Murkrow (Life Orb)

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/murkrow

---

[Overview]
<p>Despite terrible defenses and a lack of overall power, Murkrow can often be a valuable team member. Possessing potent STAB moves and a fantastic ability in Insomnia, which allows him to switch into the common Venusaur's Sleep Powder, Murkrow has the potential to wreak the havoc that his evolution, Honchkrow, once did upon the tier. However, though faster than his evolution, Murkrow lacks the same raw power - he is not a Pokemon to simply throw onto a team as a wallbreaker. Indeed, Murkrow requires quite a bit of support to be effective.</p>

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Heat Wave
move 4: Hidden Power Grass
item: Life Orb
ability: Insomnia
nature: Hasty / Naive
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Though by far not the most powerful wallbreaker in the tier, Murkrow's makes up for his mediocre Attack with powerful STAB moves in Brave Bird and Sucker Punch. Heat Wave dents Registeel and Steelix switch-ins, while Hidden Power Grass 2HKOes Omastar and Rhyperior. Despite the fact that Life Orb adds even more passive damage in addition to Brave Bird recoil and Stealth Rock, it is needed to bolster Murkrow's lackluster Attack.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EVs listed are simple - Attack is maxed to grant Murkrow as much power as possible, and maxing Speed allows him to outspeed the common base 80 Pokemon in the tier, such as Venusaur, whom Murkrow can OHKO with Brave Bird. Due to Murkrow's generally low damage output, however, entry hazard support is almost a necessity - after Spikes and Stealth Rock damage, Pokemon other than dedicated walls or those with resistances to Murkrow's STAB moves will find it difficult to avoid a 2HKO.</p>

<p>Murkrow is best compared to Swellow, one of the most powerful sweepers in the tier, with access to Guts to boost his own Brave Bird. The factor that stops Murkrow from being outclassed by Swellow is his decent Special Attack, which, for instance, allows him to 2HKO Omastar and Rhyperior, two Pokemon whom Swellow can never break without the help of his teammates. Murkrow also has a strong priority move in Sucker Punch, which can super effectively hit threats such as Scarf Rotom, against whom Swellow would be helpless. He plays a very different role than other wallbreakers such as Kabutops and Blaziken - the latter seek to break through the cores of teams with brute force and high coverage, while Murkrow makes good use of his relatively high Speed to pick off weakened threats and dent switch-ins for other Pokemon to defeat.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>As with any offensive Pokemon, Stealth Rock support is greatly appreciated, especially since Murkrow can decimate the opposition with a relatively quick Brave Bird. Donphan makes a good teammate for Murkrow due to his resistance to Rock- and Electric-type attacks. He also has access to Rapid Spin, meaning Murkrow can switch in multiple times without dying from the combination of Stealth Rock, Life Orb, and Brave Bird recoil. Despite Murkrow having pitifully low defenses, he still appreciates dual screen support, which allows him to comfortably switch into resisted hits such as Venusaur's Power Whip. Due to its overall bulk and wide support movepool, Uxie makes a great user of dual screens for Murkrow, while Murkrow also resists Uxie's Dark- and Ghost- type weaknesses.</p>

<p>Milotic causes problems for this set, so Pokemon such as Venusaur or Lanturn are recommended, as they can severely damage the bulky Water-type. Torterra makes light work of Registeel, Aggron, and Steelix, but he must be wary of the occasional Ice Punch from the first two Pokemon. These Pokemon also cover each other's weaknesses very well, allowing for easy switch-ins. Wallbreakers such as Kabutops and Blaziken also work well with Murkrow, breaking down teams so that he can pick off weakened Pokemon. Dugtrio can trap and finish off weakened Steelix and Registeel; however, it cannot switch into their attacks, as his defenses are even worse than those of Murkrow.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Murkrow has multiple support moves, such as Whirlwind and Featherdance, that are unfortunately unusable due to his extremely low defenses. However, Murkrow can make relatively good use of Substitute to ease prediction on switches, but Stealth Rock damage combined with Life Orb and Brave Bird recoil lead to a swift demise when taking into account the 25% health sacrifice for Substitute. Murkrow has access to Roost, but there is little time to use it, and time is much better spent using Brave Bird. A Lonely nature is possible, but Murkrow needs all the Speed he can get - indeed, it is Murkrow's redeeming factor. Murkrow can use Hidden Power Fighting to nail Aggron, but Hidden Power Grass is generally superior.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Though Life Orb Heat Wave can heavily damage it, Registeel easily survives and can cripple Murkrow with Thunder Wave or take a sizable portion of health simply with Iron Head. Steelix, although he has lower Special Defense, performs in the same way as Registeel, though he lacks Thunder Wave. Rotom is also a great counter as defensive variants can neuter Murkrow with paralysis or a burn. If outspeeding Murkrow is not possible, strong priority moves, such as Aqua Jet from Azumarill, can also deal with Murkrow. Be warned, however, that Sucker Punch will still strike and inflict decent damage. Milotic makes a decent counter - though not able to switch into repeated Brave Birds, she can use Recover to negate the damage.</p>

Murkrow is best compared to Sharpedo; superb pure offensive power coupled with paper-thin defenses. Murkrow, however, has access to instant recovery in the form of Roost, arguably better typing, and the ability Insomnia.

[SET]
move 2: Hidden Power Grass
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Heatwave

• This set is focused on punching holes into teams with powerful STAB moves.
  • Hp Grass 2HKO's Omastar and Rhyperior while Heatwave hits Steelix and Registeel for decent damage.
  • Other Options include Roost and Substitute; The former is a situational move that helps with Stealth Rock, Brave Bird and Life Orb Recoil. While the later eases prediction and helps to dodge status.
  • Counters: Milotic, Registeel, Steelix, Rotom, Aggron
  • Teammates: Venusuar and Lanturn makes for an excellent Milotic switch-in and Torterra handles Registeel, Aggron, and Steelix well. Lanturn can additionally deal with Rotom, has access to Heal Bell, and lures Earthquakes. Wallbreakers like SD Kabutops or Blaziken work in unison with Murkrow to breakdown teams with minimal effort.

Dammit, I knew I should have attempted to put Murkrow up.

I personally used this as a lead because it's actually pretty good there IMO if your prediction's up to par, and it's not like it can switch in on anything other than immunities. I wanted to comment more but the set's basically covered already and I think it deserves the seals.

But actually, it might be worth comparing Murkrow to Swellow, too. Swellow has priority and more power, but its SpA is pretty fail which means no HP Grass I guess.

This set also sounds fun. Why not use Heat Wave or Pursuit in the last slot? Roost with those pathetic defenses....

I tested this set (played about 20 matches, won all of them lol).

It is actually very surprisingly good, but I think you need to make some adjustments to the description.

Firstly, Heat Wave is indeed more useful than Roost. Roost is actually useless as far as I'm concerned.

This set needs SR + Spikes Support. This allows it to abuse Venusaur's forced switch into a steel-type of some sort, and allows you to pick off their health since none of them have reliable recovery.

It needs to be paired with Wallbreakers like SD Kabutops or Blaziken to weaken the opponent as well. With holes in the opponent's defenses, they won't be able to deal with Murkrow as easily.

Once these changes are added I'll approve it.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Worth noting that though this can be approved and written if QC likes it, it can't be uploaded until a full Murkrow analysis is written. Do you wish to write a full analysis?

Also in LC SubKrow is awesome. Lets you take advantage of unknown switches against predicted Sucker Punches, and is a fun move against anything that does not flat out attack. Don't know how much will carry over to UU, but maybe worth thinking about/testing.

I've used Murkrow a lot in NU (I was the one who started using it as an Espeon counter) and I felt I should say Roost is completely useless. Murkrow has too frail of defenses to make good use of it, unless you are up against something that only has SToss. Substitute or Heat Wave is a better option. Its basically an un-choiced choice user, if that makes any sense. You won't be setting up, but you won't live for long, so Sub is good cause it eases prediction for Sucker Punch, but Heat Wave lets you hit shit like Registeel.

Pursuit can also work in the last slot to get Choiced Pychic mons locked into Psychic or Scarf Venu locked into EQ (does like ~45% to it on the switch). But yeah, Murkrow is a great pokemon. You have to run a +Spe nature and Max Speed to outrun base 90s and be able to hit them with Sucker Punch. Notable pokemon is Zangoose who runs Jolly and Quick Attack so you wouldn't be able to hit it with Sucker Punch if you weren't +Spe. I realize he isn't a big threat, in UU but I know Arcanine is with ES so I guess same principles apply.

<%whistle> breloom (BAN ME PLEASE) uu is not nu
<breloom> ?__?
<+Dubulous> lol
<breloom> are you referencing my post about krow?
<%whistle> yeah that one
<breloom> well i mean
<breloom> If roost doesnt work in NU
<breloom> its inclined not to work in UU
<%whistle> y
<breloom> and base 41 with a -nature isn't really opening up tons of room for it to heal
<breloom> I always felt it should be used more as a suicide attacker

last two lines basically sum up what i was trying to say if the earlier stuff was tl;dr also so whistle doesnt infract.

Worth noting that though this can be approved and written if QC likes it, it can't be uploaded until a full Murkrow analysis is written. Do you wish to write a full analysis?
To be perfectly honest I don't believe that I would want to.

As for the additional comments; Roost has been replaced with Heatwave. Roost, Substitute, and Pursuit have been moved to what would be Other Options. I have not tested Heatwave yet however, it's effectiveness on the set is fairly obvious so I edited that in. Substitute I have also not tested however it was put into other options because after a Sub you generally get 2 Brave Birds before recoil demolishes you. I opted to keep Roost in Other Options due to previous experiences. Murkrow can and will force a switch and so options such as Roost, Pursuit, T-Wave, etc... are viable options in the last slot.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I played around with this, and I was pleasantly surprised. Heat Wave is definitely necessary, although I haven't used Hidden Power Grass that much. I'll try Roost over it and see how that goes, because there have been a few occasions where I would have liked recovery. Also, I think Dugtrio should be mentioned as a teammate since Registeel in particular is a pain to face for this set.

Also, Heat Wave should be probably placed before HP Grass in the move order.

ya it good

im using it with cb rhyperior cause it loves when registeel tries to switch in. also they both kinda bait in milotic for each other.

naughty lonely also should be slashed over hasty. it doesn't really matter if its nature is -sdef or -def too much cause its not surviving decently powered attacks anyways (lol venusaur ohkoes with power whip) but its sdef might be useful to check shadow ball hp fight subcm mismagius or something (crazy scenario i know but i literally cannot think of anything that its defense would be used for).

edit: lonely not naughty

Alchemator

I think I could write this.

I'll test with Subkrow and see how things go. I'm also a poet, did you not know it?

Team Options needs to be a bit more in depth. You should have at least one general paragraph (for things like SR, weather, screens, etc.), one for offensive teammates, and one for defensive teammates.

Alchemator

Bump. I think this is ready for grammar checking now unless there are any objections?

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
---

[Overview]
<p>Despite terrible defenses and a lack of overall power, Murkrow can often be a valuable team member. Due to a fantastic ability in Insomnia, allowing it to switch into the common Venusaur's Sleep Powder, and potent STAB moves Murkrow has the potential to wreak the havoc that its evolution, Honchkrow, once did upon the tier. However, though faster than its evolutionary counterpart, Murkrow lacks the same raw power - it is not a Pokemon to simply throw onto a team as a wallbreaker. Indeed, Murkrow requires quite a bit of support to be effective.</p>

[SET]
move 3: Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Heat Wave

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Though by far not the most powerful wallbreaker in the tier, Murkrow makes up for its mediocre Attack with its powerful STAB moves in Brave Bird and Sucker Punch. Hidden Power Grass 2HKOes Omastar and Rhyperior, while Heat Wave dents Registeel and Steelix switch-ins. Despite the fact that Life Orb adds even more passive damage in addition to Brave Bird recoil and a Stealth Rock weakness, it is needed to bolster Murkrow's lackluster Attack.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EVs listed are simple - Attack is maxed to afford Murkrow as much power as possible, whereas maxing Speed allows it to outspeed the common base 80 Pokemon in the tier, such as Venusaur, whom Murkrow can OHKO with Brave Bird. Due to Murkrow's generally low damage output, however, entry hazard support is almost a necessity - after Spikes and Stealth Rock damage, Pokemon other than dedicated walls or resisters will find it difficult to avoid a 2HKO. Life Orb is used to bolster Murkrow's slightly lackluster [maybe different word choice?] Attack, giving it the power to punch holes in the opponent's team.</p>

<p>Murkrow is best compared to Swellow - one of the most powerful sweepers in the tier with access to Guts to boost its own Brave Bird. The factor that stops Murkrow from being outclassed by Swellow is its decent Special Attack - allowing it to 2HKO Omastar and Rhyperior, two Pokemon whom Swellow could never break without the help of its teammates. Murkrow also provides a strong priority move in Sucker Punch, using its Dark-type STAB to nail threats, such as Scarf Rotom, against whom Swellow would be helpless against. It plays a very different role to other wallbreakers such as Blaziken - the latter [i think you may be missing a Pokémon here, since "latter" refers to the second or last in a series, and you only have Blaziken listed here] seeks to break through the cores of teams with brute force and high coverage, while Murkrow makes good use of its relatively high speed to pick off weakened threats and dent switch-ins for other Pokemon to defeat.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>As with any offensive Pokemon, Stealth Rock is greatly appreciated, especially due to Murkrow's tendency to decimate the opposition with a relatively quick Brave Bird. Donphan makes a good teammate for Murkrow, due to its resistance to Rock- and Electric-type attacks. It also has access to Rapid Spin, meaning Murkrow can switch in multiple times without dying from the combination of Stealth Rock, Life Orb, and Brave Bird recoil. Despite Murkrow having pitifully low defenses, it still appreciates screen support, allowing it to comfortably switch into resisted hits - no longer will Murkrow die to a Power Whip from Venusaur. Due to its overall bulk and wide support movepool, Uxie makes a great user of dual screens for Murkrow, while Murkrow also resists Uxie's Dark- and Ghost- type weaknesses.</p>

<p>Milotic causes problems for this set, so Pokemon such as Venusaur or Lanturn are recommended, as they can severely damage the bulky Water-type. Torterra makes light work of Registeel, Aggron, and Steelix but must be wary of the occasional Ice Punch from the first two Pokemon. These Pokemon also cover each other's weaknesses very well, allowing for an easy switch-in. Wallbreakers, such as Kabutops and Blaziken also work well with Murkrow, breaking down teams so that it can pick off weakened Pokemon. Brave Bird and Life Orb recoil add up very quickly, so Rapid Spin support ensures that Murkrow lives longer to cause havoc.</p>

[the above paragraph has some spacing issues]

[Optional Changes]
<p>Murkrow gains multiple support moves, such as Whirlwind and Featherdance, that are unfortunately unusable due to its extremely low defenses. However, Murkrow can make relatively good use of Substitute to ease prediction on switches, but Stealth Rock damage combined with Life Orb and Brave Bird recoil lead to a swift demise when taking into account the 25% health sacrifice for Substitute. Murkrow has access to Roost, but there is little time to use it, and time is much better spent using Brave Bird. A Lonely nature is possible, but Murkrow needs all the Speed it can get - indeed, it is Murkrow's redeeming factor. Murkrow can use Hidden Power Fighting to nail Aggron, but generally Hidden Power Grass is superior.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Though being damaged by a Life Orbed Heat Wave can heavily damage it, Registeel easily survives and can cripple Murkrow with Thunder Wave or take a sizable portion of health simply with Iron Head. Steelix, although it has lower Special Defense, performs in the same way as Registeel, though it lacks Thunder Wave. Rotom is also a great counter - defensive variants can neuter Murkrow with paralysis or a burn while Scarf variants can outspeed and OHKO Murkrow with a super effective Thunderbolt. If outspeeding Murkrow is not possible, strong priority users, such as Aqua Jet from Azumarill, can also deal with Murkrow it falls to strong priority such as Aqua Jet from Azumarill. Be warned, however, that Sucker Punch will still strike and inflict decent damage.</p>
Good job, comments in brackets.

GP Check 1/2

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I found it odd that you mentioned Scarf Rotom as a counter to this set, being able to simply Thunderbolt for the KO, when you have Sucker Punch... I think that part should be tweaked as something along the lines of "Rotom can make use of Trick and shield itself against Sucker Punch, forcing Honchrow to use its resisted STAB". Of course Scarf WoW is a possiblity as well. Outside of that it seems awesome =)

Alchemator

I found it odd that you mentioned Scarf Rotom as a counter to this set, being able to simply Thunderbolt for the KO, when you have Sucker Punch...
I've been thinking about this for a while and was about to remove it and then forgot, thanks for reminding me.

As of this edit the first grammar check has been incorporated.

jc104

Humblest person ever
[Overview]
<p>Despite terrible defenses and a lack of overall power, Murkrow can often be a valuable team member. Due to a fantastic ability in Insomnia, allowing him to switch into the common Venusaur's Sleep Powder, and potent STAB moves Murkrow has the potential to wreak the havoc that his evolution, Honchkrow, once did upon the tier. However, though faster than his evolutionary counterpart, Murkrow lacks the same raw power – he is not a Pokemon to simply throw onto a team as a wallbreaker. Indeed, Murkrow requires quite a bit of support to be effective.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Though by far not the most powerful wallbreaker in the tier, Murkrow makes up for his mediocre Attack with his powerful STAB moves in Brave Bird and Sucker Punch. Hidden Power Grass 2HKOes Omastar and Rhyperior, while Heat Wave dents Registeel and Steelix switch-ins. Despite the fact that Life Orb adds even more passive damage in addition to Brave Bird recoil and a Stealth Rock weakness, it is needed to bolster Murkrow's lackluster Attack.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EVs listed are simple - Attack is maxed to afford Murkrow as much power as possible, and maxing Speed allows him to outspeed the common base 80 Pokemon in the tier, such as Venusaur, whom Murkrow can OHKO with Brave Bird. Due to Murkrow's generally low damage output, however, entry hazard support is almost a necessity - after Spikes and Stealth Rock damage, Pokemon other than dedicated walls or resisters will find it difficult to avoid a 2HKO. Life Orb is used to bolster Murkrow's slightly lackluster Attack, giving him the power to punch holes in the opponent's team.</p>

<p>Murkrow is best compared to Swellow - one of the most powerful sweepers in the tier with access to Guts to boost his own Brave Bird. The factor that stops Murkrow from being outclassed by Swellow is his decent Special Attack - allowing him to 2HKO Omastar and Rhyperior, two Pokemon whom Swellow could never break without the help of his teammates. Murkrow also provides a strong priority move in Sucker Punch, using his Dark-type STAB to nail threats, such as Scarf Rotom, against whom Swellow would be helpless. He plays a very different role to other wallbreakers such as Kabutops and Blaziken - the latter seeks to break through the cores of teams with brute force and high coverage, while Murkrow makes good use of his relatively high speed to pick off weakened threats and dent switch-ins for other Pokemon to defeat.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>As with any offensive Pokemon, Stealth Rock is greatly appreciated, especially since Murkrow's candecimate the opposition with a relatively quick Brave Bird. Donphan makes a good teammate for Murkrow, due to his resistance to Rock- and Electric-type attacks. He also has access to Rapid Spin, meaning Murkrow can switch in multiple times without dying from the combination of Stealth Rock, Life Orb, and Brave Bird recoil. Despite Murkrow having pitifully low defenses he still appreciates screen support, allowing him to comfortably switch into resisted hits - no longer will Murkrow die to a Power Whip from Venusaur. Due to its overall bulk and wide support movepool, Uxie makes a great user of dual screens for Murkrow, while Murkrow also resists Uxie's Dark- and Ghost- type weaknesses.</p>

<p>Milotic causes problems for this set, so Pokemon such as Venusaur or Lanturn are recommended, as they can severely damage the bulky Water-type. Torterra makes light work of Registeel, Aggron, and Steelix but must be wary of the occasional Ice Punch from the first two Pokemon. These Pokemon also cover each other's weaknesses very well, allowing for an easy switch-in. Wallbreakers, such as Kabutops and Blaziken also work well with Murkrow, breaking down teams so that he can pick off weakened Pokemon. Brave Bird and Life Orb recoil add up very quickly, so Rapid Spin support ensures that Murkrow lives longer to cause havoc (already covered).</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Murkrow gains multiple support moves, such as Whirlwind and Featherdance, that are unfortunately unusable due to his extremely low defenses. However, Murkrow can make relatively good use of Substitute to ease prediction on switches, but Stealth Rock damage combined with Life Orb and Brave Bird recoil lead to a swift demise when taking into account the 25% health sacrifice for Substitute. Murkrow has access to Roost, but there is little time to use it, and time is much better spent using Brave Bird. A Lonely nature is possible, but Murkrow needs all the Speed he can get - indeed, it is Murkrow's redeeming factor. Murkrow can use Hidden Power Fighting to nail Aggron, but generally Hidden Power Grass is superior.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Though Life Orbed Heat Wave can heavily damage it, Registeel easily survives and can cripple Murkrow with Thunder Wave or take a sizable portion of health simply with Iron Head. Steelix, although he has lower Special Defense, performs in the same way as Registeel, though he lacks Thunder Wave. Rotom is also a great counter as defensive variants can neuter Murkrow with paralysis or a burn. If outspeeding Murkrow is not possible, strong priority moves, such as Aqua Jet from Azumarill, can also deal with Murkrow. Be warned, however, that Sucker Punch will still strike and inflict decent damage.</p>
Excellent analysis (didn't find much - maybe Bojangles is too good). Changes are in bold an removals in red. Mainly just it/he changes as per the new guidelines, and a few missing spaces.

GP Check 2/2

Alchemator

Second set of grammar checks incorporated, and with that I believe we're ready for upload!

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
Final proofread

pink is grammatical edits
blue is prose/content edits

[Overview]
<p>Despite terrible defenses and a lack of overall power, Murkrow can often be a valuable team member. Due to a fantastic ability in Insomnia, allowing him to switch into the common Venusaur's Sleep Powder, and potent STAB moves, Murkrow has the potential to wreak the havoc that his evolution, Honchkrow, once did upon the tier. However, though faster than his evolutionary counterpart, Murkrow lacks the same raw power – he is not a Pokemon to simply throw onto a team as a wallbreaker. Indeed, Murkrow requires quite a bit of support to be effective.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Though by far not the most powerful wallbreaker in the tier, Murkrow makes up for his mediocre Attack with his powerful STAB moves in Brave Bird and Sucker Punch. Hidden Power Grass 2HKOes Omastar and Rhyperior, while Heat Wave dents Registeel and Steelix switch-ins. Despite the fact that Life Orb adds even more passive damage in addition to Brave Bird recoil and a Stealth Rock weakness, it is needed to bolster Murkrow's lackluster Attack.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EVs listed are simple - Attack is maxed to grant Murkrow as much power as possible, and maxing Speed allows him to outspeed the common base 80 Pokemon in the tier, such as Venusaur, whom Murkrow can OHKO with Brave Bird. Due to Murkrow's generally low damage output, however, entry hazard support is almost a necessity - after Spikes and Stealth Rock damage, Pokemon other than dedicated walls or with resistances to Murkrow's STAB moves will find it difficult to avoid a 2HKO.</p>

<p>Murkrow is best compared to Swellow, one of the most powerful sweepers in the tier with access to Guts to boost his own Brave Bird. The factor that stops Murkrow from being outclassed by Swellow is his decent Special Attack, allowing him to 2HKO Omastar and Rhyperior, two Pokemon whom Swellow could never break without the help of his teammates. Murkrow also provides a strong priority move in Sucker Punch, using his Dark-type STAB to nail threats, such as Scarf Rotom, against whom Swellow would be helpless. He plays a very different role to other wallbreakers such as Kabutops and Blaziken - the latter seeks to break through the cores of teams with brute force and high coverage, while Murkrow makes good use of his relatively high Speed to pick off weakened threats and dent switch-ins for other Pokemon to defeat.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>As with any offensive Pokemon, Stealth Rock support is greatly appreciated, especially since Murkrow can decimate the opposition with a relatively quick Brave Bird. Donphan makes a good teammate for Murkrow due to his resistance to Rock- and Electric-type attacks. He also has access to Rapid Spin, meaning Murkrow can switch in multiple times without dying from the combination of Stealth Rock, Life Orb, and Brave Bird recoil. Despite Murkrow having pitifully low defenses he still appreciates dual screen support, allowing him to comfortably switch into resisted hits such as Venusaur's Power Whip. Due to its overall bulk and wide support movepool, Uxie makes a great user of dual screens for Murkrow, while Murkrow also resists Uxie's Dark- and Ghost- type weaknesses.</p>

<p>Milotic causes problems for this set, so Pokemon such as Venusaur or Lanturn are recommended, as they can severely damage the bulky Water-type. Torterra makes light work of Registeel, Aggron, and Steelix, but must be wary of the occasional Ice Punch from the first two Pokemon. These Pokemon also cover each other's weaknesses very well, allowing for an easy switch-in. Wallbreakers such as Kabutops and Blaziken also work well with Murkrow, breaking down teams so that he can pick off weakened Pokemon.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Murkrow gains multiple support moves, such as Whirlwind and Featherdance, that are unfortunately unusable due to his extremely low defenses. However, Murkrow can make relatively good use of Substitute to ease prediction on switches, but Stealth Rock damage combined with Life Orb and Brave Bird recoil lead to a swift demise when taking into account the 25% health sacrifice for Substitute. Murkrow has access to Roost, but there is little time to use it, and time is much better spent using Brave Bird. A Lonely nature is possible, but Murkrow needs all the Speed he can get - indeed, it is Murkrow's redeeming factor. Murkrow can use Hidden Power Fighting to nail Aggron, but Hidden Power Grass is generally superior.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Though Life Orb Heat Wave can heavily damage it, Registeel easily survives and can cripple Murkrow with Thunder Wave or take a sizable portion of health simply with Iron Head. Steelix, although he has lower Special Defense, performs in the same way as Registeel, though he lacks Thunder Wave. Rotom is also a great counter as defensive variants can neuter Murkrow with paralysis or a burn. If outspeeding Murkrow is not possible, strong priority moves, such as Aqua Jet from Azumarill, can also deal with Murkrow. Be warned, however, that Sucker Punch will still strike and inflict decent damage.</p>

Nice job. There were a lot of words that ran together with no spaces, but I think that probably came from C+Ping people's edits.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion

---

[Overview]
<p>Despite terrible defenses and a lack of overall power, Murkrow can often be a valuable team member. Due to possessing a fantastic ability in Insomnia, which allows him to switch into the common Venusaur's Sleep Powder, and potent STAB moves, Murkrow has the potential to wreak the havoc that his evolution, Honchkrow, once did upon the tier. However, though faster than his evolution, Murkrow lacks the same raw power – he is not a Pokemon to simply throw onto a team as a wallbreaker. Indeed, Murkrow requires quite a bit of support to be effective.</p>

[SET]
move 3: Heat Wave
move 4: Hidden Power Grass

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Though by far not the most powerful wallbreaker in the tier, Murkrow makes up for his mediocre Attack with his powerful STAB moves in Brave Bird and Sucker Punch. Heat Wave dents Registeel and Steelix switch-ins, while Hidden Power Grass 2HKOes Omastar and Rhyperior. Despite the fact that Life Orb adds even more passive damage in addition to Brave Bird recoil and Stealth Rock, it is needed to bolster Murkrow's lackluster Attack.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EVs listed are simple - Attack is maxed to grant Murkrow as much power as possible, and maxing Speed allows him to outspeed the common base 80 Pokemon in the tier, such as Venusaur, whom Murkrow can OHKO with Brave Bird. Due to Murkrow's generally low damage output, however, entry hazard support is almost a necessity - after Spikes and Stealth Rock damage, Pokemon other than dedicated walls or those with resistances to Murkrow's STAB moves will find it difficult to avoid a 2HKO.</p>

<p>Murkrow is best compared to Swellow, one of the most powerful sweepers in the tier, with access to Guts to boost his own Brave Bird. The factor that stops Murkrow from being outclassed by Swellow is his decent Special Attack, which, for instance, allows him to 2HKO Omastar and Rhyperior, two Pokemon whom Swellow can never break without the help of his teammates. Murkrow also has a strong priority move in Sucker Punch, which can super effectively hit threats such as Scarf Rotom, against whom Swellow would be helpless. He plays a very different role than other wallbreakers such as Kabutops and Blaziken - the latter seek to break through the cores of teams with brute force and high coverage, while Murkrow makes good use of his relatively high Speed to pick off weakened threats and dent switch-ins for other Pokemon to defeat.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>As with any offensive Pokemon, Stealth Rock support is greatly appreciated, especially since Murkrow can decimate the opposition with a relatively quick Brave Bird. Donphan makes a good teammate for Murkrow due to his resistance to Rock- and Electric-type attacks. He also has access to Rapid Spin, meaning Murkrow can switch in multiple times without dying from the combination of Stealth Rock, Life Orb, and Brave Bird recoil. Despite Murkrow having pitifully low defenses, he still appreciates dual screen support, which allows him to comfortably switch into resisted hits such as Venusaur's Power Whip. Due to its overall bulk and wide support movepool, Uxie makes a great user of dual screens for Murkrow, while Murkrow also resists Uxie's Dark- and Ghost- type weaknesses.</p>

<p>Milotic causes problems for this set, so Pokemon such as Venusaur or Lanturn are recommended, as they can severely damage the bulky Water-type. Torterra makes light work of Registeel, Aggron, and Steelix, but he must be wary of the occasional Ice Punch from the first two Pokemon. These Pokemon also cover each other's weaknesses very well, allowing for easy switch-ind. Wallbreakers such as Kabutops and Blaziken also work well with Murkrow, breaking down teams so that he can pick off weakened Pokemon.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Murkrow gains multiple support moves, such as Whirlwind and Featherdance, that are unfortunately unusable due to his extremely low defenses. However, Murkrow can make relatively good use of Substitute to ease prediction on switches, but Stealth Rock damage combined with Life Orb and Brave Bird recoil lead to a swift demise when taking into account the 25% health sacrifice for Substitute. Murkrow has access to Roost, but there is little time to use it, and time is much better spent using Brave Bird. A Lonely nature is possible, but Murkrow needs all the Speed he can get - indeed, it is Murkrow's redeeming factor. Murkrow can use Hidden Power Fighting to nail Aggron, but Hidden Power Grass is generally superior.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Though Life Orb Heat Wave can heavily damage it, Registeel easily survives and can cripple Murkrow with Thunder Wave or take a sizable portion of health simply with Iron Head. Steelix, although he has lower Special Defense, performs in the same way as Registeel, though he lacks Thunder Wave. Rotom is also a great counter as defensive variants can neuter Murkrow with paralysis or a burn. If outspeeding Murkrow is not possible, strong priority moves, such as Aqua Jet from Azumarill, can also deal with Murkrow. Be warned, however, that Sucker Punch will still strike and inflict decent damage.</p>
Mention Dugtrio in the teammates section for taking out Registeel as well as weakened Steelix, Omastar, etc. Also mention Milotic in the counters section.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)