Musharna (Analysis)

Musharna

[Overview]

<p>Musharna's low speed, solid defenses, and high special attack place it among the premiere users of Trick Room in doubles play. In a metagame populated by Fighting and Poison-type Pokemon, Psychic isn't even a bad STAB option. Also, Musharna has access to several good support moves, including Helping Hand, Mirror Coat, and Imprison. Although it is outclassed offensively by Rankurusu, Musharna does enjoy better defensive stats and a lower speed. </p>

[SET]
name: Trick Room Support
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Helping Hand
move 4: Light Screen/ Moonlight
item: Mental Herb / Sitrus Berry
ability: Telepathy
nature: Sassy
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Musharna shines here as a superb setup Pokemon, one that is capable of surviving a STAB, super-effective attack from anything in the metagame provided the correct nature and EVs. Capable of both setting up Trick Room and stopping it with Imprison, this monster can be quite a pest against an unprepared team.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Musharna works well in two basic team types: Trick Room and Goodstuffs. In a Trick Room context, this kidney bean can provide the needed environment for monsters such as Roobushin, Gigaiasu, Kurimugan, Shibirudon, and Shubarugo. For all other teams, Musharna can act as a counter to Trick Room by using the move itself. Terrakion is a notable fastmon in this metagame, and can demolish opposing teams with its fast, STAB Rock Slide under normal conditions.

[Other Options]

<p>Musharna can also function well with a Physically-defensive set by using a Relaxed nature and moving EVs from Special Defense to Defense.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Countering Musharna can be a daunting task until you know how it is EV'd. With Gen 5's emasculation of Taunt and the overall utility of Mental Herb, an opponent can have a hard time keeping the field clear of Trick Room. The best options that remain include Spore from Morobareru, using Trick Room on your own team, Shandera's Shadow Ball, or a Crunch from Waribaru or other powerful Dark-type Pokemon. One on one, any Dark-type Pokemon will own Musharna, as it lacks Focus Blast.</p>

[Optional Changes]

Musharna also learns Magic Coat, which can be handy in a status war, but is a risky maneuver if the opponent chooses to attack. Depending on the needs of your team, a different support option can be selected, and Musharna learns many good moves. This list includes Reflect, Rain Dance, Yawn, and Toxic. Although its attack move pool is weak, Musharna does boast an above-average 107 Special Attack stat, and can learn Charge Beam to boost it even higher.

Too many slashes, imo. I'm not a QC guy but why not try changing it to

- Trick Room (obv)
- Psychic (needs an attack move)
- Helping Hand / Light Screen / Rest

On another note I think that Rest is a waste of a move-slot. It's bulky and all but it doesn't support the team with Rest and on top Rest needs Chesto Berry so you can't Mental Herb it. Another option to consider is Magic Coat for bumping back Taunt / Spore but that's risky since you're losing a turn if the opponent just attacks.

Too many slashes, imo. I'm not a QC guy but why not try changing it to

- Trick Room (obv)
- Psychic (needs an attack move)

On another note I think that Rest is a waste of a move-slot. It's bulky and all but it doesn't support the team with Rest and on top Rest needs Chesto Berry so you can't Mental Herb it. Another option to consider is Magic Coat for bumping back Taunt / Spore but that's risky since you're losing a turn if the opponent just attacks.
Sure, I had just posted what I was running at the time with reasonable success. I had found that Chesto Berry worked well due to Spore abuse, but it's probably an inferior option over Mental Herb. I moved it to "Other Options", since it still has some surprise value. On another note - you may not be a QC member, but you're still an expert. Thank you for your input.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I have found that if Mental Herb is not used, Magic Coat is 100% necessary. I would much rather reflect taunt, spore, encore, what have you back at the user than wake up from spore / rest once :D

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I agree that Rest does not deserve a slashed spot, it should be relegated to OC. I think it should look like this:

- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Helping Hand
- Light Screen / Moonlight

With Reflect, Rest, Yawn, Toxic, Rain Dance, and other offensive moves all mentioned in OC.

I also think that leftovers isn't worth slashing in, just only mention Mental Herb.

I have found that if Mental Herb is not used, Magic Coat is 100% necessary. I would much rather reflect taunt, spore, encore, what have you back at the user than wake up from spore / rest once :D
Good point.
I agree that Rest does not deserve a slashed spot, it should be relegated to OC. I think it should look like this:

- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Helping Hand
- Light Screen / Moonlight

With Reflect, Rest, Yawn, Toxic, Rain Dance, and other offensive moves all mentioned in OC.

I also think that leftovers isn't worth slashing in, just only mention Mental Herb.
Thank you to you both - I have made the above changes.

Can anyone tell me what Light Screen has over Reflect? Common teamates are Sazandora, weak to Fighting, and Randorosu which is weak to Ice. Light Screen protects Randorosu from pokemon like Borutorosu. Most dedicated TR teams are more weak to physical attacks as well, with most of the ghosts not having much against Zuruzukin, Morobareru taking Flight Jewel Acrobats a lot, and Shandera is more afraid of physical attacks as well.

Personally though I've found Chesto Rest very useful, but I didn't even know about Moonlight on it (that's a good idea Alaka!), most people lead in combination with Morobareru and that makes Mental Herb not as useful and Imprison has been shutting down Trick Room a lot recently and Mental Herb can't do anything about that. Seeing that Mushaana can last longer than four turns Leftovers is probably the best option for Mushaana.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Imprison Shaderaa isn't common enough to just give up on trying to protect your TR set up. A few turns of lefties will often be negligible, but whether or not you get TR up can often decide the game. You are already using a pretty dedicated TR set up mon, you might as well go the whole way imo.

Imprison Shaderaa isn't common enough to just give up on trying to protect your TR set up. A few turns of lefties will often be negligible, but whether or not you get TR up can often decide the game. You are already using a pretty dedicated TR set up mon, you might as well go the whole way imo.
Imprison Shandera definitely is common enough now, well from my experience at least, it lacks a good item seeing its teamate Morobareru does stop them from Taunting most of the time, and your right, with Mental Herb you survive Fake Out Taunt (but that is really useless seeing Fake Out Imprison stops Trick Room completely). For Regionals Imprison would barely be used, if at all, due to the level of competition there, I just remembered that it also stops Encore which does make it a lot more useful.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This needs fleshing out. Some detail in team options other than "trick room pokemon" would be nice. Safeguard and Protect are viable options in OC.

kingofmars

Its 2015 somewhere
won the 2nd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Taunt has become less common in VGC, with only Voltlos and Tornelos still running it. Also, Sitrus berry is a great item for Mushaana so it can survive double targeting by the opponent and set up Trick Room. It deserves a slash. For anti-Trick Room Mushaana's, Imprison is a more reliable way to prevent trick room from being set up than just using Trick Room. Mention Safeguard in the analysis, since Morobareru pretty much counters Trick Room with spore and preventing him from doing so is always nice. Mushaana also needs 6 speed IV's in order to outspeed minus nature 0 IV Morobareru.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I think you need to at least slash in Sitrus Berry. It makes this thing really annoying.

Otherwise it all looks good.

QC Approved: 2/2

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
add/change
delete

Musharna

[Overview]

<p>Musharna's low Speed, solid defenses, and high Special Attack place it among the premiere users of Trick Room in doubles play. In a metagame populated by Fighting and Poison-type Pokemon, Psychic isn't even a bad STAB option. Also, Musharna has access to several good support moves, including Helping Hand, Mirror Coat, and Imprison. Although it is outclassed offensively by Reuniclus, Musharna does enjoy better defensive stats and a lower speed. </p>

[SET]
name: Trick Room Support
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Helping Hand
move 4: Light Screen/ Moonlight
item: Mental Herb / Sitrus Berry
ability: Telepathy
nature: Sassy
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Musharna shines here as a superb setup support Pokemon, one that is capable of surviving a STAB, super-effective attack from anything in the metagame provided the correct nature and EVs. Capable of both setting up Trick Room and stopping it with Imprison, this monster can be quite a pest against an unprepared team.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Musharna works well in two basic team types: Trick Room and Goodstuffs. In a Trick Room context, this kidney bean can provide the needed environment for monsters such as Roobushin, Gigaiasu, Kurimugan, Shibirudon, and Shubarugo. For all other teams, Musharna can act as a counter to Trick Room by using the move itself. Terrakion is a notable fast Pokemon in this metagame, and can demolish opposing teams with its fast, STAB Rock Slide under normal conditions. Musharna is capable of preserving those conditions.

[Other Options]

<p>Musharna can also function well with a physically-defensive set by using a Relaxed nature and moving EVs from Special Defense to Defense.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Countering Musharna can be a daunting task until you know how it is EV'd. With BW's weakened emasculation of Taunt and the overall utility of Mental Herb, an opponent can have a hard time keeping the field clear of Trick Room. The best options that remain include Spore from Morobareru Amoonguss, using Trick Room on your own team, Shandera Chandelure's Shadow Ball, or a Crunch from Waribaru Krookodile or other powerful Dark-type Pokemon. One on one, any Dark-type Pokemon will own easily defeat Musharna, as it lacks Focus Blast.</p>

[Optional Changes]

Musharna also learns Magic Coat, which can be handy in a status war, but is a risky maneuver if the opponent chooses to attack. Depending on the needs of your team, a different support option can be selected, and Musharna learns many good moves. This list includes Reflect, Rain Dance, Yawn, and Toxic. Although its attack movepool is weak, Musharna does boast an above-average 107 Special Attack stat, and can learn Charge Beam to boost it even higher.

1/2

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
This will need a new author since For54years hasn't been active since March 24th, and the comments could use some beefing up.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Muffinhead is taking over this analysis so it can be moved to L&O unless anybody has any objections.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)