Munchlax [QC: 2/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
QC: Anty, galbia

Overview
########

• Eviolite makes Munchlax have an absurd Special Defense, topped off with an amazing HP stat.
  • Eviolite raises Munchlax's poor Defense enough to let him still tank some physical hits.
  • Munchlax sometimes has problem walling because of Munchlax lacks reliable recovery and Munchlax relies on Eviolite to wall.
  • Munchlax faces tough competition as a special wall with Lickilicky. Munchlax has the advantage of Thick Fat and Whirlwind, giving it the ability to solidly check Ninetales. Whirlwind stops set-up and Substitute Pokemon. Eviolite also raises Munchlax's Special Defense higher than Lickilicky.
RestTalk Tank
########
name: RestTalk
move 1: Body Slam
move 2: Rest
move 3: Sleep Talk
move 4: Whirlwind
ability: Thick Fat
item: Eviolite
evs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
nature: Impish

Moves
========

• Body Slam is the STAB move of choice, having a 30% chance to paralyze.
  • Rest lets Munchlax recover all the health he lost. It also heals Munchlax from any status effects, making it a status absorber.
  • Sleep Talk keeps Munchlax from being useless while asleep. Munchlax can still attack and phaze while asleep.
  • Whirlwind prevents Munchlax from being a setup fodder. It also racks up entry damage, and it lets you phaze boosted Pokemon.

Set Details
========

• The 136 Defense EVs and an Impish nature gives Munchlax more defensive bulk. It also lets Munchlax live one Life Orb Rock Climbs from Tauros and two +2 Adamant Life Orb Stone Edge from Carracosta at full. The rest are dumped in Special Defense.
  • Eviolite keeps Munchlax's stats high enough to wall. Without it, Munchlax's defensive stats would be mediocre at best.
  • Thick Fat is a great ability, giving Munchlax two resistants. It also lets Munchlax switch in on any special Ice- and Fire-type move. That helps it counter Pokemon like Ninetales and Glaceon.

Usage Tips
========

• Munchlax can switch in on most special attacks, but you must be wary of Focus Blast from strong special attackers like Raichu or a +2 Simisear.
  • Be wary Knock Off, as it will destroy any chances of Munchlax being a wall.
  • Munchlax can take weaker phyisical attacks, but even with Eviolite, Munchlax doesn't have the physical bulk for repetitive switch-ins on strong physical attacks.
  • Whirlwind should be used when there is a Pokemon setting up or if they are setup.
  • Rest is only to be used when low or if you can't survive a hit plus some residual damage like poison.
  • Sleep Talk is for when you are asleep. Only use it twice because Munchlax wakes up on the third turn.

Team Options
========

• Hazard Setters like Roselia and Golem are great to maximize the efficiency of Whirlwind.
  • Spinners/defoggers minimize the damage that Munchlax takes when he switches into special attacks. A good ones is Pelipper as it can take physical attacks.
  • Physical tanks like Gourgeist and are great partners with Munchlax, taking the physical attacks for Munchlax.
  • Pokemon that are immune or resist Fighting-type moves are great partners, like Misdreavus.
  • Munchlax needs Eviolite, so Pokemon that can take Knock Offs are great partners. Good Knock Off users are Throh and Poliwrath because they can resist Knock Off.
  • Munchlax is more for a stall team or bulky offense

Other Options
########

• A Toxic stall
  • A Curse set can be used, but is outclassed by Vigaroth
  • Seed Bomb hits Golem and Carracosta
  • A more specially defensive set can be used to wall special attacks better
  • An offensive set
  • Earthquake is possible to hit Steel-type Pokemon.

Checks & Counters
########

**Ghost-types**: Munchlax can't touch Ghost-types with any damaging moves. Dusknoir and Haunter can Trick a Choice-item to Munchlax and take away its Eviolite. Also, Misdreavus can Taunt Munchlax and start setting up Nasty Plots. Gourgeist also walls Munchlax, but it can't do anything back to it.

**Fighting-type / Fighting-type Moves**: Fighting-type moves is Munchlax's only type weakness. Most Fighting-types will check or counter Munchlax. For example, Poliwrath can Focus Punch Munchlax for a 2HKO and heal anything Munchlax tries to do to it. Physical Fighting-type coverage moves can do a lot of damage like Flareon's Superpower or Kecleon's Drain Punch. Finally, strong enough special Fighting-type moves like Regice's Focus Blast can do a lot of damage and wear Munchlax down.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Strong attackers like Oursaring or Bouffalant it can set up on Munchlax, though they have to be careful of Whirlwind, and outdamage Munchlax's Body Slam. This works especially well if the strong attackers have a form of recovery. Also, Choice Band Pokemon like Relicanth can deal some serious damage to Munchlax.

**Throh**: Throh completely counters Munchlax. Munchlax only does 34.9% to Throh with Body Slam, and Throh can hit back with a 2HKO with Circle Throw or Storm Throw. Throh also can set up Bulk Up extremely easily, but it most be wary of Whirlwind.

**Knock Off**: Without Eviolite, Munchlax loses a lot of bulk, making Munchlax an inefficient wall in the RestTalk set and it will make Munchlax revenge killable on the CurseLax set. Most common Knock Off users can 2HKO Munchlax with the combination of Knock Off and a STAB or Fighting-type move like Sneasel does with Knock Off and Low Kick or Leafeon's Leaf Blade after it uses Knock Off.

**Taunt**: Without the ability to phaze, Munchlax becomes setup bait. Vigoroth and Serperior can both taunt Munchlax, set up Bulk Up and Coil respectively. Also, Taunt users like Kricketune can set up Sticky Web or any other form of hazards.

**Trick**: Trick doesn't only prevent Munchlax from doing a consistent job of healing, phazing, and attacking. It also takes away Munchlax's Eviolite. Without Eviolite, Munchlax can't wall attacks at all. An example of a dangerous Trick users is Rotom-F because it will give Munchlax a Choice-item and then switch out to a physical attacker with Volt Switch.

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I haven't actually gotten a chance to use Munchlax in PU so idk if those sets are the best ones, I'll leave that to other QC, but your C&C section is really bare. I feel like there is a ton of other things besides Ghost-types and Knock Off that Munchlax has to worry about. For instance a big one that comes to mind is Fighting-types, please put in more into this section and fill it out (what I dont want to see is just Fighting-types added and leave it at that, I want to see you put some thought into what checks / counters it).

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Im not qc but i have used this a lot:
Overview
########

I would just mention how munchlax has good HP and spdef with eviolite, it still has poor physical defense (worse than lickis even with eviolite)
Dont mention the attack ev's part, it really shouldnt be put into attack.
I dont think the speed part is necessary (maybe just mention how it is the slowest pokemon in the tier)
Rest isnt worth mentioning, instead, maybe add something about how its walling capabilities are limited due to lack of reliable recovery and reliance on its item
Main things munchlax has over licky is whirlwind and thick fat, allowing it to beat sub pokemon and help vs fire and ice types

RestTalk Tank
########
The ev's should be changed, munchlax already has stupid special defense, might as well allow it to become a mixed tank. Im not too sure about the exact spread, but you should try and find some defensive benchmarks. Currently i have:
252 hp/124 def/132 spdef relaxed (Edit: i mean impish)- allows it to survive +2 adamant lo carracosta stone edge from full. The remaining spdef evs are just enough to survive 2 focus blasts from raichu after stealth rocks. This isnt perfect, its for you to find out (another example is 140+ defense to live 2 lo tauros rock climbs at full)

Maybe qc know good sets

Moves
========

Body slam should be the only slash, as paralysing is very important
No need to mention guts or quick feet under rest

Set Details
========

This is done well, but mention more about thick fat and what it checks (eg ninetales, glaceon. Do calcs, im not 100% sure but i think these 2 can break licki)

Usage Tips
========

Mention the pokemon that carry focus blast, like raichu
I would remove the second line (or mention how it can switch into fire and ice types. Simisear dont carry choice items anyway)
Munchlax can stomach weaker physical attacks, mention how it should be kept away from stronger physical attacks
Last two lines shouldnt be here, but in c&c
Mention when you should use the attacks, eg whirlwind vs set up sweeper, restalk when on low health

Team Options
========

Change one of the hazard setters to a stealth rocker
Spinners/defogers arent too important, no spatker is getting past it
Mention pokemon that resist/imune to fighting
Also pokemon that can sponge a knock off
Change avalugg, as it shares a weakness
Mention the overall team style it is usually on, ie stall

Offensive CurseLax
########
Im not too sure if this should be listed, its pretty much outclassed by bulk up vigoroth, who can taunt to prevent phazing and has good speed. The only niche i can see it having is enough spdef to use restalk set. I havent used it enough to comment on however

Other Options
########

If curse and EQ is removed add it here. Fire punch doesnt really hit anything btw.
REMOVE BELLY DRUM
Mention a more offensive/physically or specially defensive set
Seed bomb hits golem and costa/baracle

Checks & Counters
########
This needs quite a bit of work.
For ghost types, mention haunter/dusk who can trick it a choice item, as well as misdreavus who can taunt then set up nasty plots on it
Taunt needs its own section imo, it allows stuff (like missy) to use it as set up fodder
For knock off, mention pokemon, a particularly good example is serperior, who munchlax is usually a good answer to
I do think throh should get its own section, but another one should be added about fighting types/fighting type coverage, poliwrath is a good check, and fighting coverage eg superpower flareon/heatmor can 2hko
Strong physical attackers should also be mentioned, eg bouffalant.

ExplosiveChaos

Last edited:
Thank you Anty, I changed most of it. There are only a couple things that I am not sure I should change.
  1. I don't want to delete CurseLax set just yet until I have the opinion of other people.
  2. I don't know about deleting Return, because stall teams usually prefer Toxic.
  3. You want me to delete the line about being able to switch in on Fire and Ice attacks, but isn't that a usage tip?

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thank you Anty , I changed most of it. There are only a couple things that I am not sure I should change.
  1. I don't want to delete CurseLax set just yet until I have the opinion of other people.
  2. You want me to delete the line about being able to switch in on Fire and Ice attacks, but isn't that a usage tip?
1. Yeah keep the set for now, im just not sure if it will stay
2. I meant delete the part about choice locked ice and fire types, as there really arent many, but still mention its ability to check them easily

Anty

let's drop
Tagging ExplosiveChaos

Overview
########
Just mention how it is specially tanky, as it is not one of the best special walls
Remove the part about speed, it adds nothing that the reader needs to know/already doesnt know

RestTalk Tank
#######
Moves
========
Remove return, body slam should always be run

Set Details
========
You have careful listed in here, rather than impish
mention that thick fat allows it to check strong fire and ice types more easily

Usage Tips
========
Remove the part about thick fat, as it is mentioned enough in set details
Remove the part about serperior w/ knock off, as firstly it wont ko, secondly that belongs in checks and counters
'It is better to only switch in on special attackers.' Remove this line, the previous sentance covers it enough
Mention trick with knock off

Team Options
========
Mention a stealth rock setter in the hazard setters
Example of spinners/defogers
Replace the second gourgeist mention with something else that resists fighting
Mention poliwrath as a knock off taker, as pelipper loses to the main knock off user
Mention that is only fits on stall

Offensive CurseLax
########
I still think that this should just be moved to OO

Other Options
########
Do what i said previously in my last post about this
Also remove the other moves from toxic part, just mention toxic.

Checks & Counters
########
Add what i said previously about ghost types
Change the name from bulky --> strong physical attackers
Add what i said about fighting coverage section previously
Mention more knock off users
Remove encore, it isnt relevant enough
Mention trick users

By the looks of it, you didnt add most of what i previously suggested, (you didnt change oo at all "/)

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ok. I will add some changes. But for some, you are contradicting yourself,(for example, told me to say that Munchlax is the slowest mon in PU)
Anty is QC so you should make his changes unless you have a really good reason not to or if another QC member disagrees, otherwise pls implement the whole check.

Anty

let's drop
Ok. I will add the changes. Thank you :). I did add Trick in C&C.
Seriously. If you are not going to add what I recommend, or give legit reasons to why you are not, then don't ask me to check this. Even without reading I can see that, just look oo, I have made changes in both posts which make sense by yet you still haven't added. Sorry if this sounds rude.

Seriously. If you are not going to add what I recommend, or give legit reasons to why you are not, then don't ask me to check this. Even without reading I can see that, just look oo, I have made changes in both posts which make sense by yet you still haven't added. Sorry if this sounds rude.
No, it is fine. To be honest, I skipped a lot of your post by accident, I wasn't trying to be rude (like what Thick Fat counters or some parts you told me to do on C&C)

Anty

let's drop
Ok this is a lot better than it previously was, its nearly ready for a stamp.
Just a few nitpicks:
Remove the mention of simisear in the Set details, as it can break munchlax w/ focus blast
In UT, remove the last line about using body slam
in TO, change Arbok to garbodor, as it fits munchlax's team style better. For knock off takers, just mention poliwrath and throh as they resist it
EQ in other options

Minor details in c&c:
Ghost Types: Mention Gourgeist walls it, but cannot do anything in responce
Strong ph attackers: Add poliwrath (sets up sub on it). Change 'can 1HKO or 2HKO Munchlax', to 'can deal heavy damage to Munchlax'
Throh: Mention throh can set up bulk ups. Also delete the part about the curse munchlax
Taunt: Because you have already mentioned the ghosts previously, give other examples, eg taunt + bulk up vigoroth, taunt kricketune, serperior etc
Trick: mention users (because you have already used ghost types, just mention rotom-f)

Do this and i will stamp, ExplosiveChaos

Ok this is a lot better than it previously was, its nearly ready for a stamp.
Just a few nitpicks:
Remove the mention of simisear in the Set details, as it can break munchlax w/ focus blast
In UT, remove the last line about using body slam
in TO, change Arbok to garbodor, as it fits munchlax's team style better. For knock off takers, just mention poliwrath and throh as they resist it
EQ in other options

Minor details in c&c:
Ghost Types: Mention Gourgeist walls it, but cannot do anything in responce
Strong ph attackers: Add poliwrath (sets up sub on it). Change 'can 1HKO or 2HKO Munchlax', to 'can deal heavy damage to Munchlax'
Throh: Mention throh can set up bulk ups. Also delete the part about the curse munchlax
Taunt: Because you have already mentioned the ghosts previously, give other examples, eg taunt + bulk up vigoroth, taunt kricketune, serperior etc
Trick: mention users (because you have already used ghost types, just mention rotom-f)

Do this and i will stamp, ExplosiveChaos
I believe I added everything.

Anty

let's drop
I believe I added everything.
Actually, since you have mentioned poliwrath in the fighting types, remove it from strong physical attackers.
Lastly, there is no need to mention 'the most common pokemon in PU,', and talk about focus punch rather than circle throw

Mention in overview that being a solid Ninetales check and having Whirlwind is its main niche over Licklicky (i guess slightly higher bulk with knock too) which relies on the shitty Dragon Tail
It also lets Munchlax live two Life Orb Rock Climbs from Tauros at full and two +2 Adamant Life Orb Stone Edge from Carracosta from full.
You mean one. And mention that you should WW it out.
Not much more really. Remove banned mon mentions as i didnt spot any but there might be.
Nice Job 2/3 ExplosiveChaos

Mention in overview that being a solid Ninetales check and having Whirlwind is its main niche over Licklicky (i guess slightly higher bulk with knock too) which relies on the shitty Dragon Tail

You mean one. And mention that you should WW it out.
Not much more really. Remove banned mon mentions as i didnt spot any but there might be.
Nice Job 2/3 ExplosiveChaos
Thank you! I have been gone for a while because i had a ton of exams, but I will try to write it out. I also took off all the garbador mentions.

Reactions: g
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)