ORAS OU Murderkrow (Peak no.5 on Showdown OU)

Allow me to introduce myself. I ladder as ben69 or as fzappa; this is my first RMT:

A little team I created with the goal to use some fun, under appreciated pokemon, and so make laddering a little less stale. It manages to perform well enough (reached Number 5 on the OU Ladder) despite a few glaring weaknesses. It features the coolest pokemon of all: Honchkrow, as well as some unusual movesets (Sharpen Diancie, anyone?).

Let's have a look:

Mew
Ability: Synchronise; Nature: Timid/Jolly
Item: Mental Herb
252 Hp, 184 Speed, 72 SpDef
Taunt
Thunder wave
Stealth rock
Psychic/Earthquake

Mew sets up rocks and punishes Azelf that taunt it on Turn 1. Thunder wave is for Charizard and Lati twins that try to defog. Against suspected lead Garchomp, you lead Starmie instead. Against Sableye/ Diancie you can lead with your own Diancie/Starmie as appropriate. Transform was the original 4th move just for lols (the original purpose of the team) but Psychic is the more sensible option - as sub-Keldeo or Lopunny can set up on you (This is why you can't run Knock Off in slot 4). Explosion, Volt switch, Roar, or Earthquake (for Heatran) are also viable 4th moves (with a corresponding nature). Oblivious Mamoswine might be worth considering as a replacement since this team has no electric resists, but Ferrothorn might be a problem without Taunt.

Cloyster
Ability: Skill link; Nature: Adamant
Item: King's rock
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Def
Shell Smash
Icicle Spear
Rock Blast
Ice Shard

King's rock is the crux of the set, as it's 40% flinch chance is essential for muscling past checks. With any other item, Cloyster has no chance to sweep against Unaware Clefable/Quagsire, Skarmory and the like. Ice shard allows priority against Thundurus and Talonflame, and mind-games with Bisharp; Rock Blast hits Rotom-W hardest. It is worth considering swapping Rock Blast for HP Grass (with a -spdef nature) to hit Keldeo, Rotom-W, and Quagsire super-effectively but I haven't tried it out yet. It weakens Mega-Diancie's checks (Bulky water and steel types) and in turn Diancie is able to soften up targets for Cloyster. Ferrothorn is not a counter to this set, especially those lacking Power Whip.

Diancie
Ability: Clear Body; Nature: Naive
Item: Diancite
252SpA, 252 Speed, 4 Attack
Sharpen
Moonblast
Diamond Storm
Earth Power

Diancie checks Talonflame and Dragons, and can also stallbreak fairly well with this moveset. Sharpen is to beat Chansey, as a +1 Diamond storm 2HKOs. This allows Diancie to stallbreak and remove threats to Honchkrow. Sharpen on the Sableye, Diamond Storm on the Chansey and Moonblast on the Quagsire switch-in. (To be fair you can Diamond Storm again because Quagsire's EQ dosent kill - their best play is to scald). If I was not running Sharpen, I would run HP Fire for Ferrothorn, but you can't have it all.

Entei
Ability: Pressure, Nature: Adamant
Item: Life Orb/Flame Plate
200 Speed, 56 Hp, 252 Attack
Sacred Fire
Bulldoze
Extremespeed
Toxic/Protect/Substitute

Entei is an incredibly underrated threat. Few pokemon can switch into it safely and LO Sacred fire + Extremespeed kills Latios on the switch. I originally used substitute with flame plate but LO is nice to OHKO Heatran with Bulldoze, and to power-up Extreme Speed. In the 4th slot, Protect is used to scout scarf Landorus-T or unsuspecting Lopunnies; Substitute is useful to ease prediction and dodge Sucker Punches, Toxic can be used for predicted bulky water switch-ins. Entei has good bulk and can tank any non super-effective hit. Speed EV's to beat Jolly Mamoswine.

Starmie:
Ability: Natural Cure/Analytic, Nature:Timid
Item: Life Orb
252 Speed, 252 SpA, 4 Def
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Rapid Spin

Starmie is a bizarrely underused pokemon; I plan to use this starfish much more in future teams. I originally used Analytic for the power, as LO Hydro Pump hits super-hard on the switch, but Natural cure allows you to switch in on Slowbro with less fear of status, and allows you to kill Thundurus without getting permanently T-waved. Rapid spin is very helpful for Honchkrow, Entei, and Cloyster, of course. It is my main lead against Garchomp teams as you can bring them to their sash and then they have to decide wether to pivot to their Gengar on the spin (Hydro Pump OHKOS full health Gengar). Hydro Pump also OHKOs Bisharp which some people like to switch into Starmie for some reason...
Celebi is experiencing a resurgence in popularity so you could put Signal Beam on instead of thunderbolt/ice beam as it also hits Latis and Bro SE although it's only 75bp.

Honchkrow
Ability: Moxie; Nature: Adamant
Item: Life Orb
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Def
Sucker Punch
Pursuit
Brave Bird
Superpower

The Big Boss pokemon. This thing is ridiculously powerful and fun to use. Of course you must be willing to play the silly guessing games with Pursuit/Sucker Punch but there's nothing funner than pursuit-trapping Latis and Metagrosses. Heat wave and HP ice are options to hit Skarmory and Landorus-T respectively, but they are hard to fit in. Superpower KOs Heatran, and at +1 picks of weakened Rotom-W. At +1 Sucker Punch is ridiculously strong and KO's Keldo from half-Hp; Honch also grabs a free boost from scarfed Magnezones that think they can tank a hit.

Here's a fresh replay, merking an average rain team. Watch for the nice double twave to catch Latios (gotta watch out for those peskies).

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-204506550

Merking some offence (switched back to Analytic Starmie here). Entei tanks Mega Metagross' EQ like a boss.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-204753420

Against a (not great) balance team
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-204749645

Threats/Weaknesses:

Electric types, to which this team has no resistance. Entei can tank a t-bolt from Raikou, and Honchkrow's Sucker punch does 70-83% at +0. Cloyster, Honch, and Diancie all lose to Rotom-W 1v1 but one can weaken it to make an opening for the others. Bisharp is problematic and sometimes you will have to play silly mind games with Cloyster (Shell Smash and Ice Shard). Defensive Rocky Helmet Garchomp is rather problematic for Honchkrow as the recoil pretty much KOs it. Stall can be a problem although Pursuit Honchkrow, Entei and Diancie can apply a lot of pressure. Keldeo (especially scarf) is also dangerous since Starmie has no recovery.

Suggestions:

Please offer any suggestions to improve this team, though it should go without saying that replacing all the interesting pokemon (Honch, Entei, Cloyster) with generic ones would be a little contrary to the spirit of the team. I'd be very interested in hearing suggestions for potential replacements to Diancie, Starmie, and Mew.

ben69/fzappa.

Importable:
Cloyster @ King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Rock Blast

Entei @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Bulldoze
- Toxic

Mew @ Mental Herb
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 72 SpD / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Superpower

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Naive Nature
- Sharpen
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power

Cloyster @ King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Rock Blast

Entei @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Bulldoze
- Toxic

Mew @ Mental Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 72 SpD / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earth Power

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower

Starmie @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sharpen
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power

Last edited:
Don't have proof of peak, didn't screenshot it. Users who have been high up on the ladder may recognise my username/team tho.

Might get and upload some replays for you guys later. I only have replays from an older version of the team with Scarf Breloom on it (which is a fun and surprisingly good set against offence btw)

I've added an importable so you can try the team for yourselves. Sorry, I don't know how to put it in a Show/Hide tab. I'm going to experiment with max attack on Diancie too. I've changed Mew's attack to Superpower to hit Bisharp and Balloon Tran leads.

Last edited:
Was 1801 score, last weekend. I never screenshotted because I never thought I'd have the patience to actually post an RMT (I have browsed these forums since BW and always to lazy to do one of these). I have no great reason to make false claims since I'm not a member of the 'pokemon community' in any way, just someone who likes playing pogeymanz as a relaxing hobby. Of course, I could easily be FOS because, after all, this is the internet. Shockingly, it is actually possible to do well with a team that does not contain latios and friends, though If you read the OP you'll see that I never claimed that this is a solid team.

Last edited:
Hi man, nice team realy good team to get top5 it should, but i would make it even better.
The problem with this team is that's weak to Scarf Lando-T and Prankster Thundurus-I, they are a threat because it can out speed every pokemon in your team and Thundurus-I can thunder-wave the most of your team, and in adition to that Scarf Tyranitar is a realy big threat too, because your team sufers from dark bug stone and electric, and a litle bit of Grass.
Now that i explain wuth a threat to your team, i will explain wuths going to stop them.
Cloyster is not that good in OU is much outclased by other things, and its not just that is one of your pokemons that make the team weak to those types that i mentionated, i was thinking in changing every pokemon in the team but that wouldn't be good, then a tough in a SkarmChan core to add your team the pokemons that i would change for SkarmChan would be Cloyster and Entei, with those changes your team will, the team will have a stone and bug resist, the other 2 types chansey can resist, but you will be still fighting weak, and Starmie is not a mega loppuny answer, in fact your team is realy weak to that, i was thinking in using controlerDefensive hazard mew will help you take better that, and that will make your Starmie not needed any more and free up a space for a realy good pokemon that's defensive pivot Landorus-T with stealth rock, that will make you even less weak to rock and bug, gives you a intimidate
help, a check to Heatran and for last Electric types switch in that has lack of HP ice and Lando-I.
I think that the team is even better and can get top1 now, and my changes will make your team more bulky, and hazard stacker.
Hopefully i helped you with my rate and i will leave the inportable after the changes.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Counter
(changed for Cloyster, shed shell not be traped set is standard.)
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Aromatherapy
( for entei, your cleric and Skarm helper, not much to say about that.)
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss

Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Roost (its a hazard controler mew helps Honch and can Criple faster threats, for Honch again.)
- Thunder Wave/Toxic

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Pursuit ( good set not much to say about this.)
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 200 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
(for starmie and its your rock setter and bird spam cheker.)
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Protect/ Calm Mind/ Rock Polish
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
(your Mega Sableye answer and set up sweeper, main win condition.)
- Earth Power

Hi man, nice team realy good team to get top5 it should, but i would make it even better.
The problem with this team is that's weak to Scarf Lando-T and Prankster Thundurus-I, they are a threat because it can out speed every pokemon in your team and Thundurus-I can thunder-wave the most of your team, and in adition to that Scarf Tyranitar is a realy big threat too, because your team sufers from dark bug stone and electric, and a litle bit of Grass.
Now that i explain wuth a threat to your team, i will explain wuths going to stop them.
Cloyster is not that good in OU is much outclased by other things, and its not just that is one of your pokemons that make the team weak to those types that i mentionated, i was thinking in changing every pokemon in the team but that wouldn't be good, then a tough in a SkarmChan core to add your team the pokemons that i would change for SkarmChan would be Cloyster and Entei, with those changes your team will, the team will have a stone and bug resist, the other 2 types chansey can resist, but you will be still fighting weak, and Starmie is not a mega loppuny answer, in fact your team is realy weak to that, i was thinking in using controlerDefensive hazard mew will help you take better that, and that will make your Starmie not needed any more and free up a space for a realy good pokemon that's defensive pivot Landorus-T with stealth rock, that will make you even less weak to rock and bug, gives you a intimidate
help, a check to Heatran and for last Electric types switch in that has lack of HP ice and Lando-I.
I think that the team is even better and can get top1 now, and my changes will make your team more bulky, and hazard stacker.
Hopefully i helped you with my rate and i will leave the inportable after the changes.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Counter
(changed for Cloyster, shed shell not be traped set is standard.)
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Aromatherapy
( for entei, your cleric and Skarm helper, not much to say about that.)
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss

Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Roost (its a hazard controler mew helps Honch and can Criple faster threats, for Honch again.)
- Thunder Wave/Toxic

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Pursuit ( good set not much to say about this.)
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 200 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
(for starmie and its your rock setter and bird spam cheker.)
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Protect/ Calm Mind/ Rock Polish
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
(your Mega Sableye answer and set up sweeper, main win condition.)
- Earth Power
Um dude, this team is very good already. Why are you trying to make it a completely different team with a completely different playstyle?

Its not good, the team is full of weakness, try to use a teambuilder to see how many weakness it has.
He is weak to many things but that's because he is playing more of a Hyper Offense team. You can't just throw a Skarmory-Chansey + Lando core and change the playstyle completely from HO to Stall/semi stall.
Also when you build a team you dont always check the type weaknesses your team has (especially if you play HO) but the viability of the pokemon in the tier.
Yes, the team may need improvements but that's different from what you are doing.
Nothing wrong in suggesting different pokemon to use but changing the playstyle isn't rating a team.

Last edited:
Its not good, the team is full of weakness, try to use a teambuilder to see how many weakness it has.
As Riahi touched upon above, the whole point of team rating is to assess what the team does as a whole, then figure out what each Pokemon does to contribute to that whole. If you can figure Pokemon or movesets that can improve upon those, great. You shouldn't go in changing Pokemon that will completely remove the feel of the original team.

As Riahi touched upon above, the whole point of team rating is to assess what the team does as a whole, then figure out what each Pokemon does to contribute to that whole. If you can figure Pokemon or movesets that can improve upon those, great. You shouldn't go in changing Pokemon that will completely remove the feel of the original team.
Exactly , ill have to aggre with this guy and say that he is really in trouble vs electric and rock types like thundurus rotoms and the new MEGA manectric which shits ont he team with voltswitch from 135 modest max SAttack will hurt you a lot and ko starmie and honch and literally if they have a pursuiter too you can fail to someone using it just like you! Tyrannytar is looking at you.

Thanks for the rates, even the (lol) skarmchansey one. The 5 rank was somewhat a good run and higher than the team deserved considering its weaknesses. Many a Mega Manetric has been pursuit trapped by Honch fearing a sucker punch, so you do need to win a lot of predictions at times to get the most out of the team. If TTar comes in on starmie, that's a free switch-in for Diancie or Cloyster. Starmie is really good against offence since it is only outsped by Mega Mane and Mega Lopunny.

This isn't a balance team (lol teambuilder) as others have said but more of a funky HO, although it'd be great to fit a ground type in somewhere.

Last edited:
Hey, I really love your team. Honchrow is awesome, and it's great that you found success using such under appreciated mons. I used your team for a few games, and one glaring weakness really stood out to me. This guy:

Seriously, how do you deal with rotom? Most water types are actually pretty threatening to this team. I haven't tested it out, but I feel like Mega Sceptile would be a good replacement for Diancie. Diancie really didn't seem to be doing a whole lot of work. This could also patch up your electric weakness you were talking about.

Maybe use this set:

Sceptile(Mega)@Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow (Lightning Rod)
Nature: Hasty
EVs: 76 Atk / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
-Leaf Storm/Energy Ball/Giga Drain
-Earthquake
-Dragon Pulse
-HP Fire

Speed evs are to outrun mega loppuny/manetric. Rest is poured into offense.

This does however make you vulnerable to dragon spam, so to fix this, I'd recommend maybe replacing starmie with Azumarill. Rapid spin is nice but I don't feel like it's necessary on this team.

Last edited:
I like mega Sceptile and I want to make a team with it, but it is a bit weak and not much of a stallbreaker.

I do think other stuff in the Diancie slot is worth trying

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)