Wow. Wow. WOW! You are truly the Goddess of Pixel Art!

I am stunned by that Syclant you did. The details are fantastic and shading is flawless. I can't really criticize anything about the drawing. If anything, I think you should increase the saturation on the color. I am viewing your art on a monitor that is very bright (it's the monitor I use to make sure I don't overdo it on my colors), and the greens look a little washed out. I don't know if you were going for that intentionally, but I think bolder colors would look better. But, that's really my only comment. If you don't change a thing -- I am still floored by it!

The Revenankh looks like it will turn out even better than Syclant. That lead hand on Revenankh looks wonderful. I'm very particular when it comes to drawing hands, and I think that one looks great. If I try *really hard* to find a flaw, I would say you may want to revisit the top line on the thumb. I think I know what you are doing representing the two different joints of the thumb, but it looks a bit like a squiggly line. It doesn't stand out as a problem, but it may not be working the way you intended.

Really awesome work Wyverii. This is one of the best art threads in the subforum, IMO.
QFT. I am really blown away by your syclant, you should enter it and the overs (once you have done them of course) in the website art contest.

Ugh, I didn't like doing this one as much as the Syclant. It'll need some more work but i'm putting this up as the final draft.

I didn't say anything before but both your renditions of Scylant and Revenankh are beyond excellent especially Revenankh. Despite how much trouble our fellow mummy gave you, he came out a-ok. The way you managed with his wrappings, shading, and poses....20/10 for you. Scylant isn't any worse than him as the more detailed look within it's cystal piece really bring a smile to my faces. Congratz on your work and keep it up.

This is what my art looks like before I clean it up, an utter creative mess. The proportions to Pyroak are awkward so i'm taking the safe route and sketching out a full body pose before I even think of cleaning anything up. He's a bit bulkier than the sprite version I did but he's not as super bulky as some of the other art i've seen floating around. I'm keeping his mouth shut on this one, it not only saves colours but it makes him look a bit more calm. His arms are difficult to position but perspective helps an awful lot with that, it seems that he'd be more inclined to pull his arms inwards at rest with how they're structured. I just doodled out the feet since that'll require a lot more detail work and I might change how the legs are positioned so I don't want to do them until i'm sure i'm not going to mess with the legs. Speaking of legs, he's a bit off balance so i'll shift them to compensate for the weight of his left cannon. Chest armor needs work as well.

I suppose it's nice to see how a piece of art progresses rather than just get the full art posted. Not only does it allow other artists to see my general working processes but it allows for deeper feedback (if you can get it in fast enough anyway xD). Pyroak is going to be the technically hardest out of the original three CaP Pokes. Not only are his proportions difficult but the texturing of the wood is going to be even more difficult than Revvy's bandages. If you've got any complaints about the pose now is the time to tell me.

(15 mins, mouse)

Edit: Head cleanup and repositioned legs. Yellow belly marking outline's been removed since that won't even have one by colouring. Planning to mess a lot more with legs.

I really like the non-ferocious direction you're taking with Pyroak, Wyverii.

I'm still a little concerned about the leg. Perhaps you could shift it a little bit more to the right? It looks a little like a small tap from behind would be enough to tip it over. It's carrying a lot of weight on its upper body, so it would need a strong base to hold it up; a stance a little wider than shoulder width apart, I'd imagine.

The only other thing would perhaps be the angle of its left cannon which is faced completely towards the viewer. You'll never find yourself completely face on with anything in nature, so seeing it here makes that area of the drawing seem a little forced.

Aside from that, everything looks great. I especially like the head. The way it's cocked back and the way you did the eye gives it a very natural, lizard-like look.

Wyverri, those looks amazing! The shading is perfect, the pose is perfect, your art is perfect. Keep it up!

really really nice.

But since when does MS Paint support transparency? is it the Vista version or something?

Pyroak lineart + base colouring. I'm fairly happy with this. I desperately wanted to do a dynamic pose however everybody else is doing aggressive poses so I kept at the stable calm pose. It's rather ironic how much trouble i'm having with this considering I did the sprite.

Earlier, while I was still doing the Revanankh my father came in and commented on it. Ironically he said it looked like something from Marvel VS Capcom. I have to say though, I guess technically Revvy's my best here so far.

MSpaint doesn't support transparency. When I finish my art I use GraphicsGale to add transparency. I used to use Photoshop but GG's faster and I lost Photoshop >>;

Really nice work. The scylant really is superb.

I noticed you are looking for a fellow pixel artist to co op with. I know someone from animalxing's forum that I've linked to this thread. She loves pokemon. I hope she joins and has fun doing this too :D

This is gonna take a while to shade all that wood correctly so instead of leaving you guys with nothing here's the head which is pretty much finished, I may add extra shades later or mess with the contrast. I've noticed that i've had to use different styles of shading for the unique materials in each CaP. Ice/crystal for Syclant, wrappings for Revanankh and wood for Pyroak. Thankfully Fidgit doesn't have anything like that and he'll be easy enough on a larger scale than 80x80 (which was a big problem for the spriters that did him for the CaP ;p).

Thank you all for your comments. Since i've gone as far as to do these i'll enter them in the website art thread. I was originally only doing them for fun after seeing all the art recently but i've had plenty of prodding from certain members to get them in.

I hope this pixel artist does join and I hope he/she's pretty skilled. ^^

Hey there Wyverii :D

I tried some pixel art today.. first time.

I noticed something rather unpleasant from the transition from photoshop to the way the picture displays online. The edges do weird things.. like, before it was a nice straight line, but online it looks jagged and even looks like I missed coloring spots. I *know* I didn't miss. I had a colored layer behind the pic to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Do you have any suggestions or tips?

Damn, these are amazing. I have never seen anything this good. You're making me want to do scratch-spriting now.

I have just one bit of criticism about Revenankh. The shading on the bandages at the bottom makes them look a bit rounded. Removing some of the darkest shade should help, if I'm not mistaken. Otherwise, your sprites are awesome.

Urrrg. So, much, work.

That's all of them now. I'm a bit too tired of staring at this to say anything intelligent about this at the moment. I'm glad i'm inspiring people to do pixel work. I've got some advice for you in your topic Hen.

All 3 of the CAP's look super amazing. Amazing.

The other fakemon, etc. look beautiful too. You're really good at this stuff.

That's beautiful Wyverii. The Pyroak being my favorite, how long did it take in all?

Have you ever considered doing animated sprites?

About 6h for Syclant, 5h for Revvy, and 8h for Pyroak. So about 19 hours in total. That's a lot of time spent on art in a few days but I knew there was going to be a deadline for that website thing soon. Revvy was more difficult than Syclant for me but it took less time since there was less research needed. Pyroak took so long mostly because of the frigging wood patterning. Let me tell you, doing all this by hand with a mouse is painstaking but as much as I moan and complain I love it really... I guess the effort makes it all the sweeter when it's finished. ;p

I'd like to dabble in sprite animation but I just can't find any program capable of animating that I like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)