Murkrow [QC: 3/3] [GP 2/2]

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
the best utility of prankster mon is twave which both the sets have otherwise the utility set is just mediocre when we have flying types with actual bulk and other utility like defog (prankster is illegal w/ defog on krow)

it is definitely not worth a set

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
say how Rain Dance/Sunny Day are outclassed by Volbeat as it has Encore and U-turn
Get rid of Psych Up mention

kevinrocks

Merry Wanderer of the Night
Yes sorry, i did not get any notifications from this for some reason and am working on it right now

Anty are you referring to my first other options point? I had an earlier set on there and am unsure of what you

Edit: sorry, now i realized that you were talking to gamer boy, it was on the other page so i didn't see it until after. I will look over both replies and go from there

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sorry this hasnt been touched in a while. The rest of the QC team all agree that CM isnt good enough for a set as so many mons that check it have gotten better (zebby/raichu/clefairy/stoutland to name a few)

The overview talks a lot about non relevant things (eg foul play/competition from other prankster users), and ofc should now be focused on offensive set, for example mention competition from pawniard/dodrio.

UT is not complete (not only the first bullet point but the whole section), and similar w/ TO; they are both lacking

C&C is also not relevant to the set either so should be redone (other than stealth rock)

kevinrocks

kevinrocks

The first bullet i must have looked over, as i worked on it in multiple tabs it must have not saved in one of them. Anyway, i'll work on in the next few days.

Edit #1 Should i include cm in OO then?

Last edited:
hi :] you know im not qc but i can try to help

[OVERVIEW]
-remove mention of roost, as its not in the main set anymore

[SET]
-slash hp fight before hp grass, probopass is much more relevant than golem rn

Set Details
========
-mention that putting the last 4 into SpA also lets you switch into stealth rock 4 times
-give an example of a KO that is given with the help of life orb

Usage Tips
========
-mention that murkrow should mainly be used as a wallbreaker
-mention that taunt can be used to prevent the foe from using a status move, setting up, etc

Team Options
========
-replace lumineon mention with pelipper (lumineon is bad lol)
  • Some people will see offensive Murkrow as an opportunity to set up. Make sure to Thunder Wave/Taunt to stop this. Some Pokemon will set up knowing what moves you have, so make sure not to walk into a Weakness Policy trap. - this belongs in usage tips
-mention other hazard setters for murkrow (also mentioning spikes setters such as roselia)
-i would say murkrow is a better fit on just plain offense rather than bulky offense, but ill let qc decide on that

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
-mention calm mind here

Checks & Counters
===================
-instead of having two sections with "stealth rock" and "switching in", combine the two and name it "Residual Damage", which includes stealth rock and life orb damage
-remove togetic mention and rename "bulkier threats" to just "bulkier pokemon"
-**Faster Offensive Threats** Despite Murkrow's impressive speed stat, some Pokemon are faster or carry the Choice Scarf item, and have the capability of knocking out Murkrow. Some examples of this are Rotom-F and Zebstrika. However, if you get them to below half health, Sucker Punch can pick them off. - rename to "Faster Pokemon"
-mention electric-types
-mention rock-types (even though you can hit them with hp fight or grass, most of them can still take a hit and ohko back)

hope i helped :]

kevinrocks

Thank you Simipour so much, any help is appreciated and you really went out of your way to write all that up :O Nearly done editing it all in.

Anty

let's drop
Firstly remove mentions of banned pokes

overview:
'A fairly good offensive movepool, with very good coverage, giving it some versatility' - this isnt actually true as it only really has 3 moves + hidden power (two of which are its stabs)
Also generally what you say is stuff which you can easily see on the dex. For example:
'Has Prankster, a relatively uncommon but great ability'
You have to relate it to the PU metagame for it to be relevant
'Very item reliant for bulk, and will thus lack it in an offensive set' - this isnt relevant when its only set uses life orb
You say it receives competition from other mons, but you also need to say why you would use murkrow over those two mons

UT:
'Some people will see offensive Murkrow as an opportunity to set up. Make sure to Thunder Wave/Taunt to stop this. Some Pokemon will set up knowing what moves you have, so make sure not to walk into a Weakness Policy trap.' - Krow isnt fodder for any PU set up sweeper since non can take a brave bird/hidden power + sucker punch, and what you say about WP is a bit vague, and also imo irrelevant as there is only one mon which runs WP
The last two bullet points are quite obvious and dont need to be said

TO:
I wouldnt mention aromatheropy/heal bell users as there arent many that fit onto offensive teams for it to be relevant enough

OO: You need to expand on some of the options, for example saying something is interesting really doesnt mean much. Also night shade doesnt do much, as on defensive sets foul play would be better, and offensive sets do more than 100 damage to every poke

c&c: For bulkier targets, HP fighting does less than bb to every dark type now that pawniard is gone, probopass is a better example. Also this section should be called **Defensive Pokemon**
You should also mention examples for rock-types

kevinrocks the set is looking decent, its mainly the overview that needs work

rubsomebacononit

I was cringe and annoying when I was on smogon RIP
is a Contributor Alumnus
hey kevin. not qc, but here are some suggestions

[13:49:05] rubsomebacononit: Also um
[13:49:49] rubsomebacononit: Replace Gigalith in "Rock-types" with something more relevant
[13:50:52] rubsomebacononit: Maybe Golem,
[13:50:52] rubsomebacononit: well obviously they cant switch in
[13:51:12] rubsomebacononit: on a HP grass
[13:51:20] rubsomebacononit: But it has a powerful stone edge
[13:53:14] rubsomebacononit: also group status with Residual Damage.
[13:54:01] rubsomebacononit: any most Of your Pokemon in "Defensive Pokemon" are also Rock-types, bar piloswine, so maybe change that?
[13:57:34] rubsomebacononit: your choice
[13:59:36] rubsomebacononit: also put eviolite in oo
[14:02:16] rubsomebacononit: ”2 immunities in Psychic and Ground“ name some psychic pokemon such as kadabra
[14:02:38] rubsomebacononit: ”Brave Bird is your hardest hitting move, and with the STAB boost, it can really pack a punch“ - mention it also wears down murkrow quickly
[14:03:31] rubsomebacononit: ”Volt Switch/U-Turn users, to get momentum and a free switch as mentioned above“ - name some slow volt switch & u turn users, like probopass and pelipper

also a few other things:
although you've done this a bit in OO, mention why these things aren't used on a main set. Like for toxic, why is it not recommended.
a few things could be elaborated by examples, a tip when doing analyses is to almost always give examples, just to be thorough.

-You can't really switch in on kadabra since it's faster and can hit you with coverage or twave

-Remove gigalith mention from c&c as it's unviable

2/3

kevinrocks

Hey a quick update my laptop broke so I might not be able to do the write up immediately but will get to it as soon as I get it fixed

Ok got it fixed and have shaky internet but it should be enough for me to start this write up

Last edited:

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
In the Overview, mention Murkrow's Stealth Rock weakness as well comibined with Life Orb recoil wears it down faster and makes it easy to revenge kill. Mention Vibrava as a defogger under Team Options. Piloswine doesn't really stop Rotom-F (it may be immune to Electric- and Ice-moves, but it can't do much back to it bar the rare Toxic and even rarer Stone Edge and Rotom-F can carry Will-O-Wisp too). Mention Probopass as a partner as it does resist most of Murkrow's weaknesses, sets up Stealth Rock, and can provide a slow Volt Switch. Also list some other Volt Switch/U-turn users as well. In Checks and Counters, add Pelipper and Stunfisk under Defensive Pokemon. You already mentioned Electric-types in another section so move Rotom-F and Zebstrika there. For Faster Pokemon, mention Pokemon such as Sawsbuck, Simipour, and Floatzel and mention that they don't like getting paralyzed. Remove the Carracosta mention as well.

3/3. Finally in GP after almost 11 months.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
add
remove
comments
[OVERVIEW]

Murkow's Dark(add space)/(add space)Flying typing lets it hit most of the tier relatively hard with its STAB moves + a coverage move, and lets it Murkrow can also function as a revenge killer and late game clean-uper with Sucker Punch. Its typing also gives it two immunities in to common offensive types; Psychic and Ground, letting it switch in on offensive threats like such as Beheeyem. Although it has good offensive stats, they are but not amazing offensive stats, forcing Murkrow to run Life Orb to gives it the boost it needs to get some KOs. On top of this, Murkrow gets access to Prankster, a rare but useful ability in PU, allowing it to paralyze many of the faster Pokemon in the tier and stop a variety of utility moves with Taunt. However, a look at Murkrow's defensive stats reveals a big downside and doesn't go well with its 3 weaknesses to three common attacking types in Electric, Rock, Ice, and on the to a lesser extent, end Fairy. Common Pokemon like Piloswine and Zebstrika are examples of Pokemon that can take advantage of this. Another downside is that Murkrow is weak to Stealth Rock,(AC) and in combination with the Life Orb recoil, Murkrow can be revenge killed quite easily. Murkrow faces competition from Dodrio, who is more potent in typing and stats, but Murkrow has the aforementioned Prankster as well as a much more powerful priority move, and Dodrio lacks the Special Attacking side that Murkrow can have has.

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Hidden Power Fighting / Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Thunder Wave / Taunt
item: Life Orb
ability: Prankster
nature: Naive
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave bird is your Murkrow's ("you/your refers to the player") hardest hitting STAB move and packs quite the punch, but use it carefully as the heavy recoil is nasty. Sucker Punch gives you is a powerful STAB priority move, helping with bypassing Murkrow's mediocre Speed, and lets you pick off weakened foes. The third move is up to preference and what helps your team the most; Hidden Power Grass can hit things Pokemon such as Golem really hard, while Hidden Power Fighting lets you hit Probopass harder.(add space)Lastly, Thunder Wave can slow down offensive threats or be used as a last ditch effort while Taunt lets you stop bulkier Pokemon like such as Grumpig or Probopass from using status moves.

Set Details
========

A spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe maximizes the damage on your Murkrow's STAB attacks, coverage move,(AC) and Speed, allowing you it to outspeeds a few threats such as Mr. Mime,(AC) while the Naive nature further boosts your Murkrow's Speed without hindering your its Special Attack or Attack. Note that if the 4 Special Attack EVs went into HP, you wouldn't be able to switch into Stealth Rock 4 four times (this sentence is a given imo). Life Orb is the item of choice as the extra boost in power lets allows Murkrow you to get some crucial KOs, such as a guaranteed OHKO on Roselia after Stealth Rock damage.

Usage Tips
========

Murkrow is a wallbreaker, it has coverage to hit common walls very hard and outspeed a few offensive threats such as Monferno and Arbok. However, if you bring it in on something that you don't scare out or KO, it can get knocked out very easily. As Murkrow really lacks the bulk to switch in, its best to either bring it in freely after a KO, or to slow Volt Switch/ or U-turn into it. Great options to fill this role are Probopass and Pelipper, although Pelipper shares many of Murkrow's weaknesses. Weaken the opposing team with hazards and constant pressure, and clean up afterwards with Sucker Punch. If you choose to run Taunt, capitalize on obvious status moves to keep forcing switches onto those hazards. If Thunder Wave is chosen, note that you can sacrifice Murkrow if it means stopping a sweep with Thunder Wave.

Team Options
========

As you want to give Murkrow the most uses of its Life Orb, a Defog/ or Rapid Spin user is a good idea. Pelipper, Vibrava and Torkoal are good options, providing support while resisting some of Murkrow's weaknesses. Piloswine and Probopass are useful teammates, resisting as they resist some more of Murkrow's weaknesses,(RC) and being are able to set up Stealth Rock. Another good hazard setter is Roselia, who can set up Spikes and Toxic Spikes and absorb statuses with Natural Cure. Despite these bulkier Pokemon being suggested, a team leaning towards offence offense will let you keep up pressure and force switches onto your hazards, and gives you more options. Last but not least, Volt Switch/ and U-Turn users are important to get momentum and a free switch. Probopass and Pelipper can provide a slow Volt Switch/ or U-turn,(AC) and other Pokemon such as Zebstrika can also fill this role.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Any non-(AH)offensive set should be coupled with Eviolite, giving Murkrow's pitiful defensive stats a meaningful boost. Calm Mind has many checks but was a popular set on Murkrow in the past and still sees some light. Another used set was Prankster set, making full use of the ability, but Murkrow is lacking in numerous departments and relies on constant recovery and luck. Perish Trapping (Perish song + Mean Look) is more effective on Murkrow than others due to Prankster,(AC) but is generally only works on less experienced or less cautious opponents. Another option is Torment, which is tricky to use but can mess up your opponents plans and force out choice users of Choice items. Finally, Murkrow can provide support by setting up a priority Rain Dance/ or Sunny Day, which is important on weather teams. However, Volbeat also does this well and possibly better with as it provides Encore support, access to U-turn, and also the ability to hold the respective weather rocks which Murkrow lacks the ability to do.

Checks & Counters
===================

**Residual Damage** Stealth Rock takes a big chunk of your Murkrow's health off every time you switch in, and combined with an attack from the opponent, it won't be hard to knock out. Furthermore, Life Orb already puts Murkrow on a timer and gives it a set amount of attacks that it can use. Similarly, status effects greatly hinder your its offensive presence,(AC) and with the lack of Roost on this set, any residual damage can be devastating.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Some Pokemon can easily take Murkrow's hits and KO it, such as Piloswine with Ice STAB. Furthermore, a variety of Pokemon can capitalize on your Murkrow's coverage, depending on which Hidden Power you have it has. Not having Hidden Power Grass will let the likes of Carracosta or Golem avoid knock outs. Not having Hidden Power Fighting will let Probopass wall you.

**Faster Pokemon** Despite Murkrow's impressive Speed stat, some Pokemon are faster or carry the Choice Scarf item, and have the capability of knocking out Murkrow. Some examples of this are Sawsbuck, Simipour and Floatzel. However, these Pokemon don't appreciate getting paralyzed,(AC) and if you get them to below half health, Sucker Punch can pick them off.

**Electric-types**: Electric Types are immune to Thunder Wave and are usually very fast. Murkrow's only means of doing damage to them is Sucker Punch, and most Electric-types can take this and KO back, or predict this and set up. For example Raichu for example, can get a Nasty Plot off, but predicting this and trying to go for Taunt can just as easily get you KOed on the overprediction

**Rock-types**: Even though you have either Hidden Power Fighting or Grass, Rock types like Armaldo can often tank these and KO back with a STAB move.

watch your use of "your" and "(Pokemon)". "Your" usually refers to the player
tagging P Squared GatoDelFuego and Snobalt to look at this :toast:

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hex add
Hex remove
Hex comment

Snobalt add
Snobalt remove
Snobalt comment

Hex be sure to bold your text next time please!
[OVERVIEW]

Murkow's Dark(add space)/(add space)Flying typing lets it hit most of the tier relatively hard with its STAB moves + a coverage move.(period), and lets it Murkrow can also function as a revenge killer and late game clean-uper with Sucker Punch. Its typing also gives it two immunities in to common offensive types; (remove semicolon) in Psychic and Ground, letting it switch in on offensive threats like such as Beheeyem. Although it has good offensive stats, they are but not amazing offensive stats, forcing Murkrow to run Life Orb to gives it the boost it needs to get some KOs. (This sentence should be moved somewhere...*) On top of this, Murkrow gets access to Prankster, a rare but useful ability in PU, allowing it to paralyze many of the faster Pokemon in the tier and stop a variety of utility moves with Taunt. However, a look at Murkrow's defensive stats reveals a big downside and doesn't go well with its 3 weaknesses to common attacking types in Electric, Rock, Ice, and on the to a lesser extent, end Fairy. Common Pokemon like such as Piloswine and Zebstrika are examples of Pokemon that can take advantage of this. (*Yeah. Move it here.) Another downside is that Murkrow is weak to Stealth Rock,(AC) and in combination with the Life Orb recoil, Murkrow can be revenge killed quite easily. Murkrow faces competition from Dodrio, who which is more potent in typing and stats, but Murkrow has the aforementioned Prankster as well as a much more powerful priority move, and Dodrio lacks the Special Attacking side that Murkrow can have has.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave bird is your Murkrow's ("you/your refers to the player") hardest hitting STAB move and packs quite the punch, but use it carefully, (AC) as the heavy recoil is nasty. Sucker Punch gives you is a powerful STAB priority move, helping with bypassing Murkrow's mediocre Speed, (RC) and lets you letting it pick off weakened foes. The third move is up to preference and what helps your team the most; Hidden Power Grass can hit things Pokemon such as Golem really hard, while Hidden Power Fighting lets you hits Probopass harder.(add space)Lastly, Thunder Wave can slow down offensive threats or be used as a last-(AH)ditch effort, (AC) while Taunt lets you Murkrow stop bulkier Pokemon like such as Grumpig or and Probopass from using status moves.

Set Details
========

A spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe maximizes the damage on your Murkrow's STAB attacks, coverage move,(AC) and Speed, allowing you it to outspeeds a few threats such as Mr. Mime,(AC) while the a Naive nature further boosts your Murkrow's Speed without hindering your its Special Attack or Attack. Note that if the 4 Special Attack EVs went into HP, you it wouldn't be able to switch into Stealth Rock 4 four times (this sentence is a given imo). Life Orb is the item of choice as the extra boost in power lets allows Murkrow you to get some crucial KOs, such as a guaranteed OHKO on Roselia with Brave Bird after Stealth Rock damage.

Usage Tips
========

Murkrow is a wallbreaker,; (change to semicolon) it has coverage to hit common walls very hard and outspeed a few offensive threats such as Monferno and Arbok. However, if you bring it in on something that you don't it doesn't scare out or KO, it can get knocked out very easily. As Murkrow really lacks the bulk to switch in, it'(apostrophe)s best to either bring it in freely after a teammate is KOed, or to slow Volt Switch/ or U-turn into it. Great options to fill this role are Probopass and Pelipper, although Pelipper shares many of Murkrow's weaknesses. Weaken the opposing team with entry hazards and constant pressure, and clean up afterwards with Sucker Punch. If you choose to run Taunt, capitalize on obvious status moves to keep forcing switches onto those entry hazards. If Thunder Wave is chosen, note that you can sacrifice Murkrow if it means stopping a sweep with Thunder Wave.

Team Options
========

As you want to give Murkrow the most uses of its Life Orb, a Defog/ or Rapid Spin user is a good idea. Pelipper, Vibrava, (AC) and Torkoal (Serial comma please) are good options, providing support while resisting some of Murkrow's weaknesses. Piloswine and Probopass are useful teammates, resisting as they resist some more of Murkrow's weaknesses,(RC) and being are able to set up Stealth Rock. Another good entry hazard setter is Roselia, who which can set up Spikes and Toxic Spikes and absorb statuses with Natural Cure. Despite these bulkier Pokemon being suggested, a team leaning towards offence offense will let you keep up pressure and force switches onto with your entry hazards up, and as well as gives you more options for teammates. Last but not least, Volt Switch/ and U-Turn U-turn users are important to get momentum and a free switch. Probopass and Pelipper can provide a slow Volt Switch/ or U-turn,(AC) respectively, and other Pokemon such as Zebstrika can also fill this role.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Any non-(AH)offensive set should be coupled with Eviolite, giving Murkrow's pitiful defensive stats a meaningful boost. Calm Mind has many checks but was a popular set on Murkrow in the past and still sees some light in today's metagame. Another used set was option is a Prankster set, making full use of the ability, but Murkrow is lacking in numerous departments (specify) and relies on constant recovery and luck. Perish Trapping (Perish song + Mean Look) is more effective on Murkrow than others Pokemon due to Prankster,(AC) but is it generally only works on less experienced or less cautious opponents. Another option is Torment, which is tricky to use but can mess up your opponent'(apostrophe)s plans and force out choice users of Choice items. Finally, Murkrow can provide support by setting up a priority Rain Dance/ or Sunny Day, which is important on weather teams. However, Volbeat also does this well and possibly better, (AC) with as it provides Encore support, access to U-turn, and also the ability to hold the respective weather rocks, (AC) which Murkrow lacks the ability to do.

Checks & Counters
===================

**Residual Damage** Stealth Rock takes a big chunk of your Murkrow's health off every time you it switches in, and combined with an attack from the opponent foe, it won't be hard to knock out. Furthermore, Life Orb already puts Murkrow on a timer and gives it a set amount of attacks that it can use. Similarly, status effects greatly hinder your its offensive presence,(AC) and with the lack of Roost on this set, any residual damage can be devastating.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Some Pokemon can easily take Murkrow's hits and KO it, such as Piloswine with Ice STAB. Furthermore, a variety of Pokemon can capitalize on your Murkrow's coverage, (EC) depending on which Hidden Power you have it has. Not having Hidden Power Grass will let the likes of Carracosta or Golem avoid knock outs KOs, and not. Not having Hidden Power Fighting will let Probopass wall you it.

**Faster Pokemon**:(colon) Despite Murkrow's impressive Speed stat, some Pokemon are faster or carry the Choice Scarf item, and have the capability of knocking out are powerful enough to KO Murkrow, such as. Some examples of this are Sawsbuck, Simipour, (AC) and Floatzel. However, these Pokemon don't appreciate getting paralyzed,(AC) and if you Murkrow can get them to below half health, Sucker Punch can pick them off.

**Electric-types**: Electric-types Types are immune to Thunder Wave and are usually very fast. Murkrow's only means of doing damage to them is Sucker Punch, and most Electric-types can take this and KO back, or predict this and set up. For example, Raichu for example, can get a Nasty Plot off, but predicting this and trying to go for Taunt can just as easily get you Murkrow KOed on the overprediction. (period)

**Rock-types**: Even though you have Murkrow has either Hidden Power Fighting or Grass, Rock-(AH)types like such as Armaldo can often tank these and KO back with a STAB move.

Very good about "your" vs. "Pokemon," Hex. Great changes overall, but don't be afraid to make lots of them if need be! I'll stamp it because your changes were almost entirely correct, but I've got a few pieces of advice.
  1. While you nailed "your" vs. "Pokemon," you have to remember "who" vs. "which." Never refer to a Pokemon as "who!" On the topic of "which," make sure it always has a comma proceeding it.
  2. You can afford to be liberal with cutting out fluff. Concise is better; use your best judgment on what's necessary and what's not!
  3. Talking about past generations/games is not allowed.
  4. Don't rush. Although you clearly know about "your" vs "Pokemon," you missed several instances of it. I know it's frustrating because am checkers cannot placehold checks, so I'll try to work this out with the other guys.
  5. When using "as" in lieu of "because," it needs a comma preceding it. Don't forget the serial comma, either!
With the serial comma: We invited the strippers, Matt, and Tommy. Our kinda party.
Without the serial comma: We invited the strippers, Matt and Tommy. Now picture us two. Aren't we hot...?
GP 1/2

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
aight boys it's time for another PARALLELISM LESSON, brought to you by DUNKIN DONUTS COLORS

As Murkrow really lacks the bulk to switch in, it's best to either bring it in freely after a teammate is KOed, or to Volt Switch or U-turn into it.
The format is "either x or y", and x and y have to be parallel. Everything after either but before or becomes x. If x and y are parallel, you should always be able to do the following.

He wants to eat either pancakes or french toast.
Remove "either", "or", and y: He wants to eat pancakes. (correct)
Remove "either", "or", and x: He wants to eat french toast. (correct)

He wants to either eat pancakes or french toast.
Remove "either", "or", and x: He wants to french toast. (not correct unless this is a strange euphemism)

Back to Murkrow, removing the irrelevant parts of the sentence:

It's best to either bring it in freely after a teammate is KOed, or to Volt Switch or U-turn into it.
These already don't look parallel, but let's try out the test anyways.

Remove "either", "or", and y: It's best to bring it in freely after a teammate is KOed. (correct)
Remove "either", "or", and x: It's best to to Volt Switch or U-turn into it. (not correct unless you stutter)

A similar principle goes for "neither x nor y", "not only x but also y", and more that I can't remember at the moment.
I know you guys were probably just rushing but hey I already typed this out so I'm going to tag you: Snobalt Ununhexium

...anyways this is 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Murkow's Dark / Flying typing lets it hit most of the tier metagame relatively hard with its STAB moves + plus a coverage move. Murkrow can also function as a revenge killer and late-game cleaner with Sucker Punch. Its typing also gives it two immunities to common offensive types in Psychic and Ground, letting it switch in on offensive threats such as Beheeyem. On top of this, Murkrow gets access to Prankster, a rare but useful ability in PU, allowing it to paralyze many of the faster Pokemon in the tier metagame and stop a variety of utility moves with Taunt. However, a look at Murkrow's defensive stats reveals a big downside; (ASC) its poor bulk and doesn't go well with its weaknesses to common attacking types in Electric, Rock, Ice, and to a lesser extent, (RC) Fairy. Common Pokemon such as Piloswine and Zebstrika can take advantage of this. Although it has good offensive stats, they are not amazing, forcing Murkrow to run Life Orb to give it the boost it needs to get some KOs. Another downside is that Murkrow is weak to Stealth Rock, and when this is combined in combination with Life Orb recoil, Murkrow can be revenge killed quite easily. Murkrow also faces competition from Dodrio, which is more potent in typing and stats, but Murkrow has Prankster as well as a much more powerful priority move, and Dodrio lacks the Special Attack that Murkrow has.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird is Murkrow's hardest hitting STAB move and packs quite the punch, but you should use it carefully, as the heavy recoil is nasty. Sucker Punch is a powerful STAB priority move, bypassing Murkrow's mediocre Speed and letting it pick off weakened foes. The third move is up to preference and what helps your team the most; Hidden Power Grass can hit Pokemon such as Golem really hard, while Hidden Power Fighting hits Probopass harder. Lastly, Thunder Wave can slow down offensive threats or be used as a last-ditch effort, while Taunt lets Murkrow stop bulkier Pokemon such as Grumpig and Probopass from using status moves.

Set Details
========

A spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe maximizes the damage on power of Murkrow's STAB attacks, coverage move, and enhances its Speed, allowing it to outspeed a few threats such as Mr. Mime, while a Naive nature further boosts Murkrow's Speed without hindering its Special Attack or Attack. Note that if the 4 Special Attack EVs went into HP, it wouldn't be able to switch into Stealth Rock four times. (I don't think this is true. PS! tells me that Murkrow's uninvested HP is 261, so SR damage would be 261/4=65.25, which rounds down to 65. if you invest 4 EVs into HP, Murkrow's HP becomes 262, and SR damage would be 262/4=65.5, which rounds down to 65 -- the same number. please address this before you mark this Done.) Life Orb allows Murkrow to get some crucial KOs, such as a guaranteed OHKO on Roselia with Brave Bird after Stealth Rock damage.

Usage Tips
========

Murkrow is a wallbreaker; it has coverage to hit common walls very hard and can outspeed a few offensive threats such as Monferno and Arbok. However, if you bring it in on a foe something that it doesn't scare out or KO, it can get knocked out very easily. As Murkrow really lacks the bulk to switch in, it's best to either to bring it in freely after a teammate is KOed, (RC) or to Volt Switch or U-turn into it. Great options to fill this role are Probopass and Pelipper, although Pelipper shares many of Murkrow's weaknesses. Weaken the opposing team with entry hazards and constant pressure, and clean up afterwards with Sucker Punch. If you choose to run Taunt, capitalize on obvious status moves to keep forcing switches onto those into the entry hazards. If Thunder Wave is chosen, note that you can sacrifice Murkrow if it means stopping a sweep with Thunder Wave.

Team Options
========

As you want to give Murkrow the most uses of its Life Orb, a Defog or Rapid Spin user is a good idea. Pelipper, Vibrava, and Torkoal are good options, providing support while resisting some of Murkrow's weaknesses. Piloswine and Probopass are useful teammates, as they resist some more of Murkrow's weaknesses and are able to set up Stealth Rock. Another good entry hazard setter is Roselia, which can set up Spikes and Toxic Spikes and absorb status with Natural Cure. Despite these bulkier Pokemon being suggested, a team leaning towards offense will keep up pressure and force switches with your entry hazards up, as well as give you more options for teammates. Last but not least, Volt Switch and U-turn users are important to get momentum and a free switch. Probopass and Pelipper can provide a slow Volt Switch and U-turn, respectively, and other Pokemon such as Zebstrika can also fill this role.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Any non-offensive set should be coupled with Eviolite, giving Murkrow's pitiful defensive stats a meaningful boost. Calm Mind has many checks but still sees some light in today's metagame (try to avoid time-sensitive info). Another set option is a Prankster set, making full use of the ability, but Murkrow is lacking a bit in bulk, is weak to Stealth Rock, and relies on constant recovery and luck. Perish trapping is more effective on Murkrow than other Pokemon due to Prankster, but it generally only works on less experienced or less cautious opponents. Another option is Torment, which is tricky to use but can mess up your opponent's plans and force out users of Choice items. Finally, Murkrow can provide support by setting up a priority Rain Dance or Sunny Day, which is important on weather teams. However, Volbeat also does this well and possibly better, as it provides Encore support, access to U-turn, and also the ability to hold the respective weather rocks, which Murkrow lacks the ability to do.

Checks & Counters
===================

**Residual Damage**: (ACO) Stealth Rock takes a big chunk of Murkrow's health off every time it switches in, and when it is combined with an attack from the foe, it Murkrow won't be hard to knock out. Furthermore, Life Orb already puts Murkrow on a timer and gives it a set amount number of attacks that it can use. Similarly, status effects greatly hinder its offensive presence, and because Murkrow doesn't usually run Roost with the lack of Roost on this set, any residual damage can be devastating.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Some Pokemon can easily take Murkrow's hits and KO it. Furthermore, a variety of Pokemon can capitalize on Murkrow's coverage depending on which Hidden Power it has. Not having Hidden Power Grass will let the likes of Carracosta or and Golem avoid KOs, and not having Hidden Power Fighting will let Probopass wall it Murkrow.

**Faster Pokemon**: Despite Murkrow's impressive Speed stat, some Pokemon are faster or carry Choice Scarf, (RC) and are powerful enough to KO Murkrow, such as Sawsbuck, Simipour, and Floatzel. However, these Pokemon don't appreciate getting paralyzed, and if Murkrow can get them to below half health, Sucker Punch can pick them off.

**Electric-types**: Electric-types are immune to Thunder Wave and are usually very fast. Murkrow's only means of doing damage to them is with Sucker Punch, and most Electric-types can take this and KO back, (RC) or predict this and set up. For example, Raichu can get a Nasty Plot off, but predicting this and trying to go for Taunt can just as easily get Murkrow KOed on the overprediction.

**Rock-types**: Even though Murkrow has either Hidden Power Fighting or Hidden Power Grass, Rock-types such as Armaldo can often tank these attacks and KO back with a STAB move.

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
aight boys it's time for another PARALLELISM LESSON, brought to you by DUNKIN DONUTS COLORS

The format is "either x or y", and x and y have to be parallel. Everything after either but before or becomes x. If x and y are parallel, you should always be able to do the following.

He wants to eat either pancakes or french toast.
Remove "either", "or", and x: He wants to eat french toast. (correct)

He wants to either eat pancakes or french toast.
Remove "either", "or", and x: He wants to french toast. (not correct unless this is a strange euphemism)

Back to Murkrow, removing the irrelevant parts of the sentence:

It's best to either bring it in freely after a teammate is KOed, or to Volt Switch or U-turn into it.
These already don't look parallel, but let's try out the test anyways.

Remove "either", "or", and y: It's best to bring it in freely after a teammate is KOed. (correct)
Remove "either", "or", and x: It's best to to Volt Switch or U-turn into it. (not correct unless you stutter)

A similar principle goes for "neither x nor y", "not only x but also y", and more that I can't remember at the moment.
I know you guys were probably just rushing but hey I already typed this out so I'm going to tag you: Snobalt Ununhexium

...anyways this is 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Murkow's Dark / Flying typing lets it hit most of the tier metagame relatively hard with its STAB moves + plus a coverage move. Murkrow can also function as a revenge killer and late-game cleaner with Sucker Punch. Its typing also gives it two immunities to common offensive types in Psychic and Ground, letting it switch in on offensive threats such as Beheeyem. On top of this, Murkrow gets access to Prankster, a rare but useful ability in PU, allowing it to paralyze many of the faster Pokemon in the tier metagame and stop a variety of utility moves with Taunt. However, a look at Murkrow's defensive stats reveals a big downside; (ASC) its poor bulk and doesn't go well with its weaknesses to common attacking types in Electric, Rock, Ice, and to a lesser extent, (RC) Fairy. Common Pokemon such as Piloswine and Zebstrika can take advantage of this. Although it has good offensive stats, they are not amazing, forcing Murkrow to run Life Orb to give it the boost it needs to get some KOs. Another downside is that Murkrow is weak to Stealth Rock, and when this is combined in combination with Life Orb recoil, Murkrow can be revenge killed quite easily. Murkrow also faces competition from Dodrio, which is more potent in typing and stats, but Murkrow has Prankster as well as a much more powerful priority move, and Dodrio lacks the Special Attack that Murkrow has.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird is Murkrow's hardest hitting STAB move and packs quite the punch, but you should use it carefully, as the heavy recoil is nasty. Sucker Punch is a powerful STAB priority move, bypassing Murkrow's mediocre Speed and letting it pick off weakened foes. The third move is up to preference and what helps your team the most; Hidden Power Grass can hit Pokemon such as Golem really hard, while Hidden Power Fighting hits Probopass harder. Lastly, Thunder Wave can slow down offensive threats or be used as a last-ditch effort, while Taunt lets Murkrow stop bulkier Pokemon such as Grumpig and Probopass from using status moves.

Set Details
========

A spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe maximizes the damage on power of Murkrow's STAB attacks, coverage move, and enhances its Speed, allowing it to outspeed a few threats such as Mr. Mime, while a Naive nature further boosts Murkrow's Speed without hindering its Special Attack or Attack. Note that if the 4 Special Attack EVs went into HP, it wouldn't be able to switch into Stealth Rock four times. (I don't think this is true. PS! tells me that Murkrow's uninvested HP is 261, so SR damage would be 261/4=65.25, which rounds down to 65. if you invest 4 EVs into HP, Murkrow's HP becomes 262, and SR damage would be 262/4=65.5, which rounds down to 65 -- the same number. please address this before you mark this Done.) Life Orb allows Murkrow to get some crucial KOs, such as a guaranteed OHKO on Roselia with Brave Bird after Stealth Rock damage.

Usage Tips
========

Murkrow is a wallbreaker; it has coverage to hit common walls very hard and can outspeed a few offensive threats such as Monferno and Arbok. However, if you bring it in on a foe something that it doesn't scare out or KO, it can get knocked out very easily. As Murkrow really lacks the bulk to switch in, it's best to either to bring it in freely after a teammate is KOed, (RC) or to Volt Switch or U-turn into it. Great options to fill this role are Probopass and Pelipper, although Pelipper shares many of Murkrow's weaknesses. Weaken the opposing team with entry hazards and constant pressure, and clean up afterwards with Sucker Punch. If you choose to run Taunt, capitalize on obvious status moves to keep forcing switches onto those into the entry hazards. If Thunder Wave is chosen, note that you can sacrifice Murkrow if it means stopping a sweep with Thunder Wave.

Team Options
========

As you want to give Murkrow the most uses of its Life Orb, a Defog or Rapid Spin user is a good idea. Pelipper, Vibrava, and Torkoal are good options, providing support while resisting some of Murkrow's weaknesses. Piloswine and Probopass are useful teammates, as they resist some more of Murkrow's weaknesses and are able to set up Stealth Rock. Another good entry hazard setter is Roselia, which can set up Spikes and Toxic Spikes and absorb status with Natural Cure. Despite these bulkier Pokemon being suggested, a team leaning towards offense will keep up pressure and force switches with your entry hazards up, as well as give you more options for teammates. Last but not least, Volt Switch and U-turn users are important to get momentum and a free switch. Probopass and Pelipper can provide a slow Volt Switch and U-turn, respectively, and other Pokemon such as Zebstrika can also fill this role.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Any non-offensive set should be coupled with Eviolite, giving Murkrow's pitiful defensive stats a meaningful boost. Calm Mind has many checks but still sees some light in today's metagame (try to avoid time-sensitive info). Another set option is a Prankster set, making full use of the ability, but Murkrow is lacking a bit in bulk, is weak to Stealth Rock, and relies on constant recovery and luck. Perish trapping is more effective on Murkrow than other Pokemon due to Prankster, but it generally only works on less experienced or less cautious opponents. Another option is Torment, which is tricky to use but can mess up your opponent's plans and force out users of Choice items. Finally, Murkrow can provide support by setting up a priority Rain Dance or Sunny Day, which is important on weather teams. However, Volbeat also does this well and possibly better, as it provides Encore support, access to U-turn, and also the ability to hold the respective weather rocks, which Murkrow lacks the ability to do.

Checks & Counters
===================

**Residual Damage**: (ACO) Stealth Rock takes a big chunk of Murkrow's health off every time it switches in, and when it is combined with an attack from the foe, it Murkrow won't be hard to knock out. Furthermore, Life Orb already puts Murkrow on a timer and gives it a set amount number of attacks that it can use. Similarly, status effects greatly hinder its offensive presence, and because Murkrow doesn't usually run Roost with the lack of Roost on this set, any residual damage can be devastating.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Some Pokemon can easily take Murkrow's hits and KO it. Furthermore, a variety of Pokemon can capitalize on Murkrow's coverage depending on which Hidden Power it has. Not having Hidden Power Grass will let the likes of Carracosta or and Golem avoid KOs, and not having Hidden Power Fighting will let Probopass wall it Murkrow.

**Faster Pokemon**: Despite Murkrow's impressive Speed stat, some Pokemon are faster or carry Choice Scarf, (RC) and are powerful enough to KO Murkrow, such as Sawsbuck, Simipour, and Floatzel. However, these Pokemon don't appreciate getting paralyzed, and if Murkrow can get them to below half health, Sucker Punch can pick them off.

**Electric-types**: Electric-types are immune to Thunder Wave and are usually very fast. Murkrow's only means of doing damage to them is with Sucker Punch, and most Electric-types can take this and KO back, (RC) or predict this and set up. For example, Raichu can get a Nasty Plot off, but predicting this and trying to go for Taunt can just as easily get Murkrow KOed on the overprediction.

**Rock-types**: Even though Murkrow has either Hidden Power Fighting or Hidden Power Grass, Rock-types such as Armaldo can often tank these attacks and KO back with a STAB move.
Yeah I just missed that one :P

p2 edit: no prob, that's what 2/2 is for ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)