1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Murkrow(QC 2/2 GP 2/2)

Discussion in 'Uploaded Analyses' started by Biosci, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Biosci

Biosci !
    is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a VGC3 Winner

[​IMG]

Murkrow

[Overview]

<p>Here in VGC, Murkrow finds a great niche with the Prankster ability, which only 6 other Pokemon get. Murkrow really stands out from the others, with its typing and movepool giving it advantages over other Prankster users. With the support moves it has, Murkrow has amazing potential to fit on nearly any team. However, Murkrow is not without its drawbacks. It has 60 / 42 / 42 defenses, meaning even with as much invested bulk as possible and an Eviolite, it won't be able to take many hits from the opposition. Its weaknesses to common spread moves in VGC, such as Discharge, Rock Slide, and Blizzard, can be a thorn in your side. This is no big problem though, as the benefits Prankster provides easily outweigh these downsides. Murkrow may seem a somewhat odd Pokemon, but when used correctly, it can wreak havoc upon the opposing team.</p>

[SET]
    name: Prankster Abuse
    move 1: Quash
    move 2:
    FeatherDance
    move 3: Thunder Wave / Tailwind
    move 4: Protect / Taunt
    item: Eviolite
    nature: Calm
    ability: Prankster
    evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Murkrow has all the right tools it needs to abuse Prankster to its fullest. Quash forces attacks such as Rock Slide and Earthquake to move last, and Murkrow is the only Prankster user to receive access to this excellent move. FeatherDance, essentially a double Intimidate, is another unique tool, lowering your opponents Attack stat by two stages. The third move can be a tough choice: Thunder Wave is very useful to cripple sweepers and prevent common speedy threats from sweeping your team, but Tailwind virtually guarantees that your team is faster than your opponent's, giving you a nice sweeping opportunity. The last move is also preferential. Protect is a staple in VGC play because it is useful on nearly anything; Protect enables Murkrow to avoid damage for a turn or Protect itself when the opponent might double target it while Murkrow's partner goes in for the KO. Taunt allows Murkrow to prevent Trick Room from being set up, ruins Amoonguss's attempts to Spore, and so on. Furthermore, Murkrow is one of the few Pokemon able to outspeed and Taunt Prankster Sableye.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs and nature give Murkrow as much special bulk as possible, because most of the time, Murkrow has FeatherDance to stop physical threats from doing much damage to it. Prankster is one of the only reasons to use Murkrow, and is therefore the obvious choice. Sucker Punch or Brave Bird can be put into the set for attacking options; just change the nature from Calm to Careful. However, do note that Brave Bird's recoil can take a toll on Murkrow's longevity.</p>

<p>Steel-types,
    such as Metagross and Bisharp, can be useful to sponge powerful moves aimed at Murkrow. Most special attacking Trick Room Pokemon pose a threat to Murkrow, as it doesn't have many moves that can hurt them much. Some good teammates to sponge moves from these threats would include Cresselia, Bronzong, or bulky Hitmontop. Murkrow has good synergy with Garchomp because Murkrow is immune to Earthquake, meaning Garchomp can easily fireaway strong Earthquakes at will. Pokemon weak to physical attacks make good teammates to go with Murkrow, because it can support them with FeatherDance, granting its teammates many setup opportunities.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>For a special attacking option, you can run Snarl. While you lose priority in doing so,
    it allows Murkrow to mess with opposing special attackers. Confuse Ray is a decent choice if you feel lucky enough to use it. Perish Song is a cool option to force switches, but VGC battles are very fast-paced, making this less of an option than in standard play. Roost is another option, but Murkrow is very frail and might not be able to make much use of extra health. Focus Sash is also an option to help Murkrow with its frailty issues, but it might limit options for items on other team members, so Eviolite is usually better.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Murkrow is weak to many common spread moves, such as Rock Slide, Discharge, and Blizzard. Special attackers are good checks to Murkrow due to the fact that many aren't bothered by the tools Murkrow uses. Additionally, despite packing FeatherDance, Murkrow will likely still fall to powerful STAB Rock Slide from Pokemon such as Terrakion and Tyranitar. Mental Herb is quite annoying for Murkrow because it removes the attack drop from FeatherDance. This causes Murkrow to waste a turn, which can cost the match in VGC. Finally, due to Clear Body, Murkrow can't do much to Metagross.</p>
  2. Biosci

Biosci !

Ready for QC, this will turn out bad ;>_>
  3. BlackBird

BlackBird

[SET]
    name: Let's be Original
    move 1: Sky Attack
    move 2: Brave Bird
    move 3: Sucker Punch
    move 4: Foul Play
    item: Power Herb
    nature: Adamant Jolly
    ability: Super Luck
    evs: 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP

I like this set because of the huge critical hit chance on an immediate sky attack and the sheer usefulness of a nice stab sucker punch to take out unsuspecting, worn-out sweepers. You need no dream world ability and get to have fun bombing someone with Sky Attack.
  4. Biosci

Biosci !

Yeah sure it's unexpected to see this kind of thing in play, but with a base attack of only 85, you aren't really killing many things that others can do better. Murkrow works best as a Team support due to key access of prankster. Unless someone else gives reason otherwise, I don't feel this should be a set, especially for VGC usage.
  5. BlackBird

BlackBird

Actually I've been using it on PO and it is very effective. With adamant nature it has 295 attack and 281 speed, which works well with such powerful stab moves and pretty good coverage. Also, super luck has helped me out of many a pickle.
  6. Biosci

Biosci !

I'm not sure you if you really know the play style of VGC, but stats are at Level 50. The thing is, I don't see that thing standing a chance against any of the common threats you'll face in the doubles environment. Also you might as well evolve it into Honchcrow as it could run the same exact thing, but better :P
  7. BlackBird

BlackBird

XD My bad i didn't exactly read the whole post, so I wasn't aware you were talking about VGC.
  8. Fantom0

Fantom0

To make up for the 'krow's frailty, you could have Focus Sash. Residual damage is much less common in VGC, so a Sash isn't completely irrelevant.
  9. Biosci

Biosci !

That is for sure an option, but with Eviolite and the EV spread it has is takes some hit's pretty well as it is. Also, the bigger point of keeping Eviolite on Murkrow is to leave the option open to put sash on something else could use it more. I'll make mention in OO for now.
  10. muffinhead

muffinhead b202 wifi vgc
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

good mon, mention metagross in checks and counters too because of clear body and doesnt mind the speed drop from twave. add ttar and pokemon weak to rs / eq to teammates, featherdancing a hitmontop is a good feeling. quash also helps out with slow RS / EQers

qc 1 / 2
  11. Solace

Solace darling i'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

i'd probably slash sucker punch on the set, although its in ac so it's not a big deal

counters are pretty much fast attackers that can hurt murkrow with common spread moves

still a cool mon under trick room though

QC 2/2
  12. breh

breh ⁰ ゝ⁰
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributor

foul play needs mention
    brave bird needs mention

(before anybody laughs, murkrow has 91 base attack, which is actually not bad for a mon that's supposed to be a wall.. brave bird has high bp behind it and foul play is good vs. stuff like metagross)
  13. TrollFreak

TrollFreak (╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Agreging, Brave Bird or Sucker Punch are both great attacking options, as this just looks a Whimsicott, and the thing that set the two apart is that Murkrow can attack as Sucker Punch 2HKOs Latios

At least 1 attack on the main set, maybe over FeatherDance
  14. Solace

Solace darling i'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

the only thing i dont like about bb is the recoil which makes it fairly undesirable

an ac mention would be nice though

not so sure on foul play, maybe other options i guess
  15. Biosci

Biosci !

Gosh you guys were quick o_o

Changes made, Ready for GP
  16. sirndpt

sirndpt
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

[​IMG]

1/2
  17. Biosci

Biosci !

Sweet thanks for the check(Also I have a problem when writing these analysis and tending to reference the trainer as the Pokemon xD) Needs 1 more now.
  18. sirndpt

sirndpt
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

hey OP, just a heads up that a few spaces seem to have gotten lost in translation. give it another read-through or just run it through MS word; it'll make it much easier for the next checker :)
  19. Biosci

Biosci !

Dang that looked horrible :c Thanks for the heads up xD
  20. GatoDelFuego

GatoDelFuego No matter if it seems so hard, friends are near
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor

Amateur Check
    REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Murkrow

[Overview]

<p>Murkrow finds a great niche with the Prankster ability, which only 6 other Pokemon get. Murkrow really stands out from the others, with typing and movepool giving it advantages over other Prankster users. With the support moves it has, Murkrow has amazing potential to fit on nearly any team. Murkrow has defenses of 60 / 42 / 42, meaning even with as much invested bulk as possible, it won't be able to take many hits from the opposition. Its weaknesses to common spread moves in VGC, such as Discharge, Rock Slide, and Blizzard can be a thorn in your side. However, Prankster is worth all of these downsides, and when used correctly, Murkrow can wreak havoc upon the opposing team.</p>

[SET]
    name: Prankster Abuse
    move 1: Quash
    move 2:
    FeatherDance
    move 3: Thunder Wave / Tailwind
    move 4: Protect / Taunt
    item: Eviolite
    nature: Calm
    ability: Prankster
    evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Murkrow has an amazing, yet shallow, movepool that i
    t can use to abuse Prankster. Quash forces attacks such as Rock Slide and Earthquake to move last, and Murkrow is the only Prankster user to receive access to this excellent move. FeatherDance, essentially a double Intimidate, is another unique tool that Murkrow can abuse with Prankster. The third move can be a tough choice: Thunder Wave is very useful to cripple sweepers and prevent common speedy threats from sweeping your team, but Tailwind virtually guarantees that your team is faster than your opponent's, giving you a nice sweeping opportunity. The last move is also preferential. Protect is a staple in VGC play because it is useful on nearly anything; Protect enables Murkrow to avoid damage for a turn, or or protect itself when the opponent might double target it while its partner goes in for the KO. Taunt allows Murkrow to prevent Trick Room from being set up, ruins Amoonguss's attempts to Spore, and so on. Furthermore, Murkrow is one of the few Pokemon able to outspeed and Taunt Prankster Sableye.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs
    and nature give Murkrow as much special bulk as possible, because most of the time, Murkrow has FeatherDance to stop physical threats from doing much damage to it. Prankster is one of the only reasons to use Murkrow, and is therefore the obvious choice. Sucker Punch or Brave Bird can be put into the set for attacking options; just change the nature from Calm to Careful. However, do note that Brave Bird's recoil can take a toll on Murkrow's and reduce its longevity.</p>

<p>Steel-types,
    such as Metagross and Bisharp, can be useful to sponge powerful moves aimed at Murkrow. Most special attacking Trick Room Pokemon pose a threat to Murkrow, as it doesn't have many moves that can hurt them much. Some good teammates to sponge moves from these threats would include, Cresselia, Bronzong, or bulky Hitmontop. Murkrow has good synergy with Garchomp because Murkrow is immune to Earthquake, meaning Garchomp can easily fire them away strong Earthquakes at will. Pokemon weak to physical attacks make good teammates to go with Murkrow, because it can support them with FeatherDance, granting its teammates many setup opportunities.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>For a special attacking option, you can run Snarl. Though you lose priority in doing so,
    it allows Murkrow to mess with opposing special attackers. Confuse Ray is a decent choice if you feel lucky enough to use it. Perish Song is a cool option to force switches, but VGC battles are very fast-paced, making this less of an option than in standard play. Roost is another option, but Murkrow is very frail and might not be able to make much use of extra health. Focus Sash is also an option to help Murkrow with its frailty issues, but it might limit options for items on other team members, so Eviolite is usually better .</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Murkrow
    is weak to many common spread moves, such as Rock Slide, Discharge, and Blizzard. Special attackers are good checks to Murkrow due to the fact that many aren't bothered by other tools Murkrow uses. Additionally, despite packing FeatherDance, Murkrow will likely still fall to powerful STAB Rock Slide from Pokemon such as Terrakion and Tyranitar. Mental Herb is quite annoying for Murkrow because it removes the attack drop from FeatherDance. This often makes Murkrow waste a turn, which can cost the match in VGC. Finally, due to Clear Body, Murkrow can't do much to Metagross.</p>
  21. Biosci

Biosci !

Changes made
  22. Shame That

Shame That night after night
    is a Battle Server Moderatoris a Contributor Alumnus

REMOVE ADD COMMENTS

Show Hide

Hmm. Well, this was a pretty good analysis, but you seem to have some common points where you made mistakes editing in checks, such as spacing errors and colour errors. When you've implemented this check and finished up, I'll just give the analysis a quick read over for any possible mistakes.

Sounds good? Sounds good.

[​IMG]

GP 2/2
  23. Biosci

Biosci !

Thanks for the check, I read through it twice to make sure I didn't have the spacing and coloring issues again. So once you tell me it's good for yourself, I'll mark it as done.
  24. Shame That

Shame That night after night
    is a Battle Server Moderatoris a Contributor Alumnus

Looks good now, I guess. Just be really careful when implementing this, and there shouldn't be a problem!

[​IMG]

GP 3/2
  25. Biosci

Biosci !

x_x You know what, I'm just gonna edit it in by hand next time like I did with my first check. Thanks for the check again

This is now done.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)